DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean provides the best tools to control your virtual server in the cloud. Learn how we deliver the most intuitive interface and features so you can start building your web infrastructure today.

Work for DigitalOcean?

Learning about DigitalOcean?

DigitalOcean Reviews

Showing 171 DigitalOcean reviews
DigitalOcean review by Jared F.
Jared F.

"Amazing Experience for New Developers"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of spinning up a server on DigitalOcean is amazing. In under a couple minutes, I can SSH into a server that I have full control over. There are also awesome ways to perform backups and other redundancy features, and they provide tools (and are constantly developing new tools each year) to make development fast. My favorite tool is cloud firewalls because those save me a lot of time when spinning up new systems.

What do you dislike?

There are some key features that are currently not supported, such as having a managed PostgreSQL server. However, some of these are coming soon to the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the tutorials that DigitalOcean provides. They are amazing and helpful, and they also give you additional tips and resources to help you learn.

I created a full-stack custom web server for my investment startup, and using DigitalOcean allowed us to spin up a fully custom system with little-to-no-effort on the server management side. In addition, the DigitalOcean tutorials allowed us to push products faster than I ever could have on other platforms like AWS.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DigitalOcean
DigitalOcean review by Aaron M.
Aaron M.

"Improving company with some way to go"

What do you like best?

I like their easy to use control panel and transparent simple costs. Their new services are also great as they keep bringin out great tools that any sysadmin would be happy to have. Their one click installs to spin up severs with pre installs of variuos tools its great for people not so used to severs.

What do you dislike?

When I first started to use then in 2014 there customer service was the best. But as the compant grew that disapeared and the helpful guy on the end of the ticket service stopped being so helpful but just sending guides on how to do things. Not good if you are new to the servers. But I do understand this. I dont like however that you can only contact them via a ticket. Other services have phone customer service and thing Digital Ocean miss this

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price and simple to use UI is great and makes it the best place for companies with less sever exsperiance to start. They have great documentation and they are adding new services all the time to allow you to create really cool infastructures.

I need a way of spining up customer severs fast and have a repliable but cost efficeint service. Digital ocean was a good soloution for this. They have alot of useful guides to help people new to severs and they have a lot one click soloutions that make life easier.

What Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) solution do you use?

DigitalOcean review by Nathan B.
Nathan B.

"Awesome Customer support"

What do you like best?

the best thing and the one thing stands out from similar services out there is the customer support offered by the digital ocean. I had many troubles with WordPress and accessing the servers from the first day. the customer service was always there for me and fixed the issue each time within minutes. absolutely delighted. they also offer a free trial that gave me $50 in free credits to test their services and it lasted good 6-8 months and i have to say i'm more than impressed. the servers are fast and my website started to load with a blink of an eye. even after the trial, its really affordable and they got a plan for everybody irrespective of your budget;. all their servers are equipped with SSD's so that your servers will be blazing fast and website respond as well as loading time will be really cut down short. they also offer a wide range of operating systems and scripts for you to choose for installing on the servers. the setup of servers is also pretty quick you just need a few clicks and done. its also pretty easy to manage or destroy a server you've created. the interface sin't really complicated and most users won't have a trouble moving through the website.

What do you dislike?

they dont offer windows servers and I really find this as a downside of the host. i also had a few troubles with the SSH access.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the servers are great as well as the customer support and i highly recommend yo ut ogo with digital ocean even thou you can find cheaper services in the web.

Hosting my websites on the cloud as well as running applications on cloud servers.

DigitalOcean review by Maxim A.
Maxim A.

"Love it"

What do you like best?

Ability to deploy, upgrade or downgrade server specs as needed at any point + flexible pricing. For example, at some point a certain project would not compile due to low end server specs. I was able to easily upgrade the server, compile the project and downgrade the server back. If I need to test some software I can deploy a new server with one-click configuration in a few minutes, test the software and discard the server.

Another great thing is community guides. Plenty of useful information to help deploy and configure various software and environments. DigitalOcean dashboard is nice and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I had at some point is outgoing email delivery due to blacklisted IP address. Some email providers had to blacklist a whole range of IPs belonging to Digital Ocean. This might be a result of how easy it is to deploy a server and abuse it for unsolicited email delivery. To be fair it’s something that any cloud provider might experience and DO support was quite helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a referral link to get free credit to try the service

I’m running web sites for my own software products. Nothing big, so a cheap low end server spec is enough for me. I’ve been using DigitalOcean for a few years now and I'm happy with it.

DigitalOcean review by Amy F.
Amy F.

"Fast Severs,Awesome Support"

What do you like best?

I moved to the digital ocean to host my website in the cloud as it could help my on-page SEO by reducing the website loading speed. I was really impressed by the Service provided by them, the servers are fast and really easy to configure. within a few clicks, you can easily create a server with WordPress preinstalled on them. they also gave me a free trial worth $20 which helped me to test the server for a period of around 4 months. another great thing is the pricing, its real customer friendly and can be afforded by everyone. I have to mention the support here, they are really great. I didn't know much about hosting in the cloud and ran into many issues with my WordPress setup. every time the digital ocean support was there to help me out. the website comes with a beautiful user-friendly interface, I had no trouble navigating through the site. the uptime provided is really impressive, in the whole time I was with the digital ocean only once my website went down that too the mistake was on my side. their servers run on SSD, so don't have to say how fast they are. my website started loading in a blink of an eye and surely helped mine on page SEO.

What do you dislike?

this is not the cheapest service for cloud hosting in the market, there are several companies that offer similar server specifications for a cheaper price. once they put my account under verification for no reason at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the servers are blazing fast. i do recommend you to try them.

Hosting my WordPress blog on cloud

DigitalOcean review by Neil H.
Neil H.

"Blazing Fast Severs"

What do you like best?

the best thing about Digital ocean is the speed of the servers and its the one quality that impressed me the most about them.all of the servers got SSD in them so that your website will load in a blink of a second. i used to host my website in shared hostings and the speed increased exponentially since moving to cloud hostings. the pricing is also cheap, you can get web hosting services starting at just $5 per month which is pretty impressive compared to the quality of service offered. the customer service is another perk about the digital ocean, I had no knowledge on cloud hosting before when moving to the digital ocean and ran into many errors, the customer service was always there for me and replied almost instantly to the queries. the setup is pretty easy, the digital ocean dashboard is really simple and quite easily move around the website. the server setup is very straightforward and you can deploy servers which is called droplets with only few clicks. the servers can be made to run on a variety of scripts and popular operating systems as per ones need.

What do you dislike?

the payment gateway can be troublesome and i frequently got my card denied for so reason at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

this is one of the best cloud hosting providers in the market, go with them.

Hosting websites in cloud servers. the service is great and the servers are incredibly fast. my website started to load much faster.

DigitalOcean review by martin l.
martin l.

"Fast but Not cheap"

What do you like best?

the performance of the servers is really great, they are fast and powerful. used it to host my domain and the speed of the loading is really impressive. the customer service is also great,, usually, they respond within minutes to your queries. The setup of the servers and interface is also great and noobie friendly. back in the time, i didn't know much about cloud computing but the way around digital ocean was so easy and i had no trouble navigating or setting up the servers. another great thing with Digital Ocean was the Free trial offer that allows users to test their server for a period of 60 days. I too started out with their Free trial and really liked the performance provided by them. they also have a lot of servers all across the globe to choose from.

What do you dislike?

the billing is really troublesome, sometimes it works sometimes it won't, it's really frustrating. another problem with the digital ocean is with the web console, it always fails when I try to log in and eventually contacted the support and got it fixed. the pricing is not the cheapest, you can get servers with same specifications for a cheaper price from competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

they are fast but not the cheapest. so choose according to your need.

Hosting my websites on Cloud, the servers are really fast and my website loads much faster after moving to the digital ocean.

DigitalOcean review by John R.
John R.

"The Best Cloud Service out There."

What do you like best?

I started out using Digital Ocean through their free Credit Promotion which offered $50 towards using their Servers. It tried it for about a month and my website never went down a single minute while I'm with them so I decided to choose their servers to host my website permentanly.. the performance of the servers is of superior quality. also, the customer support provided by the digital ocean is quite satisfactory. they used to respond to any queries within minutes.

What do you dislike?

THe cost, Comparing to other cloud providers out in the market, the service provided by Digital ocean is a bit Costly that for someone starting out their business it can be a burden on them. I had few troubles with them at the beginning, once they put my account on hold because they thought that something was suspicious of the account and they resolved it within few minutes, another issue I had with them is with the interface also the options provided by them is so confusing that as a noob i had few trouble setting up my servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its one of the faster servers in the market. you won't be disappointed.

Cloud servers used to host my websites and create regular backups.

DigitalOcean review by Gareth E.
Gareth E.

"Rock Solid Hosting. ZERO downtime in 3 years. Nuff Said."

What do you like best?

The easiest to use and the most reliable platform for hosting I have come across. I don't use anything else in my business now. Whats not to like. Easy fast deployment, amazing prices, built in dynamic scalability. Full image backups. An excellent platform I trust completely and do not see switching to anything else in the future.

What do you dislike?

I am hard pressed to dislike anything. It is all very straightforward. Being able to downsize droplets dynamically would be nice I guess. But that is an idle notion with no concept of the difficulty in facilitating that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean has been completely reliable for me, and never had any issues. Ever. Server performance and reliability are first class, and recommend these all day to anyone who listens.

Scale. Glorious scale & cost. DO allows me to work with the resources I need, and increase capacity as and when I need, without headaches.

DigitalOcean review by Devon L.
Devon L.

"It's Amazing, Until It Isn't"

What do you like best?

* Super easy to get up and running fast

* UI/UX is clean & intuitive

* Pricing is transparent

* Competitive entry level price point

* Only pay for what you use

What do you dislike?

* Support - It's impossible to get anyone on the phone. Tickets are answered in a 1 response every 24 hour cadence. If you're hosting a single, simple SMB website, where responsibilities are shared across a dedicated team, I can being happy with their support. They're really good at copy/pasting well written solutions to common problems. I had an SSH Key Authentication break and found it annoying that "there isn't any other authentication or access options we [DO] can offer" other than taking the server offline, removing the image, and asking me to manually redeploy from scratch. That was annoying, but I get it. Unmanaged hosting an what not. My issue was that I had to open up 4 tickets over the course of a month to get that answer. The first three were either not responded to or closed less than 24 hours after answering a question with a question. That seems to be common practice. Again, if you're sitting around at your computer just waiting for DO support to e-mail you, then that's ok. If you're spinning 14 different plates like Red Panda it's no bueno.

* No Backup/Redundancy Features! - This is reason I chose to leave a poor review. I am currently a Master's Student at Harvard and had been a relatively content DO customer for a little over 2 years. In the midst of my month long struggle inability to SSH into the root directory of my server – which was going on in the middle of finals – DO had issues processing my payment (which barring evidence to the contrary was probably my fault). I responded saying:

"I am interested in keeping my account open, but I need someone to help

identify why I can't access my server. Can you please have someone get back

to me?"

At which time, they opened up a 5th ticket and seemingly unaware of the first 4 responded with:

"Hey there, thanks for reaching out to us! What issues are you experiencing reaching the Droplet? We'd be happy to help in any way we can! :)"

At this point, I'm working 18 hours a day between work and school, and decided to deal with it the end of the month, post exams. Turns out, that was a HUGE MISTAKE! Over a outstanding balance of $23.61 they shut down my server a few days after the above exchange, sent one automated e-mail, and then wiped the server clean 2 later. 2 years of work just vanished forever, completely unrecoverable. I'm not a complete moron. I had personal backups of my major projects, but I did loose a website I created using DO's 1-click WordPress install app. Lost 100+ hours of work and generated content. That whole site was probably less than a MB. I figured they'd at least backup their word press installs the same way most other providers do. Nope.

I take responsibility for what happened. They were within their rights. I just think that's a stupid way of doing business. When I was evaluating providers in a professional capacity a few months, knowing how cavalier they are as a company towards their customers data didn't inspire a lot of confidence. 99 times out of 100 it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not risking my business on those odds.

The crazy thing to me is, I'd have paid $300 for that backup without batting an eye. I'd still do it 6 months later. Google for one understands this. Anyone notice what happens when you overload you Drive storage limits? They don't cancel your plan, delete your data, or ever stop you from uploading more. They just wait a few months until you drive folder is 370% full and then tell you your e-mail is going to stop working unless you make space or pay more money. That's smart business. And, I guarantee that when they lock user's out of their e-mail accounts they don't close the account or stop storing the data. I guarantee they keep all those e-mails as an incentive to pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure it's the right product for your use case. If you're managing a single site with a quality technical team, it's a great fit. If you're an individual or agency managing lots of projects on a single server and want the peace of mind that you can go on a month long honeymoon and not have your business wrecked by your hosting provider, I'd choose another solution. It's worth the extra pocket change. For larger tech companies, I'd suggest going with Amazon or Google, because they're need to maximize server usage doesn't outweigh their desire to protect your data and keep you happy.

I was looking for a one-stop shop location to host a myriad of personal development projects.

DigitalOcean review by Malkit S.
Malkit S.

"True 0 downtime, easy to setup and well maintained how-to docs."

What do you like best?

Have been using DO from almost a year now and the best thing about DO is it's quite smooth and user-friendly interface which does great things behind the scene like spinning up of virtual servers for you.

Few of best things about DO:-

1. Pay as you go.

2. Increase server configuration easily

3. 2 Factor authorization.

4. Large and useful how to do documents.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they send a verification code on your email when somebody tries to log in on your behalf from remote location. Although it's a good security measure but in situations when you are traveling and your colleagues try to log in on your behalf they are left stuck.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not mature enough in managing server and have tight budget then DO is for you. Go for it you can use technical notes and how to do notes from DO which are easily available.

Our main problem was to host a product on a reliable infrastructure once it was ready. Somebody suggested DO to me and I went just to try but since after we are using this for almost every other product.

We never observed any downtime due to hardware failure and that's the best benefit we have obeserved after switching to DO.

DigitalOcean review by Brian F.
Brian F.

"Robust cloud platform for the serious admin or DevOp"

What do you like best?

Speed of deployment and ease of use are the hallmarks of the Digital Ocean platform. Add in the image, backup and snaphots features and deploying, recovering, moving, updating and other server admin tasks are very easy and accurate.

What do you dislike?

some key features are not available in various datacenters while other features cannot be used with VM's located in different datacenters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean requires that the user have experience and skill with the deployment of servers and with Linux OS. Their help is also strictly email based and while I have experienced acceptable rates for replies, some may need a more immediate and hands on support system.

Creating a scalable, robust and flexible hosting platform for our various web based servers. We have seen significant increase in server performance and scalability with Digital Ocean versus the previous dedicated server environment.

DigitalOcean review by Agency in Computer Software
Agency in Computer Software

"Best bang for your buck in VPS solutions"

What do you like best?

Coming from a Windows Server environment and wanting to try an inexpensive Linux VPS instead, I found the documentation to be extremely helpful. Coupled with a little bit of Linux command line research and DO documentation, I got myself up and running on a very secure server in no time.

What do you dislike?

Some other reviews relating to "deleted block storage" volumes or other products has me a little worried (these reviews relate to lack of payment/updating expired payment methods). But I have two payment methods in place so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would recommend thoroughly reading all reviews to determine if DO is a good fit for you; but so far I haven't experienced any real issues of my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your own research. The positive reviews are great, and most are very similar, but I would recommend looking at the negative reviews as well - chances are those reviews will provide a little insight into possible problems (that may have been addressed since) that you can avoid or keep in mind when using their products. But again, I can't say that I have experienced any problems with Digital Ocean; to me, they have great products, and great documentation to help you get up and running in about 15 minutes.

I have a shared hosting plan with GoDaddy and tried their VPS as well. I found it more advantageous and less expensive to use Digital Ocean for my VPS and keep any small websites on my GoDaddy shared hosting, thereby making the best use of both web hosts. Any larger web applications are now hosted on my Digital Ocean account where I can also easily set up background jobs to reduce the amount of work I have to do from administrative functions (eg. invoicing) to automatic database backups etc.

DigitalOcean review by Sergio F.
Sergio F.

"Cloud made simple"

What do you like best?

The easy to run a machine. In other clouds, it's far more complicated to start running. And it has all the features we need, like snapshots in time (very handy, because our machine got hacked a lot of times, so we simply started again from the snapshot). The zone availability is also great, so if you need simple projects hosted on the cloud then DigitalOcean is your friend, I wouldn't recommend it more!

What do you dislike?

Maybe the lack of other possibilities, but they are still working on it for some years. Let's see what we'll be seeing next.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't want to complicate your life - use DigitalOcean!

We deployed a great number of servers using DigitalOcean. The price is a bit lower than the big ones, so that's a plus. The servers were everyone different, for different purposes, so every machine had different attributes. And sometime when they were not being used, we simply would remove them. Half of the servers were for webpages and another half for backend services.

DigitalOcean review by Steven R.
Steven R.

"Easiest way to get a server up and running."

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean has an incredibly easy to use UI. It has a very simple interface that makes it so easy to spin up a new server that even the most inexperienced junior developer can mange the task. It's super simple to throw away test boxes that you no longer need. Its pricing is based on the resources you use, which means you are not locked into paying for a VPS for a minimal term. Only pay for what you use.

What do you dislike?

Its far more expensive than other VPS solutions available. Its cheapest server only has 512MB of RAM for $5/month. Which is not even enough RAM to install NodeJS and build your frontend assets. The next tier up would be the 1GB RAM server for $10/month. There are a number of reliable VPS service providers that can offer 6 times more memory for a fraction of the cost of DigitialOcean's second tier price plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about the price points and the trade off for ease of use. Although its more expensive to run a higher powered machine, its incredibly easy for small simple tests on low powered boxed.

When the business has a need to quickly test a new product in isolation, we can use DigitalOcean to quickly spin up a simple server for testing. It makes it an incredibly easy service for destructible testing.

DigitalOcean review by Richard B.
Richard B.

"Quick & Easy Development and Limited Production Environments"

What do you like best?

There is so much. Quickly and easily spin up a VPS test server with virtually unlimited configuration operations on the cheap. There are a ton of preset distribution stacks to choose from and pre-installed application setups as a starting points. Many options for connecting to administrating your server. The web based control panel is very easy and nice to navigate. There is a good amount of documentation and community authored content to walk you through anything you might want to try. There really isn't any else like it out there. Totally a hosting solution with development testing in mind. That is not to say this won't also work for small production servers.

What do you dislike?

Only just a couple things. First, I think they might have small scale development needs a little too in focus which is a shame if you want the same sort of experience in large scale production deployment cause it simply isn't as affordable in comparison. In my opinion, they need to balance this out a bit more. Second, I'd like a way to quickly clone my VPS to my own back-up facility that is as accessible as just about everything else this provider offers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Again, if you are a developer that needs (or wants) the most affordable way to quickly test virtually any kind of deployment scheme or need lots of small-scale projects up and running in a live environment quickly and cheaply, you will be very hard-pressed to find anything better.

If you constantly need live deployment testing, personal & small-scale client deployment infrastructure, and are a developer looking for the quickest and most affordable way to achieve this that provides one of the most pleasant experiences there is to be had in the web hosting market, there really isn't anything better you can find. It excells at what it specializes in almost every way. But there is always room for improvement.

DigitalOcean review by Maciej W.
Maciej W.

"The best hosting service on Earth."

What do you like best?

In few seconds, I can run a fully functioning GitLab instance, or Discourse, or plain Fedora image. It's amazing.

Variety of droplet sizes determines variety of prices, thanks to this you can be sure that you will pay for the configuration you really need. Prices are very affordable and you can choose one of the many data centers located around the world.

2 months vacations? Not a problem. Take a snapshot of your ownCloud droplet and turn it on when you need it again, all data will be in place.

The best feature for me is a tutorial repository created by community and DigitalOcean staff. Clear instructions and explanations = great knowledge base.

What do you dislike?

After a clean installation of some images, there are some steps you should take to ensure security. Usually, it's a good idea to check few tutorials related to your image to make sure that your configuration is secure. It's not a big problem, but I think that users should get more direct instructions after installation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a student you can get some free credits for DigialOcean with GitHub students pack. If you are not a student you can use a referral link to get $10 credits to test the service.

This is probably the best hosting in the world. Give it a try :)

I use DigitalOcean to test my web applications and to play with the services I don't know. DigitalOcean is also a hosting for my ownCloud and GitLab used to collaborate with my team.

DigitalOcean review by Sebastian I.
Sebastian I.

"Digital Ocean is hands down the best hosting provider I've ever used."

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean makes spinning up a server stupid simple. I've been using Digital Ocean for about 2 years now, and have since moved all of my web hosting services over to them. You can get an Ubuntu server created and online in less than 2 minutes. They provide dozens of detailed tutorials for getting started with installing a LAMP server on your machine, have great customer support, and the pricing is very reasonable.

What do you dislike?

I honestly have nothing negative to say about the time I've spent using Digital Ocean. 10 out of 10 experience!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a hosting service that's fast, easy to use, and affordable, definitely give Digital Ocean a try. Their cheapest hosting starts at only $5 per month, and allows complete control of the server via SSH. You can use your server for anything. I have several that I use for hosting websites, and two strictly for running Node.js applications and Twitter bots.

Digital Ocean makes maintaining and scaling your web servers a snap. I use them for all of my personal projects, and recently started moving my clients onto Digital Ocean as well. Having all of your droplets in one easy-to-manage place is very helpful.

DigitalOcean review by Ignacio S.
Ignacio S.

"Do you want a VPS with an AWESOME support? This is the choosen one."

What do you like best?

The best is the Support. This people sell self managed VPS and you can think - "I need to do this by my own" - and yeah you are right but even with that if you have a problem with your system, this guys helps you without doubts.

What do you dislike?

The current VAT tax system, it assumes the country from the payment from the origin of your card. I do use Payoneer, the origin is the UK but I'm in Colombia, they keep charging me with the VAT tax. (I already tried opening a ticket).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The support is AWESOME, this people knows what are they doing. They are growing up an that is nice.

Cloud Server for clients.

DigitalOcean review by David L.
David L.

"Awesome platform for simple setups"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean is an awesome platform. The really stick to their marketing about getting a virtual machine stood up super fast. They rarely have outage issues that affect my use and their one-click apps make standing up applications like Ghost or GitLab. They are also a very open company letting customers know about issues or updates happening in the company and in their data centers.

What do you dislike?

They don't have nearly as many features as other cloud providers. Some might like that for the simplicity, but for me, it means that I have to use multiple cloud providers because I want to use DigitalOcean for simple in-house applications and need more robust features for client projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is constantly evolving. In the past couple years, they've made huge strides towards competing with the big 3 (Amazon, Google, Azure) and will continue to make steps in the years to come.

We just needed somewhere to put servers. Rather than buying hardware and managing it in house, we decided to move to the cloud. DigitalOcean offered a cost-efficient and easy to setup cloud that allowed us to get servers and applications running quickly.

DigitalOcean review by Wasi M.
Wasi M.

"One of the best hosting providers"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Fast, reliable, uninterrupted, highly useful. I also like the dashboard, pretty much everything of digitalocean. Also, they supports students as well which is great!

What do you dislike?

They don't support payment gateway's like payoneer. I extensively use payoneer which makes it really difficult to use this service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended! Its really a good service with almost 99.99% up time reliable, and fast!.However, one thing to note that digital ocean doesn't support debit card/ virtual prepaid cards.

Most of the projects we have developed were hosted on digital ocean more importantly our clients were satisfied with the service so do we!

DigitalOcean review by Brandon M.
Brandon M.

"Cloud hosting for the rest of us"

What do you like best?

Various levels of affordability and excellent customer service. I would have to say that the support system, including the online search function makes it easy to learn more about their services, best practices and how to do many various tasks.

The times I did need to submit a support ticket, I always got a response very quickly.

What do you dislike?

I literally do not dislike any of Digital Ocean's services or practices. Also, I would like to point out that since I started using DigitalOcean, any issues I have had have been cleared up quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give them a shot. They have a free trial, and I liked them enough to switch over.

Also, don't be afraid to put in a support ticket if you have questions, I have always received a quick and friendly response.

You have to have hosting and Digital Ocean gives me the freedom to have my own server at a cost I can afford.

DigitalOcean review by Justin E.
Justin E.

"DO provides very flexible cloud computing services for nearly every use case"

What do you like best?

I enjoy having control of the VPS via SSH as well as the web interface DO provides. Only being charged for the time it's online is another bonus.

What do you dislike?

Can be complex to setup, but hey that's what comes with configuring a a server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need help setting anything up Google is your friend. I had no prior knowledge or usage with Linux distro's before stepping into SSHing into a Droplet. it was a fun time learning. Digital Ocean has a ton of great guides on setting up production ready configurations, look into it regardless of whether or not you're using their services!

Being able to start up a droplet with a pre-installed MEAN package and have CI enabled from the get go with my git repo is a blessing in itself. Digital Ocean makes it straight forward when setting up preconfigured machines for typical usage, where they shine is using SSD's for all standard storage, 20GB minimum. The machines are a pleasure to use.

DigitalOcean review by Mike K.
Mike K.

"Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

The documentation on the Digital Ocean site is extensive and really well composed. I used it regularly even for projects for which Digital Ocean isn't involved. The prices are very reasonable as well.

What do you dislike?

From my limited understanding of Virtual Private Hosting, there are limitations to the quality of the hosting compared to some other VPS options. Sadly I'm not clear on what they are yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want ease of implementation, DO is it.

Using a virtual private server is more affordable than an actual private server by a massive margin. Private servers as opposed to Shared Hosting are often faster, give a private IP address and give me access to Super User.

DigitalOcean review by Ravi B.
Ravi B.

"Good for personal data/document storage and hosting"

What do you like best?

1. Great user guides - DigitalOcean has a good number of user guides contributed by both their staff and the community, which can help any novice user get started with different kind of projects. It starts from the basics like securing you linux box and goes on to initiate you to OwnCloud and helping you with step-by-step guides on how to set it up on a DigitalOcean droplet. I could easily follow the steps on all the guides and really loved them.

2. Wide availability - DigitalOcean has server options in Singapore, US, Russia and even recently India (announced, but not yet available) - which is great for such a nascent company. The scale of growth and choices they offer have really ensured me to trust with their product. The pricing at different places is the exact same, which is very helpful and quite frankly, unbelievable. I have not seen any other vendor with such options. Also, this helps in ensuring that your client data never leaves the required geographical frame, which is critical for maintaining project safety.

What do you dislike?

I am overall a huge fan of DigitalOcean, so I might be a little biased towards them. But here is still a small thing that I think should improve in the future.

They should allow 3DSecure cards for Indian customers, as most Indians dont have credit card, but only debit cards. Also, those cards are not usually international, leading to a huge problem for potential customers. As they are thinking of entering India with new datacentres, this is quite a huge drawback in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a personal server for simple things like data backup and secured access, I think DigitalOcean is a fine option for that.

I use it for hosting personal docements as a backup option. Owncloud is the application which manages all of it, alongwith a secured access page on the droplet IP. It is almost a replacement for Google Docs.

DigitalOcean review by Ranit C.
Ranit C.

"Decent performance for automated testing and deployment"

What do you like best?

Official and community documentation on running automated Javascript testing is quite detailed, so it is easy to shift from hosted services to custom servers on DigitalOcean. It is also really cheap for the processing power as specialised testing services charge steeply per hour, project as well as concurrent builds.

As you have full access to your server, it is just trivial to maintain, build and tear your dev environment with apt-get, unlike all the voodoo with TravisCI docker builds.

Other than the raw servers, the user tools on droplet pages help you a lot with recovering from forgot password or need easy backup situations. Those add-ons services really are praise-worthy from user perspective.

What do you dislike?

In terms of testing performance, because the server resources are statically allocated during droplet creation, it is not easily possible to elastically upgrade when the build load is higher. They have recently added resource upgradation tools but they are only available statically after shut-down, which doesnt totally solve my usecase.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have not explored other VPS solutions before DigitalOcean, so I cant compare with its competition, but I think at its price point there is hardly anything to complain about.

We build and test our internal tools on DigitalOcean servers using an automated dockerized solution.

We used to use testing-only services for this purpose, but they dont scale well financially for larger projects and concurrent builds. They were better due to their dashboards and parameterized config file instead of code-based configuration, but we decided that it was easy enough to replicate the same with GitLab. The speedup was worth the trade-off.

DigitalOcean review by Suresh S.
Suresh S.

"Provides instant VPS servers and has very helpful support team"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean provides servers that you can create and destroy by the press of a button, with various specs and Linux-based OSs. The blank ones start operating in about 90 seconds, but restoring from images take a few minutes. I signed up for them and was blown away by the simplicity they provided to the end-users even while providing such a complex system with many customizable things.

The team iterates very fast and pushes major changes in a matter of months after announcing their plans to do so. Their international expansion is also something to respect with presence in many continents on customer demand. Most of all, the whole experience with DO is very friendly and cosy, unlike Amazon's AWS or others. DO is seriously focused on simple UX, friendly branding, developer-oriented campaigns that is almost unheard of for a company which is essentially providing servers at low cost. I would even say that they have tried to successfully unearth a new set of customers who are slightly tech-savvy, but would earlier cringe from the idea of hosting their own servers - showing how simple it is and providing detailed documentation on many helpful use-cases, they have earned the love of a lot of customers.

Another great thing about DigitalOcean is their support team, who have on numerous occasions helped me in setting up accounts and payments and were fast to respond within 15 minutes or so. Although they dont have any live chat, their support tickets are as good as that with thoughtful and actionable responses.

What do you dislike?

In spite of their best efforts, recently introduced features like block storage, one-click applications, DNS setup have introduced more complexity which sometimes might baffle new users.

They have recently decided to add pricing for system images, which is unavoidable for most users and seems like a unfavourable decision to users, in face of their low pricing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a simple option for hosting personal servers, DigitalOcean is the best solution in the market. But if you really know what you are doing, there are some more customizable solutions like those provided by Amazon.

We use it for hosting codebase for internal repositories that our developers work on every day.

Having custom server solves our security problems as well as gives more flexibility in operations.

DigitalOcean review by Siva G.
Siva G.

"Simple, Painless, Cost effective Cloud solution"

What do you like best?

Predictable pricing model, Easy to use interface for creating Droplets, Many pre-defined OS Config available, many server locations.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was a way to upgrade(add or remove) just Hard disk space or RAM when needed rather than upgrading to entire plan where i don't need all the other requirement such as extra bandwidth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it first and you will be amazed at how ease it is to deploy your application to the server. It has all the requirements to scale up once your app reaches the moon.

Scalable web hosting solution. It also has lot of articles and how-to's for beginner to learn and deploy the application.

DigitalOcean review by Blake D.
Blake D.

"Cheap NGINX droplets deployed fast - what's not to love?"

What do you like best?

Affordable, easy to provision environments quickly, environments perform well and are reliable. Solid monitoring capabilities available through the UI so you can evaluate the health and performance of your droplets anytime.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was more flexibility in how the backups worked - you're limited to once per week (at least in my current usage tier). Other than that it's difficult to think of anything that I don't like - this is a very purpose-built platform that does one specific thing really well.

We deployed some internal business applications on PHP and have some business logic (REST-based pass throughs connecting different web-based applications that we've procured). DigitalOcean also drives scheduled exports from several of our applications to Klipfolio (a dashboarding engine that we use for physical monitors / mobile here at SmartLinx).

DigitalOcean review by Victor H.
Victor H.

"Good but needs improvement"

What do you like best?

I like DO because it's cheap, and the website UI is great. I also like that they are trying to create a documentation for each kind of language and framework so users can leanr how to configure and deploy their apps.

What do you dislike?

As a Rails developer I have tried following all the docs to be up and running with my own custom server on DO but it was impossible, I tried many many things, but nothing worked, I think they are in the good direction but need to review their posts because they are not working, they do not teach how to deploy a Rails app which is very easy on Heroku but not over DO, again: Videos are the keys, PLEASE make sure you communicate to your users how to deploy a Rails app, it is really hard to do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use it for Rails, you will suffer pains with this.

They are not resolving anything for me. Because it is hard to configure this for Rails apps.

DigitalOcean review by Hazzim A.
Hazzim A.

"DigitalOcean is perfect for development environments in 1 clicks (almost)"

What do you like best?

The GUI is very intuitive and minimalist, the options are just the minimal (and enough) you will need to deploy a server (or service), the OS's variety is good and cost is the best choice.

What do you dislike?

The monitoring system can be improved and one option to upload your own cloud images could be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the variety of operating systems is good for you, is complicated to find a better option with this easy to use interface and cost.

I'm using DigitalOcean for personal projects and provide training since one year and a half, the cost for the service is great and the VM is available in less than a minute (most of the cases)

DigitalOcean review by Ranjit M.
Ranjit M.

"Great for hosting websites"

What do you like best?

1. DigitalOcean UI is very helpful with guided links to help get started and also learn more features. Branding is very well done, but even more importantly their docs helped our team a lot in setting up different CMS and frontend build tools like Gulp and Brunch. I really didnt expect what is essentially a hosting service to go beyond their domain and add help files on now to build your frontend projects. Overall, I think the experience they provide is excellent - a role model for any good service to follow,

2. High bandwidth allotment - Default bandwidth of 1TB per month included with the plan is more than sufficient to host any moderate to high traffic website as long as you are serving the static content from a CDN. WIth most services you have to pay for traffic beyond a small limit and with DigitalOcean, we hardly cross a quarter of the limit. Even beyond this usage, the extra charges are very low for what any decent ISP would charge you in India.

3. Support reps are active on various social platforms and also very responsive on any problem you ask them about - ranging from payment to team management.

4. Team management is an essential element which they have finally added and that is what our team just needed to manage so many dev accounts from one place. The admin account can pay all the bills and manage access to the resources for all sub-accounts.

What do you dislike?

I hardly see anything bad with their services, but keep in mind that their outgoing connections can sometime go slow for a few days and sometimes there are temporary restriction on using multiple servers from the same host location.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is a very good choice - I can't recommend them enough.

We use it for building front-end assets and codes and serve them to the visitors from the same servers.

DigitalOcean review by Suman S.
Suman S.

"Provides economic servers with fast boot time"

What do you like best?

1. Server options are very economic - it starts from about $5 for the basic one with 0.5 GB Ram and 20 GB HDD, so pretty powerful for hosting a simple website. You have total SSH access to the machines and they also provide a web SSH shell to try out things faster.

2. Backup, private networking and IPV6 options were added recently making it also suitable for larger infrastructures and complicated networks with fail-safe. Private networking also doesnt count towards your data usage quota, so local access between machines on their same datacentre is essentially as good as that of a self-hosted option.

3. DigitalOcean has a public request submission forum on UserVoice which makes sure that user demands can be communicated efficiently to the developers. They chose and implemented a lot of those popular requested features.

What do you dislike?

1. Documentation can be submitted by anyone, but the review process is very closed and archaic. Comparatively, that of its primary competitor is very much open and is stored in public repos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is one of the most popular options now-a-days for using cloud-hosted VM servers and they provide a small signup credit. So its easy to test it out before committing.

We use VMs provided by DigitalOcean for building and deploying our product to a few separate private servers.

DigitalOcean review by David L.
David L.

"My 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1"

What do you like best?

DO provides the fastest spin-up on what is essentially a VPS server ("droplets"), at a cost-effective and manageable price point.

What do you dislike?

The number of droplets I can create is limited until a request is made to increase the limit. I understand this is probably necessary to avoid certain forms of abuse, but it is one-more-step if you want to be poised to scale rapidly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to take advantage of SSH keys so you can log in without typing a password! Also, take snaphshots whenever you like to have a convenient image to roll back to anytime.

I use droplets instead of my localhost for almost all of my development work now. Having a "localhost in the cloud" is much cleaner, faster, and fun!

DigitalOcean review by Graham C.
Graham C.

"DigitalOcean is an amazing service which is fast, and easy to use. It's my absolute go to."

What do you like best?

Fast server provisioning, great prices, and the ability to make snapshots. Private networking and backups also are super handy too. Their customer service has been spectacular too!

What do you dislike?

Missing shared filesystem support right now, or file storage as a service. We have to use AWS S3. Also, no in-house mail system, or database system, but that is to be expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is perfect for running websites and performing computation tasks using queue workers, however it does not provide database or mail as a service. For that, I'd recommend using something like AWS. Amazon's US East data centre has fast connectivity to Digital Ocean's NY data centres, so using AWS S3 or SES, alongside DigitalOcean is no problem.

We use DigitalOcean to run our databases, cache, sessions, queues, and most of our service, however we have to offload our file storage to AWS S3, and our email sending to AWS SES. This is easy to do though, and Digital Ocean is perfect for us, at a really great price.

Our particular use case is running StyleCI https://styleci.io/. We provide free automated code analysis and fixing, running on Digital Ocean, for all open source PHP projects.

DigitalOcean review by Administrator

"Horrible service and absolute ignorance to loyal customers!!!"

What do you like best?

Used to like reliability. They have moderate prices and good functionality.

What do you dislike?

Ok, so I’ve been using DigitalOcean since 2013 and everything was just fine. An on May 31 2018 something really worrying happened, all my files got deleted and I received this email:

“We sincerely apologize, however, there was an incident impacting the Spaces service that resulted in a number of Spaces and the data within them to be deleted. At this time we're performing a full internal investigation to determine what the cause of the issue was as well as why it happened. Once we have a full understanding and additional details to share, we'll follow up.

At this time, unfortunately, we can confirm that the data within your Spaces has been lost and is not recoverable. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.”

They never informed me further and none of my files were restore. No compensation except for $400 on my account, saying:

“You have been granted credit to use on your DigitalOcean team for $400.00. We’ve updated your balance, which you can view at your team's billing page. Please note that this credit will expire after 12 months if it's not used.”

I took severe loses… Now I am in the process of transferring to another service.

Well, decide for yourself whether use their services, but I am really devastated by both my losses and their absolute ignorance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use this service if you value your own business.

Hosting of entire company's infrastructure. Good functionality and performance.

DigitalOcean review by Anup B.
Anup B.

"Easy to use VM service for individuals, has good documentation and community"

What do you like best?

1. DigitalOcean (DO) is easy to understand and wrap your head around the whole concept - it is mostly just a VM provider where VMs are called Droplet and you can create one or multiple ones on demand - that's all. Compare that to AWS and you'll understand where too much customizability can take you. AWS is literally so comple that you cant even make out which service you actually need.

2. Documentation is very very nice and detailed - they have guides for all topics from basic ones like setting up ssh to advanced like provisioning multiple machines with failsafe. It is always very step-by-step and embedded with images where needed to make sure that you can definitely replicate the same steps. It is not just some geeky instruction where new developers can even understand what some of those terms even mean.

3. They have a playful branding which works really nice and reinforces the thought that they are easy accessible and for everyone.

4. Block storage introduced recently to add extra storage space to your droplets.

What do you dislike?

Although their service started as simple VM service, they were forced to introduce some customizable add-ons due to user request, which in turn makes them a little bit more complex every day. THey have introduced : Private Networking, Creating multiple droplets, Backups, DNS service, Block Storage and a lot more over time. I hope they understand their USP and know where to stop adding more things which are not much useful. I would still congratulate them for keeping UI simple for all that it can do and attracting new users who actually turn into profitable customers with time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have not tried it out, do give it a trial which is free for 2 months. After that, you can make your mind. Even if you dont like it for all your intended purposes, you should find it valuable when you need some quick and dirty server.

We use it to deploy development branch of our products for internal manual and automatic testing. This is like our staging server before we release it. It is easy to setup those machines like our target machines using cloud-init scripts supported by DO.

DigitalOcean review by Jonathan K.
Jonathan K.

"Fast, simple cloud servers for testing and small production usages"

What do you like best?

The usability and speed, it allows you to run testing, fast checks of infrastructure and deployments quickly on small instances without having to spin up whole EC2 sets. It's fast, good for development and a great boon to any developer looking to test server software or other things. Additionally, the general dashboard and access is a very nice experience, and makes everything very fast to access without any fuss in-between. Server provisioning can literally be done in less than 15 mouse clicks, which can't really be said for any other major provider. That said, the API could do with some work in terms of what data you can export and what parts of a server you can modify externally.

What do you dislike?

The pricing model means that if you are using it in production then your monthly fees will quickly skyrocket on larger deployments, additionally there is no secondary backup facility, requiring you to set this up manually. A VM export tool would be an interesting possibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use it for large production setups. It can be really detrimental to your wallet when things get larger, since a lot of the scaling gets very expensive after the larger instances.

In terms of testing large-scale setup procedures such as firewalls on a fast-to-reset cloud platform, it is unparalleled. Additionally, if you need small-scale infrastructure for personal projects or smaller-scale tests, it's a very fast and cheap way to acquire that.

DigitalOcean review by Daniel C.
Daniel C.

"Probably the best cloud service out there today!"

What do you like best?

- The User Experience on DigitalOcean is amazing. everything is clear and friendly.

- The Pricing model is fair and simple to understand, no hidden fees.

- Simplicity, there is no overload of different services and consideration to make. just start a server and work.

What do you dislike?

I would unable more flexibility on droplets setup. i have a few use cases where i do need a lot of RAM for data processing automation but I don't really need a lot of hard drive space and i end up paying for a larger droplet.

I wish DigitalOcean offered a static file hosting service (like S3) for 80% of the use cases where all you need is a simple file server for a static website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is a really good solution if you have a basic setup and you don't what to start thinking too much on implementation.

It is great for the POC/MVP stage of projects and a great fit for simple services or websites.

The performance is good and the support is amazing. they have tutorials for Everything!

It is great for beginners and experienced developers.

DigitalOcean enables me to build a lot of websites on a limited amount of financial resources. unlike the competition it is very very clear how much you will pay at the end of the month and there are no extra fees for the trivial stuff like attaching domains to your servers.

DigitalOcean review by Robert W.
Robert W.

"Cheap and easy, but slightly lacking in performance"

What do you like best?

I love the easy setup of droplets and the simple application installer. I use ghost to run a blog, and their installer makes it much quicker for me to start my app.

What do you dislike?

Their pricing is good but not the cheapest... For example, Vultr offers 800mb (around that) ram for the same price digital ocean offers 512 mb.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to set up ssh, their terminal client it the browser is sub par.

I use digital ocean to run my blog and a ubuntu server on which I host several projects and a sandbox.

My absolute favorite thing about DO is that its charged on a low interval. For example, I can fire up a ubuntu server with 1gig ram for 3 hours for about a cent.

DigitalOcean review by Omar Q.
Omar Q.

"Best platform for any size team!"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean has always been my go to VPS service and development setup environment for as long as it has been around! I love DigitalOcean and the really cheap and powerful VPSes offered to my team!

DigitalOcean gives people many opportunities and helps new customers by giving them coupons that offer you up to a month or two of FREE VPS hosting (based on your VPS size).

DigitalOcean also has a simple plan that is super easy to use and fast. Love the speed, amazing and super easy to work with for teams of all sizes or even individual developers!

For personal projects I can quickly spin up a Droplet (VPS Server), and get up and running in about a minute! For group projects I can run multiple droplets in a production environment way and it works just the same! Spin up as many droplets as I want, when I want (after speaking to the team and removing the 5 droplet limit of course)!

What do you dislike?

To be honest, throughout my years with DigitalOcean I have no noticed anything that I was unhappy with! I truly would like to point out one single flaw and that is the network speed. DigitalOcean's network speed, sometimes, is a little slow! But for the most part, it is fast enough to get your work done and doesn't seem slow when operating the web server.

It only seems a little slow during updates and when they are being pulled from the repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a simple VPS hosting service that is cheap and gives you all the power you need. DigitalOcean is the place to be!

They offer great coupons to get started with $10 (pay $5 to activate your account) and then you now have $15 to work with and 3 months of hosting for their smallest VPS with 2 months completely free!

For companies they have great options and to be very clear, the speed at which development and production servers can be spun, with their API even, is very quick and allows for amazing flexibility!

Currently we run a few VPS servers that control our main development "board". All of our developers use these servers running Dokku in order to fast deploy our test applications before releasing it to the market. We have a few production servers as well but mostly development servers.

We all connect to the servers via an API and I personally have access to the main panel. From their we can easily create, delete or back up droplets!

The main clear benefit is that it is dirty cheap and super simple. The backups allow for lower chances and point's for failure and the speed allows us to develop much faster on the servers unlike many other development environments! Over all, LOVE DigitalOcean!

DigitalOcean review by Miah Raihan Mahmud A.
Miah Raihan Mahmud A.

"A money saver virtual cloud servers platform for Developers and Beginners"

What do you like best?

Simple and friendly UI for managing servers and prebuilt images for various development stacks. HDDs are SSDs which means the images run very quickly. I love their referrer program! You can earn up to 25$ from a referee and there is no limit to the amount of credit you can earn through referrals! Their pricing model is fantastic for Beginners and Startups. Bandwidth is excellent and fast! One-click Apps and Snapshots features are great for beginners to try out different services. Their community documentations are so rich that it is easy to find the right solution for server guidelines.

What do you dislike?

Though their pricing model is reasonable, however instead of some fixed pricing model, they should allow users to customize server RAM, CPU, Bandwidth, HDD and charge them accordingly. If you stop your server they will still charge you, unless you take a snapshot of it and then destroy it. Limited Bandwidth should be increased for lower priced plans.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Want to try out how to setup a server or want to become a sysadmin? Want to play with your business idea? Then i would recommend you to go with 5$ DigitalOcean plan and follow their community guidelines.

I am developing web applications in my professional life. Sometimes we need to test our applications before going production. For testing web applications we are using DigitalOcean 5$ plan, which saves lots of money. Then for production web applications we use DigitalOcean's bigger plans based on applications size

DigitalOcean review by Swadesh S.
Swadesh S.

"One of the best VPS provider for the price"

What do you like best?

Pricing, you simply can not beat the pricing of digitalocean for every size. Starting from $5 per month for 512MB RAM and 20GB of storage, it is insanely cheap. Even scaling up the prices are reasonable. We liked DO for many reasons, some of them are

a. SSDs, whichever size we chose, super fast disk IO

b. Gigabit LAN, with generous per month total limit on transfer

c. Dedicated static ip

d. Can create snapshots of a machine to restore from later

e. One click apps with some of the most popular services available right out of box

f. SSH/ webconsole access

g. Vanilla distributions that can be configured any way we liked

h. Can configure it to notify if/when we are going over a certain configurable limit

What do you dislike?

Something I missed was uploading a custom image to create a server from. Apart from that, firewall would have been great, but thats nitpicking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digitalocean was all we needed for most of our tasks, and I suspect you will feel the same. Give it a spin, you might never leave it.

Previously we used openshift to run our custom, in house servers but quickly ran into a wall when not using any of their pre-built configurations. We needed root, and realized the need for a VPS. Decided upon DO after comparing the cost (when do we not) and never looked back. Right now we have a few for a database, a nodejs server and then some.

DigitalOcean review by Bharat S.
Bharat S.

"Simple VM service with top-notch Gitlab integration"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean (DO) is quite awesome because of these:

1. Customer Support is very quick to respond and also helpful. They might not be always available like Amazon's, but they usually respond within 30 minutes with very detailed solution, not just pre-canned replies.

2. Integration with Gitlab CI runners - Gitlab has recently announced integration with DO to easily add private test runners. They provide a free runner, but for customizability or more dedicated performance, you can just spin up a droplet with their image and integrate with it from Gitlab UI.

3. Supports many kind of Unix distributions - DO is simple yet quite customizable and this kind of features are increasing in a matter of moths, now that they have the core business flourishing. It currently supports many lesser popular UNIX flavours like CentOS, CoreOS, FreeBSD. Frankly speaking, I have spinned up this droplets quite a few times to get hang of this systems, rather than installing it on my own machine following complicated guides.

4. Onecloud support - DO also supports what they call - "one-click" images of different popular applications like Ghost, Docker, Django and others. Among those, I find the Onecloud app very useful as it lets you host your own cloud document hosting server like Google Docs alongwith email, calendar and some other plugins. For a private team. this can be very useful.

5. Rest API - DigitalOcean REST API is very well designed and lets you start, stop or modify any droplet via http requests.

What do you dislike?

1. Scaling is hard on DO - Droplets are easy to start, but putting them together for horizontal scaling or failover is hard as you would need custom implementation - it is not configurable via their UI.

2. Less option compared to AWS - DO has a few levels of droplets with more and more resources available on the higher ones, but it is not possible to just add more of one type of resource like RAM or hard disk space without completely moving to a higher droplet scheme, which effectively gives you higher amount of everything but also costs much more.

3. No servers near India - DO has recently started a datacenter at Singapore, which is the only one in whole of Asia and so, usually quite overloaded in capacity. It would be critical for Indian businesses to have a nearby server location for lower ping response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is very simple and fast to get started with. If you need a server for a dedicated purpose and wont need to communicate much with other ones, then DO ia very good option as it does a lot of configurations for you. It gets simple jobs out of your way very quickly.

But if you need a server with more of one kind of resources for faster processing or as part of a mesh of boxes, AWS is probably a more configurable option.

I am a long-time Gitlab user as part of our organizations decision to use self-hosted CI platform. We used to have our own servers configured as dedicated test runner for Gitlab, but after Gitlab announced the availability of DO as another option, we have shifted to it as it is much easier to maintain it with their own provided image.

The test runner is not a server that we wanted to maintain ourself any more as it adds a lot to our headache and is very critical for smooth running of our CI system. Putting it on DO effectively makes it someone else's problem and we also hope to get higher reliability and flexibility from this.

DigitalOcean review by Erik R.
Erik R.

"Sexy easy and fast"

What do you like best?

Super simple to get started, to understand, fast to use and actively working very hard on their offering.

What do you dislike?

The all-or-nothing approach to your droplets. You can't scale up RAM or storage space, but they are working on adding block-storage, which is a pretty good start to this. Would love to have a private networking thing where you can connect your droplets and create a super simple private network. I am sure that if DigitalOcean were to build this they would succeed amazingly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a lot of stuff and have very little ops capabilities, AWS is probably still the thing for you, but ease of use will have you longing over too Digitalocean.

Hosting a couple of multi-service web services on docker. Initially everything was based on ansible and bash scripts to provision, but thanks to the epic integration with Docker and docker-machine, I'm moving everything to Docker.

DigitalOcean review by Wiljan S.
Wiljan S.

"A very happy user for a while now"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to create an account and an image. Everything just works, images/VPS's are created in no time and the DigitalOcean dashboard is very user friendly. Also the price was great in comparison with other hosting providers (with the same specifications), I switched from shared hosting which was of course lots cheaper. But for a VPS DigitalOcean was pretty low in price.

What do you dislike?

Not much I could say here. I've never encountered any problems with the service like downtime or bugs where I had to contact the customer service. One thing, but this is no dealbreaker for me could be payments being withdrawn monthly. Right now it works with a wallet system, and once or twice a year I've to upgrade this, which is a lot.

Other dislikes are based on me being cheap :)

I'm not using DigitalOcean for customers, the use of the VPS is primarily for my personal site. Occasionally I put personal/pet projects on there, but nothing using large amounts of data or computing power.

I chose a VPS instead of a shared hosting to experiment with running server and being able to use service like Node.JS. Those services are (in my findings) not installable on shared hosting.

DigitalOcean review by Jamie H.
Jamie H.

"An excellent service at a great price"

What do you like best?

The service is incredibly easy to use and is incredibly cheap. I use Digital Ocean for testing various pieces of software safe in the knowledge that I can configure an instance and tear it down when I'm finished with it. It supports the deployment of various OS' in a single click and there is a wealth of tutorials to help you get started if you need pointers for anything.

What do you dislike?

I genuinely don't think there is anything I dislike about Digital Ocean.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need reliable infrastructure at a good price that's incredibly easy to se up and use then Digitial Ocean is for you. I find it incredibly useful for prototyping and testing, especially when investigating differences between operating systems. The fact that droplets can be torn down quickly means no time is wasted in having to configure virtual machines locally.

Mostly prototyping and testing. It's so inexpensive in terms of both finance and time spent configuring that you can deploy software to the web and mess around with it and the value massively outweighs the cost.

DigitalOcean review by Chris P.
Chris P.

"All-around great solution if it fits your needs"

What do you like best?

I have not been able to beat their pricing for what you get. A full VPS for $5/month? Not easy to find. Having a VPS is beneficial since you can basically install and configure everything exactly as you like. This requires technical expertise of course, but if you have or hire it, then any limits you would have with shared hosting (which could cost you more than DigitalOcean) are removed.

What do you dislike?

Really not much at all. Here are a few very minor things, just to have something to say:

- Not necessarily good for beginners. However, their documentation is great, so if you are willing to put in some work, you can easily figure it out

- Speed - some operations are a bit slow, but they are the types of things you would expect - imaging, provisioning, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the expertise (or hire it) to run a non-managed VPS (Virtual Private Server). Basically, if you choose a non-managed VPS, you are the system administrator of the server. You are responsible for security, updates, troubleshooting - tons of little things you may not even know about if you are used to managed and/or shared hosting.

Running my own hosting for various sites and services. Cheaper hosting than if I were running on many popular shared hosts, and much higher ability to customize and play around with things.

DigitalOcean review by Aaron B.
Aaron B.

"Long time power user review of the Digital Ocean platform"

What do you like best?

I like the pre-baked VM images. The Docker image is excellent and is ready for production out of the box. The Wordpress image was so simple to work with that anyone can have a blog running in a few minutes. The documentation that they provide for installing 3rd party services is excellent. The support for IPV6 is a nice feature and something that is lacking in other service providers.

What do you dislike?

The lack of a true virtual private network is a problem for many of my production applications. The lack of a storage service constantly causes headaches for our team. It makes running production databases almost impossible as there's now way to add storage after the instance is created. I'm often unable to use Digital Ocean due to compliance reasons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean is an excellent platform for bringing up single VM's and running them. The ease and simplicity of spinning up a new server is unmatched. You'll find that when it comes to some of the larger cloud providers Digital Ocean's feature set comes up short. If you're looking to run a few VM's without needing to have them highly available then Digital Ocean is a great place to start.

I've worked with Digital Ocean as a service provider for our PaaS. We offer multiple regions and Digital Ocean always resonates with our developer community. Digital Ocean also makes it extremely easy for new team members to spin up VM's without having to worry about the complexity of the AWS environment.

DigitalOcean review by Ivan B.
Ivan B.

"Better than local VM"

What do you like best?

It's not OpenVZ. True virtualization. Works precisely up to assigned resources. Very cheap.

Awesome support!!! It's even possible to boot into your custom Linux kernel after the base boots.

Ping is very low, ssh works like a charm.

Has powerful API for dynamical creation new droplets, firing up from images. Can be integrated with your distributed auto-balanced self-healing microservices ecosystem.

Much more cheaper than Amazon!

What do you dislike?

Reboots caused by disk failures happens 2 times per year. But never lost my data. Sometimes permanent connection lost but I think that that's my local Internet Provider who does that.

Not highly georgaphically distributed. Has no supercheap containers (with 250 M).

No power on/power off officially supported app for iOS/Android. But otherwise, they don't make money on me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

True virtual resources. Works as expected. But think about load distribution over multiple datacenters.

MVP design, ideas testing, globally available always-on personal virtual machine.

I know that I can deploy multi-datacenter solution with failover and load balancing just for $5 per node!

I tested a lot of concepts, hosted Node.js apps, DNS server, HTTPS (both in Node and in Nginx), Meteor. Installed a lot of node packages. Have compiled a lot of very complex things (with automake etc.). Tested geo-distribution using other vendor. Tested DNS-based HTTP/HTTPS browser 'load balancing' (actually, it's failover and distribution based on DNS packets UDP delay).

Learning about DigitalOcean?

* We monitor all DigitalOcean reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.