Docker

Docker is the world's leading software container platform to build, ship, and run any app anywhere.

Work for Docker?

Learning about Docker?

Docker Reviews

Showing 133 Docker reviews
Docker review by <span>Chris R.</span>
Chris R.

"Docker has revamped our team's workflow!"

What do you like best?

Docker streamlines many aspects of our workflow: from development to microservice deployment. Docker is everything a VM is not. We even use it for creating simple static websites. It plays very nice with continuous integration/deployment tools like Jenkins and Teamcity.

What do you dislike?

Although not directly a flaw of Docker itself, we have had some difficulties with the shared volumes functionality. It is a bit difficult to set up user permissions for mounted folders. We want this for our development workflow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! The learning curve is not bad at all.

Everybody knows Docker excels at setting up consistent, reproducible, environments, so i'd like to highlight some of the more subtle niceties instead. Speed. Getting up and running with a new Docker-powered project is fast. Developers can shared docker images, wire them together, and produce working prototypes in a matter of hours. For example, you can deploy a production-ready wordpress site with a single docker-compose file!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Docker
Docker review by <span>Alexandra C.</span>
Alexandra C.

"very useful application"

What do you like best?

I like that there are plenty of Docker images and that I do not have to install a bunch of programs to run a program, especially if I just want to try it out. I use a lot of programs for genomic assembly and analysis. Docker allows me to save some space on my computing cluster by only using a program as needed rather than installing it and consuming valuable space.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that sometimes programs are out of date and sometimes, I cannot open a Docker container due to some background issue. Also, it did take a me a bit to learn how Docker worked, but I learned fairly quickly. Mainly, though, I dislike that I didn't know about Docker sooner.

I am able to test out programs without having to download a bunch of stuff and take up precious space on my computing cluster.

What Container Management solution do you use?

Docker review by <span>Chethan C.</span>
Chethan C.

"Dock IT and forget it"

What do you like best?

Docker has saved us thousands of hours in patching and downtime. Spinning up a virtual instance in our SaaS environment was always a challenge, Docker made it possible. From Dev -> QAS -> Sandbox -> Stage -> Prod it has saved us time, money and possible embarrassment.

What do you dislike?

A few small issues but takes a lot of time to work around. The Docker images are somewhat stateless and creating persistent storage is extra effort.

What is dislike most is to answer the question: "What is the Future of Docker?" when I get asked by our internal sponsors. It doesn't seem as bright as it was 3 years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are still in the planning phase and haven't implemented Docker yet, please know the future before you start deep dive discussions.

Rest assured, as of today (or couple of years ago), it was obviously going to save us time, money and effort. We've been able to achieve near 0 downtime patches, upgrades etc and with lot less manual errors. The way to manage patching in different data-centers has been overly simplified. The developer edition is free and Enterprise edition is really worth couple of thousand $$. Since it is mostly community driven, don't always rely on getting free fixes, feel free to fix it as well :)

In a SaaS environment, there are hundreds of VMs in several data centers we operate. Patching it every week, month, quarter and year was painful. We brought in Docker and since than weekends have been relaxed. It has saved time, money & effort.

Docker review by <span>Eric D.</span>
Eric D.

"Docker is awesome, but continue support for windows images"

What do you like best?

Ease of use to create and deploy containerized services/images. It is easy to install and use. It is a great tool for deploying a whole lightweight environment, with minimal setup. It is supported on almost all popular operating systems. The documentation for docker is very well done. I also like that is it open source.

What do you dislike?

Windows images are much bigger compared to linux ones, and there are some limitations to running windows containers. I don't like how you can't use virtual box wile running docker. I don't like that you have to reboot/restart docker when switching between windows and linux containers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

docker is the industry standard right now for containerizing services and deploying standalone images. I highly recommend it. Documentation and getting started guide are well done and easy to understand.

deploying many microservices across an enterprise for service based architecture. This helps us deploy and version our individual services as we develop each component individually, rather than on monolithic application. Docker has helped us modernize our development approach and keep up with industry partners.

Docker review by <span>José Gabriel G.</span>
José Gabriel G.

"A very great tool to have your development environment ready to start to work"

What do you like best?

It's open source. It makes you able to have a self-contained of an entire platform to run, test or develop a specific application. To work in a team is the best option because you and your team don't have to be worried about if you have different versions of libraries or languages or servers or operating system, all your project needs are going to be contained in the docker image.

Taking into account that you don't need a Virtual Box or another machine virtualization system is another big advantage over similar systems such as Vagrant.

It has a lot of plugins to give you more features, for example, docker-compose that is a plugin that allows you to define a file where you decide the images (Multiple containers) you want to be in your application platform, who and how is going to be linked with, define the service ports that are going to be exposed to use them out of the container.

Another useful plugin could be docker swarm that allows you to have persistence of data in volumes, or outside containers.

What do you dislike?

- The support for MAC is not native.

- It doesn't have a GUI to help the user be able to use easily without learning commands and how to define a dockerfile.

It allows to be more proactive due to the developer's team because we only need to be worried about programming our project, we don't need to be worried about what version of whatever I need to run my application, or if I need a different version for another project. It's very fast to start a new project.

Docker review by <span>vivek s.</span>
vivek s.

"DEPLOY AND RUN YOUR DREAM APPS.."

What do you like best?

I'd say that docker is a tool that is particularly designed to make it easier to create, deploy, and run applications by using containers. Its an amazing tool in itself. As far my views are concerned it's a bit like an virtual machine but with the distinction that it allows application(s) to use same Kernel as the system that they're running on. Further it's an open source and hence extending its exposure to the developers and system contributors all round the world.

What do you dislike?

Well as far as my views are concerned I haven't had and still don't have any reason or concerns about it that is counted as the reason for disliking it rather I'd say its an amazing container based tool with plenty of security features and tools available making it a worth having one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have it and you can do wonder with its amazing benefits and features provided along the way.

Well first I'd like to state that running applications in containers instead of virtual machines is gaining momentum in the IT world and the change that it bring about is exceptional.

Now, the flexibility offered by Docker containers means that engineers can focus on delivering a product to their customers. And yes we are doing the same and focusing extensively on our business models because we have the support of docker on the go.

Docker is and has been really helpful for us till now.

Cheers to the docker team.

Docker review by <span>Andrew S.</span>
Andrew S.

"docker is everywhere"

What do you like best?

1. portability

2. compatibility (also backwards compatibility)

3. compliance and integrations

4. ease of use and speed of implementation, “just works”

5. open source

26. portability

27. extensibility

18. either monolith or hybrid / hosted or on-premise

etc.

What do you dislike?

Not much to say about Docker in cons. It differs in various development situations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker is perfect both for developers and/or enterprises. I highly reccomend implement docker in any organization and get certification / training implementing docker.

1. app development

2. containerizing apps

3. creating developer environments

Docker review by <span>YagneshKumar P.</span>
YagneshKumar P.

"Docker on of the best Containers "

What do you like best?

Docker is free fora basic subscription, which is a hosted platform that allows the devs and SA (System Admins) to develop and manage their apps with the Docker container. One of the advantages is like is that as a developer I can within my apps without the need of committing any additional hardware requirements or even spinning the virtual server. Moreover, another advantage is to limit the number of troubleshooting to get all the parts of IT infrastructure to work together. what I like about Docker, since it is only used for applications, there isn't any underlying layers i need to worry about, i can just go ahead and start working with my app in Docker. And the last feature i like about docker is that Docker is setup to work with two source code hosting services which are GitHub and BitBucket.

What do you dislike?

It is a learning curve for those who do not have knowledge on how to use Linux bases environments, Which does take up much of you time to learn OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For other who are wanting to use Docker, Please learn the manuals and the tutorials. Also, Be familiar with using Linux. For Example, learning the basic Syntax in the CLI.

One of the business problems i am solving with Docker is the ability to deploy, manage, and deliver the App within my Company.

Couple of benefits i have realized are that; A newbie like myself learning Docker is amazing, i have the ability to use the CLI (Command Line Interface) which I can execute syntax. Secondly, As a SA (System Admin) i am able to manage the application that have been developed by other devs within my company.

Docker review by <span>Jestin S.</span>
Jestin S.

"Perfect container system"

What do you like best?

Docker made containers easier and safer to deploy with a much more standardized container system. Allows my team to deploy to the cloud easily and scale on the fly. Containers are where companies should be moving to and docker makes it easy, I highly recommend it.

What do you dislike?

My only issue with docker is that persistent data storage is very complicated since when a container shuts down all that information is gone unless you figure out with docker data volumes which are not easy to work with one more thing is its command line is boring, long and one big downside is that Docker need to download the essential files of the selected operating system in container, so if you want to keep synced your Docker image between two computers, it is a big pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With Docker, developers can build any app in any language using any toolchain. “Dockerized” apps are completely portable and can run anywhere - colleagues’ OS X and Windows laptops, QA servers running Ubuntu in the cloud, and production data center VMs running Red Hat.

Docker helps developers build and ship higher-quality applications, faster. also developers can automate their build pipeline and share artifacts with collaborators through public or private repositories.

Docker helps sysadmins deploy and run any app on any infrastructure, quickly and reliably.

Mainly productivity.Docker containers are an evolution in software development when we talk about deployment and continuous integration. Dockers images isolate dependencies and are easy to manipulate through different types of environments during the software life cycle: development, testing, continuous integration, deployment and rollback (hopefully not necessary :). Easy to use, simple to configure, maintain and update dependencies.

Docker review by <span>Jonathan Y.</span>
Jonathan Y.

"Consistent environments for Dev/Test/QA/Production, quickly-moving ecosystem"

What do you like best?

Docker is the hot-button topic in the technology industry these days, and for good reason. The underlying technology is not new (Linux containers, cgroups, namespaces), but the tool's user experience has made it popular. The Docker team really focuses on ensuring a great user experience, making things easy to configure and customize. The "batteries included, but swappable" philosophy is fantastic - everything you need is there out-of-the-box, but if you have special requirements, you can use a custom driver to get what you need.

The external ecosystem is unbeatable as well, with cluster management solutions like Swarm/Kubernetes/Mesos. Red Hat's OpenShift PaaS is built on Docker.

What do you dislike?

Docker is moving quickly, so there are often cases where there doesn't seem to be any good solution to a problem. For example, persistent volumes across the cluster were a problem. Docker (and other earlier PaaS solutions like Heroku) have long recommended stateless services, which is great for a number of reasons (providing higher scalability being a key one), but this left some very stateful services (like databases) out in the cold.

More recently, Docker's volume plugins allow for data to be stored in clustered filesystems like GlusterFS, allowing containers to be completely portable between host machines. Combined with Software-Defined Networking features powered by Open-vSwitch, Docker containers have achieved a level of portability previously reserved for VMware installations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Adopt it for new applications, but be cautious for legacy applications - if you have a 12-factor application, then you'll be golden. Although you can dockerize legacy stateful applications, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. See Kelsey Hightower's excellent writeup, 12 Fractured Apps: https://medium.com/@kelseyhightower/12-fractured-apps-1080c73d481c

A key problem many organizations face is being able to create reproducible environments quickly and with low footprint. Many were accomplishing this with Vagrant and configuration management tools like Ansible, Chef, and Puppet, but the virtual machines were inherently stateful. Operating systems needed to be maintained, and it was difficult to guarantee that developers were running their code in the same environment that UAT/QA, Staging, and Production environments were using.

Docker allows for consistent environments, making it easier to reproduce problems and avoiding the common case of "works in production, doesn't work in development" or similar.

Docker review by <span>Jiaming Z.</span>
Jiaming Z.

"No more hidden dependencies!"

What do you like best?

(1) Easy of Use. My primary pain was to set up PHP and Nginx on my Macbook. With Docker, I just need to run a single command. (2) Vendor Support. Lots of cloud provider (e.g. Amazon Website Service) supports Docker natively. I am using container service provided by Amazon Website Service with Docker

What do you dislike?

The image build time could be slow. It could be mitigated by property designing the Dockerfile.

My team use Amazon Web Service (AWS) to deploy our service. Previously, we use initiate a virtual machine, install proper packages and take an images snapshot. The problem is that (1) we won't be able to use this images on our local laptop (2) the dependencies is implicit. There are lots of packages or configurations located on the image. However, we don't know which one is critical to our application. Docker solve this problem: (1) it can run on local machine (2) it documents dependency via Dockerfile

Docker review by <span>Amanda F.</span>
Amanda F.

"Amazing technology, cost savings is fantastic. "

What do you like best?

The technology is amazing, it allows us to take advantage of Containers to create a disposable, immutable and consistent infrastructure for our teams of Developers. The user experience of using Docker and the related workflow is fantastic. The ecosystem of Docker is extensive, which allows us to invest in the use and construction of tools that drives our continuous delivery line. The simplicity of the product is the best part of the overall experience. The pace of innovation at Docker and the related community allows us to focus on providing a better development experience at all times.

What do you dislike?

The alternative solutions that must be followed in relation to the functions that are still missing Better compatibility with IPv6 Better local storage persistent in the nodes of the cluster Automatic scaling of services Automatic load balancing of the services in the cluster nodes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The technology behind the product. It permits deploying and manage services faster, better and easier. It's recommended to use this product with its versatile features.

As we were relatively new to Docker containers, we first deployed applications in independent Docker containers, understood the architecture and benefits of conventional virtualization. Then, we would deploy in Docker Swarm Cluster in a development environment before going to production. the results were excellent.

Docker review by <span>Maria G.</span>
Maria G.

"Virtual machines without complex process."

What do you like best?

Docker mainly serves to create a machine or a virtual server, but, it is important to emphasize, that Docker is not like other platforms, since this one in particular, provides each user with a very nice interface, very well organized and arranged, and It has functions such as a good storage space in the virtual machine and access to it when necessary.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to access our Docker virtual machine, through different devices, such as laptops, mobile phones with Android and iOS, it would be a good way to expand the functions that Docker has.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend taking Docker into account, for a better experience with virtual machines in your company.

Docker offers a really stable platform, it is fantastic to be able to access our virtual machine without having to have such a complex and long process. Also, it offers a good storage space, capable of having a better experience in the virtual machine.

Docker review by <span>Michael M.</span>
Michael M.

"Stability in virtual machines."

What do you like best?

It is so nice to be able to create a virtual machine just a few steps as Docker offers, it focuses on offering the best functions, to create a virtual machine, configure it and get rid of it when necessary, also, it offers speed mainly so that the user contains a principle of comfort at all times. I consider that Docker has been designed to fit, providing a comfortable design.

What do you dislike?

I have noticed, that one of the biggest features that affects Docker, are the benefits that the plans bring with respect to the storage of it, it is very bad to have to pay a sum of money to just provide a bit of storage space, I would like that offer much more space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend making virtual machines with Docker in your company.

Docker allows me to make virtual machines with much more freedom, without having to go through long processes that lead to the same result. It has allowed my team to achieve results based on good storage and everything in the cloud.

Docker review by <span>Tiffany D.</span>
Tiffany D.

"Excellent platform for containers."

What do you like best?

Containers are the place where companies should move and Docker makes it easy, Docker works on any device that needs it, to allow all employees to use the machine that best promotes their creativity and productivity according to their preferences. I love how easy it is to set up a virtual machine, add one and also get rid of it. The principle of pulling virtual machines away if they are no longer needed and building them when necessary is a delight, you can also create your own images based on those of one or more available in the hub. You can also create your private center to store private images of your software.

What do you dislike?

My only issue with docker is that persistent data storage is very complicated since when a container shuts down all that information is gone unless you figure out with docker data volumes which are not easy to work with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We recommend docker as a service to grow your business.

Docker made the containers easier and safer to implement with a much more standardized container system. Allow my team to easily deploy in the cloud and scale on the fly.

Docker review by <span>Tony G.</span>
Tony G.

"Docker "

What do you like best?

Docker allows us to create an image of a code repo and deploy it through environments. The best feature of docker is the immutability of a docker image. Once it is created it can not be changed, so you know that your code will be the same in the test environment as the production environment.

What do you dislike?

Docker can be a bit cumbersome to use and has a steep learning curve. Almost everything is done through rather cryptic command line tools that are not entirely intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to do some tutorials on how to create a Dockerfile and a docker-compose file correctly. Once you figure out how exactly those work docker can actually be pretty simple

We solve our deployment problems. Docker lets us be as consistent as possible.

Docker review by <span>Rahul B.</span>
Rahul B.

"Better than running a virtual machine in VirtualBox"

What do you like best?

Docker is extremely configurable and performs better than a virtual machine. Virtual machine has their own memory management, thus possess extreme overhead on the host system. While the Docker container runs as an application, could be started in few seconds and the applications in the container perform same as the virtual machine

What do you dislike?

Docker container is not standalone, means you can't run it instead of an OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it. It's easy to setup. In my case, I have a shell script prepared by another developer which I run to deploy the application. So no hassle for me.

I am using docker as a local development server. It's easy to setup on every system with a mere Docker script. In the script, it is specified which applications should be installed and how they should be configured. Then it is just a matter of running the docker command and your system is ready. Thus, the developers who are not experienced with operating systems, doesn't have to worry and focus on only what they are good at.

Docker review by User in Information Technology and Services

"No more blame game"

What do you like best?

Lightweight

Easy to learn

Easy to distribute the images

Name spacing

Portability

Infrastructure as code

Dev-Prod Parity

What do you dislike?

Docker for Mac is extremely slow when mounting volumes from the host system into the container.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't go after the fad. Introducing Docker in your workflow needs a lot of beforehand thinking. Discuss and prove the usability of Docker in your organization and only then get ahead. Above all, do get a strong hold of the basics of Docker

Currently we've been using Docker for testing our application. So far we've been benefited by the use of Docker there in terms of the speed and ease of repeatable tests. However, we are increasingly using Docker to drive our application development process. We have been experimenting with one of the applications for now and the developers are happy already seeing how the prod-dev parity could be achieved so easily and from within the comforts of their beloved development machine.

Docker review by <span>Luca L.</span>
Luca L.

"Great tool, difficult to master."

What do you like best?

The ability to define a standard environment for my application server, easy to share, test and deploy.

Even easier life cycle using compose and getting advantage of named volumes.

Now it is widespread enough to find many third party tools and services that works with it, adding more value on top, such as: continue integration tools, cloud application services, application container management and quality compliance tools.

What do you dislike?

Learning curve is somehow hard, and there are still differences on how it runs on different host machines, like non-Pro versions of Windows.

New users tend to struggle to set-up Docker on their machine and understand how to use it as replacement of their usual development local server.

Sometimes misunderstanding what it is meant for can lead to "hackish" use and dissatisfaction, bouncing potential users back to their comfort zone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For web development, is easier to start using it with docker-compose, as it allows to grasp the interactions of containers by reading the yaml configuration and you can easily play with it, changing the parameters and experiment what happens.

Understanding how volumes works, especially named volumes, and service linking, will make it easier to begin making simple yet productive use of this tool.

If your application is not stateless, you won't have the opportunity to simply deploy your app in a scalable infrastructure, which is one of the great advantages of managing apps as containers.

Used to have problems when moving an app from the development environment to the staging and production ones. The development environment used to have a different OS or just different software versions, and usually polluted by configurations/versions used for others projects.

Since the adoption of Docker the deployment life-cycle became more predictable, easier to automate and evolve.

Docker review by <span>Elizabeth M.</span>
Elizabeth M.

"Model for collaboration"

What do you like best?

Docker allows working between applications who remain independent, but now connected as well. Developers are able to reach their maximum potential with each program, and Docker creates a model for better collaboration across all of our teams. Docker works on any device we need it to, to allow all employees to use whichever machine facilitates their creativity and productivity the best per their preferences.

What do you dislike?

It was not as easy to integrate into our business as Docker claims. It took multiple days to implement the software, and it was difficult to learn how to collaborate between developers and IT staff. The IT staff was not pleased with this implementation attempt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker has a safe environment to allow you to work between applications and infrastructure and allows for better innovation and collaboration. It is not as easy to integrate into current systems, despite Docker's claims. IT staff and developers have stated that using current software in the Docker hub was not as seamless as Docker had promised upon implementing. Support is amazing, and willing to do everything it takes to make sure the product is up and running as it should. The customer service is extremely professional and friendly. If my IT staff and developers could get on board, we would recommend this product for customer service alone.

Allowing developers and IT staff to work together while using already developed software. Neither team was happy, but the product worked aside from the difficult implementation.

Docker review by <span>Rahul C.</span>
Rahul C.

"Docker is Brilliant !!!"

What do you like best?

- I don't have to install any software. Everything is dockerized!

- I can run multiple copies of everything for scaling.

- Containers start instantly. So fast.

- After I delete containers, no residue is left. It is truly a sandbox.

- Docker perfectly manages its storage space. If you are downloading two similar images, docker would only save the common parts of those images once.

- Docker is ever-growing. This is the future, and development is very active. You get new updates very often, and you can tell that they are moving in the right direction.

- The concept of containerization as a whole is so supreme and powerful, that you are really missing out, if you have not dockerized your applications yet. Docker has really redesigned the whole pipeline and deployment game.

What do you dislike?

- Lots of configurations to get some containers running.

- Containers don't have generic guidelines to start. Different containers take different skills to get up and running.

- Sometimes, the containers may die. Though this is not Docker's fault, it is application fault.

- Around 5-7 containers, my machine starts to give up.

- I don't like Kitematic. It can be more refined. Currently it doesn't even show logs properly, and is slow and brittle.

- Docker itself is small, but not all applications built inside docker are small. E.g. Just adding a language and couple of libraries would increase your storage significantly. This is not a docker fault per say, but not all applications have been re-worked to lower the memory and storage footprint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it. Everyone else uses it, and for good reason.

We wanted to treat each application as a box, which can be transported from one environment to another. Docker is the perfect solution for this. It has made our deployment so much faster, and our pipeline so much cleaner.

Docker review by <span>Nuri H.</span>
Nuri H.

"Docker the only container solution you will need"

What do you like best?

I love that Docker not only does containerization well, it makes it easy. With all of the tooling they have released it is a breeze to dive in. The community is amazing, for support as well as coming up with external tooling based on the Docker containerization technology.

What do you dislike?

I did dislike the lack of first-class support for Kubernetes, but they have recently released support for this orchestration technology. So, I am very happy with the changes in this area.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend installing all of the command line tools and really understanding the core concepts of containers, images, and how Docker's virtualization takes place. From this point you will have a great vantage to be able to implement as to your needs. Once you have solid footing here, check out Compose.

We are solving scalability and availability issues by leveraging Docker for containerization. We then apply orchestration and self healing techniques on top of that.

Docker review by User in Computer Software

"Docker is Invaluable to my Development Process"

What do you like best?

Docker is a lightweight and and faster than using a VM in my development workflow. Because Docker runs on Mac/Linux/Windows it has proven to be the most important way to experiment with new technologies and is integral to my development CI/CD workflow.

What do you dislike?

Though this is not Docker's fault, I would like to be able to run a native macOS kernel instead of a linux one. Apple needs to embrace this as part of their ecosystem and support the community on this effort, much the way Microsoft has.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Initially the Docker/Container concept may be difficult to wrap your head around, especially into regards to it's value. My recommendation is to install it, and try it out. Once you have deployed multiple services and are running them on your machine, it will be hard not to imagine the possibilities.

First and foremost I am using docker in my development workflow. It has sped up my development process and I am looking forward to further integrating into my workflow. I am also using docker to experiment with other services without polluting my development environment. It also let's me try new versions of services I already use before I commit to upgrading.

Docker review by <span>Malhar P.</span>
Malhar P.

"Best Linux Based Container"

What do you like best?

Provides best solution for deploying web services.Ease of use for integrating and deploying docker.Eazily modifiable and many other things are best about docker.We are using docker since many time and we are really grateful to this free service for many of our services deployed using docker.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to say because when you compare a container and a VM you find that container is the state of the art technology which is far more advanced than a VM and talking about docker,it is the face of container.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very much recommended for deploying web services with ease and advance technology.

We use docker for deploying Linux based web services on the cloud platform.

Docker review by <span>Valeri K.</span>
Valeri K.

"Cumbersome, but useful if you're very good at it"

What do you like best?

There's a lot of great tooling around docker because it's so standardized. Mesos and Marathon, in particular, work quite well with Docker, and Docker hub is great.

What do you dislike?

Docker container are enormous, bloated, and slow. A "Hello, World" Node.js container will be upwards of 650MB and take an eternity to build. Also, Docker solves the very easy problem of running an application in isolation but doesn't have a solid story about running a fleet of applications. Also, dangling Docker images cause regular disk space shortages and its tricky to manage them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're already skilled with Docker or hired someone who is an expert with Docker then I'd say go for it. But learning Docker is a tedious and painful process, and managing it in production without several years' experience is a minefield. Consider whether you really need Docker or you can just build statically linked binaries.

We just wanted a turnkey solution to run several applications from a GUI, so we adopted Mesos and Docker was the easiest way for us to get started with Mesos. Docker absent Mesos would be pretty useless.

Docker review by <span>Bharadwaj (Brad) C.</span>
Bharadwaj (Brad) C.

"Takes the pain out of your deployment process"

What do you like best?

1. Full control over the execution environment of the application

2. You can run tests against the same image that will finally run on the production server.

3. Very easy to maintain environments for the application for the Ops team.

4. You can create several instances of the same environment. Without Docker, it was a main to manually maintain consistent environment on multiple servers

What do you dislike?

1. Major change for organizations to add this new layer (so think before you jump in)

2. Managing a huge amount of containers is challenging

3. The containers share the same kernel and are therefore less isolated than real VMs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

1. Its a long process; so do your analysis before jumping in. Its cool to talk about continuous integration/deployment; but its also important to understand is that the right approach for your use case. I have seen companies start and abandon after spending months of effort/money because its hard.

Continuous Integration and Deployment to have our changes to production on a near real time basis

Docker review by <span>Adrián P.</span>
Adrián P.

"Build, deploy, do all"

What do you like best?

Use container for insolation and build application with out being install and setup all the environment, just do once and copy to another systems.

Have a composer makes simple do the stuff, you can have all well organize and just run docker-compose up -d and run all your scripts, deploys or any task you will use and you don't want install on a new machine.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes can be painful know all the details, know all the networks scheme, and when you want execute one program from one container to another.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try, enjoy and learn, is a new world for your apps, and very useful with correct idea.

scalability, make different environment simple and all unified, as well to have some local environment by default.

Docker review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"Docker for Machine Learning"

What do you like best?

I was able to develop a machine learning application on my local machine and then deploy it on a remote server without changing any of the source code. If the app worked on my machine, it would work anywhere with a simple pull from the Docker service.

What do you dislike?

There is a steep learning curve to understand how everything in Docker works together. You will have to read a lot of documentation to get going and there are not a lot of machine learning tutorials for Docker. Also, Docker does not clean up after itself. Make sure that you get rid of any dead containers to save on memory and storage space.

Deploying a machine learning API with Docker has been awesome. This API has had a positive impact on how our employees interact with our clients in real-time.

Docker review by <span>Diogo R.</span>
Diogo R.

"Best Deployment Bundling"

What do you like best?

With docker, your able to run containers in a very easy way. You can browse image containers (system templates) in the container hub (central repository) and look for official and community images. You can try all sorts of software and services in a sandboxed environment, without affecting your system. You can also create your own images based on a scratch one or one available in the hub. You can also create your private hub to store private images of your software.

Reproducing a similar environment (like development, staging and production) was never this easy.

What do you dislike?

Most common software is available, others aren't. For those that aren't you need to create the image and that can take some time. But of course, after you create the first one, you can save it and share it with others.

Also, networking between containers in different hosts is still tricky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

By far, the best solution to ensure you have a consistent production environment, avoiding situations like "it worked in my computer".

Reproducing the same environment in different machines, whether the developer laptop, a staging desktop or a production server.

Docker review by User in Hospitality
User in Hospitality

"Best platform for our company"

What do you like best?

Docker provides a very novice environment to build, manage, and test our applications that we work on. It is also a great collaboration medium to keep track of our projects. We also like the deployment feature that allows us to get new versions of our application fast and easy

What do you dislike?

Docker has many feature that could be helpful to our team. I wish there was an area where we could access tutorial of what we can do with docket. We feel like we aren't using it to its max capacity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great platform if you have a huge company. You will really get everything out of the money you spend.

we are consistently building and deploying our application on docker. The benefit is that it is very easy to use and powerful for everyone in our company.

Docker review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Best Container Engine Ever"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to organize and deploy. Gives you the ability to maintain the same environment for development and production, and has a big library of code to search for similar applications that will help you.

What do you dislike?

the set-up can be a little tricky, but once you understand the basics you are good to go.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very useful and has a wide variety of apps ready to be deployed on your local machine on dockerhub. you can also maintain your own repos there privately to share with your coworkers that way all are using the same app repo.

Using containers to manage our App. It gives us the ability to deploy easily to heroku using a simple script, and allows us to have the same environment on development and staging to make sure that any changes made locally will work on production.

Docker review by <span>Anton L.</span>
Anton L.

"Super helpfull container system"

What do you like best?

You can easily create containers to quickly set up a new server. Once learn, you can change the whole infrastructure of a business and your software.

You can also share configured images with other members of your team, so they will ask you to help with them in future. :)

What do you dislike?

The image building can take some time.

You definitely need to learn how to use it: read documentation, check examples, but as a result it's worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to do some tutorials on how to use Docker correctly. When you figure out how to use it right, you will see that's very easy to setup and use containers.

Deployment on different machines, with different configurations. We are able to focus more on real development and do not spend much time to solve machine/library configurations.

Docker review by <span>Wesley D.</span>
Wesley D.

"Super helpfull and easy for devloping"

What do you like best?

You can easily start up new services and create your own configuration which you can setup to be the same as the live environment.

It supports multiple containers at once and are easy to connect. I use it in different projects in combinations such as PHP, MySQL and Apache but also a combination of NGINX, Node, PHP and MySQL.

Since we have everything in a git repo the setup is the same for all of our developers including the front end developers.

What do you dislike?

That sometimes it crashes and you have to delete the whole docker machine sometimes a couple of times a day.

This may occur because we write a lot of tests in node and the box got stressed out because of that but it should not really occur. Also Currently have no idea where this is coming from but does not happen often just sometimes and sometimes a couple of times a day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Takes a little bit of time to figure out but when you use it right it is very easy to setup additional containers

We are a software developing company which writes software in PHP and Node.

We build many micro services and we can set those up with their own containers and their own PHP configurations when needed. We will deploy this on Amazon AWS with the container service they have for docker EC2 container service. Which will be very easy to deploy.

Docker review by <span>Marco I.</span>
Marco I.

"Docker makes your COmpany protagonist of an architectural revolution, both in cloud and on premisis"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and versatility. Docker cuts all the limitations due to systemic problems and achieves a uniform and independent layer from the underlying SO platforms.

What do you dislike?

Needs to better integrate with third part orchestration tools. Recently kubernetes native integration address this thing.

Docker helps in change paradigm in architectures design and in a gradual migration from monolithic application to microservices. Using Docker people in your Company and also your customers can understand the advantage in changing approach and also easily move your applications from on premisis datacenter to the cloud.

Docker review by <span>Christian L.</span>
Christian L.

"Amazing Container System"

What do you like best?

Everything? No really, Docker bring containers to the masses as a first class citizen of virtualization and assist in reducing time to deployment and configuration constraints by normalizing and baselining the install vector for applications. Sharing an app, part of an app, or developing for an app is made radically simply with the use of containers, and Docker acts as sugar applied to Linux containers. The available tools makes sharing containers, moving them around orchestrating deployments a breeze. Docker Swarm and Docker Compose are critical the success of leveraging Docker in a DevOps environment.

What do you dislike?

Documentation. A product of Docker's rapid growth is that the documentation is often sorely lacking or fragmented. It pays to be on the mailing list and to attend meet ups and watch all the docker videos possible because most of the helpful tidbits come from this. I'd like to see Docker improve in this area for 2017. It'll also make leveraging Docker in production more accessible to those who do not have the time to become SMEs on Docker and just need to leverage it as a tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just start using it to replace small portions of your deployment at first, the parts that can accept failure, perhaps using it to manage health of systems, and as you grow more comfortable with it, you can expand it to areas that make sense. Keep in mind, Docker is NOT a magic bullet, it will NOT fix all your problems or make your bed. What it will do, is reduce time to delivery for those areas that are bottled neck by config drift or time investments. No longer do you need to worry about your database deployment, or even the configuration management tool to roll this out, you can simply make a defined container, deploy it, make any changes that you need, and redeploy those changes in a fraction of a second. Booting a VM is fractionally faster then booting a physical machine. Booting a container is orders of magnitude faster (often in the tenths of seconds).

Reducing deployment friction is the chef benefit. The advent of the Cloud allowed us to break away from physical servers and rapidly develop our products and services. Docker adds a Saturn 5 rocket to that. It allows developers to easily build very complex application on their local machines much the same way VMs did, but with a fraction of the resources VMs take because of their reduced foot print. This in turn allows sharing prebuilt "containers" with a community be it within a organization or global in a matter of seconds. Additionally, the days of configuration drift are solved because we all have a common "language" for sharing configurations regardless of the tools used to build them.

Docker review by <span>Farid A.</span>
Farid A.

"Probably the best thing that ever comes out since Excel"

What do you like best?

It allowed me to create a server without spawning a full VM (which, for development purpose is very heavy) - what's not to like about that?

What do you dislike?

Slow if you try to run Docker inside a VM. Probably an unusual use-case, but some dev actually do development in VM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only time you need to re-consider using this is if your dev is developing inside VM with different kernels (example: Windows VM inside Linux host), it's very slow during startup. By slow, I mean like 10-15 mins startup time which is horribly slow.

Like I said before, having a server created without a full VM and all its maintenance things is THE big plus for dev.

Docker review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"An improved development & deployment story, but not without pain points"

What do you like best?

* Repeatable deployments

* Ability to quickly try out software made by other 3rd parties without having to deal with an installation process

What do you dislike?

* Slow when using with files residing on the host filesystem

* Command line interface is confusing, steep learning curve

We use Docker for both local development, and production deployments.

When developing locally, it is useful for us as it allows the development environment to closely mimic production execution. However, when using Docker locally with files mounted outside of container things can become untenably slow. This is especially apparent when developing Node apps inside docker, as there will be 1000s of small JS files that have to be imported & watched.

In production, having a single immutable artifact that is the result of a build process helps with repeatability, and diagnosis of issues as the development team can pull the production image from the registry and run it locally.

Docker review by <span>Robert L.</span>
Robert L.

"Docker"

What do you like best?

Ability to set up an entire environment vm from a docker instance!

What do you dislike?

It is a bit difficult to set up a fully working docker command-line tool on a Windows machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to spin up vms or set up instances / environments, docker is your go to solution. Online forum support is plentiful.

Not needing to set up a machine development environment from scratch each time. Super time saver in this case! This is great for on boarding new employees, but also to create sandbox environments.

"Docker is revolutionary"

What do you like best?

Docker allows for a customizable container for any type of application/microservice service/etc. I have used other virtualization tools before, such as VMWare, Vagrant, and none of them have been as easy to set up or easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Trying to handle and get multiple docker containers to talk to each other is definitely a challenge and requires a bit of a learning curve. Docker environments are not perfect replicas of actual linux servers, since they provide their own type of architecture, but luckily it's close enough to where it can be useful.

I have been using Docker mainly for running local development environments for my websites and applications. I have also encountered Docker on a production level, mainly at a read-only access level. It helps for fast and easy production-like local development, and especially easy setup in on-boarding new engineers onto our team, whereas previously we would have to set and update all our environments manually.

Docker review by <span>Erik R.</span>
Erik R.

"The future of everything, just not yet"

What do you like best?

The promise is amazing. Deploy anywhere and democratize application deployment. I run a semi-large app with a lot of smaller services, currently hosted on a VPS with bash and ansible for provisioning. Clicking in the VPS admin to create servers. Docker provides tools that would make all this go away, docker, but also docker-compose, docker-swarm and docker-machine.

What do you dislike?

You will run into a lot of bugs in this stage of the products life. Tried getting a very CPU and network intensive service up using docker-compose, docker-swarm and docker-machine. It worked for the first time, but I ran into a lot of issues and spent weeks on figuring out why. They are moving really fast, but for large production stuff I'd say wait a while and let them iron out all the kinks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like debugging weird issues, or run a really simple service, go ahead! If a lot of users depend on you and availability (and having time to talk to them and not searching docker github...), wait a bit.

Hosting an RSS service that uses Go, MySQL, Rails and microservices. When it's mature and Just Works™, it will be amazing. I know that the team and company will deliver.

Docker review by <span>C. Spencer B.</span>
C. Spencer B.

"DevOps Killer App If Only Orchestration Were More Advanced"

What do you like best?

Docker really takes the pain out of deploying complex infrastructure. It's more than just a virtualized OS, it's a whole way of thinking about how you deploy. Being able to run your code in any cloud public or private without any hiccups is amazing.

What do you dislike?

Once you have all your images and containers ready to go you are faced with a the 800-lb gorilla in the room: How do I orchestrate these? Kubernetes seems like overkill, but Docker Compose doesn't see powerful enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker requires you to think in a new way about your infrastructure. But think twice before breaking everything into microservices. Ask yourself: Is this really necessary? If I break my apps into multiple containers, does that harden it against failure.

Docker takes the voodoo out of keeping your servers running and porting them to a new env. Apps have clearly defined contracts with the rest of your systems.

Docker review by <span>David C.</span>
David C.

"Indispensable Tool for Local Development"

What do you like best?

Containerize ever individual piece of your development environment and create unmatched flexibility. Try out a new package version with a quick container swap and switch back with a few simple commands.

What do you dislike?

For more complex environments, the containers can hog quite a chunk of your host machine's resources.

We're able to emulate our production environment for testing new versions as well as debugging older versions of our applications.

Docker review by <span>Steen M.</span>
Steen M.

"An indispensable tool for a startup"

What do you like best?

That dependencies and special steps in the build process are now 100% documented and fully reproducible

What do you dislike?

Its still hard to get networking to function as easy as the other parts of docker.

The documentation many places contains only the bare minimum of information. In these ways, the product really shows that it is young.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Analyse your setup thouroughly. Try to start out with a single, easy case, such as the application server or apache. Read through other Dockerfiles to get an idea of how to organize your own; the devil is in the detail. There are many ways to structure a Dockerfile and doing it right will have a large impact on your container build times.

Do not try to containerize everything, at least not at first. Starting out, there are some things that are easier to manage outside of docker. Especially if it is crucial in your network traffic.

The docker community is very responsive and helpful. If you have a problem, be sure to gather server logs and environment information, as most of the issues with docker usually has their roots in some sort of misconfiguration.

Gone are now the days when we battled depencies on servers with every deploy and upgrade, special variables and startup parameters. And with ansible and digitalocean, our deploys are now fully automated.

Whenever we add a new dependency to our product, we containerize it and everyone on the team can be up and running in minutes.

Docker review by User in Computer Software

"With Kitematic - Docker is the Best Tool Ever."

What do you like best?

Being able to create a Virtual Machine that mimics and sets up an environment in 1 click is amazing. Need to destroy it? all one command super simple!

Mosts importantly, it takes out the super complex process required when setting up a new infrastructure. Once everything is ready, deploying everything towards production is vastly simple and streamlined.

What do you dislike?

When setting this up however, it is a challenge alongside large learning curve. Building your own configuration could take days but once the containers are all setup and running, the rewards are massive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker is absolutely amazing when it comes to QA environments and setting up developers with the environment they need.

For those that are getting started, Kitematic is an amazing interface to use with Docker. We have multiple instances of databases alongside docker and its amazing to be able to sandbox these environments.

Setting up a proper environment is tough, and manually doing them for each session creates issues. Being able to duplicate an environment with containers is amazing.

Docker review by <span>James P.</span>
James P.

"Why virtualize a whole computer when you can virtualize processes?"

What do you like best?

The ability to get a virtual environment up and running in mere seconds, rather than installing a whole OS inside of a virtual machine.

What do you dislike?

Command line can be obscure, desktop client can be feature-poor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Prepare to learn an entirely new category of deployment and systems management, but it is very worth the effort.

Reducing the cost of infrastructure, by requiring only virtual processes to run on cloud-compute resources, rather than entire Operating Systems.

Docker review by <span>YESMI T.</span>
YESMI T.

"A new way of developing App"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility to app deployment and the lot of images available; I like as with Docker I can to have lots softwares running at the some time; Also, the better that Docker have a version CE

What do you dislike?

That in some old computer can't to run, but is understandable

Recommendations to others considering the product

it a new way of manages your apps, it is great

We currently are migrating to a microservices environment, with docker we can to have a great support to completed this process

Docker review by User in Computer Software

"My experience with Docker"

What do you like best?

Docker helps me to easily deploy my app to our company's remote server. Also, it by using the same images, Docker guarantees that everybody who's using the same app, has the same code and configurations.

What do you dislike?

It has a steep learning curve, it took me a while to get acquainted with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to read the documentation before using it.

We've came a long way since the days of using a shared webserver. Back then, each webserver had a different configuration. Developing locally, meant a different configuration also. This implied lots of possible issues and bugs. Docker solves all this, by using compiled images that we can share around and deploy.

Docker review by <span>Clint C.</span>
Clint C.

"Idiot proof your setup."

What do you like best?

One of the nicest things about docker is the ability to experiment with a setup and then be able to completely tear it down or reset it if (or usually when) that experiment goes horribly wrong.

What do you dislike?

The chief complaint that I find with Docker is odd updates that may leave you completely dead in the water. Make sure and research the latest update before applying it to a vital machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker is easy to experiment with and the rewards are great for the small amount of effort that it takes to try it out.

We use it primarily as an easy way to setup, configure and update our development environments. We can easily install all the dependencies such as MySQL, CouchBase, and Ruby/Rails on a new developer's machine.

Docker review by <span>Filipe O.</span>
Filipe O.

"Deploy with ease and precision"

What do you like best?

There are many different use cases for Docker. What I like most about it is to configure the production environment for my applications and make sure it'll reproduce a equivalent configuration in any server I deploy it to.

What do you dislike?

There are a lots of commands and settings to learn, but that's not really a problem as Docker public target is technical staff. So, I don't have any dislike to report.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read a lot of tutorials about Docker. From beginning to intermediate, then to advanced. Learn it slowly and patienly. That will take time to master Docker, but it pays very well.

I use it mostly to deploy my applications with Nginx, Node.js, MongoDB, Redis and ElasticSearch. It's very easy to configure simple images and I can make sure my applications are working in the right environment and it'd be easy to throw the environments away and set them up again if needed. I've also set it up to cross compile Linux source code to embedded ARM platforms, it wasn't too hard and turned the configuration process much easier across developers.

Docker review by <span>Michael R.</span>
Michael R.

"Great way to ensure deployable artifacts are immutable"

What do you like best?

Allows one to easily create immutable deployment artifacts. Combine this with a docker-enabled hosting system to allow confident deployments & rollbacks without external dependencies.

What do you dislike?

It' a newer technology to learn, meaning teams will have a little downtime and existing deployment infrastructure may need changes to enable docker use.

This is all worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set aside time and money to invest in learning and re-tooling before committing to docker.

Confidence in deployment & rollback.

Docker review by <span>Christian S.</span>
Christian S.

"Docker wins out on so many levels, and has something to offer for all. "

What do you like best?

Docker has a number of strong suits and implementations depending upon your needs. It's ability to encapsulate software and services in a lightweight manner allow for portable dev environments and flexible production setups. Which can all be linked and networked together to share data as and where needed.

Software dependency and portability is no longer really a problem either with Docker. It changes workflows for the better and removes some recurrent annoyances. Public/private repositories to access and store container images are officially available from the Docker team too.

The project itself is also open-source so "free" to use by default. Training and community resources are on offer to all in various differing mediums. Most of which are good quality content wise and always being updated.

What do you dislike?

The documentation for Docker could be more intuitive and should feel a lot less unstructured than it currently does. If you can find and know what you're looking for it's fine, but finding what you need easily is the issue.

Security or security practices have for a while been a concern with Docker, and it's easy to see why when you're dealing with the utility that Docker provides. This seems to be an ongoing aspect for the developers and needs more time to be completely fleshed out.

It's still in its infancy in comparison to a lot of other services out there, so there are issues both well known and even yet to be discovered most likely. Be aware of this when adopting Docker to your infrastructure or needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker is talked about all over for good reason. It's likely it can be put to task in some way shape or form to help how you run things, regardless of the scale of the system. Start small and learn as you go along with it, don't dive into the deep end trying to implement everything you have with Docker. Start small, build up.

Some of my setups are now a hundred times easier to run. Deploying is quicker, workflow makes more sense, isolated services are easier to organise, and I can get more out of less with the efficiency Docker provides.

"Awesome for development"

What do you like best?

Its quite simple to get started - in terms of setup & technical complexity.

Furthermore, the declarative way of defining Dockerfiles makes the process of using Docker deterministic.

What do you dislike?

Running docker on Mac was a bit tedious ( virtual box + vagrant running a ubuntu img ). However, this is being addressed in the newer versions of Docker.

While Docker is an awesome tool for development, exploration and experimentation, I would be vary of using it for production.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome development tool - simple, portable & deterministic

IMHO its not something suitable for production as it doesnt solve DevOps concerns besides versioning.

When I want to have a quick deterministic environment for running/testing tasks, Docker provides a elegant solution.

Developers can share a Docker image to ensure everyone is using the same environment to build & test to provide a deterministic process for the team.

Docker review by <span>ᕓɪͼҟɪ .</span>
ᕓɪͼҟɪ .

"Efficient and Effective"

What do you like best?

Docker allows for smooth transitioning and seamless implementation. The software is an open-source tool with a variety of features and is user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Docker is a relatively new software and, in my opinion, the framework is still a work in progress. With Docker, there is less isolation which means a higher risk of potential crashes and/or malware issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker may not replace the need for virtualization; however, it does offer several benefits and is worth trying out.

Benefits of Docker include scalability, fast deployment, and the ability to integrate tools from GitHub. Docker has solved some issues by making it easier for team members to build collaborative codes.

Docker review by <span>Edward M. V.</span>
Edward M. V.

"Excellent for application development, but still evolving quickly"

What do you like best?

Docker is an excellent system for encapsulating all of the dependencies of a software package, so that it can be portably deployed either for development or for production. It uses technology derived from Linux containers to built a standard operating environment that collects only the resources that an application needs to work, and then networks together these containers to allow you to build services out of these components.

What do you dislike?

The biggest challenge with Docker is keeping up with the rapid pace of development. The Github project has hundreds of open issues, and the pace of development is such that if you are using advanced features that you are likely to run into substantial changes at every major release.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The easiest recommendation is to spin up some AWS instances and run Docker there to test how it works.

The most important problem that Docker solves is containing the dependencies that complex systems often present. By using a Dockerfile to enumerate and specify in detail each of these dependencies, it is possible to reliably build systems that don't suddenly break because of funky low-level changes that are unexpected.

Of course, you have added a new dependency (Docker), so you have to keep on top of that, but it's worth it to make sure that you don't have to cope with breakage due to unexpected library changes.

Docker review by <span>Diego P.</span>
Diego P.

"Docker in production server"

What do you like best?

Easy deployment and getting rid of the dependency hell is the selling point of Docker. Once you setup your Docker environment (which can be a pain in the arse if it is your first time), all your colleagues can use varying development environments without worrying about build errors and portability.

What do you dislike?

Depending on the OS, Docker may use different implementations to be able to act same on every platform out there. Current version therefore includes some workarounds for the sake of portability. Mac OSX and Windows version depend on a linux vm, FreeBSD version (unofficial port) use jails etc. Support is increasing but it would be good if we could use latest Docker with the same experience on every one of these platforms, especially on FreeBSD.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Beware the supported OS list. FreeBSD is missing.

Auto deployment hasn't been this easier before.

Even binary dependencies no longer cause build errors on different machines.

Crash recovery is so simple and dependable.

Attaching to a container, backing up logs and migration between operating systems is easier. (goodbye screen)

Docker review by <span>Wellington P.</span>
Wellington P.

"An awesome tool for developers"

What do you like best?

Docker is very easy to use, versatile and reliable. The community also makes a big difference in the product, mainly due to Dockerhub that has many images available, for most of the products you can imagine. It is also great because you can push your own images. Another great tool is Docker Registry (now Docker Distribution) that enables every company to have its own image repository. Great tool!!!

What do you dislike?

Besides its wide documentation, I feel it's a little bit confusing. It's difficult to know if an particular solution would apply to the user's version of Docker or also with a particular OS, like Mac OS for example. I also had some trouble with my version of Mac OS + Docker Machine + Virtualbox. If your environment is a pure Linux I think you won't have any trouble.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really recommend try Docker. For developers it's easy to start and you'll have immediate gains. But the biggest advantage is to create images for your products and put them in production!! This you require more effort but the benefits will pay!! Start with one product, adapt your process, have fluidity with it and then migrate other applications. It's a way which you won't regret to take.

As a developer I try use Docker to run all dependent applications that the software I build needs, for example, databases, caches, application servers, and so on. Docker is also good to run integration or acceptance tests. For example, if you have to test your application using an Oracle DB, then you can get an instance up & running in few minutes.

Docker review by <span>George G.</span>
George G.

"Develop-test-deploy-iterate in fast forward"

What do you like best?

Docker is a clean an elegant way to organize your development and testing environments. Also you get the deployment systems for free since it's the same container as your the one you develop. Docker helps you strip out the unnecessary elements of a system leaving you with a clean and complete (for your purpose) system. This fact saves many resources in the deployed version. Furthermore Docker is enhancing re-usability and maintenance.

What do you dislike?

Documentation is not structured enough. You have to search all over the internet to get what you need. And still it helps you only until the intermediate level, while there are plenty more aspects in Docker that can make your productive reach the ceiling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Analyse how much you need docket before incorporating it. You might result in a situation that you don't get very beneficial but you have already adjusted your workflow. You might be happy with traditional VMs and get tricked by the trend.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Docker itself will not give you a complete solution. You have to do a research for other tools that will make Docker shine (eg swarm or tutum).

Easy and straightforward deployments. Minimize time-to-deployment factor. Have an easy, clean and uniform workflow among all the members of the team.

Docker review by <span>Matthew S.</span>
Matthew S.

"With Docker, your apps and services can declare independence from your host OS."

What do you like best?

Docker popularized the practice of running apps and services inside isolated containers. The underlying technology and practices were already available to a degree, but to use those technologies in a meaningful way, you once had to build quite a bit of tooling and infrastructure on your own.

Docker-the-tool makes this process easier using a friendly API and CLI, and because Docker-the-company is well funded, additional tools have emerged that make the process even simpler. For example, docker-compose lets you spin up an entire cluster of interconnected containers on your local machine using a single YAML file. Then, you can make some minor changes to that file, and use the Tutum service to manage deploying a cluster of production machines running those same service.

What do you dislike?

There is still a lack of coherent documentation that describes how to build an entire stack of software, with horizontal scaling, zero-downtime deploys, and so forth. There are also some security-related anti-patterns that can be easily overlooked at first (such as using the "root" user inside a container).

It can also be difficult or impossible to work on "Dockerfiles" (build scripts for docker images) when you have no connectivity, limited connectivity, or bandwidth caps. This is due to a need to re-run the entirety of any step that was changed. For example, if you have a step that pulls in 100MB of packages, and you want to add one more package to that list, then rebuilding will cause the entire set of packages to be re-downloaded in the typical use case.

Finally, with some types of language ecosystems, it's difficult to run a development environment inside a set of containers while also using a hot-reloading environment. You can build and test containers locally pretty quickly, but that is still slower than not rebuilding at all in those types of development scenarios.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pay attention to good security practices, and to avoid corresponding anti-patterns.

Use "docker-machine" to isolate your Docker environment on your development systems.

Use "docker-compose" to prepare stacks of containers to run in your development environment.

Evaluate the Tutum service (recently acquired by Docker, Inc.) as a way to deploy stacks of containers to your production and QA infrastructure.

We chose to replace a monolithic, vertically-scaled app deployment system with horizontally-scaled Docker containers running on AWS and managed by the Tutum service.

So far, the direct benefits we've realized have been faster deployment times, easier and more trustworthy deployment workflows, and better separation and monitoring of services at runtime.

The net effect has been that our app and its services have been performing faster, we are deploying more frequently, and we can now modularize our code more effectively to optimize for memory consumption.

Last but not least, we achieved a reduction in our monthly hosting costs!

Docker review by <span>Jake M.</span>
Jake M.

"Docker- a more genuine path to the goals Virtual Machines try to solve"

What do you like best?

Docker makes the process of getting through the domain knowledge about Linux Containers much easier than going through old, traditional methods. Throwing aside the need to juggle dozens of separate concerns, everything goes through the container system, giving you a simple CLI to create a large, dynamic system of interworking components simply.

In other words, Docker makes setting up new servers as fast as downloading a container from a repo and starting it. It also does it to a strength that traditional VMs just can't manage- Docker Containers are small, performant, and guaranteed rock-solid.

What do you dislike?

Documentation when I wrote most of what I did with Docker was inconsistent, and half of it was contained on blogs somewhere on the internet. On top of this, the community can be a bit purist- if you're not doing things "their way", often other users whom you seek help from will throw up walls to getting the solution you need.

Also, there's a lot of obvious quality-of-life improvements needed throughout the software, but as relatively young software this is unsurprising, and the situation improved rapidly even in the months I was working on Docker project.

The two biggest problems Docker solves easily, is that of making a server reproducible, and setting up development/testing environments easier.

With the right Docker setup, you could have a single command(using Vagrant) that will bring up any number of containers necessary to run your entire app or test suite, while using almost no resources unrelated to the actual processes involved. This also makes the process of parallelizing heavy tasks, like large test suites, much easier.

But the biggest benefit, is simply time. When your VirtualBox or VMWare setup goes wrong for some reason, it often requires a full re-build, which often takes ~30 minutes. Even the daily bootup requires 5 minutes, often.

On the other hand, you've got Docker- the first time you bring a container down, the download time is the only thing you're limited by. After it's downloaded, it's near instant to have anything running- and with the sophisticated caching measures Docker uses to make VM automation feel like Git, that first time build is often shortened to seconds.

Docker review by <span>Andrew M.</span>
Andrew M.

"Docker Helps Developers of All Sizes Simplify Their Workflow"

What do you like best?

Docker is a tool that allows for developers of all size to develop and deploy applications with confidence and in a streamlined manner. Docker images allow for the exact environment you develop on to be used in test and prod, reducing bugs from changing environments. The community is fantastic and there are plenty of resources for developers that simply want to manually "docker push" and "docker run", or perform enterprise level cluster management with tools like Kubernetes.

What do you dislike?

Some of the tools in the Docker ecosystem-- the software that helps you actually *use* Docker in production-- is a little young. Tutum (recently purchased by Docker) allowed for even small developers to compose services and connect them together with software-defined networks and service discovery, but other self-hosted alternatives are still maturing. In essence, while the community is a strength, it is also a weakness-- it's in development and will still take time to fully develop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate Docker before you commit to using it-- there's a lot of situations where Docker isn't right for your company.

The development to test to production workflow is extremely difficult to get right. Small development shops may be able to setup a CI/CD platform, such as Jenkins, GitLab CI, or a hosted solution like Travis, but these test environments are not the same as the production platforms. Docker eliminates the differences between each stage of development.

Docker review by <span>Paul L.</span>
Paul L.

"I have been using Docker since their first public release and got hooked immediately."

What do you like best?

I am always interested in the development of software, Docker nonetheless. That means that I'm trying to watch the commit history very carefully on Github and so i will be ahead and aware of new features that will show up in the upcoming release.

What do you dislike?

The toolkit around docker is rather large and sometimes there seems to be along way until you get to docker. You have docker-machine which can boot docker rather fast but lets take this step further. Now i want to boot docker on three different providers, add a scheduler (docker-swarm) and high-availability (a consul-cluster outside of docker) we are starting to get there but this is rather complex. I still miss scaling up and down depending on usage thresholds.

Metal as a service seems to grow in popularity. Combine this with a micro service architecture you would get a lot af bang for your bucks. Direct access to your hardware. Take a look at packet as an example. Checkpointing memory from a container and restore it to a docker daemon in another datacenter would allow you to continue where you left off in another country. Moving a session of the game quake 3 arena from one side off the world to another is something i always wanted to do on friday evening.

Docker review by <span>Vivek J.</span>
Vivek J.

"Docker enables us to do Continuous Delivery at Scale"

What do you like best?

Docker enables us to leverage Containers to create disposable, immutable and a consistent infrastructure for our Developer teams. The user experience of using Docker and the related workflow is fantastic. The learning curve is not steep, allowing our developers to adopt it quickly in their development process. The Docker ecosystem is extensive, allowing us to invest in using and building tools that powers our Continuous Delivery Pipeline. The simplicity of the product is the best part of the overall experience. The pace of innovation in Docker and the related community allows us to focus on providing better developer experience at all times.

What do you dislike?

We had issues with Docker on different file system drivers like DeviceMapper. (AUFS works for us without issues right now). Also, we are not using Docker for persistent services like Database that requires us to use Host volumes. Docker's support for persistent containers is still patchy, and is not a permanent solution. Rather we would invest on using Distributed shared file system to be able to sustain persistent containers. Concurrent Docker image pulls also fail for some file system drivers used with Docker. Security assessment of Docker images is still in very early stage, and is something that is causing friction with our Security teams for mass adoption.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its important to setup a pilot project, ideally a non-critical small scale one, to evaluate Docker. One must also consider integration of Docker with the Continuous Deployment pipeline. Invest in a clustered scheduler like Swarm or Mesos to perform deployment of the Docker container images onto the Docker hosts. Look for impact on your software development process, especially the Service discovery mechanism and persistence services.

We are building a Continuous Delivery Infrastructure for our Development teams using Docker. This allows us to ship products faster, and more reliably to the Production environment. For business, it means that Technology teams are able to release software faster. We are also solving the problem of scaling our applications quickly to meet user demands.

The adoption of Docker has allowed us to use standard Container image format as the final deployable, instead of moving Code Packages to the Production environment. This helps us to standardize our deployment unit in the form of a portable Container image. The Docker workflow allows to integrate Docker with our CD pipeline. The integration services including API is very easy to work with. Docker events helps us to capture audit trail while users are using the system. This helps us to better catch metrics as the users use the system. The use of layered file system in Docker allows us to build container images quickly, allowing us to create immutable systems.

Docker review by <span>Lukas S.</span>
Lukas S.

"Functional but not perfect"

What do you like best?

Easy to spawn new environments for testing, using container images identical to those already running on production systems to easily reproduce problems found in production. Also it enables for quick and easy setup of development environments, without the hassle of explaining everybody how to configure a web-server or other software.

What do you dislike?

This stateless stuff is all cool but it has some drawbacks.

Sometimes there are security updates, just tiny updates, but if you want to update them the normal way to go is to actually rebuild the whole container, and maybe upload a few hundred megabytes of data to a few dozen servers, this gets really annoying, and there doesn't seem to be any nice solution to this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At the moment i'd suggest staying away from Hub images if you want to use Docker in production.

Images change from time to time and some (mostly inofficial) images are out of date, possibly being a security problem just waiting to be exploited.

Like said above we use it to be able to reproduce production errors in a very similar environment, this makes bugs that appear on production a lot easier to reproduce and fix. It also allows us to set up new testing or development environments in just a few minutes, where most of the time actually is spent on copying over a database or some image files.

Docker review by <span>Marc S.</span>
Marc S.

"Docker is the future"

What do you like best?

I can only speak as to their Docker product here, and i love it. I think containerization is going to be a front-runner in how people develop & deploy their software applications, and Docker is by far the best option in this space.

What do you dislike?

There's still a bit of a learning curve here, especially for developers without a good sense of how the operations side of things work. That's not exactly the fault of Docker itself, but anything they can do to help in this area would only improve their adoption rates.

Simple, "factual" deployment - that's more or less the biggest problem Docker is solving for us. I use the word "factual" because this whole process really promotes the "what you see is what you get" philosophy for deploying applications.

Docker review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Best Used for Large Deployments"

What do you like best?

Containerization gives exceptional control over environment, which reduces bugs and unpredictable test results.

What do you dislike?

Local development can be a hassle with logs from all services being lumped into one giant stream on STDOUT. This isn't so much of a problem in production when connected to a mature logging service (we use SumoLogic) which allows easy querying, but it can make local debugging a bit messy.

Docker allows us to do all the environment configuration before deploying, instead of having to maintain a series of build scripts. It produces consistent and reproducible environments for running applications which significantly reduces the sources of error in deployment.

Docker review by <span>Yurui Z.</span>
Yurui Z.

"Great to setup development environment that is exactly like production"

What do you like best?

* Easy to get up and running

* Supports a wide variety of systems/technologies

* Easy to share with others

* Very maintainable

What do you dislike?

* Layers can get very deep if not careful enough

* Somewhat deep learning curve when it comes to scaling

We have a bunch of rails applications that talk to each other, they also use separate databases, caching, etc. Setting up development environment for new devs has been a challenge until we converted our apps to Docker. Now we build, test, and ship our applications with the same container technology without having to worry about system differences.

Docker review by <span>Jianyu T.</span>
Jianyu T.

"Great tool for DevOps"

What do you like best?

The best way to eliminate typical dev / testing / prod environment issue

Simplified the deployment practice for most service systems.

Also contains a large number of pre-built images includes most frequently used services, nginx, mysql, etc. Implemented a new way to setup a service with nearly 0 impact on the host.

What do you dislike?

Different running model compares to traditional software development / deployment method

Introduced a little complicated management of networking / storage

Difficult to remote manage / monitoring

Resource sharing between containers or hosts is complex

The docker hub is limited to free user, can only have one private image

The private image repository / registry is a little complex to setup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the trend for future SaaS development and operation

Setting up new services including vpn, gitlab, jenkins by using docker images is pretty simply now.

Docker review by <span>Rudy Z.</span>
Rudy Z.

"Amazing product that keeps getting better and better"

What do you like best?

Docker has provided freedom to setup, replicate, distribute our work environments and deployment environments.

What do you dislike?

This is a product that is work in progress, additional functionalities are being added and numerous bugs that are annoying. Also, theres security concerns around containers and how to secure these containers. The code base still changes at a relatively quick pace compare to other more mature software products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker is still a relatively new technology, in large corporations, this product may not be yet certified for production use due to slow approval cycle.

Replication of development environment, software distribution, and need-based customized software environments

Docker review by User in Computer Software

"the ship has not sailed"

What do you like best?

I was able to quickly grasp using Docker in a matter of minutes. There is so much documentation and it does exactly what we need it to do - single containers for every project we have.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it would be sooo slow! I was never sure if it was on my end or Docker's. I'd try to check on docker status but it wouldn't always be updated with server downtimes. Also, it was very difficult for me to get up and running on Windows. I was actually unable to, I could not find any good walk throughs.

Trying to make sure everyone is able to work on any given project at the same time without having to worry about environments.

Docker review by <span>Natalia K.</span>
Natalia K.

"Good took for deployment and DevOps"

What do you like best?

It's easy to get started with Docker and set it up. It has quite a good documentation. It makes the deployment process easier and useful for DevOps to mimic the production environment.

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit of time to build an initial docker image.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is useful when you need to do deployment to multiple servers or if you need to mimic the production environment for DevOps.

Docker makes the setup of the project locally and the deployment to dev / stage / production easier. It is convenient to use it with auto-scaling in AWS.

Docker review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Docker, micro-services and containers"

What do you like best?

Docker is basically a wrapper for the LXC Container, but I does much more than that.

With Docker, you will be able to put everything you need, like a web app, servers or even databases, in a container and then ship it to your production environment.

With Docker Compose, you can orchestrate a whole infrastructure based of Docker container, you just have to describe your setup in a yaml file, it's really infrastructure as code.

And furthermore, you can even manage Docker Cluster with Swarm, which will allow you to deploy containers on multiples hosts as it was only one Docker engine.

What do you dislike?

Docker is still in development, which means that there is still some missing functions, like complete networking customization or container startup management in Compose.

But the Docker team answers very quickly on their GitHub and there are many talented developers submitting pull request to enhance Docker

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a lot of server to manage, Docker could be the solution to deploy easily your projects, it's so easy that your development team can do the deployment themselves, Docker is perfect to go DevOps !

We created a transcoding infrastructure with High Availability and Clustering.

We used Compose to create the whole infrastructure, and we also made some images, for meteor deployment and also for mongoDB Replica Set. We did used images like mongo, celery or meteord.

The full infrastructure can be found on GitHub, I've also linked a screenshot of the current yaml compose file.

With Docker, we successfully made our transition to a DevOps mind in our company.

Docker review by <span>David W.</span>
David W.

"A great product"

What do you like best?

There are two features that I really love about Docker:

1. My development environment and production environments are the same, because both environments are running the same container.

2. Deployments are easy and the same deployment can be used by any team that deploys Docker containers.

What do you dislike?

The biggest pain points I've had with Docker are:

1. Network issues: Sometimes networking can be confusing when you're running a container.

2. Uploading Docker images to your Docker registry: the images can be quite large. And, given that they use a union file system, you can run out of i-nodes which can be surprising

Where I work, we are providing tools to internet marketers. The biggest benefits of using Docker are ease of deployments and the consistency of the deploys.

Docker review by <span>Yoanis G.</span>
Yoanis G.

"Docker is probably the singles best which have happen in the industry over the last 2/3 years. I"

What do you like best?

The thing I love about Docker is consistency. Before Docker we had to think about environments, installations, configurations, etc and it was all a big mess. With Docker we still have to think about it but in a more organic, organize and consistent way.

What do you dislike?

Seriously I don't know what I don't like about Docker. Maybe the fact that more people should be using it but that's nothing to do with Docker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it and you won't regret it. Yes, the learning curve it's a bit steep but once you're pass it the future is just bright.

Continuous deployment, Continuous integration, Easier setup of development environments, Clustering.

Docker review by <span>Sean B.</span>
Sean B.

"Scalable and works on every platform"

What do you like best?

I really like that I can download and distribute software that I know is guaranteed to work without any distribution specific differences.

What do you dislike?

A minor annoyance when installing software is that I have to specify what repo. It would be nice if I could just tell it to install a package and if I didn't specify repo it would prompt from some of the most popular ones.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker works great while keeping files in sync with your Git repo. Just don't substitute one for the other.

I'm able to send docker images to friends and not have to worry about their environment not being sane. This is a great benefit and allows us to quickly setup more than one development environment.

Docker review by <span>Stewart H.</span>
Stewart H.

"Excellent tool for rapid devops"

What do you like best?

The reproducibility for developers. Got a bug in production? Simply take a copy of the container running in production, load it on your desktop, open up a few ports, and start debugging.

What do you dislike?

The ramp up time and mental model is pretty heavy. It is not like running an application on your desktop. Pretty much anything that you have done developing on your desktop is quite different such as mounting a drive, connecting to a socket, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the release as they have had a few that aren't backwards compatible that have caught us off guard.

We are containerizing our software for quicker releasing and a more scalable product.

Docker review by <span>Will W.</span>
Will W.

"Docker enables productivity and sharing of work."

What do you like best?

Reduces dependencies, able to share docker configs with co-workers, written on Go.

What do you dislike?

need clarity on how to cleanup extra volumes, old images, overall cleanup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn how to maintain and clean up images and volumes on your server.

DevOps, Application deployment and dev.

Docker review by <span>Scott M.</span>
Scott M.

"Excellent Software with a few growing pains."

What do you like best?

Makes it quick and easy to deploy software on Linux. Tools available make building tiny, sandboxed, secure packages a breeze. Allows me to be confident that my services will run exactly the same way on my laptop and on my server.

What do you dislike?

Docker Hub is sometimes slow. Docker Private Registry is extremely unreliable when backed by S3. Docker Private Registry is not horizontally scalable. Docker is not truly "run anywhere" because it's architecture and OS-dependant. Much of the community is following poor practices by using Ubuntu as their base image, creating images that are far too large.

There is not yet a really good way to handle shared disk (such as NFS)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to think about how you are going to deploy Docker, and embrace a microservices architecture. The Larger your Docker images get, the more difficult they are to deploy quickly.

Need to speed up and streamline CI/CD, as well as saving cost.

Building a Docker image takes seconds, vs building an AMI which takes at least 5 minutes.

Spinning up a local environment is much simpler with Docker than with VMs, and much more consistent.

Makes Operations and DevOps significantly simpler than with using AMIs or scripting installation at boot time.

Docker review by <span>Eric H.</span>
Eric H.

"Docker is great, once everything is set up"

What do you like best?

The ability to replicate environments and distribute software that is guaranteed to be idempotent is very nice

What do you dislike?

The initial set up is complicated if you've never used it before. Not to say impossible, but there are several different ways to install docker and finding the "best" way can be tricky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very powerful and once everything is set up properly, it's a set-and-forget type of deployment

Provides us a means to deploy our web application in an efficient manner

Docker review by User

"Docker makes deployment easy"

What do you like best?

That its popular, free, and open source! There's a huge community backing for it, and any help you need is usually just a Google search away. There already exist many containers for the typical software stacks that you might need: nginx, nodeJS, Postgres or MySQL... And if it doesn't exist yet, you can make your own.

What do you dislike?

As with any new deployment technology, it takes a bit of a learning curve. Not a large one, but typically when you introduce a new layer of tech to your colleagues, they might groan due to the fact that it's once again another layer they have to deal with. Yet I feel that it's worth going through the effort to learn it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a moment of your time! It's awesome.

Deployment on different machines, with different hardware. Typically whenever you set up required software on a machine, you SSH into it, then have to go through a standard configuration of it to set it up. Docker makes it more simple.

"Excellent Software"

What do you like best?

The ability to build a container that will run the same anywhere is immensely useful and just feels like the correct way to deploy software. This is a transformative concept that can help improve many aspects of software development within an organization.

What do you dislike?

Docker hub is very feature light right now. Currently it just stores images, which it does very well, but it would be nice to see some integrations with service providers that can run the containers. This seems like a good area for Docker (the company) to expand their paid offering. It was a bit of a pain for me to figure out how to run a container on Amazon and Google as it required learning all about their proprietary products. It would be a nice benefit if Docker Hub had some ready-made integrations to click a button and have the container run (and dynamically scale) somewhere. This of course is a separate matter from the actual Docker software, but it would make the paid offering worth more if such functionality were included.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it.

I needed to deploy a complex application where the setup had many complex steps. With alternative deployment techniques this it would have meant a lot of effort tailoring different environments to the specific needs of the system and training developers on all the details of operating it locally. With Docker, the container just becomes an executable thing that runs anywhere Docker does. This lets our team work on other important tasks and avoid maintaining servers where this system runs.

Docker review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"A great way to make sure your dev and prod environments are in sync"

What do you like best?

Docker allows one to roll exactly the same environments on various hosts, not depending on host OS. With support for user namespaces docker provides one more step to perfect containerization. There are a few software solutions that allow one to build on Docker if more complexity is required, Kubernetes and Mesos come to mind, but even the bare-bones Docker or paired with Swarm is a good option for simple deployments.

What do you dislike?

Some isolation issues are questionable, and it's absolutely not a replacement if the solution requires a dedicated VM. Docker is not easy to scale in some medium-sized environments, where Swarm is not enough and Mesos is overkill. Several hosts require careful attention to data volumes and data migration. The official repository contains lots of images with very questionable content, basically if Docker is used in prod one'd better forget about official repo existence.

Docker is used in a small clustered environment with geographically distributed machines. Together with etcd and ceph it provides the reliability for jobs in it. Docker makes it easy to scale jobs and move them between the hosts.

Docker review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Brief"

What do you like best?

I used docker to build a proof of concept application and I liked how mobile it made our development environments. It didn't matter what machine we were using PC or Mac it was easy for the other developers to get their environments up and running quickly.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a steep learning curve to setting it up. But once you get over it, it runs smoothly

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product. I would highly recommend it for large projects that involves many developers.

I used while working on a proof of concept project. It helped make sure other developers involved didn't have to do much configuration to get the application up a running

Docker review by User in Computer Software

"Uniform Deployment Model for any Application"

What do you like best?

Docker provides a set of capabilities to package and deploy almost any user-space application. It allows you to treat all applications in the same manner and set limits to what resources that application can consume without having to create a heavy weight VM. It's enabling developers and operations teams to create resilient platforms that deliver greater repeatability, lower complexity and greater uptime.

What do you dislike?

Docker is going through a maturity phase. Lots of tools are solving the same problems. Delivering stateful (database) applications with docker can be challenging but the ecosystem is improving rapidly.

Docker has helped me standardize the platforms that development, QA, and customers use to run the software. Because the containers run the same image, the amount of uncertainty between the environments has been reduced. This means that installation becomes simpler and less time is spent troubleshooting environment specific problems.

Docker review by <span>Maheedhar G.</span>
Maheedhar G.

"Jet set go!"

What do you like best?

Environment can be isolated and all the libraries necessary can be provided to each container separately. This simplified the deployment by leaps and bounds by avoiding in-consistencies,

What do you dislike?

no easy dashboard like interface. Kubernetes is evolving to handle a lot of the deployment but more functionality should be added. Jenkins integrations will be also great to have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

make sure to do a POC and quantize the ROI. Must try!

We have been deploying microservices and using modern concepts like hysterix which enables dampening of services in the case of failure. Docker is a very natural way to handle such scenarios.

Docker review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent product for development"

What do you like best?

Ability to script containers to automate deployment which can run on any platform.

Docker containers are very lightweight and can be packaged up and deploy to any host on any platform and speeds up development time considerably and also ensures the same software is present regardless of where it is deployed.

What do you dislike?

Setting up persistent storage can be a pain but once you have mastered how to do this then its great.

Including additional docker hosts as a swarm can also be quite difficult but otherwise when its working its great.

Streamlines packaging and deployment of software and once you have scripted a container it can be ported anywhere.

"Maximum flexibility"

What do you like best?

Docker allows to deploy faster and lighter solutions based on existing templates with minimum resources. Although it appear on the spot recently, there are many templates that you can download to use as starting point for your own purposes.

What do you dislike?

Unless you prepare a proper configuration, the status or changes are lost once you shutdown the instance.

The Windows version still requires a bit of improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before implementing any solution, think carefully how to distribute the mounting points. The changes done within the instance are not saved unless they are done on a separated drive.

The implementation of isolated applications that run in separated environments within the same host.

Docker review by User in Computer Software

"Containers are the future"

What do you like best?

Docked strips away all the unnecessary parts of running an application on a full blown OS on a VM. It allows you to scale more efficiently and more effectively.

What do you dislike?

Overall, the documentation is pretty good. I think that there needs to be improvements on how Docked containerizes databases and how other containers can use those databases.

Using Docked at the start up I worked at allowed us to have lean and clean services that were super easy to scale. It was really great not having to worry about some giant monolith later on.

Docker review by <span>Carlos Eduardo C.</span>
Carlos Eduardo C.

"An excellent tools for DeVops"

What do you like best?

Fast and aesy apps deployment, independent deployments, isolated containers that carries all the dependencies and configuration needed with it and easy to learn and use.

What do you dislike?

For now docker only supports amd64, but there are ARM images that could be use on raspberry pi, check this link: http://blog.hypriot.com/downloads/

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you, need to deploy apps in many servers, work with different OS, use different programing languages, services like web servers or email servers, etc. You will find in Docker one of the best tools in the industry.

Apps deployment and service management

Docker review by <span>Achilleas K.</span>
Achilleas K.

"Docker Review"

What do you like best?

I like the devops workflow, i like that i can collaborate easily with the team members and we can also separate our responsibilities according to our specialities. Also, in the future we should implement the docker technology in our web infrastructure using Orchestration.

What do you dislike?

its a bit complicated in the beginning and we need some more documentation

Recommendations to others considering the product

i recommend this with eyes closed

devops operations are boosted significantly

Docker review by <span>Toby A.</span>
Toby A.

"A very easy, scale-able, simple virtulisation tool, fit for most cases - but not all."

What do you like best?

The pure simplicity of using a Docker file allows you to rapidly set up and deploy your environment.

What do you dislike?

The build process is rather time consuming and annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure Docker will fit into your environment. Docker DOES use resources, and running multiple VMs may not be as cost efficient as spinning up rented hypervised servers from cloud hosts such as DigitialOcean or Linode.

I'm in need of deploying, destroying, and updating multiple game servers at any given time. Docker allows me to spin up these instances, almost instantly.

Docker review by <span>Ryan W.</span>
Ryan W.

"Ultimate container for both microservice and monolithic architecture"

What do you like best?

The cleanness of the isolated environment

What do you dislike?

The docker image building speed can be faster

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better use it with docker-compose

Virtualization of out web applications and APIs

Docker review by Consultant in Computer Networking
Consultant in Computer Networking

"Docker - Next Generation Open source environment."

What do you like best?

Light weight, highly extensible open-source environment with a great repository of images. Repository would help in creating standard environments more effectively.

What do you dislike?

Takes a lot more learning curve but can significantly help if there is a GUI for newbies. Role based security would help managing images more efficiently in the enterprise world. Local repositories would help better in an enterprise world then actually using the centralized repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Docker really is helpful for system administrator to be able to efficiently deploy most common deployments of a Web-based, J2EE or Cloud based applications,

Trying to test healthcare framework to be able to deploy on multiple user environments as a product for performance and scalability testing. We were able to test for a most possible enterprise environments for average benchmarks.

Docker review by <span>Amey M.</span>
Amey M.

"The buzz has become a roar"

What do you like best?

Docker has made containers easier and safer to deploy and use than previous approaches. Docker makes it possible to set up local development environments that are exactly like a live server,

What do you dislike?

With Docker, all containers must use the same operating system and kernel.

it makes it easy for developers to quickly create ready-to-run containered applications; and it makes managing and deploying applications much easier.

Docker review by <span>Eliezer A.</span>