Duolingo

Learning with Duolingo is fun and addictive. Earn points for correct answers, race against the clock, and level up. Duolingo's bite-sized lessons are effective, and we have a study to prove it.

Work for Duolingo?

Learning about Duolingo?

Duolingo Reviews

Showing 86 Duolingo reviews
Duolingo review by Yousra A.
Yousra A.

"a very simple, entertaining and efficient language learning software"

What do you like best?

The pronunciations exercises, the amount of vocabulary it exposes you to and how it makes you practice, practice and re-pracrtice until you learn it. Also it many fun games that help add some entertainment to the learning process

What do you dislike?

it mainly focuses on the vocabulary and pronunciation but it neglects a little the grammar aspect and the formation of long sentences which is very important.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to start a new language from scratch or if you're a beginner in a new language this is the perfect software for you.

I used it for personal use actually. I wanted to work on my French language and so I tried many language learning apps and Duolingo was very efficient in helping with the vocabulary and pronunciation

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Duolingo
Duolingo review by User

"Buena experiencia, aún se puede mejorar."

What do you like best?

1. Es gratis

2. Existe la app para dispositivos android

3. Fácil acceso, se puede entrar con la cuenta de Google, Facebook o crear la propia cuenta con el e-mail

4. Múltiples idiomas para aprender al mismo tiempo

5. Mejoras en las lecciones, recordatorios básicos que antes no habían.

6. Guarda el progreso

7. Opción de exonerarse de las lecciones.

8. Practicas traduciendo artículos dentro de Duolingo.

9. Certificación de inglés, la cual es aceptada por diferentes instituciones y organizaciones.

What do you dislike?

1. Aún presenta algunos problemas con las traducciones básicas de inglés a español.

2. Las unidades extras les falta pulir en la traducción de inglés a español.

3. Traducciones muy literales

4. Español muy "mexicanizado"

5. Hay algunos problemas con el audio, muchas veces no se entiende bien.

6. Debido a su diseño y formato, puede llegar a aburrir rápido.

7. El costo del certificado final; muchas persona usan Duolingo por ser gratuito, y cuando llegan al punto del certificado final y que tiene valor, decepciona mucho.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es una plataforma útil para aprender nuevos idiomas, sea por necesidad o por diversión. Es práctico, fácil de usar, online y gratuito y te permite tomar un test final para acreditar lo aprendido.

Estamos aprendiendo nuevos idiomas en la institución. Seguimos en la búsqueda de la herramienta óptima para nuestro tiempo libre durante el trabajo, Duolingo no fue la primera opción, pero debido a la facilidad de uso, aún la usamos y nos ha traído resultados.

What Language Learning solution do you use?

Duolingo review by Shea B.
Shea B.

"A fantastic tool for learning languages"

What do you like best?

Duolingo is a fantastic resources for people who are currently learning and language and need a tool to revise, those who have learnt a language in the past and do not wish to forget their skills, or even those who want to pick up a new language. The course content is easy to process and fun to work through, and the daily reminders and steak system ensure that the learner can stay engaged and not forget to complete some language learning each day.

What do you dislike?

While Duolingo has excellent support for a wide range of languages, there are still some languages which have not made their way into the online curriculum. While this is understandable for a free and extremely well developed tool, it does restrict the audience Duolingo can be used by and recommended to.

Additionally, while Duolingo's course content is very well structured and organized, it is not as perfect as a specific revision tool, as it lacks the functionality to specify a certain topic or group of words to revise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in the process of learning a language, Duolingo is an invaluable tool. Completing or strengthening a few tasks daily can have an enormously beneficial impact on a language learning experience.

When learning a language, only so much can be learnt in the classroom. It is the time outside of the classroom which is crucial to memorising and immersing oneself with the language they are learning. Duolingo is an extremely valuable tool in this regard, as its easy-to-use and friendly interface make using the product and fun and enriching experience. The streak system with its daily reminders provide an effective means of staying engaged with the product.

Duolingo review by Daniele S.
Daniele S.

"Improved English and learned Esperanto"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and the lessons are organized in chapters.

What do you dislike?

For specific languages to others there aren't a lot of courses and this is a big problem of keep using this application if you want more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do at least a lesson every day and in 6 months you will finish without losing a lot of time (usualy round of 20 minutes are the best to memorize)

Improve english and learn more languages for fun

Duolingo review by Gerardo Esteban C.
Gerardo Esteban C.

"502 Day streak! I love Duolingo, I learn French there, I am now learning German, Portuguese, Italian"

What do you like best?

I love the Daily Goal, the day streak, ant the variety of exercise that has Duolingo. It is a complete, free, utopic system, the mobile app is incredibly fast and just weighs 16MB in my mobile if that is not awesome I don't know what it is. I use this app every day of my life since 502 days ago. My dream is to be able to develop an idea application, that be very useful, that people love to use if I can't to that I would like to work on Duolingo. I am studying every day to be capable and acceptable of working with them or developing a good idea.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I can't say anything wrong about Duolingo, I am very sorry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you to start now whatever language you want, then when you were learning with Duolingo desktop app or Mobile App:

*Practice every day.

*if a skill is abstract or costs you to learn, give the skill a week, over that week practice it and practice it until you can do the time practice with 2 minutes of remaining time.

*Read and listen Podcasts, Videos, and talk to yourself, it doesn't matter if at the first time goes with a wrong accent.

*Find other people who like and love to practice a language.

I want to be able to communicate with people who don't speak my native language. I can know listen, take courses, be able to ask about coding problems in slack or other comunities.

Duolingo review by Amarillis S.
Amarillis S.

"Great Start"

What do you like best?

What I like most is to being able to pick it up and learn anywhere, anytime and for free!

It is also entertaining and progressive, which motivates me to keep on track with the path they give and to not give up easily.

With Duolingo's methodology it's possible to learn in an almost seamlessly way.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say I dislike it, but I believe it helps more as a starter guide to learn than a complete platform to master a new language.

Actually, it is even a good point for me now, as it can be coordinated with other activities (together or consecutively).

It doesn't require more effort than you can make in a daily routine.

I haven't applied my knowledge on business or studies, but it has been nice to be able to understand some words and try brief introductions.

I intend to use it as a starting point to learn a new language, as it is easy to conciliate with the daily routine and provides a progressive knowledge.

Duolingo review by Aimee H.
Aimee H.

"Duolingo Review"

What do you like best?

I love the lesson structure -- it is short enough that it doesn't take much time, and tests your language ability from multiple different angles.

What do you dislike?

No overarching grammar syntax is given. Sometimes it takes me a while to learn concepts because of that. A short introduction to new grammar principles would be nice.

Also, if I am retaking a previously passed "lesson", to refresh my skills, sometimes it gives you the same sentence over and over again just in a different way. While this may be beneficial if you are just learning a lesson, when I am relearning a lesson I tend to remember the sentence, instead of trying to understand the words that make up the sentence.

Also, more lessons that focus on understanding what you hear would be helpful. For me that is much more difficult than understanding the written word..

I haven't really used this in a business setting yet.

Duolingo review by Justin Z.
Justin Z.

"Decent gamification of language learning."

What do you like best?

Decent variety of languages. Good progress tracking and practice reminder system. Good repetition structure for maintaining vocabulary. I like how the lessons adapt to my failures. I like the ability to switch between languages to keep my mind alert. And I like the brevity of each section so that I'm able to sneak in a lesson during a busy day.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were more languages available outside Europe. The Android app doesn't have the same tops and basic learning text as the website. These tips are helpful and not wordy enough to prevent including in the app. Voice Recognition not as good on the app (too forgiving) and sometimes I wonder if it's even checking. Also, sharing certain achievements from the app would be nice. The app is far more convenient than the website, which is why I primarily use it. Also, the service can, at times, stop responding and this can become frustrating when you have to bail out of a lesson that is nearly complete because the service can no longer grade. It is also stunting when you are on a roll and suddenly have to wait for the grading to complete. It would be nice to be able to have the option of locally caching progress on a particular lesson in the event the grading cannot complete.

UPDATE: Recent app update greatly improved. Very pleased with this version though I do still wish the tips were present from the web app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid to switch to another language if you start getting tired of the one you're working on. Context switching can help prepare you for encounters when your mind has to suddenly switch gears and start communicating in an alternate language.

Opening up opportunities to work with international clients, though, the language options are for countries where most of the population also speaks English. The only benefits for me so far are personal. I gain new perspectives on language by learning those that I am unfamiliar with.

Duolingo review by Victor L.
Victor L.

"Great tool to learn a new language"

What do you like best?

For me, what makes Duolingo so interesting is that the learning method is both progressive and entertaining. We start with the very basics, words we might use in daily life, and the variety of exercises combined with the friendly user interface makes it fun.

Finally, being able to follow my friends and what they are currently learning makes me know a little more about them.

What do you dislike?

My main critic would be towards the maximum level you can reach with the software. Once you get to intermediate level, with complex sentences, it becomes quite hard to get the right answer, as all the possible right answers are not taken into account. Therefore, it is necessary to think about the litteral meaning of each word, whereas in the real life the meaning could have been totally different, or you just don't say it like that.

The problems I am facing in the business environment are mostly about communication and processes. Communication, as I am to promote my solutions within the company, and processes, as they must be very clear in order to convince as many people as possible.

The duolingo solution helps me to keep up my language skills, in order to create connections with foreign interlocutors.

Duolingo review by Quentin L.
Quentin L.

"A great way to start learning a language."

What do you like best?

I like that the program gives you plenty of help while learning new words. It doesn't leave you hanging if you forget some words you learned previously, it will guide you through so you don't become frustrated and give up.

What do you dislike?

I think some of the lessons are too short for some of the more complex vocabulary and sentences. The lesson lengths are perfect for learning the basics. Once you get into more complicated subjects, like past or future tenses, I don't think you are able to spend enough time learning the new words. By the time the lesson is over you've only seen the new words in two to three sentences.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Duolingo will not provide you with all of the tools to master a language. It's a stepping stone to allow you to begin using the language in your day to day life and build upon your knowledge by interacting with others.

I work in construction management, so learning Spanish has been very beneficial for me. I'm not able to fully converse with people yet, but I am able to understand what people are talking about or what they are asking for. It's very beneficial for me, because people gain a lot more respect for you when they realize you've put forth the effort to understand their language.

Duolingo review by Abigail F.
Abigail F.

"Fantastic way to learn a new language at any pace "

What do you like best?

Duolingo lets you work at your own pace and offers a wide variety of languages. I've always wanted to learn Spanish, brush up on French, and try some other languages like German. This allows me to learn in a useful and meaningful way, with feedback for reading, writing, listening and speech. I love that it monitors your "streak" of days you've used the app, and feel genuinely motivated to keep using it every day. I have convinced several other friends to join me as well and everyone who had a moderate to deep interest in learning a language has gotten a lot out of it. This is an app that actually teaches me something useful that I have never made time or set aside money to do, but have always wanted to learn.

What do you dislike?

The only complaints I have ever had have been with regard to the calculation of points for daily lessons, and have not involved the content of the app. In the current version of this app, I have no such complaints.

I'm learning new languages and increasing my comfort level with a language I studied extensively in the past. This allows me at least a basic comprehension of documents I encounter personally or professionally that are in other languages, for identification purposes and more. I look forward to getting better at these languages and adding more, and pursuing fluency which would open many doors for me professionally for contract review.

Duolingo review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="ab0a5711-ab28-48c2-b88b-24d7caf8ca78">Ben H.</span>
Ben H.
" itemprop="name" />

"The best way to learn a new language in a fun and challenging way"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about Duolingo is the ability to pick it up anywhere. The hardest part about learning a language is finding the time to sit down and study a subject as difficult as a new language. Duolingo makes it easy to study a language in short burst lessons in your downtime; even if that is only five minutes.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to find something to complain about with Duolingo. The only gripe I have with Duolingo is that is focusses too heavily on simply translating text from language 'a' to language 'b'. My speaking skills haven't improved nearly as much as my translating skills. I also feel like I'm only learning a very specific set of phrases. Duolingo doesn't provide a robust way to communicate with other users outside of discussing sentences.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Improving the speaking functionality would greatly improve my ability to utilize the language in my daily life.

While I haven't used my second language in any business sense, I can see how it certainly opens new doors that wouldn't have existed prior to Duolingo. The benefits are being able to communicate with an entirely new group of people as well as a whole new array of jobs I wouldn't have bee about to apply for otherwise.

Duolingo review by Bert V.
Bert V.

"Great way of learning the basics of a language"

What do you like best?

The short sessions that you can take in some lost time. Also that a session cannot fail. They used to work with hearts. After 3 mistakes you'd have to start over. They switched this to a system where you need 20 correct answers. Any wrong answers are deducted from this total. This puts a certain limit on the time to complete a lesson. Ideal for doing these during your morning commute.

What do you dislike?

It unfortunate that the app doesn't connect you with other people that are also trying to learn the same language or the opposite one. Because i feel i don't get enough experience in talking the language. Because you don't really feel the need to use the language, it seems the learning speed suffers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to do one lesson every day. They keep a steak of consecutive days you practice. Although they don't save your record, it can be a big motivator once you get a streak up to a few hindered days. It almost becomes a must do, to make sure you don't miss your exercise. I was pretty bummed out when i lost my 300 day streak. Just a few months ago i lost my 100 day streak again. But i always seem to start using it again after a few weeks of down time.

I'm studying Italian as a personal interest. This allows me to speak a few words with my Italian friend or with some friends. Speaking Italian always comes across as cool, since the language has such a nice pronunciations.

Duolingo review by Catherine C.
Catherine C.

"Best for people who don't want to waste time."

What do you like best?

I love Duolingo. I've learned languages at the college level, and tried to learn them on my own, and this is the best way I've ever run across. It's convenient because you can do it anywhere, though the online version is far better than the mobile app. The games make it fun, and they also allow the level of repetition you need to really drive home the grammar and basic vocabulary. Also, it's completely self-paced, so you can learn on your own.

The translation of articles lets you expand your vocabulary while helping other people access the internet. I like this program so much, I could be a salesperson.

What do you dislike?

The recording and voice-recognition doesn't work very well. It works better in a quiet room with a good microphone, but eve that is so sketchy that I usually turn it off. Duolingo itself will not teach you how to speak a language fluently. You still need practice with native speakers. However, it's a great foundation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this over a college course to get a basic foundation in grammar and vocabulary. Absolutely pair it with a foreign exchange or other immersion and/or conversation practice, as those areas are lacking.

I wanted to learn Spanish because I like learning languages and my Spanish was kind of weak. I was really impressed by how solid a foundation I got in just one year. I found a year of daily practice to be equal to or better than many college courses.

Duolingo review by Yasamin N.
Yasamin N.

"Excellent tool for learning a new language!"

What do you like best?

I like that this app is free to use and offers a variety of material for every language. It can be utilized on the user's time, which is very valuable. It also encourages visual learning. The layout, too, is intuitive and natural in progression. What I have found useful the most, though, is the app's ability to teach language as pragmatically as possible; I can actually hold a conversation with a native speaker of the language I am learning.

What do you dislike?

The speaking part of Duolingo is rather limited. I find that this is the most important part of learning a language. Currently, the speech recognition software has a lot of trouble understand what I am saying.

I also dislike the fact that the mobile app and the web app do not seem to sync properly. I would like to have the same functionality on the mobile app that the web app has.

Languages are also very fluid. I would like the translations of sentences to be more fluid than they are right now.

Sometimes,

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very good starting place to learn a language from scratch. For a free service, it is incredibly well made and very easy to use. I would recommend using the microphone function to also get some speaking practice. If you're looking for a practical way to learn a bit of a language since you're traveling, this is definitely the app for you.

I am utilizing Duolingo in order to read German text for research purposes for a collaborative fictional novel. So far, it has really helped me become more intuitive about German words in English or distinguishing root words. The fact that English is 70% German is, in fact, very true.

Duolingo review by Laura E.
Laura E.

"Excellent resource for language acquisition"

What do you like best?

A friend recommended Duolingo right at a time when I was desperate to begin a determined foray into the German language. It was (and is!) precisely what I needed. Registering was easy, setting up a 'daily goal' was a piece of cake, and here I am (still!) in hot pursuit of fluency. My goal is to eventually relocate and work in Germany, and I feel as though Duolingo is providing me with the precise level of immersion I'd get from taking a college course, without the exorbitant fee!

What do you dislike?

In all honesty, there's nothing I don't like about Duolingo. If I had a complaint, it would be that the android app crashes, but that might be my device and happening through no fault of Duolingo. I wouldn't want Duolingo's creators to be held responsible for a problem occurring on my end, even if I haven't found a resolution yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to learn a new language, register at once! You won't be disappointed!

A major staple involved in moving overseas involves gaining fluency in the native language of one's country of choice. As I plan to immigrate to Germany, speaking fluent Deutsch is absolutely imperative. I believe Duolingo is helping me achieve this goal, and for free at that! I simply cannot see a downside in all this. I'm incredibly grateful to the friend who introduced me to this site. It's changed my life, as it's making my 'dreams' that much more of a reality.

Duolingo review by Kenny V.
Kenny V.

"Easy to learn, but you have to stick with it"

What do you like best?

Duolingo is a great mix of "holding your had" as you learn and "throwing you to the wolves." You're going to make mistakes as concepts are thrown at you and you're constantly tested, but when combined with the repetitive nature of the lessons, it's really effective. I also really like the business model of the site -- it teaches us new languages for free, and in return users build their way up to where they are translating documents for people who hire Duolingo to get them translated. It's a win-win for everyone.

What do you dislike?

You really do have to stick with it and re-take lessons now and again before you can really consider yourself proficient; it's easy to forget details like the fact that all nouns are capitalized in German if you do a few lessons and then back away for a while before taking more. I'd also like to see more languages. I've always wanted to learn Japanese, but it's not available on Duolingo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend giving it a try. The initial time commitment isn't much, and even if you have your employees taking one lesson per day, you aren't losing much productivity time. Some employees may enjoy it enough that they will take extra lessons during their down time.

While I have a long way to go before I can consider myself fluent in German, I am able to pick up a lot more than I used to -- not only in German, either. Using some of the same methods in my head as Duolingo teaches me when I'm on the site, it's easier to pick up context clues when I hear people speaking other languages.

Duolingo review by Nick R.
Nick R.

"Great for a free product, but lacking in some important areas."

What do you like best?

I think the reward system is good. I feel the way the lessons are broken up and the use of game-like achievements and daily goals encourages repetitive use. The introduction of 'testing out' to complete a section your are confident in saves unnecessary frustration. The format of the lessons, ie. matching pictures, listening, translating, selecting the right word etc. worked well for me. The ability to see my facebook friends' scores would also be a good motivator, but none were doing it at the same time.

What do you dislike?

I feel like having completed the whole Spanish course, my actual usable everyday Spanish was still quite limited.

I feel like the introduction of new grammar should included more detailed explanations of usage. I felt the vocabulary was limited and sometimes badly chosen. I was repeatedly revising certain words which I would have very little practical use for. In general, my biggest issue was the lack of practical every day language, which a beginner would actually find use for.

The 'strength' bars are a good idea, but didn't seem to accurately reflect how i confident I felt about each section.

In 'tap the pairs' sometimes the translations could have been more specific. eg. 'dijo' could better be translated as 'I tell' than just 'tell'.

On the whole I felt duolingo was best used as a practice tool, rather than a solid introduction to the language.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend duolingo as a tool to assist in becoming familiar with a language used in conjunction with other, more comprehensive sources.

I am currently looking for work in spain and using duolingo to improve my spanish.

Duolingo review by Bobby W.
Bobby W.

"A place to practice"

What do you like best?

I came to duolingo.com after having done Rosetta Stone for Spanish and Transparent Language for both Spanish and Portuguese. One advantage DuoLingo has over these two is the price: It is free. Rosetta Stone is expensive for what you get; I will defer writing more about that because this is about RS. Transparent Language is reasonably priced and is similar in philosophy as far as it goes. Duolingo is FREE (as of this writing) and goes farther. Duolingo has done a much better job of making the experience game like. It provides excellent incentives to practice every day. It is excellent, attractive software.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the translation aspect. Quite frankly, it is not well-incentivized within the point structure they have established. I set a goal of getting a certain number of points a day and it is much more difficult to do it within the time constraints I have if I spend my time translating.

I am learning travel Spanish/Portuguese to help with my univeristy work.

Duolingo review by David T.
David T.

"Love Duo Lingo"

What do you like best?

I think Duo Lingo is great. I love that it allows for practicing on come computers and mobile devices. It has so many languages to choose from! Plus the XP system keeps me coming back, even after I've put it down for a while.

What do you dislike?

I'd tweak it in a few small ways: First, the mobile app doesn't always accurately reflect the amount I've practiced a particular language module. I figure this is a bug that will get fixed with an eventual software update. My one major concern is the seeming lack of good review material for past language modules. I don't feel I'm as solid on words and grammar as I could be before Duo Lingo moves me ahead to the next thing. Also, I wish it did a better job of recombining past material in different ways for review and study purposes. It could do better at combining past material with new stuff too. But maybe these are things that happen later in the program? I'm not all that far along.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Duo Lingo is a fun and easy language learning method. The price is right because it's free! I've learned more through Duo Lingo than with my attempts with Rosetta Stones, language-learning recordings, or even the 2 years of French I took in high school. If you want to learn a 2nd (or 3rd, 4th, or 5th), Duo Lingo is a great way to go.

I'm a professional musician with aspirations of touring internationally. I've already had multiple French speakers contact me about interviews and performance opportunities. Knowing even a little French has helped me a great deal with communicating in these situations.

Duolingo review by Bobby W.
Bobby W.

"A great start to language learning"

What do you like best?

The ease of use, competition with friends and how fast you are able to understand your target language. The game aspect is fun and I especially love the timed practice which adds to your point total very quickly if you know the answers. The forum is great too for chatting with other people using Duolingo to hear other perspectives and get tips. The app makes language learning anywhere a snap. I love being able to use it for a few lessons while i'm on a plane without internet access.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if it had a better testing process and or separate exercises with more in depth explanation regarding conjugation of verbs. The support options could be better as it seems to take a long time to answers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to get a quick start at learning a new language, Duolingo is for you. While it will not go into in depth explanations of grammar, sentence structure, etc., if you successfully finish your learning tree, you will have a great base from which to jump into a more formal language learning process. I chat with Brazilians on a daily basis and can understand a majority of what they say, even if I don't know every word. Duolingo will have you conversing in and understanding your target language fast!

I have not had to solve any business problems yet but learning Portuguese does give me the opportunity to have short chats with Brazilian clients.

Duolingo review by Joshua D.
Joshua D.

"Duolingo - a solid resource for vocab building and practice. "

What do you like best?

The ease of access, zero cost, and the design being based around small chunks make it easy to fit in to one's schedule and eliminate most of the barriers that similar, paid products suffer from. This is a fantastic way to practice a couple thousand words in your target language on the cheap, however there are some caveats.

What do you dislike?

Some translations in the younger courses can be a bit strange and sometimes unforgiving until the course designers get around to incoporating feedback. However, my biggiest issue with the program is that in most cases in my personal experience, unless you have outside help in the form of a native speaker or materials with native pronounciation BEFORE starting the process or regular access to a similar resource while just beginning the process, your accent will likely be very bad. It's a failing of the design overall and not much can be done, however I do recommend to all people that use Duolingo - start by learning the sounds and the pronounciation before even starting your target language in Duolingo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have access to recordings of nativa speakers (or an actual native speaker) and nail the pronounciation of your target language BEFORE starting Duolingo. As I learned when starting Dutch on Duolingo, it can impart very bad pronunciation habits.

Ease of communication between different theaters in our global company, as well as ease of communication with customers who don't have a solid command of English.

Duolingo review by Stephanie G.
Stephanie G.

"How Much I love Duolingo"

What do you like best?

I love that Duolingo ;

-tracks my progress

-lets me play offline

-has a web version in addition to the app

-Has the option to play with/without sound games

-Has game style incentives such as earning points and characters

-Lets me play against friends

What do you dislike?

I wish it had more listening features that didn't require a response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommended Duolingo to someone close to me who had to learn a new language for their job. In a way their job depended on it. After several attempts to learn a new language with other products I suggested Duolingo and they gained more skills in that new language than other programs. I would share this personal experience to anyone considering Duolingo as proof that me and the person I recommended it to highly recommend it to others as well.

The benefits of Duolingo don't apply to my career specifically. However learning a language is still a form of education. I think by learning a language you strengthen your memory skills, a skill we can all benefit from.

Duolingo review by Zachary B.
Zachary B.

"Helpful for Novices, No Replacement for Immersion or a Class"

What do you like best?

The variety of languages available ensures that you will likely find a language you want/have to learn. The simplicity of the site and the app ensure that you will be able to learn at least the fundamentals of a language in your spare time.

The website offers an impressive variety of languages. At the time of this review, there are eleven languages that are out of beta, two still in beta, and ten languages in active development. That's just for native English speakers!

In addition to brief lessons that feature a mixture of vocal and written lessons, Duolingo features a remarkably innovative system where aspiring multilinguists can spend time translating works in order to gain a stronger grasp of their language of choice. The material consists largely of be online articles that touch on a variety of subjects, thus ensuring that the content to be translated will appeal to someone. Moreover, since this practice doubles as a business model, the website has a clean, simple interface bereft of ads or fees(there is an on-website currency called "lingots," but those are earned through achievements, not through exchange of actual money).

In addition to the very reliable and functional website is an app available for Apple, Android, and (all three) Windows Phone users! The app is somewhat more minimalist, but is also very efficiently designed, and even has limited offline functionality.

What do you dislike?

Duolingo is not without flaws.

The website, in an effort to serve as many people as possible, is largely server-controlled. While there is a very active community, there are no personal lessons and very few actual people involved. As such, the speech lessons use voice recognition that is... inconsistent at best. When translating a sentence, Duolingo is not always capable of capturing nuance, and as such will sometimes mark right answers wrong and wrong answers as "right enough."

The translation portion is, seemingly, all web content, and mostly articles. As such, there is no translating actual recordings, nor published works. When translating, it only offers the option to translate from a foreign language into your native one, and not vice-versa. In order to do that, you must change your native language setting and then sign up to "learn" your actual native language.

e.g. If I am learning Dutch, and want to try my hand at translating an article only available in English INTO Dutch, I have to tell Duolingo that my native language is Dutch and I'd like to learn English.

The app, while functional, is very limited in scope. You cannot do translations through it as of right now, the lessons are more abbreviated, the speaking exercises obviously rely on server functionality and thus require you to be online. The offline functionality only allows you to practice unlearned lessons, you cannot get a random assortment of exercises or download an old lesson you'd like to go over.

Ultimately, Duolingo is no replacement for an actual teacher. This is, at best, going to teach you a language up to the equivalent of a 200 level college class.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to supplement your education. Watch videos in the language, possibly sign up online with some service that allows you to practice communicating with a native speaker. Duolingo will NOT teach you everything you need to know, but is always a useful tool.

Learning another language was, frankly, more of a personal pursuit than a business-related one. Hopefully it will prove of greater use in the future.

Duolingo review by Ana R.
Ana R.

"Great app to keep up your French"

What do you like best?

The app uses incentives to keep you interested in practicing. It sends reminders and keeps changing question formats so you don't get bored. It's also colorful, easy to use and includes an immersion option for high-level translation. You can "earn" lingots (language currency) to "buy" fun add-ons to your account. Make wagers against your consistent practice to increase your stack of lingots. Streaks of practice earns you more lingots as well.

The app also tracks how fluent you are in the language of your choice.

What do you dislike?

It is a program best suited for people already familiar with the basics of a language. It doesn't teach fundamentals, it just provides a practice session. It also doesn't sync across devices very well. Using the account on a mobile device does not automatically update the progress of the user on the account when it is accessed via a desktop computer. The immersion program does not give users the ability to collaborate with other users and "lock" translations. Anyone can come in and revise your translation of a sentence.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This app is best used by people who already have a basic knowledge of a foreign language. If you don't know the basics, like verb conjugation, syntax and grammar, this app will not provide instruction on these topics, so don't use it until you grasp the basics of the language you want to learn.

Keeps the mind sharp. Helps with memory, concentration and of course, language fluency.

Duolingo review by Aidan A.
Aidan A.

"I havent really tried any other language learning software etc, but this is really enjoyable and fun"

What do you like best?

That its on all platforms - i used to only use it on my ipad but recently have been using more on the computer - it seems theres variation and using the computer makes you learn more. The ipad version seems to have the same sentences etc after a while so you can go by memory and not use the knowledge as good as could be.

I also like the amount of languages offered and how its continually growing. Ive "completed" french but will be trying more languages soon.

What do you dislike?

The male voice can be very hard to understand sometimes on the phone app. I also liked when you could verse someone else with the product but that was removed, if that was brought back it would be amazing. especially playing random people of your level.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont try to do too many languages at once - stick with one and after a while maybe try another similar. Some languages youll pick up easier as they use the same style etc.

I work in engineering and i originally started using it as the design plans for a bridge in montreal were in french and english. It made me understand the plans better after a while and look for errors.

Duolingo review by Cheryl K.
Cheryl K.

"Duolingo is a great tool"

What do you like best?

Duolingo is free, which is incredible and I recommend it to people all the time.

It's a great introduction to a language or a fantastic supplement to taking a language class.

I would say that you can get a great basic education from using ONLY Duolingo to learn a language but I would always recommend several resources if you are really trying to become fluent (audio program, class, music, tv, skype with native speakers, etc.)

Duolingo is great for reading and writing because you need to be able to spell and conjugate words correctly in order to make progress.

What do you dislike?

For being a FREE product there is not much to dislike.

I guess the only let down would be that once you complete a language (I've completed Spanish and French) you can keep strengthening your skills but it feels like it's over to some extent and I feel less motivated than I did when I was trying to complete the program.

So many people spend a lot of money to learn a language only to get bored and put it down, they end up wasting their money. With Duolingo, it's free, so you can start learning your language and if you decide to discontinue it, you haven't invested money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Duolingo to anyone as a great, no money investment language foundation course. I would highly recommend it as a supplement to a foreign language class or audio program.

I have used Duolingo so far for personal travel and enjoyment. I will use it for business in the future.

I was and still am a big Pimsleur audio program fan but with Pimsleur you never see the words so I think Duolingo is a great supplement to using with an audio program.

Duolingo review by Karmen S.
Karmen S.

"ADDICTIVE!!!"

What do you like best?

Fast and fun. An hour of language practice goes by in a flash. The screens are colorful and engaging. Through Duolingo I am learning to write German words and phrases, and I sometimes impress my German boyfriend with a properly pronounced phrase. I am embarrassed being around so many world travelers in his community and I only know one language. Duolingo has given me confidence I can earn a good foundation in German.

What do you dislike?

I use Duolingo in conjunction with other products that require me to speak (Pimsleur), I am shy about speaking German as I am trying to learn it. When I practice with Duolingo, I make sure to repeat words and phrases out loud. I currently don't have internet at home, and would love to download practice lessons to do on my tablet before bedtime or wherever WiFi is spotty.

I am using Duolingo to build German language skills to communicate with native German speakers in social situations here in the US.

Duolingo review by Joshua H.
Joshua H.

"Duolingo has helped me learn faster and with a better understanding than any other course taken."

What do you like best?

I really love the flash card style of UI that you use to learn the language. I love the gameification of the app also I play against my girlfriend all the time and its fun. The really best thing I love is how easy it it use and all the reminders it gives to you when you have been slacking off. The way the languages are split up and organized is very easy to follow, you know exactly what course you getting into and what is coming up. The amount of languages on it has been pretty good it seems they keep adding.

What do you dislike?

The one complaint I do have about it that I wish that it would update some of the phrases. I also wish that it would have both styles of languages if there is two styles of the language. Some times you type in the correct phrase and it will still fail out but that happens every once and a blue moon. There is no immersion mode that is in there so you have to go out and speak to people, I don't mind it too much but I can see how others might.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect to learn right away and there is no immersion so you will have to go out and practice with other users or other people.

The business problem I was solving was to get in good with my girlfriends parents who speak Portuguese :). The one true benefit beside gaining the ability to speak another language is I feel more confident when speaking with native speakers.

Duolingo review by Dennis N.
Dennis N.

"A great way to learn at your own pace"

What do you like best?

I like Duolingo because you can use the program when it's convenient; on your smart phone, or a computer. It's self-paced so you can move through the material as quickly as you like. The material is amusing and the interactions keep things motivating. Best of all, it's free to use!

What do you dislike?

I think that teaching strategy is somewhat narrow when it comes to the material. The program progresses through the basics in a linear way. It would be useful to identify the types of words that you wish to focus on. I think it would be great if there was separate learning section that teaches basic phrases useful to know when travelling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to start learning a new language, Duolingo is where you should start.

Demonstrating interest and ability in learning a new language has been valuable to me in my current role.

Duolingo review by Jessie D.
Jessie D.

"Great free product "

What do you like best?

It's free and easy to use. It doesn't take long to set up and it's straight forward. You don't have to guess what you're supposed to do.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that more anguished are not offered. I've been teaching adults English and had students use this to continue to practice at home. Some of the students were unable to use it because their language wasn't offered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great as long as they have the language you speak and the language you want to learn. It's an easy and free way to practice the basics.

Student's don't always have an English speaking person to practice with. This gives them the opportunity to continue working on their skills even when they are not in class.

Duolingo review by Katherine D.
Katherine D.

"Middle Schoolers using Duolingo"

What do you like best?

Duolingo is an incredibly easy program that can be used to learn another language. I use this program with my English Language learners as well as my students who are studying French and Spanish. I also use this program myself to work on learning the basics of other languages. You can use it both on the computer and download an app to your smart device. It goes even further than just basic flashcards. You listen and translate phrases and you also are asked to repeat phrases and respond in the new language and it analyzes your pronunciation. The computer versions offers more and you can even 'immerse' yourself by translating things on the internet into the language you are trying to learn.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about this program. The log on restrictions make it difficult to use with younger students who may not have the log on requirements. Overall the repetition of words, listening, and speaking really make ti a wonderful program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great program that is easy to use. It has both a computer based program and an app that makes it very versatile and easy to use. It makes learning a new language fun!!!

Duolingo is a great free way to work on learning a new language. It is extremely beneficial to our English Language Learners and for our students who are learning another language.

Duolingo review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"Great introduction to a foreign language"

What do you like best?

Fun and easy-to-use introduction to Turkish. I loved how the app looked and how it challenged you to study the language daily. It really helped me understand the Turkish language structure and basic Turkish vocabulary.

What do you dislike?

There is a limit to what you can learn. I wish Duolingo could offer more advanced Turkish language exercises. Or perhaps offer more exercises and scenarios at the levels they currently have. As it is, I have stopped using Duolingo for Turkish because of this limitation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to test the waters of a foreign language, and get a basic idea of how the language works, Duolingo is wonderful. Or if you are rusty and just want a quick brush up, then Duolingo is also a great option for you.

I gained mastery over basic Turkish words and phrases, which have helped me navigate daily interactions in Istanbul.

Duolingo review by Eric L.
Eric L.

"Motivating Language Software"

What do you like best?

I like that the individual lessons are not too intimidating and they incentivize you to complete them by offering rewards. In addition, I like how each lesson builds on the previous one.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there is no way to build on your vocabulary for individual sections. For instance, I am sure there are more words associated with household items, business, politics, etc, but you are limited to what's in the tree.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind there will be more vocabulary you need to research on your own. Also, this is a good starting point for becoming fluent but practice makes perfect. Reviewing articles and chatting with users allows you to learn idioms and phrases that true Italians use.

I have been able to feel comfortable translating and communicating with Italian individuals.

Duolingo review by Paul S.
Paul S.

"Duolingo is fantastic!"

What do you like best?

Each exercise in Duolingo has its own crowd-sourced discussion page to which users and highly skilled, in-house native-speaking administrators respond with nuanced answers regarding the grammar points the question covers. I am finding answers to questions and misunderstandings I've had for years about the French language. I've tried just about every method on the market (Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone, Michel Thomas, Living Language,Berlitz, etc.) I find that Duolingo provides a treasure trove of grammatical details that are often breezed over or just skipped in other courseware.

What do you dislike?

The one thing Duolingo doesn't really provide enough of is longer, realistic, conversation practice. . For that exposure, I have found the other methods mentioned useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

What have you got to lose? Try it!

Allows me to handle french-speaking client calls more effectively.

Duolingo review by Michael L.
Michael L.

"A Great Product That Is Free and Valuable"

What do you like best?

Duolingo is very good in teaching users different languages. This is bundled in with the fact that Duolingo is tidy and organized on the mobile and desktop versions. The way Duolingo dictates its purpose is through utilizing simple words that eventually form into sentences. From there, everything only gets bigger. And, at a free price point, there is no need to complain about anything.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about Duolingo. Honestly, the only thing Duolingo can really do to have big ups is to continually add languages like Chinese.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Duolingo will be your best "budget Rosetta Stone". When starting a new language, do not quit if it seems hard at first. Also, after a few months, keep at it because it will change your life.

The business problem solved is basically learning a language other than English. The benefits are immense as knowing other languages are a great way to allow one to experience the world in a greater scope. Duolingo is exceptional at offering a free product that will basically help anyone in getting started.

Duolingo review by Akash S.
Akash S.

"Amazing web application to learn languages"

What do you like best?

The interface is very friendly and easy to use. It gives a structured approach to learning languages of your choice and tests after every few modules. Also help you learn the right pronunciations for words which is often difficult while learning a new language.

What do you dislike?

So far in my use I have not disliked even a single feature provided by this web application. Its just what I wanted to learn a new language.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a no brainer if you want to start learning a new language. It might not teach every word of a language but is definitely a great place to start with as it build your interest in learning.

Currently I am learning Spanish using the service. It helps me achieve a daily target and tells me my progress. Not only does it give knowledge but it helps me to retains what I have learned.

Duolingo review by Wendy W.
Wendy W.

"Absolutely love it"

What do you like best?

This product challenges me in several ways to increase my basic skills and fluency of the spanish language. First, it sends me daily reminders to do my lesson. Second, it tracks my progress and helps me without me having to analyze where my strengths and weaknesses are. It provides me with instant feedback on the areas I need to focus. Thirdly, it awards me with prizes (access to more advanced lessons) as I practice more.

Its a win-win application.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more instruction on how to switch certain nouns and verbs. I was taught this back in high school, but since I haven't done spanish in a long time I have forgotten when to switch my nouns and verbs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great way to start learning a new language.

This hasn't really help me in my business ventures yet, but I am hoping to eventually be able to pick up more spanish speaking clients that need services. It would help me to provide support to the spanish speaking population as I know this is a population that could benefit from my services as well.

Duolingo review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Great casual language learning"

What do you like best?

The gamification aspect makes it easy to motivate myself to sign on daily, and to keep practicing once I'm there. The "ding" for a correct answer is surprisingly satisfying.

The spaced repetition of entire phrases leaves me with an intuitive feel for the language. Often, I'll write a phrase in French, then stop short, feel like something's "off," and catch errors. Instead of trying to memorize grammar rules with four or five exceptions, the system teaches you useful phrases and the style/sound of the language.

The availability of a pretty solid mobile application makes fitting in daily practice really easy.

The active community leads to continual improvements in translation.

What do you dislike?

When you first start, the repetition of the very few words you know is incredibly boring. You have to stick it out until you learn language structure and more words before it gets challenging enough to be fun.

The focus is entirely on translation (the business model depends on it), rather than learning to think and converse in the language. I'm not sure, but maybe this could get in the way of fluency if this is used as the only method of learning. For this reason, among others, your learning needs to be supplemented with additional material. This isn't necessarily a dislike, so much as a limitation that is probably true with any language learning system.

Pronunciation training is practically nonexistent.

The lessons on the mobile application seem to be easier or less rigorous. Probably, it should only be used for practice, not for learning new material.

The immersion section, which has the community translating real-world articles, while a cool feature (and the way they make money), is lacking consistent quality content

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick up other material to supplement your learning. Read books in the target language, read about grammar you don't really get, join an immersion group. Get the mobile app and practice on your commute, waiting time, etc.

I'm using it to get a solid foundation in French, and hopefully kick-start my way to fluency. It's not required for work, but it's something I've been trying to do for years now. I've never had a system to keep me dedicated enough until now.

I'm only about half-way through the whole main Duolingo course and so far. I've learned more of the language than I have throughout years of high school classes and so far, it's felt much easier to get here.

Duolingo review by Mark S.
Mark S.

"Expanding knowledge of a second language for future travel"

What do you like best?

Duolingo is easy and fun to use, encouraging me to go back for new lessons each day. With just five minutes of my day, my skills in Italian can increase in a big way, which gives me more confidence to pursue traveling outside of the US more often.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more opportunities to speak into the phone instead of typing everything. I have become proficient in Italian within the past few months as far as writing/typing, but if I went to have an actual conversation I think I'd have a bit of trouble.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd definitely recommend this app to anyone looking to improve their language skills, learn a new language, or prepare for travel abroad. I went to find a language app on my new phone and duolingo instantly popped out at me, and I haven't been happier with the outcomes

I'm primarily using this app for recreational use, and also to expand my language horizons. It keeps my brain active and gives me something to look forward to on my lunch break at work. Italy is next on my list of places to travel to, so I like that duolingo gives me great strides into becoming somewhat conversational (dialects aside).

Duolingo review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Have used Duolingo to gain a basic understanding of Portuguese speech and pronunciation"

What do you like best?

The fact that Duolingo is free is its best feature - I was looking to gain some familiarity and practice in a new language but did not want to pay for instruction. Since it is free, one cannot expect it to be a tool for becoming totally fluent in the language, but it is excellent given that it is free tool. It has been very useful for vocabulary especially, helping me learn important, basic words (food, colors, household terms, even pickup lines). The fact that it has a pronunciation tool (while imperfect) is also quite helpful. Its immersion tool, which requires one to translate passages of real texts which are then checked by other users, is also valuable and truly immersive in a practical manner.

What do you dislike?

I don't think Duolingo provides sufficient practice with verb tense. I don't have a good grasp of how to conjugate verbs in anything but the present tense, and I have used Duolingo for over a year.

I have not used Duolingo for business; my language skills in Portuguese are still too rudimentary. I would at some point like to be able to communicate in the language, but I still have too limited a vocabulary and an ability to conjugate verbs. I would need to use Duolingo more regularly in order to see such results.

Duolingo review by Jessica Leigh K.
Jessica Leigh K.

"Good way to learn a new language if you're consistent."

What do you like best?

Duolingo is a pretty neat app to learn a new language. It's great that it's a free app as well. The exams are repetitive so it really reinforces the new words and drills it into your head. I really like that there is an audio aspect to this app as well. It's great to be able to hear how the word should be pronounced, especially in languages like Italian where inflection of the word is really important. Along with being able to hear how the word/phrase/sentence should sound, it's great that they incorporate your electronic device's microphone so they can hear how well YOU'RE speaking, and you get rated accordingly. I also like the progression of tests, you don't move on until you've sufficiently completed prior tests/activities.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really come across major dislikes for this application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like any language program, in order to maximize the effectiveness of this app, make sure you are working with it on a multi-week basis, even daily if you have the time. It doesn't take up a lot of time per day to use, and I found that I was doing multiple sections in one go.

I am not currently using this application as a part of business. I am using it as a casual learner of a new language and to freshen up my French knowledge.

Duolingo review by Nick P.
Nick P.

"Great introduction to learning a new language!"

What do you like best?

Interface is simple.

Learning is fast.

It's incredibly easy to understand Duolingo and take lessons.

The minimum commitment when you want to learn is less than 5 minutes.

It's rewarding to have a sense of progress.

What do you dislike?

There is almost nothing I dislike about Duolingo.

It is one of my favorite applications.

If anything, perhaps it could have a more involved community? I never felt like I was able to communicate with other users easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get started as soon as possible!

Don't burn yourself out - take it slow.

Have fun.

I personally wanted to become fluent in a new language. Duolingo has been my starting point for both Spanish and German.

Duolingo review by Jordan T.
Jordan T.

"Free learning and it's FUN!"

What do you like best?

Duolingo allows you to learn a language on your own time. It gamifies language learning to make it a fun experience. the adorable mascot doesn't hurt either! It's particularly great if you want to brush up on some basics before going on a trip. It's fantastic for people who have never taken the language at all AND for people try to recapture some of their already-learned albeit buried language skill.

Also, when you have a question about something, you can click on the discussions and get your answer almost immediately. Or if your answer is not there, you can ask a question and get a response pretty quickly from people around the world!

What do you dislike?

The only downside is that there's a lot less requirement of actually speaking the language than a more traditional language learning program such as Rosetta Stone, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it! It's a great language learning tool!

Instead of playing games on your phone, play with Duolingo and learn another language!

I took Latin in middle and high school, then French for a year, followed by three years of college Italian. So when I discovered Duolingo I started with Italian to get it back and since then I have been addicted to it. I now have most of my Italian reading and writing back and have basic conversation in Italian and French! It was great for my trip to France over the summer! I found that for business reasons, it really boosts your resume and skill set to even have basic language levels and it really impresses clients and co-workers when you can use it at will.

Duolingo review by Justine W.
Justine W.

"I Love Duolingo!"

What do you like best?

It's easy to practice on the go, and on my phone. I also like that after some time it makes you repeat "courses" to strengthen your skills.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it doesn't hear me properly, and some of the sentences I learn are highly irrelevant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should still practice speaking with people and have other ways to learn the language i.e., books, classes, watching movies, reading the news.

I'm able to practice and refresh my memory on languages I already know, while learning new ones. I work with a lot of folks from different countries, so understanding at least the basics of their language helps me better communicate with them and understand where they're coming from.

Duolingo review by Matthew D.
Matthew D.

"Success with Duolingo"

What do you like best?

I like the easy to use interface which allows you to build onto you're understanding of grammar and vocabulary. It's easy to use and motivating to those with a busy schedule. The way Duolingo allows you to expand you're language fluency and challenge friends is a plus. The amount of languages that you can learn on duolingo is very impressive.

What do you dislike?

I wish Duolingo would expand upon lessons and vocabulary and create an ever evolving language tree. This would keep users who finish a certain tree to continue to use the product and in turn translate more web based material.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice Duolingo in conjuncture with real world conversation. USe Duolingo as a means to begin a language.

With Duolingo my relationship with Spanish speaking people I work with has blossomed and we are able to communicate and develop our friendships. For this I am very grateful.

Duolingo review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"Best Free Language-Learning Software "

What do you like best?

What I like best about Duolingo is the accuracy of the grammar. While there is a specific syntax they would like for you to master, the software is flexible enough to handle different variations of sentences with the same meaning. I also like how dynamic it is. You can never get bored going through the exercises.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the fact that there are not more languages! I would like to learn some East Asian languages like Korean and I would like to perfect my Japanese. As soon as you get some of those kinds of languages, I will be sure to give you a 10.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With the right kind of internal structure, this solution would be great for a company looking to teach its employees the basics of the languages supported. It simply requires discipline.

There are no specific business problems I am trying to solve, however, I am heavily involved in international sales and often use both Spanish and Portuguese to communicate with prospective clients.

Duolingo review by Kirsten E.
Kirsten E.

"The most fun way to learn a new language!"

What do you like best?

As a gamer, I love having the added challenge of earning points and seeing my name on the leaderboard. I love signing my friends up so that we can compete! The user face is absolutely stunning - it's colourful, playful, and helps make the learning process fun. I have used this app for the past three years, and I have drastically improved my French and German skills. It is easy to make time for a learning tool that feels like a game.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more unlockables. I like earning points and I would like to spend them on more lessons. It would be interesting to have more to spend my hard earned lingots on!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't think twice, the program is absolutely worth the low low price of free!

It's nice to have a way to learn a new language, at my own pace, and not have to worry about outrageous costs I have used other programs before, and nothing can compete with Duolingo.

Duolingo review by Kenan D.
Kenan D.

"Duolingo Review"

What do you like best?

I like that I can learn at my own pace, that I can take the Duolingo app with me on my phone and that I'm learning another language (or two or three).

What do you dislike?

I wish that the mobile app contained the Notes & Hints that the website has. Without that feature, it makes the mobile app more difficult to comprehend some of the nuances about the language and I use the mobile app for 95% of my usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's fun and it gives you a good start to learning a language.

I'm not using this for business yet. Using Duolingo does help me learn to express myself in different ways.

Duolingo review by Noel R.
Noel R.

"Easy, effective language learning tool on your schedule"

What do you like best?

I cannot recommend Duolingo highly enough. The modules are structured to be easy-to-use, while still ensuring that the user digests the language. Grammar and vocabulary are concisely laid out in simple terms, and each module is actually fairly interesting and relevant for anyone seeking to travel in a country speaking their language of choice.

What do you dislike?

It would be useful to have access to a Chat or other method of asking specific questions, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Duolingo is not particularly business-oriented for me, but the competency in a second language increases my standing in my chain of commands' eyes- which never hurts.

Duolingo review by Athreya A.
Athreya A.

"Great language learning tool, very entertaining"

What do you like best?

This is one of the best products I have ever used for learning languages. It is a truly fun and entertaining tool but is also extremely educational with all the activities provided for language learning. I also love how there are so many different languages supported.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how some of the activities can be a little basic but for a phone app, this is one of the most comprehensive language learning tools I have ever seen. There are almost no problems with this application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an extremely effective tool, especially for reviewing already known languages that you might have lost touch on.

We were solving how to expedite the process for learning different languages without costly softwares like rosetta stone, etc.

Duolingo review by Sarah B.
Sarah B.

"Easy, fun, and free!"

What do you like best?

This program works as a low-commitment immersion program - you can choose how much per day you want to practice, and work your way through the language. You can always work ahead, and there's a writing, reading, listening, and speaking component. You can track your progress by day to see how you're doing as well, and the interface is fun and user-friendly. Plus, you can see how your friends are doing on their goals and hold each other accountable.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the microphone can be a little finickier about the pronunciation than I think is appropriate, and background noise is always a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free and it makes you a better person, so you have nothing to lose.

With a busy schedule, learning a new language can be hard, and the daily, low-level immersion helps that be possible.

Duolingo review by User in Higher Education

"A great, free way to learn a language"

What do you like best?

Duolingo is intuitive to use, with a nice interface. It gradually teaches various levels of the language you want to learn, with the possibility of interacting with other people and being helped if in doubt about something. I find it the best free option to learn fast and practice both listening and writing

What do you dislike?

If the language you want to learn is a total mistery to you, then it will be a bit tough to start with Duolingo. This is because even though there are information boxes that you can read about the grammar, understanding the structure of the sentence from the start is not easy.

I believe that knowing different languages is a strong skill to put on your CV and it helps being more interactive. By talking to people in another language I strenghtened my self-consciousness.

Duolingo review by User in Higher Education

"A Superb, free way to have access to language learning tools"

What do you like best?

I like the easy to follow layout of the learning webpages, slowly building up your vocabulary and understanding of the grammar in different sections. I also like the idea of rewarding duolingo learners with perks and additional bonus content such as "flirting".

What do you dislike?

I do find that sometimes the algorithms end up repeating the same phrases/sentences, it also is way too ridged within the many different ways that something can be said, as well as if you make a typo that it doesn't recognize, it will immediately say you are incorrect.

Also, another technique apart from rote learning would be greatly appreciated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

I have noticed a significant improvement in the vocabulary and grammar of the German I am learning. I am still a way off, but I am enjoying every second.

Duolingo review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"A great way to learn a language on a busy schedule"

What do you like best?

Duolingo is a no brainer for people interested in learning a new language on a tight time scale. Instead of buying a large and expensive language learning software package or taking the time elsewhere to learn a new language, Duolingo takes that away and makes it easy and fun! I have found that I'm learning more and more every day while doing my three languages. Even more, you learn far more than recall, which is crucial when learning a language.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I would change is the fact that many of the lessons are repetitive. Though this could be seen as an advantage perhaps (learning through repetition) I would much rather be stimulated in myriad ways instead of the same three ways for a given lesson.

Recommendations to others considering the product

n/a

n/a

Duolingo review by Camrie F.
Camrie F.

"Fun, comprehensive way to learn the basics of another language!"

What do you like best?

I love the way this program teaches the learner using multiple modalities-reading, writing, visuals, speaking, and listening. The repetition helps you retain the new vocabulary far more effectively than using any one of those methods alone!

What do you dislike?

I would like the opportunity to access a wider variety of languages, but I hope that if the company is successful they will become available soon!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try! Helpful for learners of all types!

I am a speech language pathologist, and being bilingual is a huge asset in my field. It allows the therapist to provide higher quality treatment and communicate more effectively with clients and patients who speak languages other than English.

Duolingo review by Morgan Y.
Morgan Y.

"Brilliant language learning software"

What do you like best?

The fact that the app is constantly changing and adapting, through their own ideas but more importantly through taking on user feedback.

What do you dislike?

Incomplete features - the ability to buy new, fun classes with in-app earned lingots is brilliant but it has not been put to full use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to use it every day - the more intensely you use it, the more you will get out of it.

Duolingo gives me the ability to converse and analyse in French by giving me an extensive in-at-the-deep-end immersive experience.

Duolingo review by Richard B.
Richard B.

"Great Way of improving knowledge of language if you already have a base knowledge for the language"

What do you like best?

I love how it is free and easy to use. The lessons are simple but then become harder as you gain more knowledge. There are all kinds of different topics and categories that one can choose to focus on. One can leave comments on learning activities they have questions about and receive feedback from other students. The aesthetics of the website are nice and simple.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's hard to actually learn new concepts because a lot of the learning on duolingo is by memorization and rather than actually teaching concepts

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please keep duolingo free. Help duolingo users interact with other users better so they can practice learning the language with other people

Duolingo is a great way to further practice learning a new language

Duolingo review by Jenna W.
Jenna W.

"Duolingo is very helpful in learning a second language and I enjoy it greatly. "

What do you like best?

I am learning better Spanish and my fiance better English. We can compete against another in high score and both improve our biligual skills.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the part where you have to speak doesn't let me pass. I think I am saying it right, but not the owl.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it!! It works no matter what learning style you do best with. It will help you learn very quickly and easily!

Not problems per say, but it does help with tenant communication.

Duolingo review by User in Computer Software

"Amazing website to learn languages !"

What do you like best?

I'm currently learning Russian through Duolingo, even tough the course is still in a beta state officially, my experience has been really really good so far. The social experience is also really good with reminders and virtual goods. I quite like the fast that you can post on the forum for every single question with just a link on the bottom, this is a feature which is missing most of the time in this kind of tools.

What do you dislike?

Having a small tutorial to get you though the first test would have been a bit nicer (even if it's quite intuitive) but maybe I missed it by accident (minor detail anyway). Maybe adding even more gaming experience (rpg-like) would make the software even better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it, perfect software to learn a language, it also receives quite nice updates over time ! (including new languages).

I currently learn the language much faster compared to similar tools (like Memrise) and it's really nice to use. I actually have a basic grasp of the language now. I still use podcasts and watch movie to improve the listening skills but duolingo is definitely making a difference !

Duolingo review by Brad P.
Brad P.

"Fantastic Product"

What do you like best?

I literally recommend this product to everyone I know. I will definitely have my children use this product in the future. I took two years of Spanish in high school and thought that I just didn't have the aptitude to learn another language and I cannot give this product enough praise.

What do you dislike?

The comments section helps when there are areas of confusion. I think it would be nice if there was a short scripted instruction when new information is presented. For example, verb conjugation would be much easier if the general rules were explain (especially with irregular verbs).

I am a health and safety professional and full anticipate using knowledge of the Spanish language to further my career.

Duolingo review by Ariana J.
Ariana J.

"Fun for language learning"

What do you like best?

It makes learning a language like a game. Nice to compare results with friends and make it kind of a competition, also getting high scores yourself. The students really enjoyed using the product and would often play in groups of friends, challenging eachother.

What do you dislike?

Long quizzes sometimes. It would be good to make it easier to skip ahead on easy test or quizzes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fun and sometimes productive way to pass time and practice another language.

I recommended this app to students studying English. They would play it in the library during their free time.

Duolingo review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"Simple and Effective"

What do you like best?

I try to do DuoLingo 10 minutes a day. After I finished one of the language trees, I went back and I keep going over the skills in which I'm the weakest. One of the things I love the most about it is unlike other language programs, you can't ignore the parts you like the least -- it makes you learn them, which leads to a greater comprehension of the language.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes bugs make the same question repeat multiple times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have to do it every day. You'll get the most out of it by putting the most into it.

When dealing with Canadian companies, I'm able to have much more confidence while using my French.

Duolingo review by Bill H.
Bill H.

"Duolingo Spanish"

What do you like best?

Available 24/7 without setup and it's free!

What do you dislike?

I don't have more time to spend with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have taken Spanish courses at Community College, and tried Rosetta Stone, but with Duolingo I have learned far more, and now make it a point to review almost daily. It has become part of my routine. There is no doubt I will be fully fluent in Spanish soon.

Conversing with Spanish-speaking co-workers in their native language.

Duolingo review by Lucy T.
Lucy T.

"Really helped with my Italian. Super app! "

What do you like best?

Lovely graphics - especially the cute owl. This app really helped me to remember a lot of the things that I had forgotten. It brought back a lot of the Italian I had learnt at university. I like the variety of learning techniques available.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! It suits my needs completely. Well done Duolingo! It would be even betterif you could add some more languages in the future. I am especially keen to learn some Arabic.

Recommended to me by a college. I find it really helps my communication skills. I want to try and improve several of my weaker languages. Hopefully in time I can even go on to learn some new things too!

Duolingo review by User in Higher Education

"Great for learning languages"

What do you like best?

Out of all of the language learning softwares that I've used, I think that Duolingo is by far the best, by virtue of having such a well-designed application for both mobile and web. I've learned a lot using this application and found that it was really fun and easy to keep up with, since it feels like playing a game. I even use it to procrastinate sometimes...so maybe be careful =). Of course, there's no substitute for actual conversation and listening to native speakers, but I think that's just the natural limitation of any language learning tool. Eventually you're going to have to go out there and speak it, and the earlier the better.

What do you dislike?

There's not a lot I don't like about Duolingo. Of course, it would be great if they had more languages, but they're doing a really good job of gradually getting more going. It would be cool to see more of a community aspect, where people could practice talking to each other and maybe even facilitate meetups to practice speaking in the language.

I've been getting to learn new languages, which is great for both my personal and professional development.

Duolingo review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great Product!"

What do you like best?

DuoLingo is a great way to brush up on rusty skills, build your vocabulary, or learn a new language. It's convienient to use the mobile app on the go, and the website when you have access to a computer. I like that there are a number of different languages to choose from.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could use DuoLingo offline. It would be nice to use during air travel. I also dislike that some of the features in the web version are not avialable in the app. For instance, you can't use the flashcard feature on the app. That feature helps you to easily maintain your fluency. Sometimes it's hard to understand what the app is saying, even in slow motion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Duolingo is a great way to brush up on skills, learn a new language, or advance your knowledge. I found it helpful prior to traveling in another country.

I don't use DuoLingo for business. I have expanded my vocubulary, and become more confident in my communication skills. I traveled to Spain and was able to communicate with others in Spanish. I also traveled to France, and had enough basic skills to get by. I had previous experience speaking Spanish, but no experience with the French language. I was also surprised at how well I was able to understand French speakers. Duolingo's process of reading sentences to you in the other language was greatly responsible for my ability to understand French speakers.

Duolingo review by Éléonore M.
Éléonore M.

"Best language learning app, with impressive cross-device progress tracking"

What do you like best?

I like the use of the same vocabulary words over several lessons, and I like the fact that there are assessments every few lessons

What do you dislike?

the speaking part is not very helpful and can be offputting in some situations

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you start using this product, make sure to commit to one language because it takes a lot of commitment to make progress

I am able to speak Italian with foreign clients

Duolingo review by Justin M.
Justin M.

"So far so good. It helps. The full site has more features than the mobile app, so I use both."

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Explains words and usage well. I like the explanations if you get something wrong. and I like that you don't have to have all the terms and words exactly right for you to get an exercise right.

What do you dislike?

Mobile app lacks some features of the full site. Would like to have "immersion" available for mobile app.

Chose maybe "industry" to learn more specific words and terms for certain jobs.

I work in Mexico now. I have benefited from simple sentence structure, but it is so fast paced here and I don't know a lot of business & construction terms. I use supplemental sites as well.

Duolingo review by User in Internet

"An App for Languages"

What do you like best?

I like that the app has a level structure to it and that it is relatively easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it seems a little odd the vocabulary that you are learning especially early on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In order for the lessons to stick you have to be diligent and consistent in your use of the app.

Duolingo is a good app to give you a basis for learning another language. This app has helped me work with Spanish speaking clients.

Duolingo review by Sheilla C.
Sheilla C.

"Better used as a supplement to another learning course"

What do you like best?

Very very easy to use and simple to understand. It's free. The interface looks nice.

What do you dislike?

There are a limited number of languages on the app and it really cannot be used as the only tool to learning the language. This is probably best used as a supplement to an actual language course or other program that teaches the basics of the language as well as grammar. You should probably have some prior knowledge of the language before using this program.

Nice to use as a refresher for people who have taken a language course before or as a supplement to a current language course.

Duolingo review by Erilyn H.
Erilyn H.

"Duolingo- Spanish"

What do you like best?

I like how the lessons continue to build on one another. There's also a great amount of review as you progress, so you don't forget previous lessons. Earning stars is also encouraging.

What do you dislike?

I would like more variety in the lessons- where you can pick from more topics and have them relate to what you are doing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to use this product, you will need to be consistent and use it every day.

I've noticed how simple it can be to use for just a few minutes a day.

Duolingo review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"Duolingo is extremely useful for someone who is learning Spanish."

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to access and the great amount of vocabulary.

What do you dislike?

Often times, the words and phrases are repeated, so it needs more!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it as a good starting tool, but it is not the end-all, be-all for learning Spanish.

I am learning it to help me work as a teacher and a real estate agent. It has helped me to communicate with teachers and clients.

Duolingo review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Great free language app"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to start off with Duolingo, and learn the basics of a language quickly. The audio and visual prompts also help people hear and see different words and phrases in context.

What do you dislike?

I wish Duolingo asked more about users' goals when starting a language: for instance, if you're looking to pick up travel phrases in a few weeks, this won't be the best app for you. However, if you have some time to learn the basics, travel phrases will come soon enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good for learning a language; not so good if you're just looking for travel phrases.

I used Duolingo to pick up French language basics before traveling to France. It helped me recognize words and phrases - especially when ordering in a restaurant.

Duolingo review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"It's a useful supplementary tool to use when learning a new language"

What do you like best?

It has a good mix of speaking, reading, listening and writing.

I also like the way vocabulary is grouped. And it introduces grammar at the right pace and in a way that's easy to understand.

What do you dislike?

The spoken exercises don't always work that well.

I wish there was more of it.

It's improving relationships with my colleagues and business partners around the world.

Duolingo review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Duolingo"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can use this application to learn a language I'm not too familiar with yet. Not only is it a great application for adults, but also for kids. It's definitely kid-friendly, and I like that.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that users have to go through a series of classes in order to move on to the next lesson. I believe people with experience in Spanish should be able to click through the lessons without having to finish one after the other.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like my professor said, "If you don't use it, you lose it."

Being able to communicate with people who speak a different language from you. I think that's great.

Duolingo review by Rhett G.
Rhett G.

"Learning French with Duolingo"

What do you like best?

It's simple to use, has a game-like interface and is addictive. Especially lingots to take quizzes and track performance.

What do you dislike?

The vocabulary is a bit redundant. Grammar lessons could included and add to the effectiveness of learning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lingvist.io is complentary to Duolingo. Gameified vocabulary learning.

I've learned a good amount of french but am no where close to fluent.

Duolingo review by Angela L.
Angela L.

"Fun learning"

What do you like best?

It is a fun way to learn a new language. It is fast and simple to use.

What do you dislike?

I wish there would be more languages provided. For example Korean, or Chinese. Also if you add a new language by accident you are unable to remove it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hopefully more languages will be provided.

This would be a fun way to learn a new language on your spare time.

Duolingo review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Excelent gamified language learning app"

What do you like best?

The user interface is excellent, also the variety of exercices makes it easy to follow and specially the gamification keeps you "in the game" of learning

What do you dislike?

Grammar. It is not always clearly stated, or easily available.

Not really business benefits, just learning for my personal growth

Duolingo review by Santiago R.
Santiago R.

"Great deal of learning "

What do you like best?

Free, Audio, repeatition, Long term memory

What do you dislike?

no able to skip or preview some of the lessons

Recommendations to others considering the product

pictures, video from speech thru movie clips where speech is used

better fluency, just came back from a trip where i used all my new skills

Duolingo review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Excellent product, great learning tool."

What do you like best?

Being able to practice speaking, and the summary tests.

What do you dislike?

It seems a bit disjointed in the order of learning. I would like to learn common greetings first, and also how each letter should sound.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely put in 30 points a day. You learn more quickly that way, and it helps keep everything in context.

I can use it to communicate and exchange pleasantries with our Stockholm office. It really helps build up my relationship with him, since he's new.

Duolingo review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"I like Duolingo"

What do you like best?

For a free program/app, it provides a daily learning methodology that allows you to progress rapidly.

What do you dislike?

Having to refresh already learned material occurs too often. You need more grammar with verbs.

NA

Duolingo review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Fun but not great for quick useful conversational lessons"

What do you like best?

The pictures are bright and I like the usability of the app.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like that the first lessons are going through lots of animals that I really don't care to learn its names. How often will I need to know the word monkey in Italian. For my trip I wanted to know common, useful phrases.

Being able to communicate in another country.

Duolingo review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Duolingo Review"

What do you like best?

I love the repetition and how it goes back over words or phrases you struggled with on a lesson.

Just like the overall app and how it functions.

What do you dislike?

If there was anything I could change it would probably how quickly your strength bars go down and you have to review a lot before advancing. Minor thing though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

Duolingo review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Duolingo helps reinforce my intalian classes"

What do you like best?

Practice sessions you can go back to months later to help reinforce what you have learned earlier but not have to redo the whole exercise.

What do you dislike?

wish the earlier levels had more day to day vocab you would need vs animals, etc

it helps reinforce any grammar i am working on in class

Duolingo review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Almost perfect for free"

What do you like best?

I like the way it makes you learn. The conversational level

What do you dislike?

Sometimes i feel like it doest recognize well accent

Recommendations to others considering the product

Improve the voice récognition

I realized that i am much more confident when I talk to native speaker

Learning about Duolingo?

* We monitor all Duolingo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.