DNSimple

With DNSimple you can register a domain quickly with no upselling and no hassles.

Work for DNSimple?

Learning about DNSimple?

DNSimple Reviews

Ask DNSimple a Question
Showing 10 DNSimple reviews
DNSimple review by Hélio C.
Hélio C.

"Really simple DNS Service"

What do you like best?

I certainly can describe DNSimple as an ultra simple DNS Service full featured with backed DNS configurations for many common applications like Gmail, Tumblr, Blogger, etc. Those "backed configurations" follows the 'next next finish' principle which is very handy.

Also, DNSimple counts with a 'new' record called URL which allow Heroku users uses their CNAMES pointing to domain's root. i.e. foobar.com pointing to foobar.herokuapp.com. So, if you're a Heroku user, I can surely recommend to you move to this service. This is the most important and liked feature in my experience with DNSimple.

DNSimple price is very accessible. Only few dollars/month without domain limit. When you join, there is no raise in price as days go by.

In comparison with Amazon Route 53, DNSimple wins with its simplicity, stable and almost awarded features (like URL DNS type) and fixed price.

If you use VPS, like Linode, you'll have a great improvement from Linode's DNS manager. Without Domain Limits, DNSimple turns a great option for Linode users as well.

For simple users, like bloggers, youtubers, etc, DNSimple will guide through wizards to help you setup your domain and connects it to your service. This way you can have the fastest configuration done than ever.

What do you dislike?

There is no analytics panel available. This may deal breaker for some DNS power users.

Also, there is no ping tool to keep your domain available 24/7 based on ping response time (Time to Live).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fixed Price; Wizards over Manual Configuration; Stable tools; Unlimited Domains.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DNSimple
DNSimple review by Cho Yin Y.
Cho Yin Y.

"Simple but slow"

What do you like best?

It seems like DNSimple has a REST API that is entirely suitable for developers like me. However, I have not tested it out thoroughly due to this service failing to go live. One of the other things that have attracted me to this service is their free pricing for students. Some of my colleagues that have tested it with me praised its integration to SSL certificates as well, which is worthy to be mentioned here. Its ease of use and the user-friendly UI is also recognised here.

What do you dislike?

I initially tried out DNSimple with the Github Student Developer Pack. After having tested it for several weeks, I believe that DNSimple was not the domain management tool that I would like to implement for my domains. I ultimately went with Cloudflare because although it lacked a REST API it did all functions that DNSimple did. DNSimple also does not propagate its changes very fast like Cloudflare does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DNSimple definitely does its job, and would fit one's most basic requirements. However, do note there are alternatives, which sometimes are cheaper or even free that can be compared to DNSimple.

What Domain Registration solution do you use?

DNSimple review by Thejdeep G.
Thejdeep G.

"Painless DNS Management"

What do you like best?

- The Interface is beautiful to look at. And this makes DNS management simple and easy. You can easily transfer and add domains.

- Handling SSL is really good

Buying and handling SSL certificates is easy and straightforward unlike other registrars. This make it an added advantage to use DNSimple.

- Provides a REST API

DNSimple provides a REST API and a excellent choice of client libraries. This makes it easily accessible for programmers of all kind.

What do you dislike?

- DNSimple doesn't have an android app. They have an iOS app for Apple users although.

- Help and support provided is a bit low

- Pricing is towards the higher end

- Transferring domains can prove to be a steeper learning curve initially.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DNSimple is my favorite domain name registrar and DNS provider. They have been providing painless DNS management since a few years. Since DNSimple provides a managed DNS provider, the many advantages of this are : simplicity, security and performance. DNSimple also lets you create and manage your own DNS templates to quickly add a group of records to any of your domains.

DNSimple review by Patrick L.
Patrick L.

"Easy DNS Configuration"

What do you like best?

Easily configure DNS settings for your domain. No issues or down time with their servers to date. The web interface is intuitive and responsive.

DNSimple is one of the few providers that allows an ALIAS record for the top-level apex domain name. This means that you can easily host your top level domain with a PAAS such as Heroku.

What do you dislike?

Domain name registration yearly pricing is expensive compared to other options that exist.

I am using DNSimple for DNS configuration for my domain names. Propagation through DNS servers is relatively quick.

DNSimple review by Gopalakrishnan V.
Gopalakrishnan V.

"Pretty Basic domain management tool"

What do you like best?

The basic functionality is very easy to use and very novice friendly. I feel very comfortable asking my marketing team to make changes, create subdomains etc. Very good in-app tutorials too.

What do you dislike?

Some of the actions that have bigger consequences (like taking down a site if the cname is misspelt or if the alias is unavailable) do not trigger any huge warnings or on screen notifications about possible errors.

Pretty basic domain management problems. Its cheap, effective and easy to use.

DNSimple review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Simply the best DNS host there is"

What do you like best?

First DNS host to supply ALIAS records, Provides templates for all the important services and has a nice web interface and an iOS application to manage your records on the fly. They also provide a nice clean API. Also out of sheer interest they code in Erlang from reading twitter and the blog.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike apart from they have suffered DDoS attacks but all the DNS systems had the same issues but DNSimple were open and blogged and tweeted about the attacks and provided a good teardown review about how they would mitigate this in future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just sign up. They are the best out there by a huge distance.

DNS management. Domain name purchasing.

DNSimple review by Abraham S.
Abraham S.

"Convenient and Simple."

What do you like best?

Easy to use, from domain registration to DNS registration and service. The service based and custom DNS record template feature is nice.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the pricing. However, their service does outweigh the expense for me and my business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd definitely recommend shopping around if their prices aren't what you expected, but it was well worth it for me and my business.

I've experienced a great time savings working with DNSimple to register my domains and in relying on their DNS service. Also, their API has been beneficial to me for automation of certain domain related changes.

DNSimple review by User in Computer Software

"Simple, powerful DNS – it does what it claims"

What do you like best?

DNSimple, unlike many other DNS providers I've used, provides simple, powerful DNS services with some notable extensions to what DNS normally provides (such as the super, super-useful ALIAS record). Our experiences with DNSimple's support have been equally great to our experiences with the product. Further, their API support (which, to my knowledge, many DNS services do not have), is equally fantastic, despite our limited need for something like that.

DNSimple's ALIAS record support has solved a very real problem for us, and it's the reason we moved to them to begin with – we wanted CNAME-like behaviour on an apex domain (i.e. point a domain.com (without www.) to a Heroku app, rather than an IP). Normally this is a huge, huge headache, but DNSimple made it easy.

What do you dislike?

I'm having a hard time coming up with complaints – I've had a few issues where DNSimple's APIs worked a little differently than I'd anticipated, but that's about it. Like any product, I always wish I could pay less, but DNSimple's pricing is pretty darn fair.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DNSimple integrates beautifully with Heroku and has a number of pre-configured record types that walk you through the common configurations for something like Heroku (or many similar systems you might need). Further, their ability to provide ALIAS records are a must if you're aliasing a domain to a Heroku app. There's a reason why this company comes up so frequently in Heroku's documentation. If you're using DNSimple with Heroku, you're probably going to be very happy.

DNSimple review by Eduardo S.
Eduardo S.

"The simplest and most powerful DNS out there"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity of DNSimple but it is misleading, since it hides a very powerful service.

The ease of configuration using their one-click services, the ability to create templates, the great an cheap SSL service, and my personal favourite, the ALIAS record. I believe DNSimple was one of the first to offer it and makes it possible to point your root domain to an AWS load balancer for example.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike here, I love their service and been using for over 5 years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong with DNSimple, I've tried many alternatives, but none are so clean and powerful.

DNSimple review by Jared T.
Jared T.

"Domain management made easy"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, low price point, makes use of subdomains very easy, flexible, and accessible

What do you dislike?

No real complaints - you will pay more buying a domain through them directly but you can buy domains from other sources and still take advantage of dnsimple

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for companies using and managing subdomains

Learning about DNSimple?

* We monitor all DNSimple reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.