DataCAD

4.8

DataCAD is a professional-level CADD program for architectural design, presentation, and construction document creation.

Work for DataCAD?

Learning about DataCAD?

DataCAD Reviews

Ask DataCAD a Question
Showing 50 DataCAD reviews
DataCAD review by Johnnie V. L.
Johnnie V. L.

"A Good CAD Product that is highly underrated and often overlooked"

What do you like best?

This cad product was developed by architects for architects to use. Of all the major cad software that I have used (most of them), I am most favorably impressed with DataCad, It's relatively easy to learn, easy to use and offers the ability to draw in 2D and 3D. The software allowed me to accomplish every graphic requirement encountered in my day to day building design documentation workflow.

What do you dislike?

It is not in wide distribution, thus not very well supported. Some interactive smart BIM entities require editing in order to be respponsive under some conditions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this software for use on small scale to mid sized projects. I would be reluctant to execute a very complex project of large scale using this software.

I was able to develop reliable graphic documentation of building projects as part of my professional practice

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DataCAD
DataCAD review by Rick G.
Rick G.

"DataCAD use for over 28 years."

What do you like best?

Why so long? As a very early user and co-founder of Dbug the DataCAD Boston User Group, the best answer I can give you is that it has been an integral tool for our office.

Why haven't you tried other CAD programs? During this time we have owned and used several other programs, however over time we always came back to DataCAD because it is just quicker and easier to get things done, results in less cost to our clients and

What do you dislike?

The program has been honed over the years and my dislikes have disappeared. Yes, there are always improvements which can be made, and the developer has a healthy program of stable updates, made within the context of user review and suggestions. So I do welcome those improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look carefully at ease of use, support, documentation, features and yearly costs.

Architecture

Providing clients services at reasonable cost.

Providing visualization, conceptual, schematic and contract services.

Efficient practice of Architecture

What Building Design and Building Information Modeling (BIM) solution do you use?

DataCAD review by Tim L.
Tim L.

"Review of DataCAD Software"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. This program was created by Architects/Designers for Architects/Designers, and it is obvious that this is the case in the way the application works and functions. I have made my living for 21 years now using this software and it has never let me down. The staff has been phenomenal with the response and attention to detail. There are not enough positive things to say about both the software and the company itself.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that is toward a negative with this software is the lack of 'smart' entities. DataCAD moved toward smart walls, windows and doors awhile back, but the roofs and floors have been a long time coming. However, they did work hard to integrate with other software products that make up for the current deficiency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the investment, there is no other product on the market that gives as much as this CAD program does. The staff is wonderful and responsive and the product is great on the return. Easy to learn, yet very powerful and customizable.

The benefits realized are simply the ability to make a living in a very competitive environment. DataCAD offers enough in the way of modeling to add the 'sizzle' to presentations, while making the day to day use of CAD as simple and user friendly as any program on the market (even more friendly than those I have tried). Summary, it allows me to keep my overhead costs down with its very competitive pricing, while giving me enough tools to compete with any company at my level. Very pleased with the costs versus return.

DataCAD review by Jonathan S F.
Jonathan S F.

"DataCAD an excellent user-friendly Professional CAD program"

What do you like best?

DataCAD can be used both with a mouse or with the keyboard, and there are multiple ways to do most everything. It was made for Architects and Designers so it is in many ways intuitive and very easy to learn. I once asked a new hire to learn the program and he came in the next day fully up to speed and ready to produce...easy to learn. DataCAD also makes it easy to made 3D models right from the 2D drawings. And the 3D images are great for short movies, interior or exterior scenes. I have worked in 3D in front of residential and corporate clients to help understanding and communication, and it has made for successful design resolutions every time.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to not like with DataCAD, it is constantly being refined to be current with technology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used DataCAD since 1995 and it has been an excellent choice for me and my business. I have looked at and reviewed other CAD programs both before and after I got DataCAD and non of them fit the bill as well as DataCAD.

I find that the ease of use of Datacad in a group setting with clients is an excellent, non threatening, way to build trust and communication with both residential and commercial clients. Everyone can visualize in 3D, so people feel that they understand the project and helps them read the plans.

DataCAD review by George R.
George R.

"DataCAD "

What do you like best?

I like that DataCAD integrates everything I need to design, present, and produce my architectural work in a single CAD product that is priced low enough for even young architects starting up with staggering student loans to afford.

I like that after using it for over 20 years I can honestly say I was never disappointed in it's performance or the support that I received. I think the support was perhaps the most outstanding aspect. Once you grasp how comprehensive it is and easy to learn and use DataCAD is, you get spoiled by that and just expect that and begin to take it for granted, but the support really builds loyalty. I have called after hours and had the CEO Mark Madura answer the telephone. On that occasion, he listened to my explanation of a problem working on a huge convention center and oceanfront ship terminal project competition. He diagnosed that the project was exceeding the maximum project file size. He help me make custom modifications to the DataCAD software on the spot, that made it possible to expand the maximum file capacity by a factor of four times, to carry on with our work. We won the competition. I have used DataCAD to design every project I have built for over twenty years. Architecture is almost always a partnership and I can honestly say DataCAD is the best partner I have ever had.

What do you dislike?

I disliked that the over whelming market domination of AutoDesk AutoCAD and Revit has made it more difficult for all CAD products to inter-operate and inter-communicate in the CAD space. The time and money wasted by the engineering and Architectural professions as a whole, training and retraining and adapt to the ever changing strategies AutoDesk has devised to create obstacles to the free exchange of CAD files with anyone but themselves, and at times even within their own product range, was astoundingly counter productive for every one. DataCAD and others in the CAD marketplace have always managed to stay abreast of their shenanigans, but, AutoDesk's restraints of trade have been relentlessly annoying to users of anything else. Luckily their products are so exorbitantly expensive that the small inconveniences of dealing with their proprietary standards manipulations was well rewarded by the money and training time I continually saved using DATACAD software at the heart of my practice .

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use DataCAD.

It really is all you need to do what you need to do to get good buildings designed and built.

There are lots of products designed to disrupt your practice, put your software vendor in control of how you work, drain your wallet and mire you in constant adaptions to change. None of that will make you a dime.

DataCAD is the one indispensable tool I need to produce all of the most important CAD deliverables that come out of my Architecture practice. It is, I believe, the most cost effective tool of its kind. It has always been easy enough to install, open, and learn, merely by exploring as you use it, that from the first day thru twenty years of using it, I have never needed formal training. The global community of users is very active and helpful. The "Cheap Tricks" user newsletter is a fantastic and indispensable resource for discovering the aggregated wisdom and best practices of the global user base. The product support is accessible, affordable and excellent. I have successfully used DataCAD as my only CAD tool for the last twenty years of my forty three years practicing Architecture. My work often called for me to collaborate with users of many other ever changing CAD tools that have come and gone, and I have throughout those many years, always found it possible to produce my design solutions and integrate the work successfully.

DataCAD review by Paul R.
Paul R.

"My livelihood depends on it!"

What do you like best?

Datacad is easy to use and easy to learn yet powerful enough to do all my commercial and residential projects efficiently for the last 20 years. I've had drafters up and running in a day. One of my favorite things is how flexible and customizable this program is. I also like that I can import and export to dwg files and dxfs.

What do you dislike?

One thing is the way it handles hatching around curved lines. I end up having to manually hatch any areas that have curved lines. Too time consuming. I also don't like having to log in and out all the time. I use this at the office and at home so I have to log in and out at each place. Sometimes I forget to do that :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the free trial version before buying any other CAD software and I'm sure you'll purchase Datacad. That's what I did back in 1995 when I was trying to save up for Autocad. I've never regretted my decision to go with Datacad.

Datacad has enabled me to be in business for myself. It is much less expensive than Autocad but just as capable for my projects. I am on the subscription plan because I believe in supporting businesses that support me.

DataCAD review by Dwight B.
Dwight B.

"Software by architects, for architects."

What do you like best?

Cad operators who work in multi-software offices claim that DataCAD does more and does it faster than other cad software. There is a "light" version that is very inexpensive and will produce professional looking construction documents for any need. I believe Rhino and Sketchup are both primarily 3d, but I've heard others claim they can do condocs with sketchup also.

DataCAD has a very short learning curve and there is a free trial download, so give it a try. I've used it since '95 in my office. It has a dedicated user base and responsive management. For instance, yesterday at 5 pm, somebody on their forum suggested a software enhancement. There was a short discussion among forum members about advantages and options. The CHIEF CAD ENGINEER at DataCAD jumped into the discussion and by noon today he had revised the software and the guy's idea will be in the next upgrade. AutoCad won't do that.

The "lite" version is only $295 and includes most features except "x-ref's", the full program is $1,295, including a lot of 3d capability, and is worth the full price for "x-ref" ability.

What do you dislike?

They haven't marketed fully enough to develop a strong customer base. Almost one else in my area uses it, except those to whom I've bragged on its abilities. On the other hand, the transfer to/from other offices via .dwg translation is easy/painless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a free trial version. Give it a chance. There is a "light" version that you can use and then upgrade to full version with no loss of value. The ability to work EASILY with layers, images, and x-refs is great.

The computer has completely overhauled what I do. 40 years ago it was all on paper, with smudges, erasers, torn paper, and non-parallel lines. With the computer, every print is as perfect as I can draft it. DataCAD makes it easy.

DataCAD review by Octavian P.
Octavian P.

"Money maker!"

What do you like best?

The "go to view" option, among hundreds of other. Like in no other software. I didn't now I was so addicted to this feature until I tried to find it in other much more expensive software. I firstly met Datacad at version 6, under DOS environment. I laughed at Autocad typing brothers. At that time...96-97, I think no other soft was better. I do engineering, structural design. Drawing the 3D model and then using sections to make the reinforcement was a huge advantage. The possibility to work with all building levels superimposed and "open" one or more stories made a huge speed advantage upon any other known software. Using 3D construction made a BIM type approach so easy, years before the concept even appeared. The philosophy of the basic training manual was great: "know what you want to draw before you draw it"!

Also a great feature, I did not experience program crashes since v12. I still am stuck at v12, as It was maximum I needed for my work.

What do you dislike?

The lack of reports and intelligent BOM. As far as I wanted to study the programming language, DCAL I did not have the time to find a way to make quick reports about surfaces, volumes, etc. In my Design&Build company, it is vital to put on the table quick quotations. This is where my need turned to a more sophisticated piece of software: Nemetscheck ALLPLAN, connected for structural design with Scia Engineer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good software, reliable workflow, excellent possibilities to make a project from scratch to detailing.

Features that you will not find in other much more expensive software.

Using shortcuts makes the work that easy that you can almost draw with your eyes closed...:)

All type of structural and architectural plans, from scratch to execution plans. All that I made until 2013 was Datacad powered. And I don't know how to be grateful to those beautiful minds that designed and developed this software.

DataCAD review by Jeremy G.
Jeremy G.

"Amazing product from the horn of plenty "

What do you like best?

Datacad is the easiest program to learn using the tutorial inside the owners manual. Some of the steps have not been updated and are out of order, but if you read the whole section it becomes inherent the order the tasks are to be done. 3D drawing is as simple as 2D. Learned most of the program in about 6 weeks of part time use.

What do you dislike?

The user manual is only available in download format and if you want a book to reference in daily use, it must be printed. The prints are in color and that is nice, but it's over 600 pages (all of which are needed). I would have liked to have a book in hand when I got the program but after 2 days of printing and being bound into two volumes I got my book.

Some of the symbols are hard to identify at times. I recommend printing them out to see and label so you can quickly identity and locate the needed symbol.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Price is ideal and subscription services make it more than worth the price of autocad and rivit

I am a draftsman and design residential structure for private citizens. This program allows me to quickly and efficiently design and produce the designs and provide digital models.

DataCAD review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"A true gem, that does not get its due recognition"

What do you like best?

DataCAD was created by architects for architects. It is the easiest, most intuitive architectural CAD software out there. Yet I consider it the most powerful as well. I used other CAD products for a time, but when I started using DataCAD it just blew the others away. Especially AutoCAD. If I had to use another CAD program I think I would retire, instead.

What do you dislike?

Only that the program gets no respect. How many new CAD users have even heard of it? It's a shame.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The DataCAD community is a vibrant, active group of dedicated users. The technical support from the company is unparalleled. What other company's CEO will often personally contact you with assistance, sometimes within minutes of contacting them? I consider this software a real gem, and worth being any anyone's arsenal of high quality and affordable CAD programs.

There is NO complicated or expensive training required to use DataCAD, unlike many other programs. It works out of the box, with no add-ons needed. It does architecture out of the box. It is extremely cost effective, at a quarter of the price of other CAD programs. It does not use archaic command line input. It has a feature called GotoViews that has no equal (look it up online) in the CAD community. All of this means we are incredibly productive with this software, at a price point that doesn't hobble a small architectural company.

DataCAD review by Timothy L. I.
Timothy L. I.

"Easy to Learn, Easy to Use, AFFORDABLE TO PURCHASE"

What do you like best?

The Datacad CAD Software package is one of the best on the market, for me, it its THE best. Often a company tries to sell you an expensive CAD package, and gives you all their reasons, and there are some good CAD programs out there these days.

However, DataCad is one of those 'gems' you really need to try for yourself.

Its really easy to pick it up, and if you've seen CAD these days, that is saying something.

They keep the same interface iteration after iteration, so you know it will look the same, even if it gets upgraded, which we all know that it will.

For producing really nice, powerful, drawings, this software is simply too easy to learn.

Try it, and you'll love the simplicity of the menus, the easy keyboard shortcuts, and the large number of options for both 3D and 2D exporting and importing. If you have clients who need help to visualize what you are doing, DCAD can do that quite easily. Create your own 3D models, and export them to Sketchup, which will also import back into DCAD, with little effort. Attach your models as XREF's, and bring them into your presentations, with very little effort.

Enjoy the ability to export your models, shaded, or as wireframes for visualization, or render your work in the O2c application, provided within DCAD.

You can even estimate the cost of your projects in a far superior way than square footage approximations, with the Datacad Estimator package, available as an add-on.

If you've spent your career using other CAD programs, this will be a snap to use, and if you've never used CAD before, same thing. Enjoy doing professional quality drawings and spend a fraction of the cost to do it with Datacad 17.

What do you dislike?

Its got a few bugs, and its got a few quirks.

There are some limitations with the modeling aspect, and its not BIM software, but that is understood when one buys this package.

If you dont have an internet connection on the machine which you are using for the software, you'll have to get one. This software lock has to verify the software every 45 days or it will have issues that will result in the software not working fully correctly, thereafter.

Still, these things are a small price to pay, just like the cost of owning DATACAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly consider using Datacad, whether in an office or for your own design work.

Datacad allows professional level drawing, visualization and interoperability in one clean, easy to implement CAD package.

Strongly Recommended.

I am able to do a much better job of design collaboration with my clients, and those with whom we work on a regular basis.

Our clients are able to visualize what we are doing, without spending the time that was needed to allow them to have this understanding, before we began using Datacad.

We have saved the enormous expense of buying more complex software programs, which do largely the same thing, but more tediously, and for far more money.

We've saved our company, and by proxy our clients money all the way around by respecting the bottom line and purchasing Datacad 17 for our office.

DataCAD review by Christopher B.
Christopher B.

"Solid, huge toolkit with a community for support"

What do you like best?

The DataCAD toolkit is vast. It was designed for Architects by Architects. It runs to 2D and 3D allowing for a complete exploration of preliminary and design development as well as making a complete construction document set. The company is constantly improving the product as well as delivering regular updates that install without interrupting my workflow. The interface can be customized to the way you work. The interface is also responsive to keyboard shortcuts as well as screen based menu choices. The very best is that when a question arises you can get immediate answers from a world community of DataCAD users through two different portals, or, if you are a subscriber, directly from the company support staff. Even the error trapping and recovery, though needed infrequently, works quickly and reliably. They will even receive a bum file and return it to you in working conditions. Outstanding group of people providing outstanding service.

DataCAD has a robust DWG and DXF translator which is often helpful when working with consultants on other platforms. There is also an interface with SketchUp which allows for a great presentation for the client while building data useful later in the project.

What do you dislike?

Hard to find something I dislike. The 3D interface is still a work in progress, but becoming more complete each release.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a copy and try it out. Obviously there is a learning curve, but tutorials exist and there are books to consult.

Lets me focus on the design solutions and not operating the software.

DataCAD review by Gregory B.
Gregory B.

"The best 2d CAD software ever"

What do you like best?

I have been using DataCAD since 1989 as my primary software. What I like best is the ease of use. All of a multi story project can be in one file with Go to Views set to view any combination of layers with ease. DataCAD can do both 2D and 3D work as needed. The software works the way Architects think. It imports DWG with ease. There are keyboard shortcuts that allow you to efficiently draw without pop-ups. Great software for the price/performance.

What do you dislike?

The 3D is not as easy to use as other CAD software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best 2D software for Architects. I wish it would hurry and implement 3D

My Problems are always creative problem solutions and DataCAD helps me everyday. I can draw anything. I can reuse whole drawings, parts of drawings or symbols with ease.

DataCAD review by Chris C.
Chris C.

"Long time DataCAD user"

What do you like best?

A lot of power for the price. The program is easy to learn and to teach.

What do you dislike?

1. Would prefer more flexibility in managing symbol attributes. I use them to create schedules, master note lists, etc. I would appreciate a straightforward way to do that within the program (I currently go through Excel, using cut and paste) and I would like to be able to update the attributes of all of the symbols in a file at the same time.

2. Because Auto Cad is the industry norm, most new employees have no experience in the software and have to be trained. By no means a deal breaker, but sometimes inconvenient.

3. The Auto Cad interchange could be smoother, but it is adequate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DataCAD is not a BIM program, although it does have 3D capabilities. In combination with Sketchup (Trimble), it is a good alternative to the much more expensive BIM alternatives. If Iwere starting from scratch, I would also consider Archicad and Versacad.

Digital drafting is essential to my practice. DataCAD is how I do it.

DataCAD review by Russell M.
Russell M.

"DataCAD --built for architects"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of use is fantastic and the fact that the same functions are in the same spot for at least my last 15 years of using the product. You can customize tool bars as you like bu the main menus are tried and true. You can choose to use shortcut keys, menus or toolbar icons interchangeably and the result is the same...it all about what works for you.

What do you dislike?

There is definitely a small learning curve if you are change over from AutoDesk products. And while you can xref to excel documents and the like. The control of the output from these are still limited. COPY AND PASTE is the only reliable way to get the information into the correct appearance from a spread sheet. But this is still relatively easy. BIM is still very limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Using an older version today for file compatability reasons. (see image) but work identically between version 8 - 16 all they have done is add features over time and changed to 64 bit.

The cost (especially with upgrades is very palatable. And while we could do a subscription service, we have chosen to upgrade hard copies in stead and choose our upgrades when we see fit.

DataCAD review by David S.
David S.

"Satisfied Customer for over 2 decades"

What do you like best?

Datacad has allowed me to produce GLOBAL Award Winning projects for well over 20 years.

A loyal core GLOBAL user base of other satisfied users help each other 24/7 should challenges arise on any subject. Owners and Sr. Management of Datacad LLC are constantly available to ipmliment suggested enhancements from users.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to dislike with the exception of FULL BIM capabilities,which I do not use anyway.

Datacad continues to be a VERY Powerful program for the AEC Community and new capibillities are being explored constantly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Datacad is THE Best Value in todays marketplace!

Datacad allows me to produce ALL the Highly Detailed Presentation Drawings,Modeling,Sun Studies and Construction documents for HUGE Commercial, Hospitality and Residential projects from withing the program. Xfers to Consultant,Owners and Contractors are a breeze and support (when needed) is instant.

DataCAD review by Atul Y.
Atul Y.

"Must have for Architects !!"

What do you like best?

This is an excellent tool for architects. Whoever has designed this has a good idea of what architects need and how they typically work. It makes life of engineers, designers and drafters very easy.

It has great 2D and 3D capabilities and it integrates well with Autodesk products.

What do you dislike?

Everything is good with this software. there is nothing that needs to be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricing seems to be on higher side. Make it little lower so that more companies take this ON.

Easy integration with Engineers and Designers while working live on projects.

DataCAD review by Shannon C.
Shannon C.

"DataCAD user since 1993"

What do you like best?

Building design is a breeze with DataCAD. It is constantly improving and is extremely user friendly. Printing and batch plotting are simple to set up and execute. Extensive symbol files and hatch patterns are all included with the program.

What do you dislike?

It's not easy to find things that I dislike about DaraCAD. I will say that setting up multi scale plots is complicated so I rarely use the feature, but it is available nonetheless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DataCAD is a perfect residential design and drafting tool that saves time and helps make money due to its ease of use, accuracy, and constant improvements.

Whether starting new designs or customizing stock plans, DataCAD is a perfect platform to work with. Associated dimensioning keeps plans accurate. While adjusting plans dimensions and hatch patterns are also automatically adjusted.

DataCAD review by John M.
John M.

"Inexpensive, easy to learn, easy to use, customer support is way beyond awsome!!!"

What do you like best?

It's all good!

I am an annual subscriber, that means that I get upgrades automatically, not having to wait a year or two for a new release. Customer support is included for subscribers. Yesterday I had a small problem moving from one computer to another. I had an answer to my email in less than an hour, problem solved, Next day I received another email from tech support, just checking to find if I was able to do what I wanted. You will never, ever find that kind of support from any other Cad software.

P.S. There is a monthly news letter "DataCad Cheap Tricks" that also needs a plug here with my recommendation.

What do you dislike?

I am the real "One Man Dog and Pony Show" I just wish that I had more time to use DataCad.

I use it for Architectural, Mechanical and Engineering.

As a subcontractor, I find it most useful in lay out where I an often able to find and correct problems of those more Professionally Certified than I. I am not an Architect, Engineer, Lawyer nor Surgeon but can do it all in a pinch.

It is most useful for Construction Documents, however I also use it for Civil and 3d ( My version ).

If you are looking for a Cad software program, this is "The Cat's Meow".

Oh, I was supposed to tell you what I do not like about Datacad, The only complaint that I can think of is that it is NOT available for the LINUX operating system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not understand why any professional is NOT using DataCad.

Design Build

DataCAD review by Pete H.
Pete H.

"27 year user"

What do you like best?

DataCAD is the easiest to use and consistently impresses my OtherCAD users. The version 17 that I bought a few months ago really took the bugs out of translating to and from dwg files.

What do you dislike?

Difficult interface with SketchUp. I'd like to see some YouTube videos for how to do some of the more difficult things. DataCAD has shifted to a lot of 3D features that, as an old school drafter, I will probably never use. The only downside is that I've not been able to find a list of architectural firms using DataCAD for searching for a new job or for future-selling my firm. I had an interview last year to work for another firm but I did not know the software they used so that was a huge detriment. I offered to learn their software but ultimately decided to keep my business and enjoy being self-employed. Since showing DataCAD to my engineers, they quit OtherCAD and bought their own version of DataCAD!

Recommendations to others considering the product

When I was given the option to select the software I wanted 27 years ago, I had salesmen come in from about 5 other companies and give a demonstration and chose DataCAD. I got it on a Friday and turned out my first drawing on the next Monday. There are a lot of features I do not use so there is way more power than I need but that's just me.

I'm a licensed Architect and do only commercial projects. Because I've been with DataCAD since 1998, I have thousands of files for projects and now clients come to me because they know I can pull up those files and quickly modify them for new tenants.

DataCAD review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Interior Designer Retail Specialist"

What do you like best?

First and foremost it is a very user friendly program that has a very short learning curve. Since my clients can understand the drawings better in 3d I now draw everything in the 3d mode which I can then model in O2C or in Sketchup. I have tried some of the other programs and found them to be much harder to learn and to use.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike about Datacad. Technical support is fabulous. The only drawback is that some formats of other programs do not always or cannot translate into Datacad. It would also be great if Datacad was able to import pdf files and automatically turn them into usable cad files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to Cad this is the easiest and least expensive way to go.

The benefits of using Datacad are its ability to create in 3d. I am sure that I can turn around drawings faster than anyone in any office using any other program.

DataCAD review by Debra Rucker C.
Debra Rucker C.

"Using DataCAD since day 1 in the 1980s!"

What do you like best?

Originally developed by architects, it's been a cost-effective solution for my 2D CAD design for almost 30 years! You upgrade when you want to. Being a small company, the customer support (although not often needed) is also cost-effective, prompt and personal. DataCAD interfaces easily with AutoCAD and DWG files. We have never had a complaint when our exported DWG files are opened in AutoCAD. The GoTo views function is my favorite over AutoCAD and it's paper space/model space concept which has been confusing! It's residential templates/symbols are very comprehensive - more so than those even in Revit. And many have 3D characteristics.

What do you dislike?

The 3d part is clumsy for me although I know that some advanced users figure it out. It's interface with SketchUp seems to be improving. I wish that more people used DataCAD in order to be able to attract more project help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fantastic economical solution for 2D work and maybe for future SketchUp interface.

Exporting and importing from structural and civil engineers DWG files (even with detailed topos) seems to work really well!

DataCAD review by Mark B.
Mark B.

"The most under-estimated CAD/BIM software on the market"

What do you like best?

I was first introduced to DataCAD v4 back in 1991 at a time when AutoCAD was seen as the 'industry standard'. Looking back, I can genuinely claim DataCAD has provided all the necessary tools and features to help us maintain a competitive edge over other practices using higher cost software such as Revit, AutoCAD, Archicad and the like. It really is an all-rounder and has proven to be reliable, flexible, feature-packed and easy to use, allowing my office to deliver everything from quick 3D sketch proposals, developed concepts, presentation-quality drawings, standard 2D documentation drawings or hybrid BIM documentation, 2D, 2.5D and 3D modelling and visualization with the added advantage of being customizable in 2D, 3D and parametrics.

We often get complemented on the quality or legibility of our drawings compared to our competition who use the CAD/BIM software mentioned above. DataCAD supports a full suite of customizable attributes so you can really create whatever you want to allow the printed drawing to resemble a variety of architectural styles to suit. Most BIM software produces 'flat' looking drawings with little line-type definition and in today's competitive market you need your work to stand out against the rest. DataCAD is also one of the original members of the OpenDWG Alliance so it always includes the latest import/export translators for various CAD and 3D modelling packages making it a good choice when exporting to rendering software.

There's no 'perfect' software and there are features in some other packages not found in DataCAD just as it has features not included in other software. There's also a lot of hype over full BIM applications and the hype often overlooks the fact that you either have to purchase a number of objects/symbols or spend a large amount of time creating them to build your own object libraries so that the software can work the way it's marketed. What we like about DataCAD is that it offers a variety of methods to do a task or project without the need to purchase a large symbol/object library (it comes with thousands of objects) or spend time creating your own library just to be able to start. It's easy to learn allowing us to employ new staff based on qualities other than what CAD skills they have - over the years we've employed staff trained in AutoCAD, Revit, Microstation, Archicad and each has expressed their preference for DataCAD for the reasons noted above.

Two last points I think are worth mentioning- DataCAD is more than just a CAD/BIM software, it's enjoyable and somewhat addictive to use. I think when you enjoy doing something you get more back. The other point is that the people behind the software at DataCAD are very hands on and communicative/supportive and listen to what the end users want. This provides quick turnarounds with software updates (new features + bug fixes) and allows users a say in how the product is developed and what new features are implemented.

What do you dislike?

We know things are cheaper in the US than here in Australia, but the low purchase cost of DataCAD has probably reduced its capacity to openly market itself as a viable contender. It's one of the most under-estimated CAD/BIM software on the market.

When DataCAD first came out it was well ahead of the competition for 3D modelling. More of the competition has caught up and adding new/additional features in this area, particularly with the smart parametrics, would be welcomed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go and don't just follow the crowd.

My practice is multidisciplinary with projects ranging from commercial fitouts, restaurants, schools, medical, industrial, retail and commercial, hotels to medium and high density residential including highrise towers. Our work covers master planning, architectural and interior design as well as 3D visualization. Our biggest problem is time and client demands and expectations. The nature of the industry expects developed concepts and 3D imagery at the first post. To achieve this DataCAD has allowed the traditional method of hand sketching ideas followed by a rough 2D and/or 3D sketch, then developed concept with some color artist perspective to be condensed into a 1-2 step process where the concept is designed directly in DataCAD allowing quicker visualization and more accuracy from the start. It has also allowed more opportunity to explore alternative ideas and present quick 3D design models allowing more collaboration with the client so they can get a better understanding what's in your head much earlier in the design program. I've tried this approach on other CAD systems but I've spent more time focusing on using the software rather than designing.

DataCAD review by Joe M.
Joe M.

"DataCad Software User - Since 1994 Version 5 - My Review Below:"

What do you like best?

DataCad is (10) Times more of a user friendly software for Architectural Construction Documents than any other software, including Autodesk Products. I still use AutoCAD, but only because I'm required to. When not required - I always go to DataCad Software.

Reasons Being:

Less keystrokes required to accomplish the same commands in most other Software CAD Programs.

Insertion of Windows and Doors are just plain genius in DataCad compared to other software.

Laying out Walls Commands are created with the Designer.

End result is exactly what I hoped for on all projects.

DataCad is an affordable, user friendly and extensive software with the Architect/Designer/Draftsman in mind.

What do you dislike?

Still waiting on 3D aspects of CAD Software to become client affordable to create final construction documents on all projects. No matter the design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your an Architectural Firm trying to decide which Software to purchase - You will only be very happy you chose DataCad after you first project.

More productivity on a daily basis.

DataCAD review by User

"DataCAD é muito melhor que o AutoCAD "

What do you like best?

O DataCAD é um programa AEC CADD de nível profissional para designs arquitetônicos, renderizações foto-realistas, animações e criações de documentos de construção. Desenvolvido por arquitetos e engenheiros de software para a arquitetura, o DataCAD inclui ferramentas que tornam mais fácil projetar, como porta automática e inserção de janela, dimensionamento associativo, enquadramento 3D automatizado e tradutores DXF/DWG para importar arquivos.

Este sofware lhe permite redigir, editar e preparar documentos de construção de precisão. Mais do que apenas uma ferramenta de elaboração, o DataCAD inclui modelagem 3D automatizada e ferramentas de renderização foto-realísticas que o coloca à frente da concorrência. Você controla a iluminação, sombras, e aplica os mapas de textura para criar imagens coloridas convincentes de seu mais recente projeto de 24 bits. A visualização de um projeto com antecedência permite que você e seu cliente economizem tempo e dinheiro, ao concordar em mudanças no início do processo de design.

What do you dislike?

Não tem nada que eu não goste eu utilizo 90%

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recomendo o DataCAD para arquitetos, engenheiros, contrutores e empreiteiros

criações de projetos e desenhos arquitetônicos 2D/3D e documentos de construção

"Datacad versus Others"

What do you like best?

DataCAD will do just about everything a residential and light commercial designer could ask for in 3d fashion. Lets face it, CAD programs are nothing but a expensive pencil. Which is why I feel DataCAD offers your best bang for your buck!

What do you dislike?

I have used other CAD programs AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT, TurboCAD. And I have taken some serious test drives on several others, Rivet, Floor Plan, Soft Plan, Chief Architect. And yes, there are some pretty nice features in each and every one of these CAD programs (some that I would love to have). However each time I feel I want to make a switch it comes down to expense. DataCAD still does what I need for a respectable price. Ok, there is some comfort level that goes along with this decision. However, please keep in mind that I have made major CAD program switches, and I can honestly say. Each switch, and each CAD program comes with it's own set of issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out DataCAD's o2c 3D viewer.

Sketchup and DWG conversions.

I work on projects as small as product design, all the way up to residential and light commercial work. And I do benefit on the fact that my projects are not the largest.

DataCAD review by JOHN K.
JOHN K.

"I am an Architect and have used Datacad since version 9, and it is my preferred cad program."

What do you like best?

For all my Architectural construction and presentation drawings I use Datacad and have since their version 9. It is by far my preferred cad program, and will develop my drawings first with it even when a client demands the products be supplied in an Autocad format. No software I have used is even close to Datacad for ease of use and features for my architectural work. I use an extruding type modeling program to begin my design work, preferring Design Workshop or Sketchup. I then transfer files into a program for construction document and presentation work. I have used many versions of Autocad programs including Revit, and many other cad software, including a Intergraph mainfram system in the 1980's. Some software, such as Autocad Architect and some others, claim to be designed specifically for Architecture. However, they all are built on top of a general cad platform, and therefore are bloated as well as not completely focused for my type of work. Datacad was built for the work "I DO", and it shows. Year after year features that I most can use have been added. I now use Datacad 14 and plan to upgrade again soon. It is of note that Datacad has always been a much more affordable system as well, especially important for my "One Man Show", but that certainly is not the only reason, or even the main reason, that I am completely sold on Datacad.

What do you dislike?

I would love it if Datacad added a subroutine that allowed "extruding" design work. I can pretty easily import from the modeling software I now use into Datacad, but there is a need for some cleanup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are engaged in Architectural work you won't find any software better suited, easier, or with anywhere the number of specialized features for your work, than Datacad.

I have discovered, through a very wide exploration of possibile methods and systems, that I can work most efficiently.... and most succesfully.... with the techniques I have developed that use Datacad as my base platform.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Proud DataCAD user for almost 27 years"

What do you like best?

This software is very user friendly and intuitive. The 3-D aspects are something I not only use to explain my designs in a graphic way to my clients, but I also design with it. When I was first exposed to DataCAD at my first office, it was not a long learning curve, yet at that time the 3-D elements were very basic. Since opening my own firm 22 years ago, I have stuck with DataCAD and am glad I have. I use the most current version and keep up on all the enhancements. The company listens to it's users and is always finding new ways to streamline production. They are also helpful when I have encountered something glitchy. So far, the glitches had been caused by my own computer...but they helped me anyway. I haven't had any issues with the program or my use of it for as long as I can remember. I feel so strongly about this software, that I have used to assist three high school students (who get mediocre class instruction in CAD at their high school) and have taught them how to use it well enough to design and model a fairly complicated house or prepare a basic set of working drawings for their senior projects, all outside of school in a couple of months with a total of maybe 40 hours instruction time. They love the software and feel it is easy to learn, and get the effects they want to achieve. There are so many elements of the software that streamline the design and drawing process such as smart walls, windows and doors, macros of all sorts, some that frame building walls, roofs, and floors, one that designs 3-d stairs...with every single possible element offered...one that designs roofs and connects them to one another, modeling software and rendering that is editable, a slug of symbols and templates and bitmaps (all editable), and an interface with other software products like sketchup and autocad products. I can import models and symbols that way...for free. It also creates PDFs that I can use to ship my final products to an offsite printing service or send to clients to review. The layering methods are so flexible and do not require caps or limits to just one color per layer. Dimensioning is so easy and flexible...I can't even describe all the cool things about DataCAD. The best thing to do is download a trial version and check it out.

What do you dislike?

I recently lost a drafting contract with a large firm because DataCAD while accepting AutoCAD files (DWG and DXF) did not have a matching line type and print color table, or one that would coordinate going back and forth. I could import everything as it was meant to be seen from AutoCAD to DataCAD, but could not send it back so it would fit with their office standards. That was frustrating to me, but that is not something I can blame on DataCAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try this product out. As I mentioned above, the features cover it all. It works for me as a residential architect exceedingly well.

My problems that I solve have most to do with working with clients who are trying to build or remodel a residence. They are not builders or experts in the field, and cannot really grasp a set of plans. What they can grasp is a model they can walk through in real time and experience the environment around them, and in a setting where their home will actually be constructed, or at least something similar. They will see how light will move through the windows, and how their furniture will fit. I have very happy clients at the end of the construction projects because they get exactly what they expect...and so do I. Sometimes my 3-D brain might miss something...staring at a design for too long or not having a co-worker to bounce things off of can cause that, but modeling it catches problems before they become a reality.

DataCAD review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Easy to use and perfect for small businesses"

What do you like best?

DataCAD has so many features that make it quick and easy to edit drawings.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint would be the layout for some of the actions in the side bar. For example, Move > Drag is located at the top of the menu, whereas under the Copy menu, Drag is 5 options down. In a rush, this can be quite annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth the investment. Tech support could not be better. They are extremely helpful and work to solve your problems/concerns diligently.

As a working architect, drawings are often needed to be created/edited in a hurry. Being able to use the Change menu is extremely convenient and a great tool to have.

DataCAD review by James G.
James G.

"Hard to do much better"

What do you like best?

I have used the software continuously since 1985. The program is very stable, easy to use, well supported by the publisher and an unbelievable user base. The program is geared specifically to architects and can be easily customized to suite any work flow. Included translators facilitate interaction with AutocCAD and Sketchup among other programs.

What do you dislike?

The program is such a joy to use that I spend too much time using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program is a realistic alternative to Autocad and will provide more features with a lower learing curve and far less cost.

Provides a full-featured, less expensive, and easy to use alternative to Autodesk products.

DataCAD review by Marci W.
Marci W.

"Easy to learn, easy to use"

What do you like best?

I prefer DataCAD over other CAD programs because of the ease of using it, plus I believe I can draw faster with it as well. It is user friendly, and the tech support is also wonderful when I need it (which is rare).

What do you dislike?

I am pretty satisfied with the program; i don't have any issues with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn it!

I can easily solve problems in the field as contractors give me dimensions over the phone and I can have revised details drawn in an instant.

DataCAD review by Anthony M.
Anthony M.

"Masciarelli on DataCad"

What do you like best?

It is a program which is intuitive for the practice of architecture. Comprehendible, with a simple leaning curve.

What do you dislike?

I pretty much like all aspects of the software for architectural drafting. I think they have pursued too many complicated 3D functions. ( SKETCH-UP is a much better 3D product in my opinion.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone seems to default to AutoCAD, since it seems to be the industry standard, suggest trying DataCad and comparing the two programs for ease of application.

Drafting tasks are much simpler as are revisions. Time parameters are shortened and tasks are not foreboding.

DataCAD review by Robert C.
Robert C.

"REGISTERED ARCHITECT"

What do you like best?

Cost of the program and support versus other CADD programs on the market. It versatilty, ease of use, and continued improving of the product to meet users needs.

What do you dislike?

So far I am very happy with DCAD, i have been using it for over 20 years, and have always upgraded the software when upgrades became avaliable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DCAD is a cost effective alternative to AutoCad.

Use it for all our architectural work.

DataCAD review by Bob- S.
Bob- S.

"My CAD Program Of Choice for 18 Years"

What do you like best?

DataCAD is a very versatile CAD program. I use it mostly for construction documents although it includes 3D modeling, 3D is not my bag. I have tried to learn Autocad and other programs, but found them difficult to do the same tricks that DataCAD can do and requires many more key strokes to achieve the same results. I also use it to create non-architectural work such as flyers, cartoons and cards.

The use of keyboard macros speeds up drafting time. It comes with many useful symbols or you can create your own as needed. I can open multiple files and cut and paste between them. I can import DWG and export DWG so working with engineers who use Autocad is not that big of a problem. Their customer support is top notch.

What do you dislike?

I can't say it's really a dislike but I don't use the 3D modeling capabilities in the program. It's just something I rarely get asked to do by a client due to the projects I get. One weak point is exporting files to work seamlessly with an Autocad office. I'm sure other CAD programs are similar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very intuitive menus and process of producing documents.

A very versatile drawing program. Includes features such as Multi-scale plotting, Xrefs, Go-to-views,

Many symbols, patterns, line types and the ability to create your own custom ones.

A close knit DataCAD community of users who believe in the program and love to help out others with problems.

I can produce drawings quickly. Schematic design is quick and then can be used to upgrade to the construction drawings. I list DataCAD on my company website as one of my assets in my way of doing business.

DataCAD review by Jonathan E.
Jonathan E.

"This is a simple and very fast program to use. Perfect for someone who already had traditional draft"

What do you like best?

Architectural cad program written by architects for architects. The interface is simple and intuitive. enough said.

What do you dislike?

Since it is not as widespread as AutoCAD it has limitations , especially for 3rd party adopters. Not a lot of options. DWG translation sometimes a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Much easier to do whatever you want without relying on BIM. For accurate drafting it is perfect.

Construction drawings for Building permit. Speed of application and ability to customize graphics... superb in it's simplicity.

DataCAD review by Rod A. J.
Rod A. J.

"I wouldn't use anything else!"

What do you like best?

The personal care from customer support that is provided - I've actually emailed the president / owner of the company on the weekend and my problem was addressed immediately - I know of no other CAD program / company that offers that kind of service!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there aren't more people using DataCAD - The AutoCAD users swear by their program - I just don't get it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy the upgrades guys!

N?A

DataCAD review by David A. C.
David A. C.

"DataCAD user since 1991"

What do you like best?

Created by Architects for Architects

Ease of use, short learning curve, good import/export capability to other platforms

Extremely affordable price, upgrades always include new features that I didn't even know I needed

Can't be beat for Construction Drawing work (90% of most Architects business)

What do you dislike?

BIM not quite there but they are working on it

Recommendations to others considering the product

The "must have" program for small-mid size Architectural firms

fast efficient production of Construction Documents

DataCAD review by Robert T.
Robert T.

"Benefits of DataCad"

What do you like best?

-The simplicity in the commands and ease to create drawings. The interface is geared for realistic and usable architrectural drawings. Its not just lines on a piece of paper.

What do you dislike?

The lack of more BIM related controls. The 3D input could be made simpiler to understand and create. Exporting to DWG could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has a short learning curve.

It is simple and ease to use for production.

Educating the cllient as to what is practical and the costs invloved. Also, the time required to do it correctly.

Changes in DataCad are easy and quick.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Cad by architects for architects"

What do you like best?

It is the most intuitive CAD program I have ever used. It has a very responsive tech staff, although I rarely ever need their help. When an Autocad user joins our firm I usually give them about an hour of training and by the end of the day they say they never want to go back to Autocad.

What do you dislike?

This is a hard question. I guess I would have to say I dislike the fact that it has as few users as it does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Most cost effective CAD program available

Better working drawings completed in less time.

DataCAD review by Mike C.
Mike C.

"I've been using DataCAD software for over 25 years"

What do you like best?

I am self taught, DataCAD is very easy to use and an economical solution to create construction documents. The support is outstanding and the community of users is constantly growing.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about the product.

Being able to complete construction documents in a timely manner.

DataCAD review by Haiden G.
Haiden G.

"DataCAD is a CAD program utilizing the newest technology."

What do you like best?

I like how well you can produce CAD files, in a short amount of time.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the ability to not do 3D modeling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes I would recommend it to anyone trying to learn CAD.

We are trying to create products for production using production ready drawings from the program.

DataCAD review by Terry W.
Terry W.

"DataCad"

What do you like best?

A great presentation and production tool

What do you dislike?

Not enough users utilizing the program, schools are pushing Autodesk and not looking at other cad programs that are applicable to our profession.

Master Planning

Schematic Design thru Construction

DataCAD review by John W.
John W.

"DataCad"

What do you like best?

Ease of use tailored for Architects. Comands are set up in construction language

What do you dislike?

That it is unknown to many so some think it is an third party product - but it is far better than Autocad

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best software for architects!

Architectural design

DataCAD review by Val P.
Val P.

"Architectural software for Civil and Structural Engineering"

What do you like best?

DataCad is NOT 3rd party software mounted atop a base software. DataCad is designed by and for Architects so works great for Structural Engineers because our goals are similar. With minor adaptations like using wide walls for roads DatCad works for Civil Engineering drawing. DataCad has lots of flexibility and usefulness for me.

What do you dislike?

I think it will come but being able to do BIM projects will be worthwhile. I have trouble learning all of the features of DataCad because I don't have a reason to use them all. Being able to draw in DataCad and directly transfer those drawing models to a structural analysis program would be stupendous.

DataCad helps me with communicating clear information to my clients, particularly because I can create .pdf drawings that they can immediately use. Speedy information creation and transfer by email.

DataCAD review by Richard L.
Richard L.

"First vused Data CAD 25 years ago"

What do you like best?

It is so much easier to use than AutoCADD, and less expensive. I won a copy od DataCAD at a trade show 25 years age and it is the only CAD program I use. Others in my office use AutoCAD, but i personally do not.

What do you dislike?

More training opportunities would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, you will love it.

Lower cost helps.

DataCAD review by Patrick F.
Patrick F.

"DATACAD IS EASY TO LEARN, USE, AND CUSTOMIZE, "

What do you like best?

It's a very intuitive product, that make training new staff a breeze

What do you dislike?

That it is not used as much as Autocad, more people don't know how good it is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth a look and test drive you won't be disapointed.

Coordinates well with other software, and it makes it easy to use with other engineering companies.

DataCAD review by User in Internet

"DataCAD Review"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Interface is solid. Very satisfied.

What do you dislike?

This product is unfortunately taking too much of my machine's resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make it take up less resources.

None. Just using it for school

User in Architecture & Planning

"28 years of use in the architectural field"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and that it is geared towards architects, simple but powerful program.

What do you dislike?

could use better 3d capabilities and rendering

Recommendations to others considering the product

a great powerful program and easy to use

working drawings ease to put together with clarity

User in Architecture & Planning

"I have been using it for 20 years! I would not use anything else!"

What do you like best?

It is designed by an Architect for Architecture! The ease of training employees who have had no experience w/ DataCad is unbelievable.

What do you dislike?

I would have said the 3-d aspects of the program several years ago, but they have come a long way with the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will not get a better value for your money invested!

Design problems w/ clients on Custom homes. The production time is minimal when producing working drawings

DataCAD review by Consultant in Construction
Consultant in Construction

"RSM"

What do you like best?

easy to work with, easy to print compared to autocad

What do you dislike?

Lack of hands on training, lack of a Canadian contact

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes! but look at the training

nil

Learning about DataCAD?

* We monitor all DataCAD reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.