Daminion

Multi-user Digital Asset Management software aimed at all industries that need to organize and quickly search for photos, documents and other file formats stored on a local network. Designed for Windows, but can be launched on Macs via special applications.

Work for Daminion?

Learning about Daminion?

Daminion Reviews

Ask Daminion a Question
Showing 131 Daminion reviews
Daminion review by <span>Rick N.</span>
Rick N.

"The best DAM software for my needs."

What do you like best?

I need a software capable of:

1. writing metadata to images as to sidecars xml files

6. applying pre-defined copyright text to images

7. applying star-ratings to images compatible with NEF files

8. allowing images to be found by searching on using multiple tags

9. I need a user-friendly DAM

What do you dislike?

The thing that i most dislike is the way "~Thumbs folder" is organized. All the thumbnail are grouped under folsders and subfolders. It is very slow to backup with all those subfolders. I think that a SQL databese for these thumbnails would be faster to back up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I tested many other softwares (ACDSee Pro, Daminion, DigiKam, Photo Supreme, iMatch and Phase One Media) over a period of almost one year. I compared each software with my needs which are listed in the previous section. Daminion responded to all of them. Then I tested Daminion thoroughly. After using it for two months, I decided to replace Microsoft Expression Media. I think Daminion is an excellent choice for those who need a DAM this is robust. Also Daminion offer a very good support

I use it to manage all the screeenshots I need to document problems I resolved on my customers PC's.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Daminion
Daminion review by <span>Angel J.</span>
Angel J.

"very good but hard"

What do you like best?

has a quick tool for the search of digital assets of different companies besides this is very useful because the software works quickly and pertime that the platform gets everything we are looking for

What do you dislike?

In spite of being a quick and easily accessible tool, it is difficult to learn to use, it should be or have an initiation phase since at the beginning it is very difficult for someone new to start using this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They should improve as I said before their program so that new people can use it at the beginning in an easy way and they can access all their tools and thus they will be able to expand their sales to all types of public and not to a specific type of public, if You can do this I'm sure your sales will increase.

allows easy access to digital assets of entrepreneurs or companies thanks to its software, this helps potential customers find the product they are looking for

What Digital Asset Management solution do you use?

Daminion review by <span>Lou Ann H.</span>
Lou Ann H.

"a workhorse in managing keywords or tags and sorting using several variables"

What do you like best?

1,Daminion allows us customize tags completely. 2. We can search by using and , or and a combination of exclusion and inclusion, love that! 3. Work pretty well with large databases. Finally the metadatt stays with the files, so we can work on the catalog on one computer and transfer the files to another computer. We are out in the "wild west', ie Nebraska and oftern our clients do not have internet and we must carry a laptop with the stand alone catalog. Therefore it is essential that the files and the catalog transfer easily

What do you dislike?

The difference in language has caused some issues for sure. We are talking one thing and we believe that often they are hearing something else through their translation program. The program does lose files every once in while. That is for no reason you will have a "broken chain' note which means it can't find the file. For that reason we do backups ALL the time, Losing data is a very real possibility with Dominion. And there are few commands that should not be on the program. Commands like Optimize just literally destroys the catalog. Again another reason to do backups!!!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Daminion should consider helping us stand alone folks a bit more. We are willing to pay for our stand alone program, but we don't need the network program which seems to take most of their time. RIght now the stand alone is free and we feel a bit like red headed step children. Maybe have 3 choices. Free standalone, a lower cost standalone and then the monster network for the companies on the net.

We design and manufacture cemetery memorials. We don't do just standard items. The client is treated to a huge array of shapes, designs and colors. This program carries all our photos and we can pull up the pictures to satisfy every possible question. This program on a little laptop has taken the place of 100 hardbound sales catalogs .

Daminion review by <span>David A. H.</span>
David A. H.

"Daminion is a timesaver for tagging that gives you hope!"

What do you like best?

Other photo organizing programs make you sit through some serious lag time when you tag one or more photos. Daminion doesn't. The stars pretty much pop right up! Creating tags is easy, and they can be copied from catalog to catalog. There's some autofilling with tags that also speeds things up. Take heart, have hope: with Daminion, you will probably be able to tame your photo folders!

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I can't assign star ratings simply by tapping a number key, without holding down the Ctrl key: It's too far to stretch my fingers!!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Note that I'm writing this review, truthfully, in response to a prompt saying this will lift the 15,000 pictures/catalog limitation.

I'm in the business of pleasing my friends. (Does that make me a politician?) I take too many photos, and Daminion helps me distill out a few highlights to send or show. Or post to fb. :-)

Daminion review by <span>Peter R.</span>
Peter R.

"Daminion for landscape design companies"

What do you like best?

Easiness of importing photos and assigning tags, great tag controlling features and reverse GPS locating features. Tremendous online and e-mail ! support! ! ! Never've seen something like that. When aksing something you get an answer by e-mail immediately - and it is always helpful and a solution to the point you asked.

What do you dislike?

Sorry, Daminion is great as it is.

Not really neccessary - but if anything, some basic picture improvement features would be nice. Maybe some minor improvements of user interface design (for example exporting pictures and assigning tags ist hidden in "transform"-pulldown in the export-dialogue - would have 'never' found that without help)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best support ever and and very friendly too (!) - improvements are considered for coming update if your question leads to the point that the software maybe needs some minor improvements in a specific detail. Very very intuitive to use, nice interface. Wonderful GPS tool for pictures and all documents which daminon is able to import. Full featured test-version (limitation to 15.000! documents), nice blog-site.

Gathering and tagging photos and connected digital documents (pdf...) Daminion is very intuitive and easy to use. The interface of the software is great and meets features we were looking for. We have just tested the software for several weeks and will buy it.

Daminion review by <span>Angel J.</span>
Angel J.

"good and easy"

What do you like best?

excellent platform for creative users who are looking for a database for their photographs or looking for something new, it has very good elements and tools that make this something incredible and simple

What do you dislike?

It is somewhat complex and difficult to understand the operation of your platform the first time you use it, but still remains a good ally for users who start in this area either for work or just for fun

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a platform with a large database, this is your best option, very easy to use, simple and easily accessible for all users.

Its large database was very helpful to complement my projects with other programs and thus offer my clients quality and very good jobs that meet the expectations and achieve the objectives

Daminion review by <span>Francis T.</span>
Francis T.

"very good"

What do you like best?

excellent product that works in my point of view as the only real tool for cataloging digital media, I find it very easy to use, very fast and flexible

What do you dislike?

does not have the ability to edit photos, however it is a great piece of software, you can locate several photos quickly and effectively

Recommendations to others considering the product

that dare to use it, it is very simple and complete to do the work, I really like the philosophy and simplicity of Daminion without unnecessary particularities, I think that one day it will be a standard

is a management tool for digital image assets, without a doubt a good program that facilitates the work of us graphic designers, will give much to talk about in the future because it is an excellent software

Daminion review by <span>Satya C.</span>
Satya C.

"Best DAM without a doubt"

What do you like best?

- As a graphic designer, I own and use a lot of digital assets (> 100000). I store everything in an external hard disk. The best feature that is very helpful for me is that the thumbnails are available even if the external hard disk is offline. It helps if I need to check/refer something quickly while traveling without the HD.

- Nested category is top notch. I don't have to rely on folders anymore.

- No monthly subscriptions

- Filter / Search / tag function is awesome.

- Speed of import - First time I set it up, I had to import a lot of images, it worked flawlessly. It didn't hang my computer like some other DAMs that I tried before.

- Did I say there is no monthly subscription :-)

What do you dislike?

Versioning - I tried this function prior to v5 for my Photoshop files, however it didn't work well.

Performance - Sometimes a bit slow to load. This could be because of the size of the catalogs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this product. There is no harm in trying it out - There is a free version available with 15000 image limit which is a lot. Best thing is there is no monthly subscription fee.

As a graphic designer, I own and use a lot of digital assets (> 100000). Daminion helps me keep my repository very neat and clean. It helps me find the images / psd files very quickly thanks to excellent filter and tagging function.

Daminion review by <span>Donna B.</span>
Donna B.

"excellent cataloging software - Daminion 5.0"

What do you like best?

Speed. Importing 100 images (22 megapixel RAW) with previews takes 30 seconds (timed with stopwatch function on phone). I’ve got approximately 100,000 files in a single catalog. Searching to find a specific file is really quick.

I maintain a hierarchical set of keywords. If I bring in an image already keyworded with a word outside of my keyword set, Daminion keeps that keyword in the image and puts it into my keyword list – but both places have that keyword highlighted in purple making it really obvious that there is a mistake I need to correct. The keyword can either be deleted or accepted and moved to a new spot in the hierarchy.

Keywords can be grouped to keep everything in a clean, neat order. The group names are just for convenience and not part of the hierarchy that is exported with your images.

It understands synonyms, several of the software packages I tried out when switching from Lightroom didn’t.

Star ratings include half stars; for a total of 11 rating possibilities from 0 to 5. While I’m not currently using this option, it might be useful for you. Color tags can be renamed, so you don’t need to remember that purple, for example, means you already posted that image to a web gallery or sent it to a stock agency.

It can actually find duplicates by comparing pixels instead of just by file name. While I am careful with photos from my camera, I often find myself with multiple copies of phone photos. This really makes for a faster cleanup. It is just close, however, so that very similar images can show as duplicates. But Daminion doesn’t actually delete them, just finds them and puts them adjacent to each other. I can change the information displayed to show file name and folder location and can easily and quickly see which photographs should be deleted.

Another reviewer complained that when displaying file folder names above the thumbnails only the actual folder was shown, not the entire path. However, it is much easier for me to have only the actual folder, not the path. I use a folder hierarchy that makes sense without the entire path and I appreciate Daminion’s cleaner look.

Items can be linked, so a raw image that has been exported as a small jpg for the web can be linked to the original file, making it easy to keep track of different variations of the same image.

Radio buttons next to folders, keywords, collections, etc. all let you easily filter items with a couple of clicks rather than typing out search words. Control-click on more than 1 radio button will show items in, for example, 2 or more keywords. A click on a keyword will show all images with that keyword AND in the hierarchy below it. Shift-click, Alt-click and Alt-Shift-click will all show varying combinations of including or eliminating items containing various keywords. This is really useful for quickly seeing which items need additional keywords or need to be moved to a different folder.

A search box in the top bar allows for rapid search on any metadata; you can type in “and” or “or.” There is also an Advanced Search box which permits more complex searches which can be saved.

Daminion has help pages on their website and a few videos on YouTube. Although some of the YouTube videos are for an earlier version, they are still exceedingly helpful. They also have Live Chat available with someone available for chat in a couple of different time blocks so that it will be available during the day regardless of your location. If you leave a message, you can expect a quick reply.

Daminion can import a large number of file types in addition to images. A feature I’m not using is the ability to add unsupported file formats to the catalog. They can’t be previewed, but there is the ability to create your own thumbnail graphic to be shown with that file type. This could be useful if you are using Daminion to track a variety of resources for a project.

What do you dislike?

IPTC fields for Contact Information Details (address, email, phone, URL, etc.) aren’t available in Daminion. While this isn’t really necessary in my catalog for my own use, I need that embedded into files that I export and send to someone else or put online.

Information is displayed both above and below the thumbnails; there are lots of options for which information is shown. Since it is helpful to have different information shown depending on what I’m doing, it would be nice if it could be saved so I could switch back and forth with a single click. But as is, it is still easy to switch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. There is a free version with a 15,000 image limit with the ability to purchase a license for a standalone version with no file limit.

I started with a 7-day trial of the server version for a single user. The server version is faster (taking their word for it, I didn’t try the standalone). Once I got over the unusual idea of running a server version (I’m a free-lance photographer working on a single computer), it was simple to use. It doesn’t feel any different than other software on my computer.

No monthly subscription fees. I wish I had switched to Daminion sooner.

Faster everything. I can spend less time working on my catalog. Although I had been assigning keywords with Lightroom using the exact same hierarchy, my speed assigning them is noticeably faster using Daminion on the same computer (so no differences in CPU speed, RAM, etc.). It’s also helped me find a few duplicated images that I had missed on a manual search – cleaning up hard drive space and just making things more organized.

Daminion review by <span>Simon M.</span>
Simon M.

"Daminion - a very good DAM solution"

What do you like best?

- Daminion offers many ways to organize your data (tags, rating, location, ...)

- It has a great User Interface and is easy to use.

- The search function is very good.

- It works fast even with lots of photos and a large database.

- Good support and a forum

What do you dislike?

- The 15.000 pictures limit in the "free" version is way too low.

- It seems that Daminion is now more focusing on the Server/Web version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have tested many other DAM software products over the years and Daminion was the one I liked most.

I use Daminion to organize my photo and video collection. Daminion helps me a lot to find photo/video files.

Daminion review by <span>Sergey K.</span>
Sergey K.

"Surely the best program to handle photo collections."

What do you like best?

Daminion offers just a crazy number of functions and at the same time its interface is very convenient and intuitive. You can add keywords (with a hierarchy), categories, events, evaluations; classify photos by color labels, flags, etc. You can group photos, bind one to another and, of course, perform any "mass operations". Daminion has an incredibly flexible filtration and search system: you can not only include several keywords (or categories, or color categories, just anything!) in the output, but also exclude them, plus you can save search queries and apply them as required. Moreover, you can add parameters from EXIF to filters and filter by them, which is very handy!

Daminion supports all possible kinds of tags (and works with them very carefully!) and file formats.

Daminion offers very clear and customizable interface alongside just a vast functionality. It is very important for me that almost every action can be performed using hotkeys, it speeds things up greatly.

I just can't imagine, what can be cooler than Daminion!

What do you dislike?

Daminion is almost perfect, but for me it lacks a couple of features:

- Search by faces. I'm planning to use Daminion to further organize collections of my private photos and such function would be extremely useful in this case.

- In my opinion, Daminion searches for duplicate photos not good enough; in my collection there are many identical photos of different quality, it would be great if Daminion could identify them and propose to save in the collection only those that have higher resolution. Now Daminion finds duplicates not perfectly.

- Some functions in Daminion are not obvious. For instance, it took me a long time to understand how I can physically delete a photo from a medium or collection. Now I know that I can press "Delete from collection", and in the appeared dialog check "Delete from disc". I was looking for a function of physical deletion of photos from a disc for a long time and even used such method: moved a photo to a certain folder, and than deleted files from that folder using Windows.

- I'd like to have an entirely full-screen preview feature, when only a picture is displayed and nothing else (no name, no scale, no any panel)

- I've got some comments to the interface: in the thumbnail view, I think, the space could be used a bit more efficiently: more saving fonts and line arrangement, thinner thumbnail borders, arrangement of thumbnail icons could be more thought-out, there is too much unused space, I think.

- Daminion provides a great function to group photos, but in my view it could be even more convenient if one could easily arrange groups of photos in the sorting, for instance, groups in the beginning, and not sorted photos after them.

I use Daminion only for my personal advantage. I've got a rather big collection of regional historical photos of my native city from 1860s to 1990s. It is rather difficult to navigate in 5000 photos without being capable to add descriptions to them. Daminion solves this issue for me. In Daminion I mark every important aspect of these or that photo: street, peculiar building, various elements of the city environment, events reflected in the photo, approximate shooting date, author, source of the photo - I put all this information in tags and it allows me to filter photos in an incredibly flexible and easy manner. For example, I can observe evolution (and sometimes degradation) of benches in a city park, or trace how the face of this or that building was changing over time, or see how city fests were held on this or that square in different epochs. A very flexible and easy-to-use photo tagging and filtration system has converted my collection in a true photo encyclopedia of my city!

Daminion review by <span>Andrew C.</span>
Andrew C.

"Daminion stand-alone works well for me"

What do you like best?

Daminon allows me to find the photos I'm looking for quickly and with relative ease. As I import, it allows me to specify metadata that is true of all the photos & after importing adding the extra information for each picture is straightforward with their properties interface. I like the workflow & truly appreciate being able to click a few boxes to narrow down photos to the ones I'm trying to find.

I also like that that it can (but doesn't have to) automatically synchronize catalog metadata into the file's metadata. I appreciate knowing that most of m

What do you dislike?

There is no cross-catalog searching. I use a version of Daminon which limits the number of photos in a catalog (a limit which could be removed by upgrading). So, I have to organize my catalogs with care.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The stand-alone version works well and seems stable. I don't know how well it works for it's primary use case: small teams. I've not needed to use it in a server environment.

I have not yet used this for business purposes. It is possible that this will become the repository for photos for church events. If that happens, the ability to search by event, date, person, and any other keyword will be invaluable for gathering photos needed for scrolling slideshows @ church celebration and funerals. It would, at that time, also be a great resource for extra photos in the church directory and promotional flyers.

Daminion review by <span>Justin C.</span>
Justin C.

"Outstanding, Customizable DAM"

What do you like best?

Daminion is easy to use and offers plenty of customization options, far beyond most other commercial DAM solutions. Excellent performance, even with large databases, and powerful search features. Unbelievably powerful for a free tool -- professionally designed an stable, fast, with a range of features. Highly recommended, and thanks to the free option, there's no reason not to try it.

The interface is robust once you get used to it, and then it's easy to tag and manage media however you like. Thanks to the custom-tag features, you're free to create a metadata scheme that suits your needs.

It's also fast -- even with several hundred files, the search and overall performance are speedy and responsive.

What do you dislike?

Interface takes getting used to, for those familiar with Adobe products; needs more comprehensive documentation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a very powerful free version. If you're not sure, give it a try! At worst you won't like it, and at best you'll find something you use constantly.

Sort/manage constantly changing and growing media library, including images, video, and animations. I wanted granular control over metadata and organization, which Daminion allows. Its speed and tabbed browsing make it easy to use, and it integrates well with image editors.

Daminion review by <span>Daniela D.</span>
Daniela D.

"Daminon !"

What do you like best?

Daminon enables me to discover the photographs I'm searching, and I can do it rapidly and without any difficulty. It enables me to indicate metadata that is valid for all the photographs and is including the additional data for each. I like the work process and the capacity to click a couple of boxes to limit photographs to the ones I want to discover.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like the file export function and when I want to do a search for an image I saw that there is no list available for my results so I need to arrange my lists in mind.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do think about changing to Daminion for computerized picture administration. Has all the important highlights when contrasted with business programs.

I used Daminion for my own utilization and business use, as a picture list utility. When I utilize the suitable classes to label my pictures with, I am ready to pinpoint any picture very quick. The component of looking through the pictures with characteristics, for example, determination, photograph adapt, introduction is a great feature.

Daminion review by <span>Dennis J.</span>
Dennis J.

"Great tool for Digital Asset Management"

What do you like best?

Being a commercial photographer I have an enormous database of images that have to be cataloged and easily tracked down when they are needed. I started using Extensis Portfolio for this purpose in the '90's. I always bought the upgraded versions and felt it got the job done... that is until I tried Daminion. Loading images into Daminion is much quicker, the previews can be displayed in different type layouts and the size of the enlarged previews, absolutely blows away anything Extensis Portfolio was capable of. I also compared Daminion to other DAM offerings and found migrating to it was easier and offers many advantages (ie. no monthly/annual fees, support has been super responsive with all questions and quite frankly, easier to start using).

What do you dislike?

It seems most of their video tutorials are based off of the server version, while my needs found a better balance with opting for the stand-alone version. Many features in the software can be figured out with a little playing around and patience, but some video tutorials would be beneficial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I compared this to a total of 4-other products on the market and found the software, support and ease of adaptation better than anything else out there.

Through the use of keywords, I can quickly locate images from any time period simply by searching using a customer name, job number, date or subject matter. This allows me to track down and verify it's what I need by viewing a large detailed preview and then seeing where the image has been archived.

Daminion review by <span>Matthieu T.</span>
Matthieu T.

"Fast and full featured digital asset management"

What do you like best?

As an enthusiast wildlife and nature photographer, i prefer taking pictures than computing and sorting them.

I was a long time user of Microsoft Expression Media 2, but the product was discontinued and became the somewhat pricy Media Pro. Recently i spent a long time testing many digital asset management software and to be honest I went on using Expression Media 2, until i discovered Daminion: a straight to the point and fully customisable user interface for a fast and full featured digit asset management solution, exactly what i had been desperately looking for. So far it has to deal with about 150k pictures and still works like a charm.

What do you dislike?

It only runs on Windows, so it has to be run through virtualization on Linux and Mac OS. Importing pictures may be a little bit faster, but Daminion is obviously computer resources respectful: CPU is well spread among all available cores and threads, RAM consumption is pretty well controlled and disks (pictures hosting / catalog hosting) are not put down on their knees.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test, compare and enjoy: Daminion offers at least as much as any other for great performance and reasonnable price.

On this test machine:

- i7-4770 8 threads CPU

- 32GB RAM

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

- Crucial M550 256GB SSD for catalogs

- Toshiba 3TB SATA3 7200 tr/min for pictures hosting

- Windows 10 x64 insiders build 14986 (december 2016)

importing pictures (so far the most resources consumming processing) consumes up to:

- 12% CPU

- 70MB RAM

- no noticeable disk activity

Managing hundred thousands pictures can really be a pain and be learned the hard way. Daminon really helps me focus on my activity and get the most out of my time.

Daminion review by <span>Frank G.</span>
Frank G.

"Feature-packed tool for my digital images"

What do you like best?

Daminion gives me a fine nuanced possibiity to build a digital Archive for my DSLM-Images. Tag-trees can be arranged and created just to my needs. GPS-tagging ist made easy by the integrated Google-Map. With the fine Details of filtering and the usage of flags it's only up to me to get the correct structure even with thousands of files.

What do you dislike?

Up to this Moment, I don't have any concerns. Very few times the Software crashes (but that could be a Problem with my aged PC).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and give Daminion an Chance - it grows with the daily use. At the Moment I use it in combination with the Lightroom DAM and I experience that both fit my Needs perfectly. Even with the restriction on 15k files (photographs in my case) it is easy to use, has a bunch of Features which I don't use totally, but it helps a lot to remain a System of order and overview. The ability to customize either the Panels and the workflow makes it a breeze to use. I spotted a Little slowdown when heading to the Limit of 15k files (in the free licence), but with an midrange PC System it is not frustrating at all. But there is a room for future improvement certainly. And if there is a question that rises up, the customer Support is amazing.

Filing, sorting and tagging my private and business-DSLM-Files.

Daminion review by <span>David F.</span>
David F.

"Daminion's catalogue program is perfect"

What do you like best?

As a small one man photo business with nearly 50 years worth of photographs Daminion is the best cataloguing programme I have ever used. And I've tried them all from iView Media Pro, ACDSee, Lightroom, PhoTools, Phase One and Media Pro. Not one is able to match the simplicity and speed of Daminion Pro.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if there was a method of autocompleting words in captions similar to the system used in PhotoMechanic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The volume of pictures that it will handle and its ease of use. Also its ability to handle non-picture files such as PDFs and other document files.

Managing a colossal image collection that goes back to the early seventies.

Daminion review by <span>Milind J.</span>
Milind J.

"Thoroughly satisfied!"

What do you like best?

The best feature I feel is the nested category management. I have used many free photo catalog management programs, but nothing to beat the convenience of Daminion. Earlier I was using directories to store various categories. Cumbersome at best and problematic because of redundant image copies. I use Gimp for my image post processing and am able to export my raw images to Gimp from Daminion. Very convenient workflow.

Another great feature is the thumbnail view, which does not need my external drive with my image files, connected. Great way to show someone the preview of the images.

What do you dislike?

The file export mechanism can be little better. It takes a while for a new user to understand the way it works. It took me few trials to export the images in different jpg resolutions as well as tiff files.

Additionally, the process to search the images with boolean logic (and, or, not ) though powerful is not very intuitive. It will help the users if the documentation is improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do consider switching to Daminion for digital image management. Has all the necessary features as compared to commercial programs costing $$$!

I use it for my personal use as a image catalog utility. Once I use the appropriate categories to tag my images with, I am able to pinpoint any image quite fast. The feature of searching the images with attributes such as resolution, photo gear, orientation is also very useful.

Daminion review by <span>Антон .</span>
Антон .

"Лучший каталогизатор изображений."

What do you like best?

Что нравиться в программе daminion так это её уникальная способность создавать и работать с иерархическими тегами (быстро, удобно...). А так же неоспоримым плюсом программы является то, что она может записывать теги внутрь EXIF, а не только в свою базу. Ещё один плюс программы который очень помогает в работе с базой при переходе с одного компьютера на другой - относительные пути к изображениям в каталоге. На мой взгляд очень удобно реализована логика И, ИЛИ, НЕТ. Очень нравиться, то что разработчики не пошли по пути некоторых фирм производителей просмоторщиков / каталогизаторов изображений и сделали строгий интерфейс программы.

What do you dislike?

Что не нравиться в программе та это не быстрый импорт изображений и медленная запись тегов в exif файла. Хотя с этим можно мериться (делается разово и можно делать в фоновом режиме). Вот что реально пока не устраивает (надеюсь исправиться в ближайших версиях) так это отсутствие возможности подсветки на изображении области с тегом человека (как в picasa), а ещё лучше если бы сразу внутри daminion было бы распознание лиц. Так же хотелось бы чтоб программа быстрее отображала картинки (хотя это не критично - есть возможность использовать для просмотра другие программы). Хотелось бы чтобы была возможность сохранять отдельным файлом и загружать историю запросов и сделать её так же иерархической. Хотелось бы расширить возможность работы с цветовыми метками (возможность менять цвет новых цветовых меток). Было бы не плохо если была возможность внутри программы искать похожие (именно похожие, а не одинаковые) файлы (изображения, документы).

Recommendations to others considering the product

На данный момент это лучший каталогизатор.

Программе практически нет конкурентов (в её простоте, удобстве и быстроте работы).

Daminion review by <span>Peeter T.</span>
Peeter T.

"The best media management solution I have found"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of adding files and migrating from one place to the next. It doesn't mess with your file structure, but can still write meta into your originals.

Tagging with categories and people which is a must if you are in charge of an archive consisting of art works and historical photos. This also means that with one click I can find works by an artist, photos taken of him or at the openings of his exhibitions and also works by other artists depicting him. And if there are too many items, I can switch out categories or do a very specific search.

Exporting files with ease and in an appropriate format. Also contact sheet and CSV export.

What do you dislike?

The speed of the full screen view of large files (over 100mb tif-s) could be improved.

Other than that: Over the years that I have been using the product at our museum all the requests for additional functionality or bug reports have been answered and implemented with amazing speed!

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ease of use of Daminion compared to many of similar and older products is considerable. It manages to avoid much of the convoluted logic present in the top of the line products while offering considerably more options than the lower priced or free options.

I am representing an art institution that has been using Daminion to organize its collection of art works and photographic archives. Since this all happens in the same program, the collections themselves and the people they represent can be viewed from new angles and new connections can be made.

Daminion review by <span>Loriilona H.</span>
Loriilona H.

"Daminion"

What do you like best?

1. clarity of functions, easy to get the hang of it, because every function is implemented in a clear straight forward way. The instructions are clear, so you know what you are doing from the start.

2. You can have as many catalogues as you want, you can move or copy images between open catalogues, which is one of the many nice features I enjoy.

3. I also keep a catalog for my books and musical items, Ireally I use it for everything.

3. I also like it that you can get the free version with a generous 15000 images per catalog.

4. Please try Daminion for yourself to discover the many brilliant features which makes it equally suitable for an amateur photographer and for professionals who look for a set of professional media managing tool.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Since I am asked: maybe a different (dark) interface style to switch to would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With the generous allowance of 15000 images/items per catalog you could give it a try and really test all the features! --You won't look back!

Daminion gives me a chance to get a structure into my various media collections, and it does that in a most efficient way (without being a complicated piece of software, but a nice one). Am very pleased with it, have already recommended it to friends and family.

Daminion review by <span>Aaron R.</span>
Aaron R.

"Daminion Delivers"

What do you like best?

One of the highlights for me of using Daminion has been the tagging and indexed searching, I have thoroughly enjoyed marking my imported photos with multiple categorical tags while naming them using custom naming patterns - after which I have the ability to toggle or filter the tags or multiple tags as well as search on any part of the name or the file's metadata. Another highlight has been the support - I have followed the development of Daminion since its 1.0 version and have provided feedback with glitches, enhancement requests, or just plain asked how to do something: They have always replied and tried their best to provide a solution to my request whether fixing something right away and offering a newly compiled version to test or remoting to my workstation in order to experience the reported error. Truly a top notch approach to advancing their product and retaining customers (I do hope that never changes)

What do you dislike?

It may not be as easy for a user to figure out how to do something complex within Daminion like rename and move a set of files while retaining a partial part of the existing file name convention or uniqueness in the names - things like that. Also, I actually use this for personal use and my family is 7 of us but there is no Home license for more than 2 users nor does it have the ability to access restrict by user roles (ie. provide my children unique access while keeping them from being able to delete important photos). It is a more advanced area I'd like to move into but the opportunity is not provided (and I certainly cannot afford the team version for my family)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, I did and I have liked it.

For personal use, I used to just have photos in cascading folders named in a way I could somewhat go search for something if I remember when it took place and what the name I gave the collection - It could take some time to find anything at all. Now I can always find what I want when I want it within Daminion.

Daminion review by <span>Анна .</span>
Анна .

"Perfect!"

What do you like best?

I was trying to find tool to organaize my documents for so long and tried so many of them. Daminion is really the best! Because it have:

- Very powerfull software.

- Very friendly interface,

- Abbility to add a lot of types of documents.

- Abbility to edit metadata an creat my own tags.

- it have free version what is still good for personal user (even if it have 15 000 files limit).

- I love idea of server version. But unfortunatelly my company do not use this software right now. I hope this will change soon.

What do you dislike?

Price.

All documents and tutorials that i could find are only in english.

we have a lot of documents (video, doc files, pdf files) on my PC and i found that daminion is very good to organize all of them.

Daminion review by <span>David F.</span>
David F.

"Excellent Tool for Managing Photos"

What do you like best?

It provides a complete photo management application including video. All tags are available and visible when browsing images. It also provides a very flexible editing of tags. The configuration of the application is very comprehensive. I started using this software because of its ability to version images, but so far I've not used this much

What do you dislike?

I have to manually have it find new photos. I would like to tell it to watch folders for new photos. It would be nice if it could import Picasa's simple versioning capability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a image management solution to organize your media assets, this is a good choice.

I'm using it for personal image management and not for any business

Daminion review by <span>Germ W.</span>
Germ W.

"Daminion 4.5"

What do you like best?

As a former software developer I appreciate the sound database design of Daminion 4.5.

For instance: it not only shows you the keyworded images, but also -without an queriing- shows the images that are not keyworded yet.

It accepts all media formats that I throw at it and it helps me to organize and find back my images.

Daminion 4.5 has a clear, straight-formward interface that more or less explains itself.

What do you dislike?

I use Capture One and DXO as my raw converters. It would be great if adjustments in these packages would be reflected in Daminion (to some degree that is; it is impossible to regenerate the whole workflowand all of the adjustments made in these packages, but crops etc should be achievable).

In 4.5 I used the beta versions. At the time they had some stability issues, that were eliminated in the final release.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Daminion is a full featured DAM that can organize your images.

Up to 15000 images the stand-alone version is free.

The recent release of version 4.5 shows the active development of this software.

I have a database of 26k images. The problem ius finding back your images in such a massive amount. I photograph as a volunteer at the zoo in Amersfoort, Netherlands. Sometimes communication staff from the zoo are looking for certain images, and they mail me to find them. I can pull these image with little effort thanks to the structured keywording and other annotations that I use in daminion.

Daminion review by <span>Wilfried B.</span>
Wilfried B.

"Great Software for Digital Asset Mangement"

What do you like best?

I like the version control, i.e. the possibility to check out an image, modify it with other software, check in the new version while the original(s) can still be accessed, if needed. Quite smooth to open an image with an external program with a single keystroke (V = open, E = check out & edit).

What do you dislike?

Importing new images takes quite a long time compared to the product, I used previously.

Searching for and sub setting of pictures based on multiple criteria could be improved (again comparing to another product, I used before).

While the catalog files (.dmc) are quite small, the ~thumbs folder needs a huge storage capacity and contains a big number of sub folders and files.

Only the lowest level folder appears in Details View Mode: My images are stored in an hierarchical folder structure d:\My Photos\yyyy\mm\dd . Seeing only “06” in the folder column is not really helpful.

Only the location appears in the Place field Details View Mode: Similar to the folder field, only the lowest level of the place hierarchy shows up.

While the lens can be tag used search for images, some of my lenses show as "----" or "unknown". Unfortunately, that tag cannot be changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My "business" is amateur photography by a retired IT specialist. While others spend hours to improve a single picture using digital graphic software, I prefer to make many photos and want to be able retrieve those easily in the future.

Daminion review by <span>Kerry T.</span>
Kerry T.

"Daminion DAM Software"

What do you like best?

The extensive features and the ability to customise how the program is configured to suit your needs. The program is well thought out and logical. There is excellent support and a very active forum. The tags and metadata is portable, i.e. can be viewed in other programs. The search functions very powerful. Excellent value for the money. What I also like is that this product is young and is continuing to be developed with new features appearing regularly. Specific features I like is the ability to copy tags from one image and paste them to another group of images. The ability to drag photos onto the map to log the GPS co-ordinates.

What do you dislike?

I would rather the font size used for the menus and selections etc. was smaller.

Better tutorials and help documentation

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the documentation thoroughly and understand the features.

Read the posts on the forum.

Take into account that the Daminion team are very committed

Plan your implementation well before starting.

It is used for private use.

Daminion review by <span>Ingo H.</span>
Ingo H.

"Ausgeprägte Suchfunktionen nach ausführlicher Indexierung"

What do you like best?

Sehr gute Indexierungsmöglichkeiten nach entsprechender Einarbeitung.

Ausführliche Grundeingaben sind später sehr hilfreich.

Daminion hat eine sehr mächtige Suchfunktion, für die allerdings das Verständnis der Boolschen Algebra sinnvoll ist.

Insgesamt ein mächtiges Werkzeug, wenn man bereit ist, sich in die Gegebenheiten der Software einzuarbeiten.

What do you dislike?

Das Kartenfenster ist nicht optimal gelöst. Lokalisierung der Bilder teilweise schwierig. Automatische und manuelle Platzierungen vertragen sich nicht. Einfacher Wechsel zwischen Kartenfenster und Bildsammlung nur mit Maus möglich. Großes Fenster verdeckt die Bildsammlung.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ich kann nur jedem empfehlen, sich Daminion anzuschauen und auszuprobieren.

Allerdings ist der volle Umfang erst nach einiger Einarbeitung ersichtlich.

Einfache Indexierungen führen aber auch schon am Anfang zu guten Erfolgen.

Für den privaten Gebrauch kostenlos, daher ein sehr gutes Preis-Leistungsverhältnis

Dozent in EDV-Ausbildung

Daminion review by <span>M. B.</span>
M. B.

"Very intelligent tool"

What do you like best?

Multiple ways of tagging and filtering make it easy to keep the overall view to all my photos. Adobe Lightroom compatibility is essential for me.

The referencing with Geo-coordinates and the integrated map-view help to place the tool as my allround-solution.

Easy import and export of all important file formats and raw file format support plus integration with external picture editing solutions are state of the art.

After all I decided to use Daminion as my main managing tool for photo database.

What do you dislike?

Compatibility between Adobe Lightroom tags and Daminion tags in the xmp-files could be a little bit better. Especially color marking of photos should be synchronised for different languages (e.g. green = grün, etc.).

Recommendations to others considering the product

First try out all the fesatures. It is very easy with the free edition.

I'm holding a midsize photo database and wanted to manage the tagging in a comfortable way. Daminion seems to be the tool for that task.

Daminion review by <span>Eberhart N.</span>
Eberhart N.

"Great Software : Daminion 4.1 (1278)"

What do you like best?

I was searching for a good and efficient, feature rich software to organize me 23.000 Fotos. In an CT Article I found an comparation of different Foto Archive SW and Daminion shoulds perfect to me. So I have tested it the last 2 month an was very impressed from the feature rich implementation, but still keep it simple to start quickly.

I started with an trial of an Stand Alone Version 4.1 (release some number below 1278) and faced some problems with the stability when upload images while eg. batch change tags or rotation. This was significate improved with the upgrade to 4.1 (release 1278). The Error handling seems improved and crashes where much seldom.

oveall I have to say that the performance of Daminion 4.1 is quit good, images are rotated fast, tags quickly assigned.

I love very much the richful filter options (automatic and with tags) and absolut love the drag-drop geotagging of my images.

when I reached the 10.000 in the import, as expected the free versions restrict me with asking every 10 new images to continues.

So I bought a new license for 25K, which cause some issue after already 13K images.

When contacting the support via chat, the help was amacing. The developer Murat explained me all and even more tricks and helped be immediately to get my system running without issue.

I am very happy with Daminion and don´t want to miss it again.

Thanks the deveopment to provide such good and economic product.

What do you dislike?

stability problems at the beginning, sometimes it crash at higher load also at 4.1 (1278)

For me, the rescan feature is not working, its pending for long time in the same number to update.

but thid is maybe an misinterpretation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its a must !

please test it, it will offer you all you mostly need

I was able to get an efficient overlook over my foto collection (2004 - 2016) with more then 23K images

Daminion review by <span>David A.</span>
David A.

"Unfortunately, not enough for a really huge collection of distributed media."

What do you like best?

The version I tested and I focused on was the Server/Client, as I want a distributed media catalog. The client (once everything configured) is really powerful and polished product. I must admit that the applicaiton itself is a pleasure to use.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, the server version is a nightmare. Suposedly you are allowed to upload and download photos and share the catalog alog several computers, but it didn't work at the end. The server requires:

a) To use a shared folder that should be accessible directly by the clients, where the media is stored.

b) A postgresql database that is installed for you.

There are no clear instructions into how to circumvent these limitations. I would like the application to upload/download the media seamlesslyu without requiring direct access to the media from the computer you are accesing the network catalog.

Finally, I wanted to store the PostgreSQL into my own server, instead of the preinstalled version (as I have a home cluster of computers/servers) and it was almost impossible to make it to work. I finally did but the effort didn't paid off: the software is badly optmimised and it is really slow to work with it in this setup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check what are your requirements before testing it.

If you want an easy to use client, it is a good point. If you want it distributed but using the default Windows centric setup, go ahead.

If you want to mix you current systems (shared media folders, databases, other servers) with the current Client/Sever version, then it is really hard and you'll go through a really rough experience.

Media catalog, shared with support to go offline and work "on-the-go" seamlessly. Unfortunately, Daminion didn't provide this.

I must admit that Daminion is one of a kind: most other applications allow you to work locally or through web. This breaks things, as web versions of most other software are a pain to use.

Daminion review by User in Judiciary
User in Judiciary

"Highly recommended!"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to rate and then filter my photos. Once you come up with a system that works for you, it make finding photos and tracking your workflow very easy. For instance, when I cull my photos after a photo shoot, I rate the photos that I want to give a closer look with 3 starts. Once I decide a photo should be edited, I give it 4 stars. I can easily and quickly show only the photos that earned 4 stars. Once the editing is complete, I give it 5 stars. This makes it extremely easy to find my final edits Culling is simple because you can view photos as a thumbnail, but can enlarge any photo to full screen just by double-clicking on it. All exif data is displayed whether in thumbnail view or full screen view.

What do you dislike?

Rescanning my folders can take a few minutes, but that's to be expected. Overall, Daminion works exactly like I need it to work.

This software saves me a great deal of time when it comes to culling photos prior to editing. I use it to organize all of my photos and launch my editor directly from Daminion. Daminion serves as my primary software for managing my workflow. While culling my photos, I rate those that I want to edit and, when I'm ready, I can launch my editor directly from Daminion.

Daminion review by <span>Michael E.</span>
Michael E.

"An Elegant Solution to Media Management"

What do you like best?

I like how intuitive the software is. Your catalogues can be as simple or complex as you need them to be. Over the last year since I started using the software, I've found the program to be an irreplaceable part of my arsenal of media management solutions. Their updates over the past year have been wonderful as well seeing as they've improved upon almost all of the features I had issues with before I could ever think to complain about them.

What do you dislike?

EDIT: The below issue below has been resolved with the recent introduction of version 5.0. Thanks, Daminion Team!

They have a tag preset feature that I've started to try to use a lot more lately. However, it has a glaring flaw in the fact that your presets will always be in the order that you made them, and the order cannot be adjusted after the fact. Compared to the rest of the program, which has largely satisfied all of my wants and needs in an efficient manner, this feature has been somewhat of a sore spot in my Daminion experience. Aside from that, I don't have anything else that I particularly dislike.

I should mention that despite this, their team has always seemed attentive when people have pointed out issues in the past. I once made a feature suggestion and got a personal response from someone a day later. So despite what they may lack, you at least know they hear you and they work to make things better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Reach out to their support team and the forums if you have issues. They seem to have a very active customer service team from my one experience making a feature suggestion in the past.

I sort out a fair bit of sketches, reference photos, and concept art for my works. This has been a fantastic way of streamlining the search for the material I've amassed over the years. No longer am I trying to locate the arbitrary folder I put something in. No longer am I having to write out long file names to ensure I can find things in the search function. I just search via the tags I set up and viola, all relevant images are there instantly.

Daminion review by <span>Nabani S.</span>
Nabani S.

"The best affordable DAM software for large collections"

What do you like best?

The product team really listen to their customers. I started using Daminion since its early stages back in 2011. From the beginning, the product team has always been opened to suggestions and feature requests. I think that is one of the best features of the Daminion bussiness approach.

On the other side, the software is just amazing. High quality development makes it affordable to use with large collections without needing big hardware requirements. I've tested it with large media collections (more than 1 million items) on a normal PC and it responds smoothly.

Other thing I like a lot is that it uses a robust DBMS (PostgreSQL). That makes feasible to integrate with other systems/tools without too much trouble if you know a little bit of codig. NOTE: Daminion doesn't recommend directly modifiying the database, but in my case I've found it pretty useful (and I try to be careful to not break anything).

What do you dislike?

It's not really a dislike but a "would be nice" feature. Daminion didn't have an interface usable on mobile phones or tablets. But it seems the new Web Client on Daminion 4.5 will cover that need. I personaly think a native application for mobile operating systems would offer better usability and feature possibilities but I haven't got my hands on the new version so the request is probably already fulfilled.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If using Daminion Server, you could greatly improve server's performance by tunning some PostgreSQL settings.

Back in 2011 I was using other DAM tools for managing metadata for media items. As the collection grew, I started having performance issues to the point the other tools were unsresponsive. One option was to acquire new (bigger) hardware. Instead, I found Daminion was in active development and it as it was a promising and affordable solution. I'm really glad I chose it.

Daminion review by <span>Michael L.</span>
Michael L.

"Fotoverwaltung mit Dami"

What do you like best?

Auf Daminion bin ich gestoßen, als ich eine Datenbank für Bilder suchte. Andere Produkte boten Funktionen zur Bildbearbeitung, die ich ausdrücklich nicht in einer Datenbank haben möchte.

Zur Bildverwaltung ist Daminion ein starkes Werkzeug.

Zu jedem Bild werden die EXIF-Dateien ausgelesen, darüber hinaus lassen sich vielseitige Informationen eingeben, die auch zur Suche genutzt werden können Dazu gehören Kathegorien, Projektangaben, Stichwörter, Ortsangaben, Copyrighthinweise etc. ....

What do you dislike?

Einziges Manko, das ich finde:

Wenn man versehentlich die Arbeitsoberfläche verändert, kann es für den Anfänger mit dem Programm kompliziert werden, diese wieder auf die gewohnte Optik zurück zu stellen.

Mit Daminion verwalte ich meinen gesamten Fotobestand, das sind weit über einige 10.000 Bilder ...

Daminion review by <span>Peggy S.</span>
Peggy S.

"Endlich Ordnung im Bilderchaos"

What do you like best?

Durch die vielfältige Möglichkeit der Zuweisung von Tags, Kategorien, Orten u.v.m. Ist das Wiederfinden von bestimmten Bildern nun ein Leichtes-kein anderes Programm konnte mir das bisher so bieten.

What do you dislike?

Der Preis für die Vollversion ist für einen Privatanwender leider ziemlich teuer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

leichte Bedienung, intuitiv mit grosstmöglichen Nutzen

Da ich privat viel fotografiere kann ich nun endlich richtige Ordnung in meinen Bildern halten und schnell bestimmte Bilder,dank Filterung, wiederfinden.

Daminion review by <span>Carl Henrik E.</span>
Carl Henrik E.

"Great software for keeping track of your scanned documents and photos"

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

There is very little to dislike. Importing new images takes quite a long time and the speed of the full screen view of large files (over 100mb tif-s) could be improved. I have started to use and external viewer instead.

Writing tags to a mixture of files ranging from 3MB to 150MB takes about 3 seconds on average. It takes a long time when you need to write metadata to thousands of files at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, I did and I have liked it. If you are a hobby photographer or a hobby researcher and are looking for an affordable tool to organise your media, Daminion is what you need. With the free version you can try it with up to 15.000 pictures to get a feeling of it.

I use it for documenting scanned documents and photos for genealogical research. Its perfect to add all info about the documents and/or photos as metadata.

Daminion review by <span>Mardon E.</span>
Mardon E.

"Daminion Server: A Fantastic Product for Cataloguing and Finding Digital Files"

What do you like best?

Even though I'm an amateur photographer, I like quality equipment (Canon 1D Mk III & IV with L-lenses), so it's not surprising that I wanted the best digital asset management (DAM) software that I could find. Daminion Server has met my expectations in that regard, and more. I currently have 331,000+ images catalogued.

Before settling on Daminion Server, I downloaded all of the trial DAM software that I could find. At that point in time, Daminion was in its early stages. Back then, Version 1.0 was still in the future. Even so, my use of those early releases gave me confidence that Daminion was going to be a great product. In fact, even then, it was already better than any of the other DAM software that I had tried. I installed it at the alpha stage, went through public beta, and have never looked back. It only seems to get better with every release.

So why do I like it so much... For starters, it doesn't try to be all things to all people. Daminion software is focused on cataloging and indexing digital files, especially (but not exclusively) photos. In fact, thirty-four different file types are currently supported, such as .docx, .pdf, .fvl, .mov, etc.. Many of the other DAM products embed non-DAM functionality at the expense of their core indexing and cataloguing capabilities. Daminion takes the approach of providing links to external programs for all such non-DAM processes. This provides a clean product, with a friendly UI, that performs its core cataloging, searching and indexing functions extremely well.

Daminion Server is available for both workgroups and individuals. Workgroups functionality includes such features as the ability to 'check-out' files while they are being worked on. I use the individual version, however, so that's what I'll comment on. Daminion Standalone is also available but I prefer using the server.

Handling large numbers of files is not a problem. Daminion Server has no trouble with the 330K+ image files in my current catalogue. Searches are fast, thumbnail display is responsive and entering meta data is exceptionally easy. Multiple catalogues can be created. As an individual, I run Daminion Server on the same PC as my Daminion client. I recommend the Server version over the standalone version because the server is a more robust product for large catalogs. It runs faster and can handle more files, more efficiently than the standalone version. On the other hand, individuals with a small number of files to catalogue will probably find that Daminion Standalone works just fine.

Importing new files into a catalogue is a simple procedure. Files can either be cataloged at their existing location or new files can be created in a new location. I use the add files feature that converts RAW files to DNG format and then stores the DNG version in a folder named according to the creation date of the original RAW file. The conversion process also automatically embeds selected metadata into the DNG file; for example, my copyright notice. This process is all automated and highly customizable. Incidentally, Daminion can handle both embedded and sidecar metadata. I prefer to embed all mine.

There is also a feature to "Re-Sync" folders that may have had changes made to the files outside of Daminion. Re-Syncing can also update any metadata that has been changed by image editing.

Metadata and tags are the key to Daminion Server's amazingly fast search capabilities. Almost any conceivable parameter can be used to find files. These extend from searching file attributes created at exposure time (e.g. ISO), to searching file attributes added during processing (e.g. names of people in a photo.) The search engine also allows for multiple match types (e.g. contains, equals, is empty, etc.)

The UI can be customized to suit the needs of the user. I have my UI set to show a Properties Panel on the right. This shows all the metadata information for each file as it is highlighted in the light-table panel to the left of the Properties panel. Thumbnails are shown in the light-table, with selectable views: thumbnails, compact view, details and film strip. The next panel to the left in my UI configuration is the Catalog Tags panel. I have sixteen main tags (e.g. Media format, Keywords, Event, Categories, etc.). There can be an unlimited number of sub-categories under each of these main categories. Displaying a selection of files with matching tags can be done with mouse clicks on the tag 'radio button(s)' or using the search menu. And on the extreme left of my UI is the Folders panel. It shows the layout of the OS folders that have been catalogued. The folder tree is fully collapsible as in Windows Explorer.

Finally, I have to comment on the excellent support that I have always found through the Daminion User Forum. When the product was still in Beta, there were fairly frequent issues, as can be expected of any beta product. What I found amazing was how quickly these issues were resolved by Daminion staff. Unlike many commercial websites, Daminion's User Forum seems to be monitored closely by the company's support staff. Suggestions to solve problems have always been quick in coming. Fortunately, now that the product is up to version 4.1, I have not had any issues that have required me to test the support forum recently. My guess is that, if needed, it probably remains as good as before.

It may sound like it, but I'm not an employee of Daminion. I've posted this review because I believe Daminion is a great product. If you're looking to buy a software tool that can catalogue digital files and let you easily find them later using, tags, keywords, and indexes, then (in my opinion) Daminion is worth serious consideration. I know I'm a seriously committed customer.

What do you dislike?

My biggest challenge in using Daminion is making sure that I enter file-specific info into the metadata every time I add files to the catalogue. After all, if I want to find all files containing an image of my grandfather "Will Brown", Daminion won't find a file if I didn't add his name to the "People" tag when I added the file to the catalogue. But that's a human issue for me; not an issue for Daminion.

Only one minor issue I'll mention that is perhaps worth changing. When configuring the location of the Panels in the UI, Daminion uses a rather unique method of getting the Panels to snap into place. it's unlike any other UI configuration method I have ever seen. It's a minor point and quickly learned, but perhaps worth mentioning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think seriously about getting the Server rather than the Standalone version.

Daminion is all about the ability to find and retrieve digital files without endless hours of searching.

Daminion review by <span>Kyle W.</span>
Kyle W.

"Powerful Digital Asset Management Software"

What do you like best?

I can not say enough about how well Daminion works for our small team. Some of my favorite aspects of Daminion's functionality include:

- ability to tag photos with a large number of custom tags, including hierarchy

- ability to easily copy/paste tags between photos

- ability to export photos in various resolutions for various purposes (print, email, etc)

- multiple users at any one time with server-based system

- intuitive interface for easy adoption by office personnel

- fast, knowledgeable customer service that is second to none

- stable, virtually 100% up-time

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is very little to dislike. When using the Daminion Server edition as we are, there can be some complexities in getting it to work correctly on a specific network, but Daminion has been very helpful in ironing out any issues, so that is not really a "dislike".

Very simply, being able to find the right picture of the right product at the right time. We are now able to show prospective clients photos of product similar to what they are considering, which is incredibly helpful in the sales process.

Daminion review by <span>Larry F.</span>
Larry F.

"Daminion: a great digital assets management tool"

What do you like best?

I use Daminion frequently in the course of my work.

I have found Daminion to be responsive to any questions I may have about their product. When I send in a request, or bug report, I receive a response, and feel like Daminion really values customer care.

The price of Daminion is very competitive.

Daminion is constantly striving to improve its product. This means more functionality being added on a regular basis.

Mac users will soon be able to access Daminion through the web interface of Version 4.5. This will make all of our Mac users very happy.

What do you dislike?

There is no Mac version of Daminion. This may be a show stopper for many potential users. Face it... many graphic designers use Macs, and find a non-native Mac version unacceptable, even though it will run in "Parallels". This being said, the upcoming Version 4.5 with its web interface will give access to Daminion to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Daminion is very flexible, and as a result can be extremely powerful. Like with any digital assets management program, you have to carefully map out how you want to use the product in order to reach that sweet spot where the metadata you put in is sufficient to satisfy the needs of searching for what you need.

Currently, Daminion is being used as a photo library. It has helped in assisting our graphic artists. The gain in search speed has been our largest benefit.

Daminion review by <span>David D.</span>
David D.

"Powerful and flexible. Takes some effort to populate the metadata but well worth it on user end."

What do you like best?

Ability to run our own server rather than costly cloud.

What do you dislike?

No MAC or Web interface. But now available in BETA :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have your own server rather than a cloud based solution, this is the best product I have found. The support is good, I get replies by email usually the same day (depending on your time zone, they are in Russia). Usually it is about features, or a technical question. The product itself is stable, does not seem to crash at all.

Huge time saver, no more scanning through hundreds of photos to find the one you want. Ability to control and standardize keywords/tags helps everyone. It does take some effort to tag the photos properly if your users did not encode the metadata of the photos beforehand. We have a volunteer (we are non-profit) who is taking on the role to tag photos that still need it. We have also bought the Controlled Vocabulary keyword list that makes this all much easier, standardized and more productive.

The server is shared with our other office and freelance users over the internet via a VPN router, although you don't have to use a VPN you can just set a static ISP if you wish.

Daminion review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Tricky for Home use but, unlike Photoshop, does not take over every aspect of Photo management"

What do you like best?

This program does what I want it to do, and not what big brother Adobe thinks I should want....

I decide where my photos should be, Daminion does not rename then automatically, eg when moving to a different folder or copying.

What do you dislike?

Some aspects are not as intuitive to use, eg organising keyword tags is much simpler in Photoshop Organiser.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A bit of learning, but worth it if you prefer to remain in control of your own files.

Main problem is that Adobe cancelled my registration for unknown reasons and I was faced with buying a new copy at exhorbtant price. Daminion has a free version which is fine for my needs. I use GIMP to do the editing.

I did not like Adobe's invasive extra software (updater, etc) and feel freed from that irritating organisation!

Daminion review by <span>Heinz H.</span>
Heinz H.

"The best media management solution"

What do you like best?

With Lightroom a photographer can only manage photos. As a company, it must also create invoices (PDFs). Lightroom PDFs can not even show. Daminion can show PDFs and you can see and edit the metadata of PDFs.

In Daminion a List View is granted. So you can edit quickly large amounts of data. Lightroom can not in version 6.7 this elementary view.

What do you dislike?

The manual and the instructions are not perfect. But is not a real problem. When looking for example, wants to rename a file, Google returns a result in seconds.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with the free version. There is a restriction of 15,000 items per catalog, but you can create more than one catalog. Daminion helps in many ways to expedite this through its excellent batch import facility. Try it. There is only one way to know for sure. Try it.

Daminion is not just a DAM but also a DMS. So you can manage everything in one place. This saves time.

Daminion review by <span>Yves R.</span>
Yves R.

"Easy, intuitive and yet a lot of possibilities with on top of that great support!"

What do you like best?

It's design is quite easy to learn, no hours of reading needed before you can start working with it. All kind of media are easy to add either using the menu or drag and drop. Tagging is very easy and fast especially when using you own presets, categorising pictures can be done by using star-rating or color scales, ...

The list of features is long and compared to my blog review (https://yvesroyer.wordpress.com/2014/01/06/after-a-very-long-search-daminion/) 2 years ago the added feateres since than are great e.g. versioning. Especially when working together with other people this is a golden feature to avoid loss of work.

What do you dislike?

The synchronisation process of the meta data (after bulk editing) can takes some time. Positive part is that you can pause this process quite easy an resume it when all bulk edits are done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a hobby photographer (like me) and are looking for an affordable tool to organise your media, Daminion is what you need. With the free version you can try it with up to 15.000 pictures to get a feeling of it. If you have questions do ask them, the support is great and very fast!

My wife and I are both hobby photographers and almost every family party or outdoor activities we do result in a lot of taken pictures. Aand although we do delete a lot of "bad" pictures we still have approximately 56.000 media files in our library but you don't notice this while working with Damonion. It just performs as fast as when adding the first couple of pictures!

"Daminion Reveue"

What do you like best?

For me, the best thing about Daminion is how easy it is to setup catalogues for images I have about 5 or 6 catalogues and found that Daminion handles them very well indeed and the speed in which the images load as well I use Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras so work with those images formats.

What do you dislike?

There is not a thing I don't like about Daminion it is a very useful piece of software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this as a tool for other photographers.

I found that this software allowed me to work faster-cataloguing images as well as been able to access those images from across multiple drives on an internal network.

Daminion review by <span>Jose Angel C.</span>
Jose Angel C.

"Simple and complete to manage your image collection"

What do you like best?

Easy and intuitive use.

Cataloguing and annotation processes are under user control, not user at software service (as feels with some more complex packages).

Great control over metadata and coverage of file formats.

Standalone and server versions.

What do you dislike?

Not much really. In any case, a faster operation, even the current operation speed is not bad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Using Daminion you control what enters (and exits) in the database and when. All the metadata is embedded on the individual files, so you don't need to be aware of database consistency, because it can be rebuilt in no time (o build a new one with a subset of the files). Also, when sending a file to anyone you are sure to have all metadata travelling inside the file and always synced. Other solutions are very dependant on database failures to loss data, your data, your work.

Image base is under control and accessible to everyone in the company.

Daminion review by <span>Aleksandr M.</span>
Aleksandr M.

"Amazing DAM software"

What do you like best?

Tag and Organize very easy and fast. Build Workflows and Automations. Assign users to archives and content, set permissions, create groups, quickly revoke access

What do you dislike?

I'd like to see more preview image settings, like sharp and shadow encode next image

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recomend this software

Daminion helps me organazi thouthands of my photos, make fast search and save my time

Daminion review by User in Farming
User in Farming

"Metadata Cheats are a Time Saver"

What do you like best?

It is fast to use and has a lot of tools for labeling images. I work with a lot of product shots that have repeating data and metadata shortcuts allow me to quickly label 1000s of images.

What do you dislike?

The Daminion import can be slow, however, I'd rather give this time up on the front end once and then have the data load fast every time instead of the other way around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better Photoshop Support

When I used lightroom exclusively for cataloging, i couldn't keep everything in one catalog due to speed.. However with Daminion I can keep 10s of 1000s of images in the catalog with no noticable speed problems.

Daminion review by <span>Johan R.</span>
Johan R.

"Metadata for video clips and movies."

What do you like best?

My main requirement was tagging and searching video clips. Daminion provides digital asset management for any type of digital file. The filtering and searching features are superb. Customizing the displays are also amazing,.

What do you dislike?

Writing tags to a mixture of files ranging from 3MB to 150MB takes about 3 seconds on average. It could take a long time if you need to write metadata to thousands of files at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am using the stand-alone version of Daminion. I wrote a User Guide for members of my video club, and because of that I was granted an unlimited licence. During the implementation, I picked up problems with the "Write to file" feature. The support I received, specifically from Murat Korkmazov, was just amazing. If this level of support is provided to a user who is using the free version, I can imagine that bigger users must feel very comfortable.

I am a travel journalist, photographer and videographer. Daminion gives me the capability to quickly find all my digital assets with common features.

Daminion review by <span>Lindsay W.</span>
Lindsay W.

"Very seamless process due to the Daminion Team"

What do you like best?

Daminion fulfilled all our needs for a DAM, the price, features and support behind the product has been outstanding thus far.

What do you dislike?

Main issue is not having a client for Mac OS.

Wish Daminion also had a application Mac, although they did provide us with a great discount in order for us to purchase Vmware Fusion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely take into consideration the lack of support for Mac OS. Your company has to be ready to purchase additional programs in order to get everything to work properly on Mac environments.

Daminion Team has been great with installation and overall support. Murat was always available to answer questions whenever help was needed. Working with the Daminion Team was truly seamless and a pleasure, the team (unsurprisingly) are experts and very knowledgeable about their product

We are now able to consolidate all our artwork into a repository and perform version control, back-ups etc efficiently.

Still testing but so far the employees enjoy the UI experience.

Daminion review by User in Internet

"Helped me organizing thousand of graphical asset on my server"

What do you like best?

I am really satisfied using Daminion pro for organizing my graphical assets in my server. What made me to use this piece of software it helps retrieving the graphic in different ways so this way it helps saving time if I need graphical assets for some projects where time is main constraint. This is my choice for organizing the graphics at once place so I could able to retrieve relevant graphic for my use in future whenever I need so.

What do you dislike?

While it's a great piece of software organizing graphical images, illustration, videos, etc. But I think this software is slow in importing graphics if there in thousands then you have to wait quite long so they can imported. If any bad happens to your PC while importing its surely possible all graphics won't be imported at once and you've try again and again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to organize a large number of graphics, images, illustration and videos, etc. Try this piece of software

It helps my organizing my large number of graphical assets including images, illustrations, videos, etc.

Daminion review by <span>Russ D.</span>
Russ D.

"User friendly, simple"

What do you like best?

The user interface is simple, uncluttered, intuitively easy from step to step. I used to use OhotoShop organizer, but was always fighting the software to do things my way -- not so with Daminion.

What do you dislike?

(1) Would love to see a simple export of the catalog in human and computer readable XML format. I always back up my media, but forget to back up my catalog.

(2) Would love to see a simple way to store (and to change) the full path to my photo collection -- for when I move it from one HDD to another.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. There is only one way to know for sure. Try it.

Have thousands of photos -- mine,my wife's, my Dad's,downloaded, etc. Really need Daminion to keep it all organized.

Daminion review by <span>Keith T.</span>
Keith T.

"Daminion has been a lifesaver"

What do you like best?

Daminion allows us to organize our vast collection of images in a central, easy-to-use database with concurrent user access. It also allows us to easily locate images of a variety of people in our organization. It is going to be a HUGE time saver and resource for us as we go forward. Our Communications Department is initially going to have access to the catalogs. We have discussed the possibility of rolling it out as a solution organizational wide eventually.

We looked at a number of different solutions, but many of the solutions exceeded our budget and wouldn't work as seamlessly with our environment, which includes PCs and Macs (running Parallels). At the same time we were researching Daminion, we were also seriously considering DBGallery. We went with Daminion due to a number of reasons, however its enhanced user interface for both desktop and the web client really set it above the rest of the pack and was a huge selling point for our organization. Another selling point was the fact that the Daminion customer service team was ALWAYS available to answer questions very quickly. Some of the other DAM solutions we considered had long waits for someone to get back to us to answer our questions, that wasn't the case with the team at Daminion, which always responded very quickly to our technical service needs.

What do you dislike?

I wish that we could add keywords/tags in the web portal and I wish the user roles were more customizable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

All-in-all Daminion is a solution that I would strongly recommend to any other communications department in search of a budget friendly photo archiving solution that delivers big on functionality and ease of use.

We have multiple users who need access to our photo archive 24-7 while outside of our building. Being able to allow our users to access the database through the web and on mobile phones was a huge deal for us and Daminion delivers on that. We also appreciated being able to have control over who can access certain photos.

Daminion review by <span>Tom E.</span>
Tom E.

"Daminion Software - a great introduction to DAM for my clients and prospects"

What do you like best?

Daminion DAM provides an experience that is recognizable and current. Software navigation and control conventions are not archaic or so unique as to frustrate users who are impatient with learning curves.

What do you dislike?

I'll reserve comment on this until I find something I strongly object to. So far the software meets my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Extensible? ODBC? Easy to use, low barrier to entry for users..

Image searching and distribution from databases are the main issues facing me and my clients. I offer DAM as a service.

Daminion review by <span>Ryan A.</span>
Ryan A.

"Outstanding DAM software value & ease of use"

What do you like best?

I am very grateful to have discovered this digital asset management software recently. I had tried several versions which were incredibly expensive as well as an open source version though I didn't find it as user friendly as I'd liked. I have plans to utilize this software for three purposes. I will recommend it to a professional photographer colleague who needs help to organize his portfolio. I will use it to organize the several thousand images I have collected in the digital marketing space for use in sales letters, blog posts and so on. Right now they are sitting in my Amazon S3 file storage account gathering digital dust so to speak as I couldn't be bothered any longer having them on my hard drive simply because the organization possibilities were limited and slow. I will also use it to organize images from our start-up company photo shoots to help organize the hundreds of new products shots we obtain. It's great you can add photos to your catalogs without copying them so you're not taking up more space on your hardware than necessary. As well as create categories from local folder names. The search function works much quicker than Windows I've noticed so you can preview images without waiting for them to appear as you scroll down the page. The software is very user friendly and easy to get your head around all features in a matter of minutes. You can use it for many more digital assets other than multiple image types including: video, music, documents, audio, CAD. And it provides the ability to read or write tags and metadata from a decent range of video and camera formats. If you're working in a team it has user permission capabilities as well as version control so you know who is accountable for accessing what and when.

What do you dislike?

I'm not going to complain about an excellent free digital asset management software which allows you to organize up to fifteen thousand digital assets, when similar versions I've tried cost hundreds or thousands of dollars per month. It would be terrific if it was cloud based to have access on any device, but it is more secure as a desktop version, it doesn't rely on an internet connection so there will be less performance issues overall, and I bring my work laptop with me on the go so accessing it will never be an issue.

The sales copy on their website me made me feel a definite emotional connection to this company. They target small businesses and are genuinely empowering us by offering such value at no cost. This facilitates brand loyalty in my opinion that will lead to recommendation and my paid upgrade in the future. This is a business model I will utilize too in a forthcoming project as it truly helps people beyond the bottom line, so appreciate it a lot. I am excited to get the most out of this digital asset management software. I can finally organize and use thousands of images much more efficiently than in the past and it gets my highest recommendation.

Daminion review by <span>Alessandro A.</span>
Alessandro A.

"Great interface and a complete set of functions at an affordable price "

What do you like best?

Damion has a very well designed interface and a complete set of functions to manage many kinds of digital assets. One of the most interesting feature is the capability to read and write metadata to files conforming to XMP/IPTC metadata standard.

It has also a great customer support that is able to respond to fix request in a very efficient and speedy way.

What do you dislike?

Minor but annoying bugs (generally fixed on request).

The lack of a Mac desktop Client.

Some features need to be better tested before a public release.

I'm currently implement a DAM system based on Daminion to manage digital assets of a public heritage archive (digitized materials like photos and multimedia elements). The archive is actually composed by 300K items.

Daminion review by <span>Peter M.</span>
Peter M.

"Excellent cataloguing."

What do you like best?

I've been using Daminion for several years and highly recommend it. I mostly selected it because it stores the metadata within the picture in standard formats. Makes it easy to rebuild a catalogue or move to other systems.

What do you dislike?

Is a little bit clunky for getting pictures out and using them elsewhere.

Effective, relatively future proof.

Daminion review by <span>Salvador A.</span>
Salvador A.

"The product that let me find my pictures."

What do you like best?

It is a database very stable, flexible and easy to use. As a photographer I needed this kind of tool helping to localize my images between the thousands of them.

What do you dislike?

The need to identify every image with tags, every time I upload them to my system. That is not a software defect but a procedure. I have arrived this work methodology in order to be able to find the 2 or 3 years old pictures.

I would find terrible the situation of not finding my old pictures because I use to make artistic compositions adding backgrounds and textures on my new photographs made from my old shots. I do not use stock images for that purpose but my own images.

Daminion review by <span>Dieter H.</span>
Dieter H.

"Three years of use as amateur photographer"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and multitude of features is amazing. I can import photos with predefined sets of metadata and keywords, tags can be structured hierarchically, you can rate pictures with stars and colours, sort and group your data, search for any combination you want, find duplicates... it does everything I can think of and probably a lot more. Since Daminion can write data directly to the file - even with camera-specific RAW-files - I won't get a ton of sidecar files. I import my RAW-files into Daminion first and all the children of those files will contain all the information. So I can use different development tools and version numbers or change the filename according to development status and/or purpose without having to worry about taking along the sidecars.

What do you dislike?

I do accept that people like me are not the sort of customers Daminon is primarily built for. For amateurs with no specific knowhow - neither in PC-computing nor assetmanagemet - a comprehensive manual or inbuilt help-function would sometimes be nice. Nevertheles, this is just a minor issue because of two reasons. First the already mentioned ease of use. Almost everything is basically self explaining and as long as you can live with a bit of "try and error" you will quickly find out how things work. If not, there is the second point: The Daminion team gives outstanding support! Even when using the free version I got quick, friendly and helpful answers to all - even the most silly - questions. I felt appreciated and valued as a customer before I even bought the product!

I only use Daminion as a photo library. I wanted specific information written to a picture - just like in the "good" old days when I used to glue printouts into an album and write comments beside the photos. This is done with no problem - and as a benefit I get the possiblility to search for all kinds of combinations, which by now is the most used feature. I group my pictures according to different purposes like printout, photobook, slide shows etc. and thus do things which in those "good" old days I couldn't even think of!

Daminion review by <span>Kevin K.</span>
Kevin K.

"Daminion DAM Software"

What do you like best?

The speed of access to assets. I find that being able to check all the metadata very helpful. The ease of use of the filter section is a great boost.

What do you dislike?

I like the live preview but still seem to be having difficulty seeing the preview for some EPS files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Daminion for anyone wishing to have control over their digital assets.

The ability to search for digital assets easily and quickly. This saves time and ultimately money on projects.

Daminion review by <span>Martin W.</span>
Martin W.

"Perfect functionality and very kind support"

What do you like best?

I looked for a image database that concentrates on administration, without image editing functionality. I tried out different databases and decided clearly for daminion. Espacially for starters it is risk free because one can tryout everything with unlimited time.

With version 5 I had some technical issues, but the support was excellent and problem has been solved in few days.

What do you dislike?

In version 4 I had some crashes while using the full screen viewer for rating. But I have some hope that this has been solved with version 5. So far I had no crashes anymore.

It is no business use, just private organisation of the growing amount of images.

Daminion review by <span>Julien C.</span>
Julien C.

"Daminion gives me possibility to search and index my pictures"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create my own pre-search filters and to index all my pictures in my photography workflow.

This is stable, it works, doesn't crash.

What do you dislike?

There is no face detection algorithm. Such an algorithm would be great to identify persons automatically.

I'm never sure if metadata are written in exif of iptc tags, and if both of them are synchronized in my pictures or not.

I can index and store metadata in jpeg at the same time. This way i'm sure to be compatible with other pictures tools.

Daminion review by User in Higher Education

"A wonderful software at a moment Picasa is giving up "

What do you like best?

Very good interface for Person Recognition and other metadata. The tags you can add are very useful and always at your hand. The import of the Picasa tags is better then a lot of other Picture Management Software.

What do you dislike?

No problems, nothing. It works very smooth. Perhaps the loading takes some time, but this is only once. The starting up could be a little faster, but this also is just a minor problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, it's worth the value!

Interesting features to manage huge picture data. After Picasa and Picasaweb (Google) are just giving up the business, it was a difficult task to find an alternative for not loosing all the managing work which was done all the years before.

Daminion review by <span>Jesse N.</span>
Jesse N.

"Groundbreaking... a product without compare"

What do you like best?

Daminion is a software package that I have watched in development for many years. By now, it is a fully matured database-driven multimedia asset management system with features that solve long-standing archival issues I have had for years. Even years ago, this software was rock solid at beta and now at version 4.1 is enterprise ready for the next decade.

I am a very organized detail-centered IT career professional as well as a music and video producer. Daminion has every feature I could ever want.

What do you dislike?

Rarely do I use a software package that I don't have gripes, but Daminion has thought of virtually everything I could want in a DAM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because they have an incredible trial / upgrade path that basically just unleashes up-to-unlimited asset capacity once you are fully licensed, you won't have trial-ware junk on your computer and can try the system for any amount of time without any pressure except the need to tag everything you have stored digitally in their central system.

Organizing tens of thousands of audio and video clips.

Daminion review by <span>Woody L.</span>
Woody L.

"Digital Asset Management for Artists"

What do you like best?

I am a visualisation artist myself, helping architects and planners to create future building/city etc.

I use Daminion primarily in my office for building detail reference lookup, cut out people/vegetation lookup and of course other general images and photographs management.

What Daminion is best at, is its keyword and tagging system. Imagine you have thousands of trees, flowers, people and you want to look for one specific type - especially when you are always on deadline. It is said that if you have thousands of assets and no organisation, they will literally just be the same as not having them - since you simply won't be able to find the right item at the right time.

So in short, Daminion as a digital asset management system proves to be extremely robust and useful.

What do you dislike?

Daminion has NOT yet supported touch screen system - which I think when designing in this era is a MUST. Imagine you have such a great system like Daminion which you can very conveniently browse for collected images/ photo library but when you try pinching on those photos, zooming in and out - it does not response well if not crashed. I sincerely hope that the dev team would look into taking into account touch screen users. It will make this product go perfect!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mac version,

Windows 10 Tablet edition.

Touch screen support (It's a must for graphic editing tool!)

Thousands of photos of cars, trees, people with different age, ethnic, posture, perspective and building elements for photo montage. Daminion's keyword based searching system against typical folder structure proves to be an efficient way of organising digital asset.

Daminion review by <span>Branden C.</span>
Branden C.

"Daminion delivers on its promises."

What do you like best?

I found Daminion to be the perfect multimedia solution. It handles multiple media formats (not just pictures), is straight forward, simple to use, and extremely user friendly. Many of the other competitors I reviewed wanted $100+ for a comparable package but the Daminion entry level version (a true trial option with all the perks) was free. I’ve found Daminion to delivers on its promises of easy cataloging, instant access to assets, storing data inside files, broad format support, an ability to import media from other programs, and provides convenient integration with other systems. I’m extremely happy with Daminion and would encourage anyone out there to use it.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't appear to search or sort by media file type in order to quickly distinguish between video files and stationary pictures. Work around is to tag videos as videos and search that way. But perhaps I'm not seeing something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Daminion is a fantastic multimedia cataloging software package! Many amateur/hobbyist photographers eventually get to a point where simple windows file cataloging is no longer sufficient and I was no different. My image database had increased to over 10,000 images and had become overwhelming and virtually impossible to find “that one picture” years later. Over the years I’d conducted a cursory look for a media cataloging program but never really found a simple yet comprehensive software package—and no, that’s not an oxymoron. I also didn’t want to pay huge amounts of money to “try” some program only to find out that it didn’t meet my needs; and let’s be honest, those 30 day trials aren’t really sufficient as it would take 30 days to get all your images uploaded, tagged, and organized; and that’s not a trial, that’s just set up. The actual trial (application of the software) may take months more depending on your frequency of use. But after some digging and comparing, I found Daminion to be the perfect multimedia solution. It handles multiple media formats (not just pictures), is straight forward, simple to use, and extremely user friendly. Many of the other competitors I reviewed wanted $100+ for a comparable package but the Daminion entry level version (a true trial option with all the perks) was free. As expected it took 30 days to upload and catalog about half of my images (I do have a daytime job after all). Now, after about 4-5 months of actual use, I’ve found Daminion to be and do exactly what it professes. Daminion delivers on its promises of easy cataloging, instant access to assets, storing data inside files, broad format support, an ability to import media from other programs, and provides convenient integration with other systems. I’m extremely happy with Daminion and would encourage anyone out there to use it.

Branden Clark

Graphic artist, and photographic hobbyist

Proud Daminion supporter

Many amateur/hobbyist photographers eventually get to a point where simple windows file cataloging is no longer sufficient and I was no different. My image database had increased to over 10,000 images and had become overwhelming and virtually impossible to find “that one picture” years later. I was looking for a simple yet comprehensive software package—and no, that’s not an oxymoron. I also didn’t want to pay huge amounts of money to “try” some program only to find out that it didn’t meet my needs; and let’s be honest, those 30 day trials aren’t really sufficient as it would take 30 days to get all your images uploaded, tagged, and organized; and that’s not a trial, that’s just set up. The actual trial (application of the software) may take months more depending on your frequency of use. But after some digging and comparing, I found Daminion to be the perfect multimedia solution.

Daminion review by <span>Mónica E.</span>
Mónica E.

"The best tool i've ever encountered for my academic research"

What do you like best?

Daminion is by far the best tool I ever encountered. I liked this software so much that, not only I helped translating it into portuguese but was also part of its development as a user in the user test builds.

It not only solved my difficulties in managing a catalogue of about 20.000 photos, but also allowed me to work faster than any other software I've used until then. Endless searching for a file is a thing of the past, for now, the controlled searches allowed by tags and file metadata are also one of the best things in Daminion.

Another wonderful tool is the print sheet were you can set your one files with or without labels and as many per page as you like.

Really, just give it a go. It really is worth it.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that I didn't knew about Daminion until I knew about Daminion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you use large catalogues and different working environments were you need to work fast, simple and effective, this is your tool

My personal academic research was given a boost after discovering Daminion. I worked faster and better and that allowed me to focus on my real research problems instead of software problems.

Daminion review by <span>Crystal R.</span>
Crystal R.

"Great network tagging and catalog software"

What do you like best?

For years Conservation Fisheries was looking for a way to utilize their photos in a more constructive way. We wanted to make the photos searchable, but on a network. Daminion was the first software out to help us do that. We also love the prompt customer service that we recieve from the Daminion staff if we do happen to encounter any issues.

The great thing about Daminion for CFI is that we can tag photos with locations, field notes, people, and species that we find. We are so excited to be able to keep track of this data and have it so easily searchable and workable anywhere on our network. We have helped the Daminion staff along the way in debugging their product and they have provided us with their software as well as service for free. Given we are a non-profit we are very appreciative of their continued help along the way.

What do you dislike?

Our current version still doesnt support the viewing of video, which requires us to use multiple windows to view and tag videos for content. I see this as being a feature they are sure to add along the way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are needing a network based photo tagging/catalog system this is the first one out there that filled our needs and continues to make great leaps of improvements to their software for their customers.

The ability to search our 20,000 photos and videos has really helped us in being able to actually use them more effectively. We can also fact check our field database with the photos we take, so it has really helped us on many levels.

Daminion review by <span>Pedro Iván Q.</span>
Pedro Iván Q.

"Excelente software para organizar archivos multimedia"

What do you like best?

Me gustó la facilidad con la que puede ser organizado el material y para una empresa que maneja innumerables archivos de video como nosotros, es muy buena la accesibilidad que nos proporcionó.

What do you dislike?

En general, como mejora lo único que creo que le vendría bien es que la interfase tuviera un diseño más amigable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si buscan un software que les ayude a administrar su contenido multimedia, este es el mejor que encontramos.

La posibilidad de organizar nuestros archivos multimedia y en nuestro caso, poder ver previstas de video dentro del sofware, fue una ventaja grande del paquete que esperamos adquirir muy pronto.

Daminion review by User in Photography
User in Photography

"Great cataloguing and retrieval"

What do you like best?

The ease of adding categories and the like and being able to create my own references with links to original files.

What do you dislike?

There aren't really any major dislikes. The main thing that would have been useful on a couple of occasions would have been to export all the details I had input for a range of images.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try! They offer good trial terms to allow fully testing the product for your own requirements

Ease of finding groups of photographs to allow quicker response to requests for images.

Daminion review by <span>Ulrich H.</span>
Ulrich H.

"Best DAM software availble on the german market"

What do you like best?

Coming from idimager, it was not a Problem to change to Daminion. A lot of file type are recognized

The stand alone Version does not actualise already imported Folders.,

What do you dislike?

No automatic Backups, Complete folder trees can not be copied including the original structure at once.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A easy to handle Software for all those People who have to manage different types of Media files on different places on their Computer, who do not Need a lot of further unwanted feathers.

Managing Dokuments consisting of several File types : doc, Mpy , Pdf....

Daminion review by <span>Toni P.</span>
Toni P.

"Managing and sharing server-based images"

What do you like best?

It's helpful to manage our collection easier with a fair pricing.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike particulary considering the price. Probably I would like a much modern

It helps us to manage and share our picture collection, thanks to the tags too.

Daminion review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Such a useful tool!"

What do you like best?

It is a fantastic photo management tool! I found it highly helpful in the creation of new and interesting photo applications for my company.

What do you dislike?

Some features are too expensive for trial! However, the features that are offered are well worth the price, especially considering how useful and flexible Daminion's features are.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a fully usable, highly flexible program that helped my company tremendously!

Easy and useful photo management. Really helpful for large batches of media which can be very difficult to manage on a large scale. This program really helped keep track of the photos and various media types that we were attempting to locate!

Daminion review by <span>tim h.</span>
tim h.

"Absolutely Indispensable."

What do you like best?

its flexibility and power. I particularly love the drag-copy or drag-move facility, and the batch renaming facility, which allows you to correct spelling or titling errors on the spot.

The developer is also very attentive to dealing with requests for help or making suggestions.

What do you dislike?

when it is rescanning, you can't see what it's doing until it has finished doing it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

we run on windows 7 pro, on 64 bit and its lightning fast. (50,000 + file archive)

a slower pc with lots of files might take longer.

finding images for clients is very quick. previously you had to remember what folder things were in.

Daminion review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Great Tool Daminion "

What do you like best?

The automatically import from other face recognition tools is perfect. All names you will find in the „Personen“ List – great. And it is very easy to change keywords, GPS-Data or other things for thousands of pictures. I also like the user specific tags.

What do you dislike?

I have no points for this topic, BUT one wish: I need face recognition in Daminion.

I'm looking for a digital asset management tool - I'm now testing the tool.

Daminion review by User

"great for pictures management"

What do you like best?

- open system: tags are written in IPTC standard = you can review or use what you implemented in the tags in another soft, such as photoshop or the excellent XnView

- you can upload the modifications in IPTC fields done through another soft in Daminiion

- you have lost your database, or decide to go to another picture management soft ( in Linux for instance) ? rebuild the database, information is in the metadatas in the picture.

What do you dislike?

as all other soft I have used, spending a minimum of time/hours to understand how it works is a minimum, if you want to avoid troubles

uploading the picture from your DC through Daminion by tagging the pictures is basiquely required = the process flow has to be reviewed to comply with the soft capacities = flexibility of the soft is not the main quality. But once you've understood, it's great.

main benefit is to tag pictures in a centralized open software. Management is easy once it's done

Daminion review by <span>Stuart C.</span>
Stuart C.

"Daminion review"

What do you like best?

Daminon is very easy to use and understand

What do you dislike?

IDont really like the user interface needs updating

Recommendations to others considering the product

Daminion is very versatile and offers lots of features in its free edition

Extremely useful to search for digital assets quickly

Daminion review by Agency in Information Technology and Services
Agency in Information Technology and Services

"Deeply functional, intuitive design and support that really can't be any better."

What do you like best?

The software is powerful, very easy to use, and the support from developers is amazing.

What do you dislike?

None of our staff have found a dislike as of yet.

We had two challenges. Challenge 1: managing our image archive of 1000,s of images of biodiversity conservation priorities, so that, using keywords and tags, the perfect one(s) could be accessed for any number of communication needs. Daminion is the perfect solution for this set up so intuitively, so that building a catalog is easy and downright fun. Challenge 2: a continually challenging IT environment, that required creative installation and use of Server and Client software, so that a variety of staff, across various user roles, and spread geographically across an entire state, could access the catalog. Daminion developers spent many hours with us (via email, chat, screensharing, etc.), over a long period of time, to test and troubleshoot until we arrived at a smooth system. We are very grateful for this tool and the support that comes with it.

Daminion review by <span>Josh D.</span>
Josh D.

"Quick, Fast and Reliable "

What do you like best?

Its fast and easy to implement and maintain the database, and the customer service is amazing.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike, I've only encounter one bug that is a minor annoyance, and that is sometimes the full screen image preview window won't stay active. Overall it is a great product

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it you won't regret it.

At my company we has massive amounts of images that needed to catalogued and able to be searched quickly and easily and Daminion took care of problem nicely

Daminion review by Administrator

"Ideal solution for a Photographic Club"

What do you like best?

The ability to add multiple tags in Daminion and select images from a combination of criteria.

What do you dislike?

There is no Mac version available at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an excellent product, which I would recommend for similar use to my own

Easily selecting images for photographic competitions and ensuring these have not been used before has saved a lot of time and effort.

Daminion review by User

"Manage their digital photos, videos, vector images, PDF and CAD formats like DXF and DWG"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and easy to install, Daminion is the low-cost digital media asset management software (DAM).

The program's export feature supports optimization on demand; users can export media files with specific conversion rules. In one click your files can be optimized for uploading to Flickr or Facebook. Convert files on demand without redundant file duplicates or different image sizes and formats.

What do you dislike?

I think it need a support for Mac platform but is so good in general.

Recommendations to others considering the product

May be they need a support for Mac versión...

Can write metadata into Camera RAW formats, including CR2, NEF, ARW, MRW, PEF, …

Daminion review by <span>Facundo O.</span>
Facundo O.

"Excellent software"

What do you like best?

Daminion is a good software for managing pictures and videos, indexing and retrieving inmediately. Is friendly and affordable.

Recently I was comparing many softs for my company, and I found it is the best. Now, using it since four months, I continue thinking the same.

What do you dislike?

It would be the best if it had a face recognition function.... :-(

I have at my work 70,000 photos and 2 TeraB of videos, and I need to manage, classify, and find out (quickly!) the right media for my work. This catalog increases weekly, so I need a soft that can resolve this, with no special hardware or human requirements. I see this is the best solution for us.

Daminion review by <span>Tim K.</span>
Tim K.

"Daminion - Short Review"

What do you like best?

The user interface is very good organized, tools are grouped logically and easy to find.

I mainly use it to tag my images. Daminion does it fast and without any unnecessary steps between actions.

I never had it crash on me or anything like that.

What do you dislike?

My main problem is, that some of my file types can not be played back directly in Daminion.

Mainly .gif or .webm and sorts like that. To tag those I have to open the file via the Windows Explorer and then tag afterwards.

Having a great organized collection of all my images.

Daminion review by <span>Freddy K.</span>
Freddy K.

"Very Satisfied"

What do you like best?

That it successfully replaced a previously used program which closed down on me. I find Daminion even better and easier to use. The transfer was difficult and the Daminion support was excellent as is their ongoing help.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see tag names under the thumbnails etc., not only the data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Warmly

I am an architectural researcher and Daminion is now the platform for a huge collection of items documenting the planning and architecture of Kibbutz and other intentional communities.

Daminion review by <span>Jacob G.</span>
Jacob G.

"daminion 4.0 server"

What do you like best?

its a real server software, with solid database management. As a result, its far better than the previous application our firm was using. It never crashes.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike. I guess I would have to say the name. Its a weird name, right?

We have a large image database, which is constantly updated and used heavily. We need to access the library, search for relevant files, and quickly. Daminion allows that.

Daminion review by User

"Daminion is the best of the bunch"

What do you like best?

I've tried a bunch of digital asset management programs and Daminion is the only one I've found that offers all the essential features along with good, solid performance combined and incredible personal service on the rare occasion it's needed.

What do you dislike?

The appearance is a bit dated but Daminion is a productivity tool that solves a problem, not eye candy, so I'm happy that it works well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you're looking for a large, expensive, multi-user DAM, look no further than Daminion.

I have about 20,000 images to keep track of scattered over multiple folders and drives. Daminion enables me to easily tag these images and extract whatever I need based on tags. It's the only way to go.

Daminion review by <span>Jeff G.</span>
Jeff G.

"I'm very please with the Daminion's software, and the product support is second to none."

What do you like best?

software features are easy to use and manipulate.

What do you dislike?

I'm a designer so I notice that, visually, the layout of the software leaves something to be desired, but the functionality of the software nullifies any dislike I may have with the software's graphic layout.

We are using the Daminion software to organize / consolidate our image library for marketing and business development purposes. We like the software's functionality so much that we are going to begin using it to organize other types of office document's, as well.

Daminion review by <span>Jay S.</span>
Jay S.

"Excellent Photography Software."

What do you like best?

The ability to add all my photos for a simple preview.

The software is definitely more advanced than other programs.

The Support questions are very helpful.

What do you dislike?

The price is semi expensive compared to Adobe Darkroom that has a few more features.

I do not like the fact that a small amount of photos can be saved to the cloud.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is extremely user friendly.

The ability to search answers for help is excellent.

I have a better ability to Print Photos that are very impressive.

The ability to use the Program on more than one computer was a huge surprise for me.

Daminion review by <span>Robert W.</span>
Robert W.

"Daminion grate and affordable ADM solution"

What do you like best?

It is seat at a grate price compart to other DAM systems on the market but yet it has a lot of very good features and is very versatile

The more I use the software the more features I find and the program is always being developed further and open to conversation about development.

What do you dislike?

Because it is so versatile could it is easy for members of staff to upload stuff wrong could do with some upload locked templates

Recommendations to others considering the product

set up a trial and have a play

The ability to manage out photo archive of over 160,000 event images so we can easily find stuff for marketing etc.

Daminion review by <span>Jürgen S.</span>
Jürgen S.

"Best Freeware DAM"

What do you like best?

The very friendly grahpic user interface which is very easy to manage.

What do you dislike?

That there is no local web interface because i love it work in the browser. I don't need the webclient for other PCs but it would be a dream when i could handle my datas in a browser tab with Daminion.

I use this programm to organize and tag my pictures and i searched very long for a programm where i can easy search for a tag collection.