ExpressionEngine

ExpressionEngine simplifies the process of managing your site while giving your designers complete creative control.

Work for ExpressionEngine?

Showing 19 ExpressionEngine reviews
ExpressionEngine review by <span>Lauren N.</span>
Lauren N.

Not recommended for Small Business

What do you like best?

The platform is somewhere in the middle of Wordpress and Larger platforms as far as ease of use is concerned.

What do you dislike?

Most page and template changes, as well as cart changes are all code. Costs a lot of money to maintain and update this site. As a non developer I prefer something more user friendly to a non coder. Doing basic marketing functions on this site, like adding Landing pages, banners, pop ups, add-ons, etc are very challenging. Doesn't have a lot of basic stuff built in. Again, can be added but it's all code. Blog posts are hard to customize compared to other platforms I've used. Seems like it's missing a lot of basic stuff for a CMS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you have a website budget in the $20k's + I'd steer clear. It takes a lot of development to set this up and get it running properly. We regret not using Shopify after only 6 months on this, because every change costs more money, and we're still not getting all the features available right out of the box with Shopify. We run another branded website on Shopify so it's easy to compare and contrast the two. EE is such an unknown platform that most people aren't developing integrations for it, so we're very limited in what we can even use as an add on.

Using this with Carthrob to run our eCommerce website.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about ExpressionEngine
ExpressionEngine review by <span>Loren S.</span>
Loren S.

Powerful Content Management System

What do you like best?

ExpressionEngine is very user friendly! It has all the essentials you need for a CMS with zero clutter of junk. This was the first CMS I worked with at my job, which shows you that it was very easy to teach myself the ends and outs of EE.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes creating forms on EE can be cumbersome. I had to have our website developer step in to help in this regard. Also we had to add captchas to our forms to stop spamming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should definitely give EE a chance over WordPress.

We have a great website that is managed by EE. It's also easy on our budget using EE, so that definitely helps our company.

What Web Content Management solution do you use?

ExpressionEngine review by <span>Kristen B.</span>
Kristen B.

A nice alternative CMS

What do you like best?

I have found EE to be highly extendable. We have member-specific content, discussion forums, wikis, and a ratings system (in addition to regular site content) all running on ExpressionEngine.

The support is top notch. We pay for the silver support plan ($49/mo) and it is 100% worth it. The ExpressionEngine support folks are knowledgeable and speedy with their responses. I have never actually expedited a ticket because I know I will have a reply within a few hours by filing a regular ticket.

EE 3 has a more user-friendly interface for site admins (compared to EE 2).

What do you dislike?

There are so many settings that can be customized, sometimes it's difficult to remember where certain settings live. Of course, EE is well documented so it's usually easy to look up the answer (or if all else fails, file a support ticket).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have found EE to be a great alternative for those considering WordPress or Drupal. Take a look at all 3 and consider how customizable you want your installation to be. If you are willing to pay a little extra per month for the EE support plan, it is totally worth it, and the support techs can even help with implementation of premium add-ons, etc.

We wanted something that was more secure and with better support than some of the open source options out there. EE makes it easy for us to run a membership-based site where we can control what content is visible to site members vs. guests.

ExpressionEngine review by <span>Aly N.</span>
Aly N.

No contest—from what I've seen and heard, it's the best.

What do you like best?

Because it's the update and I have the most experience with the new version, I'm going to speak about 3.0—ultimately, it's very user-friendly. Even to people who aren't necessarily on the developer side (like me). The functionality of the program is great, the new Assets feature is wonderful (although there are a few bugs that will eventually be fixed), and it's pretty straightforward.

What do you dislike?

It's sometimes difficult to find things unless you've used the program a few times (thoroughly) before. Every so often, I find myself nosing around through tabs I don't normally go to in order to try to find a space to integrate content. The Assets feature also has some kinks to work out, but overall it's a great version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a chunk of time to just mess around with it and learn it through experience—it can be a little overwhelming at first if you're not a developer, but you'll certainly catch on after using it a bit.

Because I work for a web development company, it's our primary tool for building every site and it's apparently much better than what they used in the past. It's user-friendly enough that everyone can implement changes and content confidently and often without asking for help from any of the dev team.

ExpressionEngine review by <span>Katie H.</span>
Katie H.

ExpressionEngine - The Ultimate CMS

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use ExpressionEngine. I work for a web design agency, but had no background in web design. Our developers were able to bring me up to speed so that I can enter content, create forms, and manage SEO. I am the digital content strategist for the company and I work with the clients to help manage their content and make it appropriate for the CMS.

What do you dislike?

One thing I wish could be improved upon is the user experience once it meets the client. For our team, we understand the backend of EE, but I think clients, who aren't familiar with a content management system, would appreciate a more streamlined backend process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work for a web agency, I would highly recommend considering ExpressionEngine. The community is great and they are very easy and pleasant to work with. ExpressionEngine use to use, even if you've never worked with a content management system before. Hopefully, you have a team of helpful developers around you to walk you through the process!

We build all of our websites with ExpressionEngine. We have used other content management systems, but ExpressionEngine by Ellis Labs is the best we've come across.

ExpressionEngine review by <span>Ben S.</span>
Ben S.

Powerful, flexible, extensible CMS for folks who have outgrown WordPress.

What do you like best?

ExpressionEngine should be evaluated from two perspectives.

DEVELOPMENT

ExpressionEngine is a design- and content-agnostic CMS. What does this mean? Unlike WordPress and some other CMS, ExpressionEngine adapts to your design rather than the reverse. It is template-drive, not theme-driven, and your templates may contain any code you want, including JavaScript, HTML, XML, JSON, etc. It is a powerful tool for developing customized websites without compromising on layout or features. Once you get comfortable with its template and content scheme, you'll be able to develop anything from a ten-page brochureware site to a 1,000 page news aggregator.

CONTENT EDITING

ExpressionEngine offers an intuitive content management experience for users. In our experience, content editors enjoy ExpressionEngine's ease of use, as long as the developer takes the time to set it up correctly.

What do you dislike?

* ExpressionEngine's loyalty to its legacy codebase creates extra work for developers.

* Too much reliance on third-party add-ons to accomplish tasks that are built in to other CMS.

* Updating process is a headache.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This CMS is best suited to higher-budget, custom websites. If you want a template-driven, somewhat generic site that just works, and/or you have a small budget, stick with WordPress or similar software.

On the other hand, if you have a solid budget, clear planning process, and professional design you'd like to implement, ExpressionEngine is a strong contender.

Unsure what's best? Hire a developer to spend a few hours walking your web or marketing team through the software, showing both the development aspects and the content editor's perspective. This is the fastest way to get a sense of ExpressionEngine's value to your business.

As a branding, web design and development shop, Versa Studio has created and supported over 50 ExpressionEngine-driven sites. It's been our go-to CMS for 9 years, our key software for creating sites that support our clients' business goals.

Our clients benefit from ExpressionEngine's ability to adapt to their business goals, as expressed in design, features and content structure.

Learning about ExpressionEngine?

* We monitor all ExpressionEngine reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare ExpressionEngine to Similar Solutions