Commence CRM

Commence Corporation is a provider of Customer Relationship Management Software serving small to mid-size enterprises.

Work for Commence CRM?

Learning about Commence CRM?

Commence CRM Reviews

Ask Commence CRM a Question
Showing 17 Commence CRM reviews
Commence CRM review by <span>Bob B.</span>
Bob B.

"Commence - still the best"

What do you like best?

Flexible - fits all small and midsized companies, multiple ways to use. I've used it over 21 years - people there are dependable and helpful. I organize my world into just 3 categories: everything is either a person, a company or an activity - and the number of connections between and among these 3 categories is infinite

What do you dislike?

Because it's extraordinarily adaptable with a gazillion options, you need a professional to help you plan what you want and how you want to use it. It's calendar functionality was degrated when the product upgraded to look like Outlook. It is still far better than Outlook or Google in connecting all activities people and companies for meetings and planning - but visually inferior . It's too bad - It wouldn't take much to fix.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've used it in my institutional broker-dealer, a county treasury division, and a 4 billion credit union. it has 4,000 companies, 6000 people and 17,000 activities - all calendared/ timestamped and connected. The speed for backing up is phenomenal - and it's search ability is faster than Google.

best contact manager ever

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Commence CRM
Commence CRM review by Executive Sponsor in Food Production
Executive Sponsor in Food Production

"Great software, easy to customize"

What do you like best?

Robust functionality and extremely easy to customize. Good reporting and analytics.

Technical support has been excellent

Great value half the cost of most competing solutions

What do you dislike?

Wish there was an interface to accounting systems

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good all in one CRM solution that is scalable, easily customizable and ensures you will not outgrow the capabilities. Sales and lead management functions and reporting is clearly better than similar priced products. The support has been very good and has helped us get the most from the product. I recommend it.

Using it for the complete sales cycle from lead detection, qualification to customer service including ticket management, love that it is fully integrated with the other modules so we can have a complete service history for every customer right in front of us.

We even track suppliers with it and anything that needs to be managed oustide the traditional ERP systems.

What CRM solution do you use?

Commence CRM review by <span>Dorothy C.</span>
Dorothy C.

"Commence has changed the way we do business"

What do you like best?

Commence has customized every aspect of their program to meet our particular processes

What do you dislike?

We have made the decision to remain on a client bases system which requires regular syncing and has kept us from moving forward to more robust versions of the product. This results in lags in information sharing and additional support requirements for users who fail to sync regularly.

We are able to capture our interactions with our customers. We are able to classify accounts by their relationship with us and the sales process from lead to customer and to track our competitor pressures. We also maintain controlled documents and other literature in a single repository in Commence. We manage our sampling system and analysis requests. We use Commence to focus our marketing efforts in particular industries or product lines. We use it to distribute inquiries throughout the company.

Commence CRM review by User in Alternative Dispute Resolution
User in Alternative Dispute Resolution

"Terrible...."

What do you like best?

I am obliged to say I have nothing positive to say....

What do you dislike?

I am nearly the first of Commence customers--30 years or so ago. Their customer service is the opposite of "world class," in my view. I recently had a problem, was told that I had somehow failed to pay for a maintenance agreement last year, and it would therefore now cost me more than three times as much to have a maintenance agreement a year (forever)! This despite my three decades of having been a customer--and Commence's having provided me with tech support after their purported deadline by the person they say provided me with the notice to renew maintenance! Please do yourself a favor; Stay away--choose virtually anything else! I'm not a tech, and I'm--obviously--not young, but just consider: If they treat me this way....

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use something else.

Calendar and database

Commence CRM review by <span>Chris L.</span>
Chris L.

"Implementing CRM solutions for SME's "

What do you like best?

Commernce Desktop CRM has been our preferred choice ,for Building Custom CRM solutions for our SME clients ,for the Last 15 Years. It is a flexiple platform that allows a. the build of a system that works according to clients Business procedures (Not the other way around) and following the initial implementation a Client without special programming skills can continue to Evolve the CRM according to Future Needs ON-TIME and without Expensive outsourced Services. The Desktop Commence wraps around exisiting and familiar MS Office Ecosystem.

What do you dislike?

Commence Desktop is not naturally build on a standard SQL database and records coming from the outside world need to be imported. Having said that however in some cases the small and compact proprietary database is fast to backup and Runs. Also a WEB connetion would be desirable

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compile All your needs and choose the vesion that suits you best , if you need total flexibility go with the Desktop vesrion. Do also a financilal analysis to Determine the TCO .

Computerize Specific needs of SMES based on their Business Processes and Help to monitor progress continually improve efficiency through BPR (Business Process Reingineering).

Sectors covered.

Project management

Real Estate, Tennis Clubs, Gyms

Commence CRM review by <span>Nigel P.</span>
Nigel P.

"Commence runs our business"

What do you like best?

We have been using Commence for over 20 years and although we look at other apps from time to time, we have yet to find anything that is as complete a solution.

Our business is optimising workflow processes for our clients , therefore our own foundation revolves around strict processes and Commence can easily be moulded to meet these.

The synchronisation is excellent and the best of both worlds by allowing 100% functionality when away from the office and also when offline.

We recently upgraded to the latest Microsoft offerings and Commence just carried on working without modification. If only all apps did this.

What do you dislike?

There is a web hosted version of Commence called OnDemand which is excellent but not as powerfull as the RM edition which we use. The RM edition works great on Windows tablets but we would also like it to offer the same functionality on Andriod and Mac devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at both the web and PC versions. Take time to see the amazing potential of RM, it will surprise you how far it will go and allow your business to grow without changing software.

we wanted an application that was Windows based and could be highly customised at minimal cost to meet our precise workflow processes. Although many applications claim to do this, Commence was the only one that truly did this without the need of expensive and time consuming programming.

Most of the customisation was completed by our own team and we only needed to call for expertise when it came to integration with 3rd party applications using the Commence API.

Commence CRM review by <span>April B.</span>
April B.

"Very Detailed software"

What do you like best?

We like the flexibility of the reports you can print. I specifically like the multiple ways we can edit the screens if we decide we want something in addition to what is already on the project file it is handled that very day. Very good customer service.

What do you dislike?

It takes a while getting used to the program it has so much to it that it gets overwhelming.

Tracking is 100 times better than before.

Commence CRM review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Commence is doing an excellent job"

What do you like best?

Feature rich product Easy to use Rapid return on investment Very good customer support. We looked at many CRM programs and we felt that Commence gave us the best bang for the buck for what we needed it to go. Happy with what the program allows us to do and the reports it allows us to create..

What do you dislike?

We sell an amazing product to large educational institutions. The sales cycle can be quite long which requires us to capture and store a significant amount of data such as, notes and history, activities, documents and e-mail correspondence. We had been using multiple systems to manage our business and were simply fumbling every time we needed a complete historical profile of customer information. In addition it was almost impossible to maintain. Commence CRM has been invaluable to us. We now have one consolidated system for managing our customer relationships and since everything is stored in the cloud we have access to the most up-to-date information anytime and anywhere. We are pleased with the product and Commence customer service has been excellent.

Commence is doing an excellent job. We Nimble to smartly combine all our contacts, email, social signals, activities, and follow-ups everywhere we work. I joined a new company and I hope I can convince them to implement Commence. I think back to those happy days of Commence, which I have to say is the most user friendly, logical and pretty system that I have ever used. Like an i-pod, Commence was intuitive in its operation.

Commence CRM review by Administrator in Machinery
Administrator in Machinery

"My experience with Commence has been good"

What do you like best?

I like that they are willing to help solve any problems I might have, and help create template for my email marketing.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how they dont always get back to me in a timely fashion. Also when I send marketing emails to mass contacts I get a failed message when I got look at the report, but they told me the messages are actually going though. It's just confusing sometimes to work with.

It is helping our sale representatives with tracking their customers they have been in contact with and what is the latest news from each customer.

Commence CRM review by <span>Marek B.</span>
Marek B.

"Easy to Customize but Requires Babysitting"

What do you like best?

We have used Commence RM Enterprise Edition for 17 years. We have hosted the Commence server on our network this whole time and did not use their Cloud based solution. The best aspect I think is the ability to customize it to our needs. I have developed it from scratch and designed integrated modules for customer interactions, sales call reporting, sales lead handling, expense report submissions, marketing campaigns, project management, catalog fulfillment, etc.

What do you dislike?

Client-server synchronization and connectivity to other databases have been issues ever since we started using Commence.

Commence is a distributed database, which means that each client has its own copy (as opposed to centralized database, which only has a single copy that each user needs to connect to in order to use it). The distributed database is great for a situation when a user needs to access the data in remote locations without good access to Internet. The local database can be used regardless of the connectivity.

The down side of this solution is that the client databases must be synchronized with the server database regularly. If you have a large database, this probably needs to be done daily and the process may be slow and prone to glitches. I get a call every week to fix someone’s synchronization issue.

If you go with the Cloud solution, you won’t have the synchronization problem but each client has to connect to the server (via Internet browser) in order to view information or make changes.

Second weak point is the connectivity to other databases. While it is available, it has proven to be temperamental. I maintain a separate system for manually updating the system for when this happens – but it is time consuming for our (relatively large) database.

I inquired with Commence about moving our current database to their Cloud solution, but I was told that we could not keep the current database. We’d have to switch to the out of the box database they provide.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are starting from scratch and other CRM solutions do not offer the customization to support your business processes, this is probably a good solution for you. I would go with cloud unless you are prepared to spend some time maintaining the database each week. The more complex your database, the more time you will spend babysitting it.

The Commence comes out of the box with some basic functionality that you can build on. You do not need programing expertise to customize Commence, but it helps to learn the basics of how to set up a database. If you are at least somewhat familiar with Visual Basic scripting, you can also customize input in your detail forms (such as validation of users' input, naming new record before saving, etc.). Scripted forms also save number of changes that have to be synchronized between the server and client databases - this is more important for databases with lots of user input.

If you are not able/willing to learn at least some basic concepts about databases and how they work, you may need some outside help to customize your database.

We are using Commence for Sales Force Automation, internal communication between inside sales, outside sales, marketing and accounting, and running marketing campaigns.

Commence CRM review by <span>Steve S.</span>
Steve S.

"Commence CRM"

What do you like best?

Commence CRM allows us to keep track of all pursuits and create reports for forecasting sales requirements

What do you dislike?

The mobile application and remote access could use a bit of work

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall I am happy with Commence CRM

Capturing a full view of sales activity

Commence CRM review by <span>Alaric J.</span>
Alaric J.

"Commence CRM being used by Info Stor in London, UK's Tech City (Shoreditch)"

What do you like best?

We found Commence CRM to be that perfect balance between low cost solutions that offer basic functionality and the mainstream offerings like Microsoft Dynamics and Salesforce.com that offer the world, but are expensive and cumbersome to use. We like the user interface of Commence which is very intuitive and you can tailor the solution quickly and efficiently using the built in administrative tools. Other strong features include a customizable dashboard and excellent reporting including built in analytics.

What do you dislike?

So far we haven't found much to dislike about Commence CRM but, as with all cloud based solutions, continuity of service is dependent on our internet connection. Thankfully in our area connectivity is pretty stable though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the free trial. We found it quite easy to get started and to import our data.

Prior to Commence we were using a combination of spreadsheets and Microsoft Outlook Contacts to manage customer information but that was becoming quite complicated.

Commence CRM review by <span>Todd S.</span>
Todd S.

"Not a matter of "if" - just a matter of how"

What do you like best?

On the topic of CRM and SFA, the functionality and architecture of Commence has shown me time and time again that not only are there no boundaries when it comes to functionality, but it has also proved to be a platform that can be owned and managed on my own (without the additional need and additional cost of constantly going back to a vendor to add/modify/tweak). Sales today is an open platform where the need for timely information dictates success. Other CRM systems I have used and managed present barriers as it relates to ownership and data. Because Commence is a neutral platform I can add/modify/revamp my system as needed and have the changes and workflows transmit themselves throughout my company without having to go through some vendor or third party. I can do I want without limits. I don't have to pay a special charge or a service fee.

What do you dislike?

The interface could use some modernization and it would be nice to have better data mining tools (say, through Excel)

We have automated the entire CRM/SFA aspect of our company) and have been able to do in "our way" and not have the CRM interfere with that (via some preconceived notion created by a the vendor) In addition, all support tickets, order history and expense management have been built into the database.

Commence CRM review by <span>Daniel E.</span>
Daniel E.

"Commence CRM offers functionality that rivals the big brand solutions at half the cost."

What do you like best?

In addition to contact management and sales opportunity management you can add modules for marketing, customer service and project management and at a fair price. Customer service has been excellent and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. We have found the system to be very intuitive and easy to use and we plan to add other modules shortly.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints. Commence CRM meets our team's expectations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Each module builds upon others. Learn each in progression.

We needed a more effective way to capture and manage leads. So, we are using the sales edition which includes contact and account management, task management, e-mail integration, lead management and sales opportunities management. The reporting is great and even the basic system comes with pre-built analytics for leads and sales.

Commence CRM review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Customisable to suit our business"

What do you like best?

Commence provides all the capabilities required for managing our customer information. It is easy to use and training new staff on the basics is done very quickly. We are able to easily make Commence suit our business processes, tracking all customer information. Commence is also tightly integrated with our Outlook implementation, seamlessly tracking emails in and out for each contact.

What do you dislike?

We need to be careful not to over-use the flexibility and properly manage changes - to avoid ugly colour schemes and data tables that get too complex. This simply requires a little management, and use of the permissions system to ensure only authorised users can make system changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Commence is the ideal package for managing customer information, offering excellent value for a small to medium size business.

Customer information, quotes and opportunities, installed base and serial numbers, integration with our accounting system. The benefits are a massive acceleration in the time saved in common tasks, like tracking customer details and notes, serial numbers and contracts, and issuing quotes. All staff have up to date information.

Commence CRM review by User in Investment Management
User in Investment Management

"Very useful for our business"

What do you like best?

Data Storage is very good for storing Client details

What do you dislike?

Not especially user friend in terms of Customer journey

We use Commence for Account management system

Commence CRM review by User in Computer Software

"The most powerful flexible CRM package around "

What do you like best?

The powerful syncing capabilities, works on- and offline, very rich functionality, easily tailored to different and changing needs.

What do you dislike?

The interface of the desktop product is a little outdated but that is absolutely no issue if you take into account the extreme power for the end-user as well as they IT department in tailoring and adding custom functionality in no time

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have no demand, go for any package. If Zoho or even Microsoft CRM or Salesforce donot serve your needs, give Commence a try and you will be flabbergasted!!

Learning about Commence CRM?

* We monitor all Commence CRM reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.