Dragon Speech Recognition Software

Dragon Speech Recognition Software is a leading provider of speech, imaging and customer interaction solutions for businesses and consumers around the world.

Work for Dragon Speech Recognition Software?

Learning about Dragon Speech?

Dragon Speech Recognition Software Reviews

Showing 32 Dragon Speech reviews
Dragon Speech review by <span>Tim S.</span>
Tim S.

"Teaching the software can feel like being a parent."

What do you like best?

The interface for Nuance's dictation software is simple and it is very easy to get to grips with the software and how to use it. Creating a profile for your language preference and going through voice training helps the system to learn how you pronounce words and is accurate for the majority of the time allowing you to be more productive.

What do you dislike?

I am using Dragon Professional Individual for Mac, version 6.

The number of applications that the software works well with is pretty small. Nuance's main page states boldly that it the software is great for writing documents, working in spreadsheets, creating emails and surfing the web. It isn't until you get the manual that you discover just which programs it works well with, and Microsofts Excel and Powerpoint aren't two of them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with any piece of software, there is a learning curve. The difference here is that using it is simple and straight-forward and the learning curve primarily comes from the software becoming familiar with your writing styles.

It also depends on what operating system you are using the Dragon software. Windows based machines have had a versatile interaction with the dictation software for many years and it works with many more programs than it does on Mac systems. So if you are using a Macbook then you need to have the latest version of Nuance's dictation software to have anything near a decent experience.

When you choose to buy the software, make sure you also download a copy of the user manual which can be found in the Resource Library as this will provide a valuable aid in how to improve your use of the software and methods of navigating the many commands that it has. While the software does have an inbuilt command list which can be displayed on the screen, there are things in the user guide that make using the software easier and explain what those functions do.

The Mac's version of the software does glitch from time to time. Sometimes this is down to pronunciation, and other times the cursor jumps to a different location within the document. According to Nuance, this will happen in programs that don't support both text and voice entry. However, it does also happen in the 'supported' applications as well.

Overall, you have to be patient while it learns from you and supplying it other documents that you have produced will aid in its learning. Like anything that learns, it will make mistakes (as do we) but its accuracy does increase with each time that you use it.

The initial price tag of £249.99 (Oct-2017) seems high at first but if you make the effort to set up the profile and train the software to your way of writing then the amount of time that can be saved compared to typing is incalcuable.

I am a writer and using Speech recognition software allows me to write that much faster than if I am typing. I also find that sometimes I like to pace when I am thinking and speaking through an idea and not being tied to a keyboard allows me to do this regardless of whether I am using a corded or cordless headset.

Another advantage is that I can dictate parts of my book into any recording app on any phone and then have the software listen and convert those recordings to my documents, saving time in having to either listen and repeat them myself or having to type them up at a later date.

Overall, I find that I am producing more work efficiently and that it helps me to think proactively about the language I need to use when writing.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Dragon Speech Recognition Software
Dragon Speech review by <span>Jonathan L.</span>
Jonathan L.

"Easy way to document!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use to document in the health care setting. While typing can be very easy, it is much more convenient to use Dragon to dictate progress notes! I cannot imagine it to be more simpler to use.

What do you dislike?

I think for the most part, Dragon speech recognition is accurate. I only have had minimal issues with some words and abbreviations but I'm sure those things will be sorted out and will get better with time. Cost was really the only issue because my experience with it through my work was as a trial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company provides, definitely take advantage of it. It might seem weird at first but its quick to get a hold of and becomes very easy to use.

Productivity and time management. It is much easier to dictate than typing when it gets so busy. I also work a lot with my hands so I can be writing other things or taking notes while dictating other things.

What Proactive Notification solution do you use?

Dragon Speech review by <span>Paul H.</span>
Paul H.

"Good Software, but you need to spend time training your dragon"

What do you like best?

Software makes writing lengthy reports easier. With practice, I could maneuver around the screen to open, close, and use features without my mouse.

What do you dislike?

When the software is turned on, it takes over the / * - and + buttons on my 10-key pad. Those buttons have specific functions and prevent me from using those characters in my Word document. It takes a lot of training to use all of the bells and whistles that comes with the software. I haven't yet found the time to go through the necessary training.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software seems to get better with each iteration.

Writing lengthy reports. Getting reports written quickly, communicating with the folks I've got contracts with.

Dragon Speech review by <span>Christine B.</span>
Christine B.

"Dragon Medical 10.1"

What do you like best?

This software is great because it quickly recognizes spoken words and translates them to text in seconds without a hiccup. Compatible with our Desktop Mics and easy to use. I like the ability to edit before pasting the text into patient reports.

What do you dislike?

The software could do better with recognizing a wider range of words, but I think with each new update this software will get better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a compatible Mic to use with the software.

Using this software to write patient care notes very quickly is crucial to working up a patient in the Emergency setting.

Dragon Speech review by User in Medical Practice
User in Medical Practice

"Smart Software"

What do you like best?

I like that the Dragon software is very smart and eventually adapts to my personal writing / speaking style. I am happy with its usage for my duties as a physical therapist for daily notes and initial evaluations / progress notes. I like that I can immediately see what I am writing vs just speaking into a voice recorder with no visual feedback.

What do you dislike?

It seems to be expensive for companies to add users to the system, and takes incr time for training, so our PRN staff are unable to have their own profiles.

We have seen improvements in daily productivity due to using Dragon vs other voice recording measures. It saves on the need to hire transcriptionist.

Dragon Speech review by <span>Alex K.</span>
Alex K.

"Able to change the way we work"

What do you like best?

Dragon is easy to train and easy to use. The translation is great and it picks up new words quite quickly. We link it with our dictation devices within the office and it works very well with the system.

What do you dislike?

Some users take more time to train their voice then other users, and it can take some persistence. You need to stick with it because there are some great benefits but some users will become frustrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the proper support and training resources for staff and colleagues in place as it will take some time in the short term, but ultimately it will save time in the medium/long term.

Administration time is cut down as the healthcare team can directly dictate themselves. The process used to be as follows: doctor dictates>admin types up>doctor checks. Now the process is as follows: doctor dictates and letter is complete.

Learning about Dragon Speech Recognition Software?

* We monitor all Dragon Speech Recognition Software reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.