Couchbase Server is an open source, distributed NoSQL document-oriented database. It exposes a fast key-value store with managed cache for submillisecond data operations, purpose-built indexers for fast queries and a query engine for executing SQL queries. For mobile and internet of things environments, Couchbase Lite runs native on-device and manages sync to Couchbase Server.
Couchbase Server is specialized to provide low-latency data management for large-scale interactive web, mobile, and IoT applications. Common requirements that Couchbase Server was designed to satisfy include:
- Flexible data model with JSON Documents
- Powerful query language (N1QL) based on SQL and extended for JSON
- Sub-millisecond Latency at Scale of Millions of Operations/sec
- Simple administration with Built in Graphical Administration and one-click Rebalance with Smart Placement of Shards
- High Availability with Simple Globally Distributed Replication (XDCR)