Docker

Docker is the world's leading software container platform to build, ship, and run any app anywhere.

Work for Docker?

Learning about Docker?

Docker Reviews

Showing 129 Docker reviews
Docker review by <span>Chris R.</span>
Chris R.

"Docker has revamped our team's workflow!"

What do you like best?

Docker streamlines many aspects of our workflow: from development to microservice deployment. Docker is everything a VM is not. We even use it for creating simple static websites. It plays very nice with continuous integration/deployment tools like Jenkins and Teamcity.

What do you dislike?

Although not directly a flaw of Docker itself, we have had some difficulties with the shared volumes functionality. It is a bit difficult to set up user permissions for mounted folders. We want this for our development workflow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! The learning curve is not bad at all.

Everybody knows Docker excels at setting up consistent, reproducible, environments, so i'd like to highlight some of the more subtle niceties instead. Speed. Getting up and running with a new Docker-powered project is fast. Developers can shared docker images, wire them together, and produce working prototypes in a matter of hours. For example, you can deploy a production-ready wordpress site with a single docker-compose file!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Docker
Docker review by <span>Alexandra C.</span>
Alexandra C.

"very useful application"

What do you like best?

I like that there are plenty of Docker images and that I do not have to install a bunch of programs to run a program, especially if I just want to try it out. I use a lot of programs for genomic assembly and analysis. Docker allows me to save some space on my computing cluster by only using a program as needed rather than installing it and consuming valuable space.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that sometimes programs are out of date and sometimes, I cannot open a Docker container due to some background issue. Also, it did take a me a bit to learn how Docker worked, but I learned fairly quickly. Mainly, though, I dislike that I didn't know about Docker sooner.

I am able to test out programs without having to download a bunch of stuff and take up precious space on my computing cluster.

What Container Management solution do you use?

Docker review by <span>Chethan C.</span>
Chethan C.

"Dock IT and forget it"

What do you like best?

Docker has saved us thousands of hours in patching and downtime. Spinning up a virtual instance in our SaaS environment was always a challenge, Docker made it possible. From Dev -> QAS -> Sandbox -> Stage -> Prod it has saved us time, money and possible embarrassment.

What do you dislike?

A few small issues but takes a lot of time to work around. The Docker images are somewhat stateless and creating persistent storage is extra effort.

What is dislike most is to answer the question: "What is the Future of Docker?" when I get asked by our internal sponsors. It doesn't seem as bright as it was 3 years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are still in the planning phase and haven't implemented Docker yet, please know the future before you start deep dive discussions.

Rest assured, as of today (or couple of years ago), it was obviously going to save us time, money and effort. We've been able to achieve near 0 downtime patches, upgrades etc and with lot less manual errors. The way to manage patching in different data-centers has been overly simplified. The developer edition is free and Enterprise edition is really worth couple of thousand $$. Since it is mostly community driven, don't always rely on getting free fixes, feel free to fix it as well :)

In a SaaS environment, there are hundreds of VMs in several data centers we operate. Patching it every week, month, quarter and year was painful. We brought in Docker and since than weekends have been relaxed. It has saved time, money & effort.

Docker review by <span>Eric D.</span>
Eric D.

"Docker is awesome, but continue support for windows images"

What do you like best?

Ease of use to create and deploy containerized services/images. It is easy to install and use. It is a great tool for deploying a whole lightweight environment, with minimal setup. It is supported on almost all popular operating systems. The documentation for docker is very well done. I also like that is it open source.

What do you dislike?

Windows images are much bigger compared to linux ones, and there are some limitations to running windows containers. I don't like how you can't use virtual box wile running docker. I don't like that you have to reboot/restart docker when switching between windows and linux containers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

docker is the industry standard right now for containerizing services and deploying standalone images. I highly recommend it. Documentation and getting started guide are well done and easy to understand.

deploying many microservices across an enterprise for service based architecture. This helps us deploy and version our individual services as we develop each component individually, rather than on monolithic application. Docker has helped us modernize our development approach and keep up with industry partners.

Docker review by <span>José Gabriel G.</span>
José Gabriel G.

"A very great tool to have your development environment ready to start to work"

What do you like best?

It's open source. It makes you able to have a self-contained of an entire platform to run, test or develop a specific application. To work in a team is the best option because you and your team don't have to be worried about if you have different versions of libraries or languages or servers or operating system, all your project needs are going to be contained in the docker image.

Taking into account that you don't need a Virtual Box or another machine virtualization system is another big advantage over similar systems such as Vagrant.

It has a lot of plugins to give you more features, for example, docker-compose that is a plugin that allows you to define a file where you decide the images (Multiple containers) you want to be in your application platform, who and how is going to be linked with, define the service ports that are going to be exposed to use them out of the container.

Another useful plugin could be docker swarm that allows you to have persistence of data in volumes, or outside containers.

What do you dislike?

- The support for MAC is not native.

- It doesn't have a GUI to help the user be able to use easily without learning commands and how to define a dockerfile.

It allows to be more proactive due to the developer's team because we only need to be worried about programming our project, we don't need to be worried about what version of whatever I need to run my application, or if I need a different version for another project. It's very fast to start a new project.

Docker review by <span>vivek s.</span>
vivek s.

"DEPLOY AND RUN YOUR DREAM APPS.."

What do you like best?

I'd say that docker is a tool that is particularly designed to make it easier to create, deploy, and run applications by using containers. Its an amazing tool in itself. As far my views are concerned it's a bit like an virtual machine but with the distinction that it allows application(s) to use same Kernel as the system that they're running on. Further it's an open source and hence extending its exposure to the developers and system contributors all round the world.

What do you dislike?

Well as far as my views are concerned I haven't had and still don't have any reason or concerns about it that is counted as the reason for disliking it rather I'd say its an amazing container based tool with plenty of security features and tools available making it a worth having one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have it and you can do wonder with its amazing benefits and features provided along the way.

Well first I'd like to state that running applications in containers instead of virtual machines is gaining momentum in the IT world and the change that it bring about is exceptional.

Now, the flexibility offered by Docker containers means that engineers can focus on delivering a product to their customers. And yes we are doing the same and focusing extensively on our business models because we have the support of docker on the go.

Docker is and has been really helpful for us till now.

Cheers to the docker team.

Learning about Docker?

* We monitor all Docker reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.