ExpanDrive is a perfect solution for people who are using storage in the cloud.
Many people are using cloudstorage, like: Google Drive., Dropbox, OneDrive, your own NAS@home, etc.
Most cloudsolutions provide free tools that continuesly "sync" your cloudfiles to your local harddrive.
Of course when you only use one desktop- or laptopcomputer that will work fine, but the functionality is based on continuesly syncing and keeping the files between your computer and the cloud 100% equal.
So your cloudfiles are always using your local storage too!!
That is only handy when you work a lot of your time "Offline" on one single (laptop)computer.
People sometimes respond: "Yes, but multiple copies is a perfect backup solution, isn't it?".
Unfortunatelly that's not the way those products work. When you delete or breakup a file locally, it's immediatelly synced and also deleted or broken in your cloudstorage.
So people, synced copies from/to the cloud are no backup!
ExpanDrive works in a different way, it creates a drivemapping from your computer to your cloudstorage and it only transfers files from/to the cloudstorage when you really do access, copy or move them.
ExpanDrive really saves you unnessecary spilling of your local storage (no local copies anymore) and also you saves unnessecary internet traffic. There is only internet traffic when you really access/use the files.
Compare ExpanDrive's capabilities like the "old school" drivemappings to your companyserver.
You have a connection to that server, you can see all the files but the files are only transferred when you access them.
Did you ever synced ALL the files of the company server to your local harddisk? No, I hope you did not!! ;-)
ExpanDrive also does not sync all the files to your local harddrive unnessecary by default.
But when you really want it gives you the ability to do bring your cloudfiles to your local harddrive to work Offline.
At this moment ExpanDrive works on Windows and Mac platform and is expanding to the Linux platform as well. At this moment there is a Beta version available for Linux.
- No copies of files "spreaded everywhere" on local harddrives and the different computers that you're using.
- Many supported cloud platforms (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc).
- Driveletters on Windows (ideal for scripts that transfer files from drive "X" to "Y".
- Very easy to connect and to use.
- Offline working with cloudfiles is not setup default, but it is possible (per file/folder).
- Licensing is per User (not per Computer).
- They're expanding to the Linux platform too.
- No company cloud files are synced to local harddrives on all company computers.
- Never unexpected Full local harddrives because of the continues cloudsyncing.
- In company Windows environments, never unexpected huge userprofiles anymore.
(most cloudfiles are synced to the userprofile by default)
- Less internet traffic, only when you actually access the files.