Destiny Library Manager

3.9

Destiny Library Manager is an interactive solution that allows librarians and staff to keep real-time track of inventory and media assets and allows students digital means of discovery and reading.

Work for Destiny Library Manager?

Learning about Destiny Library Manager?

Destiny Library Manager Reviews

Showing 20 Destiny Library Manager reviews
Destiny Library Manager review by Jack R.
Jack R.

"Destiny Library Manager Provides a Good Solution for Schools"

What do you like best?

As the access and management is web-based, it is easy to maintain and provide access to students and faculty. Mobile app makes it convenient for our students to access resources on their iPads.

What do you dislike?

The server application requires a bit of a tedious process to update. Importing user accounts requires an application to convert data from a CSV. It would be better if the server could handle that during the upload rather than a separate application. There should be more fields for student data. Library Media Specialist would like to be able to contact parents, but limited field options make it difficult to import all parent emails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider all the cost, as many modules have additional fees associated with their user. Also consider the tedious data import process for importing students each year.

Destiny provides a comprehensive solution to managing all aspects of a modern library, including digital resources, textbook and asset management, as well as a full complement of functions to run the daily library tasks.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Destiny Library Manager
Destiny Library Manager review by Terica B.
Terica B.

"Good but could be better"

What do you like best?

Friendly customer service agents make it easy to get assistance. I never have to wait on hold and I have always gotten an answer. It is an easy to use system that offers many features for both our students, teachers and library managers. We love that our students can use the school id to quickly check in/out books and resources.

What do you dislike?

Although the implementation was pretty painless, when I started to use more features, it was difficult understanding the online help documentation. I feel there not quite complete and need more screenshots. My tech department is having a hard time understanding how to integrate with google to keep our students updated in the system so I have been doing manual updates with imports, but that is a lengthy process with several steps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have your librarians fully involved in setup and get training. Implement in early spring.

This system offers many more features for our students and teachers that we did not have before. Having online access that students can quickly see if books are available is wonderful. We are not incorporating ebooks as well. We love sending email overdue notices to our students and their parents.

What Library Management solution do you use?

Destiny Library Manager review by Administrator

"Great resource but tricky for young users"

What do you like best?

I think Destiny is fantastic as a platform that combines a book catalog, circulation system, and report generator. I love that I can switch seamlessly between uses. As an administrator who is trained to use the system, it has a plethora of useful features. I use the following the most: circulation of library books, running patron check out/overdue reports, using the catalog to locate materials.

What do you dislike?

I find it difficult for younger users to find books in the Destiny catalog because it requires spelling to be almost exact. Destiny is not good at guessing what a user might mean when the spelling is incorrect or the title should have a space in it. For example, the book Dog Man cannot be found by searching for Dogman. Also, when a student searches for a book by title, I want a one word title to show up first in their results. For example, if they search for the book Wonder by title, I want it to be the first result, not somewhere on the second page after a bunch of books that have Wonder somewhere in their longer title.

We do need a way to catalog and circulate all of the books in our library. Destiny Library Manager definitely works better than a pencil and paper.

Destiny Library Manager review by Katy S.
Katy S.

"Destiny is a great Library Management System"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that my students can search for books on their own. They can search for books that are similar to ones they have read, and make checkout and hold requests from their computers.

What do you dislike?

There is actually not much I dislike about Destiny. I have a few audiobooks for my students to check out from Destiny Discover. There are a too many steps they must take to get back to the audiobooks once they have logged out of Destiny. It would be nice if they did not have to go all the way back in to Destiny Discover to access them.

It manages my entire catalog. All of the books I have purchased are accounted for.

Destiny Library Manager review by Twila C.
Twila C.

"Destiny for your library"

What do you like best?

Destiny is very user friendly! Users are able to search for books using keywords, titles, authors. Users can serach other library catalogs that are affiliated. Users can see if a book is available, when it will be availablem where in the library it is located, how many copies are in the library. It offers suggestions for other books the user may enjoy.

What do you dislike?

Destiny, is like any other software, only as accurate as the administrator. It is very easy to miss checking in a book so users may not know it is available. I don't like that when you want to reserve a book, you have to know the trick of "this" copy or any copy. This sometimes causes a dely in checking out materials

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product. Easy to use.

Solves the problem of relying on a paper system or individual database. I enjoy that I can see, from anywhere I can use the internet, if a book is available. I also like that it suggests alternatives.

Destiny Library Manager review by Leah L.
Leah L.

"Destiny Gets it Done"

What do you like best?

My library could not run without Destiny. While I haven’t had the opportunity to use other softwares, I find Destiny to be veryy user friendly. If I have an issue, it’s usually resolved quickly.

What do you dislike?

I found it hard to change the profile pic. Sometimes some of the things I need to get to are hidden within tabs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think others should get this product. I’m on several librarian groups on social media. The majority of them use Destiny.

The software keeps my library runnninv efficiently. I do not know what I would do without it! There was a period of a few days when our district was offline due to an outside virus and so I had no access to Destiny. The library basically shut down at that point.

Destiny Library Manager review by Administrator

"Managing your library collection and circulation made easy."

What do you like best?

While not the most intuitive interface on the backside, end users report an easy experience finding items within the collection. My favorite features (besides report generation) is the ability to tie in digital resources (ebooks, digital audiobooks) and online resources.

What do you dislike?

There is definitely a learning curve to set up, including set up of new features. Online instructions are not always correct.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tech support is exemplary. Be sure to take advantage of that and the many software updates. Both make a real difference. Online guides are often not helpful; directions do not always reflect what is actually on your screen, and I'm very good at following step-by-step instructions.

Streamlining student research experience: searching for a book leads to discovering a database or website. Ease of use = increased use. Inventory control has been very easy to implement and maintain with this system.

Destiny Library Manager review by Craig B.
Craig B.

"Functional Library Automation System"

What do you like best?

We've been Destiny customers since 2010 and we've had very few problems. The system is reliable and has great uptime. Our teacher librarians are very comfortable working with it as well. I really appreciate the fact that I don't have to maintain or manage local hardware/software.

What do you dislike?

I wish that there was stronger integration of ebooks and other digital media. This is not entirely a problem with Destiny. But, it would be great if they had better relationships with digital content providers so the end user experience was more streamlined.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work closely with librarians to ensure a smooth implementation.

Library automation and digital content repository.

Destiny Library Manager review by Herring M.
Herring M.

"Great Library Manager for your school needs"

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of use. It was an adjustment going from one LM system to this but it was easy to get the hang of it. I like the mass change feature. For example, if I need to change mulitple records or add to multiple records I can. I don't have to change each one individual. I like the library reports I can do for circulation and for inventory. I also like that I don't have to use other software to help with MARC records. I can use any operating system to run the program because it is web-based.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I have to print spine and barcode labels for a book individually and not on the same sheet and together. I don't like that I can't use a label maker printer and print one barcode at a time. I have to use sheet fed labels only.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the reports and cataloging suggestions.

Destiny helps with maintaining a library's inventory, book records, and circulation of books, equipment, etc. Benefits have been changing mass records, ease of adding new books to the collection and getting rid of books out of the collection. I like the reports better using this Library manager than the other system I used.

Destiny Library Manager review by Button S.
Button S.

"Good For School Libraries"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you can tailor the reports to fit your needs.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there are so many steps to get to what I need to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this software to school librarians. It makes it easy to track usage, keeps up with student information, tracks inventory, age of collection, weeded items, etc.

It allows me to keep up with students and staff members who have chronically overdue materials. It also gives me the option to email parents or students to remind them of overdue materials.

Destiny Library Manager review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Destiny is very easy to use and troubleshoot. Adding books to catalogue is particularly easy. All you need to do is scan the ISBN number and select the book from a database. It's also very easy to check out materials. Arrange your students by homeroom, and you can check them out with ease.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to figureo out how to look at overdue books for a particular homeroom. Whenever I run the report, I end up getting all over due books.

Using this software allows you to keep track of overdue materials and to catalogue materials with call numbers that are particular to your library. This allows me to organize the library in the way that I choose.

Destiny Library Manager review by Bridget C.
Bridget C.

"The Ideal Catalog"

What do you like best?

The product makes cataloging items very easy, and for any processes that aren’t immediately clear, they have the most stellar customer support I’ve ever encountered.

What do you dislike?

Navigation isn’t always straightforward and occasionally the browser-based setup makes life harder.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don’t hesitate to use Destiny

Cataloging library items is easy with Destiny, and I’ve noticed that it makes it easy to see what’s cataloged improperly and fix these items.

Destiny Library Manager review by Gracie C.
Gracie C.

"Using destiny everyday :)"

What do you like best?

It has the capability of storing and organizing a wide range of information.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the reports it generates. It has opportunity to streamline some information within the "patron".

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are dependent on reports, you may want to seek other resources.

We have the ability to track all of our technology and library books. We have realized the benefits of customizing a few features.

Destiny Library Manager review by Heather L.
Heather L.

"In need of a major overhaul. Not suited for younger patrons."

What do you like best?

A new feature of Destiny Library Manager is the Universal Search option. This feature allows a user to search books, eBooks and subscription databases. If you purchase books from Follett Titlewave, MARC records can be easily added to your collection with a few simple clicks. The help forum is also very beneficial and covers a wealth of information and topics.

Destiny Library Manager allows you to have tiered user access privileges. This is beneficial if you have an IT director, multiple librarians, library support staff, and volunteers. The multiple account levels allow for everyone to have access to the administrative side of Destiny, with limited access to features that would cause error on the system.

What do you dislike?

The interface for Destiny Library Manager is beyond outdated. In a K-12 environment where students are always choosing something by its visual appearance, Destiny falls way behind. For our elementary students, Destiny is awful at forgiving spelling errors. If it is relatively close to the correct spelling, a very small dialogue box appears saying "did you mean...", but it is so small that it is often overlooked by students. I also greatly dislike the way Destiny marks the availability of books. Unlike Destiny Quest (its parallel interface for younger users), Destiny shows availability in terms of 0 of 1 available. While this isn't an issue for our upper elementary students, our younger students had difficulty understanding this. I much prefer Destiny Quests feature of "in" or "out". The icons for Category View look like they are from Word 95 clip art.

Although Destiny markets the ability to copy catalog, unfortunately many of the records are grossly inaccurate. While I understand that Follett is not responsible for creating those records, I would appreciate some policing of the records (perhaps the ability for other users to 'flag' incorrect records for review).

The Destiny app is great for library admin, but I would like to see a better app for patrons.

Finally, I have dealt with customer service numerous times. Unfortunately, this is a day long process because I am continually passed from customer service representative to customer service representative.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although Destiny Library Manager is the largest K-12 library management software, I would strongly encourage to look at smaller competitors. Sometimes, bigger isn't better. If you're looking for a modern user experience, and a kid-friendly interface, I would look elsewhere.

We use Destiny Library Manager for our 4 libraries which serve approximately 4,000 patrons. We needed the ability to quickly catalog library resources including books, AV, equipment, and electronic resources. Destiny Library Manager is one of the largest library management systems for K-12 schools, which makes it easy for students to transfer from one school to the other without having to relearn a new system. Further, Destiny Library Manager has a lot of administrative features including tiered privileges.

Destiny Library Manager review by User in Information Technology and Services

"A few bugs but still good"

What do you like best?

I only used this for less than a year but i really liked that we were able to use a "GPS" like real time tracking of our inventory. This was an easy way to organize and understand "sales" flow. Especially cool that you can keep track of digital and print!! It has catalogue management, barcode scanning, you name it. The ease of use is also a plus.

What do you dislike?

There are a few errors, but not many. The main ones are that the server lags and the lack of support. They could do better with product support and availability. The interface is also not very appealing to myself or younger users ---- as another reviewer had said ----- 90's clip art as icons, lol ----- need to update a LOT.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to navigate and is a widely used program ---- worked for follet corp and we used this

inventory management is really the main use of this product--- shows inventory as 1 or 0 --- wish they would change this

Destiny Library Manager review by Sheri D.
Sheri D.

"Destiny for school libraries"

What do you like best?

Destiny is a great resource, it enables me to analyze my collection and make relevant, campus-specific choices for my stakeholders. It gives me access to professional reviews to assist in my collection development and has tools to determine which Dewey areas need updating.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a better recommendation system for items within genres.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great, good support, intuitive tools, has strong circ and collection dev./analisys capabilities.

More rigorous and relevant collection development

Destiny Library Manager review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Small school library"

What do you like best?

Ease of use for the administrator. It's easy to add items to inventory and easy for my assist to check them out. Both in library and textbook mode.

What do you dislike?

Difficulty for students/teachers to search remotely

Inventory of library/media/textbook

Destiny Library Manager review by Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education
Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"Destiny for Elementary Library"

What do you like best?

Data storage and record keeping. Library catalog and detailed laptop information .

What do you dislike?

I dont like the small font and the inability to enlarge student photos because they are hard to see on a small screen. I don't like the reports system on this software.

Fine for lost equipment and lost books. I've realized the benefits of keeping track of school books and equipment in one place.

Destiny Library Manager review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Destiny Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use! It is very user friendly!

What do you dislike?

I think that the interface could use an update. It looks somewhat outdated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very user friendly and a good choice for a school library system.

I like that I can use title wave online and it is linked to my destiny manager. It is helpful when it comes to book ordering and keeping track of my inventory.

Destiny Library Manager review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Destiny Library Manager"

What do you like best?

This is a good automation system for an elementary library.

What do you dislike?

Does not offer a very good metadata options on the catalog searches,

Simple to master

Learning about Destiny Library Manager?

* We monitor all Destiny Library Manager reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.