Dr. Explain

Dr.Explain is a help authoring software to create help files, documentation and on-line manuals in CHM, PDF, RTF & HTML formats

Work for Dr. Explain?

Learning about Dr. Explain?

Dr. Explain Reviews

Ask Dr. Explain a Question
Showing 19 Dr. Explain reviews
Dr. Explain review by <span>André M.</span>
André M.

"Logiciel de documentation idéal."

What do you like best?

L'utilisation globale est simple.

L'exportation sous différents formats est idéale avec l'envoi en FTP directement.

La gestion du sommaire et du contenu des sujets est facile d'accès et reste très lisible.

La génération du menu automatique et de l'index est automatique.

La possibilité de mettre un statut sur chaque page afin d'avoir un meilleur suivi tout au long du process de création.

What do you dislike?

La capture automatique de page web n'est pas toujours idéale, les zones ne sont pas toujours bien définies ou difficilement selectionnables.

La gestion des styles de textes et de mise en forme qui pourrait être améliorée.

Une bibliothèque partagée des styles de légende à importer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Licence a étudier s'il y a un travail d'équipe car l'outil permet de gérer la base à plusieurs. La prise en main sera facile.

La gestion d'une documentation et surtout sa mise à jour est complexe car notre logiciel évolue continuellement. La mise de notre logiciel web étant régulière, cet outil nous permet une réelle réactivité en publiant directement les mises à jour.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Dr. Explain
Dr. Explain review by <span>Philippe S.</span>
Philippe S.

"This was like the "Eureka" moment"

What do you like best?

The screen capture feature that do all the job for me (automatic capture and analysis of the application controls, insertion into the doc, insertion of the annotations, auto TOC,...). I love it!

What do you dislike?

The collaboration feature that needs you to have Dr Explain installed on your workstation to use it. I would praise a full web application to generate help the same way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really worth a try! Simple and easy (and I am not a tech guy)!

I work at a medium non profit organization of the social sector. My main job is financial but I was invited to develop an integrated software application to help us manager more effectively our grants and our working force. When the development was finished, I needed to provide our users with documentation and help. I started taking screenshots of the application, copying and pasting them into a word document, writing the contents of the help, rearranging the TOC,... All this manually! The final help product was delivered on PDF format and send to our users by email. As the application was continuously updated, I needed to start all the process each month, over and over again. Finally, this started to keep away from my financial job.

I discovered Dr Explain two years ago and I can tell this was like the "Eureka" moment (you know,Einstein...). No more screenshots, no more copy-paste, no more word document to rearrange, no more manual email to send. Updating the documentation is now a breeze. Especially the screen capture feature that do all the job for you (automatic capture and analysis of the application controls, insertion into the doc). I love it! I decided to use the publishing feature of Dr Explain instead of sending emails.... I had I have now returned to my financial job, but I still maintain the help docs myself with the help of Dr Explain. So, thank you guys for your services !

Phil

What Help Authoring Tool (HAT) solution do you use?

Dr. Explain review by <span>Matthew C.</span>
Matthew C.

"Very Intuitive Design"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to link tabs, attach images, and format the text for easy access and comprehension. I was able to edit the file I received from a coworker immediately, without having to go through extensive training. In other words, the controls were very intuitive to me. The status feature was also instrumental in guiding my work as opposed to having the guy who used the system before tell me every little section that needs work. Considering how many tabs we have already, this was a huge time saver for us!

What do you dislike?

I often have issues with it freezing occasionally and then being unable to close the program without relying on the task manager. I save frequently though, so this is not a big problem for me. I had an issue contacting customer support when trying to move the computer that had access to the project from one computer to another, but everything went without a hitch after that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to look at the HTML preview before uploading to see what it will look like to the consumer/help recipient.

The Help center that we have created is allowing people to learn how to use our system at their own pace as opposed to always needing to rely on over-the-phone assistance. It must have saved us hours of communication time over the years. It is very helpful for us to be able to import an iteration of the help files, and then edit them for later improvements as our products become more advanced.

Dr. Explain review by <span>Regina Celia E.</span>
Regina Celia E.

"Uso da ferramenta para documentar softwares e fiquei admirada com a formatação final em HTML"

What do you like best?

Simplicidade ao documentar, aparência profissional do documento final gerado e as diversos formatos que podem ser exportados como em html, pdf ou word.

What do you dislike?

Todas as funcionalidades avaliadas por mim foram satisfeitas, apenas sugiro uma opção de poder incluir o tópico seguinte na mesma página ou não e também poder criar links em partes da figura, pois uso muito mapeamento de processos e gostaria de criar um link para o processo, Atualmente, para fazer isso, teria que desagrupar a imagem.

Elaborando manual de instalação e configuração de um Sistema de Gestão Patrimonial.

Tive como benefício a agilidade pois não preciso me preocupar com a formatação do documento e também com a organização dos tópicos.

Dr. Explain review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Information Technology and Services
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Information Technology and Services

"Dr.Explain - the easiest tool to create your online documentation"

What do you like best?

Setting up a complex help project is easy. Creating topics, restructuring, editing, creating links and capturing application screens is very intuitive and versatile. Dr.Explain keeps track of the structure and generates either a compiled help file, a standalone HTML-website or even an RTF or PDF document. When generating HTML Dr.Explain takes care of navigation and even includes a full-text search through your topics.

What do you dislike?

Dr.Explain is versatile, but not perfect yet. Two additional features would make it more complete. The first is translation. For our project we need a help file in different languages. The only way to accomplish this now is to copy the entire project and translate your topics in the other project. It would be nice to be able to specify in which languages your help should be available and be able to create all these in the same project. The second is customization of the look-and-feel. Dr.Explain comes with a predefined set of styles that cannot be modified. Additional CSS can be created, but since there is no documentation on which CSS is used in the default styles, customization is cumbersome.

Create a help file and a computer based training for our software product

Dr. Explain review by <span>Juanita G.</span>
Juanita G.

"Dr Explain tool"

What do you like best?

All of us enjoy that it is so natural to interface tabs, link pictures, and arrangement the info for simple access and perception. I really could change the document We acquired from a collaborator instantly, without heading through wide planning. At the finish during, the controls were extremely instinctive in my experience. The particular standing highlight was additionally instrumental in controlling my work rather than getting the person who utilized the framework before reveal to me each and every section that necessities work. Considering what quantity of tabs we have by today, this was a gigantic help for us!

What do you dislike?

All of us regularly have problems with it solidifying occasionally and afterward becoming not able near to this program without dependent on the charge chief. I extra as often as possible nonetheless, so this isn't a serious problem for me personally. I had a problem reaching client strengthen when endeavoring to maneuver the PC that approached the job beginning with one PERSONAL COMPUTER then onto the next, however everything abandoned a problem after that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to take a look at the CODE review before moving to perceive what it may be like to the customer/help named beneficiary.

The assistance focus that all of us have made will be enabling visitors to determine out how in order to employ our platform at their very own speed as opposed to continually anticipating to count on completed the-telephone help. This more likely compared to not spared all of us hours of communication time throughout the particular years. It will be extremely useful with regard to us to own the capacity to be able to import an concentrate from the counsel documents, after that change them for later on upgrades as our items change out to be further developed.

Learning about Dr. Explain?

* We monitor all Dr. Explain reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.