DataCAD

DataCAD is a professional-level CADD program for architectural design, presentation, and construction document creation.

Work for DataCAD?

Learning about DataCAD?

DataCAD Reviews

Ask DataCAD a Question
Showing 50 DataCAD reviews
DataCAD review by <span>Johnnie V. L.</span>
Johnnie V. L.

A Good CAD Product that is highly underrated and often overlooked

What do you like best?

This cad product was developed by architects for architects to use. Of all the major cad software that I have used (most of them), I am most favorably impressed with DataCad, It's relatively easy to learn, easy to use and offers the ability to draw in 2D and 3D. The software allowed me to accomplish every graphic requirement encountered in my day to day building design documentation workflow.

What do you dislike?

It is not in wide distribution, thus not very well supported. Some interactive smart BIM entities require editing in order to be respponsive under some conditions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this software for use on small scale to mid sized projects. I would be reluctant to execute a very complex project of large scale using this software.

I was able to develop reliable graphic documentation of building projects as part of my professional practice

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DataCAD
DataCAD review by <span>Rick G.</span>
Rick G.

DataCAD use for over 28 years.

What do you like best?

Why so long? As a very early user and co-founder of Dbug the DataCAD Boston User Group, the best answer I can give you is that it has been an integral tool for our office.

Why haven't you tried other CAD programs? During this time we have owned and used several other programs, however over time we always came back to DataCAD because it is just quicker and easier to get things done, results in less cost to our clients and

What do you dislike?

The program has been honed over the years and my dislikes have disappeared. Yes, there are always improvements which can be made, and the developer has a healthy program of stable updates, made within the context of user review and suggestions. So I do welcome those improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look carefully at ease of use, support, documentation, features and yearly costs.

Architecture

Providing clients services at reasonable cost.

Providing visualization, conceptual, schematic and contract services.

Efficient practice of Architecture

What Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) solution do you use?

DataCAD review by <span>Tim L.</span>
Tim L.

Review of DataCAD Software

What do you like best?

Ease of use. This program was created by Architects/Designers for Architects/Designers, and it is obvious that this is the case in the way the application works and functions. I have made my living for 21 years now using this software and it has never let me down. The staff has been phenomenal with the response and attention to detail. There are not enough positive things to say about both the software and the company itself.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that is toward a negative with this software is the lack of 'smart' entities. DataCAD moved toward smart walls, windows and doors awhile back, but the roofs and floors have been a long time coming. However, they did work hard to integrate with other software products that make up for the current deficiency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the investment, there is no other product on the market that gives as much as this CAD program does. The staff is wonderful and responsive and the product is great on the return. Easy to learn, yet very powerful and customizable.

The benefits realized are simply the ability to make a living in a very competitive environment. DataCAD offers enough in the way of modeling to add the 'sizzle' to presentations, while making the day to day use of CAD as simple and user friendly as any program on the market (even more friendly than those I have tried). Summary, it allows me to keep my overhead costs down with its very competitive pricing, while giving me enough tools to compete with any company at my level. Very pleased with the costs versus return.

DataCAD review by <span>Jonathan S F.</span>
Jonathan S F.

DataCAD an excellent user-friendly Professional CAD program

What do you like best?

DataCAD can be used both with a mouse or with the keyboard, and there are multiple ways to do most everything. It was made for Architects and Designers so it is in many ways intuitive and very easy to learn. I once asked a new hire to learn the program and he came in the next day fully up to speed and ready to produce...easy to learn. DataCAD also makes it easy to made 3D models right from the 2D drawings. And the 3D images are great for short movies, interior or exterior scenes. I have worked in 3D in front of residential and corporate clients to help understanding and communication, and it has made for successful design resolutions every time.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to not like with DataCAD, it is constantly being refined to be current with technology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used DataCAD since 1995 and it has been an excellent choice for me and my business. I have looked at and reviewed other CAD programs both before and after I got DataCAD and non of them fit the bill as well as DataCAD.

I find that the ease of use of Datacad in a group setting with clients is an excellent, non threatening, way to build trust and communication with both residential and commercial clients. Everyone can visualize in 3D, so people feel that they understand the project and helps them read the plans.

DataCAD review by <span>George R.</span>
George R.

DataCAD

What do you like best?

I like that DataCAD integrates everything I need to design, present, and produce my architectural work in a single CAD product that is priced low enough for even young architects starting up with staggering student loans to afford.

I like that after using it for over 20 years I can honestly say I was never disappointed in it's performance or the support that I received. I think the support was perhaps the most outstanding aspect. Once you grasp how comprehensive it is and easy to learn and use DataCAD is, you get spoiled by that and just expect that and begin to take it for granted, but the support really builds loyalty. I have called after hours and had the CEO Mark Madura answer the telephone. On that occasion, he listened to my explanation of a problem working on a huge convention center and oceanfront ship terminal project competition. He diagnosed that the project was exceeding the maximum project file size. He help me make custom modifications to the DataCAD software on the spot, that made it possible to expand the maximum file capacity by a factor of four times, to carry on with our work. We won the competition. I have used DataCAD to design every project I have built for over twenty years. Architecture is almost always a partnership and I can honestly say DataCAD is the best partner I have ever had.

What do you dislike?

I disliked that the over whelming market domination of AutoDesk AutoCAD and Revit has made it more difficult for all CAD products to inter-operate and inter-communicate in the CAD space. The time and money wasted by the engineering and Architectural professions as a whole, training and retraining and adapt to the ever changing strategies AutoDesk has devised to create obstacles to the free exchange of CAD files with anyone but themselves, and at times even within their own product range, was astoundingly counter productive for every one. DataCAD and others in the CAD marketplace have always managed to stay abreast of their shenanigans, but, AutoDesk's restraints of trade have been relentlessly annoying to users of anything else. Luckily their products are so exorbitantly expensive that the small inconveniences of dealing with their proprietary standards manipulations was well rewarded by the money and training time I continually saved using DATACAD software at the heart of my practice .

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use DataCAD.

It really is all you need to do what you need to do to get good buildings designed and built.

There are lots of products designed to disrupt your practice, put your software vendor in control of how you work, drain your wallet and mire you in constant adaptions to change. None of that will make you a dime.

DataCAD is the one indispensable tool I need to produce all of the most important CAD deliverables that come out of my Architecture practice. It is, I believe, the most cost effective tool of its kind. It has always been easy enough to install, open, and learn, merely by exploring as you use it, that from the first day thru twenty years of using it, I have never needed formal training. The global community of users is very active and helpful. The "Cheap Tricks" user newsletter is a fantastic and indispensable resource for discovering the aggregated wisdom and best practices of the global user base. The product support is accessible, affordable and excellent. I have successfully used DataCAD as my only CAD tool for the last twenty years of my forty three years practicing Architecture. My work often called for me to collaborate with users of many other ever changing CAD tools that have come and gone, and I have throughout those many years, always found it possible to produce my design solutions and integrate the work successfully.

DataCAD review by <span>Paul R.</span>
Paul R.

My livelihood depends on it!

What do you like best?

Datacad is easy to use and easy to learn yet powerful enough to do all my commercial and residential projects efficiently for the last 20 years. I've had drafters up and running in a day. One of my favorite things is how flexible and customizable this program is. I also like that I can import and export to dwg files and dxfs.

What do you dislike?

One thing is the way it handles hatching around curved lines. I end up having to manually hatch any areas that have curved lines. Too time consuming. I also don't like having to log in and out all the time. I use this at the office and at home so I have to log in and out at each place. Sometimes I forget to do that :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the free trial version before buying any other CAD software and I'm sure you'll purchase Datacad. That's what I did back in 1995 when I was trying to save up for Autocad. I've never regretted my decision to go with Datacad.

Datacad has enabled me to be in business for myself. It is much less expensive than Autocad but just as capable for my projects. I am on the subscription plan because I believe in supporting businesses that support me.

Learning about DataCAD?

* We monitor all DataCAD reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.