DataCore SANsymphony

SANsymphony-V solves the “Big Problem” standing in the way of your virtualization projects.

Work for DataCore SANsymphony?

Learning about DataCore?

DataCore SANsymphony Reviews

Ask DataCore a Question
Showing 18 DataCore reviews
DataCore review by Fernando V.
Fernando V.

"Software Defined Storage - easy as pie"

What do you like best?

The software is easy to install, easy to manage and is stable. The company has been using this product for almost two decades now and have very few issues. Our downtime is almost zero for volumes served to our customers. The application is windows based and functions really well, very stable. I don't have to think about redundancy, having two systems built to mirror each other takes care of that. If one side is down, customers stay connected on the secondary active side.

What do you dislike?

The software is windows based. It would be nice if linux was supported. Not a negative, but stability has improved with the current windows versions. Console may feel dated. Maybe design a snap-in style console/manager where I can organize the most commonly used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, you won't go back when you see how flexible the product is.

When we look for hardware, we are not locked in to any particular solution. We have the flexibility to mix and match hardware platforms, like flash, spinning disks. We can choose vendors based on what's most beneficial to the company instead of what they are promoting as the next greatest thing. Because we don't rely on the hardware our active active services come from the software and not the hardware. This keeps our solution flexible.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DataCore SANsymphony
DataCore review by Cal L.
Cal L.

"Brilliant SAN Software"

What do you like best?

SANSymphony provides 100% uptime from it's mirrored disks and redundant paths.This means that maintenance can be performed at any time on disk subsystems without interruption to business systems. This coupled with it's vendor agnostic hardware support, speed from it's data caching and easy to administer interface make it an excellent product for data storage. Datacore support is very good, they have a very quick response times and good diagnostics are built right into the software to analyse any issues that may occur. I've found a lot of support is also offered outside the scope of SANSymphony, for instance host configuration tips and they showed me a brilliant reference in their knowledge base for fibre optic grades recently - not something I'd expect a software vendor to offer!

What do you dislike?

Having to calculate virtual disk sizes when provisioning disks to prevent over subscription of disk pools can be a little tricky, but I believe this is more an issue with disk geometry than SANSymphony itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend SANSymphony primarily on the basis of it being vendor agnostic. In the past I have worked for a company that invested in Netapp for a particular purose. When the need has come to expand and all of the drive bays have become occupied we were stuck in a situation where we needed to buy another shelf and disks - this was costly and lost effiency. With SANSymphonys versatile approach this isn't an issue, virtually any hardware can be used and it's auto tiering mechanisms can be used to optimise the location of 'hot' data.

I work at all levels of computing abstraction, and although I can get into the bowels of some of our heavier apps and tune processes, procedures and SQL statements. There are some apps however that cannot be tuned due to their closed source nature. SANSymphony alleviates inefficiencies in poorly written software by providing a lightening fast storage system.

What Hybrid Cloud Storage solution do you use?

DataCore review by Maxence V.
Maxence V.

"Secure and speed up your storage with Datacore"

What do you like best?

Datacore Sansymphony allow fast access to your storage and you can aggregate all your old storage bay.

It can replicate your data between server on other sites.

Integration with vsphere is very easy and replicated connections are well managed.

What do you dislike?

The console is not user friendly, I prefer web based administration in html5.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check before what you realy need to put in fast storage and what can go in cold storage in your organisation.

Datacore is a good solution but for application that needs fast access, for achive datacire is expensive.

Our database application were slow with big querys, now, user can easily work on BI applications.

After all, datacore is not very expensive, support contacts with other storage providers are expensive too.

DataCore review by Stefan L.
Stefan L.

"Implementaton of a mirrored Storage for virtual Servers (VMware)"

What do you like best?

With datacore we have a redundant storage, so we have a higher availability of our virtual servers.

It is a very stable and product with good performance. Since installation, the system runs stable without any problems until now.

What do you dislike?

One time we had lost the communication between the hardware servers and after that we needed the datacore support to bring the mirror back online.

The support was good and fast, but I wish there would be a better functionality to bring back the system online without support.

But as the failure was not datacores fault (was a hardware issue) and apart from this we never needed their support it is not a bis problem

Recommendations to others considering the product

- implemation with a good Datcore partner

We gain a higher availability and flexibility for our server systems and as a lot of our employees can't work without the servers the system hopefully saves us time and money.

DataCore review by Jay M.
Jay M.

"SANsymphony in a nutshell"

What do you like best?

The software is very intuitive and smart. All features are logical and can be customized at will. It is very suitable to our solution as an active/active configuration.

What do you dislike?

The only downfall of software is the inability to support the users when the platform it is on is the issue. I was once let down by the datacore support team when they turn down my request to be assisted on a install that yielded an HBA issue. The fix was eventually discovered by myself as to logically install the software in a particular order.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no other choice...

I have a storage that did not have the front end to use as an API or serve with. Datacore can be use to with multiple storage mixed with multiple brand.

DataCore review by julien f.
julien f.

"The Parallel I/O Function Is Very Useful When The"

What do you like best?

Installation of this hyper-converged infrastructure in our school this summer with two servers directly attached. It works perfectly!!

The parallel I/O function is very useful when there are many requests for read/write access to the disks. The administration is simple and easy. * It is possible to create a virtual disk very easily, and moving the virtual machines is fast.

What do you dislike?

The product update system is not very simple and the administration console is a little old

DataCore SANsymphony allows us to have a reliable, fast and easy administration infrastructure. We have a reliable and secure infrastructure thanks to SANsymphony, and all at less cost.

DataCore review by Damon D.
Damon D.

"Solid solution if you want to save money on storage yet have a fully featured SAN"

What do you like best?

This solution allows the use off-the-shelf hardware and charges by the TB of storage. So we can throw in our own enterprise-class hardware (including SSDs) and not pay any extra based on the type of storage we use. This is the same model used with server virtualization. Keep the hardware separate from software. This is true "storage virtualization" at it's finest. The software over the years has matured to be a very robust and allows you to build a very high performing storage platform. It has all the features of any high-end SAN such as fibre channel, iSCSI, thin provisioning, storage tiering, snapshots, continuous data protection/recovery synchronous and asynchronous mirroring, performance reporting/graphing, true HA design.

You can utilise just about any storage you wish with this product such as another SAN, NAS, JBOD, FusionIO etc. If Windows can see it as a non-removable drive, you can use it with SANsymphony. Also, you can use this to mirror any of these various types of storage which is awesome for migration. Say you have an HP SAN and you want to migrate off it to your own JBOD type storage or you have 2 sites with 2 different storage SANs that you want to replicate data between. With DataCore, it is possible to mix and match just about any storage platform you want to use.

The system is designed to run on top of Windows Server OS (which can be virtual or physical) and can utilise the server's RAM to provide disk cache. This makes our 7.2K storage run really fast and allows us to use a bottom tier class of drive and get the performance of a much higher class of drive. Alos if we have to add capacity or replace drives we can just order replacement drives off the web saving us quite a bit of money. Of course, we still use "enterprise-class" drives but we don't pay through the nose to buy hardware. If we want to upgrade the Ethernet ports from 1Gb to 10Gb we just do it. Same goes for FC. If we want to upgrade from 4Gb FC to 16Gb, we don't have to do a forklift upgrade. We just buy the HBAs and we're off the to races.

The other great thing is DataCore keeps their product on VMware's approve HCL. So even if you have a SAN that falls off the HCL with VMware. If you put the storage behind DataCore you won't have to worry about VMware's HCL any longer. Because of this fundamental practice, DataCore was one of the first storage vendors to support vVOLs.

Support is OUTSTANDING and they release new updates and features frequently (sometimes almost too frequently).

What do you dislike?

There's very little that I can find in their software that I would say I dislike. Sometimes the updates are too frequent and just as we finish updating all our sites another update comes out. Due to the many, many various options for what hardware to use, sometimes it is difficult trying to figure out what hardware options are the best for the money. DataCore can help a bit with this but because they only are the software side of the solution they tend to not prefer one hardware vendor over another (they get along with everyone). They do have good documentation that covers known issues with various hardware items.

Currently, SANsymphony does HA with just 2 sets of mirrored drives/RAID sets over FC or iSCSI. It would be interesting to see if in the future they can stripe the data across 3 or more nodes to create an n+1 type configuration.

While their console allows you to connect to each of the nodes without closing the interface you have to log out and in when you switch between a different storage server groups. It would be nice if they had an interface more like vCenter to where you see all server group in a list and can just click on each group. It would be nice to be able to see multiple groups at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Obtain DCIE certification before installation, provide ample time for hardware testing/storage burn-in. Follow all DataCore's procedures for testing and certification the installation.

If possible, use Fibre Channel. iSCSI is OK but more complex and not as fast due to the overhead of TCP headers.

If it's a small site with only a couple of ESX hosts and 2 DataCore storage servers running in HA use direct connect Fibre Channel (FC switches are not needed for smaller configurations as long as you have enough ports. With quad-port HBAs that's easy to do).

Pick a storage server with lots of PCIe slots, decent CPUs and as much RAM as you can afford to help with disk caching.

Use a dedicated UPS on each of the storage servers to protect disk caching.

Don't bother with non-mirrored drives. At this cost, HA is the only way to go in my book.

Flexibility, performance and cost savings are the three biggest benefits for us. For sure, we would not have been able to afforded to virtualize all our locations without this product.

DataCore review by User

"Awesome!"

What do you like best?

I love this program because of the great speed and how much memory it holds, great addition to any company to hold tons of important data and documents important to keep a business growing and updated! I would love to see another version of this because it has been so helpful to me and others I would love to see it grow into a must need program for business needs, I think its helpful and will help my company grow and succeed to its financial expectations, I think that if you want to commit to one program this would be it. You wont be disappointed with its speed and data memory of the program, I would give this a try and recommend to all business need!

What do you dislike?

I love everything about this program! I would recommend it to everyone even small company's will find it helpful to be able to keep updated information! I cant think of anything else, that would make this program better so, I would say this is one program that I cant think of anything that I dislike about it but, there's always way to improve and make a program better so, I would just add to make an updated version because it would make companies jobs easier with this awesome data core and it may fix just general issues if you are a bigger company that would need to save more and detailed information that would not fit on this program but, other than that it fits my company and clients needs where it will keep me from having issues with not enough data being able to fit in an organized way to access it easier so, I don't know what I would do without this awesome program!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend others to use it on a trial basis and see how great this program is then buy if It fits companies expectations.

The benefits being solved with Data Core would be when you have issues with keeping documents and important information saved in one program this will solve that problem and keep everything in a detailed and easy to use program.

DataCore review by Brent E.
Brent E.

"DataCore SanSymphony Review"

What do you like best?

Storage protection, geographic features, caching, use whatever storage equipment you can find

What do you dislike?

We've had issues with Microsoft's iSCSI interface, buffer iSCSI resets, some issues with the software crashing-which primarily have been resolved. We had a ticket that was a year + opened.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have familiarity with Microsoft iSCSI. Have backdoors implemented in-case of a complete DataCore failure. Keep updated on patches. Have good cabling, switching & routing infrastructure in place and this should ensure a good environment.

Geographic Distant Data Centers, storage redundancy

DataCore review by Michael L.
Michael L.

"Satisfied DataCore SAN Symphony customer"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and intuitive interface. Very solid and stable environment. Relatively trouble free and low maintenance.

What do you dislike?

One has to be smarter than me to configure some of the networking. That's not a real high bar........

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate to use support. Everyone we've worked with so far has been very professional, thorough and knowledgeable about the product.

We like the ability to manage our virtual environment seamlessly.We also like the rock solid and relatively trouble free environment.

DataCore review by Administrator in Defense & Space
Administrator in Defense & Space

"DataCore provided high performance storage for over 300 developer virtual machines in our datacenter"

What do you like best?

Software-defined storage is the future. By decoupling the hardware from the storage software, we were able to choose the best hardware at the lowest price while ensuring enterprise-grade storage was provided to our end users. The in-memory mirroring from DataCore allows for incredible performance with all-SATA mixed SSD/HDD drive configurations where other products simply do not perform.

What do you dislike?

Understanding the reasons behind a windows-only solution, which ensures maximum compatibility with a variety of hardware, a linux-based solution would have been nice as it aligns with a lot of our existing automation tools such as Ansible (most of our roles/plays are already written for Linux). The limitations behind an HA-paring (mirroring) of nodes could also be better suited by a distributed mesh topology, similar to SolidFire and ScaleIO, to allow for better recovery from a degraded state and scalable performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work closely with your DataCore rep to make sure performance requirements are understood to properly identify drive types/sizes within each tier. Make sure to fully understand some of the limitations of tiering vs all-Flash solutions, regardless of what any vendor says.

The ability to right-size a storage cluster based on current need and grow as required lowers the total cost of ownership to our business. With a traditional SAN we are often required to purchase upfront all storage, plus special-purpose controllers, in order to satisfy the performance needs of our users. By growing as required we save money and get the performance we need when we need it.

DataCore review by Tommy B.
Tommy B.

"This is a good SAN alternative"

What do you like best?

You take your cheap server, add cheap hard drive, and create a low-level SAN. A lot of enterprise feature

What do you dislike?

The tiering work like crap. You need a lot of SSD disk to use the tiering. You can have a lot of tier level, but the first level of SSD needs to handle the full mapping. If you don't have any SSD, don't use tiering! I tried using 15k, 10k and 7.2k drives, and it was SO SLOW! faster to have only 7.2k drives.

It is very expansive, better to go with a real SAN for better value and performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need cheap storage, it MAY be an option, but if you want advanced feature, with PERFORMANCE, it's not cheap.

One of the key feature is creating a lot of tier. If you can afford TB of SSD, you can than create tier with 15k, 10k, 7.2k, NAS, Cloud, etc. Meaning that your unused files will move to the archive without having anything to do... very NICE!

We want a lot of non-expansive disk spaces. SANsymphony is supposed to make it possible.

DataCore review by Kevin  B.
Kevin B.

"Datacore is an incredible good solution"

What do you like best?

My company change our it infrastructure and we make the choice to go with Datacore SANsymphony. It's a very good experience and the support are very reactive and serious. The availibility is improve by this solution and end user like performance improve too.

What do you dislike?

Nothing for the moment It's a recent installation for our company.

Availibility with the vSAN.

DataCore review by Administrator

"A great product that will benefit any organization "

What do you like best?

The ease with which I can create and manage storage for my entire network from one easy to use interface.

What do you dislike?

The only area I see lacking with DataCore is there support. Its not very good at all and is, frankly, very frustrating and has almost caused me to swear off the product. Although the product itself (especially when working) is developed and runs so well I keep using it.

We are using DataCore to increase I/O, to more flexibly utilize storage and to provide a robust offsite replication solution.

DataCore review by Administrator in Public Policy
Administrator in Public Policy

"Probably the best rated software we use in our company"

What do you like best?

DataCore SANsymphony gives us independency from storage vendors. It allows our operations continue working transparently in case of multiple hardware failures.

Support response is fast.

What do you dislike?

The only thing we dislike is price. Also we want new features that are not available at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Discounts when buying can be different depending on your vendor.

Ask for certified professionals for the initial installation and migration.

Ask for evaluation test installation onsite.

Business continuity, high availability and disaster recovery

DataCore review by User in Medical Practice
User in Medical Practice

"Data Core Symphony"

What do you like best?

The peace of mind that our ever growing data is protected.

What do you dislike?

The system has been very seamless for us.

We have an exponentially expanding dataset which needs to be safe, secure and accessible to multiple locations at the same speed up and down the coast of California. Datacore has provided us the foundation we need for this endeavor.

DataCore review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Affordable, powerful, flexible."

What do you like best?

Flexibility of using own hardware, resulting lower TCO. Very powerful for price point. Ease of use.

What do you dislike?

Support requires interaction with multiple vendors (can't be helped!)

High performance, multi-site, DR.

DataCore review by User

"The best solution of Application Adaptive Data Management platform"

What do you like best?

Performance, stability, scalability and flexibility

What do you dislike?

Really nothing..............................

SANsymphony is a really adaptive solution and address any business storage need.

Learning about DataCore SANsymphony?

* We monitor all DataCore SANsymphony reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.