FileVault

FileVault is a disk encryption program in Mac OS X 10.3 and later.

Work for FileVault?

Learning about FileVault?

FileVault Reviews

Showing 32 FileVault reviews
FileVault review by Erik W.
Erik W.

"Does what's needed, but multiple users are a pain"

What do you like best?

If you need to encrypt the disk of your Mac, start with what's built-in unless you have other specific needs. Since it serves as a boot lock as well, you're going to get an extra level of protection for your system. When paired with Jamf, you have a fully automated solution for encrypting your Mac fleet.

What do you dislike?

Multiple users are a real pain. This really points to Apple's focus on the individual rather than the corporation. If you need to encrypt multi-user machines (think a walk-up machine or a student computer lab) while maintaining the integrity of your encrypted files, you'll have to do some hacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think through your needs. Single user machines are an excellent fit. Make sure you have a centralized management solution for key escrow (e.g. Jamf). If you are primarily multi-user machines, make sure you have a plan for managing and automating adding and purging securetoken users to enable/disable filevault access. Also make sure your user policies are appropriate for shared-use machines. Any file permissions will be inherited with a file-vault unlock, so a compromised admin account means access to the machine and the data.

We have a need to secure our business data in the event of device theft. FileVault (paired with Jamf) gives us a no-cost solution that is secure and provides IT access to endpoint data without user presence. Through Jamf, we get institutional keys and escrowed keys to be used for accessing and decrypting data, while still maintaining data security. High Sierra introduced some difficulties for us with the wonky securetoken implementation, but that was eventually resolved.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about FileVault
FileVault review by Jan P.
Jan P.

"FileVault is a great internal OS Encryption System."

What do you like best?

It's simple; it just has one simple button to get started.

Very descriptive of what the FileVault tab application is going to do with your Storage drive.

You can use your machine while the program is processing the encryption and also the process of decrypting is quite simple and straightforward.

What do you dislike?

There are no cons to this program that I have encountered.

You could say that turning off FileVault seems to take longer to process fully.

However, this seems somewhat logical to happen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is honestly not a better solution than this for the macOS, use it.

I am not aware of any other software for the macOS that can do everything FileVault can in just one click of a button. And the best part is that it's already integrated into the system, so how can anyone top that since it's Apple approved.

Security problems, like cloning, data stealing.

FileVault keeps the entire Storage drive safe, with a single password and military grade encryption.

What Encryption solution do you use?

FileVault review by Joel P.
Joel P.

"Personal and Enterprise FileVault Deployments"

What do you like best?

FileVault 2 features incredibly low overhead, allowing your system to perform as if encryption isn't there. This will be your own experience if you turn it on from the start before you start familiarizing yourself with the system. With FileVault on I am still able to achieve 2.833GB/sec writes and 2.46GB/sec reads. FileVault has important personal recovery options that everyone needs to pay attention to and follow carefully. It also has the highest reasonable encryption standards that will deter pretty much anyone except state actors from getting access to your data.

What do you dislike?

Apple has yet to provide an enterprise-wide management option for FileVault. While 3rd party vendors do a lot of the work here, it would mean more if Apple did work here to make sure we have a sustained path forward with FileVault.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a strong macOS MDM solution for managing FileVault and recovery.

Free, government-grade volume encryption that just works.

FileVault review by Kenny B.
Kenny B.

"Encrypt your Laptop"

What do you like best?

I really like that FileVault is included in the OS. This makes it very easy to administer and work with. No extra software to buy or install, it is just there.

What do you dislike?

Takes a while to encrypt the drive for the first time, after that, it runs just as fast as with no encryption.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If there is any fear or a lost or stolen Mac, use FileVault. It is included in your OS and will give you peace of mind when it comes to your data being in the wrong hands.

Using FileVault has eliminated some of the worry from our management. By having the whole drive encrypted, it makes for better security in the unlikely event one of our outside MacBooks are lost or stolen. We have the peace of mind that none of our data is getting into the wrong hands.

FileVault review by Simon C.
Simon C.

"FileVault helps us increasing our data security, but have a few downsides"

What do you like best?

FileVault data encryption is built-in into latest version of MacOS and for this reason it's totally seamless. FileVault also uses the most modern data encryptions protocols what making it very secure.

What do you dislike?

In opposite to other data encryption software such as Microsoft BitLocker, FileVault seems to affect computers performance badly, even the latest generation of MacBook Pro with extremely fast SSD drives. Moreover, FileVault have a few "known issues" that several users reported and that we experience in our company too, where some computers refuse to boot because of some kind of corruption with FileVault, so we had to turn off encryption (de-encrypt all datas) to get computer booting back again and then turn it on again, then it work for a few months. We experienced this issue on MacOS Sierra (10.11) but not so far with MacOS High-Sierra (10.12), however since High Sierra is on the market for only 2 months and that FileVault remain unchanged in this version, we anticipate some issues later. Another known issue with FileVault is in business environment where computers are hooked to Active Directory for account password management, there's often some poor syncing between AD password and FileVault password causing headache to users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need extremely high performance from your computer, such as movie or graphic processing, I would not recommend turning on FileVault because it surely decrease SSD speed by 15%. If you are having a older Mac computer with rotating hard drive, forget FileVault definitely.

FileVault improve a lot our data security especially on laptop computers that are always on the move and than are at higher risk to be stolen. Even with a strong profile password, anyone can stole datas by booting the laptop in "Target Mode" or by removing physically the hard drive/SSD. However with FileVault enabled, it's making data theft impossible.

FileVault review by Sachi V.
Sachi V.

"Love for encryption "

What do you like best?

Personally, I love that file vault allows me to easily encrypt my data on my Mac with ease as I am not a heavy PC user. It is great to have this software available to me on my Macbook. Additionally, I love that it works seamlessly in the background which means I don't have to wait for it to finish before I can use my computer.

What do you dislike?

One thing I dislike is the toll it takes on my system resources, granted newer macs are powerful, but I feel that after a while it has affected my battery life slightly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't have extremely sensitive data and don't want to go through the pain of encrypting and decrypting data, I would use something else as it does affect your system. However, if you are in need of something like this I would definitely recommend

File vault allows me to secure data that I wouldn't want getting into the hands of others in a quick and easy manner.

FileVault review by Joe T.
Joe T.

"MAC OSX File Vault review"

What do you like best?

With FileVault enabled, all of the files on your Mac’s startup disk are encrypted at disk level using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), with 128-bit blocks and a 256-bit disk encryption key. These are the encryption standards recommended by the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology. We recommend this be the base for which all of our client's data is stored.

What do you dislike?

The performance of the MAc' take a hit as the processor has to decrypt and encrypt, taking away processing power from the MAC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in the financial services industry and some of your people are using MAC's, you must ensure that they have a system that can encrypt your client's data. As managers and administrators we have to be leaders when it comes to our independent users.

Mac users are able to securely send and receive sensitive client data via their MACS.

FileVault review by Santiago M.
Santiago M.

"Seamless encryption, setup and forget!"

What do you like best?

Have been using FileVault since I bought my first Mac. I'm on my fourth now in between personal and professional computers, and I've rest assured that since I first turned on every one of them, that all content and information on my disk is encrypted. Seamless, easy, and nicely integrated to the systems OS preferences.

What do you dislike?

I've been sharing one of my laptops lately, and further permission features would go well, since it would only let you opt for asking for admin password "to access wide-system preferences".

Recommendations to others considering the product

When diving in such a wide arrange of options in the market, using the native encryption of the OS is something I value greatly. Check it out!

These days are calling for tightening one's system and network security. I rely on FileVault to encrypt the HDs on my Macs.

FileVault review by Saul J.
Saul J.

"Easy, safe, effective full disk encryption"

What do you like best?

The added security of having all of my data encrypted as well as the ability to wipe the drive remotely using iCloud if necessary. The strength of the full disk encryption. File encryption is a background process.

What do you dislike?

The idea of being unable to access the drive if I lose the password and encryption key. No option to encrypt removable storage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Print out encryption key and keep safe

With GDPR and privacy becoming a major concern it has allowed me to use my personal computer to store some documents locally

FileVault review by Nicholas G.
Nicholas G.

"Why you absolutely should encrypt your Mac with FileVault! "

What do you like best?

The entire contents of the startup drive are encrypted. When your computer is powered off, the drive’s data is fully unrecoverable without a password. It also lets you use Find My Mac to wipe your drive in a matter of seconds remotely.

What do you dislike?

There are no negatives to using FileVault.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a free and excellent solution for encrypting your end users data at rest FileVault should be considered the industry standard for Mac users.

Protecting sensitive data at rest for end users.

FileVault review by User in Political Organization
User in Political Organization

"Protect your Mac materials"

What do you like best?

FileVault has given me the opportunity to save all my materials on my Mac. I never have to worry that I will lose my materials and if my computer were to be stolen it's protected. I use my Mac on daily basis for both personal and business. Thus it's essential I have a secure backup system in place for no security risk or files lost.

What do you dislike?

One thing I do not like about FileVault is with just like any software on a Mac it takes time to learn the functions and process. Another thing I sometimes find difficult with FileVault is the inability to manage settings unless signed in under the owner. The difficult part is by using my Mac for personal and business sometimes I want to determine my own settings for personal documents that are unrelated to the business files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

FileVault is a great option for Mac users who like using it for both personal and business. It's a great start to protecting my technology. Apple will likely continue to make improvements thus creating a more secure and efficient tool.

As I mentioned I use my Mac on a daily basis to perform work and personal task. FileVault has allowed me to securely protect my computer whether I am in or out of the office. I know that I can restore my Mac to it's last condition. Also the back log of saved encryptions allows me to pull old files which have gotten lost.

FileVault review by Akansha S.
Akansha S.

"Likely"

What do you like best?

Operating filevault is easy to operate and work with .. everyone should work on it atleast for once you will feel and amazing intangible expirence .......go fr it without any second thought

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about thus .. the only thing it need to improve is more voice quality may increase its feature and find it more attractive ... ya go for it nothing to hide

The business problem i am solving is to save my files at a place where no one can reach . Full protection with any malware i am gettung is simply awesome . It is time saving and cost saving

FileVault review by Mysty L.
Mysty L.

"Great for encrypting your startup disk!"

What do you like best?

I like that this tool helps to prevent unauthorized access to my important documents, media files and content on my startup disk for my computer. It makes everything so much secure.

What do you dislike?

The only disadvantage is that if you forget or lose your password then your files are also lost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't lose your password!

Being able to automatically encrypt files that are added on my desktop is one of the major business problems being solved. This makes our documents, especially internal documents, really secure and avoidable to be accessed by outside users.

FileVault review by Bross t.
Bross t.

"File vault has been the best software I have used to encrypt data. "

What do you like best?

It Safely stores client information. What ever your reason, it will encrypt your data on the fly and will work seamlessly in the background. It forces all users to have to re-enter their password, this way the data security is kept at maximum.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about this software.. it's a perfect one for health care systems, business set up

I have a health care business and I had problems with my data management.. file vault has assisted me to store clients data safely

FileVault review by Prashanthi M.
Prashanthi M.

"File vault steeps up the data security easily."

What do you like best?

It is a very good security feature to help guard files in case of theft or any malicious intent.

What do you dislike?

In case of hard drive failure, all the information could be lost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need extremely high performance from your computer, eg. movie or graphic processing, I would not recommend turning on FileVault as it surely decreases the SSD speed.

It has allowed me to use my personal computer to store some documents locally. My primary concern was Privacy.

FileVault review by Rahul N.
Rahul N.

"Best protector for confidential files"

What do you like best?

The user interface is very easy to use and the protection of the vault is top quality..the software functions and themes are pretty much attractive & easy to use..it also has cloud features.

What do you dislike?

There is little bit stuckment while exploring big data files..and covers up large internal spaces.but it is much better than other vaults.

Safe storage of confidential files...

Easy to access any where by systems and devices.

Great user interface.

FileVault review by David F.
David F.

"Work with students in enterprise to establish firevault if needed"

What do you like best?

It is a good security feature to help guard files in case of theft or any malicious intent.

What do you dislike?

It can cause problems if there is any hard drive failure or if any work needs to be done it can cause issues. In addition if your password is to be forgotten then there can be severe data loss

FileVault is used in situations where students are concerned for safety and security of their computers files

FileVault review by Katrine S.
Katrine S.

"Keeps me safe"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use (don't really have to do much to use it) to know forsure that my computer is being taken care of.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it can affect an account if i'm logged into another account on my computer.

We are able to keep our private documents safe

FileVault review by Ronald K.
Ronald K.

"File vault review "

What do you like best?

I like the fact of the encryption so that if your hard drive is removed they cannot access your files.

What do you dislike?

Having to use an app to secure my files rather than it being built in.

No problems, benefits are the security and peace of mind of ease using the app.

FileVault review by User in Internet

"Perfect way to encrypt your personal laptop"

What do you like best?

I've enjoyed that FileVault is apart of the Apple OS system while allowing the system to perform in a modest and undetected manner. Now, all files and content are encrypted.

What do you dislike?

Encryption initially takes a little bit of time and the fact that there is only an admin password is a little subpar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It would help if it was able to handle the graphics processing needed for high performing programming. i.e movies.

The biggest aspect that we were solving by using FileVault is security or our hard drives.

FileVault review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Like Time machine it works seemlessly "

What do you like best?

For me it has been a real set and forgot situation on occasion I’ve noticed that time machine can take a slight amount longer but it isn’t quite noticeable.

What do you dislike?

If anything it might slow my (older) Mac down a bit but in general I can’t say it’s an issue.

For the industry I work with and clients who are protective of new ideas this has been a way for me to fortify our services. When nessesary our offering is now that little bit more robust.

FileVault review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Okay file storage "

What do you like best?

It is an average file storage with normal retrieving lagging speed of delivery timing and storage. . Can easily connect with all my devices.

What do you dislike?

It works like most apple products not always set up like a normal person would think it would be categorized and flow. Not as easy to understand the hierarchy when you are use too Microsoft..

Storage and sharing of files easily and quickly across many users. Can share information quickly with just more than one person at a time.

FileVault review by Aaron C.
Aaron C.

"Never get locked out of account again!!!"

What do you like best?

It’s what we all want and need! Never have to worry about Hipaa issues as everything is encrypted

What do you dislike?

A little anxiety about hackers is all. Since it’s all encrypted of it’s breached: everything is theirs

The need for proving to Medicare medical files are locked

FileVault review by Luis V.
Luis V.

"Calidad precio"

What do you like best?

Equipos que duran muchisimos años, con buena estetica y muy buenos detalles

What do you dislike?

el precio, la gran cantidad de aplicaciones que no son gratuitas

Recommendations to others considering the product

Versiones economicas

es un computador de mano, puedes hacer millones de cosas desde cualquiera de sus disppositivos

FileVault review by Adam S.
Adam S.

"Best disk encryption option for Mac"

What do you like best?

Built into MacOS, no additional cost, keys can be escrowed by MDM

What do you dislike?

Apple hasn't been clear about changes coming to 10.14 including "secure token"

Provide full disk encryption to secure data on Macs

FileVault review by Administrator

"Buenísima herramienta de seguridad "

What do you like best?

Permite encriptar información de forma cómoda y segura. Alto grado de confidencialidad.

What do you dislike?

Hay un pequeño problema o desventaja con la velocidad en la que realiza el operativo. Ya que al activarse, engloba todo el sistema operativo y no únicamente no las carpetas que deseamos encriptar.

Encriptar archivos para la máxima seguridad y protección de estos

FileVault review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Security "

What do you like best?

I like that it is fast and gives me peace of mind by providing me with a high grade encryption.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like that I can’t recover the password or key. Slow encryption and decryption.

To help prevent unauthorized users

FileVault review by User in Computer Software

"Filevault for everyone"

What do you like best?

It keeps your data as safe as can be for a minimum amount of extra effort

What do you dislike?

The only thing to dislike is the few extra seconds of boot time or wake from sleep time

keeps data safe for corporate security

FileVault review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Apple file vault"

What do you like best?

I can encrypt my system without much difference being made to my computer or files

What do you dislike?

Always the possibility of losing all info

Recommendations to others considering the product

File vault continues to improve! Protect yourself!

I have important information, passwords, files, etc. On system that can be protected.

FileVault review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great tool to have piece of mind about your personal data."

What do you like best?

The best thing about FileVault is how it provides security without affecting performance

What do you dislike?

At this present moment I cannot think of any disadvantage.

Securing your data is major concern in today's world, and FileVault helps with that.

FileVault review by User in Higher Education

"FileVault is a life saver."

What do you like best?

I like the feeling of protection when using this.

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything bad to say. I'm an avid apple lover!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using this. It can help apple users immensely!

It helps us with security.

FileVault review by User

"Best encryption"

What do you like best?

Fiability and robust and good for work in company

What do you dislike?

Is really expensive to buy some software and hardware

Can save our confidential documents

Learning about FileVault?

* We monitor all FileVault reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.