Extensis Portfolio

Extensis Portfolio

4.0

Extensis' digital asset management software solves the problem of managing large collections of files by making file collections searchable and usable. DAM provides tools for finding, organizing, and converting large collections of rich media files.

Work for Extensis Portfolio?

Learning about Extensis?

Extensis Portfolio Reviews

Ask Extensis a Question
Extensis review by User in Higher Education

"Great for backup, no so great for searching"

What do you like best?

It holds all the photos and design files we need. It helps make them accessible to the whole team as we take on new projects and pick up on older projects. The interface to access the folders it straightforwards and it's not too difficult to find and open the folders you've set up.

What do you dislike?

The search functionality is very difficult and frustrating. It's really important in a large database of files to be able to find what you need. There's multiple ways to search - a generic search and a more advanced search. The generic search doesn't seem to work at all. I literally have thought I was missing files, only to discover them using the same search but in the advanced tab (even without setting any fancy settings). I also really dislike how the application will attempt to autoload a library of images as soon as you login. I often don't need access to the main library but I still need to wait for it to load before I can use the navigation to find and open my folders I'm looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The program has all the features you need. However it struggles to use them effectively and can be clunky and difficult to use. The main issue for me is the search functionality.

It does it's basic job well - holding and storing all the photos we need on a server that can be accessed by my team.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Extensis Portfolio
Showing 79 Extensis reviews
Extensis review by Clare T.
Clare T.

"Extensis Portfolio has been a valuable resource for our corporate archive."

What do you like best?

While the catalog of our repository is updated with library automation software, Portfolio provides a visual representation of our collection that is easily searchable and that can be shared with other departments in our building. I particularly appreciate having the capacity to make batch edits and develop PDF's with selected images. Being able to upload photos in a variety of formats (ex. tif, jpg) to the same space without having to convert the images to the same format increases our work efficiency.

What do you dislike?

I wish that uploading an image involved filling out a form with description and keywords during the asset add rather than doing these things after tracking the image down.

Extensis Portfolio makes it so much easier for the archive to share images/information with other departments in the building. With EP it is possible for my coworkers to interact with the archive while I am away and without submitting a specific request to me.

Extensis review by Tom O.
Tom O.

"Portfolio as user and admin"

What do you like best?

There are many things I like about Portfolio. When evaluating different DAM solutions we found that Portfolio had the features important to us while fitting our budget. DAM systems can be extremely expensive and prohibitive for small businesses.

Having the ability to maintain our basic folder structure with the 'watched folder' setup was important to us since we had our own system of organization. But other features were even more important—like the ability to map metadata to custom fields and include enclosing folder/file names as keywords, for example.

As a user, I find the QuickFind field with predictive search as well as the more detailed search capabilities quite powerful. For our assets and file naming convention, using QuickFind usually is enough to bring up the selection I need for most searches. But, digging deeper and refining a search is easy and intuitive.

Another feature I find very useful when collecting images for a project is to flag of the images I want to select for download. This collects them in the "Flagged Assets" gallery so you can download them in one zipped file instead of downloading each file individually.

Smart galleries are also very handy since you can add photos from your catalog to a smart gallery by simply adding a keyword or phrase, for example, depending on the field used in the saved query.

And, thinking long-term asset management strategy, scalability is important to consider. Portfolio can grow with your business through add-on module licensing. We recently added the Smart Keyword module which has improved our search efficiency and, for the nerd in me, is actually fun to use.

What do you dislike?

There's one minor user interface issue I've noticed in both the Portfolio 2017 browser and desktop app interface. The default size of the Filtered Fields (right-hand) column is quite narrow. It is about the width of the image thumbnails. I would prefer to have the ability to set my own default column width. Currently, you can drag to expand that column which is good but is not retained at relaunch. That ability may be there and I'm just not aware of it. I have not contacted tech support since it's just a minor annoyance. But, I've always found the Extensis support team to be very helpful and responsive to feature requests

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone has their own requirements for asset management software but, for us, Portfolio as been a good solution allowing for efficient ingesting, keywording, searching, and retrieval of assets.

Having the ability to organize, identify, and share our collection of assets with our staff has enabled us to retrieve images more efficiently. This has improved our productivity and streamlined our workflow for our various marketing projects.

What Digital Asset Management solution do you use?

Extensis review by Robin P.
Robin P.

"Best solution for our company, in a crowded field of DAM software options"

What do you like best?

Portfolio's search tools are great. The automated tagging tool we added on has made the search tools even more useful by applying useful tags based on photo content without anyone on our team having to spend time manually tagging the images.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were easier/more affordable to access the Portfolio application and server via the cloud, and work remotely using the application and photos catalogued in it. Even when our VPN is working well for other purposes, it's very slow to use Portfolio over the VPN. Also, I wish we could dynamically resize image previews within the application interface. Lastly, occasionally when a search returns a large number of results, after I scroll through the first few dozen results, the result of the result set's preview images fail to load.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The team at Extensis is great to work with. That said, as with any software implementation, make sure you clearly identify your goals and needs so you can compare the fit Portfolio vs. the fit with other DAM products to see which meets your maximum number of goals for a manageable price. I'm not sure whether Portfolio can be used for audio or video files, and while I think there may be a cloud server version different from what we use, it's a whole different feature set and price package, so make sure you know what you're buying.

Our company gathers thousands of images annually, and we need an efficient way to index the images so we can retrieve them to use for marketing purposes at appropriate times. Portfolio cuts the time it takes to find the right image to a fraction of what it would be without the software.

Extensis review by Anna A.
Anna A.

"Wonderful Experience"

What do you like best?

What we liked best about the whole experience with Extensis, is the amazing support we have gotten through the whole process of getting everything set up. The documentation of the software is well written and easy to understand. Our main contact person Jeff has been phenomenal with answering any questions we have had.

What do you dislike?

It wasn't as easy to set up the catalog files, and get everything ported over. Though that could be just how we went about using the system. Since we always find a different way to use a software than most.

The business problem's we will be solving is the amount of time it takes to search for a single file in our old system. We can not search for images by file name, or add keywords to get those images to pop up. The other struggle we had were the issues with cross platform's Windows and Mac's have a different naming convention. Some files would end up looking very odd between the two. The benefits that we are realizing is the software is easy to use, we can control and manage user's and all around it will be easier to search for the files.

Extensis review by Cecily W.
Cecily W.

"Good for managing photos"

What do you like best?

We had 62,000-some digital assets when we installed Portfolio in 2013 - mostly photos. I'd been wrangling photos from multiple sources, and our users had been renaming files so they could record the details of an image. Extensis Portfolio made it easy to assign keywords, captions, and other details. I like being able to quickly create a gallery of images and generate a PDF. I also love the ability to batch rename files - or resize. We recently added the NetPublish feature to add the ability to share galleries with others within our network who don't have access to Portfolio.

What do you dislike?

We now have multiple catalogs (one for marketing photos, one for events, one for archive, one for confidential) and our users want to be able to search across the catalogs. Our users also seem to have problems with search requiring quotes around a name. (Otherwise, a search for John [space] Smith returns all photos tagged with John and all photos tagged with Smith.) I wish that if I chose to move a folder from one catalog to another, it would move the folder itself and not just the assets inside. The zoom is not as clear as the one on Adobe Bridge, so it can be hard to read peoples' name tags, for example, which would be handy for tagging. I have a bad habit of logging in and doing a search, and then closing the browser window and needing to start over, but I don't know how Extensis could fix that. I liked the product better when it had a desktop version - it was easier to link images in InDesign. The web-only option can be frustrating. Lastly, although this is great for photos, I expect there are better products for managing video.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This may not be the most sophisticated product out there. If you're looking for something to manage video, this is probably not the right solution.

We work with photos from across an entire academic health center. Extensis Portfolio helps us find, organize and tag files and is especially helpful when we need to remove a photo from our collection. It's helpful for tagging subjects so we know whether they are a patient, a model, a volunteer, etc. We purchased it to help manage patient photos and releases to make sure we weren't violating HIPAA law.

Extensis review by Minch, Robert M.
Minch, Robert M.

"Portfolio in the Enterprise"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the way Portfolio makes it easy to catalog items, create web galleries, and manage metadata.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is performance issues that you see when your catalogs get really big (1 million + assets).

Make sure you ask the right questions to the right people at Extensis when you are planning your system. The posted requirements would work fine for a small deployment, but across an enterprise, you will need a consultation to assure you will have a setup to handle your needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework concerning your actual planned usage. Portfolio will requires more resources than you may think, based upon the information easily available. More than a million assets and hundreds of Netpublish sites require serious dedicated hardware. And don't forget storage.

Portfolio allows for our photographers to quickly catalog their images and provide the customer with their finished images quickly, through a Netpublish site. It allows our archivist to add important metadata to images and publish a library of images for use across the enterprise. It allows various groups to provide access to event photos. The best part of this is it eliminates the duplication of images by keeping all of the images centrally located while allowing the images to be used in multiple ways.

Extensis review by Linda P.
Linda P.

"Great for backup"

What do you like best?

Fast image search and collection. Image download and change. Image gallery sharing via NetPublish. Allows more than 1 catalog. Extensis It is very helpful in answering questions.

What do you dislike?

There is certainly generally not much to be able to dislike - this ABOUTIE does everything you want at a very very good price. Not the most affordable but don't ever typically the most expensive and regarding all of us the biggest benefit for your money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I seriously liked the product when I began. It still meets 80% of our needs but is apparently losing some of its luster. Maybe we are not the group it is being built for. Also the upgrades are pretty powerful time wise. Challenging to keep up with in a municipal corporation.

The item worked real well for everyone (a small internal innovative group). It kept a record of our assets was easy to use from an conclusion customer perspective. It saved the great deal of period of time in finding assets each on disk and DVD AND BLU-RAY. Making utilization of the APIs we were capable to existing property with a key phrases and condition check package prior to the asset was accessible.

Extensis review by Andrey O.
Andrey O.

"Great product for a Design School environment"

What do you like best?

Ease of use / not cumbersome to use

Great search capabilities

Smart galleries based on search results

NetPublish

What do you dislike?

Dependence on Flash (a huge drawback)

No support for multi-page PDF documents

Pretty costly

iPhone app was last updated in 2015

No iPad support

Recommendations to others considering the product

While you may be considering other products before purchase, we suggest giving Extensis a closer look as most likely it will meet most of your DAM needs.

We are a design school and due to the volume of digital content we are dealing with on a daily basis it is essential to have a reliable tool to manage all this data. We use Extensis internally in the Administration to archive, share assets and make them available for Programmes Office, PR, Marketing and Information Resources and soon plan to integrate Extensis in our curriculum as we appreciate the need for our students to be better prepared for their future workplace where effective digital asset management and teamwork is key.

Extensis review by Michael Y.
Michael Y.

"Wish we had this sooner"

What do you like best?

I believe the strongest feature for us has been the way it handles keywords, especially the way folder names are automatically added to the files as keywords. On the fly, we can create a quick folder/subfolder structure, dump the files into that folder, and now all of those files are now tagged those folder names.

What do you dislike?

Please stop using Flash in the web client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As useful as this tool is, it is still a tool that requires consistent maintenance through a basic understanding of it's core features. It won't magically clean up all of your files at the touch of a button. It's like buying a top of the line camera, without any prior knowledge of photography, and expecting it to produce superior photos on its own. So, before committing to Portfolio, sit down with your team first and go over what everyone thinks about file organization. It's important that everyone is on the same page. Does everyone know what keywords/metadata are? Has anyone worked with music playlists or photo album programs before (it's the same concept)? How do they name their files (Final-Final-v2-for_review.pdf)? The power of Portfolio relies on every single user, and how they can properly tag files, place in correct folders, name files logically, etc. That's all it really takes. Once you have that established, then you're golden.

Previously, our product photography had been organized by folders, and finding images meant scrolling through directories manually. The NetPublish feature alleviated all of that, as we now have the entire library accessible through a simple search engine. Not only did this cut down the time searching for images for ourselves, it has also eliminated all additional requests for us to deliver product images to other departments.

Extensis review by Mandy G.
Mandy G.

"Easy to use DAM"

What do you like best?

Portfolio is easy to use, and intuitive. The ability to drag and drop images from the database is great, it reduces the number of duplicate files we have on the network. The mobile app allows merchants to take images while they are in the field and load them for others to see.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that Portfolio is a server based system, I would prefer cloud based. This would allow the other offices around the county and around the world to easily use Portfolio Express.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Decide if a server based or a cloud based DAM is better for you.

Visibility of our assets for all brands. Images and Videos were shot by a certain brand, and others did not have easy access to the files unless they knew the shot was taking place or if you asked the photographer. Our websites and emails are now able to utilize the images, overall improving the look of our brands.

Extensis review by Jason S.
Jason S.

"Extensis Portfolio"

What do you like best?

Fast image search and retrieval.

Image download and conversion.

Image gallery sharing via NetPublish.

Allows more than 1 catalog.

Extensis IT is very helpful in answering questions.

Onsite implementation IT are very proficient.

What do you dislike?

2016 version does not preserve transparency when converting format.

2016 runs in flash.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take time to organize your assets and streamline the amount of unnecessary assets you have. The cleaner your assets are going in, the less cleanup you have to do later as well as the less assets packs you will need to purchase in order to fully process and display all assets.

Image search-internal and external.

push images to other areas of the enterprise.

publish galleries for business partners.

Business partners can change format and size for their needs.

Extensis review by Matt S.
Matt S.

"Almost an Enterprise DAM at SMB prices. "

What do you like best?

Our Photo Studio has been using Extensis Portfolio Server for almost 10 years now. We have watched it grow into a formidable value for those who cannot afford a six figure (or more) solution. We could not be happier with the product support we have received from Extensis and it has scaled with us as our number of assets has grown from hundreds of thousands into the millions.

What do you dislike?

When they eliminated the desktop client I missed some of the user interface features as an Administrator, but the benefits of the web client for the users far outweighed those concerns.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a department of a large company or a SMB, there are not very many choices for an affordable DAM solution. This is one of them, and it is a great product with great support at a reasonable cost of entry and a reasonable cost of product support.

Before we had a DAM it would take days to find assets, now it takes minutes or even seconds. The efficiency boost in turning around photo requests cannot be understated.

Extensis review by Robbie R.
Robbie R.

"Best Darn Dam System!"

What do you like best?

Extensis Portfolio is user friendly, with an easy and efficient way to catalog and share content. In the past, we explored many other ways to help store and distribute content, but Portfolio is the best solution for our mission. The support team is helpful, when needed and we appreciate the upgrades with improved functionality. I have used Portfolio at several other work sites, and it continues to best the best overall solution for saving the past work, taking care of the needs of today and moving forward towards the future. We have been able to create and share live images with our team, expanding our social media reach. Maintaining more than one MILLION assets, we count on Extensis Portfolio!

What do you dislike?

We work together with the fine folks at Extensis on a regular basis to update and improve on a great-working process. Their team has a spirit of cooperation in helping us solve problems. Nothing to dislike about this wonderful solution to our DAM needs!

Recommendations to others considering the product

We highly recommend exploring the world of Extensis Portfolio to help meet any asset management needs.

We serve a wide variety of clients needing dynamic imagery without the problems associated with cataloging one-million+ images. Extensis Portfolio helps us streamline our workflow and allows a thoughtful and effective method of asset management. Overall, we have been able to train easily and empower them to seek out imagery with little to no assistance.

Extensis review by David S.
David S.

"Great asset management tool for small and large collections alike"

What do you like best?

I work in a small office but needed a better overall graphics asset management system than Apple photos could provide because I also need to manage documents and other things. Portfolio for that bill perfectly.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve, but not dissimilar to any other DAM out there. I think portfolio of one of the easiest to learn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You're gonna find that Portfolio is the easiest to learn and use at a very competitive price among all the DAMs out there now.

As I said, organizing and cataloging many different kinds of assets from photos and video clips to finished documents, logos and other graphics... It all makes my job earlier and easier to find files I need when a customer request them.

Extensis review by Jim M.
Jim M.

"We have Portfolio deployed in three locations for over 4 years now. Searching for assets is easy now"

What do you like best?

When you have over 2 million assets and you want to reuse some past designs, or find an related design, Portfolio helps you do that within seconds. You can keep your assets super organized with very little effort.

What do you dislike?

The Web portal is ok, but i miss the Desktop app. Understand they are bring that back soon.

You have to engage your end users to enter metadata.

The problem was trying to locate past designs for reuse. It would take hours to find an asset that you were looking for and you had to have an idea of what area of the server to look at. When you have over 15 TB of artwork, you can spend all day looking for files your needing.

Now with Portfolio, you can search by numerous criteria and have your results in seconds. The ROI on this product was less than 6 months.

Extensis review by Heather M.
Heather M.

"Covers everything we need in digital asset management"

What do you like best?

It's ability to keyword, accept multiple filetypes (haven't found one yet that it doesn't accept), and see the metadata of images.

What do you dislike?

Kind of clunky, takes a while to load if you have a lot of images. Not intuitive to start, need a lot of experimentation and training. Wish there was a way to share specific folders with others without needing the desktop app. Also some photos do not show a thumbnail without syncing them again, an extra step that takes a long time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give yourself time to learn how to use it and it will be an extremely useful tool.

We needed something to hold our 3Tb+ images and videos, and this is able to hold them and easily access them. If the images are keyworded, they're easily searchable, which becomes necessary on jobs that need to be done quickly.

Extensis review by Andrew B.
Andrew B.

"Superior Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Extensis was implemented prior to my arrival, and the account team was very good at providing resources to me and my team to learn how our integration worked and to manage the application on our own. It is also pretty intuitive once you understand the basics and we are able to allow departments to manage their assets on their own with little assistance from IT.

What do you dislike?

A few users have complained about search parameters, but we have seen that improve in the product over the last couple of upgrades

We had the same image stored hundreds of places on our network. With tens of thousands of images, it meant we were wasting 4-5 TB's of storage. With Extensis, we have improved workflow and accessibility for our web, ecomm and marketing teams.

Extensis review by David H.
David H.

"I act as the administrator for our portfolio instance as well as an end-user."

What do you like best?

I like overall storage capacity as we have several hundred thousand images that need to be stored. I also like the ability for end-users to create public galleries and the presets options for downloads. There are several other new features that make overall maintenance easier, but really too many to write out here.

What do you dislike?

The biggest issues that I have are:

- Not being able to see more items in the grid view (thumbnails are too large)

- Not being able to create presets that would work for both horizontal and vertical images (ie, I would like to be able to create one preset that downsizes to a fixed height but has the images maintain the aspect ratio for the width. Currently, a hard height and width must be provided).

We have been able to make images available to more groups based on security access. Presets allow the users to resize images without the assistance of media/IT.

Extensis review by Steve P.
Steve P.

"Portfolio is a key part of our business model"

What do you like best?

Portfolio is easy to integrate with/ It's Artificial Intelligence Auto-tagging saves huge time and resource for our clients, adds consistency and ensures that users find the images they need regardless of how they search.

The Extensis staff are great, responsive adn supportive. They have a similar ethos to After Digital and are very customer focused whilst remaining attentive partners.

What do you dislike?

There is generally not much to dislike - this DAM does everything you need at a very good price. Not the cheapest but by no means the most expensive and for us the best value for your money.

We use Portfolio to offer our clients easy access to their digital assets. We use our own Connector to drive these assets into the front end CMS of the websites we build, creating beautifully designed, user-centered, mobile first sites but with the power of Portfolio to drive the content to the right page at the right time for the user to experience.

Tye main issues our clients face is the accurate cataloguing and then retrieval of their digital assets.

Extensis review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"Good solution for managing and organizing tons of media assets."

What do you like best?

It's easy to use from both the librarian's perspective and the user's perspective. Administration is pretty easy and the GUI to do this is very nice.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when the metadata import fails the error messages aren't enough information to figure out why it failed.

Another frustration is that when we import metadata we no longer have the option to apply metadata only to items in an isolated location, it applies the imported metadata to the entire catalog by default. This can result in some unintentional metadata overwrites.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you decide ahead of time on your assets folder structure, naming conventions, keywords, and metadata requirements before you put your first asset into the system.

Centralization of assets in an easily accessible location. We no longer have to pull CDs off the shelf, or sort through poorly organized folders on multiple file shares to find our assets.

Extensis review by Administrator in Leisure, Travel & Tourism
Administrator in Leisure, Travel & Tourism

"Portfolio is a great way to manage large quantities of photo/video assets."

What do you like best?

I like that I'm able to organize all photo and video assets into one central location and have the ability to distribute only selected items to clients. I also like the ease with which I can add/update metadata for the assets. And I love the new video playback in Portfolio 2016.

What do you dislike?

I have been using Portfolio since 2008. I became very accustomed to using the desktop client. What I loved about that (which is something that the current Porfolio doesn't offer) is that I was able to see ALL assets in a given catalog on ONE page. Now I am only able to see a maxium of 500 assets per page. Now that Portfolio is 100% net-based, it is way slower than the old desktop client. I also don't like that NetPublish does not offer the option for user to download smaller sizes (they way you can at Shutterstock.com, for example). We use large high-resolution photos for print marketing, but these huge files are not good for our sales team who insert JPEG files into Word documents. In the old version, they would copy/paste the image from the details page, which is no longer allowed. If they could download smaller files, the reporting function for which images have been downloaded would be a lot more accurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be aware that you can only download ONE size (the original file) when downloading photos via NetPublish. It would be great if Portfolio NetPublish offered download of multiple file sizes (height and width) since the user have various needs ranging from low-res for the web to high-res for print.

We use Portfolio NetPublish to distribute our photo/video assets to our 54 offices around the world and to travel agents, press, and media. We would have a much harder time doing this without Portfolio. The benefit of having all our assets in one central location from which they can be easily distributed is vital to our business.

Extensis review by Administrator in Graphic Design
Administrator in Graphic Design

"A powerful and beyond useful tool..."

What do you like best?

Easy navigation and user experience, batch processing and tagging capabilities and NetPublish is a next level. Majority of requests that I receive on a daily basis involve the sending of images and/or logos and NetPublish has made that part of my job even easier.

What do you dislike?

Besides being able to set up NetPublish sites that can expire in a specific timeframe without having to go into the main Admin pages, I really don't have any other issues with the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a photo asset management system that is easy to use, learn and teach, Portfolio is your answer.

Archiving and tagging a large database of images and logos that our association owns. Creating a more functional and searchable group of assets that we can share to our stakeholders as well as for use internally. NetPublish has been a game changer in making all expectations come a reality and sharing our assets with ease.

Extensis review by Administrator in Architecture & Planning
Administrator in Architecture & Planning

"Great product, makes searching for assetts so much easier."

What do you like best?

Portfolio is a great search tool, I love the way it uses your keywords to intuitively search in the 'quick find' panel. Its also great that you can collect images and create PDFs quickly and easily. A pleasure to use.

What do you dislike?

The only problems I have are to do with inserting the description and punctuation. Portfolio seems to dislike paragraph/line breaks in the description and it takes ages to go back and add them in again - it takes two attempts - you cant just cut and paste a description which is annoying. We also had some problems with punctuation when transferring over our old catalogues but to be fair to extensis, they came in and took lots of time and effort to sort it out.

Portfolio has completely changed the way we search our databases and there is lots of scope to roll it out to other areas of the practice. I am developing new databases for the rest of the practice to use.

Extensis review by David P.
David P.

"Portfolio: Our on-premise DAM for the last 10 years"

What do you like best?

Portfolio is a terrific mid-price DAM system that has many features of systems that cost three or four times as much. We like the ease of creating custom metadata templates, the ability to seamlessly and easily publish to the web and the ease of management.

What do you dislike?

The admin console occasionally kicks back errors and we have seen some issues when upgrading from certain versions. Nothing major, minor annoyances, nothing more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Extensis provides excellent support and professional services to this looking to customize.

The ability to centralize assets, dramatically decrease search times and customize searches has led to an increase in productivity and a shortening of work cycles. The ability to share selected assets with clients has also been a real benefit.

Extensis review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"I work to upload, tag and maintain images on our DAM site."

What do you like best?

We recently upgraded to the current version of Extensis and I really enjoy the new look on the user interface. The ability to download and send feedback to the rest of our admins is a helpful feature, especially since we have so many active users who need to access photos. I also enjoy the separation feature for photos, videos and audio clips. It is handy for us since we have a lot of different multimedia files to maintain.

What do you dislike?

One feature I miss from the old version is the ability to have the list of clickable categories on the left side of the home screen. This was very useful for our users, especially since sometimes the photos were not thoroughly tagged making images difficult to fine by search.

We are solving the problem of photo sharing and storage for our organization. Benefits of Extensis are the tagging efficiency and the ease of batch uploads.

Extensis review by Administrator in Airlines/Aviation
Administrator in Airlines/Aviation

"Great Enterprise Level Solution"

What do you like best?

We really like the watch folder and auto ingest/keywording. Also the NetPublish feature is critical for our companies workflow. We also find the ability to add custom fields to really helpful when it comes to first organizing and cataloging our assets and second to the end user searching and finding what they are looking for.

What do you dislike?

This might seem silly but I don't like how you have to select a range of photos in order to preview them using the next/previous arrow keys. A more intuitive user experience would be if you preview a single photo in an album but then hit the next/previous arrows it would then show you the next or previous photo, without having to previously select them before previewing. This is how the Apple Operating System works when viewing a file/photo in the finder view.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Organize your assets ahead of time and take advantage of the auto keywording feature that will apply keywords based off the folder names/structure.

Centralizing, standardizing and sharing thousands of assets with a company that is spread across the nation. We have benefited from great accuracy in image use and less time/hassle spent finding the appropriate image.

Extensis review by Administrator in Museums and Institutions
Administrator in Museums and Institutions

"Portfolio asset management"

What do you like best?

We have been so happy with Portfolio's ability to quickly create asset derivatives and to securely share our assets both internally and externally through the use of NetPublish. We are able to implement this tool across most of the departments in our institution to help to solve asset management, discovery, and access issues. Users are typically quick to learn allowing for easy adoption throughout the organization

What do you dislike?

We often would like to have a work space or gallery that could be access across all the catalogs, but currently galleries are catalog specific. I would also like there to be a more obvious copyright filter on the previews or in the metadata. If copyright notices could show up in red or if there could be some easy way for individuals to know at a quick glance which images were approved images for publication or reproduction, it would reduce a lot of confusion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Portfolio has been an easy for users to adopt and allows us to control who has access to particular groups of assets. It's easy, from an admin perspective to control these permissions and the regular updates are easy to install, maintain.

We are organizing, quality checking, and creating all of our derivative for our assets across the institution using this one tool. It has allowed multiple departments to jump on board with learning and using one tool to making it much easier and more streamlined process for employees searching for assets, or providing access for publication.

Extensis review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Absolutely the best Asset Management software"

What do you like best?

Portfolio is a complete package for any company needing a reliable Asset Management tool, every major update just makes it better and more through without complexity.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any dislikes anymore - Extensis keeps ahead of the game for me. It seems every time I find something I don't like its fixed in the next major upgrade. I no longer keep a wishlist.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before you look at other applications - try Portfolio first, you will save lots of time.

Giving staff members access to company purchased royalty free assets solved our problem with people just pulling items from the internet that are not licensed. We no longer have to be concerned about the legal issues. We are currently building an in-house corporate video library that will be a huge time saver for the company.

Extensis review by Cat L.
Cat L.

"Flexible, powerful and scalable"

What do you like best?

The team are very proactive and supportive. The product itself offers massive capability off-the-shelf with even further potential once you start looking at integration and expansion. It can be a massively powerful tool for our clients.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as of yet. We have only experienced good things with the solution to date, with our team adding value through customised development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A highly flexible and performant solution for digital asset management. We regularly recommend this to clients.

We integrate Portfolio into our clients' websites and have found it to massively improve productivity around asset management, but also to increase the business' optimisation and usage of these assets. Through implementation of this solution clients have been able to realise new business streams, digitise large volumes of assets and better manage their brands.

Extensis review by Kirill G.
Kirill G.

"Useful and helpful application!"

What do you like best?

Easy to add files, easy to find. We can download full-size images immediatelly after we have find it in catalog. We use Portfolio during several years and we like it! Extensis support team helps us with all our questions. Watch folders are very helpful, just add it and forget about it! Application can recoginize multiple filetypes.

What do you dislike?

Desktop client was very convenient for users, we hope Extensis will return it in the future.

Now our creative studio catalogue all works we done and we can find any files in a seconds and use it again if we need.

Administrator in Consumer Goods

"Great at what it does!"

What do you like best?

Extensis has done a lot of work to this product over the years. We started using the product over 15 years ago. Excellent at want it does. Worked really well at keeping the filesystem and the database in sync. It's ability to "archive" assets when removed from the file system was of great help to us.

What do you dislike?

It's ability to customize sites were a bit of a chore. If you wanted something that strayed from the templates you need you use their APIs. The API was pretty well documented. But it was not something the casual user could do.

This product worked real well for us (a small internal creative group). It kept track of our assets was easy to use from an end user perspective. It saved a great deal of time in finding assets both on disk and DVD. Using the APIs we were able to present assets with a terms and condition check box before the asset was available.

Extensis review by Administrator in Research
Administrator in Research

"Upgraded in-house image library and digital asset management"

What do you like best?

The application is fast, has a clean interface and the staff have been extremely accessible during our research and implementation phases. The core functionality of the software is easy to learn and key features are never more than a click or two away. Also find the help menu relevant and useful.

What do you dislike?

Some elements of the application still use Flash but apparently that is being phased out in the next update to full HTML5. Not much else to dislike about the application.

We were using a clunky install of TRIM asset management that was slowly grinding to a halt. Our business is a mixture of PCs and Macs which all have access to the same 'asset management experience'. We create a lot of project specific assets that need usage, permissions and versions tracked; we now have that covered.

Extensis review by Jon O.
Jon O.

"Portfolio Changes Helps Improve our Asset Management and Processes"

What do you like best?

Portfolio is really easy to set up on the server side with minimal knowledge required. From the user end the interface is very straight forward and user friendly. Organizing your assets and accessing them can be done with ease.

What do you dislike?

The only thing we dislike is having to wait for new features. But generally between versions there isn't a lot of wait time.

We are making the process in which we create, utilize and deliver images and creative assets to the business and customers much more streamlined. Portfolio has been a great way to put in safeguards to protect our assets by insuring they are in the right location and quickly accessible by a simple search.

Extensis review by Craig P.
Craig P.

"I use Extensis Portfolio everyday and would be pretty lost without it."

What do you like best?

Theres lots of functionality but its not overwhelming ultimately its very simple to use.

Watch folders are great.

Search is fast.

What do you dislike?

The option to reveal a source file (ctrl click - reveal in finder) doesn't seem to be in the new version in the browser, whereas it was on the desktop version. Perhaps it is possible but i haven't discovered it yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Essential software for anyone dealing with a huge amount of digital assets.

Just being able to file efficiently and find what i need fast.

Extensis review by Kelly B.
Kelly B.

"Great way to view files without opening"

What do you like best?

The ability to search specific folders, the keyword search and also file formats etc. It's awesome to find what you need on a large server.

What do you dislike?

Using the web version it is disappointing you can't open a file from there, but at least you can see the server path.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The keyword search is great, it's awesome it pulls in the metadata of photos so it makes searching for a certain type photo easy.

Our marketing requestors can find PDFs and artwork on their own without having to bother graphic designers. It saves a lot of time to do actual work and not waste time looking for a photo or file.

Extensis review by Carpenter G.
Carpenter G.

"Photographer's Look at DAM via Portfolio"

What do you like best?

Integration of all EXIF, IPTC and Adobe metadata. Integration with LDAP server for password security.

What do you dislike?

Scrolling via a trackpad is too sensitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is important to configure the product correctly for the start.

Pay the extra to have on site consultation set up.

Have a DAM plan in place so you can hit the ground running.

Work with your IT department to maximize performance.

We have opened the vault on images across campus, this has freed up my time to make images not search for them for clients.

Extensis review by Norman H.
Norman H.

"Only as good as the end users"

What do you like best?

The server portion installs easy enough, it was a bit of a resource hog in our VMware environment. The client portion works well enough. Our main issue was in getting the end users to be consistent about tagging photos. Our biggest problem was that it uploading images always falls to an intern.

What do you dislike?

Expensive, would have liked to see a better non profit discount.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you get a buy in from your end users. Don't let the job fall to the low man on the totem pole.

DAM. It helped us organize our images in a way we can use other products if needed.

Extensis review by Pam P.
Pam P.

"Extensis has good points but needs updates "

What do you like best?

Embed and extract metadata. Export originals and converted images and metadata in reusable formats. It is reasonably priced.

What do you dislike?

Flash based. When the took away the desktop client it was much harder to do things you used to do. Also the netpubkish part become harder for non-coders.

Management of faculty media collections for teaching

Extensis review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"Portfolio "

What do you like best?

Easy to upload, download, move files and setting up users and catalogues a breeze. One point access for everything

What do you dislike?

Currently the media share websites are more work for me. I used to have one url our staff shared with clients. All they needed was a unique password to access their specific files. Leaving all other files hidden, now we have to set up individual sites for each branch. Not friendly for my type of use. The search is not as robust and at times people are telling me its not working... It is making it hard to find what you are looking for, even if images are well tagged.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really liked the product when I started out. It still meets 80% of our needs but seems to be loosing some of its shine. Maybe we are not the audience it is being built for. Also the upgrades are pretty aggressive time wise. Hard to keep up with in a municipal corporation.

This is a central location for all our media files across the corporation. This tool is to reduce duplication, help with expiry management and help to ensure we all have access to the best media files available.

Extensis review by Andy T.
Andy T.

"18 years of Portfolio"

What do you like best?

A easy way to organise your images that can be shared easily with your colleagues.

What do you dislike?

Can take a bit of time to set up if you don't know what you are doing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Design your system on paper first, start small and be prepared to make changes.

Being able to share 250,000 images dating back to the 1990's with 100 staff quickly.

Removing the need to have complex system of folders and making life easier for me.

Extensis review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Great Assest system with a lot to give"

What do you like best?

the system has full active directory intergration to allow single sign in. it has many features allowing businesses to use it as a great asset server and allow customers to view products being created. for anyone looking for a asset management system with great features i would strongly recommend they try Portfolio

What do you dislike?

the system is complicated to get setup may features available that you may miss while setting up the system your self. but with assistance from extensis support you will have it up and running in no time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i would recommend to any user to request that extensis help setup the system. there are many features that you may miss when doing a first setup. The expert help really does help in the long run and enables the server to run more stable.

with the portfolio is allowed us to catalog many thousands of customer images and allow them to get access to view them. it also allows for cross company access to be able to download stored images for use

Extensis review by Administrator in Broadcast Media
Administrator in Broadcast Media

"Portfolio is a great visual Asset Manager"

What do you like best?

There are multiple things that I like, but Portfolio continues folder Autosync is one of the features we rely more in our environment. The other big plus for us is the graphic and visual interface of Portfolio.

What do you dislike?

Portfolio NetPublish is one of those tools that never quite worked for our environment. It doesn't necessarily mean the functionality is not there, it just never worked for our workflow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great visual driven tool for digital asset management.

We have a huge amount of files generated and maintain by our graphics department. Artists are not the best at managing files so Portfolio help us keep our digital assets organized and managed.

Extensis review by Jessamyn M.
Jessamyn M.

"Respectable software but not without limitations."

What do you like best?

The new interface of the web client has gained much in aesthetics and relative ease of use.

What do you dislike?

I sorely miss the standalone Desktop client of earlier versions with infinite scrolling and drag and drop capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For multi-catalogue searching this is not the proper DAM tool. User interface is intuitive, design is aesthetic and customized branding options should be sufficient for most users. Page load times can be slow, make sure your system/servers are optimized for best possible performance on web client.

Collaboration is greatly improved in the current version, sharing assets across an internal team has greatly improved our overall workflow.

Extensis review by Executive Sponsor in Apparel & Fashion
Executive Sponsor in Apparel & Fashion

"They are called digital assets - so get the most out of them."

What do you like best?

Easy for users to use. Our Designers not intimated with loading or searching functions which helps the in house helpdesk.

What do you dislike?

On occasion we still fight the browser differences fight where we know all is functioning properly but users has an outdated or incompatibility issue with the browser they are using.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Affordable, reliable, easy even for your more challenging users.

We can now reach back nearly 10 years to check our archives for the components of products we have designed. Reusing these ASSETS when appropriate can potentially save us a ton of money. Being a fashion oriented business we are constantly redesigning.

Extensis review by Kevin S.
Kevin S.

"A Powerful Digital Asset Management System with Flexibility"

What do you like best?

Portfolio has an intuitive UI for non-technical users, but provides our team the ability to get very granular in how we administer our assets.

What do you dislike?

Automatic syncs aren't always reliable and there can be some discrepancies on what's on the server vs. what appears in Portfolio.

We needed a digital asset management system that integrated with MS active directory that would allow us to assign privileges to catalogs based on international regions. We've now moved off of using shared drives and Dropbox for storage and sharing.

Extensis review by Administrator in Pharmaceuticals
Administrator in Pharmaceuticals

"Standout product and customer service"

What do you like best?

As the IT support specialist at my company, I appreciate the ease of installation on both the server and client ends. The priority support has been invaluable and saved us in numerous binds. Portfolio interface and functionality has been improving with each and every release.

What do you dislike?

Having to update database file versions now and then when new releases come out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Forget the rest, this is the asset management software you're looking for.

Centralized location for all of our assets. This has allowed users from numerous sites across the country to access those assets in one location instead of having to deal with version and location conflicts.

Extensis review by User

"Extensis Portfolio review."

What do you like best?

As a graphic designer, Extensis is a good portfolio for me. I can publish my portfolio online. I also like basic and customoziable interface.

What do you dislike?

Not so much things I don't dislike. Maybe it can be more tools. And it can slow at old devices. In generel Extensis is all right.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is asolutely great organization tool.

I organize my images and keep them together.

Extensis review by Administrator in Medical Devices
Administrator in Medical Devices

"I love Extensis Portfolio"

What do you like best?

i like the online publishing option, it saves me many hours of searching and sending assets.

What do you dislike?

user manual is huge and sometimes not very intuitive

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've been using Extensis products for years, they make great software. Their portfolio product is about the best in the business and I've been using it for many years now. I love its versatility and once its all set up its so easy for users to get assets.

I'm using the online publishing capabilities to allow employees from around the globe to have immediate access to our main product and marketing imagery.

Extensis review by Administrator in Warehousing
Administrator in Warehousing

"Extensis Portfolio - DAM software"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, interface is clean and clear and customizeable

What do you dislike?

Archaic processes, slow, discontinued support for small user options, no video player option but QT which is insecure on PC

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do you wish for long term support or are you a small business? Look at the history of the company and review the experiences of users. Unless you are a large client and require customer service Extensis Portfolio is not likely the best choice. If on the other hand you wish to engage them as a consulting partner they are quite good.

Search and Distribution of documents

Extensis review by Administrator

"TDC's Extensis Experience"

What do you like best?

I like the simple layout of the application. Users can navigate easily to create galleries and find their digital assets.

What do you dislike?

When galleries are published, there isn't any "select all" button to select all the images to download. Users have to individually select each image, which may be time consuming. Also, the "Download All" button is not easily visible. Users have to click the "selected items" button to download the images.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Extensis Portfolio is the ideal software if you're looking for something to assist in organization of your digital assets. It's easy to setup and enables you to distribute files to numerous stakeholders.

In our organizations, digital media is distributed often to our stakeholders. Extensis Portfolio makes it easy to store and organize our media files and publish.

Extensis review by Administrator in Defense & Space
Administrator in Defense & Space

"I have been using Extensis Portfolio for more than 6 years and rely on it for the success of my work"

What do you like best?

The ability to set up and share catalogs over the Internet rather than using closed networks.

What do you dislike?

Not really much of anything. The software pretty well works as it should.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. I think you will like it's ease of use.

We have a small group of imaging professionals including graphic artists, photographers and videographers distributed across the country that provide our services to a large gov't agency. We are all able to upload imagery as it's created to allow each of us the ability to use that imagery in our own projects.

Extensis review by Karen H.
Karen H.

"Extensis Portfolio Standalone"

What do you like best?

Extensis Portfolio Standalone has been a great way to manage my thousands of images. I find keywording for multiple images easier to do in this program than on Adobe Bridge.

What do you dislike?

The Portfolio Standalone is no longer supported by Extensis. Standalone users have to update to Extensis Server to continue being current and have access to tech support. The $2,000 price is a costly deterrent for upgrading. Extensis had made larger companies their target market and forsaken individual entrepreneurs. Other software for digital asset management are Adobe Lightroom and Photo Mechanic.

Be aware that in Portfolio, sometimes the paths to files get broken and it takes a while to figure out how to reconnect them. This recently happened to me when I got a new hard drive and it had a different name than my previous hard drive. I had to change the name of the new hard drive to be the same as the previous one to re-establish the paths' connections.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Individual users should look at other options.

Extensis Portfolio allows me to have a directory of my images in one place. This is greatly helpful when looking for a particular image. The program also allows a person to have folders or collections of images (subsets from the directory) without using additional computer memory.

Extensis review by Becca G.
Becca G.

"Extensis Portfolio for image search"

What do you like best?

We particularly appreciate the ease of searching and previewing (primarily used for image searches) and ease of adding image files to layouts. Prior to creating this database of our royalty-free image assets, we realized we couldn't easily keep track of the images we already owned and found our designers would search online rather than explore our own assets and even repurchase images we had already invested in. We needed to make it as easy to search for RF images we already own as it is to search the entire world-wide web. We also like the feature to embed metadata out into the actual cataloged file. With the advent of other search mechanisms (Adobe Bridge, Spotlight, etc.), this gives us optional ways to search.

What do you dislike?

When adding metadata, especially keywords, various simple punctuation (such as quotation marks often used in keyword txt files) can cause the database to error out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider all options

Full disclosure, we are not using Portfolio Server for all DAM. We are using Portfolio only for cataloging our royalty-free image library to make it as easy to search for RF images we already own as it is to search the entire world-wide web. It works well for this specific purpose. We were initially frustrated that database keywords are not automatically embedded in the actual image files but we have since used Portfolio's embed-properties function to do that. This has facilitated searching also with Bridge and Spotlight when necessary or convenient.

Extensis review by Ron P.
Ron P.

"Extensis Portfolio review from a high-volume product (sku) manufacturing customer"

What do you like best?

We have a wide variety of users that require specific uses for our digital assets and Portfolio Server delivers. We were able to integrate Portfolio within our Web-based Retailer Portal so that only approved clients with an approved sign-in could access selected assets. Internally, we use the Web-Client interface for entering, updating images and metadata.

What do you dislike?

We would like to see the availability of using vector clipping masks with our EPS images. As of this date, Portfolio does not support this needed feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy and intuitive web interface for both the administration and delivery of digital assets.

Directed access to all our authorized assets for Internal staff use, external domestic use, and external international use, all using the same interface. Web-based and accessed so it's always available. Dramatic decrease in staff time sending assets by e-mail requests. Easily updatable with minimum amount of staff training.

Extensis review by Administrator in Utilities
Administrator in Utilities

"Extensis Portfolio"

What do you like best?

The flexibility of Extensis Portfolio is really what works well for us. We can use existing workflows and pipelines that we have, existing servers and tools, and keep moving forward.

What do you dislike?

The web-based interface is nice, and has worked well for us, though there are times where we miss the client installs and the desktop applications that used to be available. It is a tradeoff, the web interface provides more flexibility and accessibility to more people, but the performance is sometimes diminished.

We use Portfolio to manage all aspects of our digital asset management strategy, and have seen large efficiencies gained through the use of the tool. It helps to streamline and simplify many of our logistics.

Extensis review by User in Chemicals
User in Chemicals

"Extensis Portfolio Summary"

What do you like best?

I have used the Extensis Portfolio for font management. Specifically Suitcase Fusion 7. It's a good software to share fonts within a network.

What do you dislike?

The software can be a bit glitchy sometimes. It has the tendency to stop working if there has been a Microsoft Automatic Update.

Using Extensis Portfolio has allowed my company to amalgamate fonts into a shared network folder and access the ones we want to use without installing an entire database of fonts. Makes it easier in terms of using fonts for design.

Extensis review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Overpriced, underpowered"

What do you like best?

I like that it's accessible via a web browser

What do you dislike?

That the version we use (web Version 2.5.3) is made in Flash. This is going the way of the dinosaur, and it doesn't inspire confidence that a program we depend on is based on a platform that is being sunsetted by its owners (Adobe).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking at using Portfolio, consider the desktop version. I have no experience with it, but starting to use this as a web tool isn't a good idea unless they transition away from Flash.

We're managing our digital assets.

Extensis review by Tewosret (Tia) V.
Tewosret (Tia) V.

"Everything In Its Right Place"

What do you like best?

The user interface design makes for easy sorting and location of digital assets for primary users and secondary users.

What do you dislike?

Hot keys and keyboard shortcuts are not enabled.

Extensis Portfolio allows us to access our digital assets in a succinct and organized manner. It creates a synchronized visual language for an interdisciplinary organization.

Extensis review by Michelle L.
Michelle L.

"Useful tool for Digital Asset Management"

What do you like best?

The Extensis Portfolio is a great tool, very easy to use, a very good image organization, adding and embedding metadata. For a small agency that creates thousands of images is the best way to store and manage everything. Also I like the ease of batch processing.

What do you dislike?

Using the desktop client you need to be aware of when you drag things around, not to drag the folders on the catalogs or server. The images moved will not be able to take/remember and will erase the metadata.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool but I think everyone needs to do some research to see what suits their needs better.

Organizing and storing a large amount of images and videos, also easy access and a good search engine.

Extensis review by Lisa B.
Lisa B.

"Portfolio is a great internal tool for photography management."

What do you like best?

Metadata-based searching within catalogs and simplicity of the user interface are top of the list. The multiple catalog databases provides control over content, permitting allowed users the ability to view, download or contribute. Previewing and downloading are extremely easy.

What do you dislike?

With simplicity comes gaps. Within our workflow, we need more than just photo management but need the ability to apply asset-level securities. Our goal is to have a DAM that's the base for numerous business processes, whether they come with the DAM or integrate to other applications - and right now Portfolio is limited to extending or building out those processes.

Collaboration and approvals workflow and work order management are the big ones on my list. DAM needs to be central to initiating these processes.

Extensis review by syed a.
syed a.

"Software interface"

What do you like best?

the interface is clean and east to use.

What do you dislike?

the loading and correction times. it can take awhile to load.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It gets the job done at an easy pace.

To create clean slates of portfolios and have them look presentable.

Extensis review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Solid software from trusted company"

What do you like best?

I've used this program in the past, and they've recently done a great job at updating this platform. Ability to create media engines and client folders for clients, separating assets.

What do you dislike?

Which there was more white branding and client solutions capable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're considering having one hub for all your assets, this is it. If you need extensive client interaction with assets, this may not be the best solution.

I use this for branding clients. I keep assets separate and am able to export size of files depending on determined use. I've discovered I don't need to create all the assets for clients,

Extensis review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Extensis Portfolio 9 and 9.5"

What do you like best?

Extensis is very easy to use and provides many of the basics that a small company might be looking for such as tagging, image organization, and embedding metadata. For a small amount of images that you need help managing, it is a step above Lightroom or Adobe Bridge because of the galleries feature and ability to web publish.

What do you dislike?

For libraries and archives, it truly is not robust enough. It is not OAIS compliant nor does it allow for preservation-level metadata (the search becomes slow).

We also had a strange time upgrading to 9.5 in which data was probably deleted, we were told different things by different people, and it took several weeks. We did this update to use SQL based catalogs and now are being told we have to revert back because the native databases have improved. I'm not sure that makes sense.

We use Portfolio to keep track of our digitized items. It is helpful to manage digital objects through a basic DAMS, especially with so many digitized-on-demand jobs.

Extensis review by Consultant

"Extensis Portfolio 2017"

What do you like best?

Modular, cost effective pricing for enterprise implementation

What do you dislike?

Loss of features between upgrades, no reporting available on usage metrics

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know that the database is a flat-file structure, not relational. There is very little reporting on use metrics available

Build sophisticated Image library, managing 1.65 Million assets

Administrator in Consumer Goods

"Great program, very helpful and useful daily."

What do you like best?

I like the multiple search options that are available, the tagging feature. Also, being able to create smart galleries. When adding new images into the server they sync quickly if necessary. I love the feature that allows to download and even batch download. Amazing import/export… super easy to use.

What do you dislike?

There is definitely more for me to learn on this program because I've been using it for less then a year but so far I haven't encountered very many things that I dislike. The only thing slightly negative thing I can say is that it's very easy to drag things and move files around which can sometimes be a problem for what we use it for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great organization tool… helps our company daily. It eliminates loads of emails and file transferring. This program will help you or your company with image sharing and asset sharing. It is extremely easy to use and the lay out it clear. Quick syncing allows for almost immediate sharing and downloading of assets. Clear/Crisp display of images and playing videos through the portfolio even if they are not yet downloaded. Lots of additional labelling features, keywords and customization is endless.

Extensis portfolio helps our company view photography and packaging assets on quite a large scale. It has very quick syncing time which is beneficial for what it is used for. It is a great centralized program that eliminated a lot of problems we were before having before with accessibility to images and assets.

Extensis review by Stefano B.
Stefano B.

"DAM changed with Portfolio"

What do you like best?

Very useful to make one single media library from different ones. Easy to manage and to integrate with AD.

What do you dislike?

Galleries are only catalog specific. Should be better if they could be crossed on all catalogs.

Few problems when we upgraded to newer version.

Assets centralization decreases search times and productivity.

All marketing departments are now well connected to share medias and infos.

Extensis review by Sara J. M.
Sara J. M.

"Great Photo asset management "

What do you like best?

Easy to add assests and metadata. Customers can access files with simple searches.

What do you dislike?

Limited customization of NetPublish, (client website).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great management system for images. Adding Metadata is crucial in searching and finding images

Customers are able to search, view and download images from our Photography Archives. Storing and organizing assets,

Extensis review by Administrator

"Works as expected"

What do you like best?

We like its flexibility in configuration options.

What do you dislike?

It could have more options on the security side of things.

We had a large unwieldy repository of picture and video assets that was difficult to search. We're now able to give users an easy to use interface with which to add and search for these assets.

Extensis review by Administrator in Public Relations and Communications
Administrator in Public Relations and Communications

"Easy to use, great for photography management"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Simplified look and feel. The solution has the basic core functionality that makes it great for managing large numbers of image assets, especially in a photography heavy environment. The newest features have enhanced the product to compete with other vendors in the space.

What do you dislike?

The modular approach is great for companies looking to phase their approach to implementing a DAM. Some of the features would be better served as core to the product versus add-ons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is growing and becoming a bigger player in an area flooded with great vendors.

Managing and trafficking large numbers of image assets to a fast paced production team. The mobile tools help to get approvals instantly. Creative approval used to take days and with instant access decisions and changes can be made quickly and streamlined to the appropriate teams in a timely manner.

Extensis review by Leslie M.
Leslie M.

"Good platform for Enterprise DAM"

What do you like best?

The simple interface with most desired uses already configured.

What do you dislike?

I would like if the platform was built using a more open system so we could do in-house development to add onto this already great platform.

Organizing hundreds of thousands of company media assets that get lost in folder trees on a shared server into a simple organized and hosted solution that we can access/organize and tag to make finding relevant assets very fast.

Extensis review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"A good system for asset management"

What do you like best?

The keywording options are very well implemented.

What do you dislike?

The editing and uploading side is flash based so our users have trouble accessing it at times and weird glitches.

It helps us collect photos from a volunteer ministry at the church into one useable place.

Extensis review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Long time experience with Portfolio with various clients"

What do you like best?

Portfolio is an easy to use, full featured application that has been around for many years. it is a very good, affordable workgroup solution, and a very good, budget-minded enterprise solution. It has all the basic features you would expect of a DAM without a lot of bells and whistles.

What do you dislike?

Portfolio recently changed from offering the option of connection to an external database like MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server for their top end solution to an internal only database, which they claim will be as robust and is better optimized. As this is still a new offering I cannot attest to these claims. I will say that the connection to the external database was always a bit of a kludge in my opinion though it worked. It remains to be seen if this new version is trouble-free. Portfolio is not as robust as other enterprise products when it comes to video or user profile settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the number of assets and the number of users and the performance you expect to assess if this product will meet your needs. Don't expect this to be an enterprise product at the same level as much more expensive solutions.

Looking for a good quality, well-supported DAM solution for the workgroup and budget-minded enterprise customers. This does the job.

Extensis review by Allison S.
Allison S.

"Useful Enterprise Organization Tool"

What do you like best?

As the primary user loading data into the enterprise's Extensis Portfolio (primarily photos/media), I loved being able to search through the metadata to find exactly what I was looking for without having to manually scan through many different folder levels.

What do you dislike?

In the initial upload, I found that there was a lot of manual effort required on my part to get the needed metadata transfer. But I think that comes with the territory for any initial load into a new system.

There was no central digital media library. Having the files searchable by tags and metadata like date or file type saved time and also brought to light valuable historical files that had been essentially lost in the weeds.

Extensis review by User in Design
User in Design

"Working between offices"

What do you like best?

That we can add fonts to it, and team members in other offices have access to the same fonts.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's glitchy when adding new fonts

Recommendations to others considering the product

None at the moment

Cross office collaboration

Extensis review by Administrator in Public Safety
Administrator in Public Safety

"Gave order to choas"

What do you like best?

The abilty to control access to images so that different groups of people can see what they need but not what they don't.

What do you dislike?

Gallerys and folders can confuse those uploading material.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you set off on the right foot

I used to store my images all of over the place. This helped me sort out the mess but also put a system into place that assured future image finding happiness.

Administrator in Consumer Goods

"Great product that buckles our servers"

What do you like best?

The browser based UI is very user friendly and no additional software needs to be installed to access it.

What do you dislike?

The UI from the desktop top version is a little inconstant to the web version. Not sure if it is related to the software, our servers buckles down regularly when the organizing is accessing and downloading images.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The web based DAM for sharing assets could use a facelift.

Providing access to images and video content across the organizing in a central location with a search engine.

Extensis review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Clunky, slow, difficult to navigate"

What do you like best?

The ability to create multiple searches.

What do you dislike?

If assets are tagged incorrectly, you will not find what you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a fast connection to your server or you will not have a good experience.

Tracking and cataloging over 250,000 digital assets

Extensis review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Extensis portfolio"

What do you like best?

The user interface and multimedia abilities . it is great for r&d and organisation,

What do you dislike?

too much of infomation. the images sometimes are too flashy and standing out

Marketing and research. digital assets can be stored

Extensis review by Administrator in Packaging and Containers
Administrator in Packaging and Containers

"Good Solution for Asset Management"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, NetPublish portion that allows unlimited users

What do you dislike?

Extensis support and service, new versions are not sufficiently tested before release. Customers then become beta testers which is not good

managing marketing assets for global company

Learn more about Extensis Portfolio

Extensis Portfolio Videos

Learning about Extensis Portfolio?

* We monitor all Extensis Portfolio reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.