Critical Mention

3.9

Critical Mention allows users to search global TV, radio, online news and social media, watch video, edit and internally share coverage, receive real-time email alerts, build reports, and analyze coverage through word clouds and graphs.

Work for Critical Mention?

Learning about Critical Mention?

Critical Mention Reviews

Ask Critical Mention a Question
Showing 87 Critical Mention reviews
Critical Mention review by Jordan D.
Jordan D.

"Media monitoring with Critical Mention"

What do you like best?

I liked how easy it is to monitor mentions of your company. In addition, I find it to be easy to find specific people I am looking for. I also like how I can search global TV, Radio, Online News, and social media in real time all on one platform.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how-how the platform displays analytics. I think it can be made easier for people who are not very good quantitatively.

Really, I am trying to find when the brands I represent are mentioned in the news, across all sorts of platforms. I have realized a few benefits, mainly through Critical Mention's ability to aggregate news.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Critical Mention
Critical Mention review by Jerry K.
Jerry K.

"Critical you know your tracking system."

What do you like best?

It provides a good tool to monitor media. It does a good job and the editing tool can be helpful. Used their system for nearly ten years. It did the job. Staff is polite and responsive.For broadcast TV it provides the best monitoring tool on the market.

What do you dislike?

Searches can miss a lot when closed captioning misspells words or their system is down. No notification system to tell you this for broadcast. Lost a client over this. Does not filter duplicate hits. System has gotten better but still could use some work on the user interface. Must backup you searches and download your clips or they will be lost by the system by the end of the year. Pricing is not flexible enough for small business needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest shopping around a bit before purchasing any software solution. Make sure what you is affordable and gets you the services you require.

Now a former customer. Moved onto using more affordable tracking software services.

What Media Monitoring solution do you use?

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Never miss a media clip for a client"

What do you like best?

I get daily emails with the most recent, TV & radio clips, categorized into folders for each client, based on search terms that I set. The "Wordplay" feature for clipping TV & radio segments is so incredibly easy to use and the fact that it works in tandem with the transcription of the radio or TV interview makes it even easier.

What do you dislike?

I wish the platform was able to pick up print clips and that it would be able to offer circulation/reach and publicity value for radio clips.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Google news to find print clips for your clients since the platform does not pick up print clips.

We do all of our media reporting for our clients with this platform. It helps us make sure that we don't miss any clips, which is especially helpful for national clients and from there, we are able to build our media reports.

"Critical Mention "

What do you like best?

Easy to use and search for videos within the database. Gives you the exact time each segment was played and also the date, which makes it easily accessible. Can also save videos in a specific category which makes it easier to save videos according to a specific group. Clips are also then saved within the specific time frame you want and don't include the information that has been cut from the clip.

What do you dislike?

Videos split into various time frames for one segment, making it harder to search for a specific clip. Sometimes search bar doesn't find the related topics your searching for which makes it a little harder to dig for content. Can't share the video lists within your network, only those with access to the drive can go in and add and remove videos.

Using it gather media clips and share them within the network. Also helpful in showing clients how much has been published about them in their recent products/events/spokespersons. Video content is very clear and not fogging or static making it easy to see and understand what is on the clip.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Service to track broadcast media coverage"

What do you like best?

I used Critical Mention at two different public relations firms over five years to track broadcast coverage for a large variety of clients. I received daily reports of clients media coverage and used it to track both positive and negative coverage. I appreciated receiving the daily reports and found the functionality to be fairly easy to use, but the process of actually clipping coverage could be difficult. Their support teams were typically fairly quick to get back in touch when I had an issue, and if I needed them to just create a clip or full report for me, I usually asked and had no issue having them do so.

What do you dislike?

I found the functionality to clip coverage somewhat difficult, although I've used IQmedia and found that it wasn't much better. Otherwise I found that the service mostly did what I needed it to do. My company switched to IQmedia after a couple of years due to the fact that Critical Mention clips do not stay live and are deleted after 30 or 90 days, which made it difficult to track client coverage over year spans.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use their support team as they can really help! If you're getting frustrated with their functionality, just ask for help!

In public relations, our main priority was securing and tracking media coverage for clients, including print, online, and broadcast. Using Critical Mention ensured we found the broadcast coverage that we secured, and monitored for negative stories.

Critical Mention review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great Program for Broadcast Monitoring"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to clip up your own clips, and their customer service is good for whenever their are any problems. There are unlimited search term, and you can set differing alerts for each term, either as it happens, daily, or weekly.

What do you dislike?

Closed captioning sometimes goes down, and they do not have a good enough system to let you know that there were problems, so sometimes clips get missed. There should be an email or banner notification that lets you know about problems with the closed captioning service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to negotiate how many downloads come with your package. It is important, as some plans charge per download, but you can arrange a set number to come with your contract if it is important for you to have copies not just in the portal.

This program is used for broadcast monitoring. Using it helps to determine when the client is mentioned on TV and radio programs. There is also a great search function that lets you search by time, keyword, channel, and market.

Critical Mention review by Megan T.
Megan T.

"Many Pros, One Con"

What do you like best?

The customer service has been great when I've had issues. The alerts for media hits come quickly and with lots of analytics. My clients are impressed with the real time understanding of coverage. The reports are easy to understand and offer ad equivalency value.

What do you dislike?

I did not know when I signed up about the limited radio monitoring. I gain a lot of radio interviews for clients and I was never able to get these for them to review. I wonder now about what I might be missing.

I couldn't afford to hire an employee to actively search for media hits or to compile reports. This software was a cheap way to save time and still provide evidence of results for clients.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Good platform for broadcast and radio monitoring"

What do you like best?

I like the clip editor feature. It is pretty easy to use and it allows you to only clip the portion of a broadcast you want, which clients appreciate.

What do you dislike?

Only being able to go back 60 days has it's limitations. The report and search functionalities can also be a little tedious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Critical Mention serves a great purpose in our agency, and while we don't use it all the time, it's really valued when we need it. The platform also has a daily email news alert feature, which is really helpful when you're monitoring for important news.

Media monitoring. When a client has a placement, particularly broadcast or radio, we are able to easily find it and prepare a report to share with them. We don't use it as much for online clips as it doesn't seem necessary.

Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Critical Mention Makes Broadcast Clipping EASY"

What do you like best?

What I like best about CM, is when you are searching for broadcast clips, you can easily clip the portion needed, and save it to a specific folder where the link you cut can be accessed there.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that I really dislike about this platform. It's super easy and helpful, when used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest that if you have an abundance of clients that land broadcast and radio clips (it does print/online too, if needed), I would 100% recommend getting this software. It really makes a PR professionals job so easy when obtaining radio and broadcast clips, especially when you can customize them

The business problem that I'm solving is the ability to have the broadcast (and radio) coverage to my client in real time. I realized that the benefit of this, is that you're able to have access to a clip, in real time, or even from the past, if needed.

Critical Mention review by Christina A.
Christina A.

"Critical Mention Provides Critical Coverage"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention is a comprehensive platform that monitors for client coverage online, on social media and on radio and television. Previously, I've had to use multiple monitoring services to find coverage for online hits, print mentions and broadcast, so it was a lot to keep track of. Critical Mention makes it easy to keep track of all types of coverage and offers analytics that can be built into reports to show value. Critical Mention also makes it easy to track social media mentions, which is extremely valuable in today's PR market.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are duplicate pieces of coverage which can be time consuming to sort through.

Critical Mention saves valuable time by tracking comprehensive client coverage. Otherwise, I would need to sort through hundreds of websites, magazines and newspapers. I can also easily create reports that I can share with clients. The real-time alerts ensure I don't miss any coverage and that I'll see it before the client does.

Critical Mention review by Mike S.
Mike S.

"Good product, always can be better"

What do you like best?

The product itself is fairly simple to use and you receive the email with the clip very quickly.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is difficult to find a clip because of the misspellings in the actual write-up of the segment. Also, links to videos do not last that long nor can you search more than 30 days back. There are also no audience numbers for radio clips.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you get a decent training in the program to utilize all the features and to learn how to use different search terms to find the exact clip you are looking for. Sometimes, it even helps to spell something wrong if there is a popular misspelling of the word.

I am able to find clips for my clients and send them along for the client to use for internal purposes.

Critical Mention review by Britny K.
Britny K.

"Good experience with Critical Mention"

What do you like best?

This is one of the only resources out there for me to find broadcast and radio coverage I've secured for my clients.

What do you dislike?

The interface IS NOT user-friendly. Issues with searching. Issues with pieces of coverage not showing up. Issues with stations not being included in the database. Issues with editing wordplay - literally requiring me to restart my computer or download a completely different web browser.

Reporting/ROI for my clients. Clients love to see all pieces of coverage.

Critical Mention review by Greta S.
Greta S.

"Gamechanger for TV Reporting"

What do you like best?

My firm has been pleasantly surprised by the impact this reporting tool has had on our client coverage reporting. There is so much value in the analytics, video, etc. that it provides.

What do you dislike?

Searching can be difficult at times given the Closed Captioning spelling errors, etc.

We previously weren't able to truly track and align numbers to TV and radio coverage for our clients. This tool has given us a great opportunity to share ROI of our work.

Critical Mention review by Scott T.
Scott T.

"Media monitoring that provides what I need"

What do you like best?

Critical mention put together a package that meets the needs of my organization. We are a regulated monopoly, so I don't need comparisons with competitors or many of the functions that another organization might.

What do you dislike?

Keyword search hits only stay in the system for 60 days, so you have to save your results at least every other month if you're going to do a year-end wrap up like I do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Each organization has its own needs when it comes to media monitoring. Understand what your needs are, how you want to use the product, who will be using it and how much time she/he/they will have to devote to the work. The picture you see from that assessment will be the best guide to finding the right software for your organization.

I use this for maintaining situational awareness of coverage and to show our executives the value that media relations brings to the organization. Using this tool, I can demonstrate how many times broadcast media outlets aired a story about our organization, the tone of that coverage (positive, negative or neutral) and the PR value of that coverage. I've shown up to $2.5 million worth of coverage in a year, which demonstrates the importance of the work I do.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"A crucial, but not particularly user-friendly tool"

What do you like best?

I have never come across a platform that has the access and the catalog that Critical Mention has for broadcast coverage of any kind. The custom clipping feature and unique links to coverage are also very helpful for compiling and distributing media clips.

What do you dislike?

The times and labels of the broadcast clips are often deceiving or incorrect. The script is often jibberish, leading to searching by keyword being very difficult at times particularly if your search terms are names. The billing for searching for clips and compiling reports is also cumbersome, each new client project requires a new billing code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Critical mention will yield few insights or analytics and it's not always easy to search for clips. That being said, it is a critically important tool in my opinion because I've found no other do that is as effective and reliable as CM when it comes to capturing and logging coverage from station across the country.

For many clients we monitor local broadcast news for coverage and measurement purposes. Critical Mention allows us to capture broadcast clips that other news monitoring sites often do not catch.

Critical Mention review by Emma L.
Emma L.

"Easy media clipping "

What do you like best?

Real-time notifications across all broadcast coverage, also quick and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are issues with videos loading/playing back.

I love that I get instant notifications for client mentions in the media. It’s quick and easy to clip the coverage and send in the same day to my client so we stay super relevant.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Sufficient Monitoring Service "

What do you like best?

Critical Mention allows you to fully customize your terms for each of your individual searches (mine are according to the brands I represent). They can be changed at any time for changing campaigns, etc. It also allows you to monitor television and online mentions. You can also monitor specific times of television broadcast, without needing a mention.

What do you dislike?

The service isn't perfect; it doesn't pick everything up and I find myself needing to search manually for broadcast mentions. It often doesn't find every online mention and I'll need to manually monitor.

It helps to monitor all pick-up for my client. My team has found that we are able to find placements/mentions from the brand without having to manually search most times. It's timesaving in that aspect, as it can pull all of the broadcast clips and we can create a report for the coverage.

Critical Mention review by Jess M.
Jess M.

"Essential tool for PR professionals"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention makes it super easy to monitor keywords and find client coverage across the Internet's news sites, social media platforms, radio and television. Even in an age of DVR, it's nearly impossible for a PR professional to capture all of a client's broadcast mentions. Critical Mention keeps me updated on these pieces of coverage and provides sophisticated analytics that can be built into reports and shared with team members and clients. I think it's a lot more user friendly than TV Eyes, which I've also used, and it's more comprehensive because it can also track online and social media conversations.

What do you dislike?

Clips are sometimes duplicated, but this is typical of other monitoring services as well. Also, for TV, there are a lot of typos in the transcripts. Again, I've found this same issue with TV Eyes monitoring service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do a demo with Critical Mention and TV Eyes (as well as other similar services). I think you'll find that Critical Mention beats out its competitors by a mile.

With Critical Mention, I'm saving time and reducing the effort that goes into tracking client coverage and building reports to demonstrate the value of this coverage. Critical Mention makes sure that I'm not missing any key pieces of coverage. I can get real-time alerts, search within Critical Mention, view data on each hit and more.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Critical Mention Helps Me Find All my Clips! "

What do you like best?

The search option in Critical Mention makes finding any clips super easy. I like the word play that accompanies many clips and makes finding what I am looking for super easy.

What do you dislike?

The radio clips could use some beefing up. I feel like a lot is missing. Also the transcript could be a little bit more accurate and closer to the time when the words were actually said.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use critical mention and send your clients the direct link! This program makes finding broadcast clips so easy!

This software helps me find segments where clients are featured so easily. It updates in real time so they are readily available!

Critical Mention review by Cassity M.
Cassity M.

"I loved my experience with Critical Mention!"

What do you like best?

I liked how the program worked as well as how the system was designed. It was relatively user friendly for someone like me who isn't always that great at new software.

What do you dislike?

I can't really say that I disliked much of anything about Critical Mention, thankfully.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company is looking for quality and effective software that is pretty user friendly, then I would highly suggest Critical Mention!

It provided us with the opportunity to really see some areas we need improvement and work on those areas specifically to better help those in which we market to.

Critical Mention review by Kate S.
Kate S.

"Critical Mention is helpful for finding broadcast coverage."

What do you like best?

I like how we can edit the clips to show our clients only the parts of the clip that they are interested in without having to show the entire TV segment.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes difficult to find certain clips due to closed captioning words being different spelling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is helpful to type in several different ways to spell a word you're looking for due to closed captioning.

Critical Mention is very helpful in finding broadcast media clips for clients who have appeared on TV.

Critical Mention review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Good software for monitoring broadcast news and radio"

What do you like best?

The ability to pull both radio and TV clips and download them or email them to internal audiences for viewing. This software is best for organizations that generic a large amount of local news clips: both TV and radio; or syndicated news and want to be able to track the output and view/hear the content.

What do you dislike?

Pulling clips could sometimes be dependent on how well and accurately the captioning service captured your organization or speaker's name.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The support service was always very responsive. I had them help me to narrow down my keywords and they were also able to problem solve when there were issues with locating a clip if the captioning didn't pick it up. If you know what outlet and generally what hour(s) your piece aired they'll be able to help you track it down.

Better able to monitor and find media clips.

"Critical Mention Review"

What do you like best?

I LOVE how user-friendly Critical Mention is and how easy it is to find the exact media clips I am searching for. I also love how easy it is to put together full reports for clients that include all of the media coverage we've secured for them for an event, a month's time, etc.

What do you dislike?

The "wordplay" feature is a bit cumbersome, but necessary to use because the media clips that pop up after a search are almost always off a bit (i.e. still include the segment before, a commercial, etc.).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Critical Mention to other PR professionals.

We use Critical Mention to report and measure coverage we secure for clients, and clients really enjoy receiving a link from us that takes to them to a full report that includes all of their radio and TV coverage.

Critical Mention review by Keith W.
Keith W.

"Critical Mention Review"

What do you like best?

The costumer service is top of the line and the ability to pull clips is invaluable.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a little confusing and takes some time to learn how to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, I recommend using Critical Mention

We are able to show clients an entire platform of placements we can get them with

"Critical Mention Review"

What do you like best?

It's great tool for getting broadcast numbers for PR professionals and is a much needed resource for the industry.

What do you dislike?

It's not very easy to use and the interface is very confusing to figure out most of the time when you're using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If there is an alternative to Critical Mention that you can use at your company, then use it unless you can request a report to be pulled for you from their company

Coverage tracking, viewership numbers, ad values for segments and etc.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Critical Mention - The one and only"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention gives you everything you'd possibly need for PR TV monitoring. In my opinion, CM is the industry standard. No one can do what CM can do. If you wanted to do something as silly as search the last five minutes of the bachelorette, you can do that.

What do you dislike?

The only downfall to CM is the non-closed captioning function. Sometimes TV stations dont provide closed captioning for their programs rendering it difficult to search for your clip. The only way you'd be able to find it is if you know the time and station your spot ran on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not sure whether CM will solve your problems, reach out to them anyway. It's possible their support team can put together a solution for whatever your client/brand needs are. Additionally, some of their new product capabilities make the platform easier to use and your clips wont expire!

Critical Mention solves the broadcast TV monitoring problem for my team. We're able to capture all clips that mention our clients.

Critical Mention review by Jonathan H.
Jonathan H.

"Very useful"

What do you like best?

Critical mention helps us keep track of all the media chatter relevant to our brand. Great reporting that allows us to stay on top of all the press we're getting, on and offline.

What do you dislike?

As with any tool, it's not perfect. There are often false mentions and mentions that aren't detected. I don't think any tool will ever get this 100%.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This could be a must have, especially if your business is always in the media. A great tool for tracking your brand online and in the news. Easy to show ROI and performance.

We are able to keep track of our brand in the media and report back our impressions and mentions to determine marketing value and ROI.

"Critical Mention "

What do you like best?

It's the best and most seamless way to find broadcast clips and the impressions tend to be accurate. The search engines ability to track Boolean terms and networks is also extremely helpful because it provides a more seamless and simple way to find exactly what you're looking for.

What do you dislike?

Clipping them can be difficult when you're trying to utilize the text function to save a clip within a minute or less. Also, the functionality can sometimes malfunction while searching.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It takes a while to master it but once you've figured it out, you will be good to go and finding/tracking/saving coverage will be seamless

It provides a seamless way to track and source broadcast coverage, complete with impressions.

Critical Mention review by Tanner W.
Tanner W.

"Decent But Clunky"

What do you like best?

Good for broadcast clips, which many media monitoring services don't offer. Offers an automatic report that is customizable so that you can edit media briefs directly in the software.

What do you dislike?

-It's often clunky and slow. Loading broadcast clips takes a long time. Many digital news outlets aren't covered, so briefings aren't complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

-Not necessarily the best media monitoring service, unless you're primarily focused on broadcast.

Critical Mention was a method of monitoring media coverage.

Critical Mention review by User in Civic & Social Organization
User in Civic & Social Organization

"Useful if you need to track organization media mentions"

What do you like best?

Great at consolidating clips that mention our organization and campaigns without us having to do the legwork.

What do you dislike?

The links to video, such as news clips, are not able to be shared, which limits the usefulness. Ideally,these would be links to the station's own clips so that they could be shared on social media.

It allows us to pass on news clippings easily to senior management and show the value of our media work.

"Monitoring Review"

What do you like best?

I like how everything is in one place and easy to use. Whenever we have a big event/announcement I can count on Critical Mention to capture everything.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes some videos do not load, or are unavailable. I think to make it easier moving forward, if they are unable to get access to a clip they should alert us ahead of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask questions if you are unsure of something. The staff at Critical Mention wants tor make sure you are getting the most out of their software and are alerting them of any issues.

Using Critical Mention we are able to access clips in an efficient manner.

Critical Mention review by Savannah J.
Savannah J.

"Critical Mention is great for broadcast clipping"

What do you like best?

The ease of use to search, browse, customize and clip broadcast and radio hits. The clips come in in nearly real-time and the UX is easy to use. Love the compiled reports and analytics

What do you dislike?

Occasionally the WordPlay custom clippings are slightly off and need to be done manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the analytics in the coverage reports and use WordPlay function to customize clips

Critical Mention is excellent for broadcast clipping and monitoring

"Good user interface"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention has good user experience and is very intuitive to use (much more so than TV Eyes). It is easy to edit clips in a precise manner, and most stations have viewership data available.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there are separate subscriptions for TV and radio. Also, there are sometimes lag issues (where the text does not align with the audio) that make it hard to use the Wordplay feature and cut clips without watching the full segment.

We frequently use Critical Mention to pull broadcast clips for clients in real time or close to real time.

"Easy and accurate"

What do you like best?

As PR professional, I use Critical Mention to find on point segment clips mentioning my client's brand. I've always been able to track, download and share these videos efficiently and effectively, resulting in accurate measurements for my client.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be challenging to find the exact segment at the exact time it aired, however, I've always been able to track it eventually.

We are looking to capture brand mentions on a segment, as a result of our PR outreach. This showcases our work and effort reaching out to media and the success that comes with it.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Good for pulling clips that aren't available elsewhere"

What do you like best?

Relatively easy to use, good database, customer service is responsive. Reasonably priced.

What do you dislike?

The archive period isn't that long, so while it's good at capturing recent clips, it's not that useful for due diligence, research, media audit. Understandable, given the file size/storage limitations of that much video, and think it's probably for the best that they've chosen a broad net for a short time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure that you pull needed clips out before the archive period is up.

Primarily providing clips to clients as part of media coverage reports/as a result of our pitch efforts, occasionally monitoring competitors.

Critical Mention review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Critical Mention is Critical for tracking"

What do you like best?

I love how you can customize your reports. They look sp professional custom logos and graphs.

What do you dislike?

If you don't have your keywords exact, you will be missing data

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize your customer support contact to help with Keyword set up. They are amazing.

This software is a life savor when it comes to tracking press releases.

Critical Mention review by Elora T.
Elora T.

"Good for media monitoring, wish it did more"

What do you like best?

It does a good job of catching media mentions and rarely misses relevant clips.

What do you dislike?

It does not provide external links back to the original piece that ran or aired, which makes publicizing those clips extremely difficult.

We use Critical Mention to monitor our company in the news and to ensure we are not mission media mentions nationwide.

Critical Mention review by Fred L.
Fred L.

"Excellent for Campaign and every day mentions"

What do you like best?

the ability to find television spots with ease

What do you dislike?

A slight learning curve to finding specific keywords and sometimes airing I know are going up are not available or blacked out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent for Television media monitoring. I used other software for mining digital mentions

Finding media mentions to report to clients with audience numbers.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"The best monitoring for broadcast"

What do you like best?

Critical mention utilizes a robust engine that collects audio references based on keywords. This provides us the opportunity to share media hits with clients

What do you dislike?

There are some features that cost money that we would like to utilize but choose not to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Critical mention uses keywords to find the content that you are seeking. Sometimes it doesn't fully recognize client's names or brands, but customer service will help with this.

As a PR agency, we need to share media hits - radio, tv mentions and interviews - with our client promptly. Critical mention offers us this opportunity.

"Dependable"

What do you like best?

Critical mention is great for monitoring broadcast coverage. Clips are delivered in a timely manner and updates are included every few hours. If you're not a regular member they also offer a pay by clip deal, which we also use for some clients. Overall this service is a wonderful asset to any media tracking company.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, this tool does exactly what it needs to.

This service provides us with media clips that enable us to report clips and impression numbers to our clients.

Critical Mention review by Agency in Market Research
Agency in Market Research

"Excellent Broadcast Monitoring Tool"

What do you like best?

I like the functional layout and intuitive design. It's American coverage is great is updated in a fairly timely manner which super convenient for tight turnarounds on reports.

What do you dislike?

Within the agency world, the year long contract is a deal breaker for me with certain clients. Occasionally clients want to track something for a couple months and a year long contract is unnecessary and expensive.

The business problem that I am solving is ensuring that companies always have a 360 degree of their perception.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"great for tv monitoring but not online stories"

What do you like best?

i only use critical mention to monitor for broadcast segments. it's a great way to get accurate numbers about reach

What do you dislike?

i do not think the way that critical mention sets up searches is intuitive

Recommendations to others considering the product

don't use it for online story monitoring. found it was not great for this at all so now we only use it for broadcast monitoring

makes it easy to monitor for segments (since sometimes news stations don't put their segments online) and it greatly helps to solve the problem of having accurate reach numbers for broadcast segments

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Better than most tools for broadcast, radio monitoring"

What do you like best?

This tool is far more thorough in areas of broadcast and radio than other monitoring tools.

What do you dislike?

Does not offer significant advantages over other monitoring services for social and print.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A huge help if you're doing monitoring for clients with significant broadcast reach.

I have used primarily for media monitoring as a public relations function, as stated about it's helpful to have a thorough platform for broadcast instead of just print and social.

Critical Mention review by Kaitlyn C.
Kaitlyn C.

"Makes my job easier"

What do you like best?

Highlights and Digest emails- does a great job at scoping the landscape for coverage defined by keywords

What do you dislike?

No way to filter out media outside US. Lots of times find things that arent relevant to my country.

Recommendations to others considering the product

get the package that includes broadcast clips unlimited

Need to identify by SKU

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Critical Mention + OREO"

What do you like best?

The Critical Mention employees are great in responding to issues I am having with the site, I also love how quick the process of downloading the videos and clips is.

What do you dislike?

How some of the scripts do not accurately pick up words and spelling is incorrect, making it difficult to track for coverage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

none!

We are able to pull audience numbers and reports regarding each of our product launches and compare numbers to previous launches.

Critical Mention review by Sara L.
Sara L.

"Critical Mention Review "

What do you like best?

fast and efficient when searching for clips

What do you dislike?

very unreliable and not all clips were always captured

tracking broadcast clips for clients

Critical Mention review by Kaitlin C.
Kaitlin C.

"Critical Mention has always been a good source to find video clips. "

What do you like best?

I am able to find everything I need in real-time which is very ,much required for our job.

What do you dislike?

The search feature is a bit confusing and sharing across the team can be harder than needed.

Our clioents like to see the full mention of their products so having this tool allows us to have an in-depth analsysis of what the feedback is to help us be more targeted moving forward.

Critical Mention review by David G.
David G.

"Good but other providers do the same thing "

What do you like best?

I think it works great but other providers like cision offer the same service with more built in

What do you dislike?

I think it’s great other than you can get more out of other systems

Media monitoring and tracking

Critical Mention review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Media managers dream "

What do you like best?

I love critical mentions ability to capture broadcast news

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you can search archives for broadcast news older than 30 or so days

Recommendations to others considering the product

Critical mention is great for broadcast news, but if you’re only tracking print and online, it may not be your best option.

The publicity value and audience numbers tell a great story of how much awareness were generating with broadcast news stories

"useful tool"

What do you like best?

helpful to find when we're tagged so that we know our owned media

What do you dislike?

sometimes the link doesn't work and we have to enable flash

seeing owned and earned media

"Account Executive"

What do you like best?

Media monitoring between different verticals, advanced reporting options.

What do you dislike?

The media monitoring tool can be tricky for general searches, especially when trying to find placements in broadcast tv or radio

Recommendations to others considering the product

Streamline media monitoring service

Media monitoring and reporting

"Works as advertised"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention is an easy to use media monitoring software, mainly for broadcast mentions. Throughout our contract with Critical Mention they have consistently been delivering more and more options - including radio and online monitoring.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes closed captions are not accurate - however this is not Critical Mention's fault, rather a fault with the broadcasters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, nice looking analytics, and great extra features if you want them. You get a lot of bang for your buck with Critical Mention.

We are able to effectively monitor across 210 DMAs with Critical Mention.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Great way to find and manage hits"

What do you like best?

The ability to create and save a full report of media hits is a great feature.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the text alongside the video does not quite match up and this has made it extremely difficult to find important clips for clients

It is create for helping clients understand the value of what we do for them. Being able to put a dollar amount to ad value for any broadcast station in the country has been key.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Better options out there"

What do you like best?

Critical mention did a workmanlike job of pulling TV clips and you could eventually find what you were looking for most of the time and make a serviceable clip

What do you dislike?

The user interface was very clunky and cumbersome to use, customer service was suboptimal

Recommendations to others considering the product

iQ media may be a better platform

Capturing clips of tv segments for media monitoring and sharing with clients

"Average"

What do you like best?

Email alerts, the ability to send links for people to view who do not have a subscription

What do you dislike?

Words that are similar but do not pertain my my brand, the ciritical mention link to video goes away in 14 days

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to double check all mentions and watch the clip as sometimes the clip does not mention the right segment

Quick flagging

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"CM - great for tracking specific clips"

What do you like best?

For us CM is used mostly for broadcast clips. Its search function makes finding the right clip a bit easier and I like the ability to tailor the section of a broadcast hit to help the client focus on their messaging within a segment. The folks we deal with at CM are usually very responsive and helpful.

What do you dislike?

No major complaints - for the full suite it is great. I would be interested if they had a lower tier pricing for just online news platform monitoring and clip tracking.

Brand awareness and education through proactive messaging.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Weber Shandwick Critical Mention Review"

What do you like best?

That CM pulls the data for you with minimal searching needed.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it pulls too much info and for more broad clients, you will have to dig a little harder.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Contact the support line and they will help you.

Reporting and monitoring for clients. I can download a report straight from the site.

Critical Mention review by Maura H.
Maura H.

"Critical Mention - Eh"

What do you like best?

Can search by keyword(s), outlet and/or time.

What do you dislike?

A little difficult to use and/or understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to set up searches and keywords.

Broadcast and radio monitoring.

"Tested and Interested"

What do you like best?

The dashboard is super user friendly and provides insights that I can relay directly back to clients.

What do you dislike?

There are services with better features, but this one holds its own at a good price point.

We are able to more accurately provide numerical value into the work we do to secure media placements.

Critical Mention review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Critical MentionReview"

What do you like best?

I love the ability of Critical Mention to really capture everything news related and store it.

What do you dislike?

Price can be a little steep and inflexible for small business.

It keeps me up to date with all news clips so that nationally we aren’t missing huge stories which benefits our company because it makes us appear “on the ball”.

Critical Mention review by Caroline H.
Caroline H.

"great "

What do you like best?

organization and accuracy is very reliable

What do you dislike?

nothing its a great service and i would recommend

coverage reporting and ensuring that all coverage is reported accuratelhy and in real time. it is very important to our client that our total numbers reflect all relevant coverage and product mentions to guarantee accurate results.

"Critical Mention Review"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention is a fantastic tool for monitoring broadcast coverage for a variety of clients. The customizability for dashboards and search terms is robust and helpful.

What do you dislike?

Critical mention is ideal for broadcast coverage monitoring, but it would be great to integrate it more with traditional print/online mentions, as well as a social media monitoring tools.

CM is best for broadcast coverage monitoring and it is the key tool that I use for such work.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Great for broadcast monitoring"

What do you like best?

Best feature of Critical Mention is being able to edit video as needed.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the media search bring out too many results and duplicates. Having to look though those can take up time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not sure about the pricing, but in terms of functionality the program is great for monitoring mentions of your client and industry in the news.

It's been really helpful for monitoring and sharing broadcast coverage of special events, TV clips and industry trends. It's easy to create project-specific reports.

Critical Mention review by User in Computer Software

"Does the job but difficult to use"

What do you like best?

Gets the clips I need, Boolean search is useful

What do you dislike?

Search isn't always great, run into pitfalls with the captioning and trying to search. Soemtimes hard to find second part f a clip or you have to make multiple clips for one segment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

once you figure out the tips and tricks it gets better, but it's finicky

Media monitoring

Critical Mention review by Angel O.
Angel O.

"Buena página"

What do you like best?

Porque tiene muchas utilidades la página

What do you dislike?

Que algunas partes no deberían estar ahi

Ganar cosas

Critical Mention review by Morris I.
Morris I.

"My experience was mediocre"

What do you like best?

I liked the realtime insights best and the ability to monitor multiple PR channels

What do you dislike?

Software was not intuitive, difficult to use