DataGrip

DataGrip is a cross-platform IDE for databases & SQL.

Work for DataGrip?

Learning about DataGrip?

DataGrip Reviews

Ask DataGrip a Question
Showing 14 DataGrip reviews
DataGrip review by Aaron S.
Aaron S.

"My GOTO IDE for interacting with MySQL and Redshift"

What do you like best?

This is the database IDE I've been waiting for. Excellent navigation between different data sources, each with different underlying storage engines. The tab completion is excellent. Built in handy functionality like exporting queries to CSV, or easily importing CSVs to table. Output log with transaction time is helpful as well. Also love that my keyboard shortcuts form other JetBrains IDEs work here.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can take a while to start up on my computer. Also every now and then I encounter weird errors copy/pasting the data. For example copying a query from the slow query log may result in the hex (which I then convert) instead of the text, or values for really large numbers are showed with some precision dropped. Also consoles get left open and sometimes I may have a bunch of consoles I've forgotten about.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have a 30 day trial--use all of it. There can be a bit of a learning curve but once you get there its a fantastic tool.

Interacting with multiple databases, including RedShift--which DataGrip has made really easy.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DataGrip
DataGrip review by Eric B.
Eric B.

"Excellent Database IDE"

What do you like best?

The data grip interface is very user friendly compared to Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio. The database object autofill is extremely helpful when writing queries, and I haven't found another database IDE with object autofill that is as fast. The ability to automatically generate database diagrams is extremely useful if you are a spacial-visual learner. I also really like the fact that I can search table names easily by clicking a table name from the list and just starting to type.

What do you dislike?

I've noticed that sometimes the object autofill doesn't automatically filter down to a specific database when you open a console for a specific database on an environment. Similarly, if you pick a database for a console in the upper right with the dropdown list, I find that I still need to type 'USE [database_name]' and run before the object autofill will work. This is a small gripe since this is something you would normally have to do anyway with SSMS and others. Also, finding database triggers is a little tricky since they are not categorized into folders - you must know the table they reside in and find them in the table list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend you try DataGrip. For users less technical than database admins or developers, DataGrip offers some user-friendly features that make quickly accessing data and writing queries very easy. My company's database admins also use DataGrip on their mobile machines when working remotely because it is battery efficient and easy to use.

Most of my client services and professional services team has switched to data grip because it is much easier to use than competitors like RazorSQL with the object autofill. We have to frequently query our databases to pull up information and sometimes write to the database. Most of us have SQL experience but not all are experts on the database structure. Furthermore, with different environments having different builds, DataGrip makes it easy to autofill things like tables and columns that might be different from one database build to the next (rather than remembering differences in our heads).

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

"Great Database Tool"

What do you like best?

The feature set in DataGrip is fantastic! It brings the 5 different databases I work with over 30+ instances into one convenient place. All with the same set of features from the client software. Being able to have multiple consoles per DB instance all with independent.

Additionally, the software updates are quite frequent and bring more enhancements and functionality. Which gives users a real reason to renew your subscription each year. Unlike other packages who offer subscriptions with little value to no value add beyond maintaining the software.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve of the feature set can be a little steep at first. Finding where to click in the UI or what menu a particular feature is listed under. However, once you play around and get familiar with it it gets to be much easier to work with.

When we are working across multiple types of database and DB instances there are many different tools to use. Each flavor having its own toolsets and quirks. DataGrip has the majority of these tools/features in one package which helps our team get work done faster and with fewer errors. Additionally, when we have new employees join the team there is only one Database tool to train them on which minimizes ramp-up time.

DataGrip review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great IDE for databases however, with some misses"

What do you like best?

Goes well with other JetBrains products, therefore, minimal learning curve

Consumes lesser memory in comparison to other SQL development tools

Supports most of the relational DBs including H2 in-memory

Overall look and feel and the ability to add community plugins

What do you dislike?

No query designer

Table visualization is not great. It's fine if you have a few tables not really meant to see the entire modeling.

No query optimization on the fly. There are explain plans available but nothing compared to what Toad will give you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it's a great SQL development tool to get started especially if you are into JetBrains Suite, however, if you plan on using it for SQL heavy development, this may not be what you are looking for. Pricing is somewhat expensive but gets better if you plan on having a perpetual license. But I would want to see the roadmap for the product before I plan to invest in it.

Data modeling

Stored procedures

Executing general queries

Importing of data

DataGrip review by User in Information Services
User in Information Services

"Datagrip - A great tool for SQL"

What do you like best?

Datagrip has amazing features. It is very useful to connect to databases and write SQL code in datagrip. Its extremely user interactive and has intricate features which are really helpful. There are great features where you can just type the table name anywhere and it shows the various options

What do you dislike?

Better search features could be implemented. Not that many tools have it. But if integrated into DataGrip, it would be useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend the product for people who are looking for a software to play around with SQL. Extremely user friendly and compact!

It is used for data manipulation and data validation. Data sits in the database and Datagrip is used to access the data and get insights out of it. It is an extremely useful tool for quick data work.

DataGrip review by Angelic T.
Angelic T.

"Great product for database management"

What do you like best?

I really like the auto-complete options for tables and rows that are being referenced. This allows us to have inexperienced users feel more comfortable making simple and complex sql calls. I also like that I can have multiple endpoints configured and easily toggle between the two. Also, making updates in the results view saves my team from making additional calls to update records.

What do you dislike?

A few of our team members are on the trial version. I wish this allowed them to be logged in longer but I understand.

We are not relying on database management experts to make our simple calls and updates, I can empower our team to do these instead.

DataGrip review by Duncan H.
Duncan H.

"Good workbench for querying"

What do you like best?

The autofill feature is nice and works so much better than SQL server management studio.

What do you dislike?

The setup initially is a little tricky and could require some help from your server team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have love for a way better intellisense, then this product will get the job done. If you are fine without that feature, whatever workbench you are using will be just fine.

Querying with this makes life a little easier when you have multiple servers that come from different database types. You can query from redshift, mysql, snowflake, etc.

DataGrip review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Great for running SQL tests!"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of this program and the suggestions when you have an error.

What do you dislike?

I would like more information on errors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a bit of a learning curve if you've never used anything like it before, but once you learn it, it's a huge resource.

I use DataGrip to test my queries before writing reports, it's a good way to see small sections of code.

DataGrip review by User in Financial Services

"Good tool for SQL data access"

What do you like best?

Ability to connect to multiple databases and dialects and ease of switching between them

What do you dislike?

Can feel overengineered for more junior or less experienced users that are new to SQL/data analysis

Ability to retrieve data from various databases that are used (Postgres Production, Postgres ETL, Redshift). This allows me and my team to gain valuable insights into how our Product is functioning and where we can make improvements.

DataGrip review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Works as Advertised"

What do you like best?

Connections allow you to filter what schemata you can explore. This filters out admin schemata if you do not want to explore them. This does simple data migration. Ssh tunnel settings are super easy to use. Familiar navigation for WebStorm or IntelliJ users.

What do you dislike?

I miss having advanced features like schema comparison and upgrade and complex test data generation features. I am comparing to RedGate and SQL Management Studio.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare this to PGAdmin 4

We have moved from self hosted MongoDb and SQL Server to AWS hosted PostgreSQL. We needed a decent tool for SSH tunneling into our database to look at data.

DataGrip review by Consultant in Marketing and Advertising
Consultant in Marketing and Advertising

"Incredibly efficient for building and reviewing databases"

What do you like best?

Integration with database platforms. I use this to interact with PostgreSQL and MySQL databases and it is incredibly easy for a beginner to setup tables and relationships.

What do you dislike?

No quick logins with AWS. It would be great to login with an AWS accounts and pull all RDS instances under the account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s a great tool to use with AWS and for rapid prototyping.

The ability to modify and backup your database quickly in a GUI has made this more valuable than any other similar tools like MYSQL Workbench.

DataGrip review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software

"DataGrip"

What do you like best?

It detects probable bugs in the code and suggests the best option to fix them

What do you dislike?

It has issue with auto complete and there is no. way to simplify database connection management in case you have more than connections.

DataGrip provides robust tools that streamline SQL code writing and make entire process more efficient

"DataGrip Solid"

What do you like best?

Sees my databases (mostly via jdbc) and info needed

What do you dislike?

No current bigquery support, that'd be great once ready.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a try

running queries

"Very helpful product"

What do you like best?

It’s ability to connect to all types of data souecws

What do you dislike?

It’s ability to operate on multi screens

DB maintainance

Learning about DataGrip?

* We monitor all DataGrip reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.