CouchDB

CouchDB is a database that completely embraces the web. Store your data with JSON documents.

Work for CouchDB?

Learning about CouchDB?

CouchDB Reviews

Showing 44 CouchDB reviews
CouchDB review by <span>Tyler W.</span>
Tyler W.

Easy To Use NoSQL Database

What do you like best?

CouchDB will be easy to pick if you are already familiar with JavaScript and JSON. The data is stored as JSON, and you use MapReduce functions in JavaScript to query the data. This makes it a nice complement to a full-stack JavaScript application running Node and a JavaScript front end.

If it fits the requirements of your application, you can use CouchDB as a REST API, and forgo the need for an additional API implementation on the server.

Easy to get started and good documentation to learn how to use the database. There is a GUI available to easily view your data.

What do you dislike?

The GUI that is available is not always intuitive. When I was first gettings started with it there were a few things that did not work as I expected them to that caused frustration.

The MapReduce query method can be hard to adjust to if you are used to traditional SQL databases. It is very powerful, but takes some time to get familiar with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with most database decisions, you need to understand the needs of your application. CouchDB is well suited for document storage, but you will probably have an easier time with something else for a typical CRUD app.

I have used CouchDB to store documents in a writing application. It was easy to sync documents with the database on the fly as you edited the documents. CouchDB was very flexible, which made storing different types of documents very easy.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about CouchDB
CouchDB review by <span>Sean L.</span>
Sean L.

A flexable framework for map-reduce based REST APIs.

What do you like best?

CouchDB is vastly more than just a database - it's practically a website framework. You interact with it using plain Javascript, JSON, and HTTP for everything. No need to write an API or backend administration tools and you get user management / access control for free. Unless you're dealing with multiple terabytes of data, or a model that requires instantaneous & frequent document updates, Couch is all you need to get up and running.

Plus, because of CouchDB's change-log model, synchronization between multiple master nodes is trivial. With PouchDB (based on Couch) you can even store a copy (or subset) of your database on the user's device, or in the web browser.

What do you dislike?

As of 2016-10-19, singular CouchDB 2 nodes are still a bit slower than CouchDB 1.7 (probably due to code changes that make clustering easier) and there isn't much documentation for deploying CouchDB to Kubernetes yet. Also, the map/reduce workflow, while incredibly simple and elegant, isn't quite as efficient as a system like Apache Spark.

Starting up and running small (less than 1TB of data) APIs. I love using Couch for this, because you can immediately expose it to the web and start using it. You can even serve basic resources from it like images, JS, and HTML (even though it isn't the most efficient way to store those)

What Document Databases solution do you use?

CouchDB review by <span>Boris v.</span>
Boris v.

Database of the future: Cluster Of Unreliable Commodity Hardware

What do you like best?

CouchDB is a way to rethink data on the web. It is so much more than a database, it is a way to structure information, organise it and make it available in whatever medium might be necessary. If you have data and you want to serve a web page straight from CouchDB, you can, since its views are completely customisable and can spit out whatever you want it to.

CouchDB is some of the most resilient software I've ever used. It was clearly made to be run on large clusters of cheap unreliable servers and fulfils this role extremely well. Its replication protocol makes it easy to create networks of servers that can survive anything.

What do you dislike?

Development and enthusiasm for CouchDB seems to have tanked, and it's massive development effort seems to now be focussed on support for large users. It would be nice to get some of the world changing spirit back.

CouchDB enables us to use a stack as lean as possible. It is most of the software we need to run things, be it saving tonnes of data, files or serve pages. It works especially well for this on a small scale but we have trouble finding out how to scale this effectively.

CouchDB review by <span>Costa M.</span>
Costa M.

Best noSQL Database for Beginners : )

What do you like best?

As someone who isn't a full time developer, and is self-taught, I love CouchDB. It has many features that just make it easier to get started with and use. First, it's got a graphic interface, so I can go in an look at my data very easily. Second, everything in CouchDB is JSON, so it's already in a format I'm used to using everywhere else. Views are written in JavaScript, which I already know from web dev. And, to boot the API is just HTTP. The advanced features are cool as well. Database syncing and replication are awesome. And, so far I've never lost any data!

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there are so many branches of CouchDB. Cloudant has a totally different GUI. Couchbase is weirdly different. There's too many interpretations. CouchDB would be great if people just implemented it as Apache puts it out there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The "definitive guide" is okay: http://guide.couchdb.org/index.html but playing with it yourself is the best way to get acquainted. Also, check out PouchDB at some point. If that project is successful, I think the two together could be a real powerhouse for web app development.

I'm using CouchDB for very simple things, storing user info, website data, data for events my company hosts, and so on. Everything's neat and organized, and if I ever need to look at my data differently, I can pull our a view and throw it into a webpage with D3.js and get really graphical.

CouchDB review by <span>Joel Alejandro V.</span>
Joel Alejandro V.

Thinking Documentally

What do you like best?

As opposed to RDBMS, documental databases (in particular, CouchDB) allow to quickly prototype and develop a fully-functional application. Being easily installed, configured and deployed, CouchDB keeps you from wasting time around tinkering settings, allowing you to focus on what's really important.

Plus, the idea of using JavaScript as a query language via MapReduce expressions is great for developers, since you don't need another new language for your database operations (if you're not used to SQL).

What do you dislike?

Despite being so easily deploy, I find that its Web Admin interface lacks some functionality. I get it - it's a documental database, and everything is treated that way, even its authentication & authorization scheme. But it's not *that* intuitive to setup users and roles, as one would expect coming from a RDBMS world.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always get the latest version.

Always read the documentation. Sometimes, CouchDB introduces breaking changes in their API, and you'll have no idea why your app is failing if you haven't "read the Good Book".

I'm working on a real estate management and search platform. The main issue at hand was the diversity of data that a realtor can report about a household. There's a vast amount of features that aren't the same from realtor to realtor. So, the idea was to handle a baseline structure (the common denominator of house features) as well as support realtor-specific data, configurable from a dashboard. These specific features, however, must be used by the search engine as well. So, anyone looking for a new home can get to be extremely specific on terms of filters. For instance, if I want a house with two bedrooms, a bathroom, a fully-equipped kitchen, within 5 blocks of the nearest hospital and a supermarket 2 blocks away and with a garage big enough for a 4x4 vehicle, the search engine will harness both generic and specific data structures. CouchDB, with its flexible structure, allows to easily handle dynamic payload structures.

CouchDB review by <span>Paul S.</span>
Paul S.

As CTO, I selected CouchDB from other databases to power our SaaS product offering.

What do you like best?

The ease of integration of CouchDB into our technology stack was excellent. Our stack is based primarily on JavaScript (nodejs) and adopting CouchDB was a very easy sell in our organization from this point of view alone.

What do you dislike?

The lack of redundancy built in to the core CouchDB offering is our only misgiving. This is mitigated somewhat by the BigCouch companion product, but we would like to see the ability to deploy a single database over multiple shards built into the core.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only misgiving we have is its lack of in-built redundancy through replication. It is possible but tricky to set this up with the stock CouchDB distribution. The BigCouch project offers a promising alternative and I believe plans are in place to merge it into the core distribution as the project matures, but this has not yet happened. Otherwise, I would highly recommend CouchDB for its flexibility, ease of use and performance.

We have rapidly evolved our data models to align with changes in our business. For this, we needed the flexibility and performance of a nosql database. CouchBD proved extremely easy to administer, was performant and fit well into our technical architecture (nodejs on the backend). With very little effort, we have been able to adapt to changes in our business needs.

Learning about CouchDB?

* We monitor all CouchDB reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.