DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean provides the best tools to control your virtual server in the cloud. Learn how we deliver the most intuitive interface and features so you can start building your web infrastructure today.

Work for DigitalOcean?

Learning about DigitalOcean?

DigitalOcean Reviews

Showing 165 DigitalOcean reviews
DigitalOcean review by <span>Aaron M.</span>
Aaron M.

"Improving company with some way to go"

What do you like best?

I like their easy to use control panel and transparent simple costs. Their new services are also great as they keep bringin out great tools that any sysadmin would be happy to have. Their one click installs to spin up severs with pre installs of variuos tools its great for people not so used to severs.

What do you dislike?

When I first started to use then in 2014 there customer service was the best. But as the compant grew that disapeared and the helpful guy on the end of the ticket service stopped being so helpful but just sending guides on how to do things. Not good if you are new to the servers. But I do understand this. I dont like however that you can only contact them via a ticket. Other services have phone customer service and thing Digital Ocean miss this

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price and simple to use UI is great and makes it the best place for companies with less sever exsperiance to start. They have great documentation and they are adding new services all the time to allow you to create really cool infastructures.

I need a way of spining up customer severs fast and have a repliable but cost efficeint service. Digital ocean was a good soloution for this. They have alot of useful guides to help people new to severs and they have a lot one click soloutions that make life easier.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DigitalOcean
DigitalOcean review by <span>Nathan B.</span>
Nathan B.

"Awesome Customer support"

What do you like best?

the best thing and the one thing stands out from similar services out there is the customer support offered by the digital ocean. I had many troubles with WordPress and accessing the servers from the first day. the customer service was always there for me and fixed the issue each time within minutes. absolutely delighted. they also offer a free trial that gave me $50 in free credits to test their services and it lasted good 6-8 months and i have to say i'm more than impressed. the servers are fast and my website started to load with a blink of an eye. even after the trial, its really affordable and they got a plan for everybody irrespective of your budget;. all their servers are equipped with SSD's so that your servers will be blazing fast and website respond as well as loading time will be really cut down short. they also offer a wide range of operating systems and scripts for you to choose for installing on the servers. the setup of servers is also pretty quick you just need a few clicks and done. its also pretty easy to manage or destroy a server you've created. the interface sin't really complicated and most users won't have a trouble moving through the website.

What do you dislike?

they dont offer windows servers and I really find this as a downside of the host. i also had a few troubles with the SSH access.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the servers are great as well as the customer support and i highly recommend yo ut ogo with digital ocean even thou you can find cheaper services in the web.

Hosting my websites on the cloud as well as running applications on cloud servers.

What Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) solution do you use?

DigitalOcean review by <span>Maxim A.</span>
Maxim A.

"Love it"

What do you like best?

Ability to deploy, upgrade or downgrade server specs as needed at any point + flexible pricing. For example, at some point a certain project would not compile due to low end server specs. I was able to easily upgrade the server, compile the project and downgrade the server back. If I need to test some software I can deploy a new server with one-click configuration in a few minutes, test the software and discard the server.

Another great thing is community guides. Plenty of useful information to help deploy and configure various software and environments. DigitalOcean dashboard is nice and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I had at some point is outgoing email delivery due to blacklisted IP address. Some email providers had to blacklist a whole range of IPs belonging to Digital Ocean. This might be a result of how easy it is to deploy a server and abuse it for unsolicited email delivery. To be fair it’s something that any cloud provider might experience and DO support was quite helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a referral link to get free credit to try the service

I’m running web sites for my own software products. Nothing big, so a cheap low end server spec is enough for me. I’ve been using DigitalOcean for a few years now and I'm happy with it.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Amy F.</span>
Amy F.

"Fast Severs,Awesome Support"

What do you like best?

I moved to the digital ocean to host my website in the cloud as it could help my on-page SEO by reducing the website loading speed. I was really impressed by the Service provided by them, the servers are fast and really easy to configure. within a few clicks, you can easily create a server with WordPress preinstalled on them. they also gave me a free trial worth $20 which helped me to test the server for a period of around 4 months. another great thing is the pricing, its real customer friendly and can be afforded by everyone. I have to mention the support here, they are really great. I didn't know much about hosting in the cloud and ran into many issues with my WordPress setup. every time the digital ocean support was there to help me out. the website comes with a beautiful user-friendly interface, I had no trouble navigating through the site. the uptime provided is really impressive, in the whole time I was with the digital ocean only once my website went down that too the mistake was on my side. their servers run on SSD, so don't have to say how fast they are. my website started loading in a blink of an eye and surely helped mine on page SEO.

What do you dislike?

this is not the cheapest service for cloud hosting in the market, there are several companies that offer similar server specifications for a cheaper price. once they put my account under verification for no reason at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the servers are blazing fast. i do recommend you to try them.

Hosting my WordPress blog on cloud

DigitalOcean review by <span>Neil H.</span>
Neil H.

"Blazing Fast Severs"

What do you like best?

the best thing about Digital ocean is the speed of the servers and its the one quality that impressed me the most about them.all of the servers got SSD in them so that your website will load in a blink of a second. i used to host my website in shared hostings and the speed increased exponentially since moving to cloud hostings. the pricing is also cheap, you can get web hosting services starting at just $5 per month which is pretty impressive compared to the quality of service offered. the customer service is another perk about the digital ocean, I had no knowledge on cloud hosting before when moving to the digital ocean and ran into many errors, the customer service was always there for me and replied almost instantly to the queries. the setup is pretty easy, the digital ocean dashboard is really simple and quite easily move around the website. the server setup is very straightforward and you can deploy servers which is called droplets with only few clicks. the servers can be made to run on a variety of scripts and popular operating systems as per ones need.

What do you dislike?

the payment gateway can be troublesome and i frequently got my card denied for so reason at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

this is one of the best cloud hosting providers in the market, go with them.

Hosting websites in cloud servers. the service is great and the servers are incredibly fast. my website started to load much faster.

DigitalOcean review by <span>martin l.</span>
martin l.

"Fast but Not cheap"

What do you like best?

the performance of the servers is really great, they are fast and powerful. used it to host my domain and the speed of the loading is really impressive. the customer service is also great,, usually, they respond within minutes to your queries. The setup of the servers and interface is also great and noobie friendly. back in the time, i didn't know much about cloud computing but the way around digital ocean was so easy and i had no trouble navigating or setting up the servers. another great thing with Digital Ocean was the Free trial offer that allows users to test their server for a period of 60 days. I too started out with their Free trial and really liked the performance provided by them. they also have a lot of servers all across the globe to choose from.

What do you dislike?

the billing is really troublesome, sometimes it works sometimes it won't, it's really frustrating. another problem with the digital ocean is with the web console, it always fails when I try to log in and eventually contacted the support and got it fixed. the pricing is not the cheapest, you can get servers with same specifications for a cheaper price from competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

they are fast but not the cheapest. so choose according to your need.

Hosting my websites on Cloud, the servers are really fast and my website loads much faster after moving to the digital ocean.

DigitalOcean review by <span>John R.</span>
John R.

"The Best Cloud Service out There."

What do you like best?

I started out using Digital Ocean through their free Credit Promotion which offered $50 towards using their Servers. It tried it for about a month and my website never went down a single minute while I'm with them so I decided to choose their servers to host my website permentanly.. the performance of the servers is of superior quality. also, the customer support provided by the digital ocean is quite satisfactory. they used to respond to any queries within minutes.

What do you dislike?

THe cost, Comparing to other cloud providers out in the market, the service provided by Digital ocean is a bit Costly that for someone starting out their business it can be a burden on them. I had few troubles with them at the beginning, once they put my account on hold because they thought that something was suspicious of the account and they resolved it within few minutes, another issue I had with them is with the interface also the options provided by them is so confusing that as a noob i had few trouble setting up my servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its one of the faster servers in the market. you won't be disappointed.

Cloud servers used to host my websites and create regular backups.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Gareth E.</span>
Gareth E.

"Rock Solid Hosting. ZERO downtime in 3 years. Nuff Said."

What do you like best?

The easiest to use and the most reliable platform for hosting I have come across. I don't use anything else in my business now. Whats not to like. Easy fast deployment, amazing prices, built in dynamic scalability. Full image backups. An excellent platform I trust completely and do not see switching to anything else in the future.

What do you dislike?

I am hard pressed to dislike anything. It is all very straightforward. Being able to downsize droplets dynamically would be nice I guess. But that is an idle notion with no concept of the difficulty in facilitating that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean has been completely reliable for me, and never had any issues. Ever. Server performance and reliability are first class, and recommend these all day to anyone who listens.

Scale. Glorious scale & cost. DO allows me to work with the resources I need, and increase capacity as and when I need, without headaches.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Devon L.</span>
Devon L.

"It's Amazing, Until It Isn't"

What do you like best?

* Super easy to get up and running fast

* UI/UX is clean & intuitive

* Pricing is transparent

* Competitive entry level price point

* Only pay for what you use

What do you dislike?

* Support - It's impossible to get anyone on the phone. Tickets are answered in a 1 response every 24 hour cadence. If you're hosting a single, simple SMB website, where responsibilities are shared across a dedicated team, I can being happy with their support. They're really good at copy/pasting well written solutions to common problems. I had an SSH Key Authentication break and found it annoying that "there isn't any other authentication or access options we [DO] can offer" other than taking the server offline, removing the image, and asking me to manually redeploy from scratch. That was annoying, but I get it. Unmanaged hosting an what not. My issue was that I had to open up 4 tickets over the course of a month to get that answer. The first three were either not responded to or closed less than 24 hours after answering a question with a question. That seems to be common practice. Again, if you're sitting around at your computer just waiting for DO support to e-mail you, then that's ok. If you're spinning 14 different plates like Red Panda it's no bueno.

* No Backup/Redundancy Features! - This is reason I chose to leave a poor review. I am currently a Master's Student at Harvard and had been a relatively content DO customer for a little over 2 years. In the midst of my month long struggle inability to SSH into the root directory of my server – which was going on in the middle of finals – DO had issues processing my payment (which barring evidence to the contrary was probably my fault). I responded saying:

"I am interested in keeping my account open, but I need someone to help

identify why I can't access my server. Can you please have someone get back

to me?"

At which time, they opened up a 5th ticket and seemingly unaware of the first 4 responded with:

"Hey there, thanks for reaching out to us! What issues are you experiencing reaching the Droplet? We'd be happy to help in any way we can! :)"

At this point, I'm working 18 hours a day between work and school, and decided to deal with it the end of the month, post exams. Turns out, that was a HUGE MISTAKE! Over a outstanding balance of $23.61 they shut down my server a few days after the above exchange, sent one automated e-mail, and then wiped the server clean 2 later. 2 years of work just vanished forever, completely unrecoverable. I'm not a complete moron. I had personal backups of my major projects, but I did loose a website I created using DO's 1-click WordPress install app. Lost 100+ hours of work and generated content. That whole site was probably less than a MB. I figured they'd at least backup their word press installs the same way most other providers do. Nope.

I take responsibility for what happened. They were within their rights. I just think that's a stupid way of doing business. When I was evaluating providers in a professional capacity a few months, knowing how cavalier they are as a company towards their customers data didn't inspire a lot of confidence. 99 times out of 100 it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not risking my business on those odds.

The crazy thing to me is, I'd have paid $300 for that backup without batting an eye. I'd still do it 6 months later. Google for one understands this. Anyone notice what happens when you overload you Drive storage limits? They don't cancel your plan, delete your data, or ever stop you from uploading more. They just wait a few months until you drive folder is 370% full and then tell you your e-mail is going to stop working unless you make space or pay more money. That's smart business. And, I guarantee that when they lock user's out of their e-mail accounts they don't close the account or stop storing the data. I guarantee they keep all those e-mails as an incentive to pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure it's the right product for your use case. If you're managing a single site with a quality technical team, it's a great fit. If you're an individual or agency managing lots of projects on a single server and want the peace of mind that you can go on a month long honeymoon and not have your business wrecked by your hosting provider, I'd choose another solution. It's worth the extra pocket change. For larger tech companies, I'd suggest going with Amazon or Google, because they're need to maximize server usage doesn't outweigh their desire to protect your data and keep you happy.

I was looking for a one-stop shop location to host a myriad of personal development projects.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Malkit S.</span>
Malkit S.

"True 0 downtime, easy to setup and well maintained how-to docs."

What do you like best?

Have been using DO from almost a year now and the best thing about DO is it's quite smooth and user-friendly interface which does great things behind the scene like spinning up of virtual servers for you.

Few of best things about DO:-

1. Pay as you go.

2. Increase server configuration easily

3. 2 Factor authorization.

4. Large and useful how to do documents.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they send a verification code on your email when somebody tries to log in on your behalf from remote location. Although it's a good security measure but in situations when you are traveling and your colleagues try to log in on your behalf they are left stuck.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not mature enough in managing server and have tight budget then DO is for you. Go for it you can use technical notes and how to do notes from DO which are easily available.

Our main problem was to host a product on a reliable infrastructure once it was ready. Somebody suggested DO to me and I went just to try but since after we are using this for almost every other product.

We never observed any downtime due to hardware failure and that's the best benefit we have obeserved after switching to DO.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Brian F.</span>
Brian F.

"Robust cloud platform for the serious admin or DevOp"

What do you like best?

Speed of deployment and ease of use are the hallmarks of the Digital Ocean platform. Add in the image, backup and snaphots features and deploying, recovering, moving, updating and other server admin tasks are very easy and accurate.

What do you dislike?

some key features are not available in various datacenters while other features cannot be used with VM's located in different datacenters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean requires that the user have experience and skill with the deployment of servers and with Linux OS. Their help is also strictly email based and while I have experienced acceptable rates for replies, some may need a more immediate and hands on support system.

Creating a scalable, robust and flexible hosting platform for our various web based servers. We have seen significant increase in server performance and scalability with Digital Ocean versus the previous dedicated server environment.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Steven R.</span>
Steven R.

"Easiest way to get a server up and running."

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean has an incredibly easy to use UI. It has a very simple interface that makes it so easy to spin up a new server that even the most inexperienced junior developer can mange the task. It's super simple to throw away test boxes that you no longer need. Its pricing is based on the resources you use, which means you are not locked into paying for a VPS for a minimal term. Only pay for what you use.

What do you dislike?

Its far more expensive than other VPS solutions available. Its cheapest server only has 512MB of RAM for $5/month. Which is not even enough RAM to install NodeJS and build your frontend assets. The next tier up would be the 1GB RAM server for $10/month. There are a number of reliable VPS service providers that can offer 6 times more memory for a fraction of the cost of DigitialOcean's second tier price plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about the price points and the trade off for ease of use. Although its more expensive to run a higher powered machine, its incredibly easy for small simple tests on low powered boxed.

When the business has a need to quickly test a new product in isolation, we can use DigitalOcean to quickly spin up a simple server for testing. It makes it an incredibly easy service for destructible testing.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Richard B.</span>
Richard B.

"Quick & Easy Development and Limited Production Environments"

What do you like best?

There is so much. Quickly and easily spin up a VPS test server with virtually unlimited configuration operations on the cheap. There are a ton of preset distribution stacks to choose from and pre-installed application setups as a starting points. Many options for connecting to administrating your server. The web based control panel is very easy and nice to navigate. There is a good amount of documentation and community authored content to walk you through anything you might want to try. There really isn't any else like it out there. Totally a hosting solution with development testing in mind. That is not to say this won't also work for small production servers.

What do you dislike?

Only just a couple things. First, I think they might have small scale development needs a little too in focus which is a shame if you want the same sort of experience in large scale production deployment cause it simply isn't as affordable in comparison. In my opinion, they need to balance this out a bit more. Second, I'd like a way to quickly clone my VPS to my own back-up facility that is as accessible as just about everything else this provider offers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Again, if you are a developer that needs (or wants) the most affordable way to quickly test virtually any kind of deployment scheme or need lots of small-scale projects up and running in a live environment quickly and cheaply, you will be very hard-pressed to find anything better.

If you constantly need live deployment testing, personal & small-scale client deployment infrastructure, and are a developer looking for the quickest and most affordable way to achieve this that provides one of the most pleasant experiences there is to be had in the web hosting market, there really isn't anything better you can find. It excells at what it specializes in almost every way. But there is always room for improvement.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Hazzim A.</span>
Hazzim A.

"DigitalOcean is perfect for development environments in 1 clicks (almost)"

What do you like best?

The GUI is very intuitive and minimalist, the options are just the minimal (and enough) you will need to deploy a server (or service), the OS's variety is good and cost is the best choice.

What do you dislike?

The monitoring system can be improved and one option to upload your own cloud images could be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the variety of operating systems is good for you, is complicated to find a better option with this easy to use interface and cost.

I'm using DigitalOcean for personal projects and provide training since one year and a half, the cost for the service is great and the VM is available in less than a minute (most of the cases)

DigitalOcean review by <span>Maciej W.</span>
Maciej W.

"The best hosting service on Earth."

What do you like best?

In few seconds, I can run a fully functioning GitLab instance, or Discourse, or plain Fedora image. It's amazing.

Variety of droplet sizes determines variety of prices, thanks to this you can be sure that you will pay for the configuration you really need. Prices are very affordable and you can choose one of the many data centers located around the world.

2 months vacations? Not a problem. Take a snapshot of your ownCloud droplet and turn it on when you need it again, all data will be in place.

The best feature for me is a tutorial repository created by community and DigitalOcean staff. Clear instructions and explanations = great knowledge base.

What do you dislike?

After a clean installation of some images, there are some steps you should take to ensure security. Usually, it's a good idea to check few tutorials related to your image to make sure that your configuration is secure. It's not a big problem, but I think that users should get more direct instructions after installation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a student you can get some free credits for DigialOcean with GitHub students pack. If you are not a student you can use a referral link to get $10 credits to test the service.

This is probably the best hosting in the world. Give it a try :)

I use DigitalOcean to test my web applications and to play with the services I don't know. DigitalOcean is also a hosting for my ownCloud and GitLab used to collaborate with my team.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Sebastian I.</span>
Sebastian I.

"Digital Ocean is hands down the best hosting provider I've ever used."

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean makes spinning up a server stupid simple. I've been using Digital Ocean for about 2 years now, and have since moved all of my web hosting services over to them. You can get an Ubuntu server created and online in less than 2 minutes. They provide dozens of detailed tutorials for getting started with installing a LAMP server on your machine, have great customer support, and the pricing is very reasonable.

What do you dislike?

I honestly have nothing negative to say about the time I've spent using Digital Ocean. 10 out of 10 experience!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a hosting service that's fast, easy to use, and affordable, definitely give Digital Ocean a try. Their cheapest hosting starts at only $5 per month, and allows complete control of the server via SSH. You can use your server for anything. I have several that I use for hosting websites, and two strictly for running Node.js applications and Twitter bots.

Digital Ocean makes maintaining and scaling your web servers a snap. I use them for all of my personal projects, and recently started moving my clients onto Digital Ocean as well. Having all of your droplets in one easy-to-manage place is very helpful.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Ignacio S.</span>
Ignacio S.

"Do you want a VPS with an AWESOME support? This is the choosen one."

What do you like best?

The best is the Support. This people sell self managed VPS and you can think - "I need to do this by my own" - and yeah you are right but even with that if you have a problem with your system, this guys helps you without doubts.

What do you dislike?

The current VAT tax system, it assumes the country from the payment from the origin of your card. I do use Payoneer, the origin is the UK but I'm in Colombia, they keep charging me with the VAT tax. (I already tried opening a ticket).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The support is AWESOME, this people knows what are they doing. They are growing up an that is nice.

Cloud Server for clients.

DigitalOcean review by <span>David L.</span>
David L.

"Awesome platform for simple setups"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean is an awesome platform. The really stick to their marketing about getting a virtual machine stood up super fast. They rarely have outage issues that affect my use and their one-click apps make standing up applications like Ghost or GitLab. They are also a very open company letting customers know about issues or updates happening in the company and in their data centers.

What do you dislike?

They don't have nearly as many features as other cloud providers. Some might like that for the simplicity, but for me, it means that I have to use multiple cloud providers because I want to use DigitalOcean for simple in-house applications and need more robust features for client projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is constantly evolving. In the past couple years, they've made huge strides towards competing with the big 3 (Amazon, Google, Azure) and will continue to make steps in the years to come.

We just needed somewhere to put servers. Rather than buying hardware and managing it in house, we decided to move to the cloud. DigitalOcean offered a cost-efficient and easy to setup cloud that allowed us to get servers and applications running quickly.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Wasi M.</span>
Wasi M.

"One of the best hosting providers"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Fast, reliable, uninterrupted, highly useful. I also like the dashboard, pretty much everything of digitalocean. Also, they supports students as well which is great!

What do you dislike?

They don't support payment gateway's like payoneer. I extensively use payoneer which makes it really difficult to use this service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended! Its really a good service with almost 99.99% up time reliable, and fast!.However, one thing to note that digital ocean doesn't support debit card/ virtual prepaid cards.

Most of the projects we have developed were hosted on digital ocean more importantly our clients were satisfied with the service so do we!

DigitalOcean review by <span>Brandon M.</span>
Brandon M.

"Cloud hosting for the rest of us"

What do you like best?

Various levels of affordability and excellent customer service. I would have to say that the support system, including the online search function makes it easy to learn more about their services, best practices and how to do many various tasks.

The times I did need to submit a support ticket, I always got a response very quickly.

What do you dislike?

I literally do not dislike any of Digital Ocean's services or practices. Also, I would like to point out that since I started using DigitalOcean, any issues I have had have been cleared up quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give them a shot. They have a free trial, and I liked them enough to switch over.

Also, don't be afraid to put in a support ticket if you have questions, I have always received a quick and friendly response.

You have to have hosting and Digital Ocean gives me the freedom to have my own server at a cost I can afford.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Justin E.</span>
Justin E.

"DO provides very flexible cloud computing services for nearly every use case"

What do you like best?

I enjoy having control of the VPS via SSH as well as the web interface DO provides. Only being charged for the time it's online is another bonus.

What do you dislike?

Can be complex to setup, but hey that's what comes with configuring a a server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need help setting anything up Google is your friend. I had no prior knowledge or usage with Linux distro's before stepping into SSHing into a Droplet. it was a fun time learning. Digital Ocean has a ton of great guides on setting up production ready configurations, look into it regardless of whether or not you're using their services!

Being able to start up a droplet with a pre-installed MEAN package and have CI enabled from the get go with my git repo is a blessing in itself. Digital Ocean makes it straight forward when setting up preconfigured machines for typical usage, where they shine is using SSD's for all standard storage, 20GB minimum. The machines are a pleasure to use.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Mike K.</span>
Mike K.

"Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

The documentation on the Digital Ocean site is extensive and really well composed. I used it regularly even for projects for which Digital Ocean isn't involved. The prices are very reasonable as well.

What do you dislike?

From my limited understanding of Virtual Private Hosting, there are limitations to the quality of the hosting compared to some other VPS options. Sadly I'm not clear on what they are yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want ease of implementation, DO is it.

Using a virtual private server is more affordable than an actual private server by a massive margin. Private servers as opposed to Shared Hosting are often faster, give a private IP address and give me access to Super User.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Ravi B.</span>
Ravi B.

"Good for personal data/document storage and hosting"

What do you like best?

1. Great user guides - DigitalOcean has a good number of user guides contributed by both their staff and the community, which can help any novice user get started with different kind of projects. It starts from the basics like securing you linux box and goes on to initiate you to OwnCloud and helping you with step-by-step guides on how to set it up on a DigitalOcean droplet. I could easily follow the steps on all the guides and really loved them.

2. Wide availability - DigitalOcean has server options in Singapore, US, Russia and even recently India (announced, but not yet available) - which is great for such a nascent company. The scale of growth and choices they offer have really ensured me to trust with their product. The pricing at different places is the exact same, which is very helpful and quite frankly, unbelievable. I have not seen any other vendor with such options. Also, this helps in ensuring that your client data never leaves the required geographical frame, which is critical for maintaining project safety.

What do you dislike?

I am overall a huge fan of DigitalOcean, so I might be a little biased towards them. But here is still a small thing that I think should improve in the future.

They should allow 3DSecure cards for Indian customers, as most Indians dont have credit card, but only debit cards. Also, those cards are not usually international, leading to a huge problem for potential customers. As they are thinking of entering India with new datacentres, this is quite a huge drawback in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a personal server for simple things like data backup and secured access, I think DigitalOcean is a fine option for that.

I use it for hosting personal docements as a backup option. Owncloud is the application which manages all of it, alongwith a secured access page on the droplet IP. It is almost a replacement for Google Docs.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Ranit C.</span>
Ranit C.

"Decent performance for automated testing and deployment"

What do you like best?

Official and community documentation on running automated Javascript testing is quite detailed, so it is easy to shift from hosted services to custom servers on DigitalOcean. It is also really cheap for the processing power as specialised testing services charge steeply per hour, project as well as concurrent builds.

As you have full access to your server, it is just trivial to maintain, build and tear your dev environment with apt-get, unlike all the voodoo with TravisCI docker builds.

Other than the raw servers, the user tools on droplet pages help you a lot with recovering from forgot password or need easy backup situations. Those add-ons services really are praise-worthy from user perspective.

What do you dislike?

In terms of testing performance, because the server resources are statically allocated during droplet creation, it is not easily possible to elastically upgrade when the build load is higher. They have recently added resource upgradation tools but they are only available statically after shut-down, which doesnt totally solve my usecase.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have not explored other VPS solutions before DigitalOcean, so I cant compare with its competition, but I think at its price point there is hardly anything to complain about.

We build and test our internal tools on DigitalOcean servers using an automated dockerized solution.

We used to use testing-only services for this purpose, but they dont scale well financially for larger projects and concurrent builds. They were better due to their dashboards and parameterized config file instead of code-based configuration, but we decided that it was easy enough to replicate the same with GitLab. The speedup was worth the trade-off.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Suresh S.</span>
Suresh S.

"Provides instant VPS servers and has very helpful support team"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean provides servers that you can create and destroy by the press of a button, with various specs and Linux-based OSs. The blank ones start operating in about 90 seconds, but restoring from images take a few minutes. I signed up for them and was blown away by the simplicity they provided to the end-users even while providing such a complex system with many customizable things.

The team iterates very fast and pushes major changes in a matter of months after announcing their plans to do so. Their international expansion is also something to respect with presence in many continents on customer demand. Most of all, the whole experience with DO is very friendly and cosy, unlike Amazon's AWS or others. DO is seriously focused on simple UX, friendly branding, developer-oriented campaigns that is almost unheard of for a company which is essentially providing servers at low cost. I would even say that they have tried to successfully unearth a new set of customers who are slightly tech-savvy, but would earlier cringe from the idea of hosting their own servers - showing how simple it is and providing detailed documentation on many helpful use-cases, they have earned the love of a lot of customers.

Another great thing about DigitalOcean is their support team, who have on numerous occasions helped me in setting up accounts and payments and were fast to respond within 15 minutes or so. Although they dont have any live chat, their support tickets are as good as that with thoughtful and actionable responses.

What do you dislike?

In spite of their best efforts, recently introduced features like block storage, one-click applications, DNS setup have introduced more complexity which sometimes might baffle new users.

They have recently decided to add pricing for system images, which is unavoidable for most users and seems like a unfavourable decision to users, in face of their low pricing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a simple option for hosting personal servers, DigitalOcean is the best solution in the market. But if you really know what you are doing, there are some more customizable solutions like those provided by Amazon.

We use it for hosting codebase for internal repositories that our developers work on every day.

Having custom server solves our security problems as well as gives more flexibility in operations.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Siva G.</span>
Siva G.

"Simple, Painless, Cost effective Cloud solution"

What do you like best?

Predictable pricing model, Easy to use interface for creating Droplets, Many pre-defined OS Config available, many server locations.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was a way to upgrade(add or remove) just Hard disk space or RAM when needed rather than upgrading to entire plan where i don't need all the other requirement such as extra bandwidth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it first and you will be amazed at how ease it is to deploy your application to the server. It has all the requirements to scale up once your app reaches the moon.

Scalable web hosting solution. It also has lot of articles and how-to's for beginner to learn and deploy the application.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Blake D.</span>
Blake D.

"Cheap NGINX droplets deployed fast - what's not to love?"

What do you like best?

Affordable, easy to provision environments quickly, environments perform well and are reliable. Solid monitoring capabilities available through the UI so you can evaluate the health and performance of your droplets anytime.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was more flexibility in how the backups worked - you're limited to once per week (at least in my current usage tier). Other than that it's difficult to think of anything that I don't like - this is a very purpose-built platform that does one specific thing really well.

We deployed some internal business applications on PHP and have some business logic (REST-based pass throughs connecting different web-based applications that we've procured). DigitalOcean also drives scheduled exports from several of our applications to Klipfolio (a dashboarding engine that we use for physical monitors / mobile here at SmartLinx).

DigitalOcean review by <span>Victor H.</span>
Victor H.

"Good but needs improvement"

What do you like best?

I like DO because it's cheap, and the website UI is great. I also like that they are trying to create a documentation for each kind of language and framework so users can leanr how to configure and deploy their apps.

What do you dislike?

As a Rails developer I have tried following all the docs to be up and running with my own custom server on DO but it was impossible, I tried many many things, but nothing worked, I think they are in the good direction but need to review their posts because they are not working, they do not teach how to deploy a Rails app which is very easy on Heroku but not over DO, again: Videos are the keys, PLEASE make sure you communicate to your users how to deploy a Rails app, it is really hard to do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use it for Rails, you will suffer pains with this.

They are not resolving anything for me. Because it is hard to configure this for Rails apps.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Ranjit M.</span>
Ranjit M.

"Great for hosting websites"

What do you like best?

1. DigitalOcean UI is very helpful with guided links to help get started and also learn more features. Branding is very well done, but even more importantly their docs helped our team a lot in setting up different CMS and frontend build tools like Gulp and Brunch. I really didnt expect what is essentially a hosting service to go beyond their domain and add help files on now to build your frontend projects. Overall, I think the experience they provide is excellent - a role model for any good service to follow,

2. High bandwidth allotment - Default bandwidth of 1TB per month included with the plan is more than sufficient to host any moderate to high traffic website as long as you are serving the static content from a CDN. WIth most services you have to pay for traffic beyond a small limit and with DigitalOcean, we hardly cross a quarter of the limit. Even beyond this usage, the extra charges are very low for what any decent ISP would charge you in India.

3. Support reps are active on various social platforms and also very responsive on any problem you ask them about - ranging from payment to team management.

4. Team management is an essential element which they have finally added and that is what our team just needed to manage so many dev accounts from one place. The admin account can pay all the bills and manage access to the resources for all sub-accounts.

What do you dislike?

I hardly see anything bad with their services, but keep in mind that their outgoing connections can sometime go slow for a few days and sometimes there are temporary restriction on using multiple servers from the same host location.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is a very good choice - I can't recommend them enough.

We use it for building front-end assets and codes and serve them to the visitors from the same servers.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Suman S.</span>
Suman S.

"Provides economic servers with fast boot time"

What do you like best?

1. Server options are very economic - it starts from about $5 for the basic one with 0.5 GB Ram and 20 GB HDD, so pretty powerful for hosting a simple website. You have total SSH access to the machines and they also provide a web SSH shell to try out things faster.

2. Backup, private networking and IPV6 options were added recently making it also suitable for larger infrastructures and complicated networks with fail-safe. Private networking also doesnt count towards your data usage quota, so local access between machines on their same datacentre is essentially as good as that of a self-hosted option.

3. DigitalOcean has a public request submission forum on UserVoice which makes sure that user demands can be communicated efficiently to the developers. They chose and implemented a lot of those popular requested features.

What do you dislike?

1. Documentation can be submitted by anyone, but the review process is very closed and archaic. Comparatively, that of its primary competitor is very much open and is stored in public repos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is one of the most popular options now-a-days for using cloud-hosted VM servers and they provide a small signup credit. So its easy to test it out before committing.

We use VMs provided by DigitalOcean for building and deploying our product to a few separate private servers.

DigitalOcean review by <span>David L.</span>
David L.

"My 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1"

What do you like best?

DO provides the fastest spin-up on what is essentially a VPS server ("droplets"), at a cost-effective and manageable price point.

What do you dislike?

The number of droplets I can create is limited until a request is made to increase the limit. I understand this is probably necessary to avoid certain forms of abuse, but it is one-more-step if you want to be poised to scale rapidly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to take advantage of SSH keys so you can log in without typing a password! Also, take snaphshots whenever you like to have a convenient image to roll back to anytime.

I use droplets instead of my localhost for almost all of my development work now. Having a "localhost in the cloud" is much cleaner, faster, and fun!

DigitalOcean review by <span>Graham C.</span>
Graham C.

"DigitalOcean is an amazing service which is fast, and easy to use. It's my absolute go to."

What do you like best?

Fast server provisioning, great prices, and the ability to make snapshots. Private networking and backups also are super handy too. Their customer service has been spectacular too!

What do you dislike?

Missing shared filesystem support right now, or file storage as a service. We have to use AWS S3. Also, no in-house mail system, or database system, but that is to be expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is perfect for running websites and performing computation tasks using queue workers, however it does not provide database or mail as a service. For that, I'd recommend using something like AWS. Amazon's US East data centre has fast connectivity to Digital Ocean's NY data centres, so using AWS S3 or SES, alongside DigitalOcean is no problem.

We use DigitalOcean to run our databases, cache, sessions, queues, and most of our service, however we have to offload our file storage to AWS S3, and our email sending to AWS SES. This is easy to do though, and Digital Ocean is perfect for us, at a really great price.

Our particular use case is running StyleCI https://styleci.io/. We provide free automated code analysis and fixing, running on Digital Ocean, for all open source PHP projects.

DigitalOcean review by Administrator

"Horrible service and absolute ignorance to loyal customers!!!"

What do you like best?

Used to like reliability. They have moderate prices and good functionality.

What do you dislike?

Ok, so I’ve been using DigitalOcean since 2013 and everything was just fine. An on May 31 2018 something really worrying happened, all my files got deleted and I received this email:

“We sincerely apologize, however, there was an incident impacting the Spaces service that resulted in a number of Spaces and the data within them to be deleted. At this time we're performing a full internal investigation to determine what the cause of the issue was as well as why it happened. Once we have a full understanding and additional details to share, we'll follow up.

At this time, unfortunately, we can confirm that the data within your Spaces has been lost and is not recoverable. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.”

They never informed me further and none of my files were restore. No compensation except for $400 on my account, saying:

“You have been granted credit to use on your DigitalOcean team for $400.00. We’ve updated your balance, which you can view at your team's billing page. Please note that this credit will expire after 12 months if it's not used.”

I took severe loses… Now I am in the process of transferring to another service.

Well, decide for yourself whether use their services, but I am really devastated by both my losses and their absolute ignorance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use this service if you value your own business.

Hosting of entire company's infrastructure. Good functionality and performance.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Anup B.</span>
Anup B.

"Easy to use VM service for individuals, has good documentation and community"

What do you like best?

1. DigitalOcean (DO) is easy to understand and wrap your head around the whole concept - it is mostly just a VM provider where VMs are called Droplet and you can create one or multiple ones on demand - that's all. Compare that to AWS and you'll understand where too much customizability can take you. AWS is literally so comple that you cant even make out which service you actually need.

2. Documentation is very very nice and detailed - they have guides for all topics from basic ones like setting up ssh to advanced like provisioning multiple machines with failsafe. It is always very step-by-step and embedded with images where needed to make sure that you can definitely replicate the same steps. It is not just some geeky instruction where new developers can even understand what some of those terms even mean.

3. They have a playful branding which works really nice and reinforces the thought that they are easy accessible and for everyone.

4. Block storage introduced recently to add extra storage space to your droplets.

What do you dislike?

Although their service started as simple VM service, they were forced to introduce some customizable add-ons due to user request, which in turn makes them a little bit more complex every day. THey have introduced : Private Networking, Creating multiple droplets, Backups, DNS service, Block Storage and a lot more over time. I hope they understand their USP and know where to stop adding more things which are not much useful. I would still congratulate them for keeping UI simple for all that it can do and attracting new users who actually turn into profitable customers with time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have not tried it out, do give it a trial which is free for 2 months. After that, you can make your mind. Even if you dont like it for all your intended purposes, you should find it valuable when you need some quick and dirty server.

We use it to deploy development branch of our products for internal manual and automatic testing. This is like our staging server before we release it. It is easy to setup those machines like our target machines using cloud-init scripts supported by DO.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Jonathan K.</span>
Jonathan K.

"Fast, simple cloud servers for testing and small production usages"

What do you like best?

The usability and speed, it allows you to run testing, fast checks of infrastructure and deployments quickly on small instances without having to spin up whole EC2 sets. It's fast, good for development and a great boon to any developer looking to test server software or other things. Additionally, the general dashboard and access is a very nice experience, and makes everything very fast to access without any fuss in-between. Server provisioning can literally be done in less than 15 mouse clicks, which can't really be said for any other major provider. That said, the API could do with some work in terms of what data you can export and what parts of a server you can modify externally.

What do you dislike?

The pricing model means that if you are using it in production then your monthly fees will quickly skyrocket on larger deployments, additionally there is no secondary backup facility, requiring you to set this up manually. A VM export tool would be an interesting possibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use it for large production setups. It can be really detrimental to your wallet when things get larger, since a lot of the scaling gets very expensive after the larger instances.

In terms of testing large-scale setup procedures such as firewalls on a fast-to-reset cloud platform, it is unparalleled. Additionally, if you need small-scale infrastructure for personal projects or smaller-scale tests, it's a very fast and cheap way to acquire that.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Daniel C.</span>
Daniel C.

"Probably the best cloud service out there today!"

What do you like best?

- The User Experience on DigitalOcean is amazing. everything is clear and friendly.

- The Pricing model is fair and simple to understand, no hidden fees.

- Simplicity, there is no overload of different services and consideration to make. just start a server and work.

What do you dislike?

I would unable more flexibility on droplets setup. i have a few use cases where i do need a lot of RAM for data processing automation but I don't really need a lot of hard drive space and i end up paying for a larger droplet.

I wish DigitalOcean offered a static file hosting service (like S3) for 80% of the use cases where all you need is a simple file server for a static website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is a really good solution if you have a basic setup and you don't what to start thinking too much on implementation.

It is great for the POC/MVP stage of projects and a great fit for simple services or websites.

The performance is good and the support is amazing. they have tutorials for Everything!

It is great for beginners and experienced developers.

DigitalOcean enables me to build a lot of websites on a limited amount of financial resources. unlike the competition it is very very clear how much you will pay at the end of the month and there are no extra fees for the trivial stuff like attaching domains to your servers.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Robert W.</span>
Robert W.

"Cheap and easy, but slightly lacking in performance"

What do you like best?

I love the easy setup of droplets and the simple application installer. I use ghost to run a blog, and their installer makes it much quicker for me to start my app.

What do you dislike?

Their pricing is good but not the cheapest... For example, Vultr offers 800mb (around that) ram for the same price digital ocean offers 512 mb.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to set up ssh, their terminal client it the browser is sub par.

I use digital ocean to run my blog and a ubuntu server on which I host several projects and a sandbox.

My absolute favorite thing about DO is that its charged on a low interval. For example, I can fire up a ubuntu server with 1gig ram for 3 hours for about a cent.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Omar Q.</span>
Omar Q.

"Best platform for any size team!"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean has always been my go to VPS service and development setup environment for as long as it has been around! I love DigitalOcean and the really cheap and powerful VPSes offered to my team!

DigitalOcean gives people many opportunities and helps new customers by giving them coupons that offer you up to a month or two of FREE VPS hosting (based on your VPS size).

DigitalOcean also has a simple plan that is super easy to use and fast. Love the speed, amazing and super easy to work with for teams of all sizes or even individual developers!

For personal projects I can quickly spin up a Droplet (VPS Server), and get up and running in about a minute! For group projects I can run multiple droplets in a production environment way and it works just the same! Spin up as many droplets as I want, when I want (after speaking to the team and removing the 5 droplet limit of course)!

What do you dislike?

To be honest, throughout my years with DigitalOcean I have no noticed anything that I was unhappy with! I truly would like to point out one single flaw and that is the network speed. DigitalOcean's network speed, sometimes, is a little slow! But for the most part, it is fast enough to get your work done and doesn't seem slow when operating the web server.

It only seems a little slow during updates and when they are being pulled from the repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a simple VPS hosting service that is cheap and gives you all the power you need. DigitalOcean is the place to be!

They offer great coupons to get started with $10 (pay $5 to activate your account) and then you now have $15 to work with and 3 months of hosting for their smallest VPS with 2 months completely free!

For companies they have great options and to be very clear, the speed at which development and production servers can be spun, with their API even, is very quick and allows for amazing flexibility!

Currently we run a few VPS servers that control our main development "board". All of our developers use these servers running Dokku in order to fast deploy our test applications before releasing it to the market. We have a few production servers as well but mostly development servers.

We all connect to the servers via an API and I personally have access to the main panel. From their we can easily create, delete or back up droplets!

The main clear benefit is that it is dirty cheap and super simple. The backups allow for lower chances and point's for failure and the speed allows us to develop much faster on the servers unlike many other development environments! Over all, LOVE DigitalOcean!

DigitalOcean review by <span>Miah Raihan Mahmud A.</span>
Miah Raihan Mahmud A.

"A money saver virtual cloud servers platform for Developers and Beginners"

What do you like best?

Simple and friendly UI for managing servers and prebuilt images for various development stacks. HDDs are SSDs which means the images run very quickly. I love their referrer program! You can earn up to 25$ from a referee and there is no limit to the amount of credit you can earn through referrals! Their pricing model is fantastic for Beginners and Startups. Bandwidth is excellent and fast! One-click Apps and Snapshots features are great for beginners to try out different services. Their community documentations are so rich that it is easy to find the right solution for server guidelines.

What do you dislike?

Though their pricing model is reasonable, however instead of some fixed pricing model, they should allow users to customize server RAM, CPU, Bandwidth, HDD and charge them accordingly. If you stop your server they will still charge you, unless you take a snapshot of it and then destroy it. Limited Bandwidth should be increased for lower priced plans.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Want to try out how to setup a server or want to become a sysadmin? Want to play with your business idea? Then i would recommend you to go with 5$ DigitalOcean plan and follow their community guidelines.

I am developing web applications in my professional life. Sometimes we need to test our applications before going production. For testing web applications we are using DigitalOcean 5$ plan, which saves lots of money. Then for production web applications we use DigitalOcean's bigger plans based on applications size

DigitalOcean review by <span>Swadesh S.</span>
Swadesh S.

"One of the best VPS provider for the price"

What do you like best?

Pricing, you simply can not beat the pricing of digitalocean for every size. Starting from $5 per month for 512MB RAM and 20GB of storage, it is insanely cheap. Even scaling up the prices are reasonable. We liked DO for many reasons, some of them are

a. SSDs, whichever size we chose, super fast disk IO

b. Gigabit LAN, with generous per month total limit on transfer

c. Dedicated static ip

d. Can create snapshots of a machine to restore from later

e. One click apps with some of the most popular services available right out of box

f. SSH/ webconsole access

g. Vanilla distributions that can be configured any way we liked

h. Can configure it to notify if/when we are going over a certain configurable limit

What do you dislike?

Something I missed was uploading a custom image to create a server from. Apart from that, firewall would have been great, but thats nitpicking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digitalocean was all we needed for most of our tasks, and I suspect you will feel the same. Give it a spin, you might never leave it.

Previously we used openshift to run our custom, in house servers but quickly ran into a wall when not using any of their pre-built configurations. We needed root, and realized the need for a VPS. Decided upon DO after comparing the cost (when do we not) and never looked back. Right now we have a few for a database, a nodejs server and then some.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Bharat S.</span>
Bharat S.

"Simple VM service with top-notch Gitlab integration"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean (DO) is quite awesome because of these:

1. Customer Support is very quick to respond and also helpful. They might not be always available like Amazon's, but they usually respond within 30 minutes with very detailed solution, not just pre-canned replies.

2. Integration with Gitlab CI runners - Gitlab has recently announced integration with DO to easily add private test runners. They provide a free runner, but for customizability or more dedicated performance, you can just spin up a droplet with their image and integrate with it from Gitlab UI.

3. Supports many kind of Unix distributions - DO is simple yet quite customizable and this kind of features are increasing in a matter of moths, now that they have the core business flourishing. It currently supports many lesser popular UNIX flavours like CentOS, CoreOS, FreeBSD. Frankly speaking, I have spinned up this droplets quite a few times to get hang of this systems, rather than installing it on my own machine following complicated guides.

4. Onecloud support - DO also supports what they call - "one-click" images of different popular applications like Ghost, Docker, Django and others. Among those, I find the Onecloud app very useful as it lets you host your own cloud document hosting server like Google Docs alongwith email, calendar and some other plugins. For a private team. this can be very useful.

5. Rest API - DigitalOcean REST API is very well designed and lets you start, stop or modify any droplet via http requests.

What do you dislike?

1. Scaling is hard on DO - Droplets are easy to start, but putting them together for horizontal scaling or failover is hard as you would need custom implementation - it is not configurable via their UI.

2. Less option compared to AWS - DO has a few levels of droplets with more and more resources available on the higher ones, but it is not possible to just add more of one type of resource like RAM or hard disk space without completely moving to a higher droplet scheme, which effectively gives you higher amount of everything but also costs much more.

3. No servers near India - DO has recently started a datacenter at Singapore, which is the only one in whole of Asia and so, usually quite overloaded in capacity. It would be critical for Indian businesses to have a nearby server location for lower ping response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean is very simple and fast to get started with. If you need a server for a dedicated purpose and wont need to communicate much with other ones, then DO ia very good option as it does a lot of configurations for you. It gets simple jobs out of your way very quickly.

But if you need a server with more of one kind of resources for faster processing or as part of a mesh of boxes, AWS is probably a more configurable option.

I am a long-time Gitlab user as part of our organizations decision to use self-hosted CI platform. We used to have our own servers configured as dedicated test runner for Gitlab, but after Gitlab announced the availability of DO as another option, we have shifted to it as it is much easier to maintain it with their own provided image.

The test runner is not a server that we wanted to maintain ourself any more as it adds a lot to our headache and is very critical for smooth running of our CI system. Putting it on DO effectively makes it someone else's problem and we also hope to get higher reliability and flexibility from this.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Erik R.</span>
Erik R.

"Sexy easy and fast"

What do you like best?

Super simple to get started, to understand, fast to use and actively working very hard on their offering.

What do you dislike?

The all-or-nothing approach to your droplets. You can't scale up RAM or storage space, but they are working on adding block-storage, which is a pretty good start to this. Would love to have a private networking thing where you can connect your droplets and create a super simple private network. I am sure that if DigitalOcean were to build this they would succeed amazingly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a lot of stuff and have very little ops capabilities, AWS is probably still the thing for you, but ease of use will have you longing over too Digitalocean.

Hosting a couple of multi-service web services on docker. Initially everything was based on ansible and bash scripts to provision, but thanks to the epic integration with Docker and docker-machine, I'm moving everything to Docker.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Wiljan S.</span>
Wiljan S.

"A very happy user for a while now"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to create an account and an image. Everything just works, images/VPS's are created in no time and the DigitalOcean dashboard is very user friendly. Also the price was great in comparison with other hosting providers (with the same specifications), I switched from shared hosting which was of course lots cheaper. But for a VPS DigitalOcean was pretty low in price.

What do you dislike?

Not much I could say here. I've never encountered any problems with the service like downtime or bugs where I had to contact the customer service. One thing, but this is no dealbreaker for me could be payments being withdrawn monthly. Right now it works with a wallet system, and once or twice a year I've to upgrade this, which is a lot.

Other dislikes are based on me being cheap :)

I'm not using DigitalOcean for customers, the use of the VPS is primarily for my personal site. Occasionally I put personal/pet projects on there, but nothing using large amounts of data or computing power.

I chose a VPS instead of a shared hosting to experiment with running server and being able to use service like Node.JS. Those services are (in my findings) not installable on shared hosting.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Jamie H.</span>
Jamie H.

"An excellent service at a great price"

What do you like best?

The service is incredibly easy to use and is incredibly cheap. I use Digital Ocean for testing various pieces of software safe in the knowledge that I can configure an instance and tear it down when I'm finished with it. It supports the deployment of various OS' in a single click and there is a wealth of tutorials to help you get started if you need pointers for anything.

What do you dislike?

I genuinely don't think there is anything I dislike about Digital Ocean.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need reliable infrastructure at a good price that's incredibly easy to se up and use then Digitial Ocean is for you. I find it incredibly useful for prototyping and testing, especially when investigating differences between operating systems. The fact that droplets can be torn down quickly means no time is wasted in having to configure virtual machines locally.

Mostly prototyping and testing. It's so inexpensive in terms of both finance and time spent configuring that you can deploy software to the web and mess around with it and the value massively outweighs the cost.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Chris P.</span>
Chris P.

"All-around great solution if it fits your needs"

What do you like best?

I have not been able to beat their pricing for what you get. A full VPS for $5/month? Not easy to find. Having a VPS is beneficial since you can basically install and configure everything exactly as you like. This requires technical expertise of course, but if you have or hire it, then any limits you would have with shared hosting (which could cost you more than DigitalOcean) are removed.

What do you dislike?

Really not much at all. Here are a few very minor things, just to have something to say:

- Not necessarily good for beginners. However, their documentation is great, so if you are willing to put in some work, you can easily figure it out

- Speed - some operations are a bit slow, but they are the types of things you would expect - imaging, provisioning, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the expertise (or hire it) to run a non-managed VPS (Virtual Private Server). Basically, if you choose a non-managed VPS, you are the system administrator of the server. You are responsible for security, updates, troubleshooting - tons of little things you may not even know about if you are used to managed and/or shared hosting.

Running my own hosting for various sites and services. Cheaper hosting than if I were running on many popular shared hosts, and much higher ability to customize and play around with things.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Aaron B.</span>
Aaron B.

"Long time power user review of the Digital Ocean platform"

What do you like best?

I like the pre-baked VM images. The Docker image is excellent and is ready for production out of the box. The Wordpress image was so simple to work with that anyone can have a blog running in a few minutes. The documentation that they provide for installing 3rd party services is excellent. The support for IPV6 is a nice feature and something that is lacking in other service providers.

What do you dislike?

The lack of a true virtual private network is a problem for many of my production applications. The lack of a storage service constantly causes headaches for our team. It makes running production databases almost impossible as there's now way to add storage after the instance is created. I'm often unable to use Digital Ocean due to compliance reasons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean is an excellent platform for bringing up single VM's and running them. The ease and simplicity of spinning up a new server is unmatched. You'll find that when it comes to some of the larger cloud providers Digital Ocean's feature set comes up short. If you're looking to run a few VM's without needing to have them highly available then Digital Ocean is a great place to start.

I've worked with Digital Ocean as a service provider for our PaaS. We offer multiple regions and Digital Ocean always resonates with our developer community. Digital Ocean also makes it extremely easy for new team members to spin up VM's without having to worry about the complexity of the AWS environment.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Ivan B.</span>
Ivan B.

"Better than local VM"

What do you like best?

It's not OpenVZ. True virtualization. Works precisely up to assigned resources. Very cheap.

Awesome support!!! It's even possible to boot into your custom Linux kernel after the base boots.

Ping is very low, ssh works like a charm.

Has powerful API for dynamical creation new droplets, firing up from images. Can be integrated with your distributed auto-balanced self-healing microservices ecosystem.

Much more cheaper than Amazon!

What do you dislike?

Reboots caused by disk failures happens 2 times per year. But never lost my data. Sometimes permanent connection lost but I think that that's my local Internet Provider who does that.

Not highly georgaphically distributed. Has no supercheap containers (with 250 M).

No power on/power off officially supported app for iOS/Android. But otherwise, they don't make money on me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

True virtual resources. Works as expected. But think about load distribution over multiple datacenters.

MVP design, ideas testing, globally available always-on personal virtual machine.

I know that I can deploy multi-datacenter solution with failover and load balancing just for $5 per node!

I tested a lot of concepts, hosted Node.js apps, DNS server, HTTPS (both in Node and in Nginx), Meteor. Installed a lot of node packages. Have compiled a lot of very complex things (with automake etc.). Tested geo-distribution using other vendor. Tested DNS-based HTTP/HTTPS browser 'load balancing' (actually, it's failover and distribution based on DNS packets UDP delay).

DigitalOcean review by <span>Ariful H.</span>
Ariful H.

"Awesome SSD Based Cloud Hosting for Developers"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean (DO) is a developer friendly, cheap, SSD based cloud hosting service. Their easy UI is very helpful for any one new user as it helped me 2 years ago.

They have multiple data centers throughout the world and its always a possibility you can choose a data-center very near to you. For this very reason my company has moved from other competitor to DO to create our VPS in Singapore based data center of DO.

If you are too busy to do your staffs, you can hire a freelancer and add them to your team to manage your servers. No need to give your credentials to them and your financial data is safe with DO. Also as a freelancer, you can be part of multiple teams.

Their support is a world class, quick support system. They response very quickly provide great help.

What do you dislike?

I can share a use case which we are not happy about DO. Once our server was hacked and some script was installed to sent spam emails. Before we noticed, DO figured it out and without any warning, they suspend the server. Our Live site went down. At morning we saw the email and responded. A warning system would be nice and give us some time frame to fix the issue. We had to recreate a new server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend DO to any small to medium level business, Developers who host their small or medium apps or personal sites etc.

We have multiple Live Business Applications running in DO Servers. We have some API integrations and cron based web service running in the DO Servers a well.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Rui M.</span>
Rui M.

"Best quality-cost relationship and technical support. Amazing community that makes DO one of a kind."

What do you like best?

Setting up VPSs just work, it's very easy to boot a new one and start setting it up or use one of the existing recipes to generate a server with some functioning application stack. I find it very developer friendly and the amazing community is one of the biggest assets Digital Ocean has, with plenty of tutorials.

The dns configuration panel is very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I had some minor drawbacks in terms of availability, which a zone some times have due to planned maintenance, but usually it is quick and passes unnoticed.

Also it's very hard to scale vps and do overall vps maintenance in that the server needs to be shut down and some operations take too much time to complete, with no ETA available, which results in some downtime.

Web panel could be improved.

I'm a web developer and I usually host my products on digital ocean or set up them for my clients.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Jason D.</span>
Jason D.

"The best cloud based web host I have used in years!"

What do you like best?

The affordable pricing, ease of use, quick time in adding new servers, reliable backup service, pre-built server images with LAMP software among many other software combinations of pre-built servers. I also appreciate the nice library of tutorials they have built up for installing many different software on there servers and configuring them. I cannot forget to mention they have a great API which will allow you to write software to automate any of the services they provide!

What do you dislike?

Currently there is nothing I dislike about Digital Ocean services!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use them for all my clients needs and my own personal needs. I highly recommend them!

A large majority of my web clients need a web hosting company and I am able to get them cheap affordable, reliable web hosting in an up an running server in a matter of minutes! Most of the competition cannot check off all those boxes! I cannot think of a much easier solution other than automating the process with code...but they have that covered as well since they have an API which will allow you to write software to automate any of the process!

DigitalOcean review by <span>Asad Jibran A.</span>
Asad Jibran A.

"Digital Ocean is one of the best VPS providers I have worked with."

What do you like best?

The amount of freedom, and speed with which I can boot up a new server. Their customer support is also excellent.

What do you dislike?

They should have the ability to allow me to customize the capabilities of the servers that are available. Right now you can only provision from a pre-configured list.

Also, they should add real private networking between droplets of the same account, kind of like Amazon VPC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's pretty bare bones. Providers like Amazon and Rackspace have a lot of associated services that they provide around the server hosting, like email, networking, etc. Digital Ocean is solely a virtual server provider.

At work, our main product is a couple of web applications. Our infrastructure runs on Digital Oceans. We have fast deployment times, increased scaleability and high availability because of the way we use Digital Ocean. But to be fair, DO is just a VPS provider. The same can be achieved with other providers as well. We just prefer DO for their simplicity and speed of provisioning.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Fayimora F.</span>
Fayimora F.

"Everything works and the support team is brilliant!"

What do you like best?

Support - The speed and ease in which they resolve issues is brilliant. I once created a ticket and before I could confirm that the ticket was actually submitted(2mins later), I had a response. It was unreal!

UI/UX - The DO UI is very intuitive. I think this is very key especially for new customers. Getting to where you want is never more then a very few clicks away and the description of each item on a page totally makes sense.

Community forms/tutorials - I think the benefits of this point are obvious.

What do you dislike?

There are a few features I will like to see like resizing up AND down, creating clusters and load balancers and a few other features you get with providers like EC2. Nevertheless, I don't hate anything about DO.

Unfortunately, DO does not provide enough features for us to use it as our primary provider but we use it for internal tools and development nodes.

One main benefit is each ssh access. With providers like AWS, you need to use ssh keys which is more secure but not very convenient. Sometimes you just need a server somewhere and ability to access it from anywhere, as long as you have a password.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Andrew L.</span>
Andrew L.

"I love DigitalOcean"

What do you like best?

There pricing is super competitive. I migrated all my servers to them about a year ago and haven't looked back! I use it often for temporary client tasks, I'll spin up a VM for a few days. I really enjoy that it's self-serve, they offer excellent API, block storage was a great addition.

What do you dislike?

They are a little vague at times about feature roll-out details. I think they are improving on that, as of recent, with blogs and newsletters though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There blogs are top-notch. I refer back to them all the time.

Very quick, small, demonstration VMs. Simple site hosting

DigitalOcean review by <span>Steen M.</span>
Steen M.

"Servers: Get started and scale up easily"

What do you like best?

Ease of use: once you have your public key with DigitalOcean, the effort to start a server and have it running your software stack is minimal. We use their docker-ready servers, and coupled with ansible, we can spin up an entire site (application, webserver and database) in a few minutes.

The API is easy to use, and we use both curl and python libs with it without any problems.

What do you dislike?

The effort for scaling up and down is inversely proportional to the effort of getting an initial server running. The server images are set in stone, and their variables are fixed. We usually end up with much larger disk-space and network resources than we need, just to get to the computing power and RAM amount we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As always: analyze which level of control you need over your server-park. There are tradeoffs from using a IaaS such as DigitalOcean. But if your requirements point in the direction of easy to manage, easy to integrate IaaS, they do not come much better than DigitalOcean

We need to spin up test-servers, demo-servers as well as production servers for many clients. That we are able to spin up a server with a customized site as we are still on the phone with them is usually a good way to drive a deal home.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Ben M.</span>
Ben M.

"Low-cost SSD-powered VPS servers with good web-based admin control"

What do you like best?

1. Easy to start - You can start a DigitalOcean (DO) VPS, at any time with very little knowledge about system configuration and tear them down when not needed. The default options are very good, but you still have some control over choosing Unix-based OS and also memory and HDD space. If AWS seems confusing to you, welcome to simple choices. Boot time is also less than a minute.

2. Hourly pricing with monthly cap - Price for each machine is calculated hourly and the basic machines are dirt cheap. But wait for the best part - they instantly show the maximum monthly charges for every plan, which is about 25 days of hourly rate and it starts at $5/mo for a 20GB SSD VPS.

3. Very extensive tutorials - DigitalOcean (DO) is very welcoming and helpful to newbie users who might never have owned/maintained a VPS earlier. Its documentation is very extensive, right from securing your server with ssh to installing Wordpress to running your own mail servers. A lot of articles are written by the community in a detailed step-by-step manner and frankly, I use them a lot even while setting up something on my local machine. This is DigitalOcean's most prized IP, I would say - everyone offers low-cost VPS, but who cares to educate the buyer so that they can utilize the potential of those machines?

4. Control stuff from admin panel - This is also something designed for new users, where you can extensively control your machine like boot, shutdown, destroy, see usage statistics, create backup/snapshots, reset password with few clicks. For eg. if you feel you have misconfigured the system beyond something you can fix, you can just "Power cycle" it, which would effectively flush everything and re-install the OS to give a fresh start.

5. Online Shell - The standard way to interact with your remote linux box is through SSH but setting it up is too much for simple tasks. So, they provide a online shell for every machine so that you can have a web-based shell which works just like SSH from local machine. It is incredibly useful when you just want to tweak simple things while not at home.

6. Snapshot - You can take snapshot of the whole machine after shutting it down, destroy the machine and resume from the snapshot later like nothing happened. This also helps you make some boilerplate changes, from where you can create new machines (although cloud-init is more suited for this use-case).

What do you dislike?

1. No user-provided system ISO - Although you can choose from some Linux flavours while creating a machine, you cant provide ISO for some other flavour which is not in their list.

2. Pay while off - Even while your machine is in shutdown state, you are paying for it, as they clarify that your resources are still allotted for you exclusively. Only way is to destroy the machine, meaning you cant bootup that machine with previous data.

3. Slow to resume Snapshots - Snapshots are nice, but because they archive the whole HDD it takes about 5 minutes to re-create machines from snapshots even for small machines.

4. Can crash/fail - While not that frequent, reports of DigitalOcean (DO) machines crashing due to hard disk failures have been reported sometimes on the internet. This is "not unlike" AWS or every other provider and you should backup your important stuff in some non-DO services for reliability.

5. Low HDD space because of SSD - Since DO switched to SSDs instead of normal Hard Disks, disk capacity of lower-end plans have been cut drastically, and you cant add just more disk space for a small price - only way is to switch to higher-end plans with more of everything.

6. Requires Card even for trial - DO provides $10 credit for new users, but you cant activate your account without Credit Cards. This is again nothing unheard of, but a bit of a downer for new users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are relatively new to VPS servers, DigitalOcean is definitely a good choice.

If you are think AWS or other VPS servers are too complicated, DigitalOcean should be a refreshing break from that. Give it a spin.

If you are looking for a lot of customizability in terms of machine specs or want a raw machine, DO is definitely not for you.

I am hosting my private OwnCloud service on DO machines. Also at day job, we use it as deployment machine for some financial services.

DO VPS machines cost as low as shared machines, but packs quite good performance with great network speed and bandwidth. It has been useful for offloading some task from local dev machines to a common DO machine.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Arthur B.</span>
Arthur B.

"DigitalOcean the top affordable and reliable IaaS out there"

What do you like best?

Often while talking with my colleagues about D.O. the top feature in our heads is always about simplicity.

I'm talking about a simplicity level which in a couple of clicks you are ready to recover from a application outage

A simplicity level which any developer from Junior to Senior will understand and integrate DigitalOcean API in their day to day workflow with no headaches with a capable team ready to help you over tickets or forum answers. And what to say about the awesome developers community around DigitalOcean.

A community passionate about a service it's really difficult to conquer but not for DO community, I bet if you search about any old or new technologies there is already a high level detailed tutorial written for the community to the community in the DigitalOcean forums-land.

The 30 seconds ready to use VPS is the reason I felt in love with DigitalOcean from day one. I bet you will as well

What do you dislike?

Even they are doing their best in almost each area of their business, the lake on data centers in developing countries can be a really boner. Even wth their top notch data centers on the north hemisphere can't not always handle critical business application that require low latency between the server and the client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You just need 30 seconds to fall in love with DigitalOcean. Trust me.

Being solving a wide variety of types of problems in the past decade, from financial to telecommunication.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Sean E.</span>
Sean E.

"Excellent and simple cloud hosting provider"

What do you like best?

The fastest spin up/tear down of any cloud provider I've worked with and very dependable. DO is very affordable compared to other providers and has a very no nonsense approach to providing simple and easy to use cloud based infrastructure.

What do you dislike?

Supporting libraries for Digital Ocean occasionally lag behind those for for other cloud providers or have inconsistent interfaces.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DO is currently focused primarily on IaaS, which is useful for designing some application architectures. If you're in the market for a PaaS it won't work for you.

That said it is a very well performing cloud provider that is constantly improving their service and adding new features to keep them on par with the bigger providers you may be more familiar with.

Automated infrastructure testing and validation. Digital Ocean provided the best response times for full integration tests of proposed infrastructure changes at the individual node or small cluster level.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Cameron B.</span>
Cameron B.

"Great VPS hosting for extremely low pricing."

What do you like best?

The speed, uptime, and reliability is amazing. Many other hosts are dropping prices, so the cost is less of an issue today, but when they started, delivering everything they did at prices as low as $5/month was unheard of. Overall the experience is fantastic though. The control panel is great, easy to use, and understand. Managing many droplets is simple and have never had a problem with it.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could personally download and backup droplets. They host backups, but I would like to keep a personal copy, just in case.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're unfamiliar with using a VPS, there may be a learning curve, but power is well worth it.

We've used them as a host on a variety of projects, mostly software we had deployed on Heroku but had become expensive. We found that setups that were $200/month on Heroku run great on $10/month DO servers easily.

DigitalOcean review by <span>John C.</span>
John C.

"Digital Ocean provides unparalleled value and support"

What do you like best?

Fast VPS servers. Fast SSD. Affordable rates. Top-notch support. Well-written guides and help documents. Reliability. Freedom to do what I want.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I have been so happy with Digital Ocean I can't mention anything I dislike. I've recommended them to 5 other clients and they're all happily hosted with them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Obviously, a certain level of sysadmin experience is required to run a VPS, but I have found no better value for the money than Digital Ocean

I needed to move my websites and hosted applications off of a shared server. I wanted to spend more time learning how to be a sysadmin of a Linux server. I was tired of not having full control to install software I needed or wanted to try out. Was tired of server software always being woefully behind the times.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Olaf L.</span>
Olaf L.

"Great Cloud VPS hosting for a fair price "

What do you like best?

The DO interface is great, you can find any feature in your control panel with just a few clicks. Creating a new server is very fast and the process is comfortable. I use Digital Ocean hosting together with serverpilot which is a great combination. Very stable and fast! What is maybe the best feature for DO, is the great source of how-to articles. You can vind there and answer for almost every issue. The DO support is very responsive and helpful.

What do you dislike?

My rating would be a 9 or 10 if the backup feature would be better. There is not manual backup feature, so if you need to install something new you need to wait until a automatic backup is done. Do has promised to make this feature better, but during the last year nothing is changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use a DO server together with ServerPilot if you need that server for website hosting. DO has also a DNS tool which I'm using for a while. I'm not sure of this is the best choice (2 DDOS attacks on their name servers during the last 18 month).

I can host many websites with each server while using the ServerPilot control panel. Using a DO VPS is much better than most other VPS services I've tried before. For one of my customer I'm using a server for huge file downloads. He likes the server because the upload and download speed is very fast. I'm very glad with the different data center locations.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Craig N.</span>
Craig N.

"Fast, Stable cloud servers on the super cheap"

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean, while not having many services, makes up for it with high quality servers starting at $5/month while offering enough promos to get free service monthly.

What do you dislike?

The lack of a range of services. This is in no way a deal killer, as you can easily roll out another server to do load balancing, cache, and etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the promos, code anywhere will give you $10 credit, and you can easily make our with free services every month

Really, Digital Ocean is a life/biz saver for many startups. Websites are required and they can be expensive. You can get a dual processor/8Gb private server for free or at worse, much less than a GoDaddy site on a shared hosting server.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Cho Yin Y.</span>
Cho Yin Y.

"Simple and fast"

What do you like best?

The ease of deploying servers in this service is just amazing. Although taking longer than 55 seconds as promoted, the speed of deploying a complete droplet compared to its competitors proved very successful. Spinning up servers is not more than two clicks of a button.

The quality of support is also amazing, considering that the service is unmanaged. The support is willing to solve any problems with their technical expertise, provided that one gives enough information to them.

Furthermore, with the recent implementation of IPV6 and private networking, it further proves why the company is so successful in gaining market share in these past years.

What do you dislike?

The absence of DDOS protection is one of the major drawbacks of this service. When the droplet is under DDOS, the server will be terminated. This implies when the server is used for production and not development, external DDOS protection must be employed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a student, I recommend that you claim the Github Student Developer Pack to earn $50 in digitalocean credits. This will allow one to host a 512MB ram server for 10 months.

Also, hosting a web server with DigitalOcean is also pricey, compared with web shared hosting at competitors. Since this service does not provide DDOS service, I recommend that one does not use DigitalOcean for production web servers.

I am using DigitalOcean to host VPNs and WordPress. The ease of deployment with these software are the major reason why I chose DigitalOcean over other VPS providers. Its partnership with BitNami proved very successful and one can deploy apps very easily at a click of a button.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Jonathan G.</span>
Jonathan G.

"Used to be the easiest to use IaaS platform on the internet"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to spin up a server with a specific application platform

What do you dislike?

Maybe the pricing, but not much to complain about really. AWS just ran them over with LightSail, which was almost mean. DigitalOcean I think is still more mature and developer friendly than LightSail, but this is Amazon we're talking about.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a small shop, DigitalOcean may still be a good option over some of the big dogs, but it's hard to turn down all the added functionality that comes with going with an AWS or Google Cloud that you really can't tap into as easily if going primarily with DigitalOcean.

DigitalOcean was previously providing our IaaS platform before we moved to AWS.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Keith D.</span>
Keith D.

"Great service - easy to use, fast to configure, great support"

What do you like best?

Ease and speed to for configuring new servers based on commonly used applications. Also, very inexpensive compared the performance the support is very good.

What do you dislike?

Need to have access to cheap storage at volume. To be able to use one of the "roll your own cloud services" would be awesome, but the storage options are too limited and pricey if you need a lot of space. Also, had serious issues trying to use DO for WordPress. At times, the website would go down and was not able to determine why. We move the application to a competitor and it works fine (shared hosting), so it's not the site.

Currently we only use DO for ownCloud, to sync various machines internally and externally, but have used it for all types of utility and auxiliary services.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Kyle B.</span>
Kyle B.

"Fastest way to get started with a VPS"

What do you like best?

Wonderful interface, discoverable features. Setup is easy with a good range of deployable images and backups are easy to setup. Fair pricing and good datacenter location options. Most advanced options are configurable with a single click.

What do you dislike?

Not very robust permissions options for team access to a VPS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perfect for VPS novices looking to get started quickly.

A quick and easy way to deploy and destroy servers and web applications for testing.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Travis J.</span>
Travis J.

"Great Service"

What do you like best?

The uptime for my servers is amazing. I can ssh into my servers quick and easily.

What do you dislike?

A little on the expensive side. But it’s not a bad thing when I get great service!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you would like to spin up a server quick then digitalocean is the right choice! They have plans for everyone.

I can manage my own servers. No need to go through customer support like other companies.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Lukas S.</span>
Lukas S.

"Easy to use, reliable, fast and cheap"

What do you like best?

Droplets are easily managed either over the webinterface or by using the provided API.

The machines are very fast in nearly any aspect: Disk i/o is nice, memory and cpu are quite fast and even the network speed and latency are really good. It feels really good using those machines.

If you at some point notice that you require more memory or more cpu power you can easily upgrade your existing machine. The process is really quick and allows you to do these changes without a big interruption of your services.

What do you dislike?

There are some operations i'd like to perform while my machine is running, which I know are technically possible, but aren't on their platform.

At the moment I'm mostly using DigitalOcean machines as test machines and servers for smaller stuff, but in the past I experimented with automatic creation of droplets from snapshots and/or with boot-scripts for automatically spawning new servers behind a load balancer, which was easily done and was working really nice.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Mark S.</span>
Mark S.

"Best price in town"

What do you like best?

You can't beat their pricing and the reliability has been super. They have a variety of Linux distros to choose from and set up is a breeze. You can be up and running in minutes with minimal configuration needed. They offer an online console if you don't want to vnc into the machine and automatic SSH key management.

We have had very few interruption of service and when they occurred they lasted less than a minute. The support team is responsive and keeps you informed of maintenance or security issues they discover through email alerts.

What do you dislike?

Only Linux OSes - you get what you pay for. There service can be slow when initializing a new server of making changes. It's a pain to add SSH keys after a server is configured so make sure you set up all your users prior to creating the server.

The onlince console is sometimes unresponsive and requires a page refresh.

web hosting, cloud computing, virtual elastic servers

DigitalOcean review by <span>Thomas G.</span>
Thomas G.

"Amazing Product"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean is an incredible mix of flexibility and intuitiveness. Often, when cloud providers give many options for creating servers, it translates into very clunky, ugly, and difficult UI's. Not DigitalOcean! The UI is incredible and is still powerful.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Originally, I was sad there were no options for setting up private networks for clusters to communicate over, but now they have that to. Maybe it could be a little more powerful (e.g. AWS VPCs). In that vein, I would love a blessed and integrated solutions for Load Balancing and Auto-Scaling a la AWS Elastic Load Balancers and Auto-Scaling Groups. Those are hard problems, that keep me going back to AWS for certain big-scale jobs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! You'll like it!

Deploying Software-as-a-Service applications to meet customer needs.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Michael S.</span>
Michael S.

"Best Cloud Hosting Experience Coming from Managed VPS/Dedicated"

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean's Knowledgebase is simply one of the best out there. Every article was written with novice users in mind, giving them just the right amount of information to understand the concept without going overboard.

What do you dislike?

Wish the list of applications are expanded more rapidly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DigitalOcean gives out coupon codes that can be used for a free month or two of their basic droplets. Use the offer wisely and as an opportunity to see if you will be comfortable managing the server(s) from command line.

Using a managed hosting (VPS/Dedicated) feels more expensive these days, with the offers from cloud hosting are getting more affordable. Plus the fact that the "managed" service you are getting sometimes nothing more than a bundled premium control panel application such as Plesk or cPanel, with the support not always as responsive or capable as you hoped.

The problem to jump to cloud hosting is technical knowledge. If you came from UI-based control panel, managing a command line based server can be a scary experience. You could easily find tutorials to do certain things from thousands of blog articles with the help of Google, but they are not always compatible with your setup. Digital Ocean posts support articles based on their droplets configuration, so it really helps to learn new things plus having much lower overheads of your web server infrastructure.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Josh T.</span>
Josh T.

"A great tool for developers wanting to setup a VPS"

What do you like best?

I like how simple it is to create a droplet and get going with a server.

What do you dislike?

There is no easy to use control panel, so everything needs to be setup with SSH access, so you need to be proficient with that!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Potentially look at a service like Laravel Forge. It will cost you extra but means that you can easily provision a server ready for development (This is definitely the case if you're a Laravel user!)

Hosting websites that are able to scale as the amount of traffic increases.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Ashley C.</span>
Ashley C.

"Amazing product and team"

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean not only offer great products at reasonable prices, but most importantly their support team is second to none. I have had problems that were my fault and they still helped, and they are only a tweet away.

Their extensive guides/tutorials are also extremely helpful for improving your devops skills.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I wish they had more managed features such as load balancers etc, like AWS and linode has where I can just pay for it and the provider does the hard work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an affordable solid platform to run your applications on then look no further than DigitalOcean.

My entire product runs on Digital Ocean, and with their simple API I can automate a lot of my infrastructure and deployments.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Adam I.</span>
Adam I.

"Cloud for Developers"

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean's pricing is perfect for developers who want to run machine in the cloud but don't need all the frills of someone like Amazon.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing to dislike. I've been a customer for a couple years and whenever I've had questions -- raising the limit on the number of virtual machines I could create, for example -- their support staff were responsive and helpful.

I'm able to create and access a virtual machine within minutes, whenever I had the need, and I've also been able to create custom images for specific use, such as a private VPN/proxy when I'm connected to a restricted/untrusted network. Being able to do this quickly, repeatably, and via an easy to use API, makes this a no-brainer.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Declan P.</span>
Declan P.

"Simple and effective"

What do you like best?

Its simple and easy to get a vps setup. The one click applications are a great time saver for dev environments.

Performance is nice, they don't overallocate their vm's like other vps providers

What do you dislike?

Its not as configurable as AWS, the networking component is very simple. Which is fine for a small app or dev box, but not appropriate for a large multitiered application

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. You wont regret it, if you need a VPS or ten, DO is the way to go.

By using the API, you can easiky spin up droplets at the drop of a hat and get them configured and running in a matter of minutes. Which allows you to configure an autoscaling group or for automated deployments

DigitalOcean review by <span>Dustin L.</span>
Dustin L.

"Great, no nonsense hosting"

What do you like best?

I get exactly what I pay for and nothing else. I am also free to set up and manage the server how I want without any intrusive software.

What do you dislike?

The only negative I can think of is that one time my droplet got corrupted in a freak turn of events. However, support worked with me to save data and get a new one created.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to create backup images.

We manage web applications that require us to have total control over the machine it is hosted on with the option of scalability. It is also very easy to quickly spin up a machine for temporary use.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Christiaan K.</span>
Christiaan K.

"Great virtual server provider"

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean has a great control panel to manage your virtual servers. Their servers perform extremely well and their support is also helpful and friendly.

What do you dislike?

Whilst their entry prices are very low it can get expensive rather quick. For that reason I went to a VPS provider located in my own country (Netherlands) which turned out to be more cost efficient for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with the smallest possible server. Try to estimate how much resources you're going to require and see if their still cost efficient compared to others. If that doesn't matter too much, go for it. They have very performant servers and great customer support.

Using virtual servers to run webapplications and webhosting servers in general.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Robert J.</span>
Robert J.

"One Click Deploy FTW"

What do you like best?

The fact that they made it so easy to setup a server instance and have an API to let me use it how I please.

What do you dislike?

Price could always be lower but that being said their rates are very competitive.

Ease of our dev ops as we have spent less time messing with servers and support

DigitalOcean review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Cheapest Cloud Service to Bootstrap and deploy your applications "

What do you like best?

You have the power to do just about anything on your own server without having to spend thousands of dollars on buying hardware. The choice of OS and Software Stack are literally built within minutes and you are ready to deploy your application.

Also, DO has a lot of community written articles that are helpful to beginners and even experienced people who get stuck at something. The customer support is also one of the best, tickets are answered pretty fast and things get resolved very quickly.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about Digital Ocean. It provides an affordable service at very nominal rates and provides integration with almost every other stack out there.

The only downside would be that you don't have as many locations for your droplet as you would like. You only have the option to choose from New York ( their headquarters), Toronto, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London and SIngapore.

There are news of a couple of other data centers to be added soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You get what you pay for, there is a reason why DigitalOcean is so cheap. It's because it doesn't come with fancy tools that does everything for you. You have to be ready to get your hands dirty.

Digital Ocean provides a $5 droplet with SSD and enough RAM and hardware space to support a couple of websites. When Bootstrapping applications, one shouldn't have to worry about configuring a whole range of software stack as that takes a hell lot of time to do.

With a DO droplet I can set up a stack on the server that is that same as my local development machine which makes it easier for me to show my work to my clients faster and saves me a lot of time. Also, I am at liberty to do anything I want to my droplet without worry about anything going wrong. Even if something goes wrong, I can simply delete the droplet and start all over again.

DigitalOcean review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Simple, fast and reliable."

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean managed to grow big and fast by offering a simple and effective solution to the server market. What I like most is the ability to spin up a so-called droplet within a minute, and shut it down at any time you want. You only pay for the reserved time that your droplet is available (this includes also when it is currently not running but configured only). Recently DigitalOcean also allows to set up "floating" IPs that can be allocated from droplet to droplet to allow an almost seamless transition between droplet sizes, website updates and more. Currently, there is no product on the market (that I know) that allows the management of droplets in a short time and a reasonable price.

What do you dislike?

If you droplet is not running you are still being charged the full hourly price. This could be changed by e.g. decreasing the costs at least. Sometimes you want a server only run when you actively need it to be. But for people like me that usually run their website projects all around the clock this does not matter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a simple and low-cost solution to run your own server then give DigitalOcean a chance!

DigitalOcean helps me to provide an active development system for my own needs including automatic Backups and floating IPs to allow an instant reachability on the internet. Recently I downgraded and removed some droplets to reduce even more costs and management overhead for me. For most small websites and even static ones (the best in connection with CloudFlare) you can already create a very good, reliable and fast website for any location on earth.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Chris G.</span>
Chris G.

"Powerful VPS hosting from a great team"

What do you like best?

Love the speed in which one can spin up a fresh machine, it literally takes only a few seconds. Why bother with virtual machines when you can just as easily do it in the cloud? The community is particularly responsive and helpful. I really like the improvement they've made to their administrative dashboard. While the selection of OS images is pretty good, their one-click apps are awesome though I haven't used them in production yet.

What do you dislike?

There were some concerns about data security after deleting a virtual machine (droplet) but those were quickly addressed by the DigitalOcean team. I do not like the user flow for restoring from backups - while it is ostensibly *easy* I had trouble the last time I did it, though that was a while ago! I was also unable to use the in-browser desktop terminal but that my have been the result of a network misconfiguration on my side (workplace firewall)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it! So affordable it makes more sense to dive right in.

I needed a server in a datacenter to power my hosting business. Shared hosting didn't cut it anymore and I found Digital Ocean did a better job of letting me control my servers. I hope to use the Digital Ocean API to further automate my business.

DigitalOcean review by Consultant in E-Learning
Consultant in E-Learning

"Digital Ocean - Straightforward simplicity, while retaining a measure of power and flexibility"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Digital Ocean is that the service is simultaneously straightforward in its simplicity while at the same time not being so simple that options are overly restricted. The interface is easy enough that I can give a quick run-down on setting up a droplet to less "server oriented" colleagues and they can digest the instructions without difficulty and run with it without further input, with the added benefit of having a well written library of support documentation with a helpful community growing with it as well to help out.

What do you dislike?

A couple of the few things I dislike about Digital Ocean, though these are perhaps more akin to "would like"s or "would rather"s than true dislikes, being by no means deal breakers in reality. These are:

1) being charged for time that a droplet is powered off and not in use - after getting used to the AWS does things in this regard and utilising various methods of bringing instances online only when required to really economise things I guess has spoiled me a little, though in Digital Ocean's case things are a little different with various resources being committed to your instance whereas the case may not be the same in a similar situation with AWS - and there are ways to "sort of" approximate this functionality using snapshots if it's really something that's needed so all is not lost and I understand why Digital Ocean has elected to do things this way.

2) no datacentre in Australia as yet - while it would be fantastic to have a Digital Ocean datacentre in Australia I also understand that achieving and maintaining the price point that Digital Ocean does may not be possible, so can also understand why they haven't made that leap yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While it might not be the best place for your mission critical enterprise applications, while it can certainly cope with that I'm sure, that's not what the service is really for - If you are looking for a service that allows you flexibility to quickly change and try new things while you're starting up, or if you need a development environment where you and your team can easily create, destroy, and create again, while not requiring that you make payment in limbs or firstborn children, then Digital Ocean is indeed worth a look, and with the barrier to entry to take that look being so low as it is, there's nothing to lose by checking it out.

I have made use of Digital Ocean to solve a number of business challenges in the past, ranging from allowing clients to make an initial step into their online world which they would later outgrow and move on from to being able to quickly test ideas for server implementations, but one that made me the happiest was this one: A little while back I was away from home at a conference where I was delivering a talk on the benefits of bringing together a collection of different open source web applications to create an environment greater than the sum of its parts - as was fairly common I had been exceptionally busy in the lead up to the conference and had not yet completed a world accessible implementation of the technologies I was going to be demonstrating, so on arrival I sat in the lobby of the conference centre with my laptop and utilising Digital Ocean was able to rapidly set up a small array of servers and relatively quickly implement my demonstration implementation in plenty of time for the talk.

DigitalOcean review by Administrator

"The best scalable option for the small-to-mid-sized market, maybe beyond"

What do you like best?

Scalability is the best part of digital ocean, being able to simply say you want more ram and more cores and and just go. You don't have to worry much about billing overages because the strategy they're using basically already covers your maximum liabilities. It is really a great solution for small and mid-sized and even growing businesses, all of whom can get what they need. The only reason I can see someone using something else is that they need to be able to handle in the millions and millions of clients.

What do you dislike?

I've been using Digital Ocean for about 18 months. My last provider was Rackspace, which has a much more fine-tuned billing strategy but ultimately is more expensive for same or less service. In any case, the only drawback I've found is that for some reason you can upgrade freely, but to downgrade requires basically a server reset unless you've got your "droplet images" and such, which I'm not sure if are free to keep or not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always be on the lookout for something better, but this is the best there is at present, that I know of.

My current primary endeavor is a type of currency exchange and ultimately we will be using DigitalOcean for it, but mostly I serve some client sites on a droplet and do various other things with my others. At this point I have five of them, various sizes.

DigitalOcean review by User in Recreational Facilities and Services
User in Recreational Facilities and Services

"Amazing service that comes at a fantastic price"

What do you like best?

I've been a DigitalOcean customer since they started out. Their low price is what initially enticed me to give it a shot, but they've done a great job of keeping me as a happy customer.

It's evident that the company culture is super conducive to a happy work environment, and it really shows in their product. Their support team is responsive and friendly. The user interface is easy to use and cheerful.

As an added value, they have a fantastic set of tutorials and blog posts detailing just about everything you can do with their products.

What do you dislike?

There's not a lot you could dislike about this company. The only improvement I'd like want is the option for more one click apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like a fun company with affordable, easy to use products, I'd recommend DigitalOcean.

I initially started using DigitalOcean as a kind of "playground". I would spin up a server and test a few things out for a couple of days, then destroy it.

Now, I've actually migrated my entire infrastructure to DO, in some cases using their one-click applications, in other cases deploying my own custom solution.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Cole K.</span>
Cole K.

"Excellent service for internal tools and staging environments"

What do you like best?

Excellent pricing, and fantastic for spinning up personal projects or development / staging environments. Though I still lean more towards services like AWS for larger-scale deploys, DigitalOcean fits the bill for internal needs. The recent addition of floating IPs has improved uptime and recovery somewhat.

What do you dislike?

Lack of some critical features necessary for a larger-scale production environment, such as server group tagging and more fine-grained access control.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider it as a development tool.

We primarily use DigitalOcean for testing environments and internal tools, and I use it for personal projects. The ease of administration and low cost more than makes up for the lack of more powerful features.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Eddie K.</span>
Eddie K.

"DigitalOcean my go to provider for virtual servers"

What do you like best?

Easy and cheap to get a server up and running. Great documentation and customer support. As a software developer the whole experience is a pleasure to use.

What do you dislike?

DigitalOcean has met all my needs so far the type of development and infrastructure needs my projects have required.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For smaller and to medium sized projects I have successfully used DigitalOcean and have been very pleased.

Building a marketplace to connect hobbyists in the table top gaming space.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Ivan V.</span>
Ivan V.

"No-brainer VPS platform for small to large scale deployments"

What do you like best?

There is plenty of support provided by the community documentation and the support staff is very quick to respond.

What do you dislike?

Recent TOS invalidated credit from promo code if not used by end of April. Forces users to spin up expensive VPS to use up credit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get aquatinted with the command line tools. Provisioning servers is fast and easy that way.

DevOps. We needed to deploy our stack on several servers and DigitalOcean's cheap VPS offerings allow us to scale without breaking our budget. Their command line interface has allowed us to write several provisioning scripts to quickly scale up or down on demand.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Aimee J.</span>
Aimee J.

"No-fuss Hosting"

What do you like best?

I never feel like Digital Ocean is trying to upsell me. From the first day I signed up (I've hosted on DO for a year and a half) it's been about what I needed as a developer and not what they wanted to sell me. I've had fantastic uptime, and they're very communicative about any coming changes or maintenance that may affect me.

What do you dislike?

It can sometimes be hard to see when support is coming from the community or the staff, though the community team curates community-generated content very well. While it's very easy to find helpful information, contributing in any way is very intimidating and asking questions in the community is completely out of the question unless you already have a handle on your problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the easiest hosting service I've encountered to simply try. It's definitely worth making a test droplet, and easy to destroy the droplet if DO isn't for you. I don't get spammed, I rarely even get newsletters unless it pertains to my uptime or is big company news. Makes you feel like part of the team.

I use DO's droplets for learning and testing. I've spun up many droplets for only a few hours just to test a new web server or content platform. I'm never penalized for this and never mind paying the tiny fee sometimes associated. If something works well, DO makes it simple to increase my droplet size and keep rolling.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Tyler L.</span>
Tyler L.

"Rock Solid VPS's with Many Other Services Integrated"

What do you like best?

Everything, the ability to create a new "droplet", or VPS, is so easy. Snapshots of droplets, web-based terminal for those who need it. Good referral program and there are so many other companies that integrate perfectly with DigitalOcean. ServerPilot and Docker Cloud are two very good examples.

Being able to have multiple droplets on the same LAN (essentially) is also extremely easy and the networking (floating IP's specifically) are awesome.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, absolutely nothing at all. Could use a few more datacenters maybe?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, find a promo code and you won't look back.

Affordable hosting that's powerful and easy to manage by myself.

DigitalOcean review by Administrator in Design
Administrator in Design

"Fast Hosting with good learning resources for experienced web developers."

What do you like best?

It's easy to activate and deactivate your droplet, the price is good for the amount of space and ram you get. Makes you want to try it out.

What do you dislike?

Some of the tutorials on how to do things are not very concise. It's also difficult to know if you have the same setup after you've already configured a whole bunch of things. However with a little perseverance you get there... Does take time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for fast affordable hosting for your Node.js apps I recommend DigitalOcean. It does require some time to configure the Ubuntu server but they do provide pretty good guides on how to do this.

Hosting multiple Node.js applications on a server.

DigitalOcean review by <span>Bo T.</span>