Espresso

Changing the world, one app at a time.

Work for Espresso?

Learning about Espresso?

Compare Espresso to Similar Solutions

Espresso Reviews

Showing 24 Espresso reviews
Espresso review by <span>Tom K.</span>
Tom K.
Validated Review

Go to tool for web design and maintenance!

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I love that I can have one tool to both manage my web sites, edit them, and preview the changes all in a single piece of software.

With MacRabbit's Espresso you begin by creating a New Project. You set up a location on your hard drive for the files you will be editing, then you configure how you connect to the server where the files will end up.

The code editor is split into 3 columns. The left column has your files. The center is your code editor, and the right shows the navigator so you can see the sections of the code you are working on and drill down in the functions.

The syntax highlighting makes it very easy to see how your code is laid out. The lines are numbered on the left and if you hover your mouse along next to the line numbers, it will highlight the blocks of your code. You can click on the little bar that shows your code block and it will collapse that section making it easier to see the rest of what you are working on.

You can use the navigator in the right side to quickly find a section in your code.

Up at the top there is a button to allow you to preview your code output. You can either see it within the program, in an external browser, or in a pop-up window.

Espresso has so many features it will cover any task that you might need to when working on web sites.

What do you dislike?

The initial setup for a site can be a bit confusing at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give this software a try. You really can't go wrong with it. I've been using it for many years and the latest version is really a step up in terms of ease of use.

Creating and managing web sites. This is a great tool to maintain multiple web sitess.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Espresso
Espresso review by <span>Sean S.</span>
Sean S.

Best Mac CSS Editor on the market

Validated Review
What do you like best?

The simplicity of the software is it's greatest feature. It you know CSS this tool is by far the easiest way to speed up your coding. If you are brand new to CSS this tool will help you learn the ins and outs of CSS in no time. As long as this software is updated regularly I see no need to look any further for CSS creation and editing.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were multi-platform. I have a lot of windows fans that can't use this great software. There is not much I dislike about Espresso but if I had to pick one it would be the price. It's still super affordable at $99.00 but some of my freelance colleagues would rather use freeware.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the Best Mac CSS Editor on the market

I use Espresso quite a bit with the XRay function to modify css that has already been output by other modules.When working on Wordpress sites with robust themes there is a lot of CSS output. This software is invaluable to finding and editing the code put out by multiple functions and plugins.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Web Design solution do you use?

Espresso review by <span>Alexandru D.</span>
Alexandru D.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The UI is looking great, and it is well integrated with local development and ftp/cloud services. The browser preview is also integrated.

What do you dislike?

I dont have a dislike option on Espresso, but constant updating and new features integration would be a plus. The upgrade price it is though an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Espresso upgrade policy is not what we expect but otherwise, the software is a top choice for web applications and static websites as well. It is good for developing locally, updating to FTP and file synchronization. It is a

We use it since its early time and we use it for coding HTML and updating static websites. We definitely recommend it for daily use.

Espresso review by <span>William W.</span>
William W.
Validated Review

A good, all round code editor for the Mac

Validated Review
What do you like best?

It's a very user-friendly code editor. Syntax highlighting works well and the CSS editor (which was based on the one previously used in CSSedit) is really nice to work with. Unlike apps like Adobe Brackets, this is a native Mac-developed app, so it works well on all newer Mac's. I learnt a great deal about modern web development, through using Espresso. Features like snippets are really useful and I wrote my own 'sugars' for a couple of CMS platforms.

What do you dislike?

Updates have become pricey and somewhat complicated. Espresso sometimes struggles to open compressed Javascript files. The built-in FTP engine isn't always terribly reliable (files sometimes don't sync to the server).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free demo version and test Espresso alongside other apps like Atom and BBedit. Test the opening of different files and the ability to edit them.

Basically it is my main code editor for all web development. I sometimes dabble with BBEdit or Atom for a few things. It is a very visual tool, and a great learning aid for modern web technologies, like XML, PHP, CSS, HTML5 and Javascript.

Espresso review by <span>Josh W.</span>
Josh W.
Validated Review

Sunsetting my favorite feature???

Validated Review
What do you like best?

The ability to extract and live edit stylesheets is the number one reason I and the other coder at our company began using this product.

What do you dislike?

In the latest "big" update, it seems that these features have been removed or minimized. It's quite possible that I missed something or do not understand where to find this functionality in the new system. If so, this feels like a UX and/or transition breakdown. Is it possible that I've merely overlooked this feature?

Either way, for this reason, I've reverted back to the older version of the app and continue to use and enjoy the older features.

While there are plenty of text editors out there that offer plug-in support, auto-complete features, and well-designed interfaces, none (that I'm aware of) offer the ability to take a website URL, extract the stylesheet, and then make edits to that stylesheet in real time. Additionally, being a design-first web professional, being able to see my changes in "real time" allows me to make design judgment calls and adjustments mid-process. I realize that many code ninjas strictly follow mockups, but I've found that it strengthens the end product to continually make design adjustments and improvements at every step of the website build.

Espresso review by <span>Stephanie M.</span>
Stephanie M.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The interface is nice and clean. I do like how it lays out the files within my project.

What do you dislike?

It's just okay. I've switched to Sublime editor, which is free, and I find it works just as well but with an even simpler interface which I prefer.I've tried using it again recently as I haven't found a text editor I am in love with, and there hasn't really seemed to many updates in the last year and a half/two years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other free software out there I would try first.

I used this throughout college to code and for a while after because I enjoyed how it organized my files and used color to organize my code.

Learning about Espresso?

* We monitor all Espresso reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Espresso to Similar Solutions