Fedora

Fedora is a Linux-based operating system, a collection of software that makes your computer run.

Work for Fedora?

Learning about Fedora?

Fedora Reviews

Showing 51 Fedora reviews
Fedora review by <span>mary carmen v.</span>
mary carmen v.
Validated Review

fedora one of the most robust

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like it Because there is enough information, Fedora has a huge user base, and with this I do not mean that it is the biggest of all or something, but that its users are always willing to help new ones, and you will always find some other enthusiastic user that write their tips in a blog to which you can directly ask any of your questions.

What do you dislike?

Many hardware devices are not designed for the base of your operating system. Therefore its installation can be tedious.

- Many windows applications can not be executed. Therefore any complex windows document (eg: docx, xlsx, pptx, xps, etc.) is difficult to work

For linux there is a very small number of installable games (which does not prevent that they can be played thanks to emulators or virtual machines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Used by NASA, Be that as it may, the important point is that Fedora is a distribution widely used by different people around the world regardless of their work, lifestyle or knowledge.

I currently use fedora, as a regular basis of my operating system, I daily virtualize a machine in fedora for the administration of my vmware virtual platform.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Fedora
Fedora review by <span>Ricardo C.</span>
Ricardo C.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The Fedora system is a great final user desktop interface, a lot of years I was Windows user, about 15 or more years, and this year I took a option to switch my main operation system on the laptop, since started use Fedora system the mayors application, features and tools from Windows have a similar or equivalent on this Linux distribution, using GNome to manage my user interface and utilities to compress/descompress, officematic, pdf reader, Internet browser, now on my daily task I can use about 95 - 98% full Fedora system.

What do you dislike?

My experience is Fedora have a lot of update, commonly each week I recieved notification least twice times to update the system, and few update I was broke a core function like desktop calendar or battery status, 'another broke tool was VMWare Workstation/player, after update I cant recovery this features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test and test this system, it's a great option to desktop user, currently a great user experience using this desktop, and it have a big ecosystem and a lot of suppot forum with ton of information to solve many issues and easies the life of the newies on this world.

Get a Linux skill on my daily operation and permite nearly to opensource technology, we have a internal ecosystem with system and using Fedora they can run without issue the servers applications and tools, and more transparent operation.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Fedora review by <span>Pablo Francisco P.</span>
Pablo Francisco P.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Coming from highly customizable Linux distributions, such as Gentoo and Archlinux, I needed to reach a sweet spot between stability, frequently updated packages versions and user-adjustable system. I found Fedora as a good candidate for that sweet spot and thus has it proven to be since release 23.

During the last 4 years I've been using Fedora at home and at work, never happened that a system upgrade stopped my system from working. I have a laptop which has been through 3 mayor distribution release upgrades without having to re-install the system, just keep pushing the distribution version up with "dnf system-upgrade"

What do you dislike?

Doesn't provide out-of-the box compatibility with Nvidia closed drivers whereas, for example, Ubuntu offers a GUI assistant which makes it easy to install and load closed kernel modules for GPUs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid of moving form other distributions, it doesn't disappoint. Once you install a Fedora release, you'll be able to keep updated with the latest packages and releases ... for years and years.

From my developer Desktop machine to my cluster of 6 Raspberries Pi 3, going through databases & web server machines.

Fedora review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

Fedora For School Assignments

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like how the environment is stable for the most part. It's easy to navigate, I was easily able to set up through a virtual environment. My online course through BYU-I has us do all our lab assignments within the Fedora VM environment. Is great because the professor was able to preload everything and have it all set up beforehand.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have anything to comment on far as dislikes. There was on time that it crashed on me and I had to reload my Fedora environment. Luckily I saved my work outside the VM. But the whole crashing may have to do with the VM software, however, profession mentioned we should save our work after each lab so that tells me it crashes often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm personally impressed with Fedora and how it has allowed me to have a positive course experience. The structure of the course, created by leveraging Fedora is well done. I suggest Fedora push to break more into the educational industry. More and more courses are being taught via online, and more and more are computer science related. Fedora software can really facilitate this expansion.

The business problem we that is being solved by Fedora is how to implement SQL oracle lab work for students when they don't physically have access to the school network. You want each student to start off in the same environment but individually be able to modify it. Fedora solved this issue. We all pre-loaded a copy of the Fedora environment on to our personal computers and access it through a VM tool. All modification of files is saved within my personal environment, I have access to the terminal, SQL developer, Firefox, gEdit, all application loaded into the environment. I'm impressed at how the Fedora environment really allows me to complete my course labs and allows me to have real-world experience and build that skill.

Fedora review by User in Information Technology and Services
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The first thing that I comes to mind is that the lost cost to entry that this distro has, like most linux flavors allows users can get up and running with only a bit of upfront time commitment. It has very recent packages, leaving less backporting than a CentOS variety. All major DE's and WM's are available.

What do you dislike?

If you're a KDE fan, this may not be your best choice. It doesn't seem as polished as other varieties such as Kubuntu. There are some packages and configurations that other distros have standard that needs post-install configuration in this one.

Creating multiple developer workstations that have a desktop environment and run multiple vagrant VMs. It's easy to install, easy to update and easy to upgrade. Regular long term support releases make it easy to plan upgrades.

Fedora review by <span>Héctor B.</span>
Héctor B.

Made for Advance users

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Performance and Safety. Fedora is a powerful tool but the best of all is the wide configuration that you can use in order to make it more secure. You can do special firewall configurations and it comes with special features for coding.

What do you dislike?

Not for domestic users. Fedora is great if you are heading to IT use, coding, etc. You will never stop learning with Fedora but Is not just for everybody. If you are a new user or a "domestic user" stay away from Fedora, is just too much to handle for newbies in Open Source.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool if your an advance user in Open Source OS.

The need of an advance OS in order to achieve a next level in open source use.

Learning about Fedora?

* We monitor all Fedora reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.