Cubase

Cubase offers tools for musical genres and lets you record, edit, and mix your songs like a musician, while providing a professional, studio-grade audio quality at all stages of the creative process.

Work for Cubase?

Learning about Cubase?

Cubase Reviews

Showing 20 Cubase reviews
Cubase review by Hugh C.
Hugh C.

"The easiest-to-use software when it comes to recording audio in exceptional quality"

What do you like best?

I have been using Cubase for a long while and I can say that it is the easiest-to-use software you will find. I am a fan of some of its features such as its cut and delete option, which allows me to erase any part of an audio recording that I do not like in just seconds. Another cool feature is its simple copy and paste system that allows me to record an audio file, and simply select that track, copy and then paste it, so that my audio has more volume and deepness. The most important part is that Cubase is really easy to use and learn.

What do you dislike?

When I first bought Cubase, it was really hard to instal on my computer and make it work with my audio card: it said on the box that the installation and set-up with most audio card was simple and quick, basically, I just had to follow the instructions on the screen and download the right plug-ins, but this was not true, , as I had to spend almost 5 days trying to make the software work with my current audio card.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are like me, and you are trying to pick out the best recording software among the many offerings out there, then my suggestion is that you use Cubase, as it is really easy to use and the quality of the recordings (if you have a nice audio card / DAW) is top notch.

One of the jobs I do as an owner of a home freelancing business is voicing over videos. Because of this, I need a reliable and professional software that allows me to record the audio for those videos in an easy way, and label them quickly as well. Cubase helps me achieve this task with extreme ease, because recording with this software is a piece of cake.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Cubase
Cubase review by Omar L.
Omar L.

"This is the best software to make recordings with studio quality"

What do you like best?

I like that Cubase is the easiest and most professional software that anyone can I use to record songs in a professional quality: I really love that I simply need to add a new audio track in the project panel, then I have to name it in order to differentiate it from other instruments, and then I just have to start recording instantly my instrument. Furthermore, it´s amazing that I when I use a recording interface with Cubase, it´s recognized almost immediately.

What do you dislike?

Something I dislike regarding Cubase is the learning curve for using it in a professional way. For me, it was a nightmare to set up everything ithe right way: even with the easy start-up videos, I had a hard time learning to use the advanced features of Cubase (it took me about 3 weeks, having to be glued to my computer., but to be really frank, it was totally worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you´re thinking to get a professional software to set up your home studio, and you don´t know if you want to choose from the many software out there, then I´ll make the decision easier for you: Cubase is the right choice. It´s really easy to use and it´s an industry standard.

I record songs and short tracks for my freelance house business, and it´s a breeze to recod them with a little help of my friend, Cubase. I can say that Cubase is responsible for making me earn a bit of money on the internet, because it allows me to record the songs I sell with complete ease.

What Audio Engine solution do you use?

Cubase review by Otis B.
Otis B.

"Has all of the primary tools you need for sound editing and music production"

What do you like best?

Cubase is a full-featured digital audio workstation that's been around for many years and is still one of the top choices for audio production. I like that I can import a raw track and remove background noise from it and compress the track to make it sound sound fuller, which can help to bring out the best in whatever project I'm working on. After you take some time to learn how to use it, Cubase is relatively easy to use. You can add new track, whether they're MIDI tracks, audio recordings or a sound pattern, and just start laying a song down right away with just your mouse and keyboard. You can easily add a MIDI controller to program sounds with a keyboard or a drum pad.

What do you dislike?

Overall, Cubase is still an advanced editing tool and will probably be pretty difficult for beginners to use in a meaningful way. Even after you use it for a long time, you may still not be able to make really good tracks without having a strong background in music production. You have to understand mixing, balancing sounds and have a lot of experience with each of the tools and plugins that you use to create tracks. The price for Cubase is a bit high, but that's to be expected for professional software like this. I could probably get away with using cheaper software to do lots of the stuff I do with audio in Cubase, but for me, I like to use it because I want to be able to learn it little by little a be really good at it at some point in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cubase isn't the most user-friendly audio software, so if you're not really into music production and don't understand the nuances of sound editing, then Cubase is probably not the best fit for you. You might want to try out free software like Audacity or lower cost software like light versions of Pro Tools. A simple Google search can show you a good handful of free or low-cost software that you can start out with for basic editing like cleaning up the background noise or compressing tracks. If you want to just cut tracks, you can actually do that in video editing programs like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker.

I've been able to take raw sounds and edit them cleanly so that they can make lots of the video projects I work on more professional. I can also save money from not having to buy stock music, since I can create basic tracks that we can use as background music in things like corporate video, social media videos or website videos. We can use existing projects on Cubase for new projects. We can keep the settings so we don't have to start from scratch. We can use most of the same levels and such so that we can have similar sounding tracks across all of our media.

Cubase review by Jonathan C.
Jonathan C.

"Compact and powerfull DAW. The best quality for audio recording."

What do you like best?

Simply connect an audio interface or mixing board to your USB port and select as your main input device in the "Device Configuration" menu. Then you can record instruments and microphones directly into Cubase without any noise interference, as you would in a professional studio.

Using Cubase, you can record an entire band arrangement, including guitars, bass, percussion, synthesizers and sound effects, using nothing more than a MIDI keyboard. Just connect a MIDI control keyboard to your USB port, open the "VST Instruments" menu (in "devices" in the menu bar) and select an instrument sound you want to emulate.

Multi-Tracking: You can record the drum in one song, your drum in another, the bass in another and then the guitar in a track room. This allows you to maintain full control over the sound when mixing and mastering. Cubase allows you to create an unlimited number of individual tracks and record in the same way, just like professionals.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve. At first can be a headhache to familiarized with it. It took me while to master it. But once you handled it, can be a very powerfull tool depending on your needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is perfect for when you are recording with a band. The quality of the audio recording is "A1" .

If you have a home studio i highly recomends Cubase for his versatility and high quality features. At first can be annoying and complex to use. But its definitely deserves the try.

I am developing my own music label and i started with a home studio. At the begining Cubase fitted perfect for my needs. I am always in the looking for the best DAW. Cubase is definitely in the top. His versatility allows you to record the highest quality sounds and do the mixing and mastering on a upper echelon level, Is the right DAW for when you are recording with a band. It defenitely improved my work and take it to the next level.

Cubase review by Marcia R.
Marcia R.

"Set up a professional studio with an average audio interface and Cubase ..."

What do you like best?

Perhaps the best feature of Cubase is that it lets me record tracks in a very High Quality, and this is important for people like me, who earn money by recording musicians and voice artists. One more thing I like is that I learnt to use it in a couple days; learning to use it was simple because i just had to watch the video tutorials that Cubase shared when I registered my copy. The last thing I like is that it gives me the opportunity to add as many virtual instruments as I want, so I can record and edit a wide variety of songs and styles.

What do you dislike?

I think that like most users, I dislike the price, because I find it a bit expensive (because it costs a little bit above four hundred dollars). One more thing I dislike is the fact that when I try to cut or erase a portion of any recording (for example, a mitake or an unwanted ending of a track record), I can´t do it at any point I want, because this has to be done at certain "intervals". This has becomes a hurdle when I try to refine or master a song.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Let´s face it, this is an expensive software and some people won´t be able to afford it. Nevertheless, this will be the best software you can get if you´re planning to set up a high quality home or professional studio

Well ... what can I say? Cubase is the reason that I have a recording studio, as well as the reason that I have the clients and income from that studio. In a few words, Cubase lets me offer high quality recordings to reasonable prices for musicians and voice artists who want a quality final product, but don´t have the budget to pay above one hundred dollars for an hour of recording in a porfessional studiol.

Cubase review by Will j.
Will j.

"I have been using cubase since 2004, and i still use it today!"

What do you like best?

Cubase has served me very well over the years, its a lot easier to use than Pro Tools, the layout is more simple, but still functional. everything you need is clearly laid down for you to see

What do you dislike?

The price is a little steep, but it is a very good program and is worth the premium you pay. the sound quality doesn't seem to be as good a pro tools ,but i'm not sure

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easier than Pro Tools

Cubase was a big stepup of Audacity for when i mix/mater tracks for my clients

Cubase review by Erik S.
Erik S.

"WITH CUBASE, YOU WON´T NEED A RECORDING STUDIO ANYMORE!"

What do you like best?

I honestly think that Cubase might be the most powerful paid recording software I´ve used (maybe only matched by Reaper). It´s interface is so simple to use that you´ll learn to set up everything you need within a couple of hours. I honestly enjoy a lot how easy it´s to record my own songs when I use Cubase, because I basically just need to connect my recording interface (such as Steinberg or Focusrite), get a decent microphone (like a cheap Shure mic), click the upper panel so that these devices are recognized, and I´m ready to start recording. It´s also so easy to edit your songs with some of the templates that come with the software when you buy it, that you´ll only ask yourself “why I didn´t buy this sooner?”.

What do you dislike?

Something I really hated of Cubase at the beginning is that it comes with a default option, which automatically records an instrument or voice over each track you record. This issue took many days to be solved, and this is something I really hated (I almost ask for a refund). I think that the people at Cubase should disable this option so that musicians like me (who aren´t audio engineers or something like that) can easily record as soon as we get the software. Basically, this is the only complaint I have with the software, because it really has helped me record songs with great professional quality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maybe my only recommendation for Cubase is that they could decrease their software price a little bit because I think it´s a bit overpriced.

One of the ways I get an extra income (because I work from home) is by recording bits of songs and selling them on the internet. The business problem that Cubase helps me solve is the following: Cubase makes it easy for me to record, so that I can focus on what matters: creating catchy songs that I can sell and that my clients will love. If you make songs to sell, and if their quality isn´t really good, you won´t get really far with this.

Cubase review by User

"A audio workstation with lots of tools and features"

What do you like best?

We can enhance the sound of audio tracks from voice recordings and add them to our videos, which makes the video more professional and engaging. We can also create music tracks with an easy to use sequencer and drum machine. There are stock loops that we can start with and layer them with other loops and sounds to make background songs that fit our projects. There are lots of online tools and resources to help you figure things out.

What do you dislike?

It can be very complicated to use certain features. There are a ton of options, knobs and such that can be manipulated to create the sound you want, but understanding what everything does can be confusing and takes a great deal, often year or experience to get a hang of.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is probably isn't the best tool if you're just starting out with sound editing, but it is a program that if you learn the basics you may eventually be able to leverage for more professional sound recordings.

We can create or edit audio files pretty quickly. The presets help get us on the right track so we at least are going in the right direction. The loops and packaged sounds are plentiful and enough for us to create seemingly unlimited tracks.

Cubase review by Dmitry K.
Dmitry K.

"My favorite daw for live recording sessions, audio mixing, audio editing"

What do you like best?

Nice user friendly interface and design, really like it. Many plug ins supported, if you only have to deal with sound recording and audio editing it can be indispensable. It works good for game audio production as well, but i never use it that way. I like official manuals it's very helpful when you are making first steps in it. Cubase is my first daw. I work with it for 6 years and i believe that this program will continue to help me with my work

What do you dislike?

Many functions that i don't use at all. It's not good enough for electronic music needs. It will be great if i use only one DAW for all my work with audio, but i have too use several DAWs.

Sometimes it doesn't work pretty well with projects which included more than 20 tracks.

Not all the plugins that i use are integrated properly. I wish it will be better one day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good program for recording and audio processing. If you are sound editor, recording or mixing engineer and you mostly work with live audio you probably will be satisfied.

Live mixing, live recording, audio editing. I use it generally for live sound purposes and sound editing. When i need to record guitar or live drums and then mix it i use cubase. Really like the functionality and quality of the product. I recommend it for my indie rock band friends.

Cubase review by jose v.
jose v.

"robust "

What do you like best?

Cubase is a well rounded sequencer with a robust engine and all the tools you would ever need for your daily audio tasks; audio editing, mixing, recording or film scoring. Its interface is quite friendly to the newcomer and it offers numerous shortcuts in order to enhance your workflow.

What I like about Cubase is the integrality and ease to create your tracks or musical projects in a simple way, in addition to the professional level quality that you give to your projects.If you are an integral musician, you will make a track in one day.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike a bit is the compatibility with some audio interfaces, sometimes it is a bit complex to integrate them with the software., the way you need to switch tools (razor, pointer, etc.) to edit your audio. It feels clunky compared to Ableton's editing commands that allow you to select features by right clicking and with key commands--however I will say, the workflow may become more fluid as we use the software more. I do wish there was an info pane that explained all of the features upon hovering (as Ableton has provided).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to look over the features. Check the different versions and see what features are useful for you.

Cubase review by Evan K.
Evan K.

"A very good all round sequencer."

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

Maybe one of the most important downsides of Cubase is its MIDI function; recording and editing seems a bit flimsy and it can easily discourage users to use it for MIDI purposes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're up to music production and particularly the electronic kind, you are better off going for a copy of Ableton's Live 9. It offers great audio effects straight out of the box and its friendly and convenient user interface makes it that much easier to use and enhance your workflow.

It is a great program whatsoever regardless of a few flaws here and there and it can easily serve as your main workstation, but I wouldn't trade my Pro Tools system for a copy of Cubase.

User in Music

"4 Years of experience with Cubase to to 6.5"

What do you like best?

Cubase is VST compatible and when I was starting that was important. Very flexible. The stock plug ins are very useful, especially the eq on every channel. The routing is also simple. An average price of entry. You can start with a limited version and upgrade up.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there are different versions with limited features. The biggest is the track number and bus number.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As an audio engineer, I used Cubase to track, edit mix and master. Cubase is great for tracking and I really liked it for editing. Having an efficient workflow, makes me think less about working the software and more about being creative.

Cubase review by Will F.
Will F.

"Excellent for all audio recording/mastering!"

What do you like best?

Cubase is seriously incredible. I've been using it for 4 years and have never had issues with it. It's perfect for all music mastering and recording. If your workload is more producing focused, you'll want something like Ableton.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything I dislike about Cubase. If you're just starting off, it can be a bit difficult to get a feel for the program, but luckily there's YouTube video tutorials.

As I said, Cubase is great for mastering and recording. Whether you have a small home studio or work in a large professional studio, this program is for you.

Cubase review by User

"Powerfull and easy to use"

What do you like best?

Simple way to record, and arrange multiple tracks.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally the external sound card connection is sketchy. there is a button in the interface that will reset this pretty easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best value you will get from a recording suit.

I use it for professional music recording of original songs fro albums and for mixing down the songs. It works well and is qucik to learn, but deep enough to get the job done.

Cubase review by G2 Crowd User in Music
G2 Crowd User in Music

"Switching from Ableton to Cubase"

What do you like best?

Cubase seems to offer some powerful features for music production that Ableton doesn't have. It also has a reputation of having a great mix engine that can give users more headroom in their mix. This is what motivated us to make the switch. We really like that you can enter full screen for the mixer--it makes it easier to make fine level adjustments.

What do you dislike?

I personally dislike the way you need to switch tools (razor, pointer, etc.) to edit your audio. It feels clunky compared to Ableton's editing commands that allow you to select features by right clicking and with key commands--however I will say, the workflow may become more fluid as we use the software more. I do wish there was an info pane that explained all of the features upon hovering (as Ableton has provided).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend reading a manual or watching tutorials before jumping into the software. Cubase may be more similar to Pro Tools in terms of its interface, but it is a difficult switch from Ableton.

The learning curve is very steep, we haven't encountered any problems or glitches in the program yet. To be honest we haven't seen any benefits yet compared to our results with Ableton.

Cubase review by User in Higher Education

"Cubase is a decent all in one DAW"

What do you like best?

I like the amount of plugins included and the VariPitch Feature

What do you dislike?

I dislike the new mixer introduced in Cubase 7 and the cumbersome audio editing features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cubase is a decent DAW with good integration with several Steinberg / Yamaha products.

I am able to use Cubase to import sessions from others for collaboration.

User in Music

"Not my favorite, fine for someone dabbling"

What do you like best?

I did not care much for cubase other than in my experience it was more affordable than other programs.

What do you dislike?

Clunky functionality, confusing layout. Not very musician-oriented.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the money to use protools or logic, do it. Cubase is ok if you are just getting started and want an affordable option for recording to try it out, but really you wont get very far and probably wont enjoy your recording experience.

Don't use cubase if you have the capital for something better.

Cubase review by G2 Crowd User
G2 Crowd User

"Good one for the pros"

What do you like best?

Ok, lets say you have used all other music/audio production tools and would like to take on a more advanced challenge, this software is for you. I tried using it for a while, the features are amazing (atleast compared to the ones I am used to) but couldnt use it to the fullest because it was too complex for me. Its more advanced but a great software.

What do you dislike?

Definitely not for a newbie in sound production.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Exhaust your other options first.

Music and sound production

User in Music

"Powerful production tool, not for me"

What do you like best?

It's powerful, reliable and has everything you'd expect from a modern sequencer. Looks okay

What do you dislike?

It's not as 'fun' as other DAW's like Ableton or even Logic, also looks a little pedestrian comparatively.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They all do the same thing in slightly different ways these days! lets be honest, its a fine piece of professional software

It can be used in a professional capacity very well and has everything you'd need.

Cubase review by User

"Very traditional way of producing "

What do you like best?

I have used this at the start of my music career to record, input midi and audio. This was really good and the structure is basic, easy to understand and work with.

What do you dislike?

The sounds that are built in sound too generic and too fake at times.

Music making.

Learning about Cubase?

* We monitor all Cubase reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.