Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Compressor

(12 reviews)

Compressor adds power and flexibility for exporting projects from Final Cut Pro.

Work for Compressor?

Learning about Compressor?

Compare Compressor to Similar Solutions

Compressor Reviews

Showing 12 Compressor reviews
Compressor review by Jonathan D.
Jonathan D.

"Simple compression implementation for Final Cut Users"

What do you like best?

Compressor has hooks for simple use built into Final Cut Pro and Motion. It makes getting your anything from a daily to a final cut created with ease. Being able to grab our custom preset from the impressive list of preset options, and simply drag that onto our project means we take less time configuring and more time getting the next project on the timeline.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if the presets were more directly modifiable. Alternatively, you can very easily copy one of the presets and modify it to your specific needs without risking the original preset settings. One other issue is that the info pane that shows your job status disappears and comes up on a new pane. It would be nice if the completed job were a bit easier to find if the system notification has already passed.

We export 2-3 final videos each week with compressor. We need something that is easy to use and quick on the job. Compressor does both for us! We are able to export in a timely manner and get our videos uploaded and distributed fast thanks to Compressor.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Compressor
Compressor review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"The simplest and most efficient of video conversions on the Mac"

What do you like best?

Compressor starts with predefined workflow presets that enable outputting to your destination formats and platforms with ease, which insures that anything you ingest is output with the container and internal settings that will be needed.

And then you can go beyond that by editing all of the details of each conversion job, all in 1 simple to use interface.

This is also my go-to convertor when bringing in formats that are exported from non-Apple products on jobs that need to be delivered to Apple product users (Final Cut Pro etc). Knowing that your alphas channels and ProRes exports will be ingested on the other end with no problems gives stress-free delivery in a timely fashion. This is especially important when bringing in exports from After Effects/Premiere or 3D applications, as sometimes the minor differences in what should be identical exports can cause the editors who will use the files to have to manually fix things on their own.

What do you dislike?

The primary complaint most of us have isn't with Compressor, it's the fact that the legacy quicktime features are missing from the modern Quicktime tools, which seems to be intended to drive purchases of Compressor. Luckily I'm a user of both Final Cut Pro X and Premiere, as well as other pro video and 3D toolsets, and so the low price of Compressor is a no brainer for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gold standard in mac Video conversion utilities

Ingest, convert to multiple destination (formats/platforms) and all with a few clicks. Fast, efficient and correct! Once 'compressed' problems are few and far in between.

What Other Video solution do you use?

Compressor review by User

"Working with all types of files!"

What do you like best?

Compressor is easy to use and allows me to work with a variety of file formats to compress them to a size usable for DVDs or convert them to another file format. There are a variety of options and customizations, and I have never yet run across a project it could not handle!

What do you dislike?

Its a bit slow, but worth waiting, since it does exactly what I need and it is intended to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work with DVDs and multiple file formats, this is a great program.

Compressor allows me to take huge files and compress them! Self-explanatory! But I can also create high-resolution compressed files to fit on a DVD where the native format would be way to big to use as is. It is my go-to solution for DVD file creation.

Compressor review by Max O.
Max O.

"Compressor is a must have for any Final Cut Pro user"

What do you like best?

Seamless integration with Apple's Motion and Final Cut Pro X;

Output file format customization;

4k support;

Apple ProRes 4444 native support

What do you dislike?

Apple needs to give this app for free when you buy Final Cut Pro X or Motion;

Perhaps it does need to be a separate app, all the features should be integrated in Final Cut Pro X and Motion

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a Mac user and you chose to go with Final Cut Pro X, rather then Adobe Premier Pro, then Compressor is a must have app for you. It seamlessly works with Final Cut Pro exporting, so you can continue working on a new project while the other one is rendering in Compressor. Same goes for Apple's Motion users. I also would recommend to use Apple ProRes 4444 video codec for editing, the quality is amazing.

Our company produces hundreds of videos a month, so video editing is what we do mostly. We receive video files from different sources and devices. To make video editing more fast and seamless, we convert all received videos using Compressor with Apple ProRes 4444 codec without loosing any quality. Then edit these files in Final Cut Pro X, add some effects using Motion and export the final video using Compressor to a suitable mp4 file format.

Compressor review by scottie b.
scottie b.

"Convert many types of videos"

What do you like best?

I like how fast the compression software is. It seems much quicker than most every other conversion software

What do you dislike?

It seems to be very buggy and shuts down sometimes. Also there are not many settings options

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it if you need it with Final Cut Pro, but for a standalone it's pretty horrible.

Compressing the exported video of Final Cut Pro on my mac.

Compressor review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Compressor Review"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use. I work in editing and we have to convert videos to different specs and/or compress them often. The ability to make droplets with specific specs is incredibly useful and time-saving. All the different compression settings are organized neatly and in a way that makes them easy to search through. Obviously nice that you can also customize the output settings.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I don't like. Sometime when converting, glitches can occur. This could also just be because of the original quality of the video. Compressor really is a great program.

We often have to upload creative content (primarily videos) to clients, and each client uses different platforms through which we post the content (i.e. Wiredrive, PIX, etc.). We have to convert our videos to specific specs that correspond to each platform. We make droplets with the desired specs an can just drag and drop the videos into the droplet, saving a lot of time. It's super convenient. When downloading and saving over materials to our database, we usually have to convert the videos into our editing specs which we use Compressor often for.

The batch monitor feature is also great for keeping track of each videos progress.

Compressor review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Compressor Simplifies Video Output"

What do you like best?

The ability for Compressor to take any size file and give me nearly thousands of options for video output with no hassle is a saver of time and effort, and allows me to work on other projects without draining RAM usage. Very easy and simple interface and a familiar one at that, a program that anyone from beginners to experts can learn and master quickly.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike as the program is really cut and dry, but there is room for UI improvement if it came by development. The only other thing possibly is better playback controls and maybe some extra editing options to fine tweak towards the end- not anything you would need a video editing program to do, but improvements towards the crop tool and others couldn't hurt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really like any program (Final Cut Pro comes to mind) that allows a direct export to Compressor as it really takes away a lot of the work and also makes less file crashing/corruption happen.

Quick and easy way to output to nearly any video format, low RAM usage allowing me to use computer for other things instead of the CPU being clogged by rendering a video. Easy to use tool that I can stick anyone I work with on and they can learn in under 5 minutes, great for team projects and quick rendering allowing more time for final edits to be made.

Compressor review by Aaron F.
Aaron F.

"Compressor makes exporting media a breeze"

What do you like best?

Compressor is easy to use, but is extremely rich in features and options.

What do you dislike?

There aren’t any built-in presets that reflect my usual export settings, so I have to create my own.

As a church, we export multiple videos a week to be uploaded online and used in our weekend services. It does it in a timely manner and with great quality.

Compressor review by George B.
George B.

"Compressor for my videos"

What do you like best?

integrated with Final Cut is essential to process videos for the web for me.

What do you dislike?

I would like it to be more integrated to Final Cut with more extensions for 4k video.,my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

for a Mac person using Final Cut Pro is essential.

in my daily work I use the program to compress videos for the web.

Compressor review by Andrea N.
Andrea N.

"It saves me from encore"

What do you like best?

I like how simple it is to use. It saves me when encore will not read exported projects from premiere. Encore somehow has no problems importing projects compressed from compressor.

What do you dislike?

It does take a while to compress long files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this if you're getting error messages in Encore.

Compressor solves the problem of a unreadable export from premiere or encoder. I've realized that compressor file types import into encore better than its own adobe products.

Compressor review by Jonathan L.
Jonathan L.

"I use Compressor for all of my video production work, no matter if it's personal or for business."

What do you like best?

I love how Compressor has so many different codecs that you can utilize for video exporting. It makes editing with Final Cut Pro so much better because of the different codec options.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the software can be a little clunky, which can be annoying when trying to export videos. For the most part though, it is user-friendly.

I am constantly trying to ensure that my clients get the best video options possible, and that is something that Compressor makes easier for me. It is great to have a software that creates so many different codec options for my editing workflow.

Compressor review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"Helpful Program"

What do you like best?

The compressor program really help large files I have edited in final cut get converted in smaller more acute sizes.

What do you dislike?

Compressor can be very hard to use, and requires a lot of training to master.

With compressor I am able to export my files in a variety of formats to help communicate my product in many ways.

Learning about Compressor?

* We monitor all Compressor reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Compressor to Similar Solutions