Eclipse

Eclipse is famous for our Java Integrated Development Environment (IDE), but our C/C++ IDE and PHP IDE are pretty cool too. You can easily combine language support and other features into any of our default packages, and the Eclipse Marketplace allows for virtually unlimited customization and extension.

Work for Eclipse?

Showing 795 Eclipse reviews
Eclipse review by <span>Soma G.</span>
Soma G.

Best IDE for Java Developers

What do you like best?

Eclipse is the super debugging tool, which makes us easy to put breakpoints step by step. Refactoring, code completion, syntax checking, navigation capability are some of the main features of the eclipse IDE. This tool is very useful for Java Developers. When we compared to other IDE's like Netbeans, it is lightweight. It is independent development platform.

What do you dislike?

It is big and complex to use. Adding libraries is the tough part sometimes. Server issues arises in case of errors and it is difficult to make the server run, if any library or package is missing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Eclipse IDE is the most popular tool used by the developers. It not only supports java language, but also supports other languages such as C++, HTML5,php etc. It saves our time with its best features. I strongly recommend this to all the developers as well as testers also, to use this IDE.

It is free to download and use. Code completion saves the lot of time, by using the tab on method names and data types. Finding and replacing the words or any methods or functions is easy through find and replace options. It supports other languages apart from Java. It is extendable and configurable. Error debugging is easy in this, we can move to the error line easily and debug. It only organizes imports. It is open source. Intellisense, Refactoring, plugins, imports are some of the best features of the tool.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Eclipse
Eclipse review by <span>Subodh S.</span>
Subodh S.

My eclipse experience

What do you like best?

I started using eclipse around 9 years before and was having very nice experience until my current project . Currently using this with GWT project which having lots of issue . But this issue can be easily fixed if you properly configure heap memory in eclipse '-Xmx4096m -Xss3M'

What do you dislike?

Not having very good support for working with GWT applications or GIT application.Eclipse community required to be more active so that together we can provide good support .

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always like to use ECLIPSE .Even right now also I recommend using eclipse because of ease of use and I know lots of shortcut . You can work on more than one app in a Workspace, which contains related configurations like perspectives, bindings, and other preferences you may want to reuse in different projects.

Using for web development for various component of application. We are using UI development along with GWT plugin. We also developed entity component by using eclipse.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Eclipse review by <span>Markus J.</span>
Markus J.

By and far the best IDE for (cheap) experts

What do you like best?

Eclipse is by and far one of the best inexpensive options for Java development on the market. While netbeans is an excellent beginners platform, Eclipse offers the tools that professionals are looking for in addition to the expandability they want in the long term. This is the perfect platform for small to moderate sized businesses that cannot afford a more expensive solution but still want a great IDE.

What do you dislike?

The only downside to Eclipse is that it does not have the best support for working with coworkers- i.e. there are no solutions for cloud deploying software and pushing updates without using git and other solutions. That is the only thing that I could see the team improving on, otherwise the service is excellent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider eclipse only if you are willing to learn the many tools that it gives you

Eclipse is what we moved our more experienced developers to, so that they could provide better integrated Java solutions. The benefits that we have seen is dramatically reduced cost associated with distributing development software to our developers, as in the past we have used paid IDEs that perform more or less the same,

Eclipse review by <span>Ruta D.</span>
Ruta D.

Reviewing Eclipse IDE

What do you like best?

Eclipse IDE is the best platform for the JAVA developers. It has all the libraries required. Along with JAVA they have also expanded their platform and introduced Eclipse IDE for C++/C and PHP which is great. Thus, C++/C, PHP developers can also take advantage of Eclipse IDE. I have also tried Eclipse IDE for C++ and had a good experience.

What do you dislike?

All the commands can be auto corrected which is the downside of it I feel as we get less scope to practice the commands on our own. Also various classes, packages along with the structure/format are provided which is again a disadvantage for a student if he/she is trying to learn the programming language. Sometimes it is very slow during the compilation and execution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are JAVA developer just go for Eclipse IDE. It was primarily introduced for JAVA Integrated Development Environment. It is cool, easy to understand and completely programming and user friendly. Also it has support for JAVA EE which contains various enterprise applications like Java beans and other APIs.

I used Eclipse for the academics projects and in the company for which I worked. It benefited me in the terms of providing huge library for JAVA and JAVA EE's Servlet APIs. It is very fast in case of programming. As it provides formats/structures for classes, packages etc. it saved my time and I was able to complete my task on time.

Eclipse review by <span>Gustavo A.</span>
Gustavo A.

Perfect Java IDE

What do you like best?

Eclipse is one of the best IDEs for Java. Is an open source tool for Java development, fact that turns it by several teams all over the world. The amount of available plug-ins are amazing and crucial for every software development.

What do you dislike?

The starting up is quite slow. The memory consumption seems to be "heavy". I believe that Eclipse development team is already working to improve this issue.

I also think that Eclipse should support more programming languages and provide more tools to developers, such as Visual Studio.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to work on different applications (Android, Java) use Eclipse. It's free and it does the job efficiently.

Explore the plug-ins available. There plenty of them, very useful and it's one of the most powerful features that this product provides.

At the moment I am developing distribution applications. The application that my team is developing uses a plug-in to move a robot, that is available for Eclipse (leJos).

I am also developing a mobile app and the experience using Eclipse has been amazing due to its plug-ins and friendly user interface.

Eclipse review by <span>Pushpandra P.</span>
Pushpandra P.

A must have IDE for Java developers

What do you like best?

Eclipse is very stable and easy to use integrated development environment (IDE). Especially when it comes to Java development, I think Eclipse is the must have IDE. In fact, not only for java development, but Eclipse has amazing community and support for other programming languages. Quite a few features in eclipse are amazing:

1.) Code refactoring: Eclipse has several features to refactor code. Rename, Move, Change Method Signature, Extract Interfaces, Extract Class and many more. All of them very handy and saves ample of time when you working on a project.

2.) Search: The search features is Eclipse is very vast. The search dialog box has lots of useful features and extensive capabilities. For example you can search for methods, you can search for class, type and many more.

What do you dislike?

I don't really see any issue with eclipse. However, in my experience there are some performance issues with eclipse. I ran eclipse on Ubuntu 16.04 and it takes quite a bit of time to open up and hang very often. In fact sometimes I have to restart my system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will definitely recommend eclipse for Java developers.

We are using it for Java development. For most of our Java projects we use Eclipse.

Learning about Eclipse?

* We monitor all Eclipse reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.