Fact Monster

Fact Monster is an online study tool used for 1st graders through high schoolers.

Work for Fact Monster?

Learning about Fact Monster?

Categories

Fact Monster Reviews

Showing 10 Fact Monster reviews
Fact Monster review by Bethany M.
Bethany M.

"Fact Monster - Ease but No Depth"

What do you like best?

I like the user-friendliness that comes with this website. Students of most ages can navigate the pages with ease. The tabs at the top help students to navigate between content areas. The "games" feature can be great to provide "brain breaks" for students while still encouraging the use of analytical and problem-solving skills.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Fact Monster does not address higher-order thinking, which is of utmost importance to today's approach to education. It addresses finding answers to simple questions such as "who, what, when, and where," but does not delve into deeper thinking questions such as "how, why, etc."

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fact Monster is a great filler activity and/or resource but does not deliver the depth-of-knowledge substance that we want for our students. In other words, it is great to fill a few minutes here and there but not for delving into deep research. It could be a great starting point for framing ideas and/or thoughts. Features such as the one titled "Day in History" or "Today's Birthday" could be great for helping to establish classroom routines or helping students make inter-disciplinary connections.

Fact Monster is a quickly accessible, user-friendly interface for students.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Fact Monster
Fact Monster review by Jessica T.
Jessica T.

"Straightforward and Simple"

What do you like best?

I have used Fact Monster primarily for the access to infirmation on different countries with the group of first grade students I work with for literacy enrichment. They spend a lot of time writing and learning basic research skills, which Fact Monster is perfect for!

What do you dislike?

I feel like there are a lot of ads on the page, which I don't mind (it keeps it free!) But which can be very distracting to students. It would be nice if there was a student view which quite take away the ads. Also, sometimes there is SO MUCH writing on one page that it can be overwhelming prior to learning how to sort it visually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know what you are wanting to find - It's easy to use if you have a direction in mind! There is so much information on the sight, however, that going just to look for SOMETHING can be overwhelming! Unless you just are a curious person and want to absorb new information - then it's just right for you!

It's very nice to have so much kid-friendly information in one place. The web is so packed full of options, I always appreciate finding places to simplify the process.

What Study Tools solution do you use?

Fact Monster review by Gigi G.
Gigi G.

"The Friendliest Monster"

What do you like best?

This program is amazing when working with kids. It's easy to navigate, extremely user friendly, and breaks difficult concepts down into easy to understand vernacular to better explain it to students. It's a really cute website though - adorable and so easy to use.

What do you dislike?

At times it can be a little too simplistic, but I still think it's a great program. The graphics and design themselves are clearly geared towards kids, but I don't really have a problem with that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I mentioned before, it's a really great website, but can be simple at times. It's perfect for kids and when working with students, but isn't the best resource for adult to adult interaction or teaching.

I work with students and highly educated professionals on a regular basis, but I work with students far less. This helps me to reel myself back in and make sure that what I'm telling them makes sense and is in a tone that is understandable and kid-friendly.

Fact Monster review by Kimberly C.
Kimberly C.

"Fact Monster has it facts straight. "

What do you like best?

Fact Monster is a utopia of value resources for students, parents, and teachers. The one thing I really love by this website is that it puts everything in its user fingertip. I am talking about almanacs, maps, encyclopedias and dictionaries just to name a few. I don't have to worry about my children searching the Internet for information and running up on inappropriate material. In addition, I love that the information written on this site is contributed by experts. Unlike some other reference sites which allow anyone to contribute to them without verifying information first. it is very important to people when they seek out information that it is factual and written by contents experts. This site offers that and more. The site is very user and kid friendly. It is aesthetically pleasing and is updated often with now topics. In addition the site also offer games to lay. And the best of all, there is no fee! Moreover the site was created and designed by a reputable company in the education community, Pearson Education

What do you dislike?

The fact that Fact Monster has a lot of information is also one of its challenges. Too much information can send users into infirmary on overload.

As a parent, I am always trying to guard and regulate what my children are exposed to on the Internet. We all know that links can me misleading and deceptive. This put our children in harms way. FactMonster solves this issue by putting a wealth of issue in one place.

Fact Monster review by Consultant in Higher Education
Consultant in Higher Education

"Useful product for K-12 teachers and students"

What do you like best?

The website and software helps test and quiz many of the common things that are taught in k-12 schools today. The teaching students at my university are encouraged to use this to help with teaching these subjects to their students.

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike anything about this method of learning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you haven't used Fact Monster yet, go to the website and try it out and see how well the programs work to help the students of today.

Teaching and lectures alone cannot convey the information that a student needs to fully learn the subject. Websites such as Fact Monster help re-enforce the information in the lectures and the students can go at their own pace to learn this supplemental teaching. Students are doing better on their tests and absorb the information longer when using supplemental training.

Fact Monster review by krystal w.
krystal w.

"Our students love this!"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that this program teaches and helps with homework and projects but also makes it super fun and interactive for the kids. The games are fun and they incorporate quizzes and trivia as well. It keeps the kids engaged and actively learning.

What do you dislike?

So far I have not found anything that I feel needs to be changed or anything that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you check to make sure the work and information matches the age/school grade that you are needing

Not specifically any business issues but definitely teaching and learning benefits.

Fact Monster review by Administrator

" Great product but needs some help "

What do you like best?

I love how each entry is written in a kid friendly form not too complex I like how it's organized easily under the different curriculum areas I like that it's a reputable site for students to go for research and use as a reference

What do you dislike?

I wish you could tap on an entry and it would take you to a visual that's colorful clear and accurate My students need visual assistance learning because they're second language learners and this would make it 100 times more useful for me in the classroom

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this as an encyclopedia but know that it does not have any visuals to accompany learning

Searching for information with kids is a challenge this website is useful if it they made some changes

Fact Monster review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Find the Fillers with Fact Monster"

What do you like best?

It's great for additional, wacky, information about topics you are covering in class. It's great to find those things that will hook the kids and spark their interest.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an app. I would love to load it on our sets of iPods and iPads.

It's a one stop shop for interesting information. It's a go to area for what I need to find.

Fact Monster review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Review of Fact Monster"

What do you like best?

They have a large variety of subjects to choose from, making it easy to use for most children.

What do you dislike?

Website design could use a little work.

I don't have any business problems at this moment.

Fact Monster review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Research for student projects"

What do you like best?

Lots of information.

Concise

Ease of student use

What do you dislike?

I do not have any feedback regarding dislike of this software. I have used this with students and they enjoy the ease of use, and I enjoy the credibility of the resources for student use.

student research

finding credible sources

Learning about Fact Monster?

* We monitor all Fact Monster reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Categories