Dragon Speech Recognition Software

Dragon Speech Recognition Software is a leading provider of speech, imaging and customer interaction solutions for businesses and consumers around the world.

Work for Dragon Speech Recognition Software?

Learning about Dragon Speech?

Dragon Speech Recognition Software Reviews

Showing 34 Dragon Speech reviews
Dragon Speech review by Tim S.
Tim S.

"Teaching the software can feel like being a parent."

What do you like best?

The interface for Nuance's dictation software is simple and it is very easy to get to grips with the software and how to use it. Creating a profile for your language preference and going through voice training helps the system to learn how you pronounce words and is accurate for the majority of the time allowing you to be more productive.

What do you dislike?

I am using Dragon Professional Individual for Mac, version 6.

The number of applications that the software works well with is pretty small. Nuance's main page states boldly that it the software is great for writing documents, working in spreadsheets, creating emails and surfing the web. It isn't until you get the manual that you discover just which programs it works well with, and Microsofts Excel and Powerpoint aren't two of them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with any piece of software, there is a learning curve. The difference here is that using it is simple and straight-forward and the learning curve primarily comes from the software becoming familiar with your writing styles.

It also depends on what operating system you are using the Dragon software. Windows based machines have had a versatile interaction with the dictation software for many years and it works with many more programs than it does on Mac systems. So if you are using a Macbook then you need to have the latest version of Nuance's dictation software to have anything near a decent experience.

When you choose to buy the software, make sure you also download a copy of the user manual which can be found in the Resource Library as this will provide a valuable aid in how to improve your use of the software and methods of navigating the many commands that it has. While the software does have an inbuilt command list which can be displayed on the screen, there are things in the user guide that make using the software easier and explain what those functions do.

The Mac's version of the software does glitch from time to time. Sometimes this is down to pronunciation, and other times the cursor jumps to a different location within the document. According to Nuance, this will happen in programs that don't support both text and voice entry. However, it does also happen in the 'supported' applications as well.

Overall, you have to be patient while it learns from you and supplying it other documents that you have produced will aid in its learning. Like anything that learns, it will make mistakes (as do we) but its accuracy does increase with each time that you use it.

The initial price tag of £249.99 (Oct-2017) seems high at first but if you make the effort to set up the profile and train the software to your way of writing then the amount of time that can be saved compared to typing is incalcuable.

I am a writer and using Speech recognition software allows me to write that much faster than if I am typing. I also find that sometimes I like to pace when I am thinking and speaking through an idea and not being tied to a keyboard allows me to do this regardless of whether I am using a corded or cordless headset.

Another advantage is that I can dictate parts of my book into any recording app on any phone and then have the software listen and convert those recordings to my documents, saving time in having to either listen and repeat them myself or having to type them up at a later date.

Overall, I find that I am producing more work efficiently and that it helps me to think proactively about the language I need to use when writing.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Dragon Speech Recognition Software
Dragon Speech review by Tifani F.
Tifani F.

"Dragon software is really amazing!"

What do you like best?

I caption phone calls for the hearing impaired and we use Dragon. It works very well most of the time, once you've "trained" it to recognize the way you say things. Simple interface, and can be used in conjunction with any sort of work processing software, I believe. Wonderful product!

What do you dislike?

Occasionally it will "forget" the way I'm saying a word and print out something different and I have to "re-train" it. And there are some words (mostly disfluencies) that it won't pick up at all. Just takes a little working with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use. Would recommend to anyone for doing papers, writing articles or novels, people who have arthritis or other difficulties with typing, etc.

My company uses the software to caption phone calls so that the deaf and hearing impaired community can have the opportunity to communicate without a translator making their calls for them. I think this is a wonderful invention.

What Proactive Notification solution do you use?

Dragon Speech review by Jonathan L.
Jonathan L.

"Easy way to document!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use to document in the health care setting. While typing can be very easy, it is much more convenient to use Dragon to dictate progress notes! I cannot imagine it to be more simpler to use.

What do you dislike?

I think for the most part, Dragon speech recognition is accurate. I only have had minimal issues with some words and abbreviations but I'm sure those things will be sorted out and will get better with time. Cost was really the only issue because my experience with it through my work was as a trial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company provides, definitely take advantage of it. It might seem weird at first but its quick to get a hold of and becomes very easy to use.

Productivity and time management. It is much easier to dictate than typing when it gets so busy. I also work a lot with my hands so I can be writing other things or taking notes while dictating other things.

Dragon Speech review by Paul H.
Paul H.

"Good Software, but you need to spend time training your dragon"

What do you like best?

Software makes writing lengthy reports easier. With practice, I could maneuver around the screen to open, close, and use features without my mouse.

What do you dislike?

When the software is turned on, it takes over the / * - and + buttons on my 10-key pad. Those buttons have specific functions and prevent me from using those characters in my Word document. It takes a lot of training to use all of the bells and whistles that comes with the software. I haven't yet found the time to go through the necessary training.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software seems to get better with each iteration.

Writing lengthy reports. Getting reports written quickly, communicating with the folks I've got contracts with.

Dragon Speech review by Christine B.
Christine B.

"Dragon Medical 10.1"

What do you like best?

This software is great because it quickly recognizes spoken words and translates them to text in seconds without a hiccup. Compatible with our Desktop Mics and easy to use. I like the ability to edit before pasting the text into patient reports.

What do you dislike?

The software could do better with recognizing a wider range of words, but I think with each new update this software will get better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a compatible Mic to use with the software.

Using this software to write patient care notes very quickly is crucial to working up a patient in the Emergency setting.

Dragon Speech review by User in Medical Practice
User in Medical Practice

"Smart Software"

What do you like best?

I like that the Dragon software is very smart and eventually adapts to my personal writing / speaking style. I am happy with its usage for my duties as a physical therapist for daily notes and initial evaluations / progress notes. I like that I can immediately see what I am writing vs just speaking into a voice recorder with no visual feedback.

What do you dislike?

It seems to be expensive for companies to add users to the system, and takes incr time for training, so our PRN staff are unable to have their own profiles.

We have seen improvements in daily productivity due to using Dragon vs other voice recording measures. It saves on the need to hire transcriptionist.

Dragon Speech review by melissa w.
melissa w.

"Dragon User "

What do you like best?

That it captions almost every word in the dictionary and if it do not recognize you can add the word to remember in the data during that call.

What do you dislike?

It revoices some of the words wrong. U have to insert or type them in which takes more time to do

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommemd this software for the deaf or hard of hearing to make and receive phone calls

I am solving the words it cannot or will not caption. I am keeping a list of those words. Benefits i realized is helps people who are hard of hearing to take phone calls and stay connected to the outside world.

Dragon Speech review by Alex K.
Alex K.

"Able to change the way we work"

What do you like best?

Dragon is easy to train and easy to use. The translation is great and it picks up new words quite quickly. We link it with our dictation devices within the office and it works very well with the system.

What do you dislike?

Some users take more time to train their voice then other users, and it can take some persistence. You need to stick with it because there are some great benefits but some users will become frustrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the proper support and training resources for staff and colleagues in place as it will take some time in the short term, but ultimately it will save time in the medium/long term.

Administration time is cut down as the healthcare team can directly dictate themselves. The process used to be as follows: doctor dictates>admin types up>doctor checks. Now the process is as follows: doctor dictates and letter is complete.

Dragon Speech review by Kylie S.
Kylie S.

"Nuance & Dragon medical"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Nuance is the ease of use and streamlining you gain through their developed software. For instance Dragon Medical. Using Dragon allows users to be "hands free" which helps improve efficiency and speed.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Nuance is the software glitches and bugs. As of late our Dragon software has repeatedly crashed and given errors. Nuance has tried to troubleshoot with our IT department but the issues persist.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize all aspects of the software and don't hesitate to contact customer service if functionality is less than optimal.

Dragon and Nuance has allowed us to streamline and make our grossing/dictating process more efficient.

Dragon Speech review by Heather Lowenstein U.
Heather Lowenstein U.

"Our physicians were pleased with Dragon "

What do you like best?

Dragon was very easy to implement in our office. It made transcribing much easier freeing up more time for physicians to see patients

What do you dislike?

I am not aware of any dislikes of Dragon

Recommendations to others considering the product

This was a very easy implementation in our office. The physicians adapted quickly. Helped free up time spent speaking into recorders to have someone else transcribe.

Freeing up more time to spend with patients, not having to pay someone to transcribe or the delay in waiting for a transcriptionist

Dragon Speech review by User in Mental Health Care
User in Mental Health Care

"Dragon naturally speaking 13 premium rocks!"

What do you like best?

I love the convenience of text to type. I wish it had more editing features. I love that it remembers names and phrases if you program it that way.

What do you dislike?

Takes up a lot of room on the computer, slows it down, and it's editing features are not terrific. I think there was some market for this for people with learning disabilities and hand control tremors. My neurologist and my assistive technology person recommended this program for me.

The business problem I have solved is faster productivity. Without dragon, I can only type 15 to 20 words a minute. In one year of using the Dragon program I can produce 60 words a minute. The editing is an issue, but it's still an improvement

Dragon Speech review by Ariel C.
Ariel C.

"Nuance Products"

What do you like best?

Nuance as a whole offers many different useful products. They offer software around document workflow, document design and functionality, and software pertinent to different professional fields. From my experience, everything has been easy to use after you pass the learning curve and establish consistent use. The solutions are priced rather competitively too.

What do you dislike?

Learning tutorials aren't great and it can be trial and error. Some functions within software are buried and cumbersome to find and use.

Workflow automation and processing are what I used some of the products for. The products work across different platforms and common office technology, and work somewhat seemlessly. The benefits include time savings and accuracy with data input, as well having a reliable audit trail.

Dragon Speech review by Internal Consultant in Hospital & Health Care
Internal Consultant in Hospital & Health Care

"Great for transcription"

What do you like best?

Over the last decade EMRs have replaced the dictation pools that Doctors had come to rely upon. Doctor's done't type but with an EMR it is required. The resolution is to use dictation software, Dragon Naturally Speaking, to fill the void left by the transcriptionist. With the increase in accuracy the tool gets better and better over time.

What do you dislike?

The challenge is with integration into most EMR vendors. It can be done but they sure don't make it easy. At some point an EMR vendor will simply buy Dragon and integrate it into the code and the world will never be the same.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with a third party to help with the initial deployment of Dragon Medical. There is so much collaboration and support that the community at large has gained it is of great value to take advantage early on in your deployment.

Better patient note, relieving a highly paid physician from boring and challenging administrative work.

Dragon Speech review by Joel C.
Joel C.

"Voice Recognition Perfection "

What do you like best?

Flexible, multi platformed, high quality and upscale voice recognition software with endless levels of integration!

What do you dislike?

Training side, needs to be more in depth, i feel limited to what i can actually do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are different versions of this product for a reason, i am hoping one day that cost efficiency will kick in and i can purchase the proper version i am using for a decent price. However with this said, purchase your edition for your certain sector, i personally recommend the professional.

Workflow has increased dramatically, distributed to many vendors! Literally , the software turns your voice into words with 99% accuracy, you can tell it to open pieces of software and change, edit documents - this software is amazingly brilliant and from a users point of view, you cannot argue. On average i type up to 30 words per minute, this software can type up to 8 words a second. What is better, it genuinely is amazing and you cannot fault it, for years i had been looking for something to do this, with endless levels on integration i can now use it within terminal server environments and even on my local PC. However i dislike the fact that the software is so customization, you can only be taught so much as a user, and it makes me feel like i personally am missing out on this - that's what i find irritating and hopefully this can one day be rectified - slowly but surely i guess, you do however have the ability to set it to start up in the morning and code different pieces of text to certain letters and integrate with microsoft templates, thats what i find really amazing.

Dragon Speech review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Useful tool for documenting "

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to dictate with this tool, which helps me to save time in my patient care documentation. It is especially helpful for documenting long histories.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the speech recognition is not as accurate as I would like it to be. There are some tools to help train the system, but it is not perfect, so you still have to edit some.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this tool and use it in my daily work.

We are making dictation and care documentation more efficient snd timely, which also helps with provider burnout and workload.

Dragon Speech review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Nuance Speech attendant is very convenient to use for our client"

What do you like best?

Nuance Speech attendant can simply speak the name of a person, department, service or location and be immediately transferred to the right destination – without the hassle of navigating menu options or waiting to waiting to speak with an operator.

What do you dislike?

didn't sync with LDAP server properly sometime.

Deployed Nuance speech attendance for our client. it is simply to deploy in customer's existing voice PBX system

Dragon Speech review by User in Information Technology and Services

"I speak much faster than I type"

What do you like best?

DragonDictate allows me to blast through documentation that would otherwise take me hours to type. It's accuracy is fairly good, but becomes better when you work through a training session with the product.

What do you dislike?

It needs more contextual based translation, for example he should know went to capitalize certain words. It seems to have a hard time with that.

I'm looking for speed and efficiency in creating client ready documents based on speech to text. So far Dragon has help me do that.

Dragon Speech review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"This works as Good as you let it."

What do you like best?

There are many ways to customize it, tailor it to work the way you want it too, if you want to make it pick up the way you speak on multiple ways, etc..

What do you dislike?

Sometimes this program doesn't forgive you for making mistakes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for this program, just use it! Don't doubt it or look other places, it's great.

Captioning phone calls in an easier more accurate way!

Dragon Speech review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Good Adobe PDF Alternative"

What do you like best?

I like that is has the ribbon in Outlook for an easy 1-click solution.

What do you dislike?

I haven't figured out how to use it when I'm not in outlook. I.e. switching a word doc to a PDF.

I don't have a license to use Adobe so it's cost-conscious solution to converting things to PDF.

Dragon Speech review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"Power PDF Advanced"

What do you like best?

i love the simplicity and look of this product compared to the competitors Acrobat Pro. I am able to perform all the necessary requirements that Acrobat provided.

What do you dislike?

I feel that editing OCR text could be a little more straight forward. I am not crazy about the color they selected.

I work in IT for a Law Firm. This tool ahs been very helpful as an Acrobat Replacement. I love the OCR conversion to Word .DOC

It is light years better than Acrobat

Dragon Speech review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"As used for patient dictation service. "

What do you like best?

It's very accessible as prior we had to use a dictaphone. Additionally we can read our dictations after a few days even if not yet in our EMR.

What do you dislike?

App for the iPhone shuts down with incoming call and has to be closed and then opened.

Dictation services.

Dragon Speech review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Love saving time by dictating work through dragon!"

What do you like best?

I love being able to talk out lengthy written documents in less than half the time it would have taken to type!

What do you dislike?

Some words come out incorrect but eventually the software does pick up more nuanced vocabulary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Dragon for quicker drafting of length documents, or even for short reminders to do small tasks.

I am cutting down my billable time to clients, saving them money and me time!

Dragon Speech review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Great!"

What do you like best?

Love the interface of the product, it is easy to navigate once you get the hang of the application. I really like all the options you can use on the applications.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it crashes when the PDF is too large to load, and it takes a long time to load as well.

Easier way to convert PDFs to word. Easier way to scan documents and then edit them.

Dragon Speech review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"Technology is improving"

What do you like best?

Fascinating new technology with tons of uses

What do you dislike?

Thecnology is not 100% yet. Still needs some work.

Great for funnelling customers to proper service reps

Dragon Speech review by User

"Works well "

What do you like best?

After talking very monotone the product works amazing for captioning services

What do you dislike?

Sometimes words like uh or nuh uh do not come out

Helps those with hearing problems

Dragon Speech review by Nate F.
Nate F.

"Wish I had this when I was in school."

What do you like best?

This is an awesome tool to use if you have anything to write that iks long in length and doesnt require many clicks. It is great for writing reports or anything of that nature. I have occasionaly used it for excel spreadsheets and it actualyl very fluent. All you need to do is click into the sqaure you would like to input into and talk away.

What do you dislike?

Like most verbal recognition tools, it doesn't always work. Some people pronounce things differnt ways and making numerous corrections can get more annoying than just typing things out manually. Other than errors there is really nothing to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While I was typing this review I was thinking to myself. Maybe I should install Dragon here at home so I can just speak out my reviews! If you find yourself typing numerous long reports daily give Dragon a try!

Dragon Speech review by User in Computer Hardware
User in Computer Hardware

"dont expect instant results"

What do you like best?

very good voice recognition when used over time. Various solutions are available for various industries, proving itself to be a reliable and functional tool for many given situations. Dragon is a very convenient method of transcribing your work (for example when driving, but i dont recommend it!).

The mobile application is available for free and can work with twitter and facebook, as well as email and texting.

What do you dislike?

A user can become too reliant and complacent using such a solution, to the extent of failing to proof read any work done via Dragon. It can be unreliable due to varied speech patterns, accents and background noise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dragon are a proven provider of voice recognition software, and thats proven with their wide range of offerings for multiple industries including education, healthcare and professional business.

Speech recognition will improve over time as it adjusts to the user so dont expect instant results.

The price for individual users can be off-putting however the free application for the iPhone is worth consideration if you dont like Apples Siri.

Dragon Speech review by Peter B.
Peter B.

"Not that Bad"

What do you like best?

The app is pretty cool, but make sure you don't have any background noise going on when using it. For a free app, it works ok, but again, need to be in a quiet area to really feel the power .. using from a car does not bode well.

What do you dislike?

Not much not to like .. it's voice recognition, so since there is not a lot of successful apps on the market today that are for free, I can't really say much negatively about this app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since it's free, I recommend that you give it a try. It does take time to get used to and it's not perfect, so if you go into it thinking it's going to be the greatest thing since the iPhone, don't bother trying.

Dragon Speech review by Erich R.
Erich R.

"Poor Voice Recognition"

What do you like best?

I like the concept of being able to dictate a Word document or an email, however, the reality of this software is that it requires a heavy amount of coaching and teaching the software to understand your voice. Even after that, it seems to have trouble understanding basic phrases.

What do you dislike?

Nuance has been around for quite some time, delivering voice recognition technology for your desktop. I've tried several versions of their software over the years, hoping that some day I will finally get simple to setup voice recognition technology for my computer, but each year I'm left disappointed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The voice technology on the latest version of the iPad is superior in many ways to Nuance's Dragon. If you're in the market for voice recognition technology or the ability to dictate documents you would normally type you might want to consider something.

Dragon Speech review by Alex W.
Alex W.

"NUance is a great product for dictation"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of composing messages with the Nuance Dragon products. Whether it is writing an email to a customer or writing notes for later use it offers an easy way to keep track of your thoughts.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the amount of functions that a person needs to memorize initially, but once you get used to it everything flows nicely

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest this product for anyone that composes a lot of emails.

Dragon Speech review by Jason H.
Jason H.

"Not so much"

What do you like best?

Na

What do you dislike?

The college I used to work at purchased several copies of their speech to text software and it was a total waste of money. I toke a lot of training form it to understand what you were saying and to correctly dictate. People would get frustrated with the setup and never use it. A lot of money and time went down the drain with this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ty something else.

Dragon Speech review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Not many options out there"

What do you like best?

Very accurate. Works well with microphones including Bluetooth but you do need a quiet environment. Pretty affordable but make sure you buy the right version. Probably not worth upgrading from version 10.

What do you dislike?

Slow and buggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't upgrade from version 10 to version 11 or 12.

Dragon Speech review by User in Computer Software

"Don't Give Up On It"

What do you like best?

It works great after it has been trained, and you are using a decent microphone. this works just fine.

What do you dislike?

At first it does not seem to work well, but I have found with time it works out great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dragon Naturally Speaking has been around forever and is my favorite tool for dictation. I also know that this is the standard software used for disabled individuals for dictation.

Dragon Speech review by Rusty P.
Rusty P.

"Stick with it -- it gets better"

What do you like best?

This is an amazing voice app for your computer. I cannot get over how accurate it is & how it interacts with me as I talk to type. Very impressive!

What do you dislike?

Rather resource heavy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stick with it, you will have to teach the software. Be sure to back it up.

Learning about Dragon Speech Recognition Software?

* We monitor all Dragon Speech Recognition Software reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.