Couchbase

Couchbase is engineered to meet the elastic scalability, consistent high performance, always-on availability, and data mobility requirements of mission critical applications.

Work for Couchbase?

Learning about Couchbase?

Couchbase Reviews

Ask Couchbase a Question
Showing 28 Couchbase reviews
Couchbase review by <span>Danh N.</span>
Danh N.

"Working with couchbase"

What do you like best?

I entered a project with couchbase already integrated and I used it as a datastore for one of the apps.

It was relatively simple to work with, the included groovy jdk seemed decently documented and wasn't a pain to work with. It was missing some key features however(batch gets) so we had to write a service ontop of their jdk.

I mainly did operations through the console. It was ok. It was hard to use couchbase like a rds instance since it is a nosql db. Stuff like querying for documents with certain fields had to be done by first setting up indexes.

What do you dislike?

If you aren't getting any specific documents by their ID then you have to setup a index.

We needed a datastore for documents that our app used for persistence.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Couchbase
Couchbase review by <span>Sunil D.</span>
Sunil D.

"This is the database for your next social app "

What do you like best?

Couchbase lite , Sync Gateway , Peer to Peer Sync , automatic update sequencing , XDCR . I am using couchbase for remote database and couchbase lite for both android and windows application and the syck functionalities work like a charm . Peer to peer and remote to peer sync functionalities save me a lot of work for couple of apps .

What do you dislike?

UI is not good , experience for querying is not good at all . should give a option to index all keys be default . Couchbase recently introduced N1QL in beta version which let you query without indexing which I havent tested yet . Also when I implemented it(mid 2015) the DOTNET sdk had many bugs and was in heavy development I my self contributed to the repository for that purpose.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a NoSQL database for your business this is the product you need . It has many great feature for high server availability as well as other feature for syncing ,replication and clusterin . Query and Indexing is bit tricky for beginners but it comes handy with the time . Also the documentation is not up to the level and it is still in development . Many SDKs still have some bugs so consider before migrating .

My company have been using this for 2 production server for multiple internal apps .The bright side is that it has very good availability time as it has advantage of all NoSQL and CouchDB feature . Clustering/Replication are easy to use feature of couchbase .

What Document Databases solution do you use?

Couchbase review by <span>Darma K.</span>
Darma K.

"Scalable apps database without hassle"

What do you like best?

Couchbase is a good alternative to No SQL database management, it open a way to your scalable application without hassle. Very intuitive GUI make view statistic, administration, managing cluster very easy just one click like installing software and couch base manages all your need in background. So basically you were free from managing bucket and what node they live on.

Last thing is couchbase is available for public for free , but depends on what your use case.

What do you dislike?

Documentation. Couchbase has a lot of good features and automation, but aside from that it lacks of documentation of their SDK. The community is big but the forum is quiet, a lot of post and small answer.

Their security about user control also is lacking, Couchbase should give a user manager for user that can access a document,

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are okay with some security reason, like user's document access and you seek perfect tools automation, Couchbase is your best shot, it can give you a simple install for each nodes.

I use couchbase to storing my user sessions data, event data and also a configuration data. Its very good

Couchbase review by Administrator in Retail
Administrator in Retail

"Couchbase NOSQL documented oriented database"

What do you like best?

Ease of implementation and configuration. Command line tools are easy to use for adhoc tasks. Least maintenance from administration point of view.

What do you dislike?

Currently there is a hard limit of 10buckets in couchbase. This would limit the total number of different apps that can be onboarded per environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We are not able to onboard some of our applications because there is a hard limit of 10 buckets that can be created in CouchBase.

Load attribute records from hadoop to couchbase bucket. Each record in the bucket is a key-value combination. The key is unique and value is a JSON document with different attributes. Lookup is very fast in couchbase.

Couchbase review by <span>Jonas M.</span>
Jonas M.

"Excellent at building superb mobile app experiences"

What do you like best?

Couchbase Lite - the variant of Couchbase DB for running locally on a mobile device. When used together with Couchbase Sync Gateway (which automatically synchronises the local DB with the main DB on a remote server) - it enables developing apps to a modern standard, which users now come to expect from the mobile apps nowadays. Features include:

- Latency compensation. No need to worry about network latency and stability - every action can be stored on a local DB, which then will be synced automatically to the main DB, when the network is available again.

- Ability to develop "optimistic" UIs. No need for a "loading" spinner on every user action. Again - just store on a local DB and the changes will propagate to the main DB ASAP.

- Was very easy to set it up and get started.

- A joy to develop with, greatly reduced boilerplate code, especially when compared to SQLite.

What do you dislike?

The API for querying the database wasn't straightforward at first (especially when coming from a SQL background) and does have a learning curve which will require spending some time with the documentation.

User experience was top priority and the ability to adapt to various use-case scenarios (full offline mode, bad- network conditions, etc) greatly enhances it.

For some mobile apps, Couchbase DB might even be the one-stop solution for a back-end, without the need of additional back-end application layer.

Couchbase review by <span>Abdel K.</span>
Abdel K.

"Couchbase makes it easy!"

What do you like best?

The ability to cluster nodes on aws. Its as simple as installing a package and pointing and clicking after that. All cluster management is done behind the scenes and just works. No need to manage buckets and what node they live on.

What do you dislike?

The UI is a bit clunky. Most of the time I have to d a full refresh on the browser to get things to look right again.

The CLI tools could use some more helpful messages as well. I spent at least 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get cbtransfer to work properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Attending a seminar thats hosted by coucbase to learn about all the features is very helpful.

We used couchbase to solve our high read throughput on our database. Couch performs very well in comparison to all its peers.

Couchbase review by <span>Michael K.</span>
Michael K.

"Great product with a lot of potential - with some growing pains, however"

What do you like best?

The potential for scaling applications for growing needs. Their GUI makes administrating and viewing statistics on clusters very easy. One of the most powerful GUI's I've seen for a substantial product like this, that is also available to the general public for free (depending on your use case).

What do you dislike?

The documentation for some (if not all) of their SDK's lacks, considerably. I've posted and ready many threads on their official forums that showcase this unfortunate situation. I still don't understand the overall sales pitch of these memory-based document storage products being a replacement for orthodox SQL technologies. There's a time and place for both, respectively, and for them to even co-exist.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely engage the developers of Couchbase in their forums. While they may not always respond immediately, they do respond. There is also opportunity for you to learn and share with other users who are adopting the product when posting in their forums.

Try to refrain from skipping the developer guide. There's a lot of good information and terminology you should familiarize yourself with before trying to implement Couchbase. This goes for even asking people for help. You need to understand what you're asking help on before you claim there's an issue.

Also, keep in mind that you're not going to transition your data from your SQL solution, into Couchbase, overnight. It's not practical, feasible, and most likely not even necessary. Try to think of areas of your environment that could truly benefit from fast I/O operations that take advantage of the physical memory in your cluster(s).

Session management has (literally) grown out of control for our web applications. Being that we use PHP for most of our web hosting environment: we've struggled with maintaining and managing our session data across all servers in a practical way. Couchbase has been tasked with managing our session data, which increases throughput, considerably, and allows us to easily scale growth with our users, with little to no development cycles invested.

Couchbase review by <span>Joseph O.</span>
Joseph O.

"I developed an ETL solution to integrate Couchbase Data with our data warehouse using views. "

What do you like best?

The Python API is pretty good for data access and view deployment. It took me a little while to figure out how to do what I wanted because there weren't a lot of examples out there on how to do what I wanted, but once I figured it out it was pretty good. Indexes on the data build very fast, so if you know what you want, and how the data is structured you can pull out the data pretty quickly.

What do you dislike?

There is no security. Either you have access to do anything or access to do nothing. I should be able to give a user access to view the documents without having access to also delete all of the documents. Some people would like a GUI for creating views or viewing of the data. It is not that intuitive to many since it requires knowledge of javascript versus sql which most any data analyst knows. Even a better GUI for viewing a few documents would be nice. If I could just sort the documents by one key of my choosing it would be so much easier. Point in time recovery of a database is not really feasible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider what couchbase is good at storing and retrieving documents. If you are implementing it for that purpose and you don't necessarily care about securing the contents of the documents then it is very good. If you need to rebalance a large repository this can be very time consuming.

We are using couchbase to store session data, configuration data, and also as a document store for event data. It is very good for the first two, and not so great as an event data document store if you have data that needs to be secure in any way. I love the speed of accessing the data if you know what you want.

Couchbase review by <span>Keith L.</span>
Keith L.

"Couchbase and ElasticSearch - dynamic duo"

What do you like best?

As an entry point into NoSQL, Couchbase is great. Setting up a cluster was amazingly easy. I almost felt like I had installed Chrome. The web interface also is quite rich, and easy to use, and it has built in monitoring so you can see how well it is performing. We looked at mongo, but it was more difficult to set up. We also have found Couchbase to be quite fast. It also integrates well with our windows environment and with .Net as well. We had already migrated our apps into a Service Oriented Architecture and Couchbase slide right in. Also the plug-in with ElasticSearch greatly increases the power of Couchbase giving you a premier search index on your data. The community is also quite vibrant and a good source of help.

What do you dislike?

Documentation is pretty thin. What is available is well written but not deep enough. Also to determine which design patterns for your data documents to use is missing. They leave you on your own, and it is not clear how to fully leverage the product with your design. N1QL is coming out, but without it to find data in your buckets you have to write code. Also the web front end will not display large documents so I had to write a front end to see a lot of my documents. Also when updating the OS for nodes in my cluster is a pain. The failover process can get hung up with unclean virtual buckets and you have to write code to populate all 1024 v-buckets so that they will balance properly otherwise it will get stuck

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is very simple to setup. But knowing how to structure your data is a real challenge. This challenge exists for all SQL to NoSQL conversions. I strongly suggest using the ElasticSearch plugin.

Search Search Search. With Elasticsearch as our index and Couchbase as a store we now have awesome search capabilities.

Couchbase review by <span>Joel D.</span>
Joel D.

"Couchbase, one of the best no sql solutions out there."

What do you like best?

What really drew me to couchbase was the ability to sync from my mobile app to the couchbase database connected to my backend. That allowed me to leave all the complexities of syncing data to the experts and i was able to focus on my app while knowing that it has the ability to perform proper offline support and data sync as soon as internet becomes available.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I have disliked so far is that couchbase's query language is alot different from SQL so I have had a harder time adapting to it when it comes to writing certain complex queries that would be way easier to write in SQL.

The main business problem I am currently solving as I mentioned before is data synchronization. In today's world having data kept up to date and available in all scenarios (online/offline) is very important for the user experience of an app. There are several davta sync soltuions out there but none was as simple as couchbase thus I saved tons of time by implementing the mobile version of the database on my Android app and then connecting it to the main couchbase server of my backend.

Couchbase review by <span>Rob M.</span>
Rob M.

"Couchbase has the best distributed architecture and is getting more developer friendly"

What do you like best?

The simple, yet flexible way that Couchbase handles load distribution and replication, both within a site and geographically distributed makes load balancing automatic and enables robust redundancy and failover.

What do you dislike?

Working with Couchbase has been a challenge for developers coming from backgrounds that are heavy on relational databases. That is being mitigated by the new N1QL query language which takes its cues from SQL. While the jury's still out, things look very promising.

We've used Couchbase as a store for session variables enabling state-tracking across multiple front-end application servers without encurring the overhead of full load balancing. This is leveraging its roots in memcached.

We're also using Couchbase as the key-value store for a web service. Couchbase's response time, and geographic replication abilities make it a good choice, especially when cost of administration and growth potential become concerns.

Couchbase review by <span>William Q.</span>
William Q.

"Great way to make NoSQL data available offline on mobile devices, and on the web"

What do you like best?

I like that there is an open source version of this product available for free. Free and open source is great when I don't have to budget to spend a lot on products aimed at businesses.

What do you dislike?

I found that the server part of this product tended to use a lot of system resources (memory in particular) even when there wasn't a lot of data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Reading through the documentation and setting up some test instances before setting it up with your actual project makes things a lot easier to learn.

I had to make a large amount of data available both online and offline for mobile devices. It needed to be synced with data on a central server. Couchbase has software that let me do this fairly easily.

Couchbase review by <span>Simon T.</span>
Simon T.

"Fast and Versatile"

What do you like best?

Concurrent read / write performance at scale is great for key-value workloads (both volatile and persistent). The product is easy to install and monitor. The docs are mainly good. The support from Couchbase is also good if you pay for it, giving access to senior engineers when needed. The View Indexing functionality is also powerful (though still doesn't feel as mature as the core KV functionality - e.g. administration/tooling).

What do you dislike?

Though clusters have been mostly reliable we have had some problems with some of the failover and elastic scaling functionality - e.g. cluster not recovering from nodes failing or when rebalancing after cluster changes. The python client was way behind .NET/Java for a long time but i think this situation has now improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good for high performance key-value workloads. XDCR and view functionality also powerful.

Memcached-type workloads for large data sets (~1TB) with heavy read/write and persistence. User data store (inc. XDCR for global data consistency across regions). Mainly using .NET and python clients.

Consistently high read/write performance for datasets scaled out across multiple nodes is probably the main benefit from our perspective. Memcached compatibility is also useful for consolidating existing caching solutions.

Couchbase review by User in Information Technology and Services

"A NoSQL product that lives up to its promise"

What do you like best?

Ease of use - The ability to scale easily by simply adding more nodes to the cluster. One of the key requirement for us was to maintain throughput while the cluster was undergoing changes and we were surprised at how easy it was to add and remove nodes to the cluster. The support staff was also very experienced and helped us from development to deployment in production.

What do you dislike?

We were one of the early adopters and the Java API was not quite stable as we had hoped. We ran into issues around recoverability on the client side when we ran through various network scenarios. The couchbase support was very helpful and they fixed the provided solutions in very short time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Couchbase is based on a very reliable memcached product that is used in many places. The cluster is easy to build/manage and does not require a dedicated database administrator as compared to other NoSQL products.

We were trying to store and retrieve session information while trying to maintain very high throughout in the range of 10000~20000 transactions per second. We set out evaluating quite a few NoSQL solutions (MongoDB, Cassandra) at the time but none of them scaled to the level as couchbase.

Couchbase review by <span>Arik G.</span>
Arik G.

"Architecting a scalable solution for asset management, including analytics"

What do you like best?

Couchbase is a very good solution for high velocity read/write operations. The ease of setup, deployment and integration beats any competitor currently out there (after experience with Cassandra, MongoDB, DynamoDB). Performance, when performing simple read/write operations is great.

What do you dislike?

The offering is still immature in terms of secondary indexes, complex queries (although the recent N1QL GA in Couchbase 4.0 goes a long way).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think of the simple solutions first. Couchbase shines when performing index based read/writes - and less when performing complex queries/secondary indexes (e.g. Vies). This will probably change due to N1QL

The business problems solved are around offering a very fast deployment for a new solution (NoSQL migration) from a previous SQL based one - to offer the performance KPIs we were after. The benefits of using Couchbase was that given the ease of deployment and integration, getting the Executive level to back the solution up was pretty easy , on top of the trivial benefit of getting a very scalable , fast, schemaless solution.

Couchbase review by <span>Mohan T.</span>
Mohan T.

"Blending KV store and structured queries in highly multi-tenanted enterprise SaaS app"

What do you like best?

We like the raw performance of the KV store, but with the flexibility to run structured queries across json documents using N1QL. Version 4.0 brings secondary indexes which allow us to boost performance and reduce our need for the map-reduce views. CouchBase also allows the developers to choose the consistency expectations per call this enables us to take advantage of high performing calls when consistency is less important. CouchBase is ridiculously easy to setup, manage, add/remove nodes, rebalance etc. The dashboard gives you detailed insight into the cluster, which reduces the management overhead.

What do you dislike?

Very little so far, some minor bugs in the Java SDK, but we have been pretty much on the bleeding edge for releases in our development process.

Highly scalable metadata store, with the need for high geographic distribution.

We have benefited from reduced development and devops costs.

Couchbase review by <span>Glenn W.</span>
Glenn W.

"Really performant solution and an easy entry into NoSQL"

What do you like best?

The performance of the solution is really good, we're very happy with TPS and the availability of the service.

What do you dislike?

Issues with the client in our environment - .NET - lots of problems with memory management and client blocking causing headaches, as well as some incompatibilities between languages (we also use Java client)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whilst a little rough around the edges and lacking some key innovations available in other providers (ODBC access being one) we have found it one of the best solutions in the NoSQL domain.

Increasing speed and capacity of our transaction processing platform.

Couchbase review by <span>Ameya K.</span>
Ameya K.

"Simple and Easy to use with high R/W performance"

What do you like best?

easy to maintain the documents and export it for operation use

What do you dislike?

high memory utilization needs to be fixed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

definitely worth trying this product or working out a POC to test the performance difference.

we use it to maintain user profile and various operational lookups.

read/write performance is high.

Couchbase review by <span>Michael G.</span>
Michael G.

"Great alternative to complex client-server architectures"

What do you like best?

I liked the key-value datastore nature of the system as well as the ability to sync across multiple mobile devices

What do you dislike?

Documentation was fairly thin, so it required a bit more work to understand how everything fits together

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see if it fits your needs. Our codebase was both simplified and our time to market was a lot quicker than expected.

We needed to build a super reliable, realtime data capture app and Couchbase fitted this requirement perfectly. It is fast, reliable and flexible enough to fit our needs

Couchbase review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Couchbase as future remote and local databases to platforms."

What do you like best?

I like that couchbase is Nosql and its implementation mechanism (need to be little beginner friendly though) i have used it in one of my production android app and felt it is awesome.

What do you dislike?

It should have been easy without the sync gateways and other configurations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Needs to have a beginner friendly contents like blogs and code examples etc.

I am a mobile developer and i focus more app performance and and concurrency and other major android and ios problems.

Couchbase review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Great for simple data models"

What do you like best?

Xamarin integration was easy to setup and implement

What do you dislike?

With the update to 1.2v it is difficult to implement new features like pre installed databases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the 1.1v till new features are documented in the 1.2v. We were trying to use pre installed databases with Xamarin and it wasn't working properly, possibly the Xamarin component.

Document database storing for simple objects. Quick and easy to setup.

Couchbase review by <span>Oded S.</span>
Oded S.

"Easy product, scaleable and robust"

What do you like best?

The easy setup and deployment, every development against it.

What do you dislike?

no query capabilities (n1ql should solve - but its not out yet)

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you need a big data documents without the need to correlate too many times, use couchbase and not relational DBs.

huge amount of data written from end users

Couchbase review by <span>Manumohana V.</span>
Manumohana V.

"Good product with lots of enhancing functionalities"

What do you like best?

couchbase is high speed and its nosql database and also its provides very faster updates for applications like chatting apps.

What do you dislike?

complex sql operations are bit difficult to implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will be better if you provide more geo location base functionalities in the database inbuilt funtionality set.

its difficult to support large database which stores continuous tracking geolocations and image data.

Couchbase review by Administrator in Sporting Goods
Administrator in Sporting Goods

"Decent solution for key-value or document datastore"

What do you like best?

Easy to install, manage, and maintain. Very fast reads. Cloud-friendly.

What do you dislike?

In case you need to access anything in any other way than by key, it is challenging. Views / indexes are slow, even in version 3.0 where Couchbase claims huge performance improvement in that area.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Couchbase is great when you use it right - great persistent cache for documents / key-value store; not a replacement for a relational database. Also, if you plan on using ad-hoc queries, consider some other noSQL product, such as Cassandra.

Mostly using Couchbase as a persistent cache. I do not see much benefits vs. Cassandra which is our primary noSQL solution.

Couchbase review by User in Computer Software

"Very Nerutral Experience"

What do you like best?

Ability to use Couchbase as a complete replacement for MemcachedD it very useful.

What do you dislike?

We have had issues with Couchbase crashing on our development instances on EC2 and on our local vagrant instances. Seems like its very vulnerrable on low memory hardware.

We use it to cache static data for our app primarily. We just started using it as a Document Store 1 week ago.

Couchbase review by User in Computer Software

"Global Data Store"

What do you like best?

Simple, easy to use API. Fast access to data.

What do you dislike?

The GUI interface could allow larger documents to be viewed. I was able to hack the code to allow this, but it should be configurable instead.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free trial version, it's great!

Caching datasets, global data store accessible across datacenters, etc.

Couchbase review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"We used this database as a caching solution"

What do you like best?

its super fast in caching the data and returning the data quickly

What do you dislike?

its a new product it crashes often it needs to be consistent

caching solutions. caching thef requently used data

Couchbase review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Couchbase is really awesome!"

What do you like best?

i like that couchbase is an extremely fast nosql database

What do you dislike?

cannot think of anything negative to say about couchbase

Recommendations to others considering the product

definitely consider couchbase

mostly financial

Learning about Couchbase?

* We monitor all Couchbase reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.