EMC NetWorker

EMC NetWorker backup and recovery software centralizes, automates, and accelerates data backup and recovery across your IT environment. NetWorker delivers record-breaking performance and a wide range of data protection options to safeguard your critical business data.

Work for EMC NetWorker?
Druva insync  qos  2x

Learning about EMC NetWorker?

EMC NetWorker Reviews

Showing 34 EMC NetWorker reviews
EMC NetWorker review by <span>Lisandro M.</span>
Lisandro M.

Administracion de los respaldos

What do you like best?

los respaldos se realizan con efectividad, en muy pocas ocasiones falla, la restauración es rápida, las pantallas de navegación son sencillas y puedes revisar lo que se ha respaldado, la capacidad que ocupo, ver el ID, y la la hora de restaurar puedes buscar muy fácilmente la fecha ID etc.

What do you dislike?

cuando se des configura es muy complicado re configurar los respaldos, cuando se trata de Bases de Datos, a nivel de archivos es fácil. Cuando deja de hacer un respaldo de las bases de datos de exchange se complica.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es sencillo de administrar e instalar, soporta la mayoría de las bases de datos, no se cae o dañan archivos, los datos se respaldan con seguridad, en ningún momento he bajado algún archivo corrupto, todos bien. Tienes una sección de reportes bastante fácil de utilizar.

Todos los respaldos en cintas de lo que tenemos en los servidores y en el almacenamiento EMC VNX, y cuando restauramos se hacer rapido, respaldos diarios semanales y mensuales, en cinta y disco externo USB.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about EMC NetWorker
EMC NetWorker review by <span>Viraj M.</span>
Viraj M.

EMC NetWorker

What do you like best?

How it ties to DataDomain and can talk to my VMWare environments.

What do you dislike?

How expensive it is and how it has fallen back compared to the other guys who are tackling VMWare backups.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Given the price point for this product, it will be better if one looks at Unitrends and Veeam for VM and Physical server backups. Unitrends while being a "smaller" company compared to Veeam or Commvault, surprisingly does really well. Veeam also does phonemically well in the backup space. NetWorker and DataDomain is now considered legacy technology and really hasn't kept up with the newer guys in terms of how quickly one can restore files and backup files.

Backups Mostly.

What Backup solution do you use?

EMC NetWorker review by <span>Tom B.</span>
Tom B.

Hopeful for its future but it was a proven failure.

What do you like best?

The large scope of supported client operating systems is a strong positive. Longevity of the product means there's a large base of experienced users with multiple community support forums. EMC continues to invest in development, so it's not a "dead" product. Product offers multiple backup targets and data migration options, e.g. disk-to-tape, disk-to-disk, disk-to-disk-to-tape, etc. Nearly every aspect is configurable making the product highly adaptive to complex environments.

What do you dislike?

We've proven that this product persistently misses some files, but not always the same files, causing our Oracle DB recoveries to fail. Working with EMC support for months to years never resulted in a solution. Oracle DBA's refuse to rely on Networker backups. For file server backups it was fine, but continued failures to backup critical files and not report on missed files caused us to move away from the product. It's origin is command line driven with vague GUI tools offering partial functionality. Longevity of the product means persistent backwards compatibility with means code bloating to support features and abilities no longer present in modern operating systems. Attempts to modernize the interface hasn't helped in the vast complexity in setup and use of the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although we are still using Networker v7 for some of legacy Solaris systems, we have moved away from this product for the simple fact that we've proven it misses file3, or did anyway from versions 5 through 7, which covers my experience with the product. Although EMC support was courteous, the problem was never solved. We are now using EMC's Avamar product for non-Windows systems and Microsoft's Data Protection Manager for Windows systems.

Products ability to define multiple network interfaces allowed us to backup systems in public, private and highly secured environments. Disk-to-disk-to-tape allowed us to backup to disk at local data center for quicker recoveries and also to tape for disaster recovery and archival purposes.

EMC NetWorker review by <span>Christopher R.</span>
Christopher R.

EMC Networker

What do you like best?

I would say I like the reliability of the product. I have been using it in my past positions almost 20 years. Nothing feels worse when a restore needs to be done and for whatever reason, you are not able to get the file(s) back. That is not to say other products are unreliable, but Networker definitely fits into my comfort zone. Over the years, I have used Windows, True64, and Solaris as backup hosts. When I started at my present job, we had Backup Exec everywhere with multiple backup hosts everywhere to keep track of. It was nice to consolidate all of them on a single target host.

What do you dislike?

The restore progress window in version 7.6 goes blank so you can't see what is going on. I am building a new server with version 8.2 so we will see if that is better and possibly if this is caused by a server bottleneck. Also, I must admit I have never looked to see if there is a solution to this, so it really just has been a minor nuisance.

Protection and consolidation from multiple backup solutions. DR with backup replication (Data Domain), cost savings since we no longer have to send tapes off site, daily.

EMC NetWorker review by <span>Christopher M.</span>
Christopher M.

Great product. Moving forward!

What do you like best?

I like the simple yet complex nature of the application. I appreciate the granularity. I really enjoy the command line interface. Being able to schedule and "forget" is a great option. Overall it is a great product and wish I could have worked with it more.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the product being developed using Java. It seems to be an insecure platform for what the end user might be using this product for. Searching through save sets can be unintuitive. Clicking a tab is not usually the first thing one would think to submit a search query.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To look into the virtual machine options as I have not. Make sure you're using the right menu for the job. Also, document the steps you use. There are many ways to automate a restore since some of them can take quite a while depending on your environment. As always, be careful and double check your work before moving forward. Backups are always important in an environment and can be the last "line of defense" when an issue occurs. This product gives a good peace of mind to both the end user and administrator.

I unfortunately was not involved in the purchasing and implementation of our rollout but, from what I've been told, it is comparable. It could be because of our use of similar products.

Backing up and restoring MSSQL databases. Taking a production backup to be sanitized and used in development is a great option.

EMC NetWorker review by <span>Matthew B.</span>
Matthew B.

emc Networker is the best enterprise backup solution I've used.

What do you like best?

Despite the revised GUI interface in recent years, which is excellent, like most applications built on UNIX technology, everything is a file/command line underneath. This gives me the confidence of being in total control of the product. I also just like the logical way it's designed, i.e. with clients that are added to savegroups, and savegroups that are run according to a schedule. It makes it easy to control the timing of the backups of specific systems in the enterprise.

I love the mminfo command for reporting on backup clients statuses - definitely one to learn!

What do you dislike?

As Networker is an enterprise backup tool, and has a necessarily comprehensive GUI that can be quite intimidating upon first sight. Once shown/trained on how to configure a client and add it to the backup schedule, it's really quite straight forward though and everything is pretty much where you'd expect to find it. For absolute confidence, I'd recommend formal training funded by your employer and embracing the command line.. It's one product that definitely justifies knowing what you're doing end-to-end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd definitely recommend official training. I was fortunate enough to have it back in 2000 and the product has evolved but the fundamental commands and the way it works remains the same. It is training you'd benefit from for your entire career as it doesn't become obsolete like many products from other vendors.

My current client has moved a huge number of servers, storage, databases and applications to remote datacenters and networker 6 and emc data domain were the products of choice to back it all up and de-duplicate the save sets which are then replicated to a second remote datacenter for disaster recovery purposes. backing up such a large eclectic mix of different nas vendors filesystems, vmware datastores, different databases on different operating systems along with exchange etc and replicating those savesets to a remote facility with very few failures is no easy task, but emc Networker makes it easy and Data Domain deduplication is so efficient that the unique blocks of saveset data achieve a 96% compression rate, making replication of that data to a remote site easy. You'd think that data that is that compressed/deduplicated would take an age to recover but in fact the opposite is true. Recoveries are insanely fast too. It is quite possibly the most impressive tech I've seen in a decade after VMWare ESXi. The details of the specific challenges overcome can be read on my blog here. I am independent and not affiliated with emc (at the time of writing).

Learning about EMC NetWorker?

* We monitor all EMC NetWorker reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.