Extensis Portfolio

Extensis Portfolio

Extensis' digital asset management software solves the problem of managing large collections of files by making file collections searchable and usable. DAM provides tools for finding, organizing, and converting large collections of rich media files.

Work for Extensis Portfolio?

Learning about Extensis?

Extensis Portfolio Reviews

Ask Extensis a Question
Showing 75 Extensis reviews
Extensis review by <span>Tom O.</span>
Tom O.

Portfolio as user and admin

What do you like best?

There are many things I like about Portfolio. When evaluating different DAM solutions we found that Portfolio had the features important to us while fitting our budget. DAM systems can be extremely expensive and prohibitive for small businesses.

Having the ability to maintain our basic folder structure with the 'watched folder' setup was important to us since we had our own system of organization. But other features were even more important—like the ability to map metadata to custom fields and include enclosing folder/file names as keywords, for example.

As a user, I find the QuickFind field with predictive search as well as the more detailed search capabilities quite powerful. For our assets and file naming convention, using QuickFind usually is enough to bring up the selection I need for most searches. But, digging deeper and refining a search is easy and intuitive.

Another feature I find very useful when collecting images for a project is to flag of the images I want to select for download. This collects them in the "Flagged Assets" gallery so you can download them in one zipped file instead of downloading each file individually.

Smart galleries are also very handy since you can add photos from your catalog to a smart gallery by simply adding a keyword or phrase, for example, depending on the field used in the saved query.

And, thinking long-term asset management strategy, scalability is important to consider. Portfolio can grow with your business through add-on module licensing. We recently added the Smart Keyword module which has improved our search efficiency and, for the nerd in me, is actually fun to use.

What do you dislike?

There's one minor user interface issue I've noticed in both the Portfolio 2017 browser and desktop app interface. The default size of the Filtered Fields (right-hand) column is quite narrow. It is about the width of the image thumbnails. I would prefer to have the ability to set my own default column width. Currently, you can drag to expand that column which is good but is not retained at relaunch. That ability may be there and I'm just not aware of it. I have not contacted tech support since it's just a minor annoyance. But, I've always found the Extensis support team to be very helpful and responsive to feature requests

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone has their own requirements for asset management software but, for us, Portfolio as been a good solution allowing for efficient ingesting, keywording, searching, and retrieval of assets.

Having the ability to organize, identify, and share our collection of assets with our staff has enabled us to retrieve images more efficiently. This has improved our productivity and streamlined our workflow for our various marketing projects.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Extensis Portfolio
Extensis review by <span>Robin P.</span>
Robin P.

Best solution for our company, in a crowded field of DAM software options

What do you like best?

Portfolio's search tools are great. The automated tagging tool we added on has made the search tools even more useful by applying useful tags based on photo content without anyone on our team having to spend time manually tagging the images.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were easier/more affordable to access the Portfolio application and server via the cloud, and work remotely using the application and photos catalogued in it. Even when our VPN is working well for other purposes, it's very slow to use Portfolio over the VPN. Also, I wish we could dynamically resize image previews within the application interface. Lastly, occasionally when a search returns a large number of results, after I scroll through the first few dozen results, the result of the result set's preview images fail to load.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The team at Extensis is great to work with. That said, as with any software implementation, make sure you clearly identify your goals and needs so you can compare the fit Portfolio vs. the fit with other DAM products to see which meets your maximum number of goals for a manageable price. I'm not sure whether Portfolio can be used for audio or video files, and while I think there may be a cloud server version different from what we use, it's a whole different feature set and price package, so make sure you know what you're buying.

Our company gathers thousands of images annually, and we need an efficient way to index the images so we can retrieve them to use for marketing purposes at appropriate times. Portfolio cuts the time it takes to find the right image to a fraction of what it would be without the software.

What Digital Asset Management solution do you use?

Extensis review by <span>Anna A.</span>
Anna A.

Wonderful Experience

What do you like best?

What we liked best about the whole experience with Extensis, is the amazing support we have gotten through the whole process of getting everything set up. The documentation of the software is well written and easy to understand. Our main contact person Jeff has been phenomenal with answering any questions we have had.

What do you dislike?

It wasn't as easy to set up the catalog files, and get everything ported over. Though that could be just how we went about using the system. Since we always find a different way to use a software than most.

The business problem's we will be solving is the amount of time it takes to search for a single file in our old system. We can not search for images by file name, or add keywords to get those images to pop up. The other struggle we had were the issues with cross platform's Windows and Mac's have a different naming convention. Some files would end up looking very odd between the two. The benefits that we are realizing is the software is easy to use, we can control and manage user's and all around it will be easier to search for the files.

Extensis review by <span>Cecily W.</span>
Cecily W.

Good for managing photos

What do you like best?

We had 62,000-some digital assets when we installed Portfolio in 2013 - mostly photos. I'd been wrangling photos from multiple sources, and our users had been renaming files so they could record the details of an image. Extensis Portfolio made it easy to assign keywords, captions, and other details. I like being able to quickly create a gallery of images and generate a PDF. I also love the ability to batch rename files - or resize. We recently added the NetPublish feature to add the ability to share galleries with others within our network who don't have access to Portfolio.

What do you dislike?

We now have multiple catalogs (one for marketing photos, one for events, one for archive, one for confidential) and our users want to be able to search across the catalogs. Our users also seem to have problems with search requiring quotes around a name. (Otherwise, a search for John [space] Smith returns all photos tagged with John and all photos tagged with Smith.) I wish that if I chose to move a folder from one catalog to another, it would move the folder itself and not just the assets inside. The zoom is not as clear as the one on Adobe Bridge, so it can be hard to read peoples' name tags, for example, which would be handy for tagging. I have a bad habit of logging in and doing a search, and then closing the browser window and needing to start over, but I don't know how Extensis could fix that. I liked the product better when it had a desktop version - it was easier to link images in InDesign. The web-only option can be frustrating. Lastly, although this is great for photos, I expect there are better products for managing video.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This may not be the most sophisticated product out there. If you're looking for something to manage video, this is probably not the right solution.

We work with photos from across an entire academic health center. Extensis Portfolio helps us find, organize and tag files and is especially helpful when we need to remove a photo from our collection. It's helpful for tagging subjects so we know whether they are a patient, a model, a volunteer, etc. We purchased it to help manage patient photos and releases to make sure we weren't violating HIPAA law.

Extensis review by <span>Minch, Robert M.</span>
Minch, Robert M.

Portfolio in the Enterprise

What do you like best?

What I like best is the way Portfolio makes it easy to catalog items, create web galleries, and manage metadata.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is performance issues that you see when your catalogs get really big (1 million + assets).

Make sure you ask the right questions to the right people at Extensis when you are planning your system. The posted requirements would work fine for a small deployment, but across an enterprise, you will need a consultation to assure you will have a setup to handle your needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework concerning your actual planned usage. Portfolio will requires more resources than you may think, based upon the information easily available. More than a million assets and hundreds of Netpublish sites require serious dedicated hardware. And don't forget storage.

Portfolio allows for our photographers to quickly catalog their images and provide the customer with their finished images quickly, through a Netpublish site. It allows our archivist to add important metadata to images and publish a library of images for use across the enterprise. It allows various groups to provide access to event photos. The best part of this is it eliminates the duplication of images by keeping all of the images centrally located while allowing the images to be used in multiple ways.

Extensis review by <span>Linda P.</span>
Linda P.

Great for backup

What do you like best?

Fast image search and collection. Image download and change. Image gallery sharing via NetPublish. Allows more than 1 catalog. Extensis It is very helpful in answering questions.

What do you dislike?

There is certainly generally not much to be able to dislike - this ABOUTIE does everything you want at a very very good price. Not the most affordable but don't ever typically the most expensive and regarding all of us the biggest benefit for your money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I seriously liked the product when I began. It still meets 80% of our needs but is apparently losing some of its luster. Maybe we are not the group it is being built for. Also the upgrades are pretty powerful time wise. Challenging to keep up with in a municipal corporation.

The item worked real well for everyone (a small internal innovative group). It kept a record of our assets was easy to use from an conclusion customer perspective. It saved the great deal of period of time in finding assets each on disk and DVD AND BLU-RAY. Making utilization of the APIs we were capable to existing property with a key phrases and condition check package prior to the asset was accessible.

Learn more about Extensis Portfolio

Extensis Portfolio Videos

Learning about Extensis Portfolio?

* We monitor all Extensis Portfolio reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.