ExactTarget
Badge 1395888326

ExactTarget

112 8.5 / 10
Compare Request a Demo
ExactTarget is a targeted email marketing provider for Fortune 500 and Small Businesses alike.

ExactTarget Reviews (125)

Robust- scalable, handles millions of emails in a simultaneous burst. Reporting is silid, valuble, allows us to keep our delivery rate at 99% on average. Optout... Read More
0 ljrrcp6cptcjhqeaau8fcrgbpkloc da1px7crhbit5agnoljrhpmknw oa33zhjko a4bykwh7o
Peter Hoy
Administrator in Accounting
0 cv5yq4cdpwqcabdzh4q quidpw3v2qzzhrliqu1miez51k74apvkhrbb ite71mn jbcwp3moqae
Julie Clarkson
Administrator in Internet
Validated Review

Our email program is on a whole new level since switching to Exact Target.

What do you like best?

I like that we have all of our emails under one umbrella now. Previously I had no insight to our triggered/event driven emails (a total of 50 high-impact emails). Now I have access to make changes on the fly and can see how many we are sending and how they are performing. We really also have flexibility to do whatever we want. We run a lot of programs, segmentation and personalizaiton within our email program and concentrate on providing a 1:1 email experience for our users. I have always figured out these on my own but know that a lot of people use their "services" team for help at an extra cost.

What do you dislike?

I know when new users come on board, ET can feel a bit intimidating - for me personally, I didn't really know where to start. However once I dived in, it was a process of walking and not running. We've managed to build a massive program that comprises of event/triggered emails, ftp data uploads & programs for our b2c emails and we utilize the saleforce integration for our b2b business. Also everything is also ala carte. It gets annoying to have to pay extra for something later on that you didn't know you needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize your relationship manager to help you build an outline of your initial needs -- you can start from there and start checking things off the list. I also spent a lot of time on the phone with customer support which I found very helpful.

ExactTarget - Does it all and more

What do you like best?

We are currently using ET's Enterprise 2.0 and I find it to be an incredibly flexible tool that can do just about anything that we ask of it. We send 60 - 80 Million emails messages in about 160 different campaigns each month. Some senders are "Full Service" where our ET team does the build and deploy of the message - and some are distributed "Self Service" users that build their own message and then we send centrally. Both work very well. We have pushed the technology often and have found that ExactTarget is always able to do what we request. We also find that there are many ways to complete any task - this is good and bad. As we move forward some activities are done one way and some are done other ways. This flexibility is great until we try to back into what was done in the past.

We are using ET for normal campaigns as well as triggers, transactional, and streams. There is new functionality that will apparently make some of this easier for a novice to manage - but...

What do you dislike?

The fact that there are many ways to complete a task leaves many tasks done many ways. This flexibility can be confusing over time.

Reporting is also an area that could use some improvements. We found that many of the "Out of the Box" reports would not work for us based on the way that we were originally set up. This would have been great to know up front as we may have changed our set up requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Totally recommend the tool and the organization. The tool is easy to use and very intuitive, and keeps improving - and the organization is top notch.

The ExactTarget Global Support Team is an Amazing Resource

What do you like best?

As a member of the nonprofit user community, I need all the help I can get to develop effective and visually appealing marketing materials. While the ExactTarget Email and Social platforms are extremely user-friendly, I find myself running into the occasional speed-bump with html code, login/browser problems, etc. When these issues arise, the ExactTarget Global Support Team is an amazing resource. They are friendly, knowledgable, and above all else - they value your time. I can honestly say that I have never experienced such a high level of customer service with any other subscription-based company that I've worked with. With the support of the ExactTarget team, our organization is well on our way to improving the quality of communication pieces we put out to our network. And we're also learning how to use the incredible tracking and reporting services that come with our ExactTarget package so that we can constantly build-on and improve our organizational storytelling.

What do you dislike?

We switched to ExactTarget from a much simpler html email platform and the transition was slightly challenging for me (someone with little to no developing/coding experience). But ExactTarget has some super-helpful resources (like 3sixty - it's online user community) to help educate new users & troubleshoot potential problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get in touch with one of the sales reps and have an honest conversation about what your company/organizational goals are. If you're looking to improve your online marketing presence with a visually striking, user-friendly product, I think you'll be very pleased with what they have to say!

Exact Target Review

What do you like best?

This is an extremely reliable ESP. We have never had issues with deliverability on this platform. Migration of our data initially was very simple. We have the core product + Social Pages + Automation. The nice thing about ET is that all of the modules work together fairly seamlessly and I've found them to be pretty quick in getting their new acquisitions (IGoDigital, Pardot, Radian6, etc) on board and fully integrated to the platform. The new Hub Exchange marketplace makes it easier than ever to get all of your marketing info in one place, the Interactive Marketing hub, however, if your partners are not already on the fuel platform, it may take more than one client to convince them to develop a hub app.

What do you dislike?

The automation component is VERY robust. However, that means that you have a lot of options and it isn't the most intuitive way to do marketing automation. I recommend having ET professional services or a certified partner assist with initial marketing automation and then branching out from there. once you have a few examples, it DOES get easier. That being said, I know this is an area that ET is working on. The new playbooks make automation simpler, and Automation Studio does give a drag & drop interface for placing the elements (though you still have to make the plan and set up the activities before you can get a lot of use out of this interface). I don't use the WYSIWIG editor, the team here creates HTML emails and we use the paste HTML functionality so I can't offer much on that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the templates and decide if they would work for you and potentially work with ET professional services to develop custom templates if your team doesn't have the capability of doing that.

Great ESP but Limited Marketing Automation Functionality

What do you like best?

ExactTarget is a powerful ESP with excellent features like dynamic content, SFDC integration, A/B testing, easy list management and tons of reporting. It also offers some marketing automation functionality via add-ons like its Interactions feature.

What do you dislike?

Glitchy WYSIWYG

Its WYSIWYG editor is glitchy and does not seem to wholly support any one browser meaning you may find yourself toggling between IE and Firefox to access different features.

Limited SFDC Integration

SFDC integration is limited. You can easily send to SFDC contacts via SFDC Reports or Campaigns and pull email tracking reports. However, ET will not allow you to pull engagement reports using SFDC data or A/B test when performing an SFDC send.

Marketing Automation Limitations

ETs marketing automation features tend to be non-intuitive and difficult to implement. No drag and drop drip campaigns here. Prepare to roll up your sleeves and dig into

page after page of help documentation and forum threads.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bottom Line: If you need and email service provider and nothing more, ExactTarget is a very good option that offers tons of extras. But if you need a marketing automation powerhouse with full-fledged SFDC integration capabilities and all the bells and whistles, look to alternatives like Marketo, HubSpot or ExactTarget’s own Pardot which offers a suite of marketing solutions designed with automation in mind.

Tags

* We monitor all ExactTarget reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
As Featured in