EndNote

Find, use and share research with EndNote. It's for more than bibliographies. Sync your EndNote library across your desktop, iPad and online. Work on your research from anywhere.

Work for EndNote?

Learning about EndNote?

EndNote Reviews

Ask EndNote a Question
Showing 104 EndNote reviews
EndNote review by <span>Marlin D.</span>
Marlin D.

"The ultimate in sophistication for managing references"

What do you like best?

The fact that the major reference databases have a built in link to the web version of Endnote. Also like how automated it is to group the references in a many-to-many fashion so if writing on multiple topics simultaneously, the same reference can be grouped into the reference list for each article using it.

What do you dislike?

That when linking from reference database at a library's site to my account in web-based Endnote that it opens a new web window each time. Have to keep closing windows if adding a lot of article references. Better if it could hook back into the window that opened the previous time a reference was added.

Saves time in building a quick list of articles to go back and read. My benefits are with the work I am doing on my doctoral dissertation. Lots of groupings of references are easily managed. I can't imagine going back to the "bedspread" approach with note cards!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about EndNote
EndNote review by <span>Abdullah Umair B.</span>
Abdullah Umair B.

"Great citation management tool for writing dissertations."

What do you like best?

>A wide variety of reference types available. More than I've found in other reference management software.

>Gives the user the freedom to customize formatting and has a pretty exhaustive list pre-loaded of formats.

>Dependable even while working with large quantities of citations. I used it to wite my masters thesis which involved an extensive literature review.

What do you dislike?

>It is difficult to learn in the beginning. The help files are not really that useful The way the platform is structured isn't really intuitive. Took me weeks to figure out how to make my library.

>Even though I have access to EndNote right now through my university, I wouldn't once I graduate. It should have a free or a less expensive version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For someone who is about to write a dissertation, a thesis or even a journal paper this is definitely a good tool to streamline the whole citation process.

I am a graduate student and I need a reliable, reasonably smooth citation management tool to efficiently be able to cite literature and produce publication-quality documents.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

EndNote review by <span>Signe J.</span>
Signe J.

"Great for organising references, but not for inserting and editing citations in a document"

What do you like best?

The ability to organise and search your references

What do you dislike?

The word add-in of endnote is, at least with word 2016 on mac, to say the least a painful experience. Working with longer documents with many references, the endnote word-citations tool takes forever to insert and format citations, it will try to replace all parentheses in the text with references (meaning you could all of a sudden have references at random places in your text), and editing a single reference runs the risk of making a mess of the entire list of references. Furthermore, Endnote is not good at keeping up with office updates, meaning that it doesn't work with the latest version of Word (2016, version 16.xx)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not recommend endnote as a citation software, there are other programs that are better at this, but for organising references, endnote is satisfying.

Endnote provide a great way to organise and search your references, including pdf files

EndNote review by <span>Sara C.</span>
Sara C.

"Great way to organize references and notes"

What do you like best?

Two great things about EndNote:

1. Citations and notes can be combined into one file, so everything is available in one convenient place, even if I'm returning to a research project after months (or years!). I don't have to go hunting for things on my computer.

2. Easy integration with Word. The citation feature within Word works well, even for lengthy documents, and makes organizing citations very straightforward.

What do you dislike?

Probably the biggest downside of EndNote is simply that it's expensive, and there are various free options our there that do similar things. That said, if your university sponsors this (or you can get it reimbursed), I think it's well worth the money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To be most useful, I would recommend committing to doing all your citations through EndNote. It's a larger start-up cost, but once you get going it really is much more useful this way. You can use "Groups" to categorize citations for use in different research projects

Organizing citations and notes; properly and efficiently citing material in working papers and published research.

EndNote review by <span>Shirley-Ann A.</span>
Shirley-Ann A.

"If you like saving references for last -- this is a lifesaver!"

What do you like best?

Everything is one neat, organized table. I can search by many different variables and have the ability to import citations from online sources. Manual reference input is also quite simple - and takes the headache out of remembering which format is required for which sources.

What do you dislike?

The in-document citation and reference manager can be a bit annoying. Making manual changes within your document can be incredibly difficult - so you need to get the reference input right the first time!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really great for those having to keep track of several references. It also has an online login which I haven't used much - but you are able to log on from other devices if necessary. If you are able to categorize your documents early on, you will find Endnote to be such an easy way to call on references whenever you need them. You can even use it to search for terms and topics - making referencing headaches, a thing of the past.

Besides having a wonderful organization tool for all of my references, where I can organize by topic, year, author or whatever I please -- endnote takes the headache out of citing and referencing. The cite as you write feature is just invaluable. And the bibliography is magically taken care off while you write!

EndNote review by <span>Zachary H.</span>
Zachary H.

"Pretty good; although, not great at giving the desired formatting"

What do you like best?

I like that I can store all my pdfs online, so that I can download them from different locations. Once you have a GIANT library, it becomes really useful to be able to simply pull from the cloud. EndNote has made that a lot easier. The search functionality is really great, too, for searching within your library.

What do you dislike?

Very poor tech support. Sometimes syncing does not work, and it is not clear why. When you try to find a solution, you end up just poking around on the internet, since the turnaround on email/messaging-based customer support is so slow. As a user, you also constantly have the nagging feeling that you are not using EndNote to its full functionality. There are so many customizable things, but it is not entirely clear what any of them are or how to use them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out what else is available, but EndNote does get the job done. It's a little pricey...

I am solving the problem of having lots of pdf documents scattered across my computers. Having things in EndNote helps me keep track of what is there and, importantly, allows me to store additional documents in association with the pdfs -- documents such as notes or paper drafts.

Learning about EndNote?

* We monitor all EndNote reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.