DocStar ECM

DocStar ECM

Cloud-based enterprise content management software providing access to content anytime, anywhere, on any device.

Work for DocStar ECM?

Learning about DocStar ECM?

DocStar ECM Reviews

Ask DocStar ECM a Question
Showing 42 DocStar ECM reviews
DocStar ECM review by Amy W.
Amy W.

"Great program!"

What do you like best?

Probably the thing I like best about DocStar is that I can load lots of content into 1 database. I can easily navigate the "workflows" and "retrieve" tabs. And the search bar is a great tool and helps me out immensely when I need to find something quickly.

What do you dislike?

I would have to say, my main dislike is the fact that when I do scan a large stack of papers, DocStar takes quite a while to "think" before loading the content file and allowing me to "submit". Sometimes I wait 10-15 seconds just staring at the screen, waiting for the next screen to load. I have used this system every work day for 2 years now and each update we've had recently has made the system run slower on my end for scanning.

Benefits to this program include being able to scan and organize a large amount of information and retrieve information easily for future use. It makes it so much easier for other DocStar users to access the information I have scanned properly. We can easily organize insurance documents into designated categories, allowing the pages to be more easily found that way.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DocStar ECM
DocStar ECM review by John P.
John P.

"Implementation Has Been a Long Slow Slog"

What do you like best?

What sold us was the large, prominent search bar that allows you to put in anything -- vendor ID, invoice, etc -- and get results.

What do you dislike?

Where to begin! First of all, put it this way: Epicor just charged us for an annual renewal and *we aren't even fully live yet.* Our experience has been a litany of promises not met by the support staff or the product itself. A few favorites:

- The security model is inflexible. In our setup we have basically branches and a main office. We need to have certain people at each branch to be able to submit/approve documents, and then others at the main office be able to approve/process. It's possible that a user might switch roles or offices (we've had promotions, etc.) This seemed completely mystifying to them. Whereas every other program I manage has a model based on roles and locations, and works fine, they said (and I'm quoting the e-mail still in my inbox): "This problem has had myself and my team spinning."

- Our $225/hr consultant, who's since left the company, told my developer that he started on the support team taking calls. I have nothing against growing internally with a company, but in this case he wasn't at the level to be to design complex workflows. Another consultant was helping us troubleshoot when suddenly performance took a huge nosedive -- turned out an index was missing on a database table. When my in-house developer (who has a masters in Com Sci) asked if there were any scripts to determine if the database was up to spec, and add any missing indexes, etc, the consultant "uhh no. That sounds like a good idea though." Multiple times my developer has had to stop Epicor employees from doing stupid things on their own product, or write views or otherwise show them better ways of doing things.

- They use "grids" to store metadata about a document, which is fine except we continually live in fear that all users have access to change all elements of a grid. We might have a payable item up and a change to metadata might then totally bork the workflow.

- There are many weird quirks about the UI. They stack navigation elements in the reverse order of what we'd expect, which makes the visual hierarchy odd. Example: the sidebar for a document says Line Items, Content Fields, History, Workflow. Workflow is what you're going to use most, so why is it at the bottom? Why are there multiple Save/Submit buttons, that seem to trigger each other? Also the sidebar has a narrow auto-hiding scroll bar that's very difficult to see. Without a clear affordance, my users don't even know the options are there.

- Multiple times support has said "oh, apply this hotfix". A hotfix being a special narrow update for a problem and not a full release. Doesn't inspire confidence in the development cycle.

- For connecting our ERP, Dynamics GP, to a Docstar lookup (i.e. "click here to load this document in Doctar") Cody provided... a single e-mail with 12 lines of code. That's it. No recommendations about how to implement it, where it goes, what other customers have done, etc. The AP functionality was billed as a key feature of Docstar.

- A lot of the capture functionality is in a systray application, and the Web app complains you need to install it. I get that can help with some scanners and such, but we use Citrix and thin clients. In my mind the product should be Web first, and helper apps should be optional add-ons. We are only using network scanners anyway, not USB.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask for references. Talk to real users. Don't settle for a slide deck, kick the tires yourself.

We are slowly coming around to our original vision of it being an AP file store. Once the XML import was setup correctly, that has been a helpful way for us to get documents in quickly. At this point I am not sure we trust it for our original use cases (contract storage and HR documentation support...)

What Enterprise Content Management (ECM) solution do you use?

DocStar ECM review by Jennifer F.
Jennifer F.

"Great document storage for telework teams"

What do you like best?

It is easy to upload documents, and sort documents into categories. I also like that the search function searches within documents as well as titles, in cases of mislabels, etc. -- it's very easy to find what I'm looking for!

What do you dislike?

The web portal looks old and outdated, not as smooth or polished as website you're used to using on other platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have the people who will use the software the most be part of the setup/implementation team, so it meets all their needs when it goes live

It is a great solution for my team because we are all based in different locations. We want to be able to access stored files that will not change/be updated, and this meets that need perfectly. We can sort be file names and each of the uploaders/employees has their own folder for storing documents, but we can all view each others' documents to find what we're looking for.

DocStar ECM review by Administrator

"Product is good but is missing certain features that a larger organization would require"

What do you like best?

Speed of retrieving documents is quick and the preview pane seems to work well. Workflows are great. Forms look promising.

What do you dislike?

Absolutely dislike the agent - it's confusing with the 2 separate login tabs for Login and Configure service. Many of the options do not make sense. We use it mainly for batch import. I just think you need to put a better UI designer on it, the utility was thrown together in .NET.

Admin tab for admins - this needs a lot of work. Users are difficult to manage with many users and a simple combo box to pick and search. Need the ability to assign security classes from the user management screen. Need options for dealing with passwords, e.g. the ability to force password change on reset, force user to change password after a set number of days, etc. Need additional fields to track more info on the user - maybe a notes field would suffice or the ability to create custom fields. This will help with auditing users.

Document retention

DocStar ECM review by Jeff B.
Jeff B.

"Couldn't Do Without It Now"

What do you like best?

What I like best is that everyone was initially reluctant and two years later it would be difficult to go back to the way we used to do things. It means the impact has been positive not only from a production standpoint, but a cultural one as well.

What do you dislike?

That we couldn't implement things fast enough. Not a DocStar issue, but an internal one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't do distributed scanning. If you can have your scanning centralized it works far better.

Fewer lost documents. Faster document retrieval time since you don't have to visit the file cabinet. Lots of reclaimed space when we recycled our file cabinets.

DocStar ECM review by Kristin Y.
Kristin Y.

"No More Searching through Mountains of Paper"

What do you like best?

The software is very intuitive and easy to use. With just a little training I was up and running. Scanning and filing documents is quick and easy. No more searching in dark filing cabinets searching for that piece of paper that was misfiled. With docSTAR Eclipse. It's all instantly at your fingertips.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is that I didn't have this product sooner. I was a big proponent of our company transitioning the Human Resources Department to a paperless filing system and this software does not disappoint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

docSTAR Eclipse has been a game changer for our Human Resources Department! I couldn't dream of going back to piles of paper. I highly recommend this product to HR departments both large and small!

Previously an audit would require extensive time pulling individual files and documents, hoping that everything would be put back in the correct place. Now a few clicks of the mouse and documents are exported with ease with no risk of losing information or it falling into the wrong hands.

DocStar ECM review by Ray M.
Ray M.

"DocStar ECM - A Solution to Small and Large Business Workflow Needs"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about the DocStar ECM system is that it combines powerful workflow capabilities with the ability to accurately and securely store documents for long and short term retention requirements.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to find a piece of the software that I dislike, but if I had to nitpick I would say my least favorite piece is the OCR portion. It is however growing to become more and more accurate over time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendation would be to understand what the licensing includes so that you can be sure you obtain all necessary pieces to fit your business needs.

I am solving business problems as small as fulfilling an electronic filing cabinet, to rerouting physical workflows for enterprise businesses to save time and money.

DocStar ECM review by Gary L.
Gary L.

"Cloud Storage for Document Management"

What do you like best?

The staff at docStar eclipse are very fast. We provided an enormous amount of files for scanning onto the cloud and it was done with high levels of accuracy and very quickly. They followed our instructions to the letter and got things done.

What do you dislike?

So far the interface in which you access the files are very old fashioned. You must follow each link into each individual folder to access certain things and you can not drag and drop items such as newer platforms in other systems. Such ways of working with a software is outdated and is not as user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest taking 30 minutes to familiarize yourself with the system. Play with how the folders work and how to move files around. The logic is simple but it needs a little getting used to.

This is helping with our lack of space in the office. By switching to an online system for document storage instead of having boxes and drawers full of files around the office, it has improved not only our over head costs but has improved efficiency. Staff can not access files more easily via the system instead of physically hunting for it.

DocStar ECM review by Administrator

"Initially Difficult but Rewarding"

What do you like best?

The ability to brainstorm needs with a rep. We have a pretty intricate business and opposed to hearing, no constantly, or itll cost x, theyre willing to help find a solution to help make the pairing a more efficient one

What do you dislike?

Customer service lack of knowledge. They more so gather information for other tiers than troubleshoot issues. Had to wait for them to chat with a higher tier tech for them to tell me what they had to do. Frustrating, but now we have a direct contact to a Sr tech.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will not solve every one of your invoice processing issues. Expect work around's and follow up. Unless you have direct point of contact

Invoice Automation

"Disappointing "

What do you like best?

I like the ease of uploading files to DocStar.

What do you dislike?

DocStar isn't intuitive to use. When there is an issue with using the platform, it is easier to create a work around than to get the help desk or project manager involved to get it fixed. Normally, a bug causes great delay in our productivity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The updates cause more issues for our organization than they are worth. We are not sure of the updates because they are not listed but each update causes a new bug that takes several days and sometimes weeks to fix.

DocStar has allowed us to create a paperless workflow system that our organization is now used to using.

DocStar ECM review by Kathleen F.
Kathleen F.

"DocStar ECM and never look back"

What do you like best?

The ease of use for our field staff to review and approve invoices from anywhere with a network connection.

The customer service. They are willing to go above and beyond to get what you need done or corrected.

What do you dislike?

I did not find this product 3 years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

See the demo, see the possibilities and plan your installation.

Our organization has a complicated Approval Tree, Multiple vendors working on different projects and with different Mangers. Invoices did not always go to the correct approver. We needed a solution to move invoices between approvers and not lose precious time in processing an invoice. Docstar ECM made that happen

DocStar ECM review by kori F.
kori F.

"Love it!"

What do you like best?

The easy way to find mostly anything when I used the search bar. So very helpful!!

What do you dislike?

It does not grab documents that are printed in landscape when you use the search bar!

We have been able to utilize it a lot more and we no longer scan in each document one at a time, we can do hundreds of pages at once!

DocStar ECM review by User

"Good for Document Storage, Could Be Better in Other Areas"

What do you like best?

Being able to store documents, and then easily finding what I am looking for.

What do you dislike?

The uploading process could be better, there is not batch uploading feature to queue multiple documents at one time for uploading. Also, the workflow processing feature is not very intuitive and often times updates to the system changes things without you knowing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure the scope is thoroughly reviewed.

We are that much closer to being paperless after we started using DocStar. Non-confidential documents are easily shared and edited from one place, which is nice.

DocStar ECM review by Laurie C.
Laurie C.

"2 Years and going strong!"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and responsiveness of the IT team when there are issues.

What do you dislike?

We had some struggles with integrating to our internal requirements at first, but once we overcame that hurdle things now run smooth

Less paper, quicker filing, ease of document retreival

DocStar ECM review by Kevin M.
Kevin M.

"CEO McDonalds Design and Build inc. "

What do you like best?

the ability to have files available to me electronically

What do you dislike?

some of the cumbersome ways it is accessed

Recommendations to others considering the product

the system is very good we are a smaller company and sometimes I wonder if we are not over our heads it seams we are not keeping only the electronic records we have all the paper ones also so don't really know what we have accomplished.

we need to utilize the system better then we do. accessibility and transferability is a issue

DocStar ECM review by Administrator

"Training and migration support were lacking. Product, overall, seems robust."

What do you like best?

Search features, metadata collection and document previewing.

What do you dislike?

The fact that training is entirely by video/faq/group webcast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software seems decent and very capable. In the northeast area of the US, after initial sale by the reseller, support and training were lacking. Several emails to the four members of the reseller with whom we had numerous contacts prior to the sale went entirely unanswered and unaddressed after the sale. DocStar is now our direct contact for support, rather than their reseller, so perhaps the implementation and training portion of the service has been improved for future clients.

We were attempting to move towards having the ECM serve as our system of record for various documents.

DocStar ECM review by Administrator

"Invoice Approval and Routing a breeze"

What do you like best?

We have had great success in setting up a complicated workflow for approval of invoices. Depending upon a multitude of criteria, the invoice gets routed to the correct person, obtains required number of approvals and is automatically routed for payment. Rejected invoices are notated as to the rejection reason and routed for resolution.

What do you dislike?

at times the interface behaves funky. Closing the browser and restarting a session will fix.

Workflow/Routing of documents is easy.

DocStar ECM review by Administrator

"A great thing is greater"

What do you like best?

The search ability available allows documents to be found with amazing efficiency; even when someone has entered a client number wrong. There are many fields to use.

What do you dislike?

The mail utility is not as good as the previous version of Docstar

We archive hundreds of documents each day, and not everyone employs consistent naming conventions. I can find things that people think are lost, and I look like a wizard!

"Goodbye Paper"

What do you like best?

The software is very easy to use. With just a little training we were up and running. Scanning and filing is quick and everything is right at your fingertips.

What do you dislike?

I'm picky about searching for documents and dislike that you have to input an item exactly how it would be indexed. Example: if you need a document from 4/4/2018, you cannot find it if you type in 4/04/2018. I wish the search feature would pull similar and suggested docs.

All of our filing cabinets are gone! No one has to sift through hundreds of papers to find the one they're looking for. It's a great time saver.

DocStar ECM review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"DocStar"

What do you like best?

DocStar looks like it has the capability to do a lot.

What do you dislike?

The application is cumbersome to use and the security model is awful.

We are just trying to archive and find documents. The benefit of the system has not been realized due to poor setup in the beginning, but given the way the system is designed and the support we have gotten, that does not surprise me.

DocStar ECM review by Jennifer N.
Jennifer N.

"Filling simplified"

What do you like best?

Easy filing and look up. Once I file a document I'm able to look it up a few moments later with simple keywords

What do you dislike?

Crashes. Unfortunately when trying to save as a PDF it will go through periods of time where it will crash. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's repeatedly.

Quick easy paperless filing

DocStar ECM review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Workflow efficiency"

What do you like best?

Ease of configuration and use. The user interface is clean

What do you dislike?

Have not identified anything that I dislike thus far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

So far this product has been very easy to setup and configure. It should prove to create efficiency in a very manual process A/P is doing today.

Workflow for approval, image storage, and invoice payment. Efficiency over a manual process is greatly improved

DocStar ECM review by User in Plastics
User in Plastics

"Useful and stable but slow"

What do you like best?

Wealth of parameters to help wit document workflows.

What do you dislike?

The speed of the system can be bogged down by bigger searches. The user interface could also use some updating.

The business is able to collect and correlate large numbers of documents from multple sites and teams to a easily searched window.

DocStar ECM review by Jim S.
Jim S.

"Jim's review"

What do you like best?

We need a format like this to be able to look up documents for future use.

What do you dislike?

While looking up certain types of files, it is a little difficult to navigate around in Docstar. I should be able to find things faster.

It's a backup for all of our documents.

DocStar ECM review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Solid System"

What do you like best?

DocStar has brought stability and capability to or digital imaging initiatives. Past products where plagued with performance and stability issues and DocStar delivered on remediation of that issue.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the throughput of multiple scans can be heavy on resources.

Elimination of unnecessary records that where taking up valuable space.

DocStar ECM review by Executive Sponsor in Restaurants
Executive Sponsor in Restaurants

"Good product for the money"

What do you like best?

Ability to search file names and meta data very easily.

What do you dislike?

I think the work flow programming is clunky. A more intuitive approach should be developed.

Filing and sharing of almost all documents for the company. The benefits are that it is much easier to find documents now.

DocStar ECM review by Hilary M.
Hilary M.

"Pleased with first paperless experience"

What do you like best?

The customer service is top notch. The system is user friendly for anyone with some computer experience.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the system can be slow, but rarely. Sometimes updates take a little getting used to, but that's to be expected.

We have gone paperless for the first time

DocStar ECM review by Steven V.
Steven V.

"More than just a scan and save application"

What do you like best?

Well laid out. Clean workflows allowed us to get things setup quickly.

What do you dislike?

Dynamics GP Integration could be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a good partner that really understands the product!

We were able to reduce AP paper usage by 80%.

DocStar ECM review by Alicia S.
Alicia S.

"Docstar"

What do you like best?

The ability to search for information quickly.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that you can not change a file name when someone changes their name.

Ease of multiple employees in HR to search for specific documents quickly

"Clunky"

What do you like best?

It saves everything, and I can scan directly into the application,

What do you dislike?

Hard to find documents. Tagging with keywords is not intuitive, so it does not get used and is not helpful.

Paperless file storage.

DocStar ECM review by User in Aviation & Aerospace
User in Aviation & Aerospace

"Never had a problem with Docstar.. Been using them for 15+ years"

What do you like best?

the ability to sort them by the date scanned, the ability to know that it is secure and have never lost any information

What do you dislike?

I wish that it would work with multi use printers

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is Great for all of your customers needs. It will keep your company's information secure. You can have multiple users. You can have unlimited storage.

being able to look at my customers history for 15+ years

DocStar ECM review by Administrator

"DocStar has helped our company manage and index large volumes of documents more efficiently."

What do you like best?

The customization allows for the processing of a variety of workflows.

What do you dislike?

The limitations hold back what could be a much more powerful tool if some aspects were updated. Search features and OCR are some of the limitations that come to mind.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize learning tools and dedicate time to understand product.

Managing documents across departments has been something we have gained efficiency in using DocStar.

"DocStar"

What do you like best?

DocStar has been very beneficial for our company invoice process

What do you dislike?

A little clunky to get data into our ERP system

Invoice document approval process

DocStar ECM review by Administrator

"Threw away the file cabinets"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that everyone in our company can access filed documents right from their desktop and there customer support is awesome!

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything to dislike about this product

No longer have mounds of paper that has to be filed, we were able to open our office more once we had no need for multiple filing cabinets

DocStar ECM review by Jessica M. G.
Jessica M. G.

"Disappointing "

What do you like best?

You can store documents in sub folders and the search function is good.

What do you dislike?

The inability to drag and drop files into or out of the program is literally infuriating. It takes an obscene amount of time to import documents.

Keeping client files organized.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

ability to be paperless , easy access to information.

What do you dislike?

changes from old system to the cloud was difficult to get use to new system, but once learn, it was easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

make the merging of documents easier

paper clutter, easy access to files to email customers. easy access to information while customers are on the phone

DocStar ECM review by Julian G.
Julian G.

"It was a great experience"

What do you like best?

The process is automated for our workers.

What do you dislike?

sometimes we have issues with it not working properly

it automates

DocStar ECM review by Brandon S.
Brandon S.

"DocStar is a good product"

What do you like best?

The integration with Microsoft Dynamics

What do you dislike?

Super admin is only users to update datalinks

Accounts payable workflow

DocStar ECM review by User in Food Production
User in Food Production

"Very User friendly and great way to keep organized"

What do you like best?

Being able to use less paper and better file all documents needed for auditing purposes

What do you dislike?

Having to Name every line of my document it's time consuming

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good product for going paperless

We can keep on file for years and not have to keep up with actual paperwork at the office

"Minimal Experience"

What do you like best?

I have not had extensive time in DocStar but so far it has worked well for my needs.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to open certain documents which it seems I can not

My use has been primarily to review past work.

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

Everything is so easy to use and is very user friend.

What do you dislike?

nothing - it is all easy to use and is very user friendly

keeping the team on the same page at all times

DocStar ECM review by Administrator

"The Docstar ECM is a great product. Easy to use."

What do you like best?

User friendly and most of all the ability to store documents secure.

What do you dislike?

Takes a while when searching to find the right document.

Managing our documents that have the peace of mind of security.

Learn more about DocStar ECM

DocStar ECM Videos

Learning about DocStar ECM?

* We monitor all DocStar ECM reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.