Commvault

Enterprise backup & recovery, data management, data deduplication, archiving, eDiscovery software. Data protection on-premises & in the cloud. Tweets by SJ&AL

Work for Commvault?
Code42 likely to recommend 2x.png

Learning about Commvault?

Commvault Reviews

Showing 46 Commvault reviews
Commvault review by <span>Alejandro P.</span>
Alejandro P.

The best backup software

What do you like best?

You have all in one software and in just an administration console. The deduplication and compression ratio you get from the backups help you a lot to store all backup depending of the policies of retention that you need.

We have several agents or APIs to do better backups of our applications, bare metal, virtual machines, etc

What do you dislike?

To understand all the function or the capabilities is hard, you must take a course to understand how simpana works. The admin console is not to intuitive so you need to figure out where are the option that you need. For this is mandatory take a course if is the first time you use commvoult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price is quite expensive but not for all is the leader at this moment. If you will get for firsts time commvault I recommend to take a certificate course because the administration is quite difficult

We have the security that our backup works and now we can restore with the confidence that the backup will work.

We can do a backup of our ecosystem, we can use the APIs to do better backups of our application like Oracle, MSQL, SharePoint, windows server, Linux server, etc.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Commvault
Commvault review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

Commvault it is a enterprise backup solution for all your needs

What do you like best?

Well let me tell you that Commvault its really a full feature set of backup solutions for all your applications and virtual environment needs. I like the fact that in a single pane of glass I can have all my physical and virtual environments backup. You can define a a very customize backup policies that depends of the application needs. We use it mostly for oracle databases and VMware virtual environment. You can have multiple copies and algo the archiving feature its really neat. Just let your policies handle the automated backup jobs and your're good to go.

What do you dislike?

Ok. let me tell you that in order to use the software to its full extend, you will need to take training. You need to know very well how policies are define and hoy can be schedule and use. So I have to say that it is not a intiuitive product. It has a little of complex to administer it the right way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do a PoC to know how the backup solution works and if it is what are you looking for. Also if you are buying, then is a must to include training.

Before Commvault we had around 3 tools to do the backups of all our applications (virtual and physical), now that we have it for over 2 years, we have automated the backup process really well. Just sit down and let commvault do its stuff.

What Backup solution do you use?

Commvault review by <span>Austin H.</span>
Austin H.

Commvault - The Comprehensive Backup Solution

What do you like best?

One of my favorite features of Commvault is the reliability of backups and the reporting features. When you set up scheduled backups, you can rest comfortably knowing they'll complete. If there is a failure, you get near immediate notification of the failure.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the GUI - it is a little hard to navigate until you really learn the ins and outs of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Setup separate Comcells that are offsite, and replicate to them for Disaster Recovery

We are using Commvault for all of our backup/restoration needs. We have realized how easy it is to quickly restore SQL Database backups in a pinch.

Commvault review by <span>Sebastien L.</span>
Sebastien L.

Maybe the most comprehensive backp software on the market.

What do you like best?

Well, it's quite impossible to enumerate all the software can do ! You can backup anything : any folder on any servers, complete virtual machines, all kinds of databases (there is an agent for SQL, Oracle, etc), active directory. You can manage all the different works by using storage policies (retention time) and schedules. Also you can create personnalized reports which will help you to keep an eye on your backup activites. Restore activites are very easy, just select your system, the date/time then click on browse and restore to find the files you're searching for.

About support, it's always possible to reach Commvault support team very quickly and they are always able to answer our questions.

What do you dislike?

As it is a quite huge sotware, the implementation is a relatively hard process. You will spend a lot of time to fine tune the software if you're in a complex environnement. Hopefully, when implementing, you can be assisted with peoples from Commvault who are very nice and helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to backup multiple kinds of system and data you should consider Simpana ; so powerful !

We're backuping all of our data and virtual machines. The user support team is able to process restores easily and quickly when users needs deleted files. For the infrastructure team, it's very helpful to be able to restore complete virtual machines after some disasters !

Commvault review by <span>Bobby W.</span>
Bobby W.

Backing up All the Things...

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use of this product, just load the agent on the server, or virtually point it there and BAM your all set. the single user interface makes it easy to see what is going on when you need to see it.

What do you dislike?

I can't say that there is anything that I dislike about it since this is the only product that I have ever used, so I don't really know about other products or could truly compare it to something else.

well the problems that we solved is that we didn't have to have a "dedicated" backup administrator. the simplicity of this product allowed all of the members of our team to be able to quickly and easily pick up on how this product runs and what's going on with it on a daily basis.

Commvault review by Administrator in Consumer Goods
Administrator in Consumer Goods

Good support makes up for a kind of clunky product

What do you like best?

Oracle database cloning works pretty well. If everything did work I would say the interface is ok, if extremely large and complex.

What do you dislike?

Where do I start? Delivered features were not as described. We ended up having to purchase additional software to achieve the email archiving functionality promised. Lots of additional proxies were required (and a Server 2012 license for each one). The industry-leading customer service was exactly the opposite. Took forever to get resolutions. Commvault representatives berated me for trying to get escalations for problems that turned out to be known issues. Tech reps unfamiliar with new features. One VM still not backed-up after one solid week of tech support and escalation.

edit: After 5 months and one Service Pack patch things are running fairly smoothly. The application is still prone to unexpected failures along the path from agent to proxy to media server however the tech support is prompt and effective.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest comparing with Unitrends.

Reliable backups and simple and quick restoration of data, including Oracle.

Learning about Commvault?

* We monitor all Commvault reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.