Espresso

Changing the world, one app at a time.

Work for Espresso?

Learning about Espresso?

Compare Espresso to Similar Solutions

Espresso Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 28 Espresso reviews
Espresso review by Tom K.
Tom K.

"Go to tool for web design and maintenance!"

What do you like best?

I love that I can have one tool to both manage my web sites, edit them, and preview the changes all in a single piece of software.

With MacRabbit's Espresso you begin by creating a New Project. You set up a location on your hard drive for the files you will be editing, then you configure how you connect to the server where the files will end up.

The code editor is split into 3 columns. The left column has your files. The center is your code editor, and the right shows the navigator so you can see the sections of the code you are working on and drill down in the functions.

The syntax highlighting makes it very easy to see how your code is laid out. The lines are numbered on the left and if you hover your mouse along next to the line numbers, it will highlight the blocks of your code. You can click on the little bar that shows your code block and it will collapse that section making it easier to see the rest of what you are working on.

You can use the navigator in the right side to quickly find a section in your code.

Up at the top there is a button to allow you to preview your code output. You can either see it within the program, in an external browser, or in a pop-up window.

Espresso has so many features it will cover any task that you might need to when working on web sites.

What do you dislike?

The initial setup for a site can be a bit confusing at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give this software a try. You really can't go wrong with it. I've been using it for many years and the latest version is really a step up in terms of ease of use.

Creating and managing web sites. This is a great tool to maintain multiple web sitess.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Espresso
Espresso review by Sean S.
Sean S.

"Best Mac CSS Editor on the market"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of the software is it's greatest feature. It you know CSS this tool is by far the easiest way to speed up your coding. If you are brand new to CSS this tool will help you learn the ins and outs of CSS in no time. As long as this software is updated regularly I see no need to look any further for CSS creation and editing.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were multi-platform. I have a lot of windows fans that can't use this great software. There is not much I dislike about Espresso but if I had to pick one it would be the price. It's still super affordable at $99.00 but some of my freelance colleagues would rather use freeware.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the Best Mac CSS Editor on the market

I use Espresso quite a bit with the XRay function to modify css that has already been output by other modules.When working on Wordpress sites with robust themes there is a lot of CSS output. This software is invaluable to finding and editing the code put out by multiple functions and plugins.

What Web Design solution do you use?

Espresso review by Alexandru D.
Alexandru D.

"Software for developers, easy and powerful tool"

What do you like best?

The UI is looking great, and it is well integrated with local development and ftp/cloud services. The browser preview is also integrated.

What do you dislike?

I dont have a dislike option on Espresso, but constant updating and new features integration would be a plus. The upgrade price it is though an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Espresso upgrade policy is not what we expect but otherwise, the software is a top choice for web applications and static websites as well. It is good for developing locally, updating to FTP and file synchronization. It is a

We use it since its early time and we use it for coding HTML and updating static websites. We definitely recommend it for daily use.

Espresso review by William W.
William W.

"A good, all round code editor for the Mac"

What do you like best?

It's a very user-friendly code editor. Syntax highlighting works well and the CSS editor (which was based on the one previously used in CSSedit) is really nice to work with. Unlike apps like Adobe Brackets, this is a native Mac-developed app, so it works well on all newer Mac's. I learnt a great deal about modern web development, through using Espresso. Features like snippets are really useful and I wrote my own 'sugars' for a couple of CMS platforms.

What do you dislike?

Updates have become pricey and somewhat complicated. Espresso sometimes struggles to open compressed Javascript files. The built-in FTP engine isn't always terribly reliable (files sometimes don't sync to the server).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free demo version and test Espresso alongside other apps like Atom and BBedit. Test the opening of different files and the ability to edit them.

Basically it is my main code editor for all web development. I sometimes dabble with BBEdit or Atom for a few things. It is a very visual tool, and a great learning aid for modern web technologies, like XML, PHP, CSS, HTML5 and Javascript.

Espresso review by Josh W.
Josh W.

"Sunsetting my favorite feature???"

What do you like best?

The ability to extract and live edit stylesheets is the number one reason I and the other coder at our company began using this product.

What do you dislike?

In the latest "big" update, it seems that these features have been removed or minimized. It's quite possible that I missed something or do not understand where to find this functionality in the new system. If so, this feels like a UX and/or transition breakdown. Is it possible that I've merely overlooked this feature?

Either way, for this reason, I've reverted back to the older version of the app and continue to use and enjoy the older features.

While there are plenty of text editors out there that offer plug-in support, auto-complete features, and well-designed interfaces, none (that I'm aware of) offer the ability to take a website URL, extract the stylesheet, and then make edits to that stylesheet in real time. Additionally, being a design-first web professional, being able to see my changes in "real time" allows me to make design judgment calls and adjustments mid-process. I realize that many code ninjas strictly follow mockups, but I've found that it strengthens the end product to continually make design adjustments and improvements at every step of the website build.

Espresso review by Stephanie M.
Stephanie M.

"It works well, but not anything special."

What do you like best?

The interface is nice and clean. I do like how it lays out the files within my project.

What do you dislike?

It's just okay. I've switched to Sublime editor, which is free, and I find it works just as well but with an even simpler interface which I prefer.I've tried using it again recently as I haven't found a text editor I am in love with, and there hasn't really seemed to many updates in the last year and a half/two years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other free software out there I would try first.

I used this throughout college to code and for a while after because I enjoyed how it organized my files and used color to organize my code.

Espresso review by Michael F.
Michael F.

"Best text editor for the Mac"

What do you like best?

- It's a really clean and light interface and fast to use.

- Reliable (I use it everyday)

- Simple enough but has everything I need

What do you dislike?

- The older version seemed to crash but version 5+ seems solid

When coding apps and sites I find that using Espresso allows me to save loads of time because it's a pleasure to work with, is fast to use and nice to look at. I tried other text editors and they were a little uglier to say the least. If I'm staring at it / using it everyday and almost all day, I need it to look and function nicely :)

Espresso review by Lucy W.
Lucy W.

"Coders Rejoice with Espresso software"

What do you like best?

Espresso is one of those amazing software with amazing tools for web developers, some of those great tools are visual CSS editing, X-ray and preview window. Espresso has different versions of their software, and this the part of the review where I say that the app is good but could be better in certain areas, but I really only have positive things to say about Espresso 2. The Kaboom version, like all pre-release software, had some quirks but as far as I can tell all of these have been smoothed out so if you tried an early preview it’s time to take another look.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing really that I dislike, there is different versions of the software and the newest always is the best, it comes with upgraded features, probably just the fact that we need to purchase the newest, but other than that every penny it's worth.

The inclusion of visual CSS editing is the real icing of the cake from this software, that is what makes this software the favorite of them all, it gives you so much more idea of what you are attempting to create.

Espresso review by Stephen S.
Stephen S.

"Lightweight & Functional Code Editor"

What do you like best?

Lightweight & fast with built in FTP, site & file management. Sync local & server files.

What do you dislike?

SIdebar design is functional but doesn't visually separate content well.

Sync is a little cumbersome, in that changes aren't tracked as you update files, but it's a scanning process where local & server files are compared which can be quite slow and cumbersome for large projects.

Plugins and syntax highlighting extensions do exist as "Sugars" but there aren't very many out there compared to other editors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I switched from Espresso to Panic's Coda 2 about two years ago and haven't been inclined to go back. Coda's feature set is much more robust than Espresso while maintaining ease of use. I like Espresso's 'Workspace' sidebar better than Coda's tab system, but it's a minor adjustment.

Espresso assists primarily for web development and managing many different sites & projects. Built in FTP & sync allow you to easily publish changes to your server, though the sync can be a bit slow for larger sites.

Espresso review by Albert K.
Albert K.

"Espresso is the text editor for the rest of us."

What do you like best?

Ease of use, snippets implementation and smart coding

What do you dislike?

I don’t think this app have a flaw... maybe the way to handle live html websites thru ftp can be kind of confusing but definitely duable

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best text editor for mac, go get it!

Espresso is a tool that can be used for fixing small codes on websites when maintenance or to build a brand new webpage from scratch.

Espresso review by Ashley C.
Ashley C.

"Easy, simple coding all in one spot. "

What do you like best?

My favorite part is having an FTP and text editor all in one. Being able to connect to my website's server easily and navigate to the file I need to update then send it up all in one go is so helpful in my work process. Not to mention the app is very well designed!

What do you dislike?

I wish it was easier to incorporate and install different coding languages, or maybe I'm just naive and haven't figured it out properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anybody I know who is a web developer are already using Espresso or are currently using Sublime Text, so my list of people to recommend espresso is limited :)

The FTP and editor being all in one interface greatly improves my work flow and simplifies my tasks.

Espresso review by User in Internet

"Decent tool for coding"

What do you like best?

The all in one solution for all things coding and ftp is great about Espresso. At the moment I do not use it as much as I used to, but is was thé tool dor me to maintain my websites.

Just one app to start after booting up the Mac and your are good to go and start working on your projects.

What do you dislike?

I can not think of anything. But I do not use it that much anymore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Place it next to the other options out there and make a choice for yourself.

Consider Espresso especially when you want to have one tool to do a lot of things combined.

FTP, styling and codewriting. And as a nice extra, looking up reference guides.

It all depends on your own personal opinion, but Espresso should be on the shortlist to explore while looking for a new editor in your workflow.

No really problem solving here. Espresso just gets work done. It all depends on your own workflow if it fits your needs.

Espresso review by Dustin R.
Dustin R.

"Simple and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Espresso is never glitchy, and has a great design aesthetic.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any complaints with Espresso, it's always done what I needed seamlessly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do mostly simple, quick coding then I would highly recommend Espresso. It's a breeze to figure out and use, I've never had any issues. Updates are seamless and never get in the way of your workflow.

Quick coding changes are always done quickly - saves time that the app loads quickly and is easy to use.

Espresso review by User

"Perfect for small projects such as building out your own website or a mom/pop shop"

What do you like best?

Espresso is very easy to use. I like you can customize your code color scheme as I prefer dark tones to ease eye strain. Being able to upload to your server right within Espresso is also very convenient.

What do you dislike?

Espresso could be more robust but it does function well for what it does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the free trial and figure out if it's for you.

Espresso allowed me to being developing websites without having to purchase a more expensive tool.

Espresso review by Mike N.
Mike N.

"Web Designer Essential tool!"

What do you like best?

I love this product, and I use this more often than dreamweaver. The integration of CSS Edit and the price makes this a must have.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more current updates. It seems like it's been a long time since the last one. It makes me worried that Espresso is no longer supported

Espresso has helped me develop sites much quicker and efficiently

Espresso review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"I'm not coder, just designer that love Expresso"

What do you like best?

I love it! easy understand of css and how manage files from my ftp. Really really fast program, easy on all aspect, not need huge software like adobe dw

What do you dislike?

- not responsive css feature (it's hard to use on little media queries)as I can use with desktop media queries.

- not easy customize css on :hover stuff, sub menu and stuff like these

- manage cache, and I like to improve it with best formatting and minify css

Recommendations to others considering the product

Espresso can help you to learn css and how its works developing website. It is really clear and tidy, but it works great for editing website/cms/wordpress

easy for me for css with a really basic css knowledge. I'm using since 2010 and I really consider it essential part of my works tool

Espresso review by Taly M.
Taly M.

"Switched from Dreamweaver!"

What do you like best?

how simple it is to setup and how easy it was to start using it.

What do you dislike?

They offer very rare and simple updates it gets and it does nothing better than any texteditor + codekit etc. does. It went downhill from cssedit quite a bit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

more updates with improvements fixing bugs...

website development, ftp management.

Espresso review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Easy program for coding beginners"

What do you like best?

The split screen of code and preview is much smoother than other coding applications. It highlights the text that you have selected in the preview and vice versa, closes tags, and color codes the text.

What do you dislike?

The automatic closings take some getting used to, but make building much quicker once you get used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Espresso offers a free trial, so if you are on the verge of trying a new program, you are able to see if Espresso offers everything you need.

Espresso has a one time fee, making it a more cost efficient choice as opposed to other programs.

Espresso review by Joel E.
Joel E.

"My view on espresso "

What do you like best?

I enjoy how simple it is to navigate around the software. I like the fact that it’s easy to use with newer Mac systems.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to open with some javascripts files. P

It’s easily accessible to my files and it is able to keep everything organized.

Espresso review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Great software"

What do you like best?

It is inexpensive. Really good interface, well designed, makes everything clear. Good tech support.

What do you dislike?

I have not discovered anything I dislike about it.

I was able to create the code for an e-blast using this software.

Espresso review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Is Espresso supported and updated consistently?"

What do you like best?

Simple, easy to use interface. Auto-suggests code to boost productivity.

What do you dislike?

I don't get the feeling like anyone is working on the product anymore. New standards for CSS3 aren't supported.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Google it, look at blogs that review the best software for coding in 2016, I'm not sure Espresso would be at the top of their lists.

Generating high quality digital work for my clients in the form of websites, landing pages and email templates for Marketing.

Espresso review by User

"My day by day IDE"

What do you like best?

I really like the instant preview. It help me a lot when I'm in a front end development.

What do you dislike?

The lack of native support for Sass is a huge problem. It would facilitate the life of many users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Espresso is definitely the best web editor for Mac!

I like the way the express organizes projects, this makes much easier my organization as well.

Espresso review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Simple, reliable text editor"

What do you like best?

Auto-closing tags, find and replace functionality, project and preview functionality. Auto-sync upload via FTP

What do you dislike?

I have very few complaints. I have used this as my primary text editor for the past 4 or 5 years.

The software is simple and gets out of my way

Espresso review by Agency in Arts and Crafts
Agency in Arts and Crafts

"Its not bad"

What do you like best?

i am not really sure what i liked the most, i dont remember much about the program. i do remember liking the name the most. lol

What do you dislike?

i didnt like how it was hard to figure out.

absolutely none. i dont remember alot, it was difficult for me to understand because it was when i just first started using the computer programs

Espresso review by User in Computer Software

"Great Editor"

What do you like best?

CSS Editing, built in FTP great for small projects

What do you dislike?

Infrequent updates, not powerful enough for app development

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atom.io has a great community developing plugins which makes the app better to use for larger projects that aren't just simple websites

Web Development

Espresso review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Expressing "

What do you like best?

It is very user friendly! Templates to choose from. People with no design experience will find this very useful!

What do you dislike?

Would like to see more designs to choose from.

Very user friendly

Espresso review by Administrator

"not a fan"

What do you like best?

easy to use, sort of, maybe i should read the manual

What do you dislike?

not intuitive to use. other product do the job better

None

Espresso review by Consultant in Cosmetics
Consultant in Cosmetics

"The best "

What do you like best?

It the best thing since sliced bread. Easy to use

What do you dislike?

I don’t dislike anything about espresso.

We solve everything.

Learning about Espresso?

* We monitor all Espresso reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Espresso to Similar Solutions