DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean provides the best tools to control your virtual server in the cloud. Learn how we deliver the most intuitive interface and features so you can start building your web infrastructure today.

Work for DigitalOcean?

Learning about DigitalOcean?

DigitalOcean Reviews

Showing 151 DigitalOcean reviews
DigitalOcean review by <span>martin l.</span>
martin l.

Fast but Not cheap

Validated Review
What do you like best?

the performance of the servers is really great, they are fast and powerful. used it to host my domain and the speed of the loading is really impressive. the customer service is also great,, usually, they respond within minutes to your queries. The setup of the servers and interface is also great and noobie friendly. back in the time, i didn't know much about cloud computing but the way around digital ocean was so easy and i had no trouble navigating or setting up the servers. another great thing with Digital Ocean was the Free trial offer that allows users to test their server for a period of 60 days. I too started out with their Free trial and really liked the performance provided by them. they also have a lot of servers all across the globe to choose from.

What do you dislike?

the billing is really troublesome, sometimes it works sometimes it won't, it's really frustrating. another problem with the digital ocean is with the web console, it always fails when I try to log in and eventually contacted the support and got it fixed. the pricing is not the cheapest, you can get servers with same specifications for a cheaper price from competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

they are fast but not the cheapest. so choose according to your need.

Hosting my websites on Cloud, the servers are really fast and my website loads much faster after moving to the digital ocean.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DigitalOcean
DigitalOcean review by <span>John R.</span>
John R.
Validated Review

The Best Cloud Service out There.

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I started out using Digital Ocean through their free Credit Promotion which offered $50 towards using their Servers. It tried it for about a month and my website never went down a single minute while I'm with them so I decided to choose their servers to host my website permentanly.. the performance of the servers is of superior quality. also, the customer support provided by the digital ocean is quite satisfactory. they used to respond to any queries within minutes.

What do you dislike?

THe cost, Comparing to other cloud providers out in the market, the service provided by Digital ocean is a bit Costly that for someone starting out their business it can be a burden on them. I had few troubles with them at the beginning, once they put my account on hold because they thought that something was suspicious of the account and they resolved it within few minutes, another issue I had with them is with the interface also the options provided by them is so confusing that as a noob i had few trouble setting up my servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its one of the faster servers in the market. you won't be disappointed.

Cloud servers used to host my websites and create regular backups.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) solution do you use?

DigitalOcean review by <span>Gareth E.</span>
Gareth E.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The easiest to use and the most reliable platform for hosting I have come across. I don't use anything else in my business now. Whats not to like. Easy fast deployment, amazing prices, built in dynamic scalability. Full image backups. An excellent platform I trust completely and do not see switching to anything else in the future.

What do you dislike?

I am hard pressed to dislike anything. It is all very straightforward. Being able to downsize droplets dynamically would be nice I guess. But that is an idle notion with no concept of the difficulty in facilitating that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean has been completely reliable for me, and never had any issues. Ever. Server performance and reliability are first class, and recommend these all day to anyone who listens.

Scale. Glorious scale & cost. DO allows me to work with the resources I need, and increase capacity as and when I need, without headaches.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Devon L.</span>
Devon L.

It's Amazing, Until It Isn't

Validated Review
What do you like best?

* Super easy to get up and running fast

* UI/UX is clean & intuitive

* Pricing is transparent

* Competitive entry level price point

* Only pay for what you use

What do you dislike?

* Support - It's impossible to get anyone on the phone. Tickets are answered in a 1 response every 24 hour cadence. If you're hosting a single, simple SMB website, where responsibilities are shared across a dedicated team, I can being happy with their support. They're really good at copy/pasting well written solutions to common problems. I had an SSH Key Authentication break and found it annoying that "there isn't any other authentication or access options we [DO] can offer" other than taking the server offline, removing the image, and asking me to manually redeploy from scratch. That was annoying, but I get it. Unmanaged hosting an what not. My issue was that I had to open up 4 tickets over the course of a month to get that answer. The first three were either not responded to or closed less than 24 hours after answering a question with a question. That seems to be common practice. Again, if you're sitting around at your computer just waiting for DO support to e-mail you, then that's ok. If you're spinning 14 different plates like Red Panda it's no bueno.

* No Backup/Redundancy Features! - This is reason I chose to leave a poor review. I am currently a Master's Student at Harvard and had been a relatively content DO customer for a little over 2 years. In the midst of my month long struggle inability to SSH into the root directory of my server – which was going on in the middle of finals – DO had issues processing my payment (which barring evidence to the contrary was probably my fault). I responded saying:

"I am interested in keeping my account open, but I need someone to help

identify why I can't access my server. Can you please have someone get back

to me?"

At which time, they opened up a 5th ticket and seemingly unaware of the first 4 responded with:

"Hey there, thanks for reaching out to us! What issues are you experiencing reaching the Droplet? We'd be happy to help in any way we can! :)"

At this point, I'm working 18 hours a day between work and school, and decided to deal with it the end of the month, post exams. Turns out, that was a HUGE MISTAKE! Over a outstanding balance of $23.61 they shut down my server a few days after the above exchange, sent one automated e-mail, and then wiped the server clean 2 later. 2 years of work just vanished forever, completely unrecoverable. I'm not a complete moron. I had personal backups of my major projects, but I did loose a website I created using DO's 1-click WordPress install app. Lost 100+ hours of work and generated content. That whole site was probably less than a MB. I figured they'd at least backup their word press installs the same way most other providers do. Nope.

I take responsibility for what happened. They were within their rights. I just think that's a stupid way of doing business. When I was evaluating providers in a professional capacity a few months, knowing how cavalier they are as a company towards their customers data didn't inspire a lot of confidence. 99 times out of 100 it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not risking my business on those odds.

The crazy thing to me is, I'd have paid $300 for that backup without batting an eye. I'd still do it 6 months later. Google for one understands this. Anyone notice what happens when you overload you Drive storage limits? They don't cancel your plan, delete your data, or ever stop you from uploading more. They just wait a few months until you drive folder is 370% full and then tell you your e-mail is going to stop working unless you make space or pay more money. That's smart business. And, I guarantee that when they lock user's out of their e-mail accounts they don't close the account or stop storing the data. I guarantee they keep all those e-mails as an incentive to pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure it's the right product for your use case. If you're managing a single site with a quality technical team, it's a great fit. If you're an individual or agency managing lots of projects on a single server and want the peace of mind that you can go on a month long honeymoon and not have your business wrecked by your hosting provider, I'd choose another solution. It's worth the extra pocket change. For larger tech companies, I'd suggest going with Amazon or Google, because they're need to maximize server usage doesn't outweigh their desire to protect your data and keep you happy.

I was looking for a one-stop shop location to host a myriad of personal development projects.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Malkit S.</span>
Malkit S.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Have been using DO from almost a year now and the best thing about DO is it's quite smooth and user-friendly interface which does great things behind the scene like spinning up of virtual servers for you.

Few of best things about DO:-

1. Pay as you go.

2. Increase server configuration easily

3. 2 Factor authorization.

4. Large and useful how to do documents.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they send a verification code on your email when somebody tries to log in on your behalf from remote location. Although it's a good security measure but in situations when you are traveling and your colleagues try to log in on your behalf they are left stuck.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not mature enough in managing server and have tight budget then DO is for you. Go for it you can use technical notes and how to do notes from DO which are easily available.

Our main problem was to host a product on a reliable infrastructure once it was ready. Somebody suggested DO to me and I went just to try but since after we are using this for almost every other product.

We never observed any downtime due to hardware failure and that's the best benefit we have obeserved after switching to DO.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Brian F.</span>
Brian F.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Speed of deployment and ease of use are the hallmarks of the Digital Ocean platform. Add in the image, backup and snaphots features and deploying, recovering, moving, updating and other server admin tasks are very easy and accurate.

What do you dislike?

some key features are not available in various datacenters while other features cannot be used with VM's located in different datacenters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean requires that the user have experience and skill with the deployment of servers and with Linux OS. Their help is also strictly email based and while I have experienced acceptable rates for replies, some may need a more immediate and hands on support system.

Creating a scalable, robust and flexible hosting platform for our various web based servers. We have seen significant increase in server performance and scalability with Digital Ocean versus the previous dedicated server environment.

Learning about DigitalOcean?

* We monitor all DigitalOcean reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.