4.1 out of 5
Do you work for EndNote?

EndNote Reviews & Product Details

What is EndNote?

Find, use and share research with EndNote. It's for more than bibliographies. Sync your EndNote library across your desktop, iPad and online. Work on your research from anywhere.

EndNote Screenshots

EndNote Reviews

1-50 of 123 total EndNote reviews

EndNote Reviews

1-50 of 123 total EndNote reviews
EndNote review by Andrea Q.
Lic. Biology
(Myself Only)

"incredible manager references all academic should use."

What do you like best?

despite having little time using this program, it is excellent to export citations directly from google books. Saves time. I have noticed that they have good publicity, but really could be better. However, it is one of the best known programs and given the amount of people using it, you may find material that complements the network experience

What do you dislike?

could improve the interface a bit to make it a little less sober. When handling many documents, the view gets tired. It would be good to improve the integrated office functions. They are a bit confusing to handle, especially if you have little experience with managers references.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Slightly improve the interface and create simple tutorials.

The academic papers require good management of references that will generate documents respecting quality and standards. With this work is provided. I have been able to significantly increase my level of organization, besides that I can share appointments with colleagues and make better joint work.

EndNote review by Marlin D.

"Manage biblio and inline references like a pro"

What do you like best?

The fact that the major reference databases have a built in link to the web version of Endnote. I am currently writing my doctoral dissertation using just the web version and even its trimmed down features have all the basics I need to fully manage my references. Also like how automated it is to group the references in a many-to-many fashion so if writing on multiple topics simultaneously, the same reference can be grouped into the reference list for each article using it.

What do you dislike?

That when linking from reference database at a library's site to my account in web-based Endnote that it opens a new web window each time. Have to keep closing windows if adding a lot of article references. Better if it could hook back into the window that opened the previous time a reference was added. This may not be possible with web version, but is annoying.

Saves time in building a quick list of articles to go back and read and take notes on. My benefits are with the work I am doing on my doctoral dissertation. Lots of groupings of references are easily managed. Have yet to search journal databases from within endnote, but see that you can. I can't imagine going back to the "bedspread" approach with note cards! I also am able to create subgroups for just a chapter I'm working on then combine for final version of dissertation.

EndNote review by Abdullah Umair B.
Doctoral Candidate - Advanced Engine Research Lab
(10,001+ employees)

"Great citation management tool for writing dissertations."

What do you like best?

>A wide variety of reference types available. More than I've found in other reference management software.

>Gives the user the freedom to customize formatting and has a pretty exhaustive list pre-loaded of formats.

>Dependable even while working with large quantities of citations. I used it to wite my masters thesis which involved an extensive literature review.

What do you dislike?

>It is difficult to learn in the beginning. The help files are not really that useful The way the platform is structured isn't really intuitive. Took me weeks to figure out how to make my library.

>Even though I have access to EndNote right now through my university, I wouldn't once I graduate. It should have a free or a less expensive version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For someone who is about to write a dissertation, a thesis or even a journal paper this is definitely a good tool to streamline the whole citation process.

I am a graduate student and I need a reliable, reasonably smooth citation management tool to efficiently be able to cite literature and produce publication-quality documents.

EndNote review by Signe J.

"Great for organising references, but not for inserting and editing citations in a document"

What do you like best?

The ability to organise and search your references

What do you dislike?

The word add-in of endnote is, at least with word 2016 on mac, to say the least a painful experience. Working with longer documents with many references, the endnote word-citations tool takes forever to insert and format citations, it will try to replace all parentheses in the text with references (meaning you could all of a sudden have references at random places in your text), and editing a single reference runs the risk of making a mess of the entire list of references. Furthermore, Endnote is not good at keeping up with office updates, meaning that it doesn't work with the latest version of Word (2016, version 16.xx)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not recommend endnote as a citation software, there are other programs that are better at this, but for organising references, endnote is satisfying.

Endnote provide a great way to organise and search your references, including pdf files

EndNote review by Eric B.
Research Librarian
Research

"Review for EndNote X9"

What do you like best?

Several things: You can save or export citations from several databases (PubMed, Google Scholar, Agricola, Web of Science, etc.) into EndNote; you can paste citations from EndNote libraries into a bibliography using Copy Format; you can sync citations from the desktop version to the web version, and vice versa; you can import PDFs to citations.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when citations are imported into EndNote, not all the fields (e.g., subjects, abstract) are included. PDFs are often not available when importing citations, so you have to search for PDFs in other sources so that they can be added to the citations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn all the various ways to import citations into EndNote, especially when searching databases. Review instructional videos on how to use EndNote.

I perform literature reviews for researchers at my current job, and I use EndNote X9. EndNote is great for creating libraries of citations, which you can add more citations to then copy and paste the citations, including abstracts, into a document. I used EndNote X7 at a previous position, which again was very useful in compiling bibliographies when conducting database searches.

EndNote review by Sara C.
Assistant Professor
Higher Education

"Great way to organize references and notes"

What do you like best?

Two great things about EndNote:

1. Citations and notes can be combined into one file, so everything is available in one convenient place, even if I'm returning to a research project after months (or years!). I don't have to go hunting for things on my computer.

2. Easy integration with Word. The citation feature within Word works well, even for lengthy documents, and makes organizing citations very straightforward.

What do you dislike?

Probably the biggest downside of EndNote is simply that it's expensive, and there are various free options our there that do similar things. That said, if your university sponsors this (or you can get it reimbursed), I think it's well worth the money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To be most useful, I would recommend committing to doing all your citations through EndNote. It's a larger start-up cost, but once you get going it really is much more useful this way. You can use "Groups" to categorize citations for use in different research projects

Organizing citations and notes; properly and efficiently citing material in working papers and published research.

EndNote review by Shirley-Ann A.
Faculty
(10,001+ employees)

"If you like saving references for last -- this is a lifesaver!"

What do you like best?

Everything is one neat, organized table. I can search by many different variables and have the ability to import citations from online sources. Manual reference input is also quite simple - and takes the headache out of remembering which format is required for which sources.

What do you dislike?

The in-document citation and reference manager can be a bit annoying. Making manual changes within your document can be incredibly difficult - so you need to get the reference input right the first time!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really great for those having to keep track of several references. It also has an online login which I haven't used much - but you are able to log on from other devices if necessary. If you are able to categorize your documents early on, you will find Endnote to be such an easy way to call on references whenever you need them. You can even use it to search for terms and topics - making referencing headaches, a thing of the past.

Besides having a wonderful organization tool for all of my references, where I can organize by topic, year, author or whatever I please -- endnote takes the headache out of citing and referencing. The cite as you write feature is just invaluable. And the bibliography is magically taken care off while you write!

EndNote review by SHRUTI S.
Food & Beverages

"Citation software for scientific literature "

What do you like best?

Helps me compile all references for research prose in a click. I jusy have to sync my files with endnote and update my library. I can choose the style I want for referencing pattern

What do you dislike?

Works only with pdf files and some files are not easy to locate. There are not many options for referencing style so I feel stuck sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that endnote is an amazing citation software and works better than even Mendley which is supposed to be one of the best. I would highly recommend using this software to all the people who work with scientific papers or any othet kind of publications. In fact, it will work equally well with all kinds of publications... I got it for free from my university and have been using it to the fullest!

I have been using it for scientific writing for academic purposes.It can also be used for professional applications and I believe will work wonders there too.

The biggest benefit I have enjoyed is that writing for research publications has been made hassle-free ever since I started using Endnote.

EndNote review by User in Nanotechnology

"Nice functionality but expensive with many technical issues"

What do you like best?

This is great for adding references while writing. The search algorithm is decent, definitely better than Mendeley's. I love how it automatically collects all of the references in the document you are currently working on into a tab for you. I love its find full text function. I switched to Mendeley (free version) I miss these two functions so much.

What do you dislike?

Every paper I have working on has corrupted when using EndNote. I've lost over 20 hours on the phone with tech services. My documents generally have hundred of references and are 30-50 pages long, so losing all of that is several days of work. I also hate that when they update software, it doesn't always play well with the most recent version of Word, so sometimes you have to re-download old versions of Word. Then when they do update it to work with newer versions of word, they want you to buy the newer version of EndNote, which is >$100, not a small amount for a graduate student.

Recommendations to others considering the product

EndNote has great functionality but terrible customer support. Additionally I've never had a paper that has not been corrupted when using EndNote. Its not worth the money.

I use it to write scientific articles and reviews with hundreds of references. I also use it as a reference manager in general to organize my references. I no longer use it for documents, but since I already have it, sometimes use it instead of Mendeley (free version) to look up categories of references because it does this much better.

EndNote review by Zachary H.
Ph.D. Student
(10,001+ employees)

"Pretty good; although, not great at giving the desired formatting"

What do you like best?

I like that I can store all my pdfs online, so that I can download them from different locations. Once you have a GIANT library, it becomes really useful to be able to simply pull from the cloud. EndNote has made that a lot easier. The search functionality is really great, too, for searching within your library.

What do you dislike?

Very poor tech support. Sometimes syncing does not work, and it is not clear why. When you try to find a solution, you end up just poking around on the internet, since the turnaround on email/messaging-based customer support is so slow. As a user, you also constantly have the nagging feeling that you are not using EndNote to its full functionality. There are so many customizable things, but it is not entirely clear what any of them are or how to use them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out what else is available, but EndNote does get the job done. It's a little pricey...

I am solving the problem of having lots of pdf documents scattered across my computers. Having things in EndNote helps me keep track of what is there and, importantly, allows me to store additional documents in association with the pdfs -- documents such as notes or paper drafts.

EndNote review by Sam L.
Postdoctoral Fellow
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Easy to use software that manages references and integration into your document"

What do you like best?

The ability to organize your references by category makes it easy to sort through your collection. Also it is integrated with Microsoft Word so you can easily cite a reference from your database while typing in Word. Formatting of your bibliography is also very easy using Endnote. Even if the software does not have a particular journal's formatting requirements, you can easily download the format from the journal and sync it with your Endnote library.

What do you dislike?

Searching using a single field (i.e. "title" or "author") for a reference in an online database often does not turn up the result you wanted, which forces you to search using multiple search fields filled in. Sometimes when searching with a single author also may not turn up the reference you're looking for, and typing in multiple authors may be required.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many many features with Endnote - a tutorial for your employees would be beneficial.

This makes publishing a breeze, saving you loads of time on filling out references for your paper or article.

EndNote review by Mathieu G.
Maître de conférences

"The best reference management software "

What do you like best?

the ability to search directly on pubmed.

the ability to search directly on the library of congress.

the ability to use a very high number of citation styles corresponding at a lot of journals and reviews.

the perfect integration into Word make it really easy to use, you just have to click to insert your reference and your bibliography is automatically reformated!

tha ability to synchronyse your librairy on the cloud in order to be sure not to loose it or just if your abroad ans you need to find a publication and the PDF with (indeed you can stock pdf in you library, so you don't have ton search each time on the database, it is also a gain of time.)

What do you dislike?

sometimes it's difficult to know if we should make a single library or a library by project.

It is not always easy to import references such as laws, regulations or even government documents.

Sometimes the library is corrupted, there is a tool to repair it, it works, ok, but that's a little bit annoying. That is maybe the blackest point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As for me it is a gain of time in my job when i write my publication.

If your a PhD student, a searcher it worth to by this software.

I win a lot of time for making my bibliography, and I can reuse references that I have already used in the past

EndNote review by User

"Ideal for managing references "

What do you like best?

It allows to add, edit, and organize references and citations in any kind of document in a easy and efficient manner. I also love the travel library feature because it facilitates team work.

What do you dislike?

I do not really dislike any of this software. Sometimes the library (of saved references) crashes but after closing and opening the program again the issue is solved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not sure if you will like this program start with EndNote Web which offers most of the features of the full version for free.

It allows me to manage multiple references in scientific documents in a easy manner. A big plus of this program is that multiple people can work on the same document at the same time, and when all parts are merged EndNote organizes all references without disturbing the document. Before organizing "merged" documents was very tedious.

EndNote review by User

"Endnote crashes with Mac and wipes out my work in MS Word, too."

What do you like best?

I do not like anything about this software. It is horrible.

What do you dislike?

Since the OS update, Sierra, 10.12.6, Endnote crashes when I try to open a reference, read a pdf, or insert a reference into my word file on my Mac. Further, it crashes Word and all work is lost! It's a disaster and they are not updating it. If they expect me to spend more money on this junky software, they are nuts. I can't get any help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use this software unless you want to loose hours of work. I called support staff at Endnote and was told there was nothing they could do. I tried reinstalling and that did not help. They have not updated the software for Mac. I wasted a lot of time and money on this software and it's so frustrating.

There are no benefits. It is flakey, pernicious and awful, terrible software .

EndNote review by User

"Easy to use among other similar softwares"

What do you like best?

You can store your references in a file, group them, attach pdfs to references, add sticky notes to the references, search any word, author, journal etc... It is practical and easy to use. 'Cite while you write' property saves your time. If you need to change the bibliography style, endnote has various output styles. I'm sure you will found what you need. But even if you would not find you can create your own output style.

What do you dislike?

sometimes when you copy references from a word document to another word document, the word file could be inactive for a while especially when you work with big endnote libraries.

Endnote provides to make citations and organize references with ease. I prefer to use endnote when I write articles or thesis to make citations.

EndNote review by Lindsey C.
Assistant Instructor-- V501 Anatomy & Physiology of the Eye & V633 Contact Lenses
Medical Practice

"Great resource for abstracts, research or peer-based reviews, and scientific articles/papers"

What do you like best?

I love that you have the option to search in different databases, allowing you to gain full access to a broad spectrum of articles that have been published.

What do you dislike?

How hard/complicated it is to learn how to use the program. This is not an easy learn nor is it successful with many students who are writing articles. Though it can make citing resources 10x easier, the lack of a tutorial or step by step guide of how to use EndNote is its downfall. Also getting it to link correctly with Microsoft word/Mac Pages is not clear.

This program saves numerous amounts of time of having to write/look up different referencing styles and formats. Overtime, the ease and use of this program has gotten better, but still was very difficult early on to learn

"EndNote"

What do you like best?

EndNote makes my literature reviews so much easier by organizing information efficiently and effectively.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I have come across thus far in my use of EndNote that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have worked with a library database, this is similar in a sense, so hopefully it will prove almost intuitive. It is really helpful when it comes to organizing sources that you are gathering to write a literature review, or a full blown research report, paper, or project. You can organize in any way that makes sense to you, and then look up your sources in meaningful ways. You are also able to store citations, and their corresponding in text citations for ease of use. It makes the writing process so much easier!

At a research university, there is a need for faculty to research to develop the university and the matters of study. That being said, they also have to balance course loads (at least at our institution), unless their courses are bought out for research purposes. Often, faculty are serving the universities and their disciplines in other ways, too. That being said, they are busy people and can benefit from a software that organizes their work.

EndNote review by Jade M.
(5001-10,000 employees)

"the reference software you need"

What do you like best?

Endnote was a software I used for a short period of time in it's early stages. When I came back to pursue my Ph.D. this software has helped organize all of my reading for classes helping plan my comprehensive exam and helping me to prep for my dissertation. A must have for any academic

What do you dislike?

Some of the useful tools don't feel intuitive. Like I know can back up my library but where that goes and who has access to that or how to retrieve it is unclear to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I got mine through my school for about $20. Prior it was free through my schools library. For students and faculty connected to an institution this will be much more affordable. I have no idea what the non dis count cost would be like.

This helps me to manage all of the research projects I am juggling at one time as I prepare for my career as an academic and scholar

EndNote review by Elaine A.
Chief Library Service
Hospital & Health Care

"EndNote, 20+ yrs old & the most user friendly & function filled ref mgmt tool is just the best!"

What do you like best?

Easy importing references, labeling them & grouping them, journal citations from our offsite & inside the firewall collections. Especially the ability to search INSIDE PDFs once downloaded!! Customizable fields, output styles, SUPPORT Desk!! Trainers, Doug Nguyen!!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that some full text cites (PDFs from OUR collection) do not successfully import, due IMO from extra clicks, other publisher formatting issues, etc. Often a lengthy unintelligible URL is the cause, as well. Adding these by hand is often very time consuming. It is the fault of the publishers that this happens, not EndNote.

Recommendations to others considering the product

EndNote brings enormous efficiency to the searching and writing research papers process for VA researchers, for librarians it offers enormous efficiency for effectively downloading citations, de-duplicating them, adding full text, and then fine tuning the search results by searching in-depth amongst the cites AND the full text content. Amazing!

We're a federal agency, but we use it for tracking clinician/researcher professional output, presentations, etc. AND, we can customize it for all sorts of types of information, historical objects, etc. Our users love EndNote! For clinicians, they use it when writing articles, reviews, and researchers use it for grant applications, tracking paper publications, etc. We use it for creating customized literature updates for various clinical departments/fellows/residents.

EndNote review by User

"Essential Tool for Researchers"

What do you like best?

Cite while you Write addition- it automatically updates and organizes my citations. Super helpful and convenient.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I can't edit the citations in word and have it update my database. Also, it would be helpful to have a feature that more accurately obtains the citation information from common search engines. When importing citations from a downloaded citation, it is often full of errors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Has both a web-based and desktop version, which is helpful if you use multiple computers. Syncing the different platforms can be challenging, but as long as you typically use one, rather than the other, it works out. Regardless, the flexibility that the cloud and desktop options offer far out-weight the cons.

The cite-while-you-write extension is great for those of you who typically use Microsoft Word. While there's no check on whether it's correct or not, the fact that it auto updates and sorts alphabetically has drastically cut down the amount of time I spend on the references section.

I am a researcher and organizing all of the sources in which we obtain data from is an essential tool to have. Endnote does this for us in one spot, allows us to share citations and add additional notes onto the references.

EndNote review by Christopher B.

"Almost essential for large research papers"

What do you like best?

It really helps with managing the HUGE number of citations you can end up with in a very large research paper. there is probably a break even point in number of citations where it is worth the effort to learn how to use endnote. I would say something with at least 50 sources you cite. It also has good integration with Word. (usually, I'll get into that later) it also makes it easy to pull citations in from websites and it easily can switch between formats if for some crazy reason you need to do that. But even so it is almost essential to write a large research project. It also can pull it from PubMed easily which can be irritating sometimes to deal with yourself.

What do you dislike?

I wish they would keep up with the upgrade cycles of word better. I know it might be difficult to do if they aren't able to have the software ahead of time but I assume they should be a part of the beta testing or something. Sometimes it has taken a week or more to get an update with the word plug in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check if your university offers free licenses for you to use.

It helped me manage a large number of citations in a large research paper with about 150 citations and at least 600 pages of research. I took a class offered by my University that helped me learn to use it which I think helped a lot. It was only an hour and helped me understand how to use it much better.

EndNote review by Mike G.
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Medicore and outdated software for keeping track of academic references"

What do you like best?

Ability to access citation formats from a wide range of academic journals and simultaneously export multiple citations to your word processor (particularly, I use Microsoft Word). The ability to organize by folder, as well as link citations with their associated files and journal websites is also useful. Similarly, EndNote allows for relatively easy annotation of associated files for references saved to EndNote's library.

What do you dislike?

I find that the syncing feature, if one is operating on more than one computer, is temperamental and suffers from bugs that result in partial or no functionality. Also, while EndNote has a number of appealing features, implementing these is somewhat cumbersome and the software is poorly integrated with other software compared to other reference management software (for example, integration with web browser provided by Zotero).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software can be cumbersome to use and often has bugs that decrease its overall utility as bibliographic software. EndNote probably has some features that will be useful to some users, but I prefer other, easier to use software such as Zotero for my bibliographic organization needs.

Although EndNote is freely available at my institution, I have discontinued my use of the software because other software, notably Zotero, is easier to use and more integrated with other applications that I use on a regular basis (particularly, web browser integration with Zotero makes creating references much easier compared to EndNote).

EndNote review by Fiona S.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Nimble for intext references, feels a little old school"

What do you like best?

Endnote beats every other reference software for flexibility with in-text referencing. I like that every reference is editable by field and you can combine multiple styles within a document (eg to start a sentence, insert in a table etc). Also easy to get references into it. However I traded in for Papers which has greater functionality as a PDF organizer as well.

What do you dislike?

Nowadays a reference software really needs to be a PDF manager too, and Endnote just doesn't have as much functionality as something like Papers for organising PDFs with a sleek interface

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are happy with basic PDF management, want flexibility in text and want something sleeker than Mendedely, Endnote might be worth the cost. The license is annual rather than perpetual which is a consideration.

Certainly removes the frustration I have with other referencing softwares for the production of scientific manuscripts- easy to copy and share libraries between collaborators.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Great reference manager, not so great price."

What do you like best?

EndNote is by far the best reference manager in the market. Everything comes with a price, though. I get EndNote from my institution, but the market price for the software is kind of pricy. However, EndNote does not disappoint: its features are way better than Mendeley, for example. Great features include the integration to Microsoft Office and iWork suites, and the ability to create libraries, share citations, and synchronization with EndNote Web.

What do you dislike?

I have had problems with EndNote and Microsoft Office for Mac. However, all have been fixed, and now I have no issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a reference manager software that works 100% of the time, go for it. I would even pay for it if my company did not. It is worth the investment for such great compatibility and cloud synchronization.

I feel I gain a lot of time while using EndNote. No more reference formatting, no more checking every line of the text and the reference list to see whether they match. Formatting references take time, and I do not have to worry about it anymore. Also, I now have all the references I use in one place, so it is easy to find that PDF or that paper to share citations with colleagues.

EndNote review by Heidi R.
Graduate Research Associate
(10,001+ employees)

"Endnote Saves Tons of Time"

What do you like best?

Once citations are added to a library, it's easy to insert them Word documents and to change the style or formatting of the references.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the Cite While You Write Function is a little slow and clunky to update new citations.

Endnote helps me to keep my references straight and organized and saves me a ton of time when it comes to using these references in scholarly articles that I write. I have accumulated a massive library of citations over the years and it would be a huge time suck to have to look up and manually write out these citations each time I use them, plus reformat them when I send them to different journals that require different styles. Other reference managers I have tried in the past have not be as easy to use and keep organized as Endnote.

"Great tool"

What do you like best?

So many different citation styles available, and you have the option of downloading even more. Also, it update the citations list itself and is more accurate than any other tool I've used so far. It keeps track of all the pdfs and journal articles that I've ever cited and they're organized by which document I used them in. It doesn't slow down my computer at all, so I even downloaded it on my personal laptop!

What do you dislike?

Some minor mistakes here and there but overall there's not much to dislike. You just have to make sure that the reference list is consistent and that you have the correct style for formatting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you experiment so that you're making the most of the software!

Used primarily for sending literature reviews for submission.

"Useful Citation Service"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to organize all of the documents and citations that I need in one space. It is good that I can also upload PDFs of the documents to allow me to create an archive of information for later use.

What do you dislike?

The citation tool is often off and the bibliographic information needs to be edited. The citation style is sometimes incorrect, and the fields for bibliographic information are not always intuitive and the export service is difficult to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you know that the software is not perfect and that you will need to rewrite some citations/footnotes to fit the requirements of certain style guides. It is also important to know that you may need to experiment with what information you put in what fields for each source type in order to get the bibliographic result that you need. This software is perfect for keeping everything in one place, but don't expect it to generate perfect citations for you.

I am using this software to organize bibliographic information while I am working on my doctoral degree. I anticipate that I will continue to use it to keep all of the texts/sources that I use and have used in one convenient place.

EndNote review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Universal reference program"

What do you like best?

It seems to be the most popular reference program among scientists. When co-authoring a paper it is almost essential all participants are using the same reference program. The program can take some time to adjust to, but once you get in your flow it's a life saver! It has several different formats available (e.g., APA, Vancouver, etc).

What do you dislike?

It can be buggy especially if you are working with an older version and a newer version of Microsoft word. For example, if I want to copy and paste any amount of text with a reference in it then I must first turn off the automatic update and unformat the references before moving them around. The interface is not super user friendly, but with practice I do believe it is the best software available and used by the scientific community.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask colleagues what they use. It will be easier to all use the same software.

Instead of having to manually write in your references and bibliography, it automatically inserts the information. You simply have to find he paper you wish to reference in one of the databases and add it to your library. Additionally, if you want to rearrange your sentences it automatically updates everything.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Effective tool for scientific writing"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you can cite sources as you write, and work on you scientific paper. It makes it easy to format the citations whichever way you prefer, as it provides options for formatting citations required at a specific journal or publication. It arranges and characterizes all your citations and sources, such that you can view the entire citation/publication with one click, and refer back to them when required, and saves a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

The user interface can be slow. And understanding and familiarizing yourself with endnote can take a lot of time. It usually requires a lot of instructions, so as a new user, people might find it frustrating and time consuming.

Makes scientific grant/paper writing easy once you've mastered endnote.

EndNote review by Antoine C.
Sales Support Supervisor & Margin Manager
Consumer Goods

"Why Not End Note Your Bibliography "

What do you like best?

End Note is a great way to document your life in a efficient and safe manner. End Note provides great functions like allowing up to 100 people to work on the same document, this provides and extension from the service google provides with their DOCS and SHEETS. In my work, we have collaborated on tons of docs, where multiple users have

What do you dislike?

End Note is of course a virtual document unless one, completes the documents, download then store and delete. In today's society, the constant need for secure technology is vital to ones, privacy and sustainability. Hacking is something, we must all consider as we approach times of more advance technology and transparency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommendations of using EndNote would be to, practice great security measures, among team members and peers. As always, read the fine print to ensure EndNote is going to meet all of your business service needs in such capacity. EndNote is a great service, my final tip would be: have fun with it!

End Note solves the simple problem of providing users the seamless function of writing, organizing and collaborating on documents and more. End Note provides an option for users beyond other services such as Google DOCS & Sheets .

EndNote review by Kamolrat (Gift) M.
Ph D. candidate
(10,001+ employees)

"The most popular reference management software, I have been using for decades. "

What do you like best?

It integrates with all the microsoft office softwares therefore I can use it in both manuscript writing and presentation preparation. It is super easy to use and I can store my reference library online so I can access it from everywhere. Cite while you write function is the best thing ever. It automatically updates your reference order while I write which helps tracking the correction of my references.

What do you dislike?

It works best with Journal reference search using pubmed but for books and other types of references the search function does not do a good job. Most of the time I have to manually input other types of reference which may lead to error or typo. Also there are some bugs with word integration, you need to be careful when copy and paste during editing your manuscript. Sometimes the reference links automatically unlinked and you mess up all the reference order. It should have the redundant reference prevention.

Cite whole you write sometimes slow down your computer because it keeps updating. Therefore it may cause word crash.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend EndNote for education professions. This software really makes your life easier. The most difficult task is to build your reference library groups. After that you can add these references whenever and wherever you write.

Save a lot of time on reference management. No manual update reference number while typing. You can make a copy of your reference library and give it your colleagues as well. This helps a lot with co-project.

EndNote review by Renée S.
Research Area Specialist
Research

"Easy to use reference management tool"

What do you like best?

EndNote is quite easy to use and offers a dozens of options for how to structure your reference list. I also like the fact that you can edit the reference and EndNote saves the reference exactly how you want it.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, it has been difficult having multiple users access the same EndNote file concurrently. Maybe there have been advances in the system at this point, but this was not possible when we were trying to use it at work.

We write a lot of papers at my place of employment, and using EndNote has helped manage all of the references we use in our various papers. Overall, it makes for a more efficient use of time and helps to add consistency to the papers we are writing.

EndNote review by Ashley W.
Livestock Area Assistant Agent

"Easy to use product"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use with endnote. There is no long syncing periods like I found with other reference manager software. I like being able to organize my articles by type/project, it makes me much more organized and efficient in my writings (I write a lot of somewhat varied topic articles for work). I also love being able to search for articles within endnote and use it to search the web. Most articles pre-populate correctly. The smooth syncing with Microsoft word is extremely nice. I also like being able to search within my library of files.

What do you dislike?

Would like to be able to build a bibliography/works cited section without having to insert in-text citations. Some of my writings don't need/want in text citations, just a references page at the end.

Sometimes the library file can get a tad bit big if you have a ton of citations imported.

Some articles don't quite pre-populate correctly

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend spending a little time to ensure you have organized your article library properly. this will save you tons of time and headache later.

Double check that all of your references pre-populated correctly

The in-text citation feature works very well, it will insert or delete things from your bibliography as you insert or delete citations. I have not yet found a way to insert just a bibliography/works cited page without in-text citations.

Education - creating articles and documents educating our stakeholders

Writing grants to do applied research and education

Research and academic writing.

EndNote review by Lea M.
Research Scientist
Higher Education

"Excellent reference management software"

What do you like best?

Easily keep track of existing references and import new ones from your computer or directly from popular databases. Also allows you to easily “cute while you write” in Microfost Word. Works well on Mac and PC platforms.

What do you dislike?

User interface is still a little outdated. And importing can be a little confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I started using Endnote in graduate school. At some point I thought Mendeley would be better. After a horrific time editing a paper with Mendeley, I’ve been using Endnote ever since. It just works as it’s supposed to.

Tracking references is a pain and formatting them for different journals is an even bigger pain. Endnote does both of these nearly flawlessly. This saves a huge amount of time and decreases the amount of mistakes.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Comprehensive, customizable and my favorite bibliography manager by far"

What do you like best?

I work with a variety of style guides and other requirements for keeping track of publications, reference materials and other presentations. EndNote makes is so easy to collect/input the records, update them, pull articles, and customize import and export templates. EndNote is great.

What do you dislike?

Some people find a bit of a learning curve with EndNote, but I wasn't one of them. I think a more GUI interface would help a number of users, but I don't think it's necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at what has integrations with the software you use, and what has the flexibility to share libraries and how you can import and export. For my purposes, EndNote has been the best of all the bibliography managers I tried.

I regularly have to contribute bibliographies to various entities, and using EndNote I've been able to develop exports that are able to uploaded to a database rather than spending hours keying entries by hand. It's been a time saver and our data is much more accurate.

EndNote review by Marcelo d.
Senior Visual Designer
Pharmaceuticals
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Essential app for academia"

What do you like best?

Endnote is a powerful reference manager for academics in general. It helps to keep all your sources organized and up to date. Among its many features, it has access to databases, allows the creation of groups of references for specific subjects/projects and has a tag and comment system that makes easier to find specific works.

Perhaps one of its most used features is a Word plugin that allows the inclusion of a citation with the corresponding reference in just a few clicks. Once such citation is in place, Endnote recreates the paper's bibliography to include the new source. Moreover, if you remove or change the citation, the reference changes accordingly, freeing the writer of worrying with orphan citations, a problem which was very common before reference managers.

Endnote also comes with dozens of reference styles and has a style manager that makes really easy to edit a style for a specific event like a conference or even to create a style from scratch.

What do you dislike?

One problem that I experienced was a program crash that damaged my reference database (called "Library" in Endnote). Since this kind of issue tend to happen more frequently in long texts with many references, it is recommended to make frequent backup of the library using the option "File > Compressed Library". Other recommendation for long and reference-heavy works is to divide the main text so that each chapter resides in one file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is one the best reference managers of the market and it will contribute greatly to writing academic papers.

I work both with research (writing papers for conferences and journals) and development (writing reports and technical projects). In both fields I find Endnote indispensable. Thanks to it, I saved many hours of tedious bookkeeping and improved the quality of my works.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"A Robust Tool for Managing References and Citations"

What do you like best?

I like having the ability to update term lists, and of course, being able to quickly retrieve the full text is awesome.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, updating term lists doesn't solve every problem related to citation format. Sometimes, it's necessary to edit journal titles by hand. Usually it's okay, but when you're citing hundreds of sources, it's too much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

How important is it to be able to collaborate in real time? If so, consider another resource.

Is it necessary to be able to use this in the cloud? EndNote works best as a desktop-only solution.

Do you need to be able to batch-retrieve the full text of articles? If so, you need EndNote.

Do you need to be able to insert citations? If so, EndNote will work just fine for you!

As a librarian, I use EndNote to manage search results. I love being able to send users formatted citations that include an article abstract. I also use it for systematic reviews. It's the only reference manager I trust for this purpose.

EndNote review by Consultant in Higher Education

"EndNote"

What do you like best?

EndNote is extremely powerful that allows a user to important citations from databases and then add those citations into papers that they are writing. This makes the research and writing process a much easier task, and can save literally hours upon hours of work that would have previously required tedious editing in a Word document.

I also enjoy that EndNote libraries can be shared among other users, and that users can be also invite their colleagues to add or remove citations to specific libraries; this aids collaborative research, especially research that is being conducted by people from different countries/continents.

What do you dislike?

The EndNote interface is confusing--especially if you are just beginning to use the program. There are other programs out there (such as Zotero) that have substantially more user-friendly designs. This critique is not based on my personal opinion, but rather on feedback I hear from the students with which I work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the industry standard when it comes to citation management. Even if it has its flaws, it is still a very powerful tool that is worth purchasing/downloading if you are able.

I currently help graduate students at the University of Kansas learn how to use EndNote when writing their theses and dissertations. This entails teaching them: how to install the program, how to import references from databases, how to share libraries and how to integrate the software with Microsoft Word. Personally, I have used the software to write a number of articles and two books.

The biggest benefit of using EndNote is its organizational capabilities and its ability to automatically switch citational formats. Several times I've had a paper written using a certain style, and with the click of a mouse, I can switch it to a different style without having to go through and change every last citation by hand. This saves hours of work.

EndNote review by User

"Great for organizing citations"

What do you like best?

Endnote is great for organizing citations that you can easily insert into Microsoft Word while you type. I appreciate it's compatibility with writing software. Furthermore, the Endnote online component makes it easy to add citations as you search databases regardless if you are on the your primary computer that has the Endnote program.

What do you dislike?

Endnote can be a bulky program that can take up a lot of RAM. One of my early versions of Endnote was on an early computer that had trouble supporting the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using Endnote to add citations in Microsoft work, disengage "Track Changes" before you update your Endnote citations. Running the two simultaneously has often frozen my computer.

Primary we use it for organizing citation in text (usually in Microsoft word) for scientific publications and other scientific articles.

EndNote review by Greg S.
Director, Research Services
Higher Education

"Once the standard... now less compelling"

What do you like best?

EndNote is unquestionably the easiest reference manager to use. It integrates very well into Word and a novice can get running productively in a short period of time. The program also supports the largest number of journal citation/reference formats that I'm aware of.

What do you dislike?

At this point it really comes down to price. It is an expensive product and there are at least two free substitutes that are nearly as good (Zotero and Mendeley). For a new user the advantages of EndNote are too few to justify the price, so I think the primary audience is established users who have been using EndNote for decades, know how it works, and don't want to change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get me wrong: EndNote is an outstanding piece of software that does everything you'd want it to do and it does it very well. However, because of the cost I'd recommend at least investigating the free alternatives (Zotero, Mendeley) to see if they suit your needs.

For any reasonable amount of academic research and publishing, it is foolish to attempt to do reference management by hand--especially now that there are very capable free software tools available. EndNote is an extremely capable piece of software in this regard, allowing you to keep a database of articles (organized however you like and searchable by tags or keywords), and inserting citations into your papers with ease. The software supports nearly every sort of citation and reference format, so very little manual tweaking is ever required.

"Simplifies reference management"

What do you like best?

I really makes it easy to store cited sources, format references, and re-format references for publishers with different style guides. In addition to the built-in styles, you can customize one, and then share it easily with other collaborators.

In addition, I can attach the source file (pdf, etc.) to the reference so refer to later and/or share with a colleague.

I was excited when I learned that EndNote can download sources from online libraries, but (see below for its drawbacks).

What do you dislike?

I find that updating Microsoft Word will break compatibility with the CWYW plug-in (which allows for EndNote integration).

Although EndNote claims to be able to download sources, I have not had success with it. Perhaps it is because I access online libraries through my institution's web proxy (not directly). When EndNote tried to download the sources for all my references, the online library thought I was launching a web attack and blocked my IP address. I don't know if this functionality has been improved, but keep this shortcoming in mind. You might want to download the trial version first to see if this affects you and your usage scenario.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have EndNote provided by my institution, so I cannot comment on the pricing. However, I do see it as a very valuable too