Expensify

Expensify

120 ratings
1118.810
Compare Watch a Demo
Import expenses directly from a credit card to create free expense reports quickly. Approve reports online and reimburse directly to a checking account with one click.

Expensify Reviews (111 reviews)

• I a Dave. Dave I a. I say, I do not like that Dave I a. Do you like expense reports? They Suck, Dave I a. Expense Reports Suck, I say Would you like them here...Read More
    Avatar 699b516ccb7c52c39a00a5a0b519c525492a57a311ed9ce017bc17b6c1c89a1c
    G2 Crowd User in Internet
  • I was able to set it up myself in minutes. The integration to my AMEX charge card took a couple of minutes. The smart receipt feature is genius. It allows met to take...Read More
    Avatar 699b516ccb7c52c39a00a5a0b519c525492a57a311ed9ce017bc17b6c1c89a1c
    G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
<span data-ue-widget='safe-name' data-safe-name-id='43638'>Jason J.</span> - Expensify Review Author
Validated Review

Its good - real good - but it could be great!

What do you like best?

Simple to use - easily captures a picture of the receipt - simple interface on the iphone

What do you dislike?

1. i have failed to get a single "SmartScan" to work. I tried and tried but it never worked for me. Thats ok - it's super simple to capture the picture and type the data.

2. There doesn't seem to be any intelligent matching of credit card transactions with receipts I manually scanned. My employer (presumably the IRS also) requires a copy of the receipt - the electronic bank info is just a nice to have. It would be nice if Expensify auto-matched the bank transaction with the entered receipt. It would see if a bank transaction with the same price eventually shows up plus or minus 3 days from a manual entry that it would try and auto match those.

3. Biggest complaint is an apparent lack of willingness at Expensify to work with thrid party mileage tracking tools. It's possible that a company whose exclusive focus is on mileage tracking (say MileIQ) does this a little better than Expensify. It could be that people that log expenses with Expensify have other jobs or requirements...

Recommendations to others considering the product

MileIQ is the bomb - but it doesn't integrate with Expensify at all. You need to export your mileage as a PDF or CSV and then upload that to Expensify.

My biggest recommendation to anyone capturing expenses is to do it right there at the meal table when the check is settled. Sure it's a little awkward to pause everyone but it;s a clever way to capture exactly spellings of names if you are horrible with remembering that stuff.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Easily simply and accurately capture routine business related expenses.

<span data-ue-widget='safe-name' data-safe-name-id='37375'>John R.</span> - Expensify Review Author
Validated Review

I don't keep paper receipts anymore

What do you like best?

I recommend Expensify to people all the time. Here's how I use it...

When I'm travelling, or when I purchase something claimable, I have trained myself to take a picture of the receipt with Expensify BEFORE I put the receipt into my pocket. In fact, I often take a picture and then throw away the receipt because I don't need it anymore. I select the appropriate expense report when I take the picture, so it goes immediately into the right location for my expense claim.

Expensify automatically uploads the picture from my iPhone to the Expensify website. I have to be a little careful when I do this while overseas to avoid roaming charges, so I'll often wait until I'm on wifi to do the upload.

At the end of the trip, I open the Expense Report and classify each expense (eg "meals"), add a vendor name and enter the value. (Some of these can be done automatically for me on Expensify, but I actually enjoy doing it myself so I can remember to add tips not shown on the receipt).

I...

What do you dislike?

I'd like to be able to choose whether to upload immediately or wait until I'm on wifi, so that I can lower my roaming data usage when travelling overseas.

I'd like to be able to show "original currency" totals on the summary page rather than converting each line item individually. This is because my finance system that processes the claim will make the decision on currency conversion. I'd just to like show a total figure for "Accommodation - New Zealand Dollars" rather than have it converted to my home currency automatically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free to use most features, but costs money to integrate into your finance system. I highly recommend the free features, since they are all I needed.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I'm simplifying expense claims.

I no longer need to keep paper receipts and my expense claims can be submitted with a minimum of effort.

<span data-ue-widget='safe-name' data-safe-name-id='17460'>Bailey S.</span> - Expensify Review Author
Validated Review

So much easier than scanning receipts!

What do you like best?

Expensify has made my life handling finances so much easier. I used to have to deal with a bunch of employees giving me receipts, some on large paper, some on small paper, and sometimes things would get pushed to the back of my desk or lost in the shuffle.

Now I know exactly who submitted which receipts, and when, so I can reimburse them immediately. I used to have to log into their preferred method of payment (ach wire, dwolla, braintree, paypal, etc.) and send them money through there. I'd have to scan the receipts to file in Dropbox under that employee's folder, then file away the receipts in my tangible expense report folder.

I simply click "approve report," then "reimburse," and select the bank or paypal account I'd like to pull funds from, and I'm done!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it was a bit complicated setting up my own bank account. Since I was an admin of the account, it was impossible to differentiate my personal bank account (to put reimbursement money into from my expenses) from the company bank account (where money is pulled from to reimburse employees).

I changed this by setting up the admin account to be a general support email address at our company, and creating a separate personal account on the plan with my email address. It took me a little while to get that sorted, but everything is great now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give this app a try with a small sample of employees. You'll see that it makes expense reports and reimbursement easy and painless, and doesn't take away from having hard copies of receipts, either. As a policy admin, you can make it a requirement to attach an image of the receipt an employee is submitting a report for reimbursement for.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We no longer have employees scrambling around or losing paper receipts, scanning them, reimbursing through different payment apps, etc. We're saving a lot of time and now have a system in place where admins can view ALL expense reports in a single app.

<span data-ue-widget='safe-name' data-safe-name-id='833'>Will W.</span> - Expensify Review Author

Easiest Expense Reports Ever

What do you like best?

Their Smart Scan feature lets me take an iPhone photo of a receipt and it extracts the dollar value. Then I can easily import the receipt into my expense report. It just works. I find that I get my expense reports done faster and in a more timely manner because it's just so easy. Also, it's easy to see which of my reviews have been approved, which are in the queue... and which expense reports for my staff need my approvals.

What do you dislike?

When I take a Smart Scan photo of the receipt, it tells me that it's processing the image, and sometimes that takes too long. I would like it to recognize the receipt image faster. But that's a small complaint compared to the benefits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

The problem is that most expense report systems I've used in the past have required that I save the receipts during business travel, then enter them all in at a later date. I would write notes on the receipts so I could remember what they were for. Now, I can take an iPhone photo of the receipt immediately and it's in the system. Much easier and more reliable.

Administrator in Consumer Services - Expensify Review Author

Terrible Customer Service

What do you like best?

Pretty solid expense reporting if you have a small business. They make it easy as a user to prepare and submit a report.

What do you dislike?

Their customer service. Takes days to get a response. Syncing with quickbooks doesn't seem to work. Also, they can't prepare a report that looks like the data that you see on the screen. I wanted to simply print all the reports so an older executive could see the reports without having to log in. It's impossible. You can only export reports on a line item basis, not a report basis. So don't try to use expensify to help with AP lists. Ultimately, it's not worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As much as I'm angry with the administrative features and customer service of expensify, they do make expense reports easy to prepare and submit. So if you just need something simple, this could work for you.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

With employees around the world, it's a great idea. I was able to receive consistent reports that all look the same from employees around the world. But again, once they are in expensify, your options are limited so ultimately, just having a corporate spreadsheet would do the same thing and cost less than expensify.

Do you like gift cards?

Amazon 15 69a16135a8a89331fb4401ef8989bb62f6035c175b57816ccd664c30b04b95be

Write your first review today, and we’ll send you a $15 Amazon gift card as a thanks for your time and input.

Review Now

Tags

* We monitor all Expensify reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Would you like to receive more information about Expensify?