Debian

Debian is an operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run , at the core of an operating system is the kernel.

Work for Debian?

Learning about Debian?

Compare Debian to Similar Solutions

Debian Reviews

Showing 14 Debian reviews
Debian review by <span>Olimar P.</span>
Olimar P.

Debian the distribution of the free software community

What do you like best?

is an open source distribution, stable and highly respected in the world free software community, has more than one million contributors and is the basis of many other distributions such as ubuntu or canaima. It is easy to configure and with many predefined options according to use: for servers, personal computer, mail server, etc. It is very difficult to include "back doors" because it has a large global community of programmers and users with access to all the source code of its components, which are continuously evaluating them. The support of a large number of members, companies that provide software for this distribution, makes it the best open source alternative for quick solutions, with great support from the community for the solution of installation, configuration or security problems of its components. It has 25 years of evolution and is, without exaggeration, the most beloved of the Linux-based distributions,. It is the precursor of the package management system that allows to install software packages with a high degree of reliability in the compatibility of versions of the components, which allows a high degree of reliability and recovery in case of failures. Thanks Ian!.

What do you dislike?

the packages should be updated in less time, perhaps the policy of maintainers should be more flexible

Recommendations to others considering the product

for services that need an operating system with good performance in high availability, use Debian

all server for my solutions use Debian, the last is a web project with Django for e-learning

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Debian
Debian review by <span>Marisela L.</span>
Marisela L.

Ease and robustness in only one.

What do you like best?

I love the ease and fluidity with which you can use the debian terminal and install the packages you need to use, with a simple apt-get or aptitude you can install packages to use in your day to day work, it also contains a variety of graphic environments beautiful and easy to use, its main advantage is to be a free software for those people who use free software in their debian jobs is an excellent option.

What do you dislike?

For people who do not have knowledge in Linux it is very difficult to use, often has problems with some dependencies of some packages and a more manual installation process has to be done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendations is that you should have a little knowledge of linux before using this software.

In my work, it is a requirement to work with free software, this leads me to relate and learn much more about the installation of packages and the use of the shell, which I find wonderful. I am a web developer and have made many applications with my operating system debian.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Debian review by <span>Fernando M.</span>
Fernando M.

the most stable multipurpose server

What do you like best?

Your kernel can be configured for any need I require. This is useful, to optimize the operation of Linux with a processor or CPU of a particular brand. I can configure your kernel to mitigate intruciones and any type of computer attack that is made to my server. This can not be done in Windows.

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit of knowledge of Linux for its implementation, to use it at your convenience install packages, change repositories, in addition to lacking compatibility with some video hardware.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this operating system because it has very stable packages and its support community is very stable, they are always attentive and willing to help.

currently our servers use deboan in especil the web services, we use debian for its stability and robustness, it should be noted that once optimized your kernel works great for the tasks that are configured.

Debian review by <span>yesika m.</span>
yesika m.

the server more stable and strong.

What do you like best?

without any doubt having the most stable repositories, gives an advantage and security when putting applications into our servers, security through rules, configured in an efficient way, optimizes even more stable performance than this system operative provides.

What do you dislike?

to configure the kernel, and tune it at our will requires an advanced knowledge in the administration of this operating system by command line, we must have a prior knowledge of linux in order to achieve these important configurations for the security of our server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend its use in server environment is very robust flexible, adaptable and fast, also has a wide range of stable repositories.

currently we use debian, for our virtual servers running in different types of services, such as sftp servers, web servers and anti DDOS rules with IPTABLES.

Debian review by <span>carmen b.</span>
carmen b.

debian stable packages.

What do you like best?

I like debian because it is available for more architecture of processors, as much as 32 bits as 64 bits, has the ability to have very stable and robust packages, is highly customizable and has a higher performance.

What do you dislike?

debian you do not have some popular packages, for them in their repositories those popular packages are replaced, to imitate the functionalities of those described above, such as word, excel, is supplanted by free office packages among other software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

debian surpasses all distributions so well integrated are your ki packages I highly recommend, use it you will not regret it.

in the company we use debian in its server version, to deploy web services platforms and file transfer systems, working up to the moment in a very stable and secure way.

Debian review by <span>Santiago A.</span>
Santiago A.

Very efficient and stable operating system

What do you like best?

Security and stability is very important, so much so that other projects such as Ubuntu rely on Debian to build all its architecture. I recommend it because you do not have to worry about formatting every six months or for any pendrive with viruses, that does not exist in this operating system. I have been using the operating system for years and I have not had any major problems. I have had problems for drivers but thanks to the community I solve them in a short time, if yours is to save money, you can have this operating system as option number three, the first is Linux Mint and the second Ubuntu.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that you need to have medium knowledge to use it, it should be a little more friendly, maybe it is one of the secrets to maintain its high quality, but you should review that detail to gain more users. Another factor is the language, if you do not know the basics of English, you will have to work, although at present, with Google that is not very relevant but I would like to write that detail.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are starting a business or project, this operating system can save you a lot of resources, because you do not pay for use licenses, it is one of the biggest attractions you have, you just need to get familiar and ready, you can use a stable and maintained operating system for the global community without paying a dime unless you want to donate to the project.

The first thing is to rescue files that were lost when a virus fell on my other proprietary operating system. The second, being free is unlimited everything I can use. But best of all, forget about viruses and format, it's amazing how I can use the resources of my PC to the maximum.

Learning about Debian?

* We monitor all Debian reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Debian to Similar Solutions