Expensify

Expensify

154 ratings
1478.910
Compare Watch a Demo
Import expenses directly from a credit card to create free expense reports quickly with Expensify. Approve reports online and reimburse directly to a checking account with one click.

Expensify Reviews (147 reviews)

• I a Dave. Dave I a. I say, I do not like that Dave I a. Do you like expense reports? They Suck, Dave I a. Expense Reports Suck, I say Would you like them here...Read More
    G2 Crowd User in Internet
  • Their Smart Scan feature lets me take an iPhone photo of a receipt and it extracts the dollar value. Then I can easily import the receipt into my expense report. It...Read More
    0 sldzcmumoiqejfsj7hmfcride3t5udrj7gjfcvrpbxvnks2g3ijnms7 q73u4avau6iq4gdsm wl
    Will W.
G2 Crowd User: Jason J.
Validated Review

Its good - real good - but it could be great!

What do you like best?

Simple to use - easily captures a picture of the receipt - simple interface on the iphone

What do you dislike?

1. i have failed to get a single "SmartScan" to work. I tried and tried but it never worked for me. Thats ok - it's super simple to capture the picture and type the data.

2. There doesn't seem to be any intelligent matching of credit card transactions with receipts I manually scanned. My employer (presumably the IRS also) requires a copy of the receipt - the electronic bank info is just a nice to have. It would be nice if Expensify auto-matched the bank transaction with the entered receipt. It would see if a bank transaction with the same price eventually shows up plus or minus 3 days from a manual entry that it would try and auto match those.

3. Biggest complaint is an apparent lack of willingness at Expensify to work with thrid party mileage tracking tools. It's possible that a company whose exclusive focus is on mileage tracking (say MileIQ) does this a little better than Expensify. It could be that people that log expenses with Expensify have other jobs or requirements...

Recommendations to others considering the product

MileIQ is the bomb - but it doesn't integrate with Expensify at all. You need to export your mileage as a PDF or CSV and then upload that to Expensify.

My biggest recommendation to anyone capturing expenses is to do it right there at the meal table when the check is settled. Sure it's a little awkward to pause everyone but it;s a clever way to capture exactly spellings of names if you are horrible with remembering that stuff.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Easily simply and accurately capture routine business related expenses.

G2 Crowd User: John R.
Validated Review

I don't keep paper receipts anymore

What do you like best?

I recommend Expensify to people all the time. Here's how I use it...

When I'm travelling, or when I purchase something claimable, I have trained myself to take a picture of the receipt with Expensify BEFORE I put the receipt into my pocket. In fact, I often take a picture and then throw away the receipt because I don't need it anymore. I select the appropriate expense report when I take the picture, so it goes immediately into the right location for my expense claim.

Expensify automatically uploads the picture from my iPhone to the Expensify website. I have to be a little careful when I do this while overseas to avoid roaming charges, so I'll often wait until I'm on wifi to do the upload.

At the end of the trip, I open the Expense Report and classify each expense (eg "meals"), add a vendor name and enter the value. (Some of these can be done automatically for me on Expensify, but I actually enjoy doing it myself so I can remember to add tips not shown on the receipt).

I...

What do you dislike?

I'd like to be able to choose whether to upload immediately or wait until I'm on wifi, so that I can lower my roaming data usage when travelling overseas.

I'd like to be able to show "original currency" totals on the summary page rather than converting each line item individually. This is because my finance system that processes the claim will make the decision on currency conversion. I'd just to like show a total figure for "Accommodation - New Zealand Dollars" rather than have it converted to my home currency automatically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free to use most features, but costs money to integrate into your finance system. I highly recommend the free features, since they are all I needed.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I'm simplifying expense claims.

I no longer need to keep paper receipts and my expense claims can be submitted with a minimum of effort.

G2 Crowd User: Paul B.

Amazing Service

What do you like best?

The customer service is great: While I completed a messy convoluted question, Stacie came back, figured out what I was trying to ask, and answered all my questions and then some. I am dealing with another company for POS issues, and they don't answer their email questions it seems. Expensify customer service is amazing.

The whole use of Expensify is great, from the receipt capture, to the smart scan, to the auto-match receipts to the credit card, etc. is great.

What do you dislike?

Not much... If I had to say I'd like to say the report name creator be an option for the team package, instead of just the corporate.

Oh, and Expensify does not sync with Canadian Quickbooks Desktop version. They say this a Canadian QB issue, but I'd love to see them create a work around... it would save a ton of keying to have some type of syncing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You'll be happy after you set it all up.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Lots of expense claims made simple.

Getting credit card info is fantastic, because now it imports automatically, and I can see open reports, and it matches scanned receipts. Before trying to get this was difficult. Now all I have to do is get employees to take a picture of their receipts as they receive them. (What would be even better is if stores would automatically send ereceipts instead of the little paper chits).

G2 Crowd User: Laura J.

Totally awesome

What do you like best?

I've been using Expensify for work for 4 months. I typically have at least 2 receipts to log every day since I do a lot of shopping, online and in person, for the firm. I honestly LOVE Expensify for its ease of use and SmartScan feature. I also like that pictures I take of receipts are double-saved to my photo stream so I can email or text them to other colleagues easily if necessary. I have my own business on the side and have just opened up a second account for that. I put it off this long because I was sure it would cost $15-$20 a month for each user. Imagine my surprise when I found out that a single user account is FREE! I don't know why everyone doesn't use Expensify.

What do you dislike?

I have to go through and detach receipts from the "cash transactions" that automatically load when the SmartScan feature finishes scanning receipts and reattach them to the credit card transactions. I don't find it too cumbersome, but it's something to watch for. I would love it if Expensify automatically merged credit/debit expenses with receipts that match up with the amount and date/time or allowed you to simply approve merges upon logging in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just get the app! You will NOT regret it, especially for the price.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I no longer have to employ an office assistant to enter my receipts for my small business -- a huge savings to me, as I can have her spend time on other more important tasks. For my workplace, I save time by not needing to enter receipts myself. Creating expense reports is also simple and straightforward.

G2 Crowd User: Catherine P.
Validated Review

Expensify has changed my life...and saves me ALOT of money!

What do you like best?

I have already recommended to everyone I know because I can't tell you how Expensify has changed my life. I'm an extremely busy marketing manager - so much so I NEVER take time out to answer questionnaires such as this - but expenses are an integral part of my job; travelling to events, entertaining clients, purchasing all sorts of swag, print and other items on my personal account or corporate credit card. At my last company I used to have to assign the best part of a day every month to process my expenses. It was PAINFUL. In fact it was so painful that many months I didn't bother because I simply didn't have the time. When I left the company, I reckoned up that I had personally incurred in excess of £5,000 that I had never expensed :-(

My new company have Expensify and in my first month I had to do a trip to the US. I downloaded the app and made sure that I captured each receipt as I went, but wasn't quite sure how it worked, I was just learning on the fly! When I got...

What do you dislike?

Absolutely nothing. SmartScan is my new best friend.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it. It is better than old fashioned methods. And it is leagues beyond Concur. You will not regret it!

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

I no longer have to take a day out of my life each month.

I no longer have to fiddle around in spreadsheets, spend hours at the photocopier scanning and emailing back to myself.

My old company did move to Concur near the end of my tenure - it may things marginally better, but the app was fiddly and there was still a lot of manual typing.

The biggest benefit is that I have more time and I am not out of pocket each and every month!

Tags

* We monitor all Expensify reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Would you like to receive more information about Expensify?