CrashPlan

Automatic backup made for entrepreneurs, small businesses and small organizations with 1-199 employees.

Work for CrashPlan?

Learning about CrashPlan?

Categories

CrashPlan Reviews

Showing 19 CrashPlan reviews
CrashPlan review by <span>Liz W.</span>
Liz W.

"Crashplan, My Business Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Crashplan is the price - I have unlimited backups for a low monthly free (less than $10/month).

What do you dislike?

I dislike the inability to arrange the order of items once they have been backed up. This is really my only complaint about Crashplan. For example, if I have the following folders arranged on my computer like this: Folder A contains Folder 1 and Folder 2, and I run a backup, that is how it will be structured in the backup. If I then move Folder 2 into Folder 1 on my computer, and run another backup, Crashplan will not simply move the items. It will do another backup of Folder 2, and I now have two copies of the same folder, which is redundant. Plus, if it is a large folder, I might have to wait 5+ hours for the new backup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Crashplan is affordable, user friendly, and customer service is easy to connect with. Just make sure they folders are structured exactly how you want them to remain before each backup, because once backed up, you cannot move folders or items around.

I am a photographer and need to keep my photos stored in a permanent and safe manner. I keep backup drives at home, but in the event of a disaster, I need copies of those photos to be stored offsite as well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about CrashPlan
CrashPlan review by <span>Daniel W.</span>
Daniel W.

"CrashPlan is great! Works as intended!"

What do you like best?

I like the automation of CrashPlan the most. I set it up once weeks ago and it...just works. I've logged in once a day to check and make sure it's running, but, I feel like I just have a self-sufficient child here - not really alot on my part to maintain it.

What do you dislike?

Upload speed seems to be quite sluggish, though, that doesn't matter once your entire dataset has been uploaded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not recommend CrashPlan for those of you with a LARGE environment with many devices to be backed up. This solution works best in it's most simple form - just a single server to back up.

Easily the biggest business benefit for this software is the ease of mind knowing that all company data is stored and protected somewhere besides our building. Living in a hurricane zone, this means a lot.

What Backup solution do you use?

CrashPlan review by <span>Dana H.</span>
Dana H.

"Simply the best piece of mind you can get."

What do you like best?

Once CrashPlan is set up, it just works and takes care of making sure you have a secure copy of your data offsite. I like that it has mobile apps and is accessible anywhere with an internet connection.

What do you dislike?

CrashPlan throttles the upload speed. I have an ultra fast connection but cannot take advantage of the upload speeds available to me while backing up to CrashPlan. Every once in a while I have had to re-indicate what drives I want backed up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I personally think it is the best option out there.

Having a secure offsite copy of my data to prevent against loss. Remote access to files while offsite. Ability to retrieve a prior version of a file.

CrashPlan review by Administrator

"awesome backup software"

What do you like best?

is user friendly , and you can use it on both windows and linux , the installation on windows is really intuitive and user friendly , the interface is easy to understand, we can do restores from the pro server and also save them on tapes and request those for lter is really amazing what you ca do with this software from your admin console , it also has good integration with other monitoring software since before crashplan has the monitoring part on it we used another software for monitoring and we never got a single issue with it at least not a crashplan related issue.

What do you dislike?

sometimes on linux we have this issues with antivirus affecting crash plan connection or slowing down the backups .

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you have both windows and linux servers this will be your best option since you can manage both servers from the managment pro server and that is really good that is why we moved from evault also for scheduled backups and for manaul backups is really good and easy to administrate .

backup solutions for customers and business partners , when hurricanes had hit on customers office this software had saved all the data by just restoring the databases to the new servers

CrashPlan review by User in Computer Software

"Good service, the app not so much"

What do you like best?

The backup process is pretty easy to set up and once configured, works great. Used the service at home for several years with (almost) no complaints. They are no longer support "Home" customers - Prefer B2B

What do you dislike?

The app can become a serious memory hog. Also crashed more than few times which requires a restart of the machine. Moving the app between two different machines can be complicated and at one point I was required to re-upload all my backed up data again

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to have several hard drives backed up even when they are offline, this is a great service - Just be ready to handle CrashPlan's application which feels a bit outdated and can be unstable at times.

One of the only services out there that can support a disconnected hard drive. Usually, if an HD is disconnected, services may keep the information for a limited time - Not so with CrashPlan, and this is a great feature to have

CrashPlan review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Great way to make sure your data is always backed up"

What do you like best?

I have the CrashPlan Pro version at my workplace which automatically backs up my computer at regular intervals. It will send me email notifications letting me know whether my computer has backed up successfully or not. These notifications are the only reminder I have of this app existing. It's so great because once installed, I can forget about it until I need it

What do you dislike?

It's a great app for backing up my computer and I do love the email notifications I get. However, there are periods where I get an influx of automated emails (more than 2x a week) and it can get a little annoying, but I can see why some people would enjoy more backup updates.

I've switched multiple computers over the past few months and crashplan not only protects the data I'm working with, but I am able to easily access data that I created on my past laptops on the computer I am currently working on.

CrashPlan review by User in Higher Education

"Great option of business. Sad day for individuals"

What do you like best?

I like that you can set the backups to occur on a regular schedule. You can also decide how much of your CPU resources it will take up. It usually only runs when you are not using the device that needs backing up.

What do you dislike?

I use to have an individual license as well where you could use a personal external hard drive. Code42 no longer offers this. I also do not like how the client can be a little slow sometimes. This is most likely a company problem though since they customize the client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to have great local support for your instance of crashplan

Backup sets are created whenever new machines are checked out and allow staff to be confident that their data is backed up and safe.

CrashPlan review by <span>Ashutosh B.</span>
Ashutosh B.

"Best software for small scaled applications"

What do you like best?

low CPU usage of the background backup is the best feature for me.

What do you dislike?

Some Technical difficulty with n/w drivers while setting up for the first time

We are mainly using it for backing up our daily generated data online. The application I am working on generates a lot of data dynamically every day which varies in size and content. So backing that data up for our weekly analysis task is essential. Crashplan provides seamless background syncing and makes the job easy and smooth.

CrashPlan review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Solid backup service...reasonable cost"

What do you like best?

It does what it says...but sometimes slowly. Good backup software that can help you recover files or entire backups.

What do you dislike?

It can be slow. I use gigabit fiber and I wish they accepted a faster transfer rate/download rate. When you need to download an entire laptop, it can take a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Speed of upload and download

Peace of mind if I lose a computer or if I have some sort of ransomware attack, Not having to remember to backup the system

CrashPlan review by <span>Natalie R.</span>
Natalie R.

"Crashplan Pro: Mostly Cons"

What do you like best?

The backup solution itself is reliable, rarely does the database fail.

What do you dislike?

The admin panel is extremely hard to use. Unreliable client connection. Little troubleshooting help.

CP is our backup solution, we use it to backend manage all client endpoints.

CrashPlan review by User in Computer Software

"I love Crashplan and would like to recommend it but they abandoned the consumer market"

What do you like best?

The seamless back-up, the free option to back up between friends, the encryption, the versioning, the ease of data recovery, the user interface

What do you dislike?

Java only application, the fact that they abandoned the consumer market

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommended for companies but not for consumers anymore. CrashPlan has warned all consumer users that their support will expire.

Easy to configure and forget back-up solution. Always there, always working. And when disaster strikes, you have the ease of mind that you will get it back.

CrashPlan review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking

"Crashplan for Small Business"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and intuitive user interface

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything that I don't like at the moment

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bulk restoration in the event of a disaster requires extra cost, otherwise you are only able to recover one folder/object at a time.

Offsite backup as well as ease of configuration for non-technical users. We like that we don't have to spend a lot of time in set up - it's set-it-and-forget-it. Even though it might cost more in the long run due to annual costs vs. the cost of a physical backup, the ability to store data offsite and ability to recover them provides better recoverability in the event of a disaster.

CrashPlan review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Reliable backup solution"

What do you like best?

Unlimited storage; Supports all major OS: mac, windows and linux!

What do you dislike?

Restore speed is not great, restoring a full computer can take a REALLY long time and the interface for it is not that great. Pricing used to be better as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need Linux support, also consider Backblaze. They have a really good product and better pricing!

Backup of individual machines and external drives

CrashPlan review by <span>Savannah L.</span>
Savannah L.

"CrashPlan is great for backing up your data"

What do you like best?

Relatively easy to set up, easy to use, works automatically, multiple account integration

What do you dislike?

Could be easier to download/install, set up could be better. Sometimes times out.

Data backup, seamless use across different devices I need to back up

CrashPlan review by Consultant

"Solid, Stable, and Well Priced"

What do you like best?

Simplistic setup and billing. $10/device/mo (Crashplan Pro). Reliable backup and restore. High speed. Easy management.

What do you dislike?

Proprietary format. You can't browse your backup without the program

Off-Site backup for clients.

CrashPlan review by User in Research
User in Research

"CrashPlan is super easy to use"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about CrashPlan is its ease of use once it is set up!

What do you dislike?

The setup process took some amount of time, and wasn’t as straightforward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out how installation will work on your system.

We are protecting our data, which is a super important aspect of our every day work.

CrashPlan review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Good cross-platform enterprise backup"

What do you like best?

The reporting functionality and online user backup monitoring features are phenomenal.

What do you dislike?

Has been somewhat difficult to implement in our specific enterprise due to some custom scripting needed.

Users are not losing any or minimum data due to hard drive crashes. Easy to migrate users from a Windows to a Mac computer and vice versa

CrashPlan review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Works great!"

What do you like best?

It’s really easy to use and deploy to all my machines.

What do you dislike?

It’s a Java app and can be a little dodgy at times.

Needed a dependable cloud based backup solution. No longer need on-prem double dupe.

CrashPlan review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Not the Best"

What do you like best?

Easy for end users to use. Works reliably.

What do you dislike?

File-level backups and overall management is difficult.

End point backups.

Learning about CrashPlan?

* We monitor all CrashPlan reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Categories