(1,588 reviews)

Import expenses directly from a credit card to create free expense reports quickly with Expensify. Approve reports online and reimburse directly to a checking account with one click.

Work for Expensify?

Learning about Expensify?

Expensify Reviews

Ask Expensify a Question
Showing 1,587 Expensify reviews
Expensify review by User in Information Technology and Services
View Original

"Unbelievably easy to submit and organize expenses"

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Expensify
Expensify review by Sean Carlos F.
Sean Carlos F.

"Go in and tinker around with the app at first"

What Expense Management solution do you use?

Expensify review by Colin M.
Colin M.

"If you need to track expenses you need Expensify"

What do you like best?

Ease of use; makes great job of scanning receipts and extracting results. Haven't seen anything come close to this. Most I just photograph receipts on the smartphone, but also use scanner in the office. Rarely have to do much manually.

The ability to bill or claim mileage by entering map details is a real timesaver.

What do you dislike?

Still missing some UK bank accounts, but otherwise no real complaints. Expensify is one of those products that seems to anticipate what you need rather than leaving you with the sense that there are features missing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you spend more than half an hour a week sorting your expenses, just get Expensify. For businesses with a number of reps, Expensify will pay for itself in no time. Simplifies the approval process and lots of reporting options to keep everyone happy - from management to the accountant.

Expensify takes the pain out of managing expenses. Friday afternoons used to be dedicated to sorting out dozens of receipts and messing around with credit card statements. Now everything is done as it happens and expense reports are generated straight from Expensify.

Expensify review by Nicole D.
Nicole D.

"Expensify changed the game for our event production office"

What do you like best?

Being able to quickly code and pair receipts with expenses

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it takes several days for the expenses to appear in Expensify or when you export a report into a pdf, the receipts can end up out of order.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do a comprehensive all staff training. It's fairly simple at a company where people are used to similar platforms but if your staff is not used to this type of program, it will take them a while to catch up without through instruction.

We used to waste so much time manually taping down receipts to paper, scanning them into the computer, manually typing out each expense in excel and organizing the receipts into the correct order in PDF. The amount of total overall time this site has saved us is the billing process is immeasurable. Not only is a relief for our employees but also allows us to provide a more efficient turn around time on bills to clients.

Expensify review by Kaaveh A.
Kaaveh A.

"Super Simple Expense Tracker"

What do you like best?

I love that I can take a picture of a receipt, and the software automatically figured out the vendor, date, price, etc., and it’s saved automatically in the cloud.

What do you dislike?

I wish that you got more free scans per month, but when you run out, you can still manually input the relevant information yourself off the receipt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you’re going through hundred of receipts a month, the paid subscription a definitely worth it. If it’s just a dozen or so, you can get by without the paid subscription.

The fact that I no longer have to save receipts makes things so much easier for me. As soon as I get a receipt, I can simply take a picture and throw the receipt away. It may seem like a small thing, but if you’ve ever had to go through a pile of receipts, or worse, lost a valuable receipt, you can appreciate the ability to just immediately file the receipt digitally via your phone’s camera and never have to worry about losing receipts or being overwhelmed with a pile of receipts ever again.

Expensify review by Nick R.
Nick R.

"Nice interface but not very intuitive"

What do you like best?

I like how you are able to see a simple history of all the different reports you have submitted and which expense policy they fall under. I also like that you can have the app on your phone to submit expenses without opening your laptop. Dragging the receipts into the webpage is also pretty simple. I also like the interface a lot.

What do you dislike?

Figuring out how to submit an expense and report isn’t very intuitive. We actually have to have training sessions at my company. Sometimes the app isn’t easy to use in that you have to log into your account and I store my passwords on my work computer. Also, I don’t like that it tries to figure out how much you want to be reimbursed for by auto selecting amounts it finds on your receipts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely make use of the different policy abilities. You can then easily categorize the types of expenses for your company by distinguishing them between the different policy types. Also take advantage of the ability to set automatic approvers. This will help you organize how you handle the approvers.

We are able to keep track of all our company’s expenses in a central location. A strong benefit is the approval abilities. You can automatically send certain types of expenses to different approvers.

Expensify review by Jade C.
Jade C.

"Meets all the basic needs and saves a ton of time"

What do you like best?

I don't have to chase staff down they just click and they are done. It makes it way more likely that all the paperwork gets done. The staff are responsible for taking a picture and submitting clear details. I don't have huge files of flimsy receipts anymore.

What do you dislike?

Hard to deal with receipt for both business and personal. I was amazed at the verified system but then I found out it was Amazon’s Mechanical Turk not an AI so it was hard to think of my data being seen by others . i wish that we could put per diam caps on the expenses automatically then I could just left the system approve anything under the ca and worry only about the unique or special requests.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop sorting awkward receipts and guessing at missing expenses, have the details sent directly to your accounting system. Just approve and take a the time you save for another task, or maybe a cup of coffee!

Staff loosing receipts! I really like that the staff do all the work and I just review and approve. This system saves me a lot of time and frustration. Really the most useful is that it goes right in the system so I have way less time used up with data entry or tracking a receipt down if i need to clarify something even a year later. It's all right there in my system on the same day submitted under the employee expenses.

Expensify review by Dan W.
Dan W.

"Expensify - sometimes annoying but mostly good"

What do you like best?

Easy to use to report expenses, software makes it simple for employee and employer alike to track expenses

What do you dislike?

Not fully customizable - some of the 'learning' api stuff doesn't work as well as it should.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it - it works, employee and employer loves it. Receipt capturing from smart phones, emails etc. work pretty well and even manually entering in receipts isn't difficult. Utilizing the features to automate certain expense items works fairly well but you can't do it for everything which is the most frustrating part. Occasional updates to the software have made some minor changes that at first are a bit annoying but after a while become no big deal. The auto reading receipt feature is still a bit slow but does work eventually. In the end if you need something that will integrate with other programs and applications in the business infrastructure you have this fits the bill and solves many problems and help everyone keep track of their expenses as well as keeps you on the right track when it comes to IRS / government compliance laws. This is really the best software to use.

simplifying expenses and making it easy to use.

Expensify review by Michelle S.
Michelle S.

"Track Expenses On The Go"

What do you like best?

Using this app makes it easy to keep track of business expenses on the go. I love that I can access the app on my phone, I always have my phone with me. . I also love that I can take photos and Expensify does the work for me. This feature is called SmartScan. It is easy to edit and save expenses. I create categories that make sense for me and my needs.

What do you dislike?

The drawback is that using SmartScan to upload expenses costs extra, after the 3 free per month. In addition, it can take a while for the app to identify scanned expenses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is great for small businesses or independent contractors. You can make this work for minimal cost. There are additional features that add functionality, for a fee.

Using this app makes it easy to keep track of business expenses on the go. This way I do not have to back track and find time to add them later. Logging expenses after the fact can be time consuming and tedious.

Expensify review by Samantha N.
Samantha N.

"Better than our old system"

What do you like best?

Expensify takes away a lot of the hassle of manual expense reporting. I LOVE that they are mobile, so I can snap receipts as I travel and don't get behind on muni reports. I also like the smart scan feature that allows me to quickly snap a photo and then it pretty much takes care of the rest. Has made my life much easier with business travel.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the structure of reports and how you have to submit the expenses. It's a bit confusing and not very user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like things that are easy to use and understand, Expensify is your best bet for this kind of software.

Saves on time especially when traveling for business. It also helps me not lose track of expenses that I might otherwise never get reimbursed for.

Expensify review by Ogbonna S.
Ogbonna S.

"My scope of Expensify"

What do you like best?

When working properly, it easily brings account codes, jobs and copies of receipts into accounting software. It links to various credit cards with the paid version for easy reconciliations. The biggest benefit for my application was having the individual card users coding and providing backup for their transactions

What do you dislike?

There is no help with initial setup or training, which would likely reduce all subsequent problems. Even for an accounting firm who wants to implement the software to a number of clients, there is no personal help. There are constant issues with the credit card links and the sync needs to be manually updated to reconnect

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its good to use expensify because it have helped me a lot

Expensify offers multi-currency capability, with the product supporting over 160 currencies. For those that wish to manage travel expenses, Expensify offers easy integration with top travel applications

Expensify review by Kelly C.
Kelly C.

"Covers the basics and easy to integrate"

What do you like best?

The app makes tracking receipts simple..

What do you dislike?

Admin portal can be clunky (# of clicks)

Recommendations to others considering the product

This became easy for us to use in multiple global offices that all have their own policies. Being able to segment different groups is really helpful overall. Depending on your policy, there is an auto submit feature which is great for those that have to submit on a scheduled basis without a lot of employee interaction. Being able to photograph receipts on the app is very helpful (we've had to talk to our staff about quality of those though). Additionally, receipts can be forwarded from their email and dropped directly in to the system without having to upload them separately. The currency conversions are okay, most of our team uses the integration with their credit cards as those tend to be much more accurate (we find that Expensify is usually lower for the countries we frequent). They've recently changed their policy on the charges for the business plan where it is not a "pay as you consume" at a single price. To continue on that plan, the single price is much higher. When reports are extremely variable, that is a little harder to determine, but it can be updated. For those that print or save copies of the reports, there are easy ways to download them and keep them externally.

Consolidate place to report expenses over multiple currencies with offices around the world.

Expensify review by Bakhtawar A.
Bakhtawar A.

"Great Software – I was able to save 30% of expenses!"

What do you like best?

Expensify is very easy to use. The initial set up part hardly takes up any of your time and you can start off right away. Even understanding the software isn’t difficult. Online support is also available for your help but I have never had a need to contact the technical team. Pricing is also very effective and can be afforded by small companies as well.

What do you dislike?

The only problem I’ve had with this software is that I think Expensify doesn’t integrate well into different applications. Along with this, I think the reporting even needs to be improved to have a better picture of company expenses for an admin

Recommendations to others considering the product

YES! Just with this software, I was able to save 30% of my expenses. This is huge. Therefore, I would recommend this software to others so they can even reap the benefits of this software.

Expensify is one of the best software I use daily in my corporate life. As I travel a lot because of my work nature, Expensify is the only software which manages and keeps a track of my expenses. The company gives me a budget as my Travelling Allowance and Expensify ensures that my expenses are kept well under the budget. I can scan my receipts and maintain separate records of my expenses.

Expensify review by Steven K.
Steven K.

"Enormous Time Saver!"

What do you like best?

Smart Scanning! Expensify will allow you to download an app on your phone, take a picture of a receipt and it will smart scan the receipt and fill out all the details. It saves an image of the receipt, and then auto fills all the fields for Vendor, Dates, Amounts etc. You can can save rules so it know what vendors should be categorized into which codes. You can add whatever Tags and Categories you need to. It also allows you to download customized csv files so that you can get exactly the information you need and in the order that you prefer.

What do you dislike?

Splitting expenses in the software can sometime be confusing. When splitting an expense in half for example it will then notify you that you may have a duplicate expense because you have two expenses that are the same amount. The software should know that i just split the expense so its not a duplicate and I don't need to go in an tell it to ignore. Also they used to offer a feature called SmartReports which would allow you to submit your expense report and they would format it to your companies expense report. They recently removed that feature which I think was very popular.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! You won't be sorry. Great Support if you have questions .Your employees that do expense reports will thank you for implementing this software.

Expense reports are no longer a time drain. I can get them done super quick by smart scanning the receipts and then just checking the expenses when I get back to the office. I also don't have to save the receipts or worry about losing them because once I take a picture they are in my account. I can print off a PDF files provided by expensify once I am ready to generate my report. Such a huge time saver.

Expensify review by Lukesh S.
Lukesh S.

"Decent Expense Tracking Service"

What do you like best?

Several well-thought-out workflow enhancements make Expensify easy to use, from automated reimbursements to GPS mileage capture.

What do you dislike?

It takes a little while to get the hang of its user interface. The split function doesn't work that well or is not easy to use

Recommendations to others considering the product

Expensify is a great tool for tracking business expenses, miles traveled and time spent on a specific project that can be invoiced later. You can tag transactions to be reimbursed, and both credit card and bank accounts can be directly integrated with this mobile app, giving you the flexibility to track all financial activity from your mobile device.

As I am in Small organization this is an excellent expense reporting software product which will easily allow you to go 100% paperless. All receipts are uploaded digitally and you can take photos of receipts on your phone and upload them onto the app (which is a great app). Once submitted, the routing is very nice and you can track the progress and make modifications if it is kicked back to you. I am in consultant role so I have to apply for reimbursements almost on daily basis.

Expensify review by Julie-ann P.
Julie-ann P.

"Pretty good, but also frustrating"

What do you like best?

When our card holders are able to look up and complete their expenses on their own.

What do you dislike?

Settings not all intuitive, some cause unintended problems that we don't find until later. Support takes too long to respond and often doesn't look at the full question - therefore the answers are not applicable. Bank feed goes down way too often. This causes problems that spill over into other parts of the workflow and data quality generated. In case of user errors, it's often not possible to correct at the admin level. This means more delay and handholding. These problems are not all caused by the user, so it's not just a matter of added training. Some problems can be side effects of bank feed delays and other issues that are controlled by the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into other options, and do a trial of anything you are considering before you commit.

Getting card expense information into our accounting file more easily than by hand. Gathering information from users with less handholding. Reduced time and errors due to less manual data entry.

There really isn't any more to say, the word count requirement on the review is too high. I'm adding this because it appears that I can't claim my reward without adding more words. I don't even know how many words are needed so now I'm just making stuff up and watching the guage so it's clear when

Expensify review by Kevin S.
Kevin S.

"Expensify simplified expense reports in an incredible way"

What do you like best?

The best part of expensify is the App. The immediacy of entering in receipts and expenses has saved me so much time. Instead of putting together a report at the end of each month, I can do it as I go and simply enter it in at the end of the month. Before, I was essentially creating expense reports from scracth and having to write info on bank statement PDFs. This is much more efficient and user friendly.

What do you dislike?

There seems to be a long lag from when I capture a receipt to when the app enters in the information automatically. I end up entering info manually more than I would like because I fear that the app will not capture the information. This means I'm hanging on to receipts longer than I intended. Though this is only a minor dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wonder if there is a way for the email forwarding feature to incorporate other email addresses. I have a different email for my amazon account than I do for expensify. I end up forwarding my amazon receipts to my business email and then forwarding them to expensify receipt email forwarders. If expensify could have a space to enter in "other approved email addresses" in your account, then I would be able to send receipts directly from my other email address to expensify.

Time management is the biggest problem being solved. The benefit of having more time for other, more important work is huge.

Expensify review by Gabriella S.
Gabriella S.

"Expensify Review"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to do expense reports remotely. Expense reports are difficult because so many people are involved, and at a company like mine, where employees are spread across the country, Expensify is a great way to bring everyone together in a centralized location for expense reports.

What do you dislike?

I do not love the automatic submissions of expense reports. I wish that these added a notification feature so that you were alerted before the reports were submitted. Some of my reports have been submitted without me completing the fields that need to be filled out. I wish I would have been notified 'your report will be submitted for approval in 24 hours - please make any required updates now.'

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend Expensify if you use Quick Books or have remote employees and need a great way to keep the reports organized!

Expensify is great because it works in combination with QuickBooks, and allows so much for categorization. We have a lot of categories that need to be filled out for expenses, and this allows us to keep them all organized, and easily export the reports.

Expensify review by Jaffar K.
Jaffar K.

"Reduce your costsa dn expenses!"

What do you like best?

I really like the software. The features are amazing. It offers you a free version and an upgraded version as well which is not that expensive. If people think buying a premium or a business plan is expensive, everything is recovered back once we start using this software to manage our expenses. Great interface. Easy to set up. Excellent customer support team. No as such major problems. Praise and only praise!

What do you dislike?

As I am in the oil business with operations throughout the country, I am constantly travelling. For this reason I use the Expensify Mobile Application but unfortunately, I have felt that the mobile application crashes when I tend to use it for a long time. It just shuts down. Other than this, I don;t think I have any problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Who wouldn't want to reduce their expenses! Expensify is a solution to all your expense management needs. Must buy!

Expensify has saved me a lot of time and money. All I do is scan my expense receipts and everything is recorded in my expense manager dashboard. Along with this, I even like the reporting and analysis by Expensify. In this way, I can manage my expenses and ensure that I don't waste it the next time. I travel a lot due to my work and Expensify is the perfect software to reduce my expenses and costs.

Expensify review by Pardeep M.
Pardeep M.

"An amazing expenses management tool for corporate entities"

What do you like best?

Expensify offers a free trial before purchasing the software. I think one of the best features of this software is that the software is cloud based and is even accessible from Android and iOS. This makes my life easier when I use Expensify from different phones. While writing this review, I have to thank the Support team first. They have been of excellent help throught the installing and running of this software. Moreover, there are Webinars and Live Online videos available as well so one can even take help from there.

What do you dislike?

I think the price of the software is a bit too much for someone in the corporate sector. A starting price of $9 / active user / month is on the higher side and makes it difficult for a small company or enterprise to afford this amount as a fixed cost. Price should be reduced

Recommendations to others considering the product

Surely, I would recommend this software to all corporate companies as this will only help in better managing your expenses thus reducing your costs from all fronts

Expensify has solved a lot of my business problems.Working in a team has been made so easy. Additional features of Invoice Management, Spending control and time tracking has made my business keep a track of my expenses efficiently. Along with this, I even have an option of scanning a receipt which Expensify can then insert in its relevant fields instead of inserting all details myself saving me a lot of time and effort. Easy to use and excellent software!

Expensify review by Sara V.
Sara V.

"Better options out there"

What do you like best?

They give you a very good trial period, so you have plenty of time to figure out if this app is for you or not. You have to complete several steps, and after each step you earn more days on your trial. Mine ended up being over 30days.

What do you dislike?

The application is not very user friendly. If you are new to electronic receipt and expense tracking this may not be the best place to start (especially if you are syncing with software like QuickBooks). They only have limited information/training online. And help is only available via email. I’m sure this is one of their ways to keep costs low, but it is very unhelpful to the consumer. I sent an easy (I thought) question to them and 3 days later I received a 1 line response.... asking me a question about my account that had nothing to do with the original concern.

Electronic receipt tracking and expense reimbursements. Not many benefits that I’ve been able to find. Other apps do the same thing, only better.

Expensify review by Kathleen A.
Kathleen A.

"Great app to track business expenses, hours & mileage"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to track business expenses by uploading receipts or entering transactions manually, tracking hours and even mileage.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the upgraded version is missing some of the features that are in the free version. Customer service told me that they no longer support time tracking and recommended TSheets. I later figured out that downgrading to the free version brought back that feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great app to track all business expenses, miles & time in one place.

The benefits I found using Expensify are that tracking my expenses, time and mileage are a lot easier. I can track from anywhere and create reports to file taxes easier at the end of the year or locate saved receipts if ever needed.

Expensify review by John G.
John G.

"Excellent credit card reporting tool"

What do you like best?

Expensify made life so much easier by allowing us to easily code each credit card expense to a specific set of accounting code that was unique to each person.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Implementation was fairly easy and the support was quick to answer any problems I ran in to.

Our staff of 12 had company credit cards and each month you were required to code each expense to your correct accounting code and that was a pain in the backside. Either you had already forgotten where that particular Amazon item should be charged to or you had to find your list of account codes for those less used ones. By linking our credit card the charges for each person showed up in their app along with a list of their specific accounting codes. Brilliant! Save the individual employees time and save the accounting guy tons of time.

Expensify review by Rob H.
Rob H.

"Expense reports with some ease"

What do you like best?

I like the seamless integration between my bank/cards to pull in transactions and quickly identify transactions which should be expensed. Submitting photos of receipts is also flawless. I love that I can take a picture, submit it and then later login to the account and everything is matched up and ready to roll.

What do you dislike?

There have been times where automatic policies have been generated and it's messed up a number of reports, which required me to delete the account and then re-open an account. Support is fairly easy to reach by message but there's no way to speak to someone to walk through any processes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This blows away Concur from a frustration standpoint.

The most obvious is a uniform and clean expense report across all users. Quickly and properly coding transactions as they should be.

Expensify review by Abigail S.
Abigail S.

"Positive and efficient experience using Expensify"

What do you like best?

I loved the mobile app! It was very user friendly and modern looking. It also made my life much more convenient. It is so hard to save physical receipts; thus, I really enjoyed the fact that it was able to save the photos on the mobile app that I took and store them in a folder until I was ready to link them to a specific line item expense. I also loved when it told me there was an error with my expense report. It was a great feature to have and like another set of eyes looking and double checking my work before my supervisor saw it.

What do you dislike?

I disliked how when it synced with my American Express account I had doubles of purchases and always had to delete one, but that may be an American Express issue not Expensify, I am not sure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest that teams and companies create their own step-by-step guide for employees as Expensify has a lot of features to it. Making a guide that is specific for your employee's needs will be very helpful for troubleshoot the app and features and ensuring all employees are on the same page. Expensify is very helpful for companies with traveling employees.

So much easier to submit expense reports. As a traveling consultant it is easy to lose receipts on the go or on the road, so this made it easier keeping an electronic record of purchases.

Expensify review by Blake E.
Blake E.

"Luke warm reception for this product"

What do you like best?

I like how it makes it easy to upload receipts, no need for spreadsheets etc.

What do you dislike?

I find the workflow a bit confusing. You login, create a new report, upload receipts, and then submitting an expense report shows the status as 'closed' - the first time I emailed our office manager to see what I did wrong, since to me, closed indicates it's done but not a positive outcome - like closing an open job req.

It didn't give me any idea that I had submitted my expense report correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore all options before settling. It seems like there's other stuff out there that has a better UI than this.

Centralized platform for managing expense reports within the company - makes it easy for me to see past expenses that have been submitted and reimbursed, along with receipts. Much easier than going through sent emails, or looking in desktop folders for bills and receipts.

Expensify review by Danny H.
Danny H.

"Expensify - Easy to use and very convenient"

What do you like best?

I really like the feature of scanning receipt directly by taking photo of the receipt from the phone and add to a expense report quickly. The smart scan feature quickly determine the information you need to input to the expense receipts and report, this feature save me a lot of time and effort especially I need to work on over 20 expenses every other month. After the receipts are added successfully by sending email to the Expensify email, it will add them to the latest open report automatically.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular, most of the features that are required to manage expense reports are readily available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is definitely the right app/software to go with for managing expense reports.

Difficulty in managing expenses and keeping track of reimbursement from the company. With Expensify, I can easily manage my expense report in one location, there is no need of other spreadsheet or approval. With the email auto approval, my manager gets an email notification requesting approval for my expense report. And I can keep track of all my expenses and reports, with the app on my phone, I also get notification when I am reimbursed.

Expensify review by Erika D.
Erika D.

"Easy way to track spending "

What do you like best?

having the Expensify app has eliminated my need to carry around receipts during trade shows and company trips. I just snap a picture of the receipt, fill in some expense info, and at the end of the trip I submit my report.

What do you dislike?

The only thing i dislike is that it takes a few days for money to hit my account once I’ve selected to initiate reimbursements. Honestly this isn’t much of a big deal because most apps that deal with fund transfers do the same thing.

I’m not missing out on money because I’m able to efficiently track my spending and log receipts as I go. I can view past reports, create PDFs, and view my company’s expense policy all from my phone.

Expensify review by Kyle W.
Kyle W.

"Very Solid User Interface"

What do you like best?

Its relatively easy to use with a straight forward interface. Very clean and easy way to have an organization track and process expenses.

What do you dislike?

There could be some better training and how to guides. While the interface is great and straightforward, there are some things you just have to ask other users with more knowledge of to know how to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend, easy to use and an app that is so simple to just download and use on any phone (iPhone or android) - this makes it great for your employees ease of use.

Tracking and processing expenses has been streamlined using this product. And it really makes it easy to go back and check on previous expenses, grouping what is unnecessary and addressing/updating expense policy for the organization I work for.

Expensify review by Huda K.
Huda K.

"Easily track your expenses and save money"

What do you like best?

I just love this application. Everything about this application is amazing! The quality support team is excellent and is ready to help at all times. One amazing feature about this application is that you cn scan your documents or expense bills and even get great insights on the overall expenses. The analytics of this software are just too good. The scanning reduces manual entry to almost nil

What do you dislike?

I've suffered a few problems with the credit card links and then it needs to be manually updated to reconnect which sometimes can get annoying as the data gets lost. The software even changes frequently making it a nuisance to some people

Recommendations to others considering the product

An application especially recommended for small and medium scale enterprises to help better manage their expenses. Can't afford to not have it. Trust me, not having this application is a cost itself

I have immensely benefited from this software. With Expensify, I am better able to manage my expenses through which I can choose which expenses to avoid or reduce. The detailed analysis / report by Expensify is quite helpful and can help you identify your expenses which should be completely eradicated. Being a corporate Manager at a huge accounting firm, I have to give a reason for my every expense and Expensify helps me a lot in avoiding confusion and questions! Must have

Expensify review by Paula X. S.
Paula X. S.

"Easiest Way to Submit Expense Reports"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, great simple UI. You can easily add receipts or scan directly using the mobile app. You can tie your account in to Lyft Business, which makes reporting transportation expenses so much easier. My company switched to Concur for a little while then we switched back to expensify because we liked it so much better. I travel outside the U.S. and a lot of my expenses and receipts are in Pesos, Expensify does a good job handling currency exchanges. I love getting mail notifications when my reports are approved and when my money is being processed and on its way into my account. Connecting my Expensify to my bank account was very easy and now I get direct deposit.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes some fields auto populate and I have a hard time overriding them. Mobile app is slow sometimes. Mostly it's a great product though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it, It's great!

We use it to track all of our expenses, submit reports for reimbursements and keeping track of billable expenses. We have offices around the globe and expensive allows our accounting department to keep tabs and approve all expenses across all offices.

Expensify review by Yadira V.
Yadira V.

"Great for tracking expenses!"

What do you like best?

I love that it stores all our expenses in one place. This makes it easy to track budgets that we have in place for specific reasons. It is also very easy to use so I am able to have one of my team members log all of my expenses.

What do you dislike?

I don't love the app. I think there are some kinks that could be worked out on! After you attach the receipt it does not let you fill all of the fields, so I have to go into a desktop to finish it.

Our organization has been able to organize and track every purchase made with our corporate cards. We can also view how much we have spent for specific budgets since we are able to categorize each expense.

Expensify review by Kerry K.
Kerry K.

"Great Tool for Travel"

What do you like best?

The Smart Scanning makes it so easy to add receipts to the app and then I can group them by trip for ease of submitting them to finance for reimbursement.

What do you dislike?

They seem to be very tricky in trying to get you to pay for a subscription. Two times now, I've had to pay their monthly fee and I'm generally pretty observant when clicking on "trying out features" and things like that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Reports function of the app is not as refined as I think it should be. It seems tougher than it should be to add expenses to the appropriate report.

We're able to submit expenses in an easy to read report and not have to keep track of paper receipts or print out emailed copies.

Expensify review by Ingrid K.
Ingrid K.

"Expensify makes life easier."

What do you like best?

If I had to choose one feature - the simple act of being able to take pictures of receipts with my phone for collection is the best and most useful part of Expensify. SmartScan is a super added bonus that just adds so much depth to the usefulness of Expensify.

What do you dislike?

I'm a little uncertain about the new pricing scale (significantly less expensive annual contracts or more expensive month-to-month subscription). We're a fairly small company and headcount fluctuates so it was a little unnerving deciding the number of annual subscriptions to set up but then again, it's now structured more like other large-scale products so we will get used to it. Regardless, for the cost, it's so worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I came from a large corporation where my team got together monthly to put together our receipts, tape them to paper, and scan them to our email to be sent and filed by the finance department. Can you say stone age?! THIS IS SO MUCH EASIER. Your admins and team will thank you for the time they'll get back from the days of manual expense reporting!

We use Expensify internally between three subsidiaries and it's been such a work-hack. Everyone loves using Expensify and our new-hires are amazed at the ease of use. I also use Expensify with our consultants, contractors, and accountants. I appreciate how much work is all in one place. It makes expenses and reporting so easy.

Expensify review by Tim B.
Tim B.

"Great When it Works"

What do you like best?

SmartScan (when it works) makes scanning receipts and entering expenses a breeze. You can simply take a photo of the receipt, enter a couple expense details, and you're done - very simple.

What do you dislike?

SmartScan seems to be a bit flaky at times - it doesn't always work. When this happens, users will often get duplicate entries of their expense (one that feeds in from the card-issuing bank and one from the user created entry).

Support can be difficult due to their exclusively online communication (no phone support available). This means getting the answers you need can be difficult and will take much longer than it should.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When the product works, it's really great. However, it doesn't always work for some users.

Be prepared for email and chat support with delays in emails that may cause implementation or future issues to drag on.

Expensify make capturing and reporting expenses simple and easy. Once expense reports are submitted, transactions can be easily exported to Excel for reconciliation and import into an accounting package.

Expensify review by Emma M.
Emma M.

"Easy and Convenient! "

What do you like best?

I love the Expensify app! I use it every time I travel for work and it has made expensing my travel such an easy task. The app is so user friendly and I would recommend it to anyone to travels regularly for work and May to expense anything.

What do you dislike?

The app took a little while to learn but after I got the hang of things it went great! Aside from that I’ve always had a great experience using the app.

With expensify I can expense my travel costs when needed for my business trips. The app also is compatible with Lyft and sends my expense receipts straight to my app from my Lyft business profile, it’s amazing!

Expensify review by Sebastian W.
Sebastian W.

"Fun way of doing your expenses"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use Expensify! You simply upload your receipt, and they automatically scan most of the details. Sometimes it's not 100% accurate, but it's faster to correct them than filing everything in. Also, the fact that everything is stored online, my manager receives and approves my report, makes it so much easier than the old-fashioned way.

The communication of the platform is excellent and it will even remind you when you need to finalize some expenses.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, I wish I could add some extra fields to it myself to explain a bit more on the expenses that I made. I now send a separate email with more background info to my manager if necessary.

Also, sometimes I feel that I receive a lot of emails from expensify. I would like to only receive the big updates by email and rest on the site itself... or at least to have that option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend every company (big or small) to use it. Doing expenses the old-fashioned way is just really a pain; you can loose your receipts, it's much work, you need to print out stuff. This solution is environmental friendly, has everything in the cloud, clear communication and works super fast!

It solved a lot of the backoffice within our company. Especially, I believe its a life savor for my manager to approve reports within minutes instead of hours and have everything automized. We're not using it for travel, etc thus far; maybe in the future.

Expensify review by Sabah A.
Sabah A.

"Best Software Assistant - user friendly mobile app (no more scanning ) & Smart Scan capability "

What do you like best?

User friendly mobile app ( no more piles of paper and collecting receipts), Automatic Reporting & Submitting ( never miss a deadline, as the system auto uploads at the end of the month) , Real-time Expense Reports, Duplicate Expense Detection ( helps prevent human error), giving an easy portal and visibility to all expense in one place, and the final report breaks down expenses in categories that are overall the exact categories we have.

What do you dislike?

-Customer support ( chat support only)

-System down for repairs.

- Sometimes it automatically creates a Report & it's difficult to delete reports when they've been automatically created ( sometimes it puts each expense into it's own report)

-At times, the receipt photos are glitch and matching them to the phone app is at times difficult.

- Renaming / deleting / editing report titles or detaching expenses usually creates issues which are unpredictable

Recommendations to others considering the product

faster OCR smart scanner, and fix report creating abilities ( computer vs app)

Using a platform to allow seamless submission expenses and reimbursements in the financial industry. Overall it is easy to use ( if you do not use all the custom options), without a doubt a time saver, it learns categorization patterns which makes it easier to quickly input future expenses more efficiently. Big plus is that it is simple to track and assign expenses to different categories.

Expensify review by Sharon M.
Sharon M.

"Easy tool for keeping up with expense reporting"

What do you like best?

Great time saver. Love being able to throw out receipts once they are scanned. Mobile and PC apps are both great. Ability to snap a cell pic of a receipt and have it scan and read info accurately (when it's working) is terrific. Ability to indicate whether expense is billable and/or reimbursable is great. Ability to create map image to verify mileage is terrific. Being able to create reports for any purpose I have needed is great - all expenses to charge back to project/client, all expenses reimbursable by month, etc.

What do you dislike?

Smart scanning function can be glitchy. Map function does not include tolls - it would be terrific if it did.

As a project manager with numerous expenses to organize over weeks at a time, this is a great tool for our team that makes submitting receipts with expense statements to our clients more accurate, neater, and much easier. As an Account Manager, creating reports for reimbursable expenses and to help balance credit card statements has never been easier for me or better for our company

Expensify review by Curtis G.
Curtis G.

"Love it. Better than Bill.com and I am now fully digital for expense reporting"

What do you like best?

Expensify has a free version that works perfectly. I use the mobile app on my iPhone mostly but they also offer a browser based option to login and it connects seamlessly to the same account as the mobile app. When I travel the app is great for taking photos of receipts and tracking your expenses on the go. It's important to note, you can attach photos of your receipts using the app or you can also import from your camera roll too. Plus the app has an auto identify feature (optional) that will read the photo of your receipts and auto assign details to your expense reports via it's screen reader. You can set categories like travel expenses, meals, lodging, plus mileage, and other options. I love not having to keep my wallet, bag, or pocket full of receipts anymore. I just snap a photo of them and throw them in the recycling. Plus it makes doing your taxes and end of year stuff a lot easier if you create reports for all of those receipts throughout the year. They have some paid options like exporting and using with other tax and finance tools, but you can save as PDFs for free.

What do you dislike?

There are some things in the mobile app that are a little clunky like the keyboard is always on the screen taking up around 1/3 of the screen which is annoying. That should open/close as needed. Plus when you click on create report, even accidentally it just creates a new report with the done button, no back or cancel or undo action to stop that from happening. On the expense tab there isn't an easy way to sort or filter all of the expenses. Also, it would be nice to see them grouped by assigned to reports or unassigned. And the app defaults to INBOX for the initial screen which might be important to some users but isn't really much to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare it in both desktop/browser and mobile app, it's totally free to start using. Plus compare to bill.com and see the difference.

I need a way to keep track of expenses, create expense reports, and manage receipts and reimbursements for travel. Expensify is a great app for that.

Expensify review by Anthony S.
Anthony S.

"Time saving tool for you AND accounting"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of creating reports, snapping pictures of receipts, and then generating these reports for the accounting department. Because I can take pictures of the receipts and enter the data automatically into the expense report (or have the receipt read and entered in by itself), I no longer have to carry around paper receipts and worry about losing/organizing them. The accounting staff really appreciate the reports and the high quality images of the receipts!

What do you dislike?

There is nothing really to dislike. Sometimes, when adding a new receipt, it does not add it to the most recent expense report but creates a new one. This can sometimes be annoying, but it is a small annoyance..

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an easy tool that beats the old fashioned way of carrying around paper receipts and logging expenses in a spreadsheet. Far superior to any other app on the market!

We use Expensify for making travel reimbursements an easy, organized, and simple process.

Expensify review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Seussian Ode to Expensify and its Founder."

What do you like best?

I a Dave. Dave I a. I say, I do not like that Dave I a.

Do you like expense reports?

They Suck, Dave I a. Expense Reports Suck, I say

Would you like them here or there? I would not like them here or there. I would not like them anywhere. Expense Reports Suck , Dave I a.

Would you do them on a train? Would you do them on a plane? I would not do them on a train. I would not do them on a plane. I do not like them here or there. Expense Reports Suck anywhere.

Would you do them on a phone? Would you do them on your own? Try them! Try them! Here they are.

I would not do them on a phone. I would not do them on my own.

You may like them. You will see. You may like them with me.

I would not, could not. You let me be. They Suck, Dave I a. Expense Reports Suck, I say.

Expense Reports Suck. SO you say. Try mine free! Try mine free! And you'll see. Expense reports don't suck.

Dave! If you will let me be, I will try yours. You will see.

Say! Expense reports DON'T suck, Dave I a. Take a photo of a receipt when you get it, this way you won't forget it. Wallet was fat with receipts before, now my butt's no longer sore. Credit card integration is where it's at, makes pulling in expenses a snap. Set up was simple as pie, won't make you stick a fork in your eye. I setup our entire company in thirty minutes, thanks to gmail integration that was in it.

Expense reports DON'T suck, Dave I a. I can do them in a train. I can do them on a plane. I can do them on a phone. I can do them on my own. I can do them here or there. I can do them anywhere.

What do you dislike?

Be careful about duplicate expenses. Submit an expense at the end of the reimbursement period with a receipt that captured on the mobile app, Expensify still pulls in the "receipt" from my Credit Card for the next reimbursement period. (Update on 4.3.2017: Expensify has gotten much better at providing warnings when you have expenses that have might have not been reported via the credit card at the end of the reporting period).

Also, Bitcoin payments, I might say, are a distraction, if I may.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some larger companies may find that the system is not customizable enough to meet their existing processes/policies. I suggest evaluating process/policies to see if they can be changed to use the best practices Expensify has established. The amount time saved entering expense reports may well warrant the process/policy changes.

Operational Cost savings due to expenses being processed through financial system easier and less time creating expense reports by employees. Users are happier because they get reimbursed quicker.

Expensify review by Christina P.
Christina P.

"Expensify is great for one centralized location of recording expenses and spending"

What do you like best?

I like that I can classify each receipt/expense into a specific category and expense report. This makes it super organized and easy to manage when it comes time to calculate my yearly expenses. Also, if I need to go back, I can easily search by category.

What do you dislike?

There is a feature that is an autoscan, where Expensify will retrieve the receipt's information - a lot of the times, it takes a long time and I just end up entering the information manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an easy to use, intuitive program that classifies and organizes all of your expenses into categories and reports, this is perfect! When it comes time to have to look back on expenses, everything is in one place and can be found very easily.

Organization and document management

Expensify review by Rachel B.
Rachel B.

"Expensify 101"

What do you like best?

Expensify offers the capability of a multi-use platform. You can use this product through the mobile phone App or you can use it directly from a computer. Through the mobile phone app, this program allows you to directly take a picture of your receipts and upload. You have the ability to enter in all of the categories for which your expenses belong under and the platform will even auto scan the information on your receipts and import this information into your report at the click of a button. Expensify has a great feature of being able to approve expense reports through an Admin on the account. There is also a feature where you can export all of your information into an Excel Sheet. This Excel sheet will then link a URL to where your receipts are uploaded for your employer to review and approve.

What do you dislike?

When uploading your receipts, if you have not already added in the event that you would like your expenses to fall under, you cannot add a new one directly. You have to add in your event prior to uploading any receipts in order for it to be offered as a choice when you have put in all of the information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a platform to use that is easy to management and allows for a quick method to submitting reports for reimbursements this platform is for you!

This product is great for businesses who handle a lot of reimbursements, its is efficient and allows for employees to be self-sufficient when creating and completing reports.

Expensify review by Ariana R.
Ariana R.

"Does What It Says It Does"

What do you like best?

I like that it allows you to upload your receipts along with the expense report so you can keep track of everything in one place. It shows you the status of the report and lets you know when you'll be reimbursed.

What do you dislike?

There's a lot of re-entering similar information, and honestly takes quite a long time to submit one expense report.

There are a lot of people in our company scattered all around the country. This allows us to all track everything in one place and be reimbursed when necessary. I imagine it must really help the people at HQ who have to keep track of all of the fellow's expenses when we're all over.

Expensify review by Bryan T.
Bryan T.

"I work remotely, so when I travel for work, Expensify makes reimbursements easy"

What do you like best?

It is so easy to use. I work from hoe, so when I do have to travel for work, with the app I can easily snap photos of receipts with my phone and submit right then and there without having to worry about losing receipts or forgetting them.

What do you dislike?

I don't think there is anything that I actively dislike about Expensify, sometimes it can take some time to read the receipts but that is minor when compared against the benefits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Expensify. It makes expense reporting simple and easy.

It allows me to easily build expense reports in real time so that I don't accidentally lose receipts or forgot to include them on the report. Then, once everything is entered, it's easy to submit and makes reimbursements quick and easy.

Expensify review by Lisa R.
Lisa R.

"Easy to use, great for big or small businesses, and great for a consultant tracking expenses"

What do you like best?

Expensify's app is amazing for tracking expenses on the go. The "smart scan" technology means you don't have to do anything other than snap a pic of the receipt and let the concierge/smart scan do it's thing. It takes a while, but they recently improved the system by allowing you to leave the app while it processes. The concierge lets you know when everything's been recorded, so you know you're good to go.

It's also great for tracking mileage, offering several different options (GPS, Odometer, mapping) to make even the crankiest client happy.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could pin an expense to an existing report as you upload it. As it stands, you have to enter the expense and then go back and add it a report. It's not a hard extra step, but, it's annoying.

Having said that, it's great about reminding you when expenses haven't been reported.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is great solution for tracking/categorizing/reviewing/approving expenses in an organization of any size.

I used it as a manager in my last role to track and approve employee reimbursement requests. It was great and easy to use. As a consultant, I know use it to track my own expenses for clients and tax purposes. It's amazing for this purpose and the fact that it's free for a single user is amazing!

Expensify review by Kath F.
Kath F.

"Easy Team Expense Program "

What do you like best?

Expensify is an easy to use app that our company uses to process expenses for all employees. It allows us to create teams so that expenses roll up to the right people, and our employees receive direct deposit payouts once a month. It also integrates with Xero, which we use for finance.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, our employees don't understand the difference between having an expense and submitting a "report." I would love if we could attach expenses to billable projects in Xero, but that is more of a Xero feature than Expensify.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This will definitely save you time and money if you are a small company or are looking to streamline your expense process.

Simply put, keeping track of employee expenses and paying them out! It is so much easier than having things get sent to AP and they just float around until are lost or maybe paid. It streamlines the process.

Expensify review by User

"Just Keeps Getting Better"

What do you like best?

I love expensify! I think this program does exactly what it sets out to do. I have used the program for probably about 4 years and I think its absolutely great! I think that it is very easy to use and I think that its always getting better. There are a couple functions that just work so well. Like the sharing with your accountant function. That to me is just amazing. Its all wrapped up and easy when it comes to the accountant and they can just start working with ease. What I really have liked is the mileage tracker, man that is awesome. The fact that it auto-tracks my mileage is a blessing!

What do you dislike?

Every once and a while the one thing that I don't like is their automatic receipt reader. Over the years it has gotten a lot better, but its never as fast as you really think it should be or want it to be. This is literally my only criticism for this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it over anything else at all costs!

I am trying to solve the problem of holding onto paper receipts. Why would you ever want to hold onto one of those? It's way easier to just use expensify. I use it for my work and my wife uses it for her work. Its one of the easiest tools you can use. It's like doing almost no work. You literally just have to take a picture at times.

Expensify review by Nathan B.
Nathan B.

"great system for claiming expenses - perfect for SMEs and probably for most businesses"

What do you like best?

mobile phone app - it allows a quick photo of a receipt and then reads the information to pre-fill the expense claim

What do you dislike?

it takes minutes to read the information from the photo, so I will often just enter it myself instead... especially if I am on the desktop as it can take 30 seconds for me to type the vendor and amount whereas it can take 5 minutes for expensify. I also would like to see a tax field for GST reporting

Recommendations to others considering the product

check if Expensify has integrations available for your accounting system for greater time savings, may be available via Workato or Zapier.

no more receipts! receipts fade and receipts get lost... now we just take a photo or forward an email to expensify and we know all the information is there ready to add to a report for reimbursement. It is also better for the accountants as they can see the receipts and make corrections from source information.

Learning about Expensify?

* We monitor all Expensify reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
(1,588 reviews)