Dr. Explain

Dr.Explain is a help authoring software to create help files, documentation and on-line manuals in CHM, PDF, RTF & HTML formats

Work for Dr. Explain?

Learning about Dr. Explain?

Dr. Explain Reviews

Ask Dr. Explain a Question
Showing 21 Dr. Explain reviews
Dr. Explain review by <span>André M.</span>
André M.

"Logiciel de documentation idéal."

What do you like best?

L'utilisation globale est simple.

L'exportation sous différents formats est idéale avec l'envoi en FTP directement.

La gestion du sommaire et du contenu des sujets est facile d'accès et reste très lisible.

La génération du menu automatique et de l'index est automatique.

La possibilité de mettre un statut sur chaque page afin d'avoir un meilleur suivi tout au long du process de création.

What do you dislike?

La capture automatique de page web n'est pas toujours idéale, les zones ne sont pas toujours bien définies ou difficilement selectionnables.

La gestion des styles de textes et de mise en forme qui pourrait être améliorée.

Une bibliothèque partagée des styles de légende à importer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Licence a étudier s'il y a un travail d'équipe car l'outil permet de gérer la base à plusieurs. La prise en main sera facile.

La gestion d'une documentation et surtout sa mise à jour est complexe car notre logiciel évolue continuellement. La mise de notre logiciel web étant régulière, cet outil nous permet une réelle réactivité en publiant directement les mises à jour.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Dr. Explain
Dr. Explain review by <span>Philippe S.</span>
Philippe S.

"This was like the "Eureka" moment"

What do you like best?

The screen capture feature that do all the job for me (automatic capture and analysis of the application controls, insertion into the doc, insertion of the annotations, auto TOC,...). I love it!

What do you dislike?

The collaboration feature that needs you to have Dr Explain installed on your workstation to use it. I would praise a full web application to generate help the same way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really worth a try! Simple and easy (and I am not a tech guy)!

I work at a medium non profit organization of the social sector. My main job is financial but I was invited to develop an integrated software application to help us manager more effectively our grants and our working force. When the development was finished, I needed to provide our users with documentation and help. I started taking screenshots of the application, copying and pasting them into a word document, writing the contents of the help, rearranging the TOC,... All this manually! The final help product was delivered on PDF format and send to our users by email. As the application was continuously updated, I needed to start all the process each month, over and over again. Finally, this started to keep away from my financial job.

I discovered Dr Explain two years ago and I can tell this was like the "Eureka" moment (you know,Einstein...). No more screenshots, no more copy-paste, no more word document to rearrange, no more manual email to send. Updating the documentation is now a breeze. Especially the screen capture feature that do all the job for you (automatic capture and analysis of the application controls, insertion into the doc). I love it! I decided to use the publishing feature of Dr Explain instead of sending emails.... I had I have now returned to my financial job, but I still maintain the help docs myself with the help of Dr Explain. So, thank you guys for your services !

Phil

What Help Authoring Tool (HAT) solution do you use?

Dr. Explain review by <span>Matthew C.</span>
Matthew C.

"Very Intuitive Design"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to link tabs, attach images, and format the text for easy access and comprehension. I was able to edit the file I received from a coworker immediately, without having to go through extensive training. In other words, the controls were very intuitive to me. The status feature was also instrumental in guiding my work as opposed to having the guy who used the system before tell me every little section that needs work. Considering how many tabs we have already, this was a huge time saver for us!

What do you dislike?

I often have issues with it freezing occasionally and then being unable to close the program without relying on the task manager. I save frequently though, so this is not a big problem for me. I had an issue contacting customer support when trying to move the computer that had access to the project from one computer to another, but everything went without a hitch after that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to look at the HTML preview before uploading to see what it will look like to the consumer/help recipient.

The Help center that we have created is allowing people to learn how to use our system at their own pace as opposed to always needing to rely on over-the-phone assistance. It must have saved us hours of communication time over the years. It is very helpful for us to be able to import an iteration of the help files, and then edit them for later improvements as our products become more advanced.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Flavio N.</span>
Flavio N.

"We found the solution to the problem"

What do you like best?

The easy to use and WYSIWYG interface of the platform

The output format covers all what we need

Automatical creation of TOC

Automatic creation of "search"

Screen capture

Look and feel of the target document totally configurable

... and much more.....

What do you dislike?

Translation are not easy to handle(but soon they will be), because in the European market there is the need to translate portals at least in 6 languages, but you might arrrive up to 27.

This is, from my point of view, the unique point I dislike

We needed to create help on line for portals and Client software under .NET environment, and we solved the problem usign a single software

Dr. Explain review by <span>Ali S.</span>
Ali S.

"Doctor Explain - the easiest tool to create your online documentation"

What do you like best?

I cherish that it is so natural to interface tab, hook up pictures, and arrangement the content for simple entry and perception. We could get a new record I got from the collaborator instantly, without going through wide preparing. At the conclusion during, the controls were extremely instinctive in my experience. The particular status highlight was additionally instrumental in controlling my work as opposed to getting the person who utilized the framework before disclose to me each and every segment that necessities work. Considering what number of tabs we have as of now, this was a gigantic help for us!

What do you dislike?

I regularly have issues with it solidifying at times and afterward being not able close the program without based on the errand chief. I spare as often as possible however, so this isn't a major issue for me. I had an issue reaching client bolster when endeavoring to move the PC that approached the task starting with one PC then onto the next, however everything abandoned a hitch after that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Help focus that we have made is enabling individuals to figure out how to utilize our framework at their own pace rather than continually expecting to rely on finished the-telephone help. It more likely than not spared us hours of correspondence time throughout the years. It is extremely useful for us to have the capacity to import an emphasis of the assistance documents, and after that alter them for later upgrades as our items turn out to be further developed.

Make sure to take a gander at the HTML review before transferring to perceive what it will look like to the customer/help beneficiary.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Regina Celia E.</span>
Regina Celia E.

"Uso da ferramenta para documentar softwares e fiquei admirada com a formatação final em HTML"

What do you like best?

Simplicidade ao documentar, aparência profissional do documento final gerado e as diversos formatos que podem ser exportados como em html, pdf ou word.

What do you dislike?

Todas as funcionalidades avaliadas por mim foram satisfeitas, apenas sugiro uma opção de poder incluir o tópico seguinte na mesma página ou não e também poder criar links em partes da figura, pois uso muito mapeamento de processos e gostaria de criar um link para o processo, Atualmente, para fazer isso, teria que desagrupar a imagem.

Elaborando manual de instalação e configuração de um Sistema de Gestão Patrimonial.

Tive como benefício a agilidade pois não preciso me preocupar com a formatação do documento e também com a organização dos tópicos.

Dr. Explain review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Information Technology and Services
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Information Technology and Services

"Dr.Explain - the easiest tool to create your online documentation"

What do you like best?

Setting up a complex help project is easy. Creating topics, restructuring, editing, creating links and capturing application screens is very intuitive and versatile. Dr.Explain keeps track of the structure and generates either a compiled help file, a standalone HTML-website or even an RTF or PDF document. When generating HTML Dr.Explain takes care of navigation and even includes a full-text search through your topics.

What do you dislike?

Dr.Explain is versatile, but not perfect yet. Two additional features would make it more complete. The first is translation. For our project we need a help file in different languages. The only way to accomplish this now is to copy the entire project and translate your topics in the other project. It would be nice to be able to specify in which languages your help should be available and be able to create all these in the same project. The second is customization of the look-and-feel. Dr.Explain comes with a predefined set of styles that cannot be modified. Additional CSS can be created, but since there is no documentation on which CSS is used in the default styles, customization is cumbersome.

Create a help file and a computer based training for our software product

Dr. Explain review by <span>Juanita G.</span>
Juanita G.

"Dr Explain tool"

What do you like best?

All of us enjoy that it is so natural to interface tabs, link pictures, and arrangement the info for simple access and perception. I really could change the document We acquired from a collaborator instantly, without heading through wide planning. At the finish during, the controls were extremely instinctive in my experience. The particular standing highlight was additionally instrumental in controlling my work rather than getting the person who utilized the framework before reveal to me each and every section that necessities work. Considering what quantity of tabs we have by today, this was a gigantic help for us!

What do you dislike?

All of us regularly have problems with it solidifying occasionally and afterward becoming not able near to this program without dependent on the charge chief. I extra as often as possible nonetheless, so this isn't a serious problem for me personally. I had a problem reaching client strengthen when endeavoring to maneuver the PC that approached the job beginning with one PERSONAL COMPUTER then onto the next, however everything abandoned a problem after that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to take a look at the CODE review before moving to perceive what it may be like to the customer/help named beneficiary.

The assistance focus that all of us have made will be enabling visitors to determine out how in order to employ our platform at their very own speed as opposed to continually anticipating to count on completed the-telephone help. This more likely compared to not spared all of us hours of communication time throughout the particular years. It will be extremely useful with regard to us to own the capacity to be able to import an concentrate from the counsel documents, after that change them for later on upgrades as our items change out to be further developed.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Sofia A.</span>
Sofia A.

"Dr. Explain is a great software"

What do you like best?

I enjoy that it is so natural to interface tabs, connect pictures, and arrangement the content for simple access and perception. I can obtain the document I got from a collaborator instantly, without going through broad preparing. At the end of the day, the controls were extremely instinctive to me. The status highlight was additionally instrumental in controlling my work instead of having the person who utilized the framework before disclose to me each and every segment that necessities work. Considering what number of tabs we have as of now, this was a gigantic help for us!

What do you dislike?

I regularly have issues with it not being able close the program without depending on the charge chief. I save as often as possible however, so this isn't a big issue for me. I had an issue reaching client bolster when trying to move the PC that approached the task starting with one PC then onto the next, however everything abandoned a problem after that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Help focus that we have made is enabling individuals to figure out how to utilize our framework at their own pace rather than continually expecting to depend on finished the-telephone help. It more likely than not spared us hours of correspondence time throughout the years. It is extremely useful for us to have the capacity to import an emphasis of the assistance documents, and after that alter them for later upgrades as our items turn out to be further developed.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Lee M.</span>
Lee M.

"Ideal for Product Documentation "

What do you like best?

Once you start using Dr Explain you'll find the software is very intuitive. With minimal training you can start creating your own product documentation in no time at all with the added benefit of the online help that answers pretty much all your questions.

What do you dislike?

I'd prefer the software to be multi platform (Windows and Mac OS) to allow maximum flexibility when working between the two. Having to remote into a windows laptop for my iMac is not an ideal solution.

CHM Manuals are a big advantage, and there are very few pieces of software that allow the creation of word, pdf, html and chm documents so easily without the need to convert.

Dr. Explain review by User

"Easy to use professional documentation tool"

What do you like best?

The multi function export tool and its ease of use. Being able to drag and drop and move the index around is so easy. Moving from a main category to a subheading and vice versa with ease. Being able to annotate with a lot of available options is something that i am just enjoying.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet! As i am not a designer or marketeer, i am not so sure on how i should layout my pages, would be good to have some sort of style sheets or visual layouts where i could choose what would be best for my publication.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I had no authoring or documentation compiling knowledge at all and i didnt need it either for this product. It just took a few days for me to get my head around the menu and i was good to go. It was so easy that i was looking for work to compile just so that i could us Dr Explain.

A great way of sharing how to's for all our customers. We have a range of products on our store that we are continuously updating the Dr Explain software is perfect for updating our on-line catalogue at the push of a button.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Rachael D.</span>
Rachael D.

"Perfect for online documentation"

What do you like best?

Easy to use! Most users can start using the software without any guidance or tuition. For our business it's been invaluable in providing high quality information to our customer base.

What do you dislike?

The UI could do with a refresh - but it works well and does what it needs to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an ideal documentation package to consider.

So many problems solved - we needed an online documentation system to share our technical guides. Dr Explain, along with their Tiwri site, has provided the ideal platform to do this.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Fernando R.</span>
Fernando R.

"Excelent Tool to Publish Help and Documents"

What do you like best?

I really like the interface because it's easy and fast to create help and documentation. In the same edition you can export to HTML and PDF without extra Job, and this is to me fantastic.

What do you dislike?

I think it's a bit heavy to edit when the document has a lot of pictures.

I had a problem to make standard documents for PDF and HTML and it solve to me.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Tsu-Wei H.</span>
Tsu-Wei H.

"The Great Solution for build up a technique manual quickly."

What do you like best?

Very easy to use even for non-English writers. I like the "built-in screenshot capturing tool" best. It's a time saving feature when building up a software manual.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, it's not so stable. Especially when I import a huge word file. But it's getting better. The vendor keep fixing problems.

We need an effective way to write documents with a nice-looking format. Arrange the position of picture is truly a time cost work. Dr. Explain help us to quickly revise the manual when our new version software is released.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Victor W.</span>
Victor W.

"My Help-Authoring Tool of Choice"

What do you like best?

Help file production is very fast and high quality. Well-chosen default settings mean that I can get a technical document produced quickly, yet it permits deep access for customizations of document appearance, styles, etc.

One of the exciting aspects of Dr.Explain for me is that it is NOT AT ALL limited to creating Help files, but rather it is generalized toward the tasks that are a part of thoroughly and accurately conveying just about any technical ideas. The team that created this software focused on ease of use in this aspect: taking graphic images and adding call-outs to them, and making it very easy and fast to explain each call out. Any technical document requiring pictures, diagrams, and detailed explanation of parts of any graphic image [especially screen shots]) is made super-easy to create. When all the ideas are in place and in final form, just press a button to export the whole document to your desired format (including uploading to your web server).

Imagine you are asked to create a User Guide for a new product, that takes some understanding to use correctly. Anything from a fancy blender to an automobile, and even extensive mechanic service manuals. In my opinion, Dr.Explain is the perfect tool for such things.

Now, last, but far from the least, the most streamlined aspect about creating documentation with Dr.Explain is the task of documenting SOFTWARE! This is one of many places that Dr.Explain excels: it has nicely integrated features that let you grab screenshots of software, while automatically (and intelligently) adding the needed call-outs. It works SO WELL because it actually directly examines the user interface components of the running software itself. This advantage permits Dr.Explain to do 90% of the work for you.

At this point, I'm a very happy Dr.Explain user, and I'm not even looking or thinking that I will ever need any other technical documentation tool.

What do you dislike?

As a programmer myself, I would really love to be able to directly interact with the XML file that Dr.Explain packages its projects in. However, note carefully, that this NOT because of any shortcomings of Dr.Explain, but because I would like to, for instance, build a tool that helps in the task of producing a thorough professional-quality index for large documents. The tools for creating an index in Dr.Explain are GREAT -- which is why I would even consider spending time automating part of the process. In producing ANY high-quality index, however, there is a great deal of thought and human intelligence required. This will always be the case, regardless of automation. However, being an expert index-creator myself, I can envision add-on products that might assist with the process (e.g. plug-ins, or perhaps an API if they don't already have one) that permits external (or add-on) software tools to work with Dr.Explain document contents. I realize I'm pushing the Dr.Explain vision possibly farther than they have made plans for (yet), but I secretly hope that we might work together on such things in the future. (See my article on How to Create an Index: http://crystal-clear-research.com/drexplain_experience/how_to_create_an_index.htm .)

I write firmware for a firm that produces high-end 3rd-party products for the motorcycle racing industry (and I suspect we will be expanding into the car racing industry in the not-too-distant future). Some of these products are very technical in nature, and require in-depth knowledge to use them correctly. Simultaneously, we want to provide our end users with all 3 of printed and/or printable, tree-structured HTML help files, as well as on-line versions of the same thorough documentation. Dr.Explain is perfect for our needs.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Mary B.</span>
Mary B.

"Great, Intuitive Software - Does What's Expected"

What do you like best?

Dr. Explain is a great, very intuitive software. It is easy to pick up how to use, configures layouts and gives a responsive design, so there is a very professional output, with little effort for the writer/designer.

The Dr. Explain's "call-out" feature is great for user manuals describing specific features of hardware, SaaS, interfaces...etc. and the software does most of the heavy-lifting with a user-friendly layout.

I also had excellent experiences with all of Dr. Explain's customer support to help troubleshoot any issues, as well as help me accomplish any layout/design of my online help and user manuals that was not intuitive/provided out-of-the-box.

What do you dislike?

Being the only technical writer at the company, it was not an issue that Dr. Explain was an install-on-one-desktop software. The files were a little cumbersome, and I had to rely heavily on development resources to publish these files onto the company's online help system (linked up to their SaaS platform).

As with any other installed software, the files had to remain extremely organized, from saved versions, to passing along to developers, and updating other versions. Also, like with any other installed software, there were some difficulties with transferring the files from my machine to another employee's when I left that company.

When working with a team of writers to update the same content, or for the sake of easier file management, I prefer a cloud-based content management system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I did a lot of research on online help software before recommending Dr. Explain to my company and I definitely think that Dr. Explain is top notch, easy-to-use online-help software that provides extremely professional output with very little effort.

That said, I think prospects should consider their company's needs. This software worked very well for me in the setting of a very small company, and as the company's only writer. I was the only one who needed to update content or had ownership over managing the files. If there are additional writers responsible for the content, I would recommend considering a cloud-based application that can be accessed and updated in real-time by all contributors.

I was tasked with implementing an online help system for a company, which was very quickly created and integrated by developers into the company's SaaS platform.

Additionally, with Dr. Explain's easy and pre-formatted export feature, I was able to provide PDF-ed content to prospects, internal staff, and end-users who wanted more comprehensive documentation around a feature.

Dr. Explain review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Very flexible tool for software documentation"

What do you like best?

The fact that the software allows for the generation of multiple outputs, and the power of the web based collaboration.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike much! Have an ability to review/comment would be great - and would allow us to remove MS Word from some of the work flow.

Able to quickly update software documentation, and generate PDF, and CHM files.

Dr. Explain review by <span>CHIH-WEI  C.</span>
CHIH-WEI C.

"Very Helpful for programmer to create software handbook"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and lots example to help me to use. Well document is also great.

What do you dislike?

No support Chinese language for Application language.

Support multiple exporting common file format. All I need is to just write a document.

Dr. Explain review by Administrator

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

I like how easy and simple the product is to use.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike. Some more control over how to display the editor would be nice, but that's a nitpick.

I am able to quickly turn my user manual into a series of pages I can use as a help section on my site.

Dr. Explain review by User in Internet

"a good helper"

What do you like best?

Dr.Explain helps me authorize software to create files like documentation and online manuals

What do you dislike?

difficulty exporting not the same shortcuts i knew.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i would say make it your first tryout if your starting out.

understands my detailsl of technical documents no matter if its a Windows application or anything else Dr.Explain is one of my favs

Dr. Explain review by Administrator

"Dr.Explain"

What do you like best?

Es la mejor herramienta que he encontrado para realizar Manuales de Usuario y e ayuda

What do you dislike?

Nada en concreto. Me parece que está todo correcto.

Realización de Manuales y Ayudas de aplicaciones propias

Learning about Dr. Explain?

* We monitor all Dr. Explain reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.