Engine Yard

Engine Yard Support delivers personal, hands-on support that goes way beyond what you expect - you can even think of us as a virtual extension of your team.

Work for Engine Yard?
Plesk paas 2x

Learning about Engine Yard?

Engine Yard Reviews

Ask Engine Yard a Question
Showing 5 Engine Yard reviews
Engine Yard review by <span>Greg Matthew C.</span>
Greg Matthew C.

Fantastic product and technical support, frustrating dealing with their "success managers"

What do you like best?

Their product and support is excellent for companies without devops experience.

What do you dislike?

They promised me that I could stay on a grandfathered plan, but then changed their mind and are trying to force me onto a newer plan that is 300% more expensive.

They also suggested I could bring my own Amazon EC2 credentials and realize some savings by reserving Amazon instances. Then after a month of dithering and non-response, they told me they don't want to offer that feature anymore. Still haven't received a decision from them after a month an a half. Very frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get your terms of service in writing (especially the fees and contract length). They've made promises to me on the phone that they later reneged on.

Engine Yard lets us focus on building our app, and leaves the DevOps worries to their platform.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Engine Yard
Engine Yard review by <span>Ryan B.</span>
Ryan B.

Rails deployment trade off of ease-of-use for affordability

What do you like best?

Very dependable rails deployment and hosting with more affordable pricing compared to the competition (heroku, rackspace etc)

What do you dislike?

Troubleshooting and configuration can be confusing and awkward. Their dashboard has lots of options, and is even a bit busy with features, however some common things are hidden and unintuitive (like settings environment variables)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared for searching documentation and contacting customer support if you have any non-standard, or custom apps you need to deploy

Hosting lower trafficked sites for internal tools, etc.

What Cloud Platform as a Service (PaaS) solution do you use?

Engine Yard review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

Solid offering for cloud hosting management solutions

What do you like best?

The deployment tools were best of breed when they first arrived, and they continue to have a very solid offering especially with providing support to AWS services.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike about this service, however there are a number of options in this space now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around as there are many providers in this space now, but Engine Yard continues to have a very solid offering.

They were fantastic at helping us get our application to market, and helping us to solve many load, scaling and general teething problems with hosting a technology that was new to us at the time.

Engine Yard review by Agency in Commercial Real Estate
Agency in Commercial Real Estate

Heroku vs. Engine Yard - Heroku wins

What do you like best?

I think engine yard is a GREAT platform. Back before Heroku's toolbelt they were my preferred web hosting platform. Unfortunately Heroku's platform is leaps and bounds ahead of where they are and they lost me as a customer. The biggest reason I left was that Heroku offered their free development tier, something EY was unwilling to accommodate.

What do you dislike?

It's a shame, I really love EY but as a busy developer I don't have the time to configure resources and play sysadmin - this is the real problem the Heroku solved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

check out Heroku or if you want to user EY - Docker.

We build web and mobile applications for startups and household consumer brands.

Engine Yard review by <span>Jared T.</span>
Jared T.

Industrial Grade and Expensive Ruby on Rails hosting

What do you like best?

They know Ruby on Rails hosting better than anyone, has serious support and knowledge.

What do you dislike?

Expensive - not really for a startup using Ruby on Rails. They give you free hours to start but price jumps after that. If you are cost conscious this is not the place to start.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Serious rails hosting for only serious businesses. Entry level price point is too high for most users.

Learning about Engine Yard?

* We monitor all Engine Yard reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.