FileVault

FileVault is a disk encryption program in Mac OS X 10.3 and later.

Work for FileVault?

Learning about FileVault?

FileVault Reviews

Showing 6 FileVault reviews
FileVault review by <span>Kenny B.</span>
Kenny B.

"Encrypt your Laptop"

What do you like best?

I really like that FileVault is included in the OS. This makes it very easy to administer and work with. No extra software to buy or install, it is just there.

What do you dislike?

Takes a while to encrypt the drive for the first time, after that, it runs just as fast as with no encryption.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If there is any fear or a lost or stolen Mac, use FileVault. It is included in your OS and will give you peace of mind when it comes to your data being in the wrong hands.

Using FileVault has eliminated some of the worry from our management. By having the whole drive encrypted, it makes for better security in the unlikely event one of our outside MacBooks are lost or stolen. We have the peace of mind that none of our data is getting into the wrong hands.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about FileVault
FileVault review by <span>Santiago M.</span>
Santiago M.

"Seamless encryption, setup and forget!"

What do you like best?

Have been using FileVault since I bought my first Mac. I'm on my fourth now in between personal and professional computers, and I've rest assured that since I first turned on every one of them, that all content and information on my disk is encrypted. Seamless, easy, and nicely integrated to the systems OS preferences.

What do you dislike?

I've been sharing one of my laptops lately, and further permission features would go well, since it would only let you opt for asking for admin password "to access wide-system preferences".

Recommendations to others considering the product

When diving in such a wide arrange of options in the market, using the native encryption of the OS is something I value greatly. Check it out!

These days are calling for tightening one's system and network security. I rely on FileVault to encrypt the HDs on my Macs.

What Encryption solution do you use?

FileVault review by <span>Simon C.</span>
Simon C.

"FileVault helps us increasing our data security, but have a few downsides"

What do you like best?

FileVault data encryption is built-in into latest version of MacOS and for this reason it's totally seamless. FileVault also uses the most modern data encryptions protocols what making it very secure.

What do you dislike?

In opposite to other data encryption software such as Microsoft BitLocker, FileVault seems to affect computers performance badly, even the latest generation of MacBook Pro with extremely fast SSD drives. Moreover, FileVault have a few "known issues" that several users reported and that we experience in our company too, where some computers refuse to boot because of some kind of corruption with FileVault, so we had to turn off encryption (de-encrypt all datas) to get computer booting back again and then turn it on again, then it work for a few months. We experienced this issue on MacOS Sierra (10.11) but not so far with MacOS High-Sierra (10.12), however since High Sierra is on the market for only 2 months and that FileVault remain unchanged in this version, we anticipate some issues later. Another known issue with FileVault is in business environment where computers are hooked to Active Directory for account password management, there's often some poor syncing between AD password and FileVault password causing headache to users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need extremely high performance from your computer, such as movie or graphic processing, I would not recommend turning on FileVault because it surely decrease SSD speed by 15%. If you are having a older Mac computer with rotating hard drive, forget FileVault definitely.

FileVault improve a lot our data security especially on laptop computers that are always on the move and than are at higher risk to be stolen. Even with a strong profile password, anyone can stole datas by booting the laptop in "Target Mode" or by removing physically the hard drive/SSD. However with FileVault enabled, it's making data theft impossible.

FileVault review by <span>Saul J.</span>
Saul J.

"Easy, safe, effective full disk encryption"

What do you like best?

The added security of having all of my data encrypted as well as the ability to wipe the drive remotely using iCloud if necessary. The strength of the full disk encryption. File encryption is a background process.

What do you dislike?

The idea of being unable to access the drive if I lose the password and encryption key. No option to encrypt removable storage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Print out encryption key and keep safe

With GDPR and privacy becoming a major concern it has allowed me to use my personal computer to store some documents locally

FileVault review by <span>David F.</span>
David F.

"Work with students in enterprise to establish firevault if needed"

What do you like best?

It is a good security feature to help guard files in case of theft or any malicious intent.

What do you dislike?

It can cause problems if there is any hard drive failure or if any work needs to be done it can cause issues. In addition if your password is to be forgotten then there can be severe data loss

FileVault is used in situations where students are concerned for safety and security of their computers files

FileVault review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Apple file vault"

What do you like best?

I can encrypt my system without much difference being made to my computer or files

What do you dislike?

Always the possibility of losing all info

Recommendations to others considering the product

File vault continues to improve! Protect yourself!

I have important information, passwords, files, etc. On system that can be protected.

Learning about FileVault?

* We monitor all FileVault reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.