DigitalOcean

DigitalOcean provides the best tools to control your virtual server in the cloud. Learn how we deliver the most intuitive interface and features so you can start building your web infrastructure today.

Work for DigitalOcean?

Learning about DigitalOcean?

DigitalOcean Reviews

Filter ReviewsClear All Filters
Showing 171 DigitalOcean reviews
DigitalOcean review by Nick M.
Nick M.

"Great Cloud Platform"

What do you like best?

Allows quick and easy management of virtual machines such as FreePBX.

What do you dislike?

The interface is hard to manage on a smartphone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smartphone management app

Virtualizing client machines.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DigitalOcean
DigitalOcean review by Jared F.
Jared F.

"Amazing Experience for New Developers"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of spinning up a server on DigitalOcean is amazing. In under a couple minutes, I can SSH into a server that I have full control over. There are also awesome ways to perform backups and other redundancy features, and they provide tools (and are constantly developing new tools each year) to make development fast. My favorite tool is cloud firewalls because those save me a lot of time when spinning up new systems.

What do you dislike?

There are some key features that are currently not supported, such as having a managed PostgreSQL server. However, some of these are coming soon to the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the tutorials that DigitalOcean provides. They are amazing and helpful, and they also give you additional tips and resources to help you learn.

I created a full-stack custom web server for my investment startup, and using DigitalOcean allowed us to spin up a fully custom system with little-to-no-effort on the server management side. In addition, the DigitalOcean tutorials allowed us to push products faster than I ever could have on other platforms like AWS.

What Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) solution do you use?

DigitalOcean review by Administrator

"Great product"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of hosting as digitalocean makes it easy, safe, and while looking nice and having VERY affordable prices.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the amount of different tabs available as things can get messy fairly quick but as long as you know the website structure you’re fine.

We are realizing that digitalocean is by far much easier to use than godaddy and any other hosting website.

DigitalOcean review by Agency in Computer Software
Agency in Computer Software

"Best bang for your buck in VPS solutions"

What do you like best?

Coming from a Windows Server environment and wanting to try an inexpensive Linux VPS instead, I found the documentation to be extremely helpful. Coupled with a little bit of Linux command line research and DO documentation, I got myself up and running on a very secure server in no time.

What do you dislike?

Some other reviews relating to "deleted block storage" volumes or other products has me a little worried (these reviews relate to lack of payment/updating expired payment methods). But I have two payment methods in place so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would recommend thoroughly reading all reviews to determine if DO is a good fit for you; but so far I haven't experienced any real issues of my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your own research. The positive reviews are great, and most are very similar, but I would recommend looking at the negative reviews as well - chances are those reviews will provide a little insight into possible problems (that may have been addressed since) that you can avoid or keep in mind when using their products. But again, I can't say that I have experienced any problems with Digital Ocean; to me, they have great products, and great documentation to help you get up and running in about 15 minutes.

I have a shared hosting plan with GoDaddy and tried their VPS as well. I found it more advantageous and less expensive to use Digital Ocean for my VPS and keep any small websites on my GoDaddy shared hosting, thereby making the best use of both web hosts. Any larger web applications are now hosted on my Digital Ocean account where I can also easily set up background jobs to reduce the amount of work I have to do from administrative functions (eg. invoicing) to automatic database backups etc.

DigitalOcean review by Sergio F.
Sergio F.

"Cloud made simple"

What do you like best?

The easy to run a machine. In other clouds, it's far more complicated to start running. And it has all the features we need, like snapshots in time (very handy, because our machine got hacked a lot of times, so we simply started again from the snapshot). The zone availability is also great, so if you need simple projects hosted on the cloud then DigitalOcean is your friend, I wouldn't recommend it more!

What do you dislike?

Maybe the lack of other possibilities, but they are still working on it for some years. Let's see what we'll be seeing next.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't want to complicate your life - use DigitalOcean!

We deployed a great number of servers using DigitalOcean. The price is a bit lower than the big ones, so that's a plus. The servers were everyone different, for different purposes, so every machine had different attributes. And sometime when they were not being used, we simply would remove them. Half of the servers were for webpages and another half for backend services.

DigitalOcean review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Easy to use, well documented and reliable"

What do you like best?

Servers at Digital Oceans are reliable, easy to use and well documented

What do you dislike?

Expanding storage size is not very easy and straightforward

Creating cloud platforms and services

DigitalOcean review by Aaron M.
Aaron M.

"Improving company with some way to go"

What do you like best?

I like their easy to use control panel and transparent simple costs. Their new services are also great as they keep bringin out great tools that any sysadmin would be happy to have. Their one click installs to spin up severs with pre installs of variuos tools its great for people not so used to severs.

What do you dislike?

When I first started to use then in 2014 there customer service was the best. But as the compant grew that disapeared and the helpful guy on the end of the ticket service stopped being so helpful but just sending guides on how to do things. Not good if you are new to the servers. But I do understand this. I dont like however that you can only contact them via a ticket. Other services have phone customer service and thing Digital Ocean miss this

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price and simple to use UI is great and makes it the best place for companies with less sever exsperiance to start. They have great documentation and they are adding new services all the time to allow you to create really cool infastructures.

I need a way of spining up customer severs fast and have a repliable but cost efficeint service. Digital ocean was a good soloution for this. They have alot of useful guides to help people new to severs and they have a lot one click soloutions that make life easier.

DigitalOcean review by Agency in Internet
Agency in Internet

"Best budget hosting option bar none, if you know how to manage your own server"

What do you like best?

Price to specs/performance can't be beat. Lots of options: VPS, containers, block or object storage, firewall, load balancer, internal networking, etc. Lots of products supporting APIs.

What do you dislike?

I know my way around Linux, but newcomers might be daunted. Add on a cloud control panel like ServerPilot if you need automatic configurations and security updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Either learn Linux (and Docker if using containers) and stay on top of security updates (it's unmanaged) or go with a cloud hosting control panel like ServerPilot.

Top performance for multiple clients and startups with limited budgets.

DigitalOcean review by Hazzim A.
Hazzim A.

"DigitalOcean is perfect for development environments in 1 clicks (almost)"

What do you like best?

The GUI is very intuitive and minimalist, the options are just the minimal (and enough) you will need to deploy a server (or service), the OS's variety is good and cost is the best choice.

What do you dislike?

The monitoring system can be improved and one option to upload your own cloud images could be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the variety of operating systems is good for you, is complicated to find a better option with this easy to use interface and cost.

I'm using DigitalOcean for personal projects and provide training since one year and a half, the cost for the service is great and the VM is available in less than a minute (most of the cases)

DigitalOcean review by Administrator

"Horrible service and absolute ignorance to loyal customers!!!"

What do you like best?

Used to like reliability. They have moderate prices and good functionality.

What do you dislike?

Ok, so I’ve been using DigitalOcean since 2013 and everything was just fine. An on May 31 2018 something really worrying happened, all my files got deleted and I received this email:

“We sincerely apologize, however, there was an incident impacting the Spaces service that resulted in a number of Spaces and the data within them to be deleted. At this time we're performing a full internal investigation to determine what the cause of the issue was as well as why it happened. Once we have a full understanding and additional details to share, we'll follow up.

At this time, unfortunately, we can confirm that the data within your Spaces has been lost and is not recoverable. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.”

They never informed me further and none of my files were restore. No compensation except for $400 on my account, saying:

“You have been granted credit to use on your DigitalOcean team for $400.00. We’ve updated your balance, which you can view at your team's billing page. Please note that this credit will expire after 12 months if it's not used.”

I took severe loses… Now I am in the process of transferring to another service.

Well, decide for yourself whether use their services, but I am really devastated by both my losses and their absolute ignorance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use this service if you value your own business.

Hosting of entire company's infrastructure. Good functionality and performance.

DigitalOcean review by Lauryn M.
Lauryn M.

"Awesome, used for a project"

What do you like best?

This was very intuitive, easy to use software that I chose to use fora project using a vpn. I like that they provide a free trial and $50 in free credits to try their product.

What do you dislike?

No major complaints, but the only trouble I ran into was compatibility issues trying to use it on an older OS. But worked wonderfully on windows 10

This helps in creating more storage allowing for more data storage in the systems

DigitalOcean review by Islam K.
Islam K.

"Very bad expirience"

What do you like best?

Web front-end and documentation is awesome.

What do you dislike?

They restrict outgoing SMTP even for G-suite accounts. Support answering that this cannot be workarounded and you must wait for 60 days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just don't. Because it's hard to do business without email and good support.

E-Commerce web-application.

DigitalOcean review by Neil H.
Neil H.

"Blazing Fast Severs"

What do you like best?

the best thing about Digital ocean is the speed of the servers and its the one quality that impressed me the most about them.all of the servers got SSD in them so that your website will load in a blink of a second. i used to host my website in shared hostings and the speed increased exponentially since moving to cloud hostings. the pricing is also cheap, you can get web hosting services starting at just $5 per month which is pretty impressive compared to the quality of service offered. the customer service is another perk about the digital ocean, I had no knowledge on cloud hosting before when moving to the digital ocean and ran into many errors, the customer service was always there for me and replied almost instantly to the queries. the setup is pretty easy, the digital ocean dashboard is really simple and quite easily move around the website. the server setup is very straightforward and you can deploy servers which is called droplets with only few clicks. the servers can be made to run on a variety of scripts and popular operating systems as per ones need.

What do you dislike?

the payment gateway can be troublesome and i frequently got my card denied for so reason at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

this is one of the best cloud hosting providers in the market, go with them.

Hosting websites in cloud servers. the service is great and the servers are incredibly fast. my website started to load much faster.

DigitalOcean review by Adam H.
Adam H.

"The better value for now of Linode and DO"

What do you like best?

Great value for money plans, stable, feature rich control panel & always improving

What do you dislike?

To be fair, it's pretty good all round. I can more or less setup servers and then neglect them with no issues.

Great value for money VPS for my hosting requirements. Plus easy to resize need be.

DigitalOcean review by Nathan B.
Nathan B.

"Awesome Customer support"

What do you like best?

the best thing and the one thing stands out from similar services out there is the customer support offered by the digital ocean. I had many troubles with WordPress and accessing the servers from the first day. the customer service was always there for me and fixed the issue each time within minutes. absolutely delighted. they also offer a free trial that gave me $50 in free credits to test their services and it lasted good 6-8 months and i have to say i'm more than impressed. the servers are fast and my website started to load with a blink of an eye. even after the trial, its really affordable and they got a plan for everybody irrespective of your budget;. all their servers are equipped with SSD's so that your servers will be blazing fast and website respond as well as loading time will be really cut down short. they also offer a wide range of operating systems and scripts for you to choose for installing on the servers. the setup of servers is also pretty quick you just need a few clicks and done. its also pretty easy to manage or destroy a server you've created. the interface sin't really complicated and most users won't have a trouble moving through the website.

What do you dislike?

they dont offer windows servers and I really find this as a downside of the host. i also had a few troubles with the SSH access.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the servers are great as well as the customer support and i highly recommend yo ut ogo with digital ocean even thou you can find cheaper services in the web.

Hosting my websites on the cloud as well as running applications on cloud servers.

DigitalOcean review by Maxim A.
Maxim A.

"Love it"

What do you like best?

Ability to deploy, upgrade or downgrade server specs as needed at any point + flexible pricing. For example, at some point a certain project would not compile due to low end server specs. I was able to easily upgrade the server, compile the project and downgrade the server back. If I need to test some software I can deploy a new server with one-click configuration in a few minutes, test the software and discard the server.

Another great thing is community guides. Plenty of useful information to help deploy and configure various software and environments. DigitalOcean dashboard is nice and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I had at some point is outgoing email delivery due to blacklisted IP address. Some email providers had to blacklist a whole range of IPs belonging to Digital Ocean. This might be a result of how easy it is to deploy a server and abuse it for unsolicited email delivery. To be fair it’s something that any cloud provider might experience and DO support was quite helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a referral link to get free credit to try the service

I’m running web sites for my own software products. Nothing big, so a cheap low end server spec is enough for me. I’ve been using DigitalOcean for a few years now and I'm happy with it.

DigitalOcean review by Amy F.
Amy F.

"Fast Severs,Awesome Support"

What do you like best?

I moved to the digital ocean to host my website in the cloud as it could help my on-page SEO by reducing the website loading speed. I was really impressed by the Service provided by them, the servers are fast and really easy to configure. within a few clicks, you can easily create a server with WordPress preinstalled on them. they also gave me a free trial worth $20 which helped me to test the server for a period of around 4 months. another great thing is the pricing, its real customer friendly and can be afforded by everyone. I have to mention the support here, they are really great. I didn't know much about hosting in the cloud and ran into many issues with my WordPress setup. every time the digital ocean support was there to help me out. the website comes with a beautiful user-friendly interface, I had no trouble navigating through the site. the uptime provided is really impressive, in the whole time I was with the digital ocean only once my website went down that too the mistake was on my side. their servers run on SSD, so don't have to say how fast they are. my website started loading in a blink of an eye and surely helped mine on page SEO.

What do you dislike?

this is not the cheapest service for cloud hosting in the market, there are several companies that offer similar server specifications for a cheaper price. once they put my account under verification for no reason at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the servers are blazing fast. i do recommend you to try them.

Hosting my WordPress blog on cloud

DigitalOcean review by Wasi M.
Wasi M.

"One of the best hosting providers"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Fast, reliable, uninterrupted, highly useful. I also like the dashboard, pretty much everything of digitalocean. Also, they supports students as well which is great!

What do you dislike?

They don't support payment gateway's like payoneer. I extensively use payoneer which makes it really difficult to use this service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended! Its really a good service with almost 99.99% up time reliable, and fast!.However, one thing to note that digital ocean doesn't support debit card/ virtual prepaid cards.

Most of the projects we have developed were hosted on digital ocean more importantly our clients were satisfied with the service so do we!

DigitalOcean review by Vadim P.
Vadim P.

"Great hosting for developers"

What do you like best?

We love support and speed of this hosting solution. It is working great for all our use cases

What do you dislike?

Not a lot of functionality if you compare it with AWS

Recommendations to others considering the product

use free promocode for start)

Hosting for development

DigitalOcean review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Outstanding budget compute provider, great UI for novice DevOps engineers"

What do you like best?

Flexibility of the platform, very predictable costs, user interface is groundbreaking. Customer service is outstanding when you need it.

What do you dislike?

You can still only be part of one team at a time per email!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid to ask support for help, and definitely check out their community documentation for how to do common tasks like setting up MySQL databases and Minecraft servers!

DigitalOcean makes it easy to deploy a single VPS or add multi-cloud support to nearly any application stack. Absolutely love the API support and predictable costs for internal projects and clients alike.

DigitalOcean review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Excellent and Easy to Use Cloud Host"

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean's documentation is what truly sets them apart. The interface is well design and easy to use, allowing you to get up and running quickly.

What do you dislike?

The billing process could be improved somewhat, but otherwise there have really been no drawbacks.

DigitalOcean made it extremely easy to begin moving our web development process to a cloud environment.

DigitalOcean review by martin l.
martin l.

"Fast but Not cheap"

What do you like best?

the performance of the servers is really great, they are fast and powerful. used it to host my domain and the speed of the loading is really impressive. the customer service is also great,, usually, they respond within minutes to your queries. The setup of the servers and interface is also great and noobie friendly. back in the time, i didn't know much about cloud computing but the way around digital ocean was so easy and i had no trouble navigating or setting up the servers. another great thing with Digital Ocean was the Free trial offer that allows users to test their server for a period of 60 days. I too started out with their Free trial and really liked the performance provided by them. they also have a lot of servers all across the globe to choose from.

What do you dislike?

the billing is really troublesome, sometimes it works sometimes it won't, it's really frustrating. another problem with the digital ocean is with the web console, it always fails when I try to log in and eventually contacted the support and got it fixed. the pricing is not the cheapest, you can get servers with same specifications for a cheaper price from competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

they are fast but not the cheapest. so choose according to your need.

Hosting my websites on Cloud, the servers are really fast and my website loads much faster after moving to the digital ocean.

DigitalOcean review by John R.
John R.

"The Best Cloud Service out There."

What do you like best?

I started out using Digital Ocean through their free Credit Promotion which offered $50 towards using their Servers. It tried it for about a month and my website never went down a single minute while I'm with them so I decided to choose their servers to host my website permentanly.. the performance of the servers is of superior quality. also, the customer support provided by the digital ocean is quite satisfactory. they used to respond to any queries within minutes.

What do you dislike?

THe cost, Comparing to other cloud providers out in the market, the service provided by Digital ocean is a bit Costly that for someone starting out their business it can be a burden on them. I had few troubles with them at the beginning, once they put my account on hold because they thought that something was suspicious of the account and they resolved it within few minutes, another issue I had with them is with the interface also the options provided by them is so confusing that as a noob i had few trouble setting up my servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its one of the faster servers in the market. you won't be disappointed.

Cloud servers used to host my websites and create regular backups.

DigitalOcean review by User

"True 0 downtime - Robust cloud platform for serious admin"

What do you like best?

There is so much. Quickly and easily start the VPS test server with virtually unlimited configuration operations being cheap. There are a number of predefined distribution stacks to choose from and pre-installed application and configurations

What do you dislike?

Some key features are not available in multiple datacenters, while other features can not be used with virtual machines located in different datacenters.

In terms of testing large-scale configuration procedures, such as firewalls on a fast cloud platform to redefine, it is unmatched.

DigitalOcean review by Dhul W.
Dhul W.

"Most reliable Virtual Private Servers"

What do you like best?

By far the best platform for VPS hosting. There isn't even a close second. Spin up servers(droplets) on demand in regions across the world. Creating high-availability for your customers!

What do you dislike?

Digital Ocean has done a great job implicating futures over the years and is becoming a full-fledged cloud platform.

Customer-facing websites and being able to scale services on demand based on need.

DigitalOcean review by Eugene B.
Eugene B.

"simple & reliable"

What do you like best?

Very easy to start, simple interface, but at the same time, they are adding a lot of advanced features. High reliability.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there no enough features available, so the only way to go around it: use 3rd party tools. So it makes it less reliable and more complicated to support.

File storage and file server, daemons to do some routine tasks

DigitalOcean review by Bobby J.
Bobby J.

"One Click Deploy FTW"

What do you like best?

The fact that they made it so easy to setup a server instance and have an API to let me use it how I please.

What do you dislike?

Price could always be lower but that being said their rates are very competitive.

Ease of our dev ops as we have spent less time messing with servers and support

DigitalOcean review by David L.
David L.

"My 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1"

What do you like best?

DO provides the fastest spin-up on what is essentially a VPS server ("droplets"), at a cost-effective and manageable price point.

What do you dislike?

The number of droplets I can create is limited until a request is made to increase the limit. I understand this is probably necessary to avoid certain forms of abuse, but it is one-more-step if you want to be poised to scale rapidly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to take advantage of SSH keys so you can log in without typing a password! Also, take snaphshots whenever you like to have a convenient image to roll back to anytime.

I use droplets instead of my localhost for almost all of my development work now. Having a "localhost in the cloud" is much cleaner, faster, and fun!

DigitalOcean review by Mir Imad A.
Mir Imad A.

"satisfactory experience"

What do you like best?

ease of creating pre defined droplets like wordpress, django, etc.

What do you dislike?

requirement of credit card instead of prepaid cards or debit card.

I used it to deploy a website of my customer.

DigitalOcean review by James P.
James P.

"Boxes in a jiffy!"

What do you like best?

Fast, customized virtual machines i can spin up and destroy without ops intervention

What do you dislike?

Creating new boxes is slightly slow and could use improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seriously low-cost infrastructure, turn-key machine templates, an API to allow for automated provisioning -- DigitalOcean is a very powerful tool.

Reducing the cost of infrastructure by being able to provision a machine as needed.

DigitalOcean review by Brian F.
Brian F.

"Robust cloud platform for the serious admin or DevOp"

What do you like best?

Speed of deployment and ease of use are the hallmarks of the Digital Ocean platform. Add in the image, backup and snaphots features and deploying, recovering, moving, updating and other server admin tasks are very easy and accurate.

What do you dislike?

some key features are not available in various datacenters while other features cannot be used with VM's located in different datacenters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean requires that the user have experience and skill with the deployment of servers and with Linux OS. Their help is also strictly email based and while I have experienced acceptable rates for replies, some may need a more immediate and hands on support system.

Creating a scalable, robust and flexible hosting platform for our various web based servers. We have seen significant increase in server performance and scalability with Digital Ocean versus the previous dedicated server environment.

DigitalOcean review by Connor B.
Connor B.

"Affordable hosting with straightforward configuration "

What do you like best?

Wealth of tutorials and guides to you through the process, with minimal devops experience I was able to have a staging environment deployed in an afternoon.

What do you dislike?

Learning curve > services such as Heroku

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend a little time brushing up on Docker and consult the documentation, you should be up and running in no time

Hosting different enviornments for multiple modern web applications, ranging from prototypes to production ready at very affortable costs

DigitalOcean review by Administrator in Gambling & Casinos
Administrator in Gambling & Casinos

"DigitalOcean - spin up an SDD server in minutes"

What do you like best?

The fact that its so easy to use their control panel

What do you dislike?

Can be restrictive if you need some very specific configurations

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and see if it meets your needs.

Being able to scale up a system quickly when needed. The benefit is that you can spend what you need to and not waste money on resources you don't need at the time.

DigitalOcean review by Gareth E.
Gareth E.

"Rock Solid Hosting. ZERO downtime in 3 years. Nuff Said."

What do you like best?

The easiest to use and the most reliable platform for hosting I have come across. I don't use anything else in my business now. Whats not to like. Easy fast deployment, amazing prices, built in dynamic scalability. Full image backups. An excellent platform I trust completely and do not see switching to anything else in the future.

What do you dislike?

I am hard pressed to dislike anything. It is all very straightforward. Being able to downsize droplets dynamically would be nice I guess. But that is an idle notion with no concept of the difficulty in facilitating that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Digital Ocean has been completely reliable for me, and never had any issues. Ever. Server performance and reliability are first class, and recommend these all day to anyone who listens.

Scale. Glorious scale & cost. DO allows me to work with the resources I need, and increase capacity as and when I need, without headaches.

DigitalOcean review by Devon L.
Devon L.

"It's Amazing, Until It Isn't"

What do you like best?

* Super easy to get up and running fast

* UI/UX is clean & intuitive

* Pricing is transparent

* Competitive entry level price point

* Only pay for what you use

What do you dislike?

* Support - It's impossible to get anyone on the phone. Tickets are answered in a 1 response every 24 hour cadence. If you're hosting a single, simple SMB website, where responsibilities are shared across a dedicated team, I can being happy with their support. They're really good at copy/pasting well written solutions to common problems. I had an SSH Key Authentication break and found it annoying that "there isn't any other authentication or access options we [DO] can offer" other than taking the server offline, removing the image, and asking me to manually redeploy from scratch. That was annoying, but I get it. Unmanaged hosting an what not. My issue was that I had to open up 4 tickets over the course of a month to get that answer. The first three were either not responded to or closed less than 24 hours after answering a question with a question. That seems to be common practice. Again, if you're sitting around at your computer just waiting for DO support to e-mail you, then that's ok. If you're spinning 14 different plates like Red Panda it's no bueno.

* No Backup/Redundancy Features! - This is reason I chose to leave a poor review. I am currently a Master's Student at Harvard and had been a relatively content DO customer for a little over 2 years. In the midst of my month long struggle inability to SSH into the root directory of my server – which was going on in the middle of finals – DO had issues processing my payment (which barring evidence to the contrary was probably my fault). I responded saying:

"I am interested in keeping my account open, but I need someone to help

identify why I can't access my server. Can you please have someone get back

to me?"

At which time, they opened up a 5th ticket and seemingly unaware of the first 4 responded with:

"Hey there, thanks for reaching out to us! What issues are you experiencing reaching the Droplet? We'd be happy to help in any way we can! :)"

At this point, I'm working 18 hours a day between work and school, and decided to deal with it the end of the month, post exams. Turns out, that was a HUGE MISTAKE! Over a outstanding balance of $23.61 they shut down my server a few days after the above exchange, sent one automated e-mail, and then wiped the server clean 2 later. 2 years of work just vanished forever, completely unrecoverable. I'm not a complete moron. I had personal backups of my major projects, but I did loose a website I created using DO's 1-click WordPress install app. Lost 100+ hours of work and generated content. That whole site was probably less than a MB. I figured they'd at least backup their word press installs the same way most other providers do. Nope.

I take responsibility for what happened. They were within their rights. I just think that's a stupid way of doing business. When I was evaluating providers in a professional capacity a few months, knowing how cavalier they are as a company towards their customers data didn't inspire a lot of confidence. 99 times out of 100 it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not risking my business on those odds.

The crazy thing to me is, I'd have paid $300 for that backup without batting an eye. I'd still do it 6 months later. Google for one understands this. Anyone notice what happens when you overload you Drive storage limits? They don't cancel your plan, delete your data, or ever stop you from uploading more. They just wait a few months until you drive folder is 370% full and then tell you your e-mail is going to stop working unless you make space or pay more money. That's smart business. And, I guarantee that when they lock user's out of their e-mail accounts they don't close the account or stop storing the data. I guarantee they keep all those e-mails as an incentive to pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure it's the right product for your use case. If you're managing a single site with a quality technical team, it's a great fit. If you're an individual or agency managing lots of projects on a single server and want the peace of mind that you can go on a month long honeymoon and not have your business wrecked by your hosting provider, I'd choose another solution. It's worth the extra pocket change. For larger tech companies, I'd suggest going with Amazon or Google, because they're need to maximize server usage doesn't outweigh their desire to protect your data and keep you happy.

I was looking for a one-stop shop location to host a myriad of personal development projects.

DigitalOcean review by Kyle B.
Kyle B.

"Fastest way to get started with a VPS"

What do you like best?

Wonderful interface, discoverable features. Setup is easy with a good range of deployable images and backups are easy to setup. Fair pricing and good datacenter location options. Most advanced options are configurable with a single click.

What do you dislike?

Not very robust permissions options for team access to a VPS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perfect for VPS novices looking to get started quickly.

A quick and easy way to deploy and destroy servers and web applications for testing.

DigitalOcean review by Ignacio S.
Ignacio S.

"Do you want a VPS with an AWESOME support? This is the choosen one."

What do you like best?

The best is the Support. This people sell self managed VPS and you can think - "I need to do this by my own" - and yeah you are right but even with that if you have a problem with your system, this guys helps you without doubts.

What do you dislike?

The current VAT tax system, it assumes the country from the payment from the origin of your card. I do use Payoneer, the origin is the UK but I'm in Colombia, they keep charging me with the VAT tax. (I already tried opening a ticket).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The support is AWESOME, this people knows what are they doing. They are growing up an that is nice.

Cloud Server for clients.

DigitalOcean review by Travis J.
Travis J.

"Great Service"

What do you like best?

The uptime for my servers is amazing. I can ssh into my servers quick and easily.

What do you dislike?

A little on the expensive side. But it’s not a bad thing when I get great service!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you would like to spin up a server quick then digitalocean is the right choice! They have plans for everyone.

I can manage my own servers. No need to go through customer support like other companies.

DigitalOcean review by Malkit S.
Malkit S.

"True 0 downtime, easy to setup and well maintained how-to docs."

What do you like best?

Have been using DO from almost a year now and the best thing about DO is it's quite smooth and user-friendly interface which does great things behind the scene like spinning up of virtual servers for you.

Few of best things about DO:-

1. Pay as you go.

2. Increase server configuration easily

3. 2 Factor authorization.

4. Large and useful how to do documents.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they send a verification code on your email when somebody tries to log in on your behalf from remote location. Although it's a good security measure but in situations when you are traveling and your colleagues try to log in on your behalf they are left stuck.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not mature enough in managing server and have tight budget then DO is for you. Go for it you can use technical notes and how to do notes from DO which are easily available.

Our main problem was to host a product on a reliable infrastructure once it was ready. Somebody suggested DO to me and I went just to try but since after we are using this for almost every other product.

We never observed any downtime due to hardware failure and that's the best benefit we have obeserved after switching to DO.

DigitalOcean review by Bo T.
Bo T.

"Cheap and easy to use PaaS"

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean delivers a product that works without trying to overdo them self. Their prices and services are at a level that maxes them the go to choice for early startups, students and project hosting.

What do you dislike?

The "worst" thing about DO is that lack of services that other providers delivers like Amazon RDS etc. But that is maybe out of their scope and that is just fine.

Have been using it both for a startup that I am co-founder of and at work we have used it for some small project deployments.

DigitalOcean review by Mike K.
Mike K.

"Industry Standard"

What do you like best?

The documentation on the Digital Ocean site is extensive and really well composed. I used it regularly even for projects for which Digital Ocean isn't involved. The prices are very reasonable as well.

What do you dislike?

From my limited understanding of Virtual Private Hosting, there are limitations to the quality of the hosting compared to some other VPS options. Sadly I'm not clear on what they are yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want ease of implementation, DO is it.

Using a virtual private server is more affordable than an actual private server by a massive margin. Private servers as opposed to Shared Hosting are often faster, give a private IP address and give me access to Super User.

DigitalOcean review by Dustin L.
Dustin L.

"Great, no nonsense hosting"

What do you like best?

I get exactly what I pay for and nothing else. I am also free to set up and manage the server how I want without any intrusive software.

What do you dislike?

The only negative I can think of is that one time my droplet got corrupted in a freak turn of events. However, support worked with me to save data and get a new one created.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to create backup images.

We manage web applications that require us to have total control over the machine it is hosted on with the option of scalability. It is also very easy to quickly spin up a machine for temporary use.

DigitalOcean review by Ben W.
Ben W.

"Fast and Affordable Virtual Hosting"

What do you like best?

It's simple and easy to manage your virtual servers.

What do you dislike?

Digital Ocean is still fairly limited on available service locations.

We primarily use DO for custom application hosting. We also find great benefits by using DO for quick development environments.

DigitalOcean review by Administrator in Computer Software

"One of the best cloud host provider"

What do you like best?

We use digital ocean services since 2016 and the results are great, with no downtime until now. The admin interface is simple and easy to use. It's a great option for startups, small and big businesses.

What do you dislike?

This is not an issue, but the transfer limit for small droplets (servers with 512M) is 1000GB. Maybe it could be a little bit bigger.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it! The support is great and is really easy to make things happen.

We can deploy a website or App server really fast.

DigitalOcean review by Craig N.
Craig N.

"Fast, Stable cloud servers on the super cheap"

What do you like best?

Digital Ocean, while not having many services, makes up for it with high quality servers starting at $5/month while offering enough promos to get free service monthly.

What do you dislike?

The lack of a range of services. This is in no way a deal killer, as you can easily roll out another server to do load balancing, cache, and etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the promos, code anywhere will give you $10 credit, and you can easily make our with free services every month

Really, Digital Ocean is a life/biz saver for many startups. Websites are required and they can be expensive. You can get a dual processor/8Gb private server for free or at worse, much less than a GoDaddy site on a shared hosting server.

DigitalOcean review by Siva G.
Siva G.

"Simple, Painless, Cost effective Cloud solution"

What do you like best?

Predictable pricing model, Easy to use interface for creating Droplets, Many pre-defined OS Config available, many server locations.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was a way to upgrade(add or remove) just Hard disk space or RAM when needed rather than upgrading to entire plan where i don't need all the other requirement such as extra bandwidth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it first and you will be amazed at how ease it is to deploy your application to the server. It has all the requirements to scale up once your app reaches the moon.

Scalable web hosting solution. It also has lot of articles and how-to's for beginner to learn and deploy the application.

DigitalOcean review by Jonathan G.
Jonathan G.

"Used to be the easiest to use IaaS platform on the internet"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to spin up a server with a specific application platform

What do you dislike?

Maybe the pricing, but not much to complain about really. AWS just ran them over with LightSail, which was almost mean. DigitalOcean I think is still more mature and developer friendly than LightSail, but this is Amazon we're talking about.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a small shop, DigitalOcean may still be a good option over some of the big dogs, but it's hard to turn down all the added functionality that comes with going with an AWS or Google Cloud that you really can't tap into as easily if going primarily with DigitalOcean.

DigitalOcean was previously providing our IaaS platform before we moved to AWS.

DigitalOcean review by Steven R.
Steven R.

"Easiest way to get a server up and running."

What do you like best?

DigitalOcean has an incredibly easy to use UI. It has a very simple interface that makes it so easy to spin up a new server that even the most inexperienced junior developer can mange the task. It's super simple to throw away test boxes that you no longer need. Its pricing is based on the resources you use, which means you are not locked into paying for a VPS for a minimal term. Only pay for what you use.

What do you dislike?

Its far more expensive than other VPS solutions available. Its cheapest server only has 512MB of RAM for $5/month. Which is not even enough RAM to install NodeJS and build your frontend assets. The next tier up would be the 1GB RAM server for $10/month. There are a number of reliable VPS service providers that can offer 6 times more memory for a fraction of the cost of DigitialOcean's second tier price plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about the price points and the trade off for ease of use. Although its more expensive to run a higher powered machine, its incredibly easy for small simple tests on low powered boxed.

When the business has a need to quickly test a new product in isolation, we can use DigitalOcean to quickly spin up a simple server for testing. It makes it an incredibly easy service for destructible testing.

DigitalOcean review by Richard B.
Richard B.

"Quick & Easy Development and Limited Production Environments"

What do you like best?

There is so much. Quickly and easily spin up a VPS test server with virtually unlimited configuration operations on the cheap. There are a ton of preset distribution stacks to choose from and pre-installed application setups as a starting points. Many options for connecting to administrating your server. The web based control panel is very easy and nice to navigate. There is a good amount of documentation and community authored content to walk you through anything you might want to try. There really isn't any else like it out there. Totally a hosting solution with development testing in mind. That is not to say this won't also work for small production servers.

What do you dislike?

Only just a couple things. First, I think they might have small scale development needs a little too in focus which is a shame if you want the same sort of experience in large scale production deployment cause it simply isn't as affordable in comparison. In my opinion, they need to balance this out a bit more. Second, I'd like a way to quickly clone my VPS to my own back-up facility that is as accessible as just about everything else this provider offers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Again, if you are a developer that needs (or wants) the most affordable way to quickly test virtually any kind of deployment scheme or need lots of small-scale projects up and running in a live environment quickly and cheaply, you will be very hard-pressed to find anything better.

If you constantly need live deployment testing, personal & small-scale client deployment infrastructure, and are a developer looking for the quickest and most affordable way to achieve this that provides one of the most pleasant experiences there is to be had in the web hosting market, there really isn't anything better you can find. It excells at what it specializes in almost every way. But there is always room for improvement.

DigitalOcean review by Sven W.
Sven W.

"Great for all your needs. But not for everyone "

What do you like best?

Its scalability and the full control i have

What do you dislike?

Hard to setup applications for non tech people

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn to handle Linux and you'll breeze your way through

Faster, better and more stable web hosting for less than most

Learning about DigitalOcean?

* We monitor all DigitalOcean reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.