Construct

Construct is a HTML5 game creator designed for 2D games that allows you to build games without using coding.

Work for Construct?

Learning about Construct?

Construct Reviews

Ask Construct a Question
Showing 17 Construct reviews
Construct review by Jeanne L.
Jeanne L.

"Takes very less space"

What do you like best?

I know that a lot of game development softwares require a complicated setup, and a lot of prerequisites and space. Construct.net has a very easy setup and you can also make the best use of steam. It has great drag and drop options through which you can customize your games and one of the best features is that it does not require you to write hundreds of lines of code to develop your game.

It works really well on different browsers and has a lot of pre-provided solutions.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike; I have absolutely enjoyed creating games for my students as a form of arcade quiz, some therapeutic games etc. The quality is not the best and the options are a bit limiting for creating the games, but it definitely fulfills the purpose.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend everyone to check this software out and make the best use of it during the trial period to see it if meets your requirements.

I use it to design learning based games for different classes, study the effect of games and fun learning methods for my research and collaborate with multiple people to create fun interactive games. It is a very interesting concept and has made the game development community wider by including people from a non computer science background as well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Construct
Construct review by Minyue C.
Minyue C.

"Very easy to design games "

What do you like best?

Really easy to develop innovative drag and drop games through Construct. The biggest plus is that you don't need years and years of coding experience to make the best use of this. The range of the behaviors is great as well, and including it has definitely made the job easier. Overall, it's great for simple games.

What do you dislike?

Does not provide a lot of platforms on which you can release your games. Also, the in-game descriptions aren't descriptive enough. You will not be able to use it to create complex games.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend using it for personal use as well along with professional use because you can just create so many types of games easily that can keep you entertained or even teach you in a fun manner.

I used it to generate simple games to enhance learning ability of course materials at my company. It definitely helped me greatly because of the nature of games I was developing. Pretty easy and straight forward to use, I have loved using Construct.

What Game Engine solution do you use?

Construct review by Caleb B.
Caleb B.

"Innovative and Easy"

What do you like best?

The best thing is that people with no knowledge of programming can fulfill their game creation desires as well, through Construct. It is simple and based on HTML5 which is easy to use and understand. Another great feature is the drag and drop feature to just add on the items to the game. The download process is simple and they have a good community and help-base online.

What do you dislike?

To understand how to use it, there are way too many tutorials that are mandatory. It is also pretty limited in the scope of creating games and the visuals are of low quality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For easy games, I would definitely recommend using this rather than any other javascript based software. This will do the job well.

I often use it to create games at my company and it is very easy to use. My family, who have no programming experience use it as well and it's a really fun experience.

Construct review by Yi C.
Yi C.

"Really easy to use"

What do you like best?

The absolute best thing about Construct is that it makes game creation very easy for non programmers. Often, you have to have high coding skills or knowledge of using Maya etc to design your own games. You can just drag and drop anything you want on the editor and create the game you like! It's fun and easy to use. I love that you can also make your own games for actual learning purposes.

What do you dislike?

It does not allow too much of a variety or ventures that you can explore because of the limited layouts. It is still a really fun place to create though! It is also pretty expensive in my opinion, because even just for personal use it is $99 per year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like exploring new things and ways of learning as well as entertainment, this will be a really fun place for you!

I use it to create learning games and fun java tutorials for my students. It is definitely a very innovative way of learning and fun to both use and design.

Construct review by Emma M.
Emma M.

"Good Game Machine"

What do you like best?

Really good place to create 2D games, which are primarily non-code based. It is easily available on Steam and is fast to pick up and understand. The personal edition is well prices. One of the best things is that is that they have built-in solutions for certain problems you might encounter.

What do you dislike?

You can't really create more than just simple and straightforward games. The graphics can be improved as well, and it is not very fast as compared to native code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have enjoyed using construct and I would recommend others from non programming or computer science based backgrounds to try it.

I often use it to develop simple games for smaller groups which focus on just one primary intent. It is also a good past time, and definitely a great place to learn. The free version is a huge plus as well.

Construct review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Ease of Set up!"

What do you like best?

Most gaming development software require a few GBs of downloads and installation. The best feature of construct is that I did not need to spend any time at all for setting up and did not have to waste any memory and space on my personal computer because the entire game developer software loaded up right in my browser.

It works on multiple platforms such as MAC and Unix too without overwhelming my browser because it's all HTML.

What do you dislike?

I have had some problems with creating files and executables for Android and iPhones because they rely heavily on HTML and not native formats.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try construct if you want to make games and bring ideas to life or simply want to just to try out an idea. Construct is a good idea if you have issues with space on your PC or don't have money/time for programming.

I use Construct to create lightweight games that work on multiple formats without any programming most of the time. These games can be easily monetized too.

Construct review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"No Programming Necessary!"

What do you like best?

It was really easy to start creating games on Construct without any knowledge of programming. I have about 4 games under my belt and they are all earning revenue with every user. I really love their forums because so many users contribute their opinions and solutions to bugs. Both the customer care and forum members have been really helpful. Overall, a great hassle free game development with amazing support.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing to dislike considering its advantages over all other game development software such as no programming and no need to create individual executables for every platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't want to go through the hassle of writing code or hiring someone to design the game for you then you should try Construct. I have been using it for about 2-3 years now and I'm very satisfied with my games and their deployment.

I use Construct to create and design HTML based games that run on multiple platforms with ease because HTML is quite universal. Sometimes, I use Construct to create a simple design for what my full-fledged game should look like.

Construct review by Matthew L.
Matthew L.

"Not so easy to understand"

What do you like best?

I like the capabilities that construct have. (What it can do if you already know how to use it).

What do you dislike?

It is not so easy to learn when compared to the game maker or rpg maker. UI of the construct is not very pretty either and it is a little confusing when you launch the program for the very first time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has good features and capabilities, so if you are a good learner and don't have to have a pretty UI, then you can try. If not I would recommend RPG Maker or Game Maker instead.

I have tried to make a japanese language learning game (hiragana + katakana and vocabulary - typing game with pop-ing word bubbles), but switched to game maker as it was easier to learn.

Construct review by Miguel Angel A.
Miguel Angel A.

"An excellent tool for fast game prototyping and professional game production."

What do you like best?

The best thing about Construct is it's intuitive and powerful visual programming language. You build the game logic using action blocks that are very clear on what they do and on how the control flow goes from one block to the next. The visual language is very complete and allows a great deal of control over the features the browser exports to the games you make.

Second, it's very affordable for a tool of it's complexity and scope. And even using the free edition is more than enough for agile game prototyping. The paid editions are perfectly good for professional game development.

What do you dislike?

My main gripe with Construct 2 is the complete lack of support for editing games on Linux and MacOS. Construct can export apps for those operating systems, along with a truckload of mobile and Web platforms, but the editor program itself is Windows only. This is supposedly being addressed in the upcoming Construct 3 so that issue might become moot in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the docs and follow the tutorials on the Construct forums. The people there are very helpful to newcomers and with that you can be making games in no time.

I have used Construct, both Classic and 2 successfully for game jams and for some prototyping of games, including one for the One Game a Month challenge. Currently I consult and teach tutorials on Construct 2 game development for students in the University I work on.

Construct review by User

"Easy to use and helpful"

What do you like best?

I loved that my company used this software. It was so easy for me to use! I noticed that when our team was using this software, it made us all work better together and slightly faster.

What do you dislike?

Not much really. It was slow at times, but that could have been the office wifi. There were a few staff members that did not think it was easy to use, but I do no think that they had the IT or computer knowledge that everyone in the firm did.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Construct really helped the firm that I was working for. You had to concentrate on your work and be aware of your basic work duties, but I think that it helped me a lot. Our staff members did get better at their jobs because of this software and I am glad that I have had the opportunity to work with it.

Growing business needs, helping to build the team via computers and apps, save the company money by giving us a program that helped us to work much faster instead of much harder.

Construct review by Filip G.
Filip G.

"Easy to use game making software"

What do you like best?

Construct is easy to use and fast, you can make games without any programming experience, just drag and drop and visual "programming". There ale lot of plugins and very big community around. You can export games to HTML5. It is also great for profesesionals, when they want to make prototypes of their games. In this time, you can sell or buy your construct game templates on official Construct site.

What do you dislike?

If you want integrate ads or any otner monetization solutions, you need to know programming, because there is no official or even third party plugins for it. If you want to export to another platforms than HTML5 you need another software, you can not export to native android app from Construct directly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you looking for fast, fun game creator, take it. If you want prototype your ideas, take it. If you are game designer, or even some graphics designer, you do not know programming languages and want to make games, take it.

I make HTML5 games and sell licences of my games. I made some android games using Construct and Intel XDK + Croswalk project and some desktop games using NW.js.

Construct review by Miguel Angel C.
Miguel Angel C.

"Fast and Furious game development tool."

What do you like best?

You don't need to know a code language for create stunning games. Sometimes this kind of software are very restricted and they haven't the tools what your are looking for. But Construct is a well done software and a powerfull tool.

Continuous improvement and updates. The Construct development team listen the community demands.

Powerful plugins platform and sometimes they integrate some of these plugins in the software.

And of course a reduced price, ideal for small game development teams.

What do you dislike?

The drawing tools have a room of imprevement. Although it is not the normal way of working. You don't paint sprites on Construct.

This is our first game creator tool in our company and the relationship between development time and quality games production is good.

Construct review by Thiago P.
Thiago P.

"Best Game Engine to make amazing games"

What do you like best?

Construct2 is an amazing tool that I use to create games on a daily basis.

I felt in love with the tool the first time I used it back in 2013. Since then I have built more than 30 games.

I liked the tool so much I start teaching other people how to use by publishing videos on Youtube and recently I released a course.

What do you dislike?

The only think I have to complain is the issues with mobile export. It does work but when it involves plugins, things break.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the best game maker tool in the market. You can probably make a game in under 1 hour the first time you use it.

Construct2 helps me to create prototype games in a very short time.

The process helps me identify possible issues and opportunities every time I have an idea about a new game.

The tool is inexpensive in comparison to other tools and it is very powerful specially if you are trying to make a HTML5 game.

I can truly say that Construct2 enabled me to start making games and money with them.

Construct review by Hamza T.
Hamza T.

"Construc2, Something that i love"

What do you like best?

Please note : that this review is about Constrcut 2 , and i found some users are reviewing Construct Classic , which are a little similar but very different.

Easy to use , no programing needed, but not limited features , make games easily and fast

What do you dislike?

what i really don't like about Construct 2 , is that it only exports as HTML5 , if there was a similar software but build natively for different platforms , i will use it.

I make games , benefits of using Construct 2 , you can't your game in less time and no programmer is required

Construct review by Robert P.
Robert P.

"An enjoyable development experience"

What do you like best?

I like that I don't have to dig into a whole lot of code to get the results that I want.

What do you dislike?

I've had trouble running the program on slightly underpowered systems, but that should be expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to invest time in the community on the message boards for some invaluable information.

The program allows me to quickly prototype ideas to test whether they are fun interactive experiences.

Construct review by User

"Great game engine, albeit limited"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, do not need to be a programer with the drag and drop features. Powerful to use, good price and great visuals. Scales to different screens

What do you dislike?

No 3D features, no custom particle editing.

Indie game development. Powerful tool for low cost

Construct review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Clean, with beautiful UI and intuitive workflow"

What do you like best?

I like how easy this program is to use despite not having initial training

What do you dislike?

The mailer feature is a little buggy and i had trouble sending out a list a few times

We are looking to increase CRM through SEO optimization

Learning about Construct?

* We monitor all Construct reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.