EndNote

Find, use and share research with EndNote. It's for more than bibliographies. Sync your EndNote library across your desktop, iPad and online. Work on your research from anywhere.

Work for EndNote?

Learning about EndNote?

EndNote Reviews

Ask EndNote a Question
Showing 107 EndNote reviews
EndNote review by Thomas Z.
Thomas Z.
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about EndNote
EndNote review by Marlin D.
Marlin D.
View Original

"Manage biblio and inline references like a pro"

What do you like best?

The fact that the major reference databases have a built in link to the web version of Endnote. I am currently writing my doctoral dissertation using just the web version and even its trimmed down features have all the basics I need to fully manage my references. Also like how automated it is to group the references in a many-to-many fashion so if writing on multiple topics simultaneously, the same reference can be grouped into the reference list for each article using it.

What do you dislike?

That when linking from reference database at a library's site to my account in web-based Endnote that it opens a new web window each time. Have to keep closing windows if adding a lot of article references. Better if it could hook back into the window that opened the previous time a reference was added. This may not be possible with web version, but is annoying.

Saves time in building a quick list of articles to go back and read and take notes on. My benefits are with the work I am doing on my doctoral dissertation. Lots of groupings of references are easily managed. Have yet to search journal databases from within endnote, but see that you can. I can't imagine going back to the "bedspread" approach with note cards! I also am able to create subgroups for just a chapter I'm working on then combine for final version of dissertation.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

EndNote review by Abdullah Umair B.
Abdullah Umair B.

"Great citation management tool for writing dissertations."

What do you like best?

>A wide variety of reference types available. More than I've found in other reference management software.

>Gives the user the freedom to customize formatting and has a pretty exhaustive list pre-loaded of formats.

>Dependable even while working with large quantities of citations. I used it to wite my masters thesis which involved an extensive literature review.

What do you dislike?

>It is difficult to learn in the beginning. The help files are not really that useful The way the platform is structured isn't really intuitive. Took me weeks to figure out how to make my library.

>Even though I have access to EndNote right now through my university, I wouldn't once I graduate. It should have a free or a less expensive version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For someone who is about to write a dissertation, a thesis or even a journal paper this is definitely a good tool to streamline the whole citation process.

I am a graduate student and I need a reliable, reasonably smooth citation management tool to efficiently be able to cite literature and produce publication-quality documents.

EndNote review by Signe J.
Signe J.

"Great for organising references, but not for inserting and editing citations in a document"

What do you like best?

The ability to organise and search your references

What do you dislike?

The word add-in of endnote is, at least with word 2016 on mac, to say the least a painful experience. Working with longer documents with many references, the endnote word-citations tool takes forever to insert and format citations, it will try to replace all parentheses in the text with references (meaning you could all of a sudden have references at random places in your text), and editing a single reference runs the risk of making a mess of the entire list of references. Furthermore, Endnote is not good at keeping up with office updates, meaning that it doesn't work with the latest version of Word (2016, version 16.xx)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not recommend endnote as a citation software, there are other programs that are better at this, but for organising references, endnote is satisfying.

Endnote provide a great way to organise and search your references, including pdf files

EndNote review by Sara C.
Sara C.

"Great way to organize references and notes"

What do you like best?

Two great things about EndNote:

1. Citations and notes can be combined into one file, so everything is available in one convenient place, even if I'm returning to a research project after months (or years!). I don't have to go hunting for things on my computer.

2. Easy integration with Word. The citation feature within Word works well, even for lengthy documents, and makes organizing citations very straightforward.

What do you dislike?

Probably the biggest downside of EndNote is simply that it's expensive, and there are various free options our there that do similar things. That said, if your university sponsors this (or you can get it reimbursed), I think it's well worth the money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To be most useful, I would recommend committing to doing all your citations through EndNote. It's a larger start-up cost, but once you get going it really is much more useful this way. You can use "Groups" to categorize citations for use in different research projects

Organizing citations and notes; properly and efficiently citing material in working papers and published research.

EndNote review by Shirley-Ann A.
Shirley-Ann A.

"If you like saving references for last -- this is a lifesaver!"

What do you like best?

Everything is one neat, organized table. I can search by many different variables and have the ability to import citations from online sources. Manual reference input is also quite simple - and takes the headache out of remembering which format is required for which sources.

What do you dislike?

The in-document citation and reference manager can be a bit annoying. Making manual changes within your document can be incredibly difficult - so you need to get the reference input right the first time!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really great for those having to keep track of several references. It also has an online login which I haven't used much - but you are able to log on from other devices if necessary. If you are able to categorize your documents early on, you will find Endnote to be such an easy way to call on references whenever you need them. You can even use it to search for terms and topics - making referencing headaches, a thing of the past.

Besides having a wonderful organization tool for all of my references, where I can organize by topic, year, author or whatever I please -- endnote takes the headache out of citing and referencing. The cite as you write feature is just invaluable. And the bibliography is magically taken care off while you write!

EndNote review by Zachary H.
Zachary H.

"Pretty good; although, not great at giving the desired formatting"

What do you like best?

I like that I can store all my pdfs online, so that I can download them from different locations. Once you have a GIANT library, it becomes really useful to be able to simply pull from the cloud. EndNote has made that a lot easier. The search functionality is really great, too, for searching within your library.

What do you dislike?

Very poor tech support. Sometimes syncing does not work, and it is not clear why. When you try to find a solution, you end up just poking around on the internet, since the turnaround on email/messaging-based customer support is so slow. As a user, you also constantly have the nagging feeling that you are not using EndNote to its full functionality. There are so many customizable things, but it is not entirely clear what any of them are or how to use them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out what else is available, but EndNote does get the job done. It's a little pricey...

I am solving the problem of having lots of pdf documents scattered across my computers. Having things in EndNote helps me keep track of what is there and, importantly, allows me to store additional documents in association with the pdfs -- documents such as notes or paper drafts.

EndNote review by Sam L.
Sam L.

"Easy to use software that manages references and integration into your document"

What do you like best?

The ability to organize your references by category makes it easy to sort through your collection. Also it is integrated with Microsoft Word so you can easily cite a reference from your database while typing in Word. Formatting of your bibliography is also very easy using Endnote. Even if the software does not have a particular journal's formatting requirements, you can easily download the format from the journal and sync it with your Endnote library.

What do you dislike?

Searching using a single field (i.e. "title" or "author") for a reference in an online database often does not turn up the result you wanted, which forces you to search using multiple search fields filled in. Sometimes when searching with a single author also may not turn up the reference you're looking for, and typing in multiple authors may be required.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many many features with Endnote - a tutorial for your employees would be beneficial.

This makes publishing a breeze, saving you loads of time on filling out references for your paper or article.

EndNote review by Mathieu G.
Mathieu G.

"The best reference management software "

What do you like best?

the ability to search directly on pubmed.

the ability to search directly on the library of congress.

the ability to use a very high number of citation styles corresponding at a lot of journals and reviews.

the perfect integration into Word make it really easy to use, you just have to click to insert your reference and your bibliography is automatically reformated!

tha ability to synchronyse your librairy on the cloud in order to be sure not to loose it or just if your abroad ans you need to find a publication and the PDF with (indeed you can stock pdf in you library, so you don't have ton search each time on the database, it is also a gain of time.)

What do you dislike?

sometimes it's difficult to know if we should make a single library or a library by project.

It is not always easy to import references such as laws, regulations or even government documents.

Sometimes the library is corrupted, there is a tool to repair it, it works, ok, but that's a little bit annoying. That is maybe the blackest point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As for me it is a gain of time in my job when i write my publication.

If your a PhD student, a searcher it worth to by this software.

I win a lot of time for making my bibliography, and I can reuse references that I have already used in the past

EndNote review by User

"Endnote crashes with Mac and wipes out my work in MS Word, too."

What do you like best?

I do not like anything about this software. It is horrible.

What do you dislike?

Since the OS update, Sierra, 10.12.6, Endnote crashes when I try to open a reference, read a pdf, or insert a reference into my word file on my Mac. Further, it crashes Word and all work is lost! It's a disaster and they are not updating it. If they expect me to spend more money on this junky software, they are nuts. I can't get any help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use this software unless you want to loose hours of work. I called support staff at Endnote and was told there was nothing they could do. I tried reinstalling and that did not help. They have not updated the software for Mac. I wasted a lot of time and money on this software and it's so frustrating.

There are no benefits. It is flakey, pernicious and awful, terrible software .

EndNote review by Lindsey C.
Lindsey C.

"Great resource for abstracts, research or peer-based reviews, and scientific articles/papers"

What do you like best?

I love that you have the option to search in different databases, allowing you to gain full access to a broad spectrum of articles that have been published.

What do you dislike?

How hard/complicated it is to learn how to use the program. This is not an easy learn nor is it successful with many students who are writing articles. Though it can make citing resources 10x easier, the lack of a tutorial or step by step guide of how to use EndNote is its downfall. Also getting it to link correctly with Microsoft word/Mac Pages is not clear.

This program saves numerous amounts of time of having to write/look up different referencing styles and formats. Overtime, the ease and use of this program has gotten better, but still was very difficult early on to learn

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Comprehensive, customizable and my favorite bibliography manager by far"

What do you like best?

I work with a variety of style guides and other requirements for keeping track of publications, reference materials and other presentations. EndNote makes is so easy to collect/input the records, update them, pull articles, and customize import and export templates. EndNote is great.

What do you dislike?

Some people find a bit of a learning curve with EndNote, but I wasn't one of them. I think a more GUI interface would help a number of users, but I don't think it's necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at what has integrations with the software you use, and what has the flexibility to share libraries and how you can import and export. For my purposes, EndNote has been the best of all the bibliography managers I tried.

I regularly have to contribute bibliographies to various entities, and using EndNote I've been able to develop exports that are able to uploaded to a database rather than spending hours keying entries by hand. It's been a time saver and our data is much more accurate.

EndNote review by Jade M.
Jade M.

"the reference software you need"

What do you like best?

Endnote was a software I used for a short period of time in it's early stages. When I came back to pursue my Ph.D. this software has helped organize all of my reading for classes helping plan my comprehensive exam and helping me to prep for my dissertation. A must have for any academic

What do you dislike?

Some of the useful tools don't feel intuitive. Like I know can back up my library but where that goes and who has access to that or how to retrieve it is unclear to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I got mine through my school for about $20. Prior it was free through my schools library. For students and faculty connected to an institution this will be much more affordable. I have no idea what the non dis count cost would be like.

This helps me to manage all of the research projects I am juggling at one time as I prepare for my career as an academic and scholar

EndNote review by Elaine A.
Elaine A.

"EndNote, 20+ yrs old & the most user friendly & function filled ref mgmt tool is just the best!"

What do you like best?

Easy importing references, labeling them & grouping them, journal citations from our offsite & inside the firewall collections. Especially the ability to search INSIDE PDFs once downloaded!! Customizable fields, output styles, SUPPORT Desk!! Trainers, Doug Nguyen!!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that some full text cites (PDFs from OUR collection) do not successfully import, due IMO from extra clicks, other publisher formatting issues, etc. Often a lengthy unintelligible URL is the cause, as well. Adding these by hand is often very time consuming. It is the fault of the publishers that this happens, not EndNote.

Recommendations to others considering the product

EndNote brings enormous efficiency to the searching and writing research papers process for VA researchers, for librarians it offers enormous efficiency for effectively downloading citations, de-duplicating them, adding full text, and then fine tuning the search results by searching in-depth amongst the cites AND the full text content. Amazing!

We're a federal agency, but we use it for tracking clinician/researcher professional output, presentations, etc. AND, we can customize it for all sorts of types of information, historical objects, etc. Our users love EndNote! For clinicians, they use it when writing articles, reviews, and researchers use it for grant applications, tracking paper publications, etc. We use it for creating customized literature updates for various clinical departments/fellows/residents.

EndNote review by User

"Essential Tool for Researchers"

What do you like best?

Cite while you Write addition- it automatically updates and organizes my citations. Super helpful and convenient.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I can't edit the citations in word and have it update my database. Also, it would be helpful to have a feature that more accurately obtains the citation information from common search engines. When importing citations from a downloaded citation, it is often full of errors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Has both a web-based and desktop version, which is helpful if you use multiple computers. Syncing the different platforms can be challenging, but as long as you typically use one, rather than the other, it works out. Regardless, the flexibility that the cloud and desktop options offer far out-weight the cons.

The cite-while-you-write extension is great for those of you who typically use Microsoft Word. While there's no check on whether it's correct or not, the fact that it auto updates and sorts alphabetically has drastically cut down the amount of time I spend on the references section.

I am a researcher and organizing all of the sources in which we obtain data from is an essential tool to have. Endnote does this for us in one spot, allows us to share citations and add additional notes onto the references.

EndNote review by Christopher B.
Christopher B.

"Almost essential for large research papers"

What do you like best?

It really helps with managing the HUGE number of citations you can end up with in a very large research paper. there is probably a break even point in number of citations where it is worth the effort to learn how to use endnote. I would say something with at least 50 sources you cite. It also has good integration with Word. (usually, I'll get into that later) it also makes it easy to pull citations in from websites and it easily can switch between formats if for some crazy reason you need to do that. But even so it is almost essential to write a large research project. It also can pull it from PubMed easily which can be irritating sometimes to deal with yourself.

What do you dislike?

I wish they would keep up with the upgrade cycles of word better. I know it might be difficult to do if they aren't able to have the software ahead of time but I assume they should be a part of the beta testing or something. Sometimes it has taken a week or more to get an update with the word plug in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check if your university offers free licenses for you to use.

It helped me manage a large number of citations in a large research paper with about 150 citations and at least 600 pages of research. I took a class offered by my University that helped me learn to use it which I think helped a lot. It was only an hour and helped me understand how to use it much better.

EndNote review by Mike G.
Mike G.

"Medicore and outdated software for keeping track of academic references"

What do you like best?

Ability to access citation formats from a wide range of academic journals and simultaneously export multiple citations to your word processor (particularly, I use Microsoft Word). The ability to organize by folder, as well as link citations with their associated files and journal websites is also useful. Similarly, EndNote allows for relatively easy annotation of associated files for references saved to EndNote's library.

What do you dislike?

I find that the syncing feature, if one is operating on more than one computer, is temperamental and suffers from bugs that result in partial or no functionality. Also, while EndNote has a number of appealing features, implementing these is somewhat cumbersome and the software is poorly integrated with other software compared to other reference management software (for example, integration with web browser provided by Zotero).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software can be cumbersome to use and often has bugs that decrease its overall utility as bibliographic software. EndNote probably has some features that will be useful to some users, but I prefer other, easier to use software such as Zotero for my bibliographic organization needs.

Although EndNote is freely available at my institution, I have discontinued my use of the software because other software, notably Zotero, is easier to use and more integrated with other applications that I use on a regular basis (particularly, web browser integration with Zotero makes creating references much easier compared to EndNote).

EndNote review by Fiona S.
Fiona S.

"Nimble for intext references, feels a little old school"

What do you like best?

Endnote beats every other reference software for flexibility with in-text referencing. I like that every reference is editable by field and you can combine multiple styles within a document (eg to start a sentence, insert in a table etc). Also easy to get references into it. However I traded in for Papers which has greater functionality as a PDF organizer as well.

What do you dislike?

Nowadays a reference software really needs to be a PDF manager too, and Endnote just doesn't have as much functionality as something like Papers for organising PDFs with a sleek interface

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are happy with basic PDF management, want flexibility in text and want something sleeker than Mendedely, Endnote might be worth the cost. The license is annual rather than perpetual which is a consideration.

Certainly removes the frustration I have with other referencing softwares for the production of scientific manuscripts- easy to copy and share libraries between collaborators.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Great reference manager, not so great price."

What do you like best?

EndNote is by far the best reference manager in the market. Everything comes with a price, though. I get EndNote from my institution, but the market price for the software is kind of pricy. However, EndNote does not disappoint: its features are way better than Mendeley, for example. Great features include the integration to Microsoft Office and iWork suites, and the ability to create libraries, share citations, and synchronization with EndNote Web.

What do you dislike?

I have had problems with EndNote and Microsoft Office for Mac. However, all have been fixed, and now I have no issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a reference manager software that works 100% of the time, go for it. I would even pay for it if my company did not. It is worth the investment for such great compatibility and cloud synchronization.

I feel I gain a lot of time while using EndNote. No more reference formatting, no more checking every line of the text and the reference list to see whether they match. Formatting references take time, and I do not have to worry about it anymore. Also, I now have all the references I use in one place, so it is easy to find that PDF or that paper to share citations with colleagues.

EndNote review by Heidi R.
Heidi R.

"Endnote Saves Tons of Time"

What do you like best?

Once citations are added to a library, it's easy to insert them Word documents and to change the style or formatting of the references.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the Cite While You Write Function is a little slow and clunky to update new citations.

Endnote helps me to keep my references straight and organized and saves me a ton of time when it comes to using these references in scholarly articles that I write. I have accumulated a massive library of citations over the years and it would be a huge time suck to have to look up and manually write out these citations each time I use them, plus reformat them when I send them to different journals that require different styles. Other reference managers I have tried in the past have not be as easy to use and keep organized as Endnote.

"Great tool"

What do you like best?

So many different citation styles available, and you have the option of downloading even more. Also, it update the citations list itself and is more accurate than any other tool I've used so far. It keeps track of all the pdfs and journal articles that I've ever cited and they're organized by which document I used them in. It doesn't slow down my computer at all, so I even downloaded it on my personal laptop!

What do you dislike?

Some minor mistakes here and there but overall there's not much to dislike. You just have to make sure that the reference list is consistent and that you have the correct style for formatting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you experiment so that you're making the most of the software!

Used primarily for sending literature reviews for submission.

"Useful Citation Service"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to organize all of the documents and citations that I need in one space. It is good that I can also upload PDFs of the documents to allow me to create an archive of information for later use.

What do you dislike?

The citation tool is often off and the bibliographic information needs to be edited. The citation style is sometimes incorrect, and the fields for bibliographic information are not always intuitive and the export service is difficult to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you know that the software is not perfect and that you will need to rewrite some citations/footnotes to fit the requirements of certain style guides. It is also important to know that you may need to experiment with what information you put in what fields for each source type in order to get the bibliographic result that you need. This software is perfect for keeping everything in one place, but don't expect it to generate perfect citations for you.

I am using this software to organize bibliographic information while I am working on my doctoral degree. I anticipate that I will continue to use it to keep all of the texts/sources that I use and have used in one convenient place.

"Universal reference program"

What do you like best?

It seems to be the most popular reference program among scientists. When co-authoring a paper it is almost essential all participants are using the same reference program. The program can take some time to adjust to, but once you get in your flow it's a life saver! It has several different formats available (e.g., APA, Vancouver, etc).

What do you dislike?

It can be buggy especially if you are working with an older version and a newer version of Microsoft word. For example, if I want to copy and paste any amount of text with a reference in it then I must first turn off the automatic update and unformat the references before moving them around. The interface is not super user friendly, but with practice I do believe it is the best software available and used by the scientific community.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask colleagues what they use. It will be easier to all use the same software.

Instead of having to manually write in your references and bibliography, it automatically inserts the information. You simply have to find he paper you wish to reference in one of the databases and add it to your library. Additionally, if you want to rearrange your sentences it automatically updates everything.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Effective tool for scientific writing"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you can cite sources as you write, and work on you scientific paper. It makes it easy to format the citations whichever way you prefer, as it provides options for formatting citations required at a specific journal or publication. It arranges and characterizes all your citations and sources, such that you can view the entire citation/publication with one click, and refer back to them when required, and saves a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

The user interface can be slow. And understanding and familiarizing yourself with endnote can take a lot of time. It usually requires a lot of instructions, so as a new user, people might find it frustrating and time consuming.

Makes scientific grant/paper writing easy once you've mastered endnote.

EndNote review by Antoine C.
Antoine C.

"Why Not End Note Your Bibliography "

What do you like best?

End Note is a great way to document your life in a efficient and safe manner. End Note provides great functions like allowing up to 100 people to work on the same document, this provides and extension from the service google provides with their DOCS and SHEETS. In my work, we have collaborated on tons of docs, where multiple users have

What do you dislike?

End Note is of course a virtual document unless one, completes the documents, download then store and delete. In today's society, the constant need for secure technology is vital to ones, privacy and sustainability. Hacking is something, we must all consider as we approach times of more advance technology and transparency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommendations of using EndNote would be to, practice great security measures, among team members and peers. As always, read the fine print to ensure EndNote is going to meet all of your business service needs in such capacity. EndNote is a great service, my final tip would be: have fun with it!

End Note solves the simple problem of providing users the seamless function of writing, organizing and collaborating on documents and more. End Note provides an option for users beyond other services such as Google DOCS & Sheets .

EndNote review by Kamolrat (Gift) M.
Kamolrat (Gift) M.

"The most popular reference management software, I have been using for decades. "

What do you like best?

It integrates with all the microsoft office softwares therefore I can use it in both manuscript writing and presentation preparation. It is super easy to use and I can store my reference library online so I can access it from everywhere. Cite while you write function is the best thing ever. It automatically updates your reference order while I write which helps tracking the correction of my references.

What do you dislike?

It works best with Journal reference search using pubmed but for books and other types of references the search function does not do a good job. Most of the time I have to manually input other types of reference which may lead to error or typo. Also there are some bugs with word integration, you need to be careful when copy and paste during editing your manuscript. Sometimes the reference links automatically unlinked and you mess up all the reference order. It should have the redundant reference prevention.

Cite whole you write sometimes slow down your computer because it keeps updating. Therefore it may cause word crash.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend EndNote for education professions. This software really makes your life easier. The most difficult task is to build your reference library groups. After that you can add these references whenever and wherever you write.

Save a lot of time on reference management. No manual update reference number while typing. You can make a copy of your reference library and give it your colleagues as well. This helps a lot with co-project.

EndNote review by Renée S.
Renée S.

"Easy to use reference management tool"

What do you like best?

EndNote is quite easy to use and offers a dozens of options for how to structure your reference list. I also like the fact that you can edit the reference and EndNote saves the reference exactly how you want it.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, it has been difficult having multiple users access the same EndNote file concurrently. Maybe there have been advances in the system at this point, but this was not possible when we were trying to use it at work.

We write a lot of papers at my place of employment, and using EndNote has helped manage all of the references we use in our various papers. Overall, it makes for a more efficient use of time and helps to add consistency to the papers we are writing.

EndNote review by Ashley W.
Ashley W.

"Easy to use product"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use with endnote. There is no long syncing periods like I found with other reference manager software. I like being able to organize my articles by type/project, it makes me much more organized and efficient in my writings (I write a lot of somewhat varied topic articles for work). I also love being able to search for articles within endnote and use it to search the web. Most articles pre-populate correctly. The smooth syncing with Microsoft word is extremely nice. I also like being able to search within my library of files.

What do you dislike?

Would like to be able to build a bibliography/works cited section without having to insert in-text citations. Some of my writings don't need/want in text citations, just a references page at the end.

Sometimes the library file can get a tad bit big if you have a ton of citations imported.

Some articles don't quite pre-populate correctly

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend spending a little time to ensure you have organized your article library properly. this will save you tons of time and headache later.

Double check that all of your references pre-populated correctly

The in-text citation feature works very well, it will insert or delete things from your bibliography as you insert or delete citations. I have not yet found a way to insert just a bibliography/works cited page without in-text citations.

Education - creating articles and documents educating our stakeholders

Writing grants to do applied research and education

Research and academic writing.

EndNote review by Lea M.
Lea M.

"Excellent reference management software"

What do you like best?

Easily keep track of existing references and import new ones from your computer or directly from popular databases. Also allows you to easily “cute while you write” in Microfost Word. Works well on Mac and PC platforms.

What do you dislike?

User interface is still a little outdated. And importing can be a little confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I started using Endnote in graduate school. At some point I thought Mendeley would be better. After a horrific time editing a paper with Mendeley, I’ve been using Endnote ever since. It just works as it’s supposed to.

Tracking references is a pain and formatting them for different journals is an even bigger pain. Endnote does both of these nearly flawlessly. This saves a huge amount of time and decreases the amount of mistakes.

EndNote review by Andrea Q.
Andrea Q.

"incredible manager references all academic should use."

What do you like best?

despite having little time using this program, it is excellent to export citations directly from google books. Saves time. I have noticed that they have good publicity, but really could be better. However, it is one of the best known programs and given the amount of people using it, you may find material that complements the network experience

What do you dislike?

could improve the interface a bit to make it a little less sober. When handling many documents, the view gets tired. It would be good to improve the integrated office functions. They are a bit confusing to handle, especially if you have little experience with managers references.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Slightly improve the interface and create simple tutorials.

The academic papers require good management of references that will generate documents respecting quality and standards. With this work is provided. I have been able to significantly increase my level of organization, besides that I can share appointments with colleagues and make better joint work.

"EndNote"

What do you like best?

EndNote makes my literature reviews so much easier by organizing information efficiently and effectively.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I have come across thus far in my use of EndNote that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have worked with a library database, this is similar in a sense, so hopefully it will prove almost intuitive. It is really helpful when it comes to organizing sources that you are gathering to write a literature review, or a full blown research report, paper, or project. You can organize in any way that makes sense to you, and then look up your sources in meaningful ways. You are also able to store citations, and their corresponding in text citations for ease of use. It makes the writing process so much easier!

At a research university, there is a need for faculty to research to develop the university and the matters of study. That being said, they also have to balance course loads (at least at our institution), unless their courses are bought out for research purposes. Often, faculty are serving the universities and their disciplines in other ways, too. That being said, they are busy people and can benefit from a software that organizes their work.

EndNote review by Marcelo d.
Marcelo d.

"Essential app for academia"

What do you like best?

Endnote is a powerful reference manager for academics in general. It helps to keep all your sources organized and up to date. Among its many features, it has access to databases, allows the creation of groups of references for specific subjects/projects and has a tag and comment system that makes easier to find specific works.

Perhaps one of its most used features is a Word plugin that allows the inclusion of a citation with the corresponding reference in just a few clicks. Once such citation is in place, Endnote recreates the paper's bibliography to include the new source. Moreover, if you remove or change the citation, the reference changes accordingly, freeing the writer of worrying with orphan citations, a problem which was very common before reference managers.

Endnote also comes with dozens of reference styles and has a style manager that makes really easy to edit a style for a specific event like a conference or even to create a style from scratch.

What do you dislike?

One problem that I experienced was a program crash that damaged my reference database (called "Library" in Endnote). Since this kind of issue tend to happen more frequently in long texts with many references, it is recommended to make frequent backup of the library using the option "File > Compressed Library". Other recommendation for long and reference-heavy works is to divide the main text so that each chapter resides in one file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is one the best reference managers of the market and it will contribute greatly to writing academic papers.

I work both with research (writing papers for conferences and journals) and development (writing reports and technical projects). In both fields I find Endnote indispensable. Thanks to it, I saved many hours of tedious bookkeeping and improved the quality of my works.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"A Robust Tool for Managing References and Citations"

What do you like best?

I like having the ability to update term lists, and of course, being able to quickly retrieve the full text is awesome.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, updating term lists doesn't solve every problem related to citation format. Sometimes, it's necessary to edit journal titles by hand. Usually it's okay, but when you're citing hundreds of sources, it's too much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

How important is it to be able to collaborate in real time? If so, consider another resource.

Is it necessary to be able to use this in the cloud? EndNote works best as a desktop-only solution.

Do you need to be able to batch-retrieve the full text of articles? If so, you need EndNote.

Do you need to be able to insert citations? If so, EndNote will work just fine for you!

As a librarian, I use EndNote to manage search results. I love being able to send users formatted citations that include an article abstract. I also use it for systematic reviews. It's the only reference manager I trust for this purpose.

EndNote review by Consultant in Higher Education
Consultant in Higher Education

"EndNote"

What do you like best?

EndNote is extremely powerful that allows a user to important citations from databases and then add those citations into papers that they are writing. This makes the research and writing process a much easier task, and can save literally hours upon hours of work that would have previously required tedious editing in a Word document.

I also enjoy that EndNote libraries can be shared among other users, and that users can be also invite their colleagues to add or remove citations to specific libraries; this aids collaborative research, especially research that is being conducted by people from different countries/continents.

What do you dislike?

The EndNote interface is confusing--especially if you are just beginning to use the program. There are other programs out there (such as Zotero) that have substantially more user-friendly designs. This critique is not based on my personal opinion, but rather on feedback I hear from the students with which I work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the industry standard when it comes to citation management. Even if it has its flaws, it is still a very powerful tool that is worth purchasing/downloading if you are able.

I currently help graduate students at the University of Kansas learn how to use EndNote when writing their theses and dissertations. This entails teaching them: how to install the program, how to import references from databases, how to share libraries and how to integrate the software with Microsoft Word. Personally, I have used the software to write a number of articles and two books.

The biggest benefit of using EndNote is its organizational capabilities and its ability to automatically switch citational formats. Several times I've had a paper written using a certain style, and with the click of a mouse, I can switch it to a different style without having to go through and change every last citation by hand. This saves hours of work.

EndNote review by Greg S.
Greg S.

"Once the standard... now less compelling"

What do you like best?

EndNote is unquestionably the easiest reference manager to use. It integrates very well into Word and a novice can get running productively in a short period of time. The program also supports the largest number of journal citation/reference formats that I'm aware of.

What do you dislike?

At this point it really comes down to price. It is an expensive product and there are at least two free substitutes that are nearly as good (Zotero and Mendeley). For a new user the advantages of EndNote are too few to justify the price, so I think the primary audience is established users who have been using EndNote for decades, know how it works, and don't want to change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get me wrong: EndNote is an outstanding piece of software that does everything you'd want it to do and it does it very well. However, because of the cost I'd recommend at least investigating the free alternatives (Zotero, Mendeley) to see if they suit your needs.

For any reasonable amount of academic research and publishing, it is foolish to attempt to do reference management by hand--especially now that there are very capable free software tools available. EndNote is an extremely capable piece of software in this regard, allowing you to keep a database of articles (organized however you like and searchable by tags or keywords), and inserting citations into your papers with ease. The software supports nearly every sort of citation and reference format, so very little manual tweaking is ever required.

"Simplifies reference management"

What do you like best?

I really makes it easy to store cited sources, format references, and re-format references for publishers with different style guides. In addition to the built-in styles, you can customize one, and then share it easily with other collaborators.

In addition, I can attach the source file (pdf, etc.) to the reference so refer to later and/or share with a colleague.

I was excited when I learned that EndNote can download sources from online libraries, but (see below for its drawbacks).

What do you dislike?

I find that updating Microsoft Word will break compatibility with the CWYW plug-in (which allows for EndNote integration).

Although EndNote claims to be able to download sources, I have not had success with it. Perhaps it is because I access online libraries through my institution's web proxy (not directly). When EndNote tried to download the sources for all my references, the online library thought I was launching a web attack and blocked my IP address. I don't know if this functionality has been improved, but keep this shortcoming in mind. You might want to download the trial version first to see if this affects you and your usage scenario.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have EndNote provided by my institution, so I cannot comment on the pricing. However, I do see it as a very valuable tool.

I write academic papers for multiple conferences and journals. When a paper gets rejected (yes, it happens :-) ) EndNote makes it easy to re-format references to meed a new publisher's formatting requirements.

EndNote review by User in Design
User in Design

"Great Little Application for Collating Notes"

What do you like best?

I used this application while writing my exegesis for my masters degree. It helped me collate a lot of references from books I was reading that I could easily refer back to while writing my exegesis. It allowed me to insert the references in the required format, you can specify which ever format required by the university. What I like best is the ability to enter data, wether that be notes, web addresses, authors, publishing dates all in one file that I could easily reference and format into my document.

What do you dislike?

Because I used this with OpenOffice I recall there being a bug, OpenOffice needs to be installed prior to EndNote otherwise the application isn't hooked into OpenOffice. That can be a bit tedious if you don't know and are trying to get the application running with OpenOffice for the first time. I think the design of the user interface could do we a makeover.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great little program if you need to collate a bunch of notes into the correct format for a document. It doesn't take long to learn and is quite intuitive.

Collating notes for writing an exegesis while studying and formatting them into the document as footnotes in a specific academic format.

EndNote review by Dejan J.
Dejan J.

"Excellent citation manager coupled with library options."

What do you like best?

I love the support that EndNote has. I have not encountered a journal style that can not be downloaded from the EndNote website. The link between EndNote and Word is spotless and simple to work with.

Also, I love EndNote as my primary library place. I have a lot of citations that have the PDF file attached. All papers within seconds. Find full-text option also helps you to get the PDF without any effort.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes EndNote can be clunky. I don't like that the references just drop to the last page of the Word file every time you try to update or sync with EndNote

Papers writing and citation manager

EndNote review by paramveer s.
paramveer s.

"endnote is best research data collection tool"

What do you like best?

* very easy to collect bibliography information

* endnote web allows my collection to be seen virtually everywhere

* i can highlight research articles in endnote

* i can directly search on pubmed without leaving endnote

* software is frequently updated

What do you dislike?

* very expensive

* there is no chrome toolbar to collect information to endnote as we browse research articles

* endnote does not have stable apps on mobile interface yet

Recommendations to others considering the product

* endnote is best in market to organize research articles collection. period. there are many alternatives and i tried them all, endnote beats all of them.

* collecting articles for thesis dissertation

* endnote unifies and organizes my collection perfectly

EndNote review by M. Serhat D.
M. Serhat D.

"Functional Software with Complex Features"

What do you like best?

Endnote is the choice of many educational institutions around the world. Endnote supports most of the popular academic libraries and proxy services of educational institutions. Thomson Reuters, publisher of the EndNote has also a good reputation between academics.

What do you dislike?

Endnote is not easy to use if you compare with similar software like Zotero and Mendeley. Endnote menus are quite complicated and sometimes it can be frustrating for newcomers. It is also hard to distribute and share local libraries with other researchers, for that reason I keep my local library file at Dropbox.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It takes some time to discover EndNote, but then you will be surprised how it makes you more productive and how it saves your time. I definetely suggest EndNote if other similar software was not enough functional for you.

Endnote organises your academic documents and reports for a cost, which is time. Setup and the configuration of the software takes lots of time because the menus are quite complicated and hard to learn. After a successful setup and configuration, Endnote does it's job and organises all your documents and reports and saves you plenty of time.

EndNote review by Enzo C.
Enzo C.

"Una grande biblioteca virtuale."

What do you like best?

Ottimo per la sincronizzazione e la gestione di file sia PDF che Word. I file poi sono recuperabili anche senza alcuna connessione ad internet e per me è una cosa comodissima in quanto per lavoro viaggio spesso in treno. Lo strumento di ricerca funziona senza alcun problema e vi aiuta a risolvere tanti problemi e a guadagnare tanto tempo.Facilissimo nell'uso!

What do you dislike?

Ho avuto spesso problemi con l'antivirus che durante le scansioni mi riconosceva il programma come pericoloso. Ovviamente ho segnato l'errore come falso positivo. A volte ho notato dei rallentamenti sul portatile da cui ho installato endnote e mi sono capitati anche dei crash.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Inizialmente ho provato al versione endnote x6 poi sono passato alla versione x7 che è di gran lunga maggiore. Consiglio a tutti i provare la versione x7 per vedere effettivamente le ottime qualita' di questo programma.

La possibilita' di conservare i documenti salvati in PDF è di gran lunga una cosa importantissima e permette di salvare cioè che si vuole a volo e magari rivederlo con calma senza alcuna fretta! Non sai dove mettere un file? Con End note dato che lo spazio non finisce mai diventa tutto piu facile!

User in Research

"EndNote to organize and store files to aid in literature reviews"

What do you like best?

I like our ability to organize the files in a way that is meaningful and useful for our purposes. Our need to be able to access extensive research on a variety of topics and include some of that information in our work is made much easier by EndNote. The amount of storage we need is extensive and the ability to quickly navigate through our files is key.

What do you dislike?

I haven't spent much time working to share the information we've collected in EndNote, but I struggled with navigating how to share only the bits that I wanted to, and to share in a way that easy and quick for the recipient to know exactly what I wanted them to be able to see/review.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always like to explore on my own with any product before even looking for assistance or help. Typically i feel that products should be user-friendly and intuitive, and this fits the bill - but a good test of its compatibility with your style and uses is to just explore first to see what you can learn quickly.

To assert our expertise in our field, it is important for us to be on top of any current research and findings and to be sure we're adapting to any new best practices. EndNote helps us keep on top of all the information available to use and helps us convey the details we need to, to help our clients know we're the ones they should work with. This overall idea is the business problem we're solving, but on a more concrete level, EndNote saves us time and energy and keeps us on track in our industry.

User in Research

"Industry standard for a reason"

What do you like best?

Ability to easily and quickly create custom styles as needed, unlike my free references manager of choice

What do you dislike?

Only the price point -- it's fair, but my company doesn't pay for it, so it always feels like a squeeze

I'm a freelance editor and I frequently need to reformat clients' references. I used to do it by hand, one at a time, with some help from Find+Replace .. ugh. When I invested in EndNote, I found that EndNote lists were easily accessible to me and editable even though I wasn't the owner of the library. Super fast, super easy.

"Great for Citations"

What do you like best?

I like that you can automatically add citations to your endnote library from google scholar and pubmed. I also like that you can save your library in the cloud (such as in dropbox) and access it on multiple computers where you have endnote.

What do you dislike?

There should be a way to do an Online Search for articles, books, etc in Endnote without needing to choose a particular website or database (sort of like a google search).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is best to familiarize yourself with the features of the software before/while using it so that you can make the most out of it.

I used Endnote to cite while I wrote my thesis, articles, and grants. Having one library available that can be used during the writing process of multiple articles/documents is very helpful.

EndNote review by Katie M.
Katie M.

"Why I switched from EndNote"

What do you like best?

To be fair, it has been several years since I have used EndNote, but I used it as a reference manager before switching to Mendeley

What do you dislike?

It is expensive and I stopped using it after it scrambled all of my references so that when I used cite while you write the wrong citations were linked in the bibliography.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out Mendeley. It is free and has more features that help you organize and take notes within all of your articles.

EndNote was beneficial for reference manager for writing scientific papers and keeping references organized.

EndNote review by Guzyal G.
Guzyal G.

"Good reference management app for businesses and academic institutions"

What do you like best?

It is pretty simple to learn and easy to navigate. has a clean and self-explanatory interface. Has a large selection of citation styles and can be easily reformatted for different publications and journals.

What do you dislike?

In additional to the software itself, it is necessary to install a separate browser as well as word plug in. Exporting/importing citations takes a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many other similar reference management applications that are available for free.

We've used EndNote for a variety of needs, from academic articles to government reports. One of the biggest benefits was the ability to streamline the writing process and share bibliographies with other authors when working on a team project.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Very helpful for scientific paper writing"

What do you like best?

This software can work with Word to help you manage the references inserted anywhere through the manuscript. It presents to be very useful especially when you have a tons of references and the places of references may change as you edit the main text. Another impressive merit is that it includes the formats of references of almost all scientific journals so you can just simply chose the journal name to get the references right inserted into the manuscript with accurate format in terms of authors' name, paper title, journal name, volume, pages, and year published. I have published more than 150 journal papers and use this software very frequently. It saves my time and makes the paper in a good shape easily.

What do you dislike?

While I am very satisfied with the function of this software, just feel that the price of this software is a little too high, in particular to the university students, who actually are a major population of the users of this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd like to highly recommend this software if you are a student or a faculty member in universities.

Spread knowledge through educating students and publishing papers based on the conduction of cutting-edge research. We have more than one hundred students every year graduated. They join academe or industry to benefit our society with the knowledge they learn from the university. That is the greatest benefit we realized.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Non-intuitive, confusing interface with too many options"

What do you like best?

EndNote works okay once you have a library put together and are able to manage citations using "cite as you write" features.

What do you dislike?

Learning how to add publications to your library is incredibly frustrating. Had to even know where to begin with the lack of clarity on this or on organizing them once you have them entered. The lack of ability to grab reference information from the web is also telling. Free alternatives exist that do this well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into alternatives - this product is not going to save you time unless you have an expert in your organization who can train your team on how to use it effectively.

We're trying to be efficient in our publication process. Many journals require very specific reference formats. EndNote is supposed to make it easier to manage this but it does not - just adds another level of frustration.

EndNote review by Bernard Q.
Bernard Q.

"EndNote odes not work on IMac..."

What do you like best?

I used to like it on PC but it's a nightmare on IOS.

What do you dislike?

The EndNote X 8.2 is unstable on Mac IOs, bugging and freezing almost every time. No good answer from the company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DO not choose EndNote for IOS.

Research bibliography

EndNote review by Jinan B.
Jinan B.

"An easy program to use to cite references"

What do you like best?

EndNote allows me to easily create a library of references and insert citations into my papers. I can very easily insert and delete citations in text and in my bibliography.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have to manually enter a reference if the paper is not available on PubMed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very easy to save papers located in PubMed in Endnote, and you can do so with the click of a few buttons.

I use EndNote for my research papers, and have published a number of papers that have involved use of this software.

"Good reference manager"

What do you like best?

Endnote is easy to use and a great quality software. Their customer service is excellent as well. They have prompt and accurate response. There are many citation styles and it is easy to customize by myself.

I used to use Mendeley, but now this is the main reference manager.

What do you dislike?

It is great software but license fee is not cheap.... Also it seems like the file will be broken when I save the library file on cloud service, such as dropbox. I write papers with other people, so it would be great if we can share the library file...

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best reference manager so far for me if you have money or your company pays for this, I strongly recommend to buy this. If you have any difficulty, you can search online or ask customer service. Overall, it is worth to pay that much.

I am a researcher and write papers, so I am using the Endnote as primary reference manager. There are many citation styles, so I don't need to modify the style based on the journals.

EndNote review by Jennifer N.
Jennifer N.

"Easy Endnote Experience "

What do you like best?

As what I like to call a "professional student" and researcher, Endnote makes reading and flagging research articles very easy. Any research article that I read can be quickly imported to Endnote by the click of a button. Endnote will then formulate a citation in your preferred citation style. This citation can be easily imported to Microsoft Word to reference a quote/paraphrased sentence and it immediately creates a bibliography. It saves a lot of time in the citation/bibliography process and is very organized. It is also a great place to store and categorize articles that interest you so you don't have to spend the time searching for it again.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to share Endnote with another user. If you are writing a research paper with a group of people, only one Endnote account can add citations to the document or else the formatting will be wrong. Endnote takes some time to get used to, but once you understand the set-up, it is quite simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you rarely use citations and references, this software is not for you. But if you are often writing papers, reading research, and performing research, this software makes a complicated process so incredibly simple.

The problem that is being solved by this product is making citing your sources simple. This is something that people take classes about, and this product does it all for you; all you have to do is provide the article to cite. The main benefit this has had for me is a major decrease in time spent creating my own bibliography for a paper and ensuring I was citing all my sources correctly (and legally). It has also saved me ample time in that it can store all of my articles indefinitely so I am not spending time searching for an interesting article that I read the abstract of earlier in the week; I can just add it to my Endnote library and it will be there waiting for me until I delete it.

EndNote review by Tejasvi D.
Tejasvi D.

"Makes things more organized although not necessarily easier! "

What do you like best?

EndNote makes cataloguing of sources that are to be used in the research work extremely systemized and easy to keep track of. It lets you upload pdfs of the file onto the software so you can access them at any point, even without internet. This feature is extremely useful when working on multiple papers/projects because it lets you compartmentalize documents instead of having them randomly saved on your computer. It has an extensive list of citation systems that you can choose from and has a decent integration with Microsoft Word.

What do you dislike?

It's not something you can figure out as you go along, I would suggest taking a tutorial or asking someone who already uses it to familiarize you with it to make the most of the software. The normal citation feature is very easy to use but will require extensive input of data, it doesn't always pull everything from the url or source of the information. I honestly felt like the only thing it helped me in was arranging the information in a particular format - you spend equal amount of type entering information on it as you would typing it out independently. The integration between computers (trying to share your endnote file with someone else you're working with) is patchy and I feel can definitely be more streamlined so that it works with different systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the most of the trial period to familiarize yourself with the software rather than waiting for the need to arise to use certain specialized features. It is a highly advanced software when it comes to citations and can be very useful but only if you tap into all of its features.

I used the software as a research assistant, mainly for compiling research data and articles that were to be used for a book my supervisor was looking to get published.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Unique citation manager software"

What do you like best?

There are several features that make EndNote a unique citation manager. First, I never face problem in updating my bibliography in the word processor. When I am working on different papers, I can have a distinct library for each. Amazingly, EndNote will look for the full-text paper for your references which makes it a unique citation manager software. EndNote is also friendly with many bibliographic database search engines like Web of Science, Scopus, Google scholar, PubMed, etc. EndNote will also keep the PDF file of your references in a folder for your future use and you can also upload them to your account to have access to them from any PC.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, EndNote is very expensive comparing to the other citation manager softwares.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a citation manager with all possible features EndNote is the only one.

Systematic review in health domain

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Excellent job at organizing your references!"

What do you like best?

Endnote is the most powerful research and reference manager on the market, it helps you do Referencing in a Click with in text and end-note referencing and bibliography. The software also allows you to change the style as per your need.

What do you dislike?

In order to use Endnote you must purchase a license, although if you work at a public university you have good chances to have it for free.

In addition, a rare issue with Endnote is that the Format my bibliography function can sometimes be slow or freeze.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the latest update to X7, featuring a fully 64-bit version of Cite While You Write for Word 2016. EndNote X7 can automatically update, but you may need to manually update.

I use Endnote to format the bibliography in all my scientific production, from grant applications to writings and posters for publication.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Endnote: A finicky program that gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Endnote is great at organizing and formatting your sources while you are writing. I no longer have to worry about manually searching through my document to change citation numbers if I add or remove a source.

What do you dislike?

Formatting rules are very restrictive, and the process for adding a new citation from a scientific journal is not intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a learning curve

Endnote helps me to write scientific manuscripts and reports faster and with less errors.

"Reference Management"

What do you like best?

Helps me keep track of all references and organize them by category. Makes it easy to generate bibliography to use in LaTeX and Word.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is archaic; the plug-in for Word is useful but does not offer a lot of flexibility to edit/replace references when you've inserted them. Importing references is not as straightforward as I'd like - sometimes EndNote doesn't recognize/like the record I am importing so I have to enter it manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend looking at other solutions before settling on EndNote. I used EndNote because my institution provided it, without researching other solutions beforehand, and found myself stuck in an archaic user interface.

Generating bibliographies and references for manuscripts

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Great Reference Manager for organizing Sources"

What do you like best?

Easy to use reference manager that provides great integration with Microsoft office products and allows for easy citations in scientific manuscripts. Ease of integration and the ability to format bibliographies and other items for papers makes it easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a little clunky and unintuitive to use. the GUI is also fairly ugly and could use a design refresh

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would definitely recommend!!!

Use it to cite published literature in manuscripts.

EndNote review by Alyssa B.
Alyssa B.

"EndNote Review"

What do you like best?

Great for keeping track of all my references and for instantly creating a bibliography

What do you dislike?

At times, it is not totally intuitive. Have to hand enter older references

I mostly use EndNote for scientific publications

"Best in Class"

What do you like best?

I have used other reference management software in the past and strongly prefer EndNote. The ease of use is amazing, and I really like the Word plugin.

What do you dislike?

Endnote desktop can only be installed on one desktop. Additionally, importing pdf files can sometimes be difficult for Endnote to actually find the journal articles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a trial and test it against your current software. I really like it for my purposes (reference management), but I know others prefer different software (some of which are free). Overall, this is really good software.

Endnote solves the obvious problem of not keeping track of references. However, Endnote does it better than much of the competition.

EndNote review by Ekarasa D.
Ekarasa D.

"library catalogue"

What do you like best?

It was very good for sighting, was linking directly to the word document. And a great place to add notes and have a list of readings.

What do you dislike?

Wasnt too easy to use, took me some time to understand how to correctly use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program fills the gap of being able to store all your references and place them back in your document in the format you'd like. Lots of support for all the referencing standards.

I used end note during my studies, was very useful in writing my Thesis.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Use of Endnote in Graduate Work"

What do you like best?

I like that Microsoft word has an add-on for it. I also like that I can use the online search tool and it will sync to my desktop account.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it seems to slow down my computer a lot and sometimes if you need to change things when doing in-text citations, it can get wonky. I also wish it had more citation styles. I've had to make my own for a few journals that required a slightly different style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use. Very similar to Zotero if your university uses that. It's not free so if you can get some sort of corporate account, it would be more worth your time. It does not sync well with google chrome. Even with the add-on available, it's not great. Overall a great product that does what is supposed to.

I do not have any business problems

EndNote review by Dmitry Z.
Dmitry Z.

"Very convenient"

What do you like best?

...to modify and gather references and adapt their format as needed for scientific writing. Helps write publications faster, reorganize references, add/remove literature very quickly and as necessary.

What do you dislike?

It does not always recognize PDFs automatically that you upload.

The sharing function between different endnote users is horrible (unlike drobox).

The dropbox library format is incompatible with many other programs

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you will use it for yourself in combination with Microsoft Word: absolutely!

If you need to share your references with others: might wanna try other products first

Scientific wiritng

C.V.

EndNote review by Jishnu D.
Jishnu D.

"Excellent reference manager"

What do you like best?

Endnote has become more flexible and easy to use across versions. The traveling library feature is specially useful for authors collaborating on a manuscript.

What do you dislike?

Endnote is expensive and there are other free reference managers. However, I would still use Endnote given the set of features that it has.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great choice for power users.

Reference manager for writing scientific manuscripts, reports etc.

EndNote review by User

"Some good features, but difficult to use for a premium priced product"

What do you like best?

Integration with Microsoft Word and support for importing references is helpful. Well known software so can collaborate with others also using.

What do you dislike?

Steep learning curve on using properly and even basic functions are difficult or impossible to attain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would recommend a free product like Mendeley, which had all the features I needed.

Citing references in publications.

"Endnote is fantastic!!!"

What do you like best?

Endnote allows me to compile citations and easily insert them into a document as references and have a bibliography. Also, I can get full-text papers just with a click of a button!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, there are sync issues but it's seldom.

I can publish manuscripts using the references from Endnote, while adding to bibliography.

"Priceless"

What do you like best?

The time endnote saves in importing citations is priceless. Occasionally there are glitches and it causes word to crash but overall it is a most for writing papers.

What do you dislike?

Crashes occasionally. It is also not straight straight forward how to create your own reference format. I play a guessing game where I change it and see if it looks right and then change it again.

This saves time on importing citations for publications.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"EndNote Amazing software but unorganized support"

What do you like best?

Easy access to most databases, powerful search tool and the massive number of styles , the ability to work online and offline if you have your online library. Very easy to build your own library.

What do you dislike?

Expensive, lack of support for previous versions. For example, instead of offering free upgrade to customers using Endnote 7, the vendor suggested downgrading Microsoft word to 2015!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I you have the fund and patience on very frequent updates, Endnote is a fantastic referencing manager to use..

Database search, referencing and citation

"Fantastic Product"

What do you like best?

Ability to sort many references in one place. Can store pdf copies of the manuscripts and search for them as needed while writing papers. Integration into word is also a great feature

What do you dislike?

Saving multiple libraries can be complicated and distracting. I have a library for each manuscript/grant I write but also have to save one giant library that contains all the relevant papers. Seems like this could be streamlined in the future

Recommendations to others considering the product

worth the money

resource management, citations in manuscript and grant preparation, organization of documents

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Great way to maintain library of references"

What do you like best?

Syncing to Word for in text citations, ability to add citation styles, ability to share libraries with others, web search to find PDF attachments of reference

What do you dislike?

icons are difficult to understand initially, may crash on occasion

I can share my library with others and our references will sync together when writing papers

"Easy references"

What do you like best?

Endnote stores the references you need and makes it incredibly easy to insert references into a paper while writing it. There is an Endnote tab for Microsoft Word and there are multiple reference styles that can be selected. Endnote will automatically format the references for you and it can easily update them as changes are made.

What do you dislike?

It is a little complicated to search, download and save new reference styles (such as those for particular journals).

It is a wonderful tool to use when writing an article and using references.

EndNote review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Higher Education
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Higher Education

"excellent referencing software"

What do you like best?

EndNote is the best referencing software I have used so fat. References are very easy to add from online journals. EndNote for Word is very handy as well: creating citations is quick and very intuitive.

What do you dislike?

There are sometimes issues with updating the references; for some journals this does not work very well, in order to get the doi manual entry is required.

Formatting is sometimes a little troublesome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best referencing software out there,

I use EndNote for publications of scientific papers.

EndNote review by Mahesh T.
Mahesh T.

"Must have for writing journal articles"

What do you like best?

The ease of using it. Without endnote citing papers while writing a scientific journal is nearly impossible.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. For a new user, it might seem complicated but once you get a hang of it, its very easy to use.

I am writing a manuscript

EndNote review by Elvin Joel E.
Elvin Joel E.

"Excellent organizer"

What do you like best?

The synchronization feature between my computer and ipad.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the issue with the leaved comments on the article. Also, the highlight feature is average.

I can organize purchase quotes much better, and classify it in my manner.

EndNote review by Hannah J.
Hannah J.

"Makes citations simple"

What do you like best?

I don't have to spend all of my time typing each citation myself

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when I try to download a citation from an online article, it doesn't work.

I am able to use EndNote to help with writing my thesis.

"Not worth the money!"

What do you like best?

I would say that if your company has access to endnote, and it's the only option, it's good and it gets the job done, but I would not recommend it. It has good integration with word, which is an added benefit.

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to use, the search features for whole texts are clunky. Plus, it is pricey.

Trying to organize many references, but ended up switching to Mendeley.

"Review for endnote"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, time saving. can be used to write dissertations, research papers using different bibliography styles

What do you dislike?

It is a very good software without any obvious demerits. The only demerit is that it is not free

to write research papers, avoids errors in reference/bibiography

EndNote review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Gold Standard for Reference management"

What do you like best?

The main draw of EndNote is that basically everyone uses it. It is well supported by online databases, so importing and creating reference list is easy. Also, since many of my colleagues use it, sharing libraries is very convenient.

What do you dislike?

EndNote needs to catch up with other software such as Mendeley in terms of online functions and sharing. Also, the interface is looking very tired and could use a major refresh.

Collaboration depends on individuals in an organization (and outside for that matter) using the same piece of software. Since so many people in my research circle use EndNote, it has really created opportunities for us to collaborate.

EndNote review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Makes paper writing oh so easy!"

What do you like best?

EndNote keeps me organized! Working in academia, I need to keep track of so many publications and EndNote makes it easy!

What do you dislike?

While this may be available on the online version of EndNote, I wish there was a way to set up an EndNote library like a google doc. I often would like to simultaneously edit a library with a coworker, but that is rather clunky.

We use EndNote to manage citation lists and literature reviews.

EndNote review by User

"Excellent for systematic reviews and large databases of papers"

What do you like best?

Excellent for systematic reviews and organizing large databases of papers

What do you dislike?

Syncing function only allows you to sync one library at a time, which means you can only use the desktop application for one project at a time.

Systematic reviews

EndNote review by Javier L.
Javier L.

"Great citation management"

What do you like best?

It’s very intuitive and allows for creation of libraries for different projects and subject matter.

What do you dislike?

The fact that there is no cloud based component.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be diligent in keeping track of where you save your libraries.

None

EndNote review by Mario N.
Mario N.

"My choice for citation manager tool"

What do you like best?

Easy to import paper citations; integrated with Microsoft Word

What do you dislike?

Sometimes not straightforward, could be more interactive and modernized

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to organize your citations while importing them, so your References will show up adequately

Writing scientific papers

"Refrences made easier"

What do you like best?

Auto Updates texts in word documents quickly.

What do you dislike?

When large amount of references are used in word, the program will become unstable.

When styles are used in word, forcing end note to a particular style is not reliable.

An updated list of references does not show up in ppt, also numbering in ppt is not useful.

This puts references into the correct formats.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Best citing software out there"

What do you like best?

Endnote is definitely the best software out there. With the latest update, there is so much one can do with this software. My favorite feature is being about to share my library with my collaborators so we can all share the same resources and don't have to export one another libraries.

What do you dislike?

There is no add-on in the browser to cite from various online sources directly.

Its helps me write papers, prepare reports and case studies without having to manually cite my sources. Saves me time and increases our

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Love endnote for my bilbliographies"

What do you like best?

SO helpful for managing references and publishing bibliographies

What do you dislike?

Not the most user friendly, depending on what kind of function youre trying to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would consider using a service like this, because it's immensely helpful when writing or publishing.

Helps me keep my references in order, create folder systems to manage groups or categories of articles, and helps me publish citations at the end so I don't have to create these by hand.

EndNote review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Easy to use bibliography tool "

What do you like best?

I like how seamlessly this tool interfaces with Microsoft Word.

What do you dislike?

It has a steep learning curve - at first it was difficult to understand how to format citations and how/when to switch between Word and Endnote.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the tutorial videos prior to using - they are very helpful and worthwhile.

I am using EndNote to write research related grants, and it is easy to collaborate with my coworkers.

"Great Reference Tool"

What do you like best?

A great interface. Can import and search research articles quickly and nicely. Can annotate PDFs.

What do you dislike?

Hard user interface; not very intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Steep learning curve.

Reference keeper for research articles.

EndNote review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"Useful, but has too many bugs "

What do you like best?

EndNote is very useful as a database for the publications that stem out of the research grants that our program has funded.

What do you dislike?

EndNote is very buggy. For instance, the online search feature does not work a lot of the time. And in the newest versions of EndNote, the program will close unexpectedly when doing things such as creating or editing groups. It also refuses to open our libraries fairly frequently for no conceivable reason.

EndNote will allow us to use bibliometrics to track which grants and RFAs have been the most productive.

User in Research

"Helpful for managing your sources"

What do you like best?

The fact that all the sources are stored in one location and that traveling libraries are possible

What do you dislike?

It glitches if you have too many sources or if the versions of Word aren't compatible

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product. Runs into problems with different versions of Word or if you have more than 50,000 sources

Helps to synchronize citation styles among coworkers

EndNote review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

"Great way to organize citations"

What do you like best?

I enjoy organizing and arranging citations used in my writings.

What do you dislike?

Downloading the scholar endnote file from google scholar and uploading it into the library is tedious. Need more automatic features

Recommendations to others considering the product

More automatic synching

I mostly do literature review on evidence based design topics

"Endnote"

What do you like best?

The drag and drop feature for references into google docs

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about this product

I use it to add scholarly references to scientific publications

"Great product"

What do you like best?

Ease of completing a citation list. Ease of search results. Love how quickly it finds and corrects the citation list.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes difficult to find specific citation style for journals. Online application would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have at least the title or two authors when finding citations.

Easier to find and input citations for manuscripts

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Endnote makes your publication easy!"

What do you like best?

I like many things about Endnote but the most amazing feature is changing styles in many ways in my word documents.

What do you dislike?

I had a few problems with endnote, especially if a word file is big and it can make it slower.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Endnote to other students and researchers.

academic reports, papers, thesis, etc.

EndNote review by Administrator in Research
Administrator in Research

"Strongly recommend"

What do you like best?

The organization piece and having a place to store the pdfs!

What do you dislike?

Adding all my existent articles can be cumbersome

The ability to find references more quickly and the ease of citing and making reference pages improves my writing efficiency.

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"Best reference manager with good customer support"

What do you like best?

Ability to find pdfs of articles, highlight them, & make annotated bibliographies within the software. Customer support and online access to libraries is also helpful.

What do you dislike?

Want to be able to print out entire endnote library easily.

Literature reviews got 10x more organized and it allows my team to collaborate on reference libraries

EndNote review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great software for references "

What do you like best?

I most appreciate the custimozabity and the various ways you can record additional information in the custom fields

What do you dislike?

no functional multi- undo!

it's also a big clunky program that my computer can barely handle

managing 10000+ references for systematic reviews

EndNote review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"Work related"

What do you like best?

Managing references, citations and bibliographies. Use of various formats

What do you dislike?

Nothing major that I dislike. It fulfills my requirements.

Report writing

EndNote review by User in Higher Education

"works well, sometimes better than expected"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use--not complicated and not convoluted. Makes writing a bit more enjoyable

What do you dislike?

can be limiting when trying to stay within a specified format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

definitely worth having

Benefits --each person finds something different beneficial, but using it has helped me make a decision that all computers used in our department should have endnote prior to assignment

EndNote review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Amazing for organizing scientific references!"

What do you like best?

So greta how you can perform an online web search for scientific articles and embed them directly into endnote bibliography

What do you dislike?

making libraries and syncing them with other users is not always successful

organizing references for scientific publications.

EndNote review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Adequate, albeit clunky and buggy"

What do you like best?

Applying a custom label to entries, allowing me to sort by said label.

What do you dislike?

Frequently freezes, shuts down, or fails to remember path of index file

It allows me to track literature across different projects

Learning about EndNote?

* We monitor all EndNote reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.