DreamHost

3.9
(56 reviews)

Shared web hosting is an affordable, quick, and easy way for you to get your site online. Inexpensive, reliable, and feature-filled!

Work for DreamHost?

Learning about DreamHost?

DreamHost Reviews

Ask DreamHost a Question
Showing 56 DreamHost reviews
DreamHost review by John A.  P.
John A. P.

"Better Than A Lot of Companies for Your Hosting Needs"

What do you like best?

I like the different hosting plans that they offer, there is multiple tiers depending on your needs and your expect web traffic bandwidth. Also if you are pretty comfortable with coding dreamhost makes it easy for your change the coding for your websites.

What do you dislike?

If you are somewhat new to websites then it can be a hinderance, when I try to get other people to modify the site on my behalf there is a lot of confusion as opposed to other hosting sites like Blue Host where is it super user friendly. And my main issue with them is you can't reach customer service by phone. They have chat but only during limited hours and email. If you get disconnected mid chat you'll have to explain what happened sometimes all over again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dreamhost is really great especially if you are more website savvy than mosts, otherwise if you are a beginning to form your own websites I would suggest another company that can hand hold your through the process a little bit better.

Dreamhost has great packages and this definitely fit out needs when it came to hosting needs. All of our sites are running smoothly after a couple kinks that had been worked out and we haven't had issues since. So we are enjoying the speed of their hosting sites.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about DreamHost
DreamHost review by Alex R.
Alex R.

"Great for Website Hosting"

What do you like best?

What I like the most about being a dreamhost client is that they update really often. So privacy or encryptions are always up to date. With other hosting sites they are sometimes behind on new implementation. Their prices for new customers are really good, and I definitely have my clients taking advantage of that. Along with the good pricing for new customers that I like they always add on things for free, while other hosting companies will charge you extras.

What do you dislike?

They've been having a lot of webmail issues the last month. Normally I have been super satisfied with how their mail works. Adding it to a pop account is tedious and not as easy but you can have it integrate with google mail very easily, but once you change it to sync with google mail its tedious changing it back. But if you don't use google mail and just use their webmail they've been trying to fix it, but it seems like a while since it's been working properly. So hopefully they get it sorted out so it works perfect like before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look for the promo lifehacker has on dreamhost, it's always the best promo around and you'll get more than 50% off!

It's always good referring my clients to them, when my clients get a deal and happy with their website hosting then it always makes me look good. You can create an unlimited amount of websites on their hosting site and it's nice if you have a lot of niche websites.

What Web Hosting solution do you use?

DreamHost review by Miguel R.
Miguel R.

"Dreamhost Unlimited Hosting Cheapest Around"

What do you like best?

I shopped around for different hosting sites and I found a promo and was able to get unlimited hosting for all my websites for less than 5 dollars a month. I've had cheaper hosting but let me tell you I always had issues with them. GoDaddy for starters didn't couldn't fix my wordpress problem because they didn't have the means to handle the updated wordpress. That was a bummer. Tried other misc ones too and so far been super happy with them here.

What do you dislike?

Wish you could talk to someone on the phone. I bet it would make things a lot easier when I have a problem. Im pretty impatient and rather just talk, but they have chat support which is probably better for them than having people explain themselves in crazy ways and being overwhelmed with their problems. Still like talking to a person than chatting with them online.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do a google search for a promo and you can find a ton and save more than 50% off.

All my websites are easy to manage since they are all hosted on one spot. I can go onto my dashboard make any changes quickly and have my online businesses satisfied. All my clients are happy and both they and I save a ton of money.

DreamHost review by Lucy A. R.
Lucy A. R.

"Good for Hosting "

What do you like best?

I love their affordable pricing. You can host unlimited amounts of domains for about ten dollars a month. With that you have unlimited memory so you load as much information as you want. You also have unlimited email for your employees etc.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that you can't talk directly to a person, you have to email them your problems. Instead of it taking minutes to walk through you have to go back and forth, they usually respond within 24 hours but still it can be annoying. Also sometimes the email service doesn't work, so you will get blips of no service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely consider dreamhost for your hosting needs, they have the best plans out there and if you search for promo codes you can get hosting for your first year unlimited domains for less than 40 a year. Thats incredibly cheap.

Unlimited website hosting for ten bucks a month, when I tell people how cheap it is for me to hosts all my website they find it hard to be believe, they usually think hosting has to be super expensive and also that they have to pay individually for each site, but you dont.

DreamHost review by obai s.
obai s.

"A company that is really passionate about hosting websites."

What do you like best?

They are really passionate about hosting websites. Every week, i would wait for their weekly newsletter just to know what the next new feature is.

I have hosting account on 4 companies and dream host was the first to add Let's encrypt free ssl implemented inside the account panel.

They also provided free Privacy add on on each domain.

above all that, they have great and fast support.

What do you dislike?

Although they brag a lot about their in house custom made control panel. Which is really easy and well organized.

But I am a C-panel fan, and i would like to have the option to use c-panel on my account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dream host is your best choice if you are starting up, and need a hosting with great introductory prices and a lot of premium features implemented for your account, for free!.

Like free domain privacy.

Free Let's Encrypt automatic implementation.

Free CoudeFlare automatic implementation.

And a lot more

They provide premium hosting solution and they realy like doing their job. They are one the best candidates for startups. Especially because they have numerous promo codes that would give you up to 85% discount on the first year, just google it.

DreamHost review by Efraim S.
Efraim S.

"It was a smooth process and a great website to maneuver when initially getting started."

What do you like best?

I liked that I was able to follow the simple directions provided in order to get hosting set up right away. The pay structure was also affordable for someone like me who had been introduced to DreamHost through a coding tutorial I worked through with a leader in the industry who trusted DreamHost as a client.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like the formats they used when trying to build your own website through their platform. There are better ways to do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and if it doesn't suit your needs then migrate your info to another hosting company.

I was learning the fundamentals of web development for the first time and figuring out how web hosting worked by trial and error with the help of an online course. A common approach for many people starting in the industry. I realized that certain benefits included affordable pricing, easy to follow directions and simple email hosting.

DreamHost review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Solid web hosting that works for me."

What do you like best?

I like that I was able to try the web hosting at a promo price to get a feel for everything. I am not a web designer or a programmer and/or developer, so a lot of what I needed was new to me as a Designer for my site. The price is good and they are updating the look and feel of the site, interface, etc (compared to when I first started). When I did have a problem I was able to reach someone in a reasonable time.

What do you dislike?

Ok, so for some reason when I was using Mail on my Mac for email and now Polymail, seems like there is always a problem or glitch with the mail server. Even when following the help tips I had to contact tech support to find the problem. After contacting both Dreamhost and Polymail I was able to come up with a fix, but it seems like there are issues every now and then.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to check your mail options when using IMAP options (especially on a Mac).

I am able to host my site to where I can display my design work and services for clients who are in need of what I have to offer. Now I see that they have updated their Webmail, have to check that out.

DreamHost review by Ale P.
Ale P.

"Unlimited Websites Under One Host"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about dreamhost is that for one low price you can host an unlimited amount of domains. Their pricing is never more than ten dollars a month and everything is unlimited. You can get unlimited domains with unlimited emails so I host all my websites on their services because you can't beat their pricing unless you are offering a lower quality service. I have tried other hosting sites and so far this one has been the most effective for my websites.

What do you dislike?

A lot of the other hosting sites you can call and will be put on hold but can talk to a customer service representative. In dreamhost's case they only offer chat support, which you also have to wait for. And they are not 24 hours, they are on the east coast and hold those business hours and aren't available for chatting during non business hours and also weekends, which is terrible if you run into technical issues. They have a website that explains a lot but if you aren't too savvy you won't understand a lot of the technical jargon. So that means you have to email them and wait for support which might take a bit depending on when you email and their business hours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering dreamhost for your hosting needs compare them to the other popular sites and definitely read reviews to see if it's the right fit for you. You can cancel and they will give you your money back for the unused time if you aren't happy with them as well.

All my clients are happy with their websites and hardly run into any snags. They love the ability to create emails for their employees and not being charged a lot since I forward what I save onto them.

DreamHost review by Elizabeth U.
Elizabeth U.

"Helpful Web hosting "

What do you like best?

They are quick to respond to issues and I like their chat support option. They've been working to help me resolve issues that I suspect are more a WordPress problem than on their end but they've continually worked on it anyway and answered all my questions.

What do you dislike?

I haven't been using them for very long, but being new to websites it would be nice if they had an easier way to speak on the phone. I've also had a recurring issue with updating digital downloads that they don't seem to know how to fix.

I was having trouble uploading media to my site and at one point my website crashed. I wouldn't have known what to do but they resolved it quickly.

DreamHost review by User in Design
User in Design

"Dreamhost is a solid choice for a hosting company"

What do you like best?

What drew me to Dreamhost was their really economical hosting packages. I believe I paid one penny for a few months of hosting, and then had the choice of paying by the year or month. I really liked the ability to manage many websites at once, without multiple logins.

What do you dislike?

I wish they used cPanel for their hosting management. I'm not crazy about their custom admin area. It's not the worst out there, but it's a lot more work to move client's Dreamhost sites to cPanel or vice versa.

They also had too much downtime during my time with them, though I hear that has improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I was a Dreamhost customer (and still manage sites for clients hosted there), for several years. I ended up switching to GoDaddy for both my domains and website hosting. There was too much downtime that I experienced for very little traffic. However, they are great at fairly timely support response time. The company atmosphere is fun and they have a very humorous newsletter writer. All in all, they are a good company, but did not entirely suit my needs as to allowing me to successfully manage my websites.

They provided good hosting for not just my websites, but several clients as well. I had a client who hosted over 20 sites on Dreamhost.

DreamHost review by David F.
David F.

"Fake it til you make it!"

What do you like best?

Changing hosts has become a bit of a thing for me lately. As my site count grows, I demand more. Not in a rude way,, of course. Recently, I added an ecomm division and decided it was time to play in the big kids sandbox so I bid fare-the-well to the Walmarts of the industry and was warmly welcomed to Dreamhost. You see I probably don’t need the power that Dreamhost offers, yet. But I am sure going to act like I do. Dreamhost allows you to scale and that was important. They offer VPS and a managed cloud option. The interface is quite easy and the uptime has been spot on.

What do you dislike?

My only gripe was the load speed on the shared plan. Ok so easy fix, I upgraded to VPS and they migrated the sites for me. All in I was upgraded and migrated inside of 20 minutes. My thought is go for the VPS or Cloud plans and spend a few bucks more for a noticeable speed increase.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No outlandish claims, no bait and switch offers, no nonsense is what they offer. They are honest and upfront about pricing and products. They allow you to grow into a product. One more note:!the billing method is amazing. They are very business literate and bill by invoice. So you don’t have to worry about downtime if accounting cancelled the credit cards.

Wordpress hosting for five sites, two sites with medium traffic the other three are developing. The benefit of a VPS plan with DH is easy management of a portfolio of sites and an interface that makes sense.

DreamHost review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"Great value for VPS"

What do you like best?

Dreamhost was easy to get up and running, and provides great value for VPS hosting. When comparing storage, processors, RAM and features, Dreamhost stood out among the competition. Free SSL certificate and competitive domain registration prices are also a plus.

What do you dislike?

The user interface could use some streamlining, and sometimes when working with various aspects like managing your user account, you're sent to page that looks like it's straight out of 1998. If you're into web nostalgia, you'd love it! Also, my developers often lament that Dreamhost uses a proprietary control panel rather than CPanel.

Fast VPS hosting for multiple Wordpress/Woocommerce sites with plentiful storage at a great value.

DreamHost review by Derek L.
Derek L.

"Great support, excellent uptime, everything I wanted in a Wordpress host."

What do you like best?

The reliability of the service. I've encountered some downright awful web hosts in terms of uptime, but I've never had a problem with Dreamhost. Their Virtual Private Server options provide dedicated resources for my website, and I like knowing that I can scale up to more resources should the need arise.

What do you dislike?

The web-based mail clients need some work at last use, but they have recently upgraded to a new mail platform (which I have not had the chance to try). Integrating with Google for Work was seamless from the host end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with a virtual private server, even if you think shared hosting is right for you. The dedicated resources and scalability provides a great starting point for a web hosting package, and it's not much more expensive than shared hosting. Dreamhost does provide tools to make the transition from shared hosting to VPS easy if needed.

I've had consistent uptime with my website since moving over more than a year ago. We've never had major downtime, I've been able to troubleshoot and administer website issues from their many available tools, and the price is excellent.

DreamHost review by Jennifer G.
Jennifer G.

"The best, user-friendly domain and hosting service"

What do you like best?

Dreamhost has a great user dashboard that's easy to navigate, which really makes them a great hosting service. I once switched over to Siteground because I heard it was cheaper—and then promptly switched back (you don't realize how good something is until it's gone).

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything that I dislike about Dreamhost! So far, so good. And every time I have a problem, I'm able to chat with their support team and find a solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Dreamhost a shot and I promise you won't be disappointed. Never worry about pricing changes or confusion on how to figure things out. Dreamhost is an honest company with amazing support and a ton of tutorials for when you need assistance.

I am hosting the website for my business, which allows me to promote my services and book new clients.

DreamHost review by Nate D.
Nate D.

"Easy to use, powerful, cheap shared web hosting"

What do you like best?

The price is right at about $10 per month; it's easy to use; they offer a lot of great features compared to other shared web hosting services; affordable domain registrations with free registration privacy

What do you dislike?

Shared web hosting in general is pretty low on performance (but you get what you pay for); it's difficult to allow multiple users to access the server - because each website is hosted under a single user, you would have to shared a single username/password to allow multiple people to access the same site on the server; they have a limited selection on top level domains to choose from for domain registrations

Recommendations to others considering the product

My current websites don't require a lot of resources, but if you have sites that do, you may want to think about a dedicated server. Non-profit groups that need simple website hosting should definitely use DreamHost due to their free plan and free yearly domain registration for non-profits. Overall, DreamHost offers a lot of powerful features for the price, and it's a great solution for simple web hosting.

I currently use DreamHost to host all my websites, and it handles this quite well. I also have most of my domains registered with DreamHost since they offer free registration privacy (something I want for all my domains). My church website that I built also hosts at DreamHost, because they offer free hosting and one free domain registration ever year to any non-profit organization.

DreamHost review by Martin R.
Martin R.

"The price is right -- and the support is better than average"

What do you like best?

I can manage quite a lot through the dashboard -- including domains and subdomains,, email accounts, FTP site, and much more. The user interface is fairly intuitive. Above all, the price is very reasonable.

What do you dislike?

There are some things you just aren't allowed to do. I couldn't for example have multiple DNS servers. And there are occasional outages that are more than annoying if you're trying to conduct business with Dreamhost-hosted domains and email accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For businesses that need a bullet-proof web hosting service, Dreamhost isn't the very best. But for an affordable solution that works 95%+ of the time, it is good. As a price for performance metric, Dreamhost is at the right place.

Hosting of web sites, management of many email accounts, creation of FTP and SFTP sites.

DreamHost review by Ruban K.
Ruban K.

"Alternative to Godaddy and Hostgator"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup your account, register a domain. Their support staff are very friendly, you have a dedicated page to post your support questions and get help. Ftp client and interface works cool.

What do you dislike?

No free trial for hosting services, The way they handle billing is the worst in the industry. They don't send you invoices or anything. I had no idea I was charged 40+ bucks a month for 6 months from dream host until I started checking each of my bank statement line. I would never suggest Dreamhost to anyone I love

Recommendations to others considering the product

Never use it. I would suggest GCP or AWS

Nothing. I just closed my account after realizing I was paying 40 bucks per month for nothing for the past 6 months

DreamHost review by Eric L. J.
Eric L. J.

"Web hosting as it should be."

What do you like best?

Dreamhost is not fancy gimmicks or overpriced. You get exactly what you pay for and they deliver. We started with their shared hosting many years ago and moved to a virtual private server, and then a dedicated server and then upgraded our dedicated server. We have not turned back. We run over 50 sites and without any issues. The support of DreamHost staff is some of the best - and though you cannot call DreamHost, their live chat and email support is better than any we have encountered (note: you can request that they call you for a charge or included with higher plans, we've never needed to use their call-back feature).

They also have honest domain registration and SSL pricing.

What do you dislike?

The only problem I see with DreamHost is their free email. Their email servers are constantly having issues. I personally feel this is because they allow unlimited email for free. I think this is what creates the majority of their issues. We only run about 5 emails out of 50 sites, with none of the emails being mission critical.

Searching or sorting your domains is not easy. You go through alphabetized lists.

There is no way, at least not that we know of, to tie DreamHost in with WHMCS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Considerations to take into account. We feel DreamHost is one of the best managed private server platforms. Their shared hosting is also nothing to shake a stick at and their DreamPress 2 is phenomenal for large ("heavy") WordPress sites. You will not get the fancy GUI or an old cPanel. You get a nice web page panel with all items easily found. They also have an extensive Wiki for most anything you need to perform. Overall, I would say DreamHost is not for the 2-click hosting that some beginners want, but has more features and abilities for the medium to advanced users.

We need solid hosting at an honest price with great support. We get all of that and are able to pass this great service to our clients. We also use DreamHost for the majority of our domain registrations.

DreamHost review by Kendra W.
Kendra W.

"A good place to start"

What do you like best?

Dreamhost is an excellent place to start out in terms of hosting when you're pretty new to it. Their customer support in general (as well as response time) has gotten much better - I remember it severely lacking years ago.

If you're an average Joe looking for a quick one-click install with nothing too fancy, Dreamhost is an excellent option for you. It's also simple enough to figure out if you don't have that much experience with hosting. Their customer service has stepped up their game as well should you need the help.

What do you dislike?

I had issues with the shared hosting in terms of speed, downtime and other people in the same cluster getting DDoSed which ended up making me switch for a little while years ago. They seem to have fixed all of those issues more recently though, so I would take that comment with a grain of salt.

Dreamhost was my host for a long time and they have definitely stepped up their game since ~2008. They've been a good host for the smaller sites I manage.

DreamHost review by Alberto B.
Alberto B.

"It used to be the best option, solid, now needs to improve"

What do you like best?

I used it a few years ago, and even though it was a bit more expensive than their competitors they had so many good features for its value.

I would describe it as the best hosting provider if using Wordpress or PHP.

They have lots of one-click installation programs, and you don't really need much knowledge to install any popular script.

I love unlimited aditional domains, subdomains, SQL databases, bandwidth and disk-space. What else can you ask for?

Finally, and as far as I know they provide 100% up-time guaranteed in their hosting, which is rare, but it is amazing for this price.

What do you dislike?

When talking about Virtual Private Servers, I would definitely go for other service provider. I think they should be a bit cheaper.

Let us be honest, right now if I had to hire a webpage server, I would go for a NodeJs, Django or Ruby On Rails solution.

I guess their interface could be better, it is true, you can customize lots of things, but I feel a bit lost when playing around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just come to DreamHost if you are hosting a PHP website. Afterwards, make sure you know what you are doing. Dreamhost is a great provider in terms of customization, you can do many things, but with great power comes great responsibility.

If you have all the requirements, you will definitely feel satisfied.

It is the best value you can find if you matter about an unlimited database and unlimited storage.

I had to host the typical university association webpage, so after studying all posibilities I decided to for this hosting service.

The experience was great, I remember we hosted linux images, the webpage, some other personal files, photos, and I do not remember any problem during the whole experience.

DreamHost review by Kenton H.
Kenton H.

"Solid Classic Server, A Bit Outdated in the Cloud"

What do you like best?

Dreamhost is a pretty solid "classic" web host (by that I mean: Apache2, PHP, MySQL, FTP server). They give essentially unlimited space and bandwidth, and I've never noticed downtime (though I admittedly don't monitor it regularly). Now that most of my hosting needs are for dynamic apps not built with PHP, I largely use Dreamhost for registering and maintaining domain names and hosting custom-domain email addresses. This is easy and inexpensive with Dreamhost.

What do you dislike?

It's not the cheapest; I'm in the process of transitioning to different services (such as Github pages) for static files, and services like DigitalOcean for dynamic hosting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DreamHost is a solid service, but not the most economical. They recently launched DreamCompute, a cloud server system. I tried it for a month, but much preferred DigitalOcean which I found easier to use and more flexible. For static file hosting (or PHP hosting), I would highly recommend DigitalOcean; though it may be overpowered for personal use.

DreamHost review by Willian M.
Willian M.

"Used the shared hosting for 7 years and liked it"

What do you like best?

The shared hosting works good. During the 7 years I used the service it worked as expect. I kept my blog there and it was really easy to create and maintain an wordpress instance. Some of the security upgrades were applied without any intervention from my side.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes my blog was out of service. This is a common problem of shared environments, called "the bad neighbor problem" and I was used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In case you are not building an application that must be responsible all the time I highly recommend Dreahost. The price is ok and the service and support are good enough.

I wanted to create my portfolio and write technical posts about my job and career. Dreamhost helped me to not take too much time to have the infrastructure to get the job done.

DreamHost review by Christopher P.
Christopher P.

"Web Hosting with Dreamhost"

What do you like best?

The best part of dreamhost is the ease of use. When working with dreamhost the navigation of their actual website is simple and direct. Websites like godaddy are too complicated with too many buttons and links, making it difficult to navigate the website. With dreamhost any issue I have ever had in terms of my server going down, they are always able to reach out to me within 24 hours. The turn around time being so quick really helps to keep all my websites up to date and functioning.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the pricing. Although they do provide you with some free perks in terms of registering websites with them, giving you an amount of credit, but the yearly fee is higher than some companies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would use dreamhost without question. The best asset dreamhost offers is the ease of use. With other hosting firms it can be distracting and stressful trying to work with their website to get the hosting to function how you want it to. The layout of dreamhost is easy and direct, making it the first place I would go.

The problem I solve is that I need to have multiple websites hosted and functioning on a daily basis for my design clients. I work with schools, personal trainers and entrepreneurs. By having a simple platform like Dreamhost I am able to easily and simply update all of my websites. I have over 7 website registered and hosted with Dreamhost, solving an issue I would have if I could not find a great company to work with.

DreamHost review by Administrator

"From Domain Registration to Site Hosting to Dedicated Servers"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about my use of DreamHost as my hosting company, I have been using this company for over ten years. My favorite part of the company is the CMS (Content Management System) options; which include a one-click install for WordPress, which, you can now buy DreamPress; a dedicated WordPress for DreamHost users.

I also find that it is amazing to have everything in one place. I can register all of my domains in one place, as well as host them. I'm not having to remember multiple places or passwords, and everything is amazingly well documented to walk you through various one-click installs and database creation.

DreamHost is also amazing with super swift turn around when it comes to their customer service. If something goes down? They're there to help!

What do you dislike?

Of all the years I have been a user of DreamHost and their programs I have literally never had a single dislike of their services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering DreamHost, consider what your business needs to succeed. If you need a good company that keeps everything in one place and has great customer service? You're headed in the right direction by going with DreamHost. There are a plethora of amazing options, from CMS to buidling your own site from the ground up. You can have a forum, you can run a wordpress site. You can do amazing things with DreamHost.

I have realized nothing but benefits from using DreamHost's services. If you like organizing your web platform, DreamHost is the company for you.

DreamHost review by Hazzim A.
Hazzim A.

"Dreamhost customer since 2006."

What do you like best?

I'm Dreamhost customer since 2006, I started with shared hosting and VPS customer later, actually I'm using mostly DreamObjects service and the cost and benefits are great.

What do you dislike?

I have VPS since many years ago and the specifications are unlimited in storage, now if you want a new VPS the storage is limited.

Few years ago DreamHost was one of the best options in the market, now the offer is better and DreamHost is offering cloud services (DreamCompute and DreamObjects), now I have a VPS and DreamObjects service, and this last one is just great.

DreamHost review by Ryan T.
Ryan T.

"DreamHost is an excellent, low cost choice for small websites."

What do you like best?

The price for the simple shared hosting is great. The interfaces are also relatively clean, with only some of the least used features with not yet up to date UI. Customer Service is incredible.

What do you dislike?

For the services that we use, and for the price of those services, there isn't much to complain about. The outdated UI for some things that we need to do is annoying, but it's certainly not a deal-breaker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for low cost shared hosting for small brochureware websites, their shared hosting is excellent. It's inexpensive and the uptime is awesome.

Low cost website hosting for our web design business.

DreamHost review by Jorge P.
Jorge P.

"Good enough"

What do you like best?

I liked the fast support I received when having some difficulties during our rush time in verge of releasing a game that would connect to our php back-end

What do you dislike?

I disliked the user interface they had at the time and the troublesome way for handling payments

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good opportunity to evaluate DreamHost's current status. Now they have a better user interface and, despite not renewing the current plan, I must admit that the support response time is really, really good.

It's a great hosting company if you have an International Credit Card or US debit card. However, I wouldn't recomend DreamHost for clients that need to pay via PayPal. That road is just too complicated.

I'm developing games and we were working on a client-server game when we were using the service

DreamHost review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Dreamhost is a dream!"

What do you like best?

Dreamhost is a solid, no gimmick, inexpensive host. They have an excellent tier for non-profits, and haveb been wonderful across several clients of mine. They now support LetsEncrypt, for free, even though it now cuts into the SSL certificate business. I have been nothing short of thrilled with Dreamhost.

What do you dislike?

Changing contact info for the account is a little convoluted, since its on a different system that is rarely used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely consider for shared hosting, domains and SSL.

Dreamhost provides services for hosting all of our domains, subdomains, SSL. A single provider has been beneficial in keeping the services running well, and with one support team to deal with.

DreamHost review by Cristine D.
Cristine D.

"Dreamhost Meets our Needs"

What do you like best?

So far, DreamHost has been a reliable service. We haven't experienced any downtime on our website. The billing and invoicing are easy to understand, and the pricing is modest. Also, I appreciate the newsletters; they always offer something new to learn (ex: webstreaming) and you get a sense of the light DreamHost company culture.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing. We decided to go with DreamHost at the advice of our web designers. They praised its reliability and efficiency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Again, this came to us highly recommended. No complaints from us!

We sought out DreamHost when we were redesigning our website. We needed to find a new hosting service, and this was highly recommended by our web designers.

DreamHost review by Ben M.
Ben M.

"Not the most reliable hosting client"

What do you like best?

Straight forward integration for Wordpress site hosting.

What do you dislike?

Not great for keeping emails synced across devices, or for simple things like deleting emails from a phone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Does provide a decent level of hosting for web and email, but rising costs and some annoyances with the email system make it worthwhile looking around at alternate solutions.

Hosting for website and email

DreamHost review by Duane W.
Duane W.

"Best customer service I've ever experienced"

What do you like best?

Not only is hosting affordable, their customer service is insanely awesome. They go so far out of their way to help you. Twice my website got messed up m by my own doing and general lack of web knowledge, and even though it had nothing to do with the hosting - they went ahead and fixed my coding!

What do you dislike?

Price increases after the first year's promotional price but the cost is still a good value.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't regret going with a company with competent and helpful customer service agents who go above and beyond to solve any and all issues.

Unlimited web hosting across my several sites for one yearly fee, hosted emails, and easy domain renewal

DreamHost review by Antonio M.
Antonio M.

"Where dreams come true"

What do you like best?

Dreamhost is an outstanding hosting service that offers a variety of products that fulfill amost every need. From shared hosting to cloud servers it delivers easy to setup enviroments and config tools that will truly make dream come true. We specially like the vps and their pricing, we can't complain about the uptime and quality of service.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike with dreamhost, very satisfied with the service

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong with their services, it's a blind buy if you are new to the hosting world.

Shared hosting, cloud computing, virtual private servers. Easy to setup ssh credentials and mail management.

DreamHost review by Nathan A.
Nathan A.

"Dreamhost is a solid webhost with some great features."

What do you like best?

I love that I can keep everything in one place--domains, hosting, database management, etc. DreamHost's one-click installs are amazing. DreamHost provides free shared hosting and one free domain name to non-profits. DreamHost supports the new free Let's Encrypt ssl certificate authority. Generally speaking, DreamHost support is very good.

What do you dislike?

Setting things up in DreamHost can be tricky sometimes. Also, once I asked support to delete one of my virtual machines, and they deleted the wrong one. That was a really bad mistake.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you know what you're doing before you do it--you can mess things up. If you're hosing something for which a one-click install is available (like WordPress), use it. You'll get automatic updates that way.

DreamHost review by Stefan B.
Stefan B.

"Used it for two years, but speed was not as it should, from EU"

What do you like best?

Very extensive control panel, with one-click-installs, shell access and multiple ftp users. While still shared hosting, the fine-grained access on several levels at once, made it very flexible in multiple scenarios.

Practically unlimited bandwidth and web space and databases. Very generous storage and usage restrictions.

Cheap price (at the time), including one domain name. So good value-for money.

What do you dislike?

Extensive control made the control panel very complex and detailed. Often had to look around to find what I needed and when changes occured, it wasn't always clear how to get to certain sections. I could literally get lost in the control panel at times.

Speed issues: Hosting a Drupal site with the majority of users from EU showed that page load times were considerable. I learned that it might be due to quite DB-intensive nature of Drupal and the fact the DB and web pages were running on different machines. But since the DB and site were fairly small, this was concerning me, as it would hold-down possible growth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I found the price fair at the time for all that was provided. I was a user on my brother's account (was allowed, as multiple users could be defined and roles managed). However, due to speed issues, I switched to a local web host, which has all I need (although more basic than Dreamhost).

Me and my brother have shared a Dreamhost package for a while. He used it for his website development business and I had my personal domain and a few smaller sites. While the functionality was extensive with good control, for a low price, I had problems with Drupal hosting and especially website response time.

Eventually, we stopped the account and moved to a local hosting company, which is somewhat more restrictive in storage and bandwidth, but which helped us and had a more usable speed here in EU.

DreamHost review by Adam B.
Adam B.

"DreamHost is a great all-around hosting service"

What do you like best?

DreamHost is a great inexpensive solution for shared hosting. They offer VPS services for more advanced needs. Their control panel is simple to use. They have the ability to run Passenger for support of Ruby, Python, and NodeJS sites. Their one-click installs work great for clients with simple needs. Email hosting is solid and does a good job of eliminating spam. Support for LetsEncrypt SSL certificates is a great way to deploy SSL across the board for no additional cost.

What do you dislike?

I've never had a real complaint with DreamHost while using them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not sure what kind of hosting needs you may need DreamHost is excellent place to start. They offer a wide range of services at very affordable prices.

I use DreamHost has a hosting provider for some of my clients. For many of my clients the cost and features are in the sweetspot for their needs.

DreamHost review by Michael K.
Michael K.

"Long lasting relationship with some growing pains"

What do you like best?

Their dashboard is completely custom and not cluttered like other systems like cPanel. Their navigation makes sense and generally allows easy customization for whatever I need with my shared hosting plan.

You can enable specific IP(s) to connect directly with your (shared) MySQL database server. This is very useful for external applications and/or using your own database administration utility; large backups or restores, etc.

You're allowed UNLIMITED sub-domains on any of your hosted domains. This is very useful for logical segmentation of your web application. Or binding a sub-domain like 'svn.yourdomain.com' to a freely hosted subversion repository. Which, is another great feature for anyone wanting their own private revision control system.

Cron jobs are fully supported. Fair warning: it requires a little knowledge with Linux file system, being that everything is hosted in a Linux environment. It's not that difficult to figure out once you have something up and running.

However, if you're getting nowhere fast, they do have a decent and somewhat consistently updated wiki that gives you basic instructions on how to setup virtually anything in your account.

There is also a decent status dashboard page you can use to monitor degraded services or subscribe to their twitter support account for updates.

What do you dislike?

Whenever you setup a database host name, they force an instance of phpMyAdmin to load if a connection is established on port 80[/443]. This may be desirable for some novice users, but I see it as a serious security risk. This basically invites hackers to attempt a brute force attack on the ENTIRE shared MySQL database server(s).

Sometimes settings are not fully applied to your account if you're making rapid changes to similar services. This may require hitting Save on some settings, again. This can be a pain when you're not sure if the changes not taking affect are because of a misconfiguration on your part or because of the aforementioned.

Despite being on a shared hosting plan, service can still be somewhat slow. Response times are pretty quick, but overall system resources on the server processing any of my PHP scripts seems constantly taxed. So, it would seem that their could be more policing of other users that may be abusing shared resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect Amazon grade web services from Dreamhost. They're a decent web hosting provider, but if you're designing something to continuously scale, I don't feel Dreamhost would be right for you.

DreamHost review by User in Computer Software

"A good - if pricey - hosting hosting provider"

What do you like best?

Value for money is high; the standard package includes unlimited disk space, unlimited MySQL databases, unlimited domain slots, and very generous bandwidth. A decent selection of one-click-install applications is also available, and they work well, with minimal configuration and automatic updates. Setting up mailboxes is fairly easy, as is setting up SSH and FTP access for multiple users. Adding a new domain is quick and painless. Recently, they have added two-factor authentication for extra safety.

What do you dislike?

In the last few years, the prices have gone up a bit and, while there's still good value for money, it could be cheaper. Another thing that is missing in this modern world is support for technologies besides PHP, most notably NodeJS and MongoDB (or any no-SQL database, for that matter). The webmail interfaces could also do with a little bit of a touch-up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use DreamHost if you're aiming to create a classic online application. The support is great and the uptime is spectacular. The standard package should cover most needs, but if you need to go for something more exotic, you should probably spring for a virtual server.

DreamHost review by Administrator in Graphic Design
Administrator in Graphic Design

"Not the best webhosting"

What do you like best?

When I first signed up they had a deal for a lifetime price. Since then the prices have gone up but their service is still just okay.

What do you dislike?

The layout is outdated and not very user friendly, although customer service responds usually within 48 hours, they aren't very helpful and will usually just give you a link to figure it out on your own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They are making improvements but are still behind companies like WP engine, spend the extra money for better service.

I have a retail and service based business and am always struggling getting wordpress themes to work smoothly with dreamhost. I constantly have issues that are dreamhost settings related and end up having to wait days to have them fixed.

DreamHost review by Eva S.
Eva S.

"Have been with Dreamhost for years and not going anywhere soon"

What do you like best?

They are easy to use, good support and uptime has been consistently good.

What do you dislike?

I have had some issues with slow loading on one particular site. It seems to be related to the actual server it is living on, but we haven't been able to resolve it yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They are a good, price competitive host.

I host all of my own sites and most of my clients' sites on Dreamhost.

DreamHost review by Justin C.
Justin C.

"Decent hosting, but has gotten exponentially better"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of setting up a mail account and getting shell access to a server

What do you dislike?

I feel like there are too many features that I don't actually need

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dreamhost in the past got a lot of flack for being a bad hosting provider but they've made incredible strides in not only their experience but also the structural integrity of their software. Its also very reasonably priced.

It provides simple database and file hosting as well as me never having to configure an email server

DreamHost review by Adam F.
Adam F.

"Long Time User, Love These Guys"

What do you like best?

They are owned by their employees, US-based, and they are amazingly fast on fixing the few issues I've had with them.

What do you dislike?

Their 1-Click Install list has not changed in the last few years. In general, they seem to be a little behind in adopting new technologies, but not far enough to affect my workflow. About the time I'm looking into upgrading, they're upgrading their systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We've had a fantastic experience with DreamHost, I've been their client since 2006, and am so happy with our decision.

They are a hosting company, so they solve our need for hosting. We're a design company, and the plan we have with them allows us to host all our client's sites for a small fee.

DreamHost review by Steven S.
Steven S.

"My go-to recommendation for shared hosting "

What do you like best?

Their basic shared hosting product is perfect for low to mid-traffic WordPress sites. The custom service is very good. They use their own control panel, so it takes a little bit to find things, but everything works reliably at a reasonable price.

What do you dislike?

The first step in setting up MySQL access is to add a DNS entry for the MySQL server. The update to DNS should be pushed immediately; it takes a while, which breaks the flow of setting up a new site.

DreamHost review by Edward F.
Edward F.

"Very reasonably priced for an established web host"

What do you like best?

Dreamhost's control panel allows you to customize and make changes for almost anything you ever need including handling domain records, web server configuration, etc. The customer service is excellent too, usually responding to major issues in a short amount of time without needing any kind of extra cost contract for quick responses.

What do you dislike?

The control panel looks archaic, it could use a little more redesign, maybe some options to hide advanced configuration for users that don't need to see everything. The monthly pricing for various services is good, but I think it could be lower these days with how much competition there is.

DreamHost review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Positive experience, solid hosting"

What do you like best?

Unlike other hosting companies, when you host with DreamHost, you also get one free domain which is a little icing on the cake.

What do you dislike?

I haven't ran into to many problems, but I have limited experience with their support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like Go Daddy, there are promos to take advantage of when purchasing for the first time.

I use DreamHost for my business and my clients so we have a reliable hosting network to depend on to keep our sites running.

DreamHost review by Chris B.
Chris B.

"Cost effective web hosting"

What do you like best?

Lower costs, amazing support, easy to set up, domain name included in hosting plan. Simple one click install of Wordpress, Joomla, and other web applications

What do you dislike?

Uptime was not as good as other hosts I've used. It wasn't necessarily bad but not perfect either.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DreamHost is a great hosting option and even offers a nice affiliate system that can offset some of the costs.

Dreamhost is a lower cost web hosting that offers reliable services.

DreamHost review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Very good host, very fair prices"

What do you like best?

Excellent rebuilt control panel, very easy to use VPS management and setup. The support ticket system is excellent, and they have done a great job making the control panel easy to use-- it's a long ways from a "CPanel", it's a true custom interface.

What do you dislike?

At one point they had frequent issues with capacity and downtime, particularly of email systems. They also had issues with DDOS attacks. These issues seem to be pretty much in the past however.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've been with them on and off for almost 15 years. In general, they are excellent, though I always say every host is good until they're not. But Dreamhost seems to live up to their marketing.

DreamHost review by User in Computer Software

"Web Hosting"

What do you like best?

I've used Dreamhost for many different projects. They've been easy to setup, easy to register a domain and easy to navigate and provide great support. Lots of security features. great domain-management tools. Good Unlimited data transfers per month. overall its great.

What do you dislike?

Transferring domains do seem to take some time. I'm not sure if this is a Dreamhost issue or an issue with how domain transfer work. They don't have any built in site building tools like some other hosting companies provide. The email hosting is terrible. Accessing email online is not very user freindly.

Easy to use for small websites. Fast to get started.

DreamHost review by Shannon F.
Shannon F.

"Very Happy w/ Dreamhost Product"

What do you like best?

They offer a well priced deal for triennial hosting packages.

What do you dislike?

Their dashboard could be more organized.

Provides my organization the ability to oversee our own hosting without much technological background.

DreamHost review by Administrator in Human Resources
Administrator in Human Resources

"Web hosting"

What do you like best?

Good support, I do have website problems. I am not the IT manager but I do put content on our website. Good price. Pretty reliable hosting.

What do you dislike?

it would be nice to be able to register multiple domains at once.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its affordable and relaible.

We are able to get our content out the public in an eye appealing manor.

DreamHost review by Daniel J.
Daniel J.

"Not Too Bad"

What do you like best?

I have used a few different hosting providers and Dreamhost is a decent option. They offer good domain registration and hosting. It is nice to be able to do both in the same place if possible, and their system makes it easy enough to do just that. Their control panel is easier to use than some providers, but it can still be a little complicated at times.

What do you dislike?

I personally like buying domains from GoDaddy or Network Solutions and I'm currently using BlueHost to host my domains. While there are pros and cons to each, that's just the setup I have going right now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out their pricing and compare it to other solutions like GoDaddy, BlueHost, NetworkSolutions, etc. See what works best for you.

Learning about DreamHost?

* We monitor all DreamHost reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
DreamHost