DocStar ECM

DocStar ECM

Cloud-based enterprise content management software providing access to content anytime, anywhere, on any device.

Work for DocStar ECM?

Learning about DocStar ECM?

DocStar ECM Reviews

Ask DocStar ECM a Question
Showing 25 DocStar ECM reviews
DocStar ECM review by <span>John P.</span>
John P.

Implementation Has Been a Long Slow Slog

What do you like best?

What sold us was the large, prominent search bar that allows you to put in anything -- vendor ID, invoice, etc -- and get results.

What do you dislike?

Where to begin! First of all, put it this way: Epicor just charged us for an annual renewal and *we aren't even fully live yet.* Our experience has been a litany of promises not met by the support staff or the product itself. A few favorites:

- The security model is inflexible. In our setup we have basically branches and a main office. We need to have certain people at each branch to be able to submit/approve documents, and then others at the main office be able to approve/process. It's possible that a user might switch roles or offices (we've had promotions, etc.) This seemed completely mystifying to them. Whereas every other program I manage has a model based on roles and locations, and works fine, they said (and I'm quoting the e-mail still in my inbox): "This problem has had myself and my team spinning."

- Our $225/hr consultant, who's since left the company, told my developer that he started on the support team taking calls. I have nothing against growing internally with a company, but in this case he wasn't at the level to be to design complex workflows. Another consultant was helping us troubleshoot when suddenly performance took a huge nosedive -- turned out an index was missing on a database table. When my in-house developer (who has a masters in Com Sci) asked if there were any scripts to determine if the database was up to spec, and add any missing indexes, etc, the consultant "uhh no. That sounds like a good idea though." Multiple times my developer has had to stop Epicor employees from doing stupid things on their own product, or write views or otherwise show them better ways of doing things.

- They use "grids" to store metadata about a document, which is fine except we continually live in fear that all users have access to change all elements of a grid. We might have a payable item up and a change to metadata might then totally bork the workflow.

- There are many weird quirks about the UI. They stack navigation elements in the reverse order of what we'd expect, which makes the visual hierarchy odd. Example: the sidebar for a document says Line Items, Content Fields, History, Workflow. Workflow is what you're going to use most, so why is it at the bottom? Why are there multiple Save/Submit buttons, that seem to trigger each other? Also the sidebar has a narrow auto-hiding scroll bar that's very difficult to see. Without a clear affordance, my users don't even know the options are there.

- Multiple times support has said "oh, apply this hotfix". A hotfix being a special narrow update for a problem and not a full release. Doesn't inspire confidence in the development cycle.

- For connecting our ERP, Dynamics GP, to a Docstar lookup (i.e. "click here to load this document in Doctar") Cody provided... a single e-mail with 12 lines of code. That's it. No recommendations about how to implement it, where it goes, what other customers have done, etc. The AP functionality was billed as a key feature of Docstar.

- A lot of the capture functionality is in a systray application, and the Web app complains you need to install it. I get that can help with some scanners and such, but we use Citrix and thin clients. In my mind the product should be Web first, and helper apps should be optional add-ons. We are only using network scanners anyway, not USB.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask for references. Talk to real users. Don't settle for a slide deck, kick the tires yourself.

We are slowly coming around to our original vision of it being an AP file store. Once the XML import was setup correctly, that has been a helpful way for us to get documents in quickly. At this point I am not sure we trust it for our original use cases (contract storage and HR documentation support...)

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DocStar ECM
DocStar ECM review by <span>Jennifer F.</span>
Jennifer F.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Great document storage for telework teams

What do you like best?

It is easy to upload documents, and sort documents into categories. I also like that the search function searches within documents as well as titles, in cases of mislabels, etc. -- it's very easy to find what I'm looking for!

What do you dislike?

The web portal looks old and outdated, not as smooth or polished as website you're used to using on other platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have the people who will use the software the most be part of the setup/implementation team, so it meets all their needs when it goes live

It is a great solution for my team because we are all based in different locations. We want to be able to access stored files that will not change/be updated, and this meets that need perfectly. We can sort be file names and each of the uploaders/employees has their own folder for storing documents, but we can all view each others' documents to find what we're looking for.

What Enterprise Content Management (ECM) solution do you use?

DocStar ECM review by <span>Jeff B.</span>
Jeff B.

Couldn't Do Without It Now

What do you like best?

What I like best is that everyone was initially reluctant and two years later it would be difficult to go back to the way we used to do things. It means the impact has been positive not only from a production standpoint, but a cultural one as well.

What do you dislike?

That we couldn't implement things fast enough. Not a DocStar issue, but an internal one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't do distributed scanning. If you can have your scanning centralized it works far better.

Fewer lost documents. Faster document retrieval time since you don't have to visit the file cabinet. Lots of reclaimed space when we recycled our file cabinets.

DocStar ECM review by <span>Kristin Y.</span>
Kristin Y.

No More Searching through Mountains of Paper

What do you like best?

The software is very intuitive and easy to use. With just a little training I was up and running. Scanning and filing documents is quick and easy. No more searching in dark filing cabinets searching for that piece of paper that was misfiled. With docSTAR Eclipse. It's all instantly at your fingertips.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is that I didn't have this product sooner. I was a big proponent of our company transitioning the Human Resources Department to a paperless filing system and this software does not disappoint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

docSTAR Eclipse has been a game changer for our Human Resources Department! I couldn't dream of going back to piles of paper. I highly recommend this product to HR departments both large and small!

Previously an audit would require extensive time pulling individual files and documents, hoping that everything would be put back in the correct place. Now a few clicks of the mouse and documents are exported with ease with no risk of losing information or it falling into the wrong hands.

DocStar ECM review by <span>Gary L.</span>
Gary L.

Cloud Storage for Document Management

What do you like best?

The staff at docStar eclipse are very fast. We provided an enormous amount of files for scanning onto the cloud and it was done with high levels of accuracy and very quickly. They followed our instructions to the letter and got things done.

What do you dislike?

So far the interface in which you access the files are very old fashioned. You must follow each link into each individual folder to access certain things and you can not drag and drop items such as newer platforms in other systems. Such ways of working with a software is outdated and is not as user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest taking 30 minutes to familiarize yourself with the system. Play with how the folders work and how to move files around. The logic is simple but it needs a little getting used to.

This is helping with our lack of space in the office. By switching to an online system for document storage instead of having boxes and drawers full of files around the office, it has improved not only our over head costs but has improved efficiency. Staff can not access files more easily via the system instead of physically hunting for it.

DocStar ECM review by Administrator

Initially Difficult but Rewarding

What do you like best?

The ability to brainstorm needs with a rep. We have a pretty intricate business and opposed to hearing, no constantly, or itll cost x, theyre willing to help find a solution to help make the pairing a more efficient one

What do you dislike?

Customer service lack of knowledge. They more so gather information for other tiers than troubleshoot issues. Had to wait for them to chat with a higher tier tech for them to tell me what they had to do. Frustrating, but now we have a direct contact to a Sr tech.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will not solve every one of your invoice processing issues. Expect work around's and follow up. Unless you have direct point of contact

Invoice Automation

* We monitor all DocStar ECM reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.