D&B Hoovers

3.9

Anchored by Dun & Bradstreet’s powerful D-U-N-S® Numbering System, D&B Hoovers (formerly Avention) uses sophisticated analytics to deliver a sales acceleration solution packed with insight.

Work for D&B Hoovers?

Learning about D&B Hoovers?

D&B Hoovers Reviews

Showing 278 D&B Hoovers reviews
D&B Hoovers review by Cheri D.
Cheri D.

"Dubed by D&B/Hoovers"

What do you like best?

the list of a companies structure and locations was helpful.

What do you dislike?

No customer service, no training, no follow up, seems like a beta database service, but sold as a tool for salespeople. Emails are incorrect or at least 4 years old. Phone numbers are incorrect. They say you can send them back for credit - never happens. When you download the wrong list, no follow up to help you get the credits back. Expensive and NOT worth a dime for contacts or emails. Can Not cancel the contract, they have an "I got you clause"

Recommendations to others considering the product

DO NOT sign the contract. Then they feel like they have you and that's it. No support, A lot of Money for old outdated info.

I tried using it to find and identify new clients. The information in the database is so old that the people who answer the phone have never heard of the people you ask for, again and again. LinkedIn has more updated info and the LinkedIn connection also comes up incorrect as the names are so old, they've already changed jobs several times.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about D&B Hoovers
D&B Hoovers review by Erin S.
Erin S.

"This provides a good system to target one-at-a-time sales calls/emails."

What do you like best?

You can search nearly any company in your industry, you can pull lists of whatever criteria you need. The data is there and mostly up-to-date.

What do you dislike?

You cannot pull email campaign lists without paying on top of your membership price. This is particularly annoying because we purchased the service thinking we could access those and run targeted email marketing campaigns from them. We still could, but it takes a lot of data entry - you can see the email in the web portal, but not on your list until you pay extra.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware of your limitations and abilities before signing your contract. Make doubly sure the service you're paying to have is exactly what you need. We were unaware we could not download lists to include the email address unless we paid extra (.50 an email minimum of 5000).

Prospecting is much easier knowing who the decision-makers are in advance. This gets you directly to the person you're trying to reach - be it their direct line, their email, or just knowing their name and title.

What Sales Intelligence solution do you use?

D&B Hoovers review by Carie R.
Carie R.

"Excellent tool for prospecting and market research"

What do you like best?

The "Build a list" function is very valuable. The wide variety of search criteria is incredibly valuable when I am looking for specific types of companies. It is a great time saver to scale the search to just what I am looking for rather than having to filter through big data on my own. I also love that my searches can be saved, allowing me to execute them again later. It would be nice if Hoovers would identify changes for me in the results since my last search so I could easily identify new opportunities or changes in the market.

What do you dislike?

The contact information is not reliable. When I look up companies where I know the contact names and info, I often find it's missing or is outdated. Because of this, when I am researching new names I never rely on the contact information provided. I supplement with the company website or LinkedIn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better contact information for companies would be fantastic! It would also be helpful to have insight into how the NAICS info was sourced. I often find conflicts between the NAICS in Hoover’s and what my company has determined through other resources; including company financials.

Hoovers helped me conduct research that allowed me to gain a greater understanding of my sales market. Knowing the industry makeup and average revenue size of companies in my footprint has helped me be more strategic in sales efforts. At a broader level, this insight has allowed our leadership to make better decisions about market coverage needs and sales goals.

D&B Hoovers review by Kalib L.
Kalib L.

"Dont waste your time or money"

What do you like best?

The fact that they lied to me into a contract and can make me pay continually even though Ive tried cancelling through my bank.

What do you dislike?

Bad data and they lock you in a contract before you find out how bad it is then they apologies when they continue to charge you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't do business with D & B Hoovers. They will take your money and apologies at the same time.

I don't have time for this so it should say something. I'm dedicating my week to bad reviews so if you see a repeat that's why. I told them I was a startup and that it was important for us to have good information, especially at the price they offered. They took advantage and put us together on a CONTRACT. I brought to their attention the bad data when I first joined and they wanted US to correct the bad INFO and said there was nothing they were willing to do. Ive wasted thousands of dollars having my staff working on the data to find nothing in return and have been BOUND to a one year Contract when we shouldn't be. We are better off googling updated information for free than logging into hoovers to find the OLD info. This might work for someone, but the salesperson should of done a better job pre-qualing. It put us in a bad spot.

D&B Hoovers review by Janis N.
Janis N.

"Team Lead Greater China Regional Data Mgmt"

What do you like best?

large collection of corporate data for sales enablement

web based , can be use outside of corporate network

stable system , it is always accessible 24x7

friendly user interface, easy to view corporate families, allow customisable of filed display so that for example if I want to see by address location and the different SIC/Industry of the subsidiaries I can do so easily

What do you dislike?

have to keep log in throughout the day. There seem to be a license purchase require for other end users in SAP and thus it might prevent more users, overall should purchase all unlimited users license to have wider audience in SAP, also i lost the ability to have a D&B DUNS vs SAP CRM account family tree report that has been available on D&B 360 before, this function is useful validation account hierarchy correctness and completeness for our SCP (Top customers) accounts

Recommendations to others considering the product

plan for enablement sessions to different type of users. provide use cases esp to sales person

Account name address validation,

Account Corporate families

Account Industries SIC code

D&B Hoovers review by Fadi A.
Fadi A.

"I am a Sales rep at a Technology company."

What do you like best?

Easy access to company information globally and instantly.

It is a source of truth and provides me with account insights and contact information as well as industry wide insights.

Getting daily updates and changes in the industry and company landscape.

What do you dislike?

Data is not accurate sometimes. Company information is not accurate specially number of employees.

Sometimes we can see that data is being entered randomly on some accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it because it helps you prospect and understand industries.

I find Hoovers a useful solution as it helps me with Sales intelligence and provides me with insights on accounts i am prospecting into.

Easy access to company information globally and instantly.

Sometimes we can see that data is being entered randomly on some accounts.

some of the business problems they are solving are giving you the possibility to find the right contacts to target as well as learning more on industries and companies.

Understanding their business model, revenue operations.

Getting daily updates and changes in the industry and company landscape.

Finding the right contacts to target as well as learning more on industries and companies.

Understanding their business model, revenue.

Getting daily updates and changes in the industry and company landscape.

Smart insights being pushed towards their user.

D&B Hoovers review by Kelly F.
Kelly F.

"Prospective Company Research"

What do you like best?

Snapshot of company information that help me further profile (address, company revenues, import/export, ownership/parent company, UCC's, industry NAICS, key competitors, news, etc.) and determine if the company would be a good prospect. I LOVE the 'get company alerts' feature. I also appreciate when searching for a company, you can see where they are located within the search feature. This is helpful when prospecting companies in a specific region/state.

What do you dislike?

A similar tool provides a clearer/user friendly view of parent company/family hierarchy information and contact information for key people at the company. I also had issues, at first, with using my credits for contact information (which was due to how my user profile was setup within our group of two users). But when I was finally able to use the credits, the contact information wasn't always accurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The tool allows me to narrow down my prospecting efforts to companies that are truly a better fit for our solutions/services

I'm able to gather information about a company in a concise format which allows me to truly determine if they would be a fit for our solutions/services, thus the tool helps me save time in the long run. I also benefit from gathering information that is not easily found publicly. Lastly, the company alerts provide real time information that I may not have non about otherwise.

D&B Hoovers review by Paul F.
Paul F.

"Useful service with up to date information."

What do you like best?

The account hierarchy is very nice to have and is formatted well. There is usually information that will help such as email formatting (first.last@domain.com) that will help get additional contacts. The software is very useful when paired with linkedin and other software like salesforce.

What do you dislike?

Search function can't be saved and needs to have some ease of use revisited. Some functions don't make sense, but you quickly learn what is necessary and what isn't. For example, when you sign in there are a few boxes trying to get you to do some searches and whatnot. I find that searching the company name and coupling the search with 3rd party info (Linkedin, again) is very useful. You can confirm a lot of information with avention, but sometimes it's just entirely off. Had a 300M company listed with 2 employees and 200k in revenue - so it's not 100%, but some people base all information on it making internal nightmares occur.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the search function a little easier to use, get more accurate SMB data.

Insight into the most lucrative parts of a business.

D&B Hoovers review by Matt H.
Matt H.

"Outdated and unethical. Beware the auto renewal!"

What do you like best?

In the long run, nothing much. We were looking for a mailing list that had relevant, updated and comprehensive listings. In our experience, Hoovers did not provide that experience.

What do you dislike?

The contacts were largely outdated. The contract does mention that it will auto renew but offers no way to cancel the auto renewal. The company refused to let us out of the contract the day it auto renewed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My company was in need of a mailing list service and we made the mistake of going with Dunn and Bradstreet Hoovers. I have found their lists to be horrible outdated. I recently made a mailing of 475 marketing kits using contacts from my D&B list. Ten percent of them were returned to sender right out of the gate. Of the rest, nearly half of them our sales reps followed through with were not at the location we were given.

But that's not bad enough. We did not realize initially that there was one line in our contract that said it would be auto renewed for a second year. We did not notice that until it was auto renewed. I contacted my rep at D&B the day it was auto renewed and told him that we did not find value in D&B's services and wanted out of our contract. He refused to cancel our contract. There was nowhere in the contract telling us how to negate the auto renewal. Now we are stuck with another $5k for a basically worthless service.

I understand that the auto renewal line was in our original contract, but I do have to ask what kind of company bases its revenue models on suckers like us who didn't see it on time. I would like to think that a reputable company and worthwhile service would stand behind the value of its products. Clearly Dunn and Bradstreet is not such a company.

Our contract created more problems than it solved to the tune of $10,000.

D&B Hoovers review by Mohammad S.
Mohammad S.

"Hoovers is a great research tool"

What do you like best?

Hoovers is excellent when I am trying to research and industry, prospect, or looking for leads because of the level of detail it provides. I especially like the "Sell To This Industry" section because it offers tools that provide needed insight to understand the customers industry, trends, challenges, pain points, forecast, what's important to each executive title in that company, and more.

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure if there is anything I dislike at this time because the tool seems to do the job I need it to perform. I will say though one thing I dislike is that companies in the size range of $10-30MM are not always accurate or available to search.

The things I find important are: Company contacts, what's important to executive, what financial challenges is this industry facing, who are the competitors to that customer, and more. The problem I am solving is to help companies find betters ways to improve their working capital, drive improved efficiency in their financial processes, and mitigate financial risk exposure.

D&B Hoovers review by User in Financial Services

"It helps me prepare for meetings, providing information all in one spot."

What do you like best?

It provides me industry insight for my customers. It helps me understand what they are thinking about and what they may be considering. I love the section that provides information from executives in any particular industry. It allows me to understand what the CFO might be thinking about prior to a meeting.

What do you dislike?

I work with smaller customers and many of the customer specific information is either not available or not accurate. I mainly rely on Hoovers for industry analysis, not customer analysis. If it was able to provide more company insight, that would really allow me to maximize my time with Hoovers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This biggest help would be to provide more company insight for smaller busiensses, $5MM to $15MM. The information in this business segment is usually either not available or is not accurate. While the industry insight is extremely helpful, more information on the company would really allow this site to be close to a one-stop shop for preparing for a meeting. Another recommendation would be to include insight when it compares the large corporate customers versus smaller business. Some of the trends and information really only apply to large corporate customers.

I user Hoovers to help understand my customers' industry, the challenges the face, and it helps me bring insight. Since I cover many different industries and do not have the time to stay on top of all of the the trends in every industry, Hoovers has allowed me to continue to stay up-to-date with the trends and concerns that executives have in every industry.

D&B Hoovers review by Anthony K.
Anthony K.

"Extremely useful data with inefficient support"

What do you like best?

The data is mostly very good. We are able to vastly reduce our research times and presort qualified leads in a way that would not otherwise be possible. Having the full company hierarchy is extremely useful when it is present.

The ability to submit change requests/data issue notifications is great. You guys really made it into a very simple process.

As users get used to the features they are better at approaching companies with relevant information. They have been coming off as much more educated regarding potential clients.

What do you dislike?

Terrible redundancy processes. Who deletes 11,000,000 records without keeping track of where those records are being sent to. On top of that, you want to charge your users for the mistakes you made in this process? We finally got it sorted out after several month of account removals and duplicate merges. They also need to do a better job of tracking business relationships. Those are managed correctly for the most part, but there are a lot that are not correctly tied together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure it fits your business needs. It is extremely easy to get overloaded by prospects when using this, so having a target customer in mind is key.

We are increasing our number of qualified leads. One of the nice things we had on the hoovers site was the ability to see who our competitors were working with, and it appears to be even easier on the new platform.

D&B Hoovers review by Chanel W.
Chanel W.

"Helpful when prospecting and trying to find the right email format for a contact. "

What do you like best?

List building on D&B is great. I use it once a week in trying to prospect into new accounts. Very easily, I can use the drop down menu to hone in on my territory and industry, in addition I can ensure that the company is a good fit by narrowing in by employee count.

I'm also a very big fan of just how visually appealing D&B is. It's easy to understand and buttons are self explanatory.

The last thing I'd like to mention is the ability to export. This makes my day to day job so much easier.

What do you dislike?

The difficult part about working with D&B is sometimes there are duplicates of company's and i'll have to go through each and every one to find the right company with the most recent information. It would also be helpful if company addresses were updated and we receive email notifications if such information were to change.

I'm solving problems with how I prospect into clients. When I initially started my role at Infor I was in healthcare and then transitioned into Hospitality. D&B has provided me with industry knowledge and even gives me the latest news on the accounts im prospecting into.

D&B Hoovers review by User in Computer Software

"Pertinent, Often Reliable Information "

What do you like best?

Easy to use search features. Information is usually accurate within a year. Ample number of companies covering all revenue sizes.

What do you dislike?

At least within the Avention search feature, while it correctly order the primary company first in the search results, it does make it a little confusing when every location for a company is displayed as its own result. While the information is usually accurate, I'd say 30% of the time some important stat is incorrect, missing, or out of date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot of features that I haven't even touched (list building, creating hot-links on your desktop page, and keeping up to date on industry news) so I'd recommend giving those all a try if you don't already have a similar method. When making a search, I'd recommend not clicking on any of the suggested links that popup form the search bar, but instead type out the full name and then hit enter so you can get a more accurate representation of all the ranked results.

Usually gathering important facts (revenue, employees, HQ location, corporate phone lines, email addresses.) Some in terms of benefits beyond information, it makes the day to day of gathering that information very quick.

D&B Hoovers review by User in Internet

"D&B provides the cleanest, highest quality data for US based accounts"

What do you like best?

Easily identify the employee size, revenue, industry and key executives in accounts that you are prospecting into. D&B Hoovers is a great option for companies who are doing a high volume of prospecting.

What do you dislike?

It would be more helpful if there was detailed contact information for the executives in the accounts, including name, phone number, and e-mail address, rather than just the company information and name and titles of Executives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think D&B Hoovers is a great option for customers trying to identify target prospects and key decision makers within their accounts. If you are using a CRM, this data can easily be imported to minimize the efforts around manual data entry.

D&B Hoovers helps us identify which accounts are ideally suited for the products and services which we sell into. We use this for territory planning and account distribution.

D&B Hoovers review by Christopher K. H.
Christopher K. H.

"Great tool for researching prospects."

What do you like best?

D&B Hoovers is a mandatory tool that my business development officers use to research potential clients before meeting with them. It allows us to minimize potential errors in research and deepen our conversations with our clients. In turn it makes us the industry specialists that our clients are looking for in a new bank.

What do you dislike?

There are minimal dislikes to this platform. But if I had a magic wand, I would like to create a more tailored and presentable print out of detailed information on our clients then what is available today.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have employees that are going to use it. This will justify the price.

Business problems that are solved are around UCC liens and propensity to borrow. This is a great feature for more specialists who are looking for specific clients to target.

D&B Hoovers review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Commercial Real Estate
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Commercial Real Estate

"Great Experience - slightly dated"

What do you like best?

Hoovers provides everything that our office needs to chase leads as well as helping us to get to know our clients better.

What do you dislike?

I feel as though the system is a little dated and there can be some things that are cleaned up in terms of information and leads.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have a great handle of potential in the market and to be able to sign leases for them, this is a great product to use for doing business.

We are solving problems to better understand the credit history of our clients. We have also benefited in getting to know our clients better. The other benefits that we have received are being able to understand our clients in real time and to be able to discover other leads for companies within the area.

D&B Hoovers review by Mackenzie S.
Mackenzie S.

"Not as good as ZoomInfo"

What do you like best?

The platform was aesthetically pleasing and user-friendly. The sales rep reassured me on multiple occasion that their data was more than just data from scraping a website...

What do you dislike?

D&B did not have as much up-to-date data as other programs I have used, like Zoom Info, they also didn't have a good/easy search capability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My company ended up using ZoomInfo over D&B because D&B did not provide the best service support and did not have the same capabilities as Zoom. BUT most importantly, it did not have as much accurate information as ZoomInfo did.

My agency was in search of a program that would help us create a large database of influencers in a particular region. But we ended up selecting a different program because this one did not hold up by comparison.

D&B Hoovers review by Andrew B.
Andrew B.

"Excellent resource for prospecting"

What do you like best?

Contact information is what I like best about D&B. Combining the contact information from D&B with another tool like LinkedIn gives me a powerful insight into who's working at a company and what their position is.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that information is sometimes outdated. Obviously it's hard to keep such a large database completely up to date, but it's a little frustrating to deal with old information.

D&B helps me verify information in our own CRM system. I also discovered the "company news" section which allows me to reach out to prospects with more information about a company and what's on a customers mind,

D&B Hoovers review by Joseph S.
Joseph S.

"Accuracy & Agility to Data that Matters"

What do you like best?

Picking a third party data provider from players at the enterprise level is like choosing between Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper. They all offer a thirst quenching feeling and whatever you choose, your needs will most likely be met with the guidance of the 80-20 rule. With Avention, they work with you to ensure that you're not just purchasing products but solutions. They want to impact your company where it matters. I saw this shift when they re-branded from OneSource and became Avention. Here's what I like about them:

1) Browser tool - The business browser is very intuitive and empowering especially for Marketing and Sales business cases. It is instinctive to use and jam-packed with information. A user can perform research on company, contact, and Industry levels and also create reports with ease. They have included analysis summaries like SWOT, Industry analysis and other reports from various partners. The depth of data within enterprise companies is just staggering.

2) Agility - Avention takes customer success very seriously. This ranges from simple data questions to strategic data management solutions. My Avention Account team are both eager and solutionary in their apporach. The customer success team replying on the feedback button is no different. Within hours, they would have responded to your inquiry or data change request.

3) One stop shopping - Avention could easily be a single source of third party data and solutions. With Avention on board, I don't see them as vendors but partners and consultants to guide us with our data needs.

4) Technology and integration - Just ask about their "Mash-up" for your CRM.

5) Transparency - They know their strengths and do not shy away from their weaknesses as a company.

What do you dislike?

Like most data providers, Avention isn't a silver bullet solution to your data needs. Some opportunities Avention should take into heart are the following:

1) Contact population - Their company data far outweighs their contact prowess. There's a lot of contact data available out there. They need to catch up on the contact side. I believe the Doublle-OptIn laws are providing a hindrance at this progress but there needs to be action to enable data consumption that works with current policies.

2) Government details (US and International) - This can use improving and enrichment

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not only the number of records that a company has in its inventory that counts. Avention offers data and services where it matters.

We were looking for a third party data source to enable our Sales Operations and Business Generation teams as we evolve our data strategy as a company. Avention helped us march down that path feeding us data consumption models that are beneficial in the interim and in the long run.

There are solutions that we needed currently not available even with other vendors. Avention, took a team to help us device a plan and a possible solution for contact and org data management.

D&B Hoovers review by Jason G.
Jason G.

"New user to the OneSource platform"

What do you like best?

Making connections with prospects is getting harder and harder. With people less likely to pick up their phones, we had to change our approach on how to reach the right person. OneSource has made it easier for us to build ideal profiles and lists based on triggers like installed technologies and business signals. These features help us build more strategic email, direct mail, and cold calling campaigns. In addition, we've enjoyed how social media is being leveraged through OneSource to us build faster relationships with prospects though vehicles like LinkedIn.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. The latest updates make for a much more intuitive user experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask yourself if having solid data is important to your sales and marketing process. If so, you should strongly consider this platform.

Improving close rates, increasing hit rates, building relationships, In our business the foundation of every campaign is the data being used. You can have the best product in the world and the most finely tuned message to market your product, but data makes it all possible. With the ability to build profiles, smart lists and sales triggers we spend less time hunting for the right person on a cold call and more time marketing to people who have a higher likelihood of purchasing based on the profiles we've created. Across the board we've seen conversation to close ratios improve on our calling campaigns and open and click rates improve on email marketing campaigns.

D&B Hoovers review by Executive Sponsor in Financial Services
Executive Sponsor in Financial Services

"Division Sales Manager"

What do you like best?

connections and ease of use. Easy to focus in on what is important to your connections, who's viewed your posts and what impact are you having?

What do you dislike?

am currently using this as a sales tool. expanding from using just for connections. Wanting to be able to track who's following me, who's interested in my posts, what content is gaining traction and how to use that insight for opening new doors for a banking relationship. So far, I'm liking all of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

premium version vs. basic gives more detailed information regarding who's following your profile and who's interested in what you're posting.

Sales contacts, new client acquisition potential, telling our story to a larger audience and gaining the traction needed directly with people that are already showing an interest.

D&B Hoovers review by User

"Terrible customer service - Be careful they will try to trap you in a contract and take your money "

What do you like best?

Horrible customer services. All they are trying to do is take your money.

What do you dislike?

I signed up for the service and found that the contacts we were looking for either cannot be found or the contact information provided is incorrect. At the end of one year when I requested to cancel my services 57 days before it was up for renewal, DNB stated a clause in the contract where it states that we had to cancel 60 days before the contract is up and forcibly made us renew for another year. The quality of this portal and the records are poor. I would caution people not to get hood winked by this company and sign up for the this portal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please stay away from this product and this company. They are trying to fleece customers.

Terrible service. Poor customer service. This product is not worth it.

D&B Hoovers review by Susanne W.
Susanne W.

"Great tool for Sales as well as Procurement"

What do you like best?

Data quality and list generation. The company data is rich, and the company hierarchy is great, even includes mergers / acquisitions that are under way. List generation offers the ability to save searches, list formats / templates, as well as complete lists, which makes searches nicely repeatable. Reusable templates save a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

News search / coverage. News that is displayed for a company is oftentimes irrelevant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great mix of list building features, paired with company profiles and industry reports. Weaker on news than news aggregators, but great ease of use. The database contains fewer companies than some competitors, but I have found the data (especially for non-US companies) to be richer and more current than the data provided by others.

We use Avention for lead generation and to give our account managers company profiles, so that they walk into conversations with clients well-informed. We also use it on the Procurement side for supplier identification. Strong company descriptions, paired with excellent list building features and the ability to download the information in a custom format cut down on research time, and give us the information we need quickly.

D&B Hoovers review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Sales Help with D&B!"

What do you like best?

Able to search the database for lead contact information - title, mailing address, email address based on information available on the internet. Able to find out a company's HQ address, revenue & asset information. LinkedIn provides a lot of general information, but often lacks contact details (you are forced to contact that person via LinkedIn only).

What do you dislike?

Depending on what license you have - limited results. Also, I believe D&B is only available in certain markets such as North America and Canada. Would be great if it could provide information for other markets as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you take part in the introductory course, which will show you how to use the application. It is an online webinar that you register for once you have access. Lasts 20 minutes.

Research the different packages and options offered by D&B to make sure that you have access to what you need. Price is dependant upon that.

Saving time searching for leads, contact information etc. Saving money because you are not sending marketing materials to the wrong address. I am able to export the information into excel or into Salesforce. Easy to use and you can have several people using the license (just cannot login at the exact same time).

D&B Hoovers review by Sanket P.
Sanket P.

"Avention Platform - User Friendly, Comprehensive, Fairly Accurate"

What do you like best?

Avention is like packaged solution with all the information you need for companies at one place. Filters, Advanced Search, Ease of Use and Availability of Information are key strengths of the product. Features such as SWOT, Signals, Triggers are very handy to give holistic view of company and will help you to explore opportunities at the company.

CRUSH reports - additional service with Avention is detailed report of company with information on organizational structures, corporate strategies, etc.

Spending and Risk insights are giving information on company financial and spending trends.

Monitoring the Usage of Tool - Site Administration functionality gives information on how effectively we are using the tool.

What do you dislike?

They are growing in the regions - Asia, Middle East. They have less data about companies in this region.

Accuracy of contacts is concerned when considering contacts from companies other than Fortune 1000 and Global 5000 companies.

OneStop Reports are giving details about company but for contact information of prospects you have to buy another service. It should be combined.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate your needs vs Features of Avention

We are using it for Marketing, Inside Sales and Sales functions.

We leverage industry and company reports for sales intelligence and account mapping.

This tool is helpful for Outbound Marketing also.

Search functionality is impressive and very helpful for searching people, company, triggers and industry reports.

D&B Hoovers review by Jacques G.
Jacques G.

"Better than the rest"

What do you like best?

First of all, our account rep is out of this world. He understands my business and understands me as a buyer.

From the tool, I love the corporate hierarchy function as well as the reports that are offered on public companies. It really helps us connect the proverbial dots when doing sales research. I also like the fact that you can have it integrated with SFDC as it's own tab, rather than going to another window to play with the company data.

What do you dislike?

As a Canadian customer, I would like to see Canadian payment options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a data tool, Avention is the place to go. It is slightly more expensive than other solutions available online, but the value far exceeds the difference. Ask to try the tool before you buy it. You'll see that the demo and the tool are the same, unlike other solutions which demo the A version, but sell you on price with the C version. What you see is what you get with Avention.

Great for building and cleaning list, and getting better insight pre-sales meeting and using the corporate hierarchy to prevent multiple sales reps from selling into the same account.

D&B Hoovers review by Tony L.
Tony L.

"I find Avention to be very user friendly."

What do you like best?

Depending on what you are using this tool for I find it very useful in my day to day task of determining feasibility on various endeavors. The information is concise and I am able to pick and choose the fields that are of interest for any particular project and export as many times as needed to analyze the information and in as many ways as needed in order to obtain a holistic perspective of my target audience.

What do you dislike?

This tool does pretty much was it is intended to do so I don't know that there is much I don't like about it. The information is as reliable as any other provider so it really boils down to the capability and features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's definitely easy to use and worth the investment, at least from my perspective.

We are a market research firm so this tool is used to develop list of our target audience, as a starting point.

D&B Hoovers review by Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"General Manager - Market Research Center"

What do you like best?

The triggers are one of the best features available as well as being able to directly integrate with Salesforce and to check if those contacts/ companies are already in our CRM

What do you dislike?

Outdated or bad info on contacts. We have had many users state that they are upset that we moved away from Data.com(crowdsourced formerly Jigsaw) I believe Jigsaw /Data.com to be a questionable service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Need better/ more updated contacts. Not all companies are in Avention. This forces us to use other systems to check or use if Avention does not have these contacts/companies. Triggers are good, but we have experienced some issues actually getting them on a consistent basis. LinkedIn seems to have great triggers as well as very up to date contact info. Avention is a great tool, however it is like a lot of others that struggle to keep the info updated. Unless you have a crowd sourced update or updated by the individual, all tools will probably struggle to keep their info updated.

We are a group that works to fill up our DCS Sales pipelines. We are prospecting.

We are able to build lists and verify contacts that allow us to sell as well as to market to these companies.

D&B Hoovers review by Jay K.
Jay K.

"Great research tools for finding information on new or existing customers"

What do you like best?

It has a very large number of customer database with intuitive search menus. You can build target customer list very quickly.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more information on individual contacts besides the job titles such as their role and responsibilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

D&B has the largest customer database you can pull great information to do many different types of marketing campaigns.

We were able to cleanse our customer database as well as find new customer database for our email and outbound marketing campaigns.

D&B Hoovers review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Solid Basic info "

What do you like best?

When building out an account it did a great job of providing a skeleton to build off of. It also usually provided a general phone number to start prospecting into. It also typically listed some of the departments when you were pulling contacts in which gave you a good place to looking when calling in.

What do you dislike?

The information isn't always the most up to date. It could lead you down the wrong path when there is little information available from other sources. If a company wasn't available in D&B it made things really difficult to get all the information in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you verify all the information it provides

The main benefit i realized is that it give you a great place to start. Having the basics covered is a great place to start from. It also saved a lot of time when it was integrated into your CRM and you could migrate all the information in without having to retype it.

D&B Hoovers review by Donald M.
Donald M.

"Global CRM Business ANalyst"

What do you like best?

IT so helps with making sure that we are getting the correct data points and contact information.

What do you dislike?

There are times that the company name at a location is that of the parent company (or a different format), but the location that is presented is not being listed. For example is ABC Zipper Inc was at the location there would be an ABC Zipper Inc, board of trustees. Also the contacts at times are dated.

We mostly need to verify the locations that are reps are reporting on, and collect various data points. We also recently used it to update the Fortune 1000, and hope that a Global 2000 or 3000 feature comes available.

D&B Hoovers review by Chad T.
Chad T.

"Great for consistent, unparalleled information at my fingertips."

What do you like best?

Consistency and breadth of data available on a variety of companies and industries.

What do you dislike?

Lack of information on private companies can be challenging at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't rely on individual users to utilize the necessary resources to research their business concerns or needs unless you arm them with a tool like this that allows them to easily and consistently access the information that they need to make informed business decisions on a routine basis.

Business problems resolved is that we're not relying on individual users to find information that is relevant to them using a variety of sources that may or may not be as good as the person sitting next to them. The information is consistent from inquiry to inquiry and there's comfort in the data being presented. Also opportunities to dig a little deeper on competitors and other relevant industry info but specific to the scenario.

D&B Hoovers review by James C.
James C.

"They Don't Always Have Your Needed Data"

What do you like best?

Customer Support is extremely helpful, the sales people are knowledgeable and professional

What do you dislike?

The service itself is not really useful. The data backend is not mined and cleaned as previously when they had Netprospex seperate. They don't really have the data you need at their finger tips.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't fall for the pitch, the data can't stand up to it.

We needed more CEO's in a certain revenue range. We have not realized those benefits however.

D&B Hoovers review by Administrator in Computer Software

"D&B Hoovers for Salesforce"

What do you like best?

We use the D&B Hoovers for Salesforce to help with market research and for getting background on prospects during internal calls. It's an add-on to Salesforce which gives all the functionality of D&B within salesforce, We've been using it for years and integrates with salesforce.com. All accounts information and contacts transfer seamlessly to salesforce.

What do you dislike?

Some of industry specifics they use our vague and sometimes we miss a company during market sizing. Also, the revenue information is sometimes more of a miss then a hit..

We don't need to manually rekey information and we've identified and engaged with a number of companies on sales cycles.

D&B Hoovers review by Jake H.
Jake H.

"Decent Solution for Data Needs"

What do you like best?

Avention is fairly large when it comes to the amount of contact information available for individuals and companies. Their filters are setup nicely to find leads geographically, by company size, industry, job title, or several other types of criteria. Their detailed information on companies and the notification triggers (such as when a new CEO is hired, when a company's fiscal year is ending, etc.) are useful. Their staff is very helpful in giving us custom lists that de-dup from our existing database (so we aren't paying for information that we already have).

What do you dislike?

We've found some of the lead data we've received has been out of date. This is to be expected with any database resource. It's next to impossible to stay completely up to date, as folks can quickly change jobs. Having said that, I have dealt with other resources that do a better job of keeping tabs on the people in their database and notifying us of changes on a quarterly basis. Avention has some room for improvement in this area but I've found them to be about average (about on par with Hoovers) with keeping information up to date.

I've also found with their Salesforce plug in that it's not always straight forward getting company information. For example, if I bring up a lead in Salesforce that works for Chase Bank, the plugin will show me employee counts and address information for various Chase Bank branches, when what I really want is their overall employee count and HQ address. This adds a challenge as we base our lead assigning off of company HQ location. Hoovers is much more straightforward in that regard.

I've found their feature of pushing leads into Salesforce to be useless to us because it doesn't de-dup against our existing database. To be cost effective, I have to submit my criteria to an account rep, give him a list of emails to de-dup against and wait a day or two to get a spreadsheet back, which I then have to upload into Salesforce. To their credit, they are great to work with but that process adds some extra steps and time, which isn't always convenient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it a good resource. I would also look into Hoover and LinkedIn Sales Navigator as other potential resources and weight out what makes sense for your situation.

We are gathering information on companies and leads. It's expanded our reach regarding the people we market to through email and given our sales team insights into which companies they ought to be targeting. We've made a handful of enterprise level sales through contacts sourced through Avention. It has more than paid for itself.

D&B Hoovers review by Janene B.
Janene B.

"Hmmmm not my favorite"

What do you like best?

I like the amount of data that is available. I also like that they track what you have ordered and can run suppression files.

What do you dislike?

The data has a high percentage of inaccuracy. I have found a couple of other data sources that are cheaper and more accurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Probably not, it would depend on exactly what there need is

This data source when used allows me to provide marketing for our clients while targeting the type of industries they want to market too. Of course the benefit is that I can get the amount of data that I need typically.

D&B Hoovers review by User in Computer Software

"Poor prospecting Great late pipe sales intelligence"

What do you like best?

I liked that D&B would curate relevant articles and company moments in one place. Instead of searching all of my tools like Navigator, Crunchbase, and Owler it was all right there. Unfortunately, it would sometimes also pull info from the wrong company, and the filter seemed off at times.

What do you dislike?

I found it to be cumbersome, took longer to import contacts, and out of any of the tools I've used had the worst data. Leads were at times 7 yrs outdated, it's hard for me to even fathom how things like that slip through as often as they did. We were told the data was stellar, and I have to believe this was because they qualified and measured a "good lead" as one that was imported by the user. Also, compared to zoominfo, I found D&B often had the fewest number of contacts for a company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before moving forward with this company find out about their data, and how they qualify.

We were trying to solve for quality contact information, and company insights. Unfortunately, the data was so poor it did not make sense for us to use the insights because we couldn't get to a place to need it.

D&B Hoovers review by Jim T.
Jim T.

"Timely industry insights and alerts"

What do you like best?

Co Alerts, Industry Info,and financials.

What do you dislike?

Key People is inaccurate 70% of time...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to familiarize yourself with Hoovers and leverage the mobile site for on the go access to information.

-Working capital and liquidity management: Use actionable financial intelligence affecting working capital cycles

-Process Improvement: leverage industry trends, news & social and the business challenges

-Treasury optimization: Use the econ stats and call prep questions

Benefits realized: credible client engagement leading to closed deals/implementations.

D&B Hoovers review by Dilpreet C.
Dilpreet C.

"Onesource has been great help, especially for financial information and analyst reports"

What do you like best?

The overall user interface is good and it has got better. It is very easy to navigate through the site.

Also, the extend of companies that Avention covers is huge. It is a good database

What do you dislike?

Avention is short of analyst reports as compared t other databases such as Bloomberg and Capitla IQ. Analyst reports are critical to our work so it would be great if they can increased the size library of analyst reports

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a useful database for basic company or industry information. It saves a lot of time and makes our operations more efficient

It helps in business research. When we need to understand about the company, competitors, and industries. We also use Avention for financial benchmarking

D&B Hoovers review by User in Computer Software

"Invest your money elsewhere"

What do you like best?

There are no redeeming features for this company.

What do you dislike?

The data is mis-sold, more often the not contacts are board members who are not relevant for targetting for marketing campaigns. Client service is non-existent, they ignore emails, and when you finally get an answer, there is always an excuse why the data is not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not recommend selecting D&B. Really dig in the data and cross check with LinkedIn. You will find that the data is old or incorrect. Email addresses which are critical for lead generation are not available, which makes the data unusable.

I have not solved any business problems with D&B. Be aware to validate any data before using it for sales and marketing lead generation, because the data is old or incomplete. There are better companies out there with better business ethics and better data quality.

D&B Hoovers review by User

"My experience using D&B Hoovers"

What do you like best?

The integration with Salesforce was a huge timesaver. Removing the manual process has increased the efficiency of the team 10 fold. Loved the " get comapny alerts" feature.

What do you dislike?

We were unaware we could not download lists to include the emails addresses until we actually went to download them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that this aligns with your business goals. There is alot of information to be gathered from this solution but it can become a bit overwhelming if you dont have some target customers or segments in mind in advance.

Access to industry correct analytics and industry-specific information. Find and identify possible new clients. Trying to make prospecting easier when we would have direct access to the direct lines, emails and knowing in advance if they would be a decision maker.

D&B Hoovers review by Kelley W.
Kelley W.

"Outdated "

What do you like best?

It gives you a lot of contacts options to review.

What do you dislike?

When I cross check the contacts of interest, most of them have been gone from the company for at least 3 years, if not more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lots of info. You will have to sort through it to find what you really need. And cross check the info , as it might be outdated by years.

Finding contacts to prospect

D&B Hoovers review by Drew M.
Drew M.

"Great Factual Resource"

What do you like best?

Simplicity of info searching. It's simple to locate DUNS Numbers for instance which is critical for our business.

What do you dislike?

info can be old from M&A, etc. We use this a source of truth for our business. Because of this, old data on company ownership can throw off our sales efforts

Used as a source of truth by my business. Simple place to navigate for that needed information

D&B Hoovers review by Consultant in Law Practice
Consultant in Law Practice

"Avention "

What do you like best?

The function I use most is the corporate hierarchy function. It is critical to my job to understand the lay of land, what companies are related and even upcoming M&A. I also use the news function to get a quick download of what's going on with a company.

What do you dislike?

I really need accurate financial data. I know it is hard with private companies, but it is critical to me. My work is not related to sales. However, I need quick accurate intel on a company, it's family, the executives, locations and REVENUES.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for general lay of the land intel. Not the best for gauging revenues.

My work is not related to sales. However, I need quick accurate intel on a company, it's family, the executives, locations and REVENUES. I use the function of the corporate hierarchy function. It is critical to my job to understand the lay of land, what companies are related and even upcoming M&A. I also use the news function to get a quick download of what's going on with a company.

D&B Hoovers review by Administrator in Commercial Real Estate
Administrator in Commercial Real Estate

"Works well for public company information"

What do you like best?

Avention has a "one stop" report that works well on researching public companies. Additionally, it links in with our Salesforce platform, and we are able to create contact records from Avention with one click. It saves our salespeople a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

Avention does not have a lot of direct dial phone numbers in its database. For privately held firms, the information is harder to acquire, and I have found it to be inaccurate about half the time in Avention. If your hope is to research smaller, privately held firms, Avention is not worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Push for a trial. It is hard to see in the demos how much information they will actually have on privately held companies. If your firm is looking to target public companies, then this is likely the product for you.

We are solving the issue of a small sales force trying to keep up with a large database. Avention allows us to use one click to update our database. It also allows us to target a specific industry.

D&B Hoovers review by Marie S.
Marie S.

"Avention is a decent product for a fair price"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to do competitive research quickly and easily. The platform is very user friendly as well. We have seen some good improvements over the past few years with user interface.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how some contact information is out of date although we had this same issue with other vendors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product for the price! Give it a try. You won't be disappointed. Value is definitely better than competitors products out there.

We use Avention to pull together data on new and prospective clients, competitors and individuals and specific companies. Combined with LinkedIn it has been a useful tool for marketing and business development. We have subscribed to Avention's iSell product for several years and plan to continue using the product in years to come.

D&B Hoovers review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"A great all round data product seamlessly integrated into Salesfroce.com"

What do you like best?

Centralised one stop shop of the business. Ability to integrate within Salesforce.com and allows easy addition of contacts and account data updates with one simple click. The ability to built smart list with alerts and access news centrally pulled from various sources that relate specifically to your account.

What do you dislike?

Some data is not always up to date such as latest contacts within the business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avention has gone a long way to include a larger portion of the SME business and is making the tool more relevant regionally. Is a better product to some of the competitors and worth considering.

Up to date information on a company saving the salesperson time in researching via the web. Central location to see related news and contacts within that organisation, in particular if there are significant changes in a company that require immediate action by the salesperson.

D&B Hoovers review by Cyndi C.
Cyndi C.

"Great Resource"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the scope and accuracy of information provided.

What do you dislike?

I wish that more companies were represented in D&B Hoovers. I can't find information for some companies.

We are able to capture an accurate profile of the business health of the prospective companies we are considering doing business with.

D&B Hoovers review by Kristina P.
Kristina P.

"Tool used for source of company's annual revenue"

What do you like best?

Easy access to all companies across a variety of industries and in-depth family trees.

What do you dislike?

Revenue on private companies is often inaccurate or out of date.

Company annual revenue for business development strategy. We have been using D&B as our source of truth and has been very reliable. Some additional research is needed for private, franchise or smaller companies.

Learning about D&B Hoovers?

* We monitor all D&B Hoovers reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.