Final Cut Pro X

Create stunning 3D titles in just a few clicks. Adjust the look, lighting, animation, and more with simple controls that generate studio-quality titles.

Work for Final Cut Pro X?

Learning about Final Cut Pro X?

Final Cut Pro X Reviews

Showing 181 Final Cut Pro X reviews
Final Cut Pro X review by Isabel W.
Isabel W.

"Quick and intuitive software"

What do you like best?

The interface is so clean and easy to use. I love the dark aesthetic of the interface, and the range of things you can do to make your video exactly how you want it to be. Using this software was completely natural. I am an intermediate user of the software, and I was able to teach my coworkers the basics (and even slightly more advanced) features of Final Cut Pro X!

What do you dislike?

It might be my non-expert level of use, but I get confused with the difference between "Event"/"Project"/"Library" folders in the application. It always works itself out, but I would like a more intuitive difference between the 3 folder subcategories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

YouTube tutorials are a great resource for truly mastering this software! There are endless possibilities with this software, and you can use it successfully as a complete beginner or a professional video editor.

I collaborated with 3 coworkers on editing an alcohol awareness video for college students. This software made the project super easy because it was easy to transfer our work from computer to computer and share ideas, and mark sections that needed work!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Final Cut Pro X
Final Cut Pro X review by Jonathan D.
Jonathan D.

"Weekly original long from video production for the web."

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is a easy to learn and easy to use video production application. It is so solidly developed, we have yet to experience any significant issues in our production model. From importing a 60gb file, processing the video, adding lower thirds, and exporting mixed media, everything just works.

What do you dislike?

I do wish the export options were updated a little more often to keep up with the online options, but when the updates do come, they work 100%.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Final Cut is cheaper, and has better customer support than Premier. No recurring monthly or annual renewal costs to budget for.

Final Cut Pro X has made the weekly processing of hour long video content simple and straightforward. We are able to take files directly from our Capture System of Video Devices Pix 260 decks, process the files on the very SSD's that the content was recorded to, and return the media back to the production line in less than a day.

What Video Editing solution do you use?

Final Cut Pro X review by Raina L.
Raina L.

"Final Cut Pro X is my favorite video editing software "

What do you like best?

What I like best about Final Cut Pro X is how seamless it is to use. If you've ever used iMovie, you're in luck -- this software is very reminiscent of that one, as they're both made by Apple. I've used Apple products all my life and prefer their products over anyone else's. The same goes for their softwares. They're so easy to use, beautiful to look at, and powerful for creation.

What do you dislike?

Although there aren't many things I dislike about this software, I would say that I dislike how cluttered my libraries can get when I'm working with a lot of footage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be creative with it. There are so many things you can do with this software, so try not to just do the minimum. Let your creativity shine and try out all of the features, such as using the keyer to incorporate green screens, something I enjoy doing very much.

Final Cut Pro X is benefitting business by providing creators with the simplest editing software. You can also get more creative with Final Cut as opposed to other softwares I've used, because it's so much easier to do what you envision to do in your video.

Final Cut Pro X review by Roman Y.
Roman Y.

"Perfect tool for video montage for Macs"

What do you like best?

- Price in comparison with Adobe products

- You can edit 4K video on old 2013 Macbook Pro without any troubles

- Very easy to learn, also a lot of tutorials on Youtube

- Have integrated plugins to clear audio signla, it's very important if you record audio from internal camera mic

- Nice color correction tool. If you record video from several cameras, you can make parts of video look the same with a few clicks

What do you dislike?

- You shouldl convert h265 video to edit it

- No integrated plugin for noise reduction

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool to make videos if you have Mac. Price is lower in comparison with Adobe product. Very smooth and simple editing even if you are a beginner.

We did drafts of advertising video for our product. It's a very fast way to create preview and then add some animations in Motion and you have a ready video. Color correction tools and plugins works fast, you can preview your video in realtime and understand what's the final result will be.

Final Cut Pro X review by Cayleigh G.
Cayleigh G.

"Best video editing software by far"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is revolutionary. I used Final Cut Pro before this version came out and they are worlds apart- the user interface has improved to a level I wasn’t aware it could before I saw it. Final Cut allows you to do everything you need to do for your videos and more.

What do you dislike?

Crashes and memory storage- I run into issues a lot where my project gets too big and Final Cut can’t handle it, and either stops working with the app running or crashes entirely every 15 minutes or so of editing after that point. That, and the render files take up so much space that my terabyte drive fills up regularly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the best

Literally everything video production-wise. I use Final Cut every day for everything I do. There’s so much you can do in editing if you just look for and learn how to use the right tools. It takes some practice and getting used to quick keys, etc. but it really is an amazingly useful software once you have a basic knowledge of how to use it (which isn’t hard at all with the newer interface, I promise).

Final Cut Pro X review by Brendan C.
Brendan C.

"A step down in every way"

What do you like best?

Final cut pro x has a very slick interface. It will make even the most amateur of video editors feel like they're in a pro suite.

Certain things like handles for dissolves, tranistions and fade are well thought out.

The addition of MXF editing has kept the software somewhat relevant in the editing ecosystem.

Background/Auto editing is an interesting feature.

What do you dislike?

While it might be slick, Final Cut Pro X takes steps back in almost every direction from 7. Not only that, but it fails to stay competitive in the professional video editing environment.

The file handling is uncecessarily complicated. It should be bin/folder based but instead forces iMovie-like events and date based folders. File encoding is also needlessly bloated and unclear.

Doing simple effects and custom workflows as nearly impossible as Final Cut X relies more on built in templates and preset effects rather than giving the editor power to create their own.

Probably the worst aspect is that files exported from Final Cut X can be glitchy and unreliable- to the point where as a broadcast station we have dissallowed exports from Final Cut X entirely.

I've had an entire timeline disappear before and had to restart - only to find out later it was a visual glitch and was fixable by erasing the preferences.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Switch to premiere. Final cut is not an industry-level editing software. Learning premiere will be investing in a software that is used in the industry and create a better quality product.

Video editing for beginners not for broadcast.

Final Cut Pro X review by Lindsie H.
Lindsie H.

"10/10 would recommend"

What do you like best?

I like that FCPX has the magnetic timeline, which makes it easier to edit my clips together. I also appreciate how clean the program looks. Everything is organized neatly. There are plenty of options already loaded in the software, but you can also bring in extras.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it doesn't have as many color correcting options as some of the other softwares.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Coming from Premiere and Avid, FCPX is awesome!! It has all the basics of the others, but it took me a little bit of time to get used to the magnetic timeline. Now that I have used it for a while, I won't be going back. I always recommend FCPX. Another great feature that this program has that others don't is the auto-save. I can't recall how many times I have lost projects in other programs because they weren't saved when the program shut down or something happened. With FCPX, I always know that my edits will be saved. They also save the footage into a separate folder, so even if my original footage goes missing, FCPX saves it into a project folder elsewhere.

In my business, we edit almost all day everyday, so this has been a great program for us to push out content in a timely manner. A lot of other programs don't have the capability of working with 4K (or higher) resolution footage, but thankfully, FCPX has been awesome for this reason.

Final Cut Pro X review by Matt N.
Matt N.

"Powerful, feature-rich, but a bit buggy"

What do you like best?

I love that there are so many companies creating excellent plugins for Final Cut Pro. Instead of creating effects from scratch, I tend to buy add ons that make my projects shine. Most functions are pretty obvious to anyone who has done non-linear editing before. Answers can be found with a quick google search.

What do you dislike?

The program does weird things at times. I will suddenly be unable to access the attributes, for example. Also, importing video from a camera can sometimes fail and then, when you disconnect the camera, the video is gone. Just general bugginess at times, is the worst part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research. I have always used FCP, so it's what I know. You should definitely compare it to Adobe Premier. They are very similar, but Premier's integration with other Adobe products should be taken into account.

I use Final Cut Pro for projects ranging from advanced slideshows, to full blown commercial production. It can do anything. Clients love the results.

Final Cut Pro X review by Anna D.
Anna D.

"FCP still reigns as the best editing software"

What do you like best?

The thing I like the most about this program is that there is a certain level of usability that can be achieved just through general user intuition and the easy of interface. On top of that there is also a whole new layer of skill one can reach with professional training in the product. Other products such as Premiere are very one-dimensional in that the usability really ends at the surface lever of what one can determine through just "messing around" with the program. One can achieve so much more with the proper education in FCP.

What do you dislike?

The only problems I have found with all variations of Final Cut is the program size that seems to take up so much ram and memory you have to constantly work from an external harddrive, even for a very small sized project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with most of the other programs I use and review, take the time to learn about the product. Take classes if possible, if not, watch lessons on youtube. You'll be able to do amazing things if you take the time to do your research!

The flexibility of FCP means you can do almost ANYTHING as long as you have the knowledge or education to learn how to use the program for your needs. This means you can make extremely professional looking projects that are otherwise very restricted in other programs. This lends to the professionalism of my small company and makes it comparable to larger companies.

Final Cut Pro X review by Larry C.
Larry C.

"Final Cut Pro X is my favourite video software"

What do you like best?

I really like that I don't need the latest and greatest Mac to run the latest and greatest version of FCPX. It can handle large and small projects with ease.

What do you dislike?

The only gripe I have with FCPX is really more related to my MacBook Pro's 13" screen. Sometimes when I have a really large layering of clips in the timeline, I would like to see the timeline and preview side by side instead of top and bottom. I don't always work where I have access to external screens, so this would be helpful on some projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

FCPX is an excellent choice and I think it is easier to learn than some other popular software.

I get to be as creative as I want with my film and documentary projects using FCPX.

Final Cut Pro X review by Andrew K.
Andrew K.

"Not for someone with no previous experience of video editing"

What do you like best?

You can do just about anything with Final Cut Pro X, and the amount of commercially available plug-ins expands its capabilities beyond belief. Make no mistake FCPX is pretty much an industry standard and I have probably only scratched about 50% of what it is capable of. I am not a video editing professional, but I am comfortable with what it does and how I can use it. Keyboard shortcuts are a great timesaver.

What do you dislike?

Poor user help. There are online forums but they seem to have little time for users that are new to the product. Apple only (of course). Apple have an annoying habit of changing the interface when they issue an update and that can mean processes that you have become familiar with have changed, and so you have to change the way you have done things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not for beginners. You shouldn't buy or use this if you have never used computer based video editing suite before the learning curve is steep although YouTube does offer good pointers for beginners. Once you are comfortable with FCPX it is an excellent program. I also have access to Adobs Creative Cloud and Premiere Pro, but now I prefer to use FCPX as I am more familiar with it. Do not rely on it for editing audio on videos you have shot, I always export the audio and edit it within Adobe Audition before importing back into FCPX.

We create training videos in-house for our clients. With practice and using video templates we can produce 2-3 minute training videos in a couple of hours.

Final Cut Pro X review by Jason A.
Jason A.

"Powerful Post-Production"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is an excellent all in one post-production tool that allows me to quickly edit video, audio, and edit basic motion graphics and effects. This is critical for working on industrial and time sensitive training videos. I also love the way it handles meta-data helping me to quickly and easily media. Robust market for third-party plug-ins keeps the features growing.

What do you dislike?

While Final Cut Pro X may be easy for new editors to pick up, it does require a bit of a learning curve and workflow change for those of us with traditional NLE experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you get used to the workflow of Final Cut Pro X, you may find you are able to work faster than you could in traditional NLEs.

Final Cut Pro X speeds the time from rough assembly to final edit. This saves time and money.

Final Cut Pro X review by Chris D.
Chris D.

"For Video Projects of All Sizes"

What do you like best?

The tools are simple, but powerful. Things like keying, color correction, and compositing take almost no time. I've been really pleased with how easy it is to drop elements into the timeline. Often I find myself needing to replace single clips in a nearly completed project, and Final Cut Pro X makes it very easy to do that without otherwise destroying my timeline.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Motion was still included with Final Cut as a package. Sometimes content management is not as intuitive as it could be. Overall, though, there isn't much to dislike.

I create daily instructional videos for use by middle and high school aged students. I also regularly record and edit weddings, memorial services, church events, and other special events.

Final Cut Pro X review by Eric I.
Eric I.

"Intuitive workflow or professional storytellers"

What do you like best?

I am a longtime user of Final Cut, over 12 years. Many editors resisted FCPX when it rolled out calling for the structure and feel of FCP7 to return. Many left and moved to Adobe. I

What do you dislike?

Need a custome square canvas to edit Social videos and close down captioning support in FCPX opposed to Compressor. Better watermark options as well and embedded info call to action cards

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure that you have a strong label and indexing system especially as you cross content to mobile and social channels.

We use Final Cut Pro X to accomplish 60% of our video based content for clients and internal projects. As Social video has truly continued to claim a share of the video ecosystem, we still leverage FCPX to handle the polish on social video content, however, soon that may not be needed. I hope FCPX comes out soon with some mobile compliment as Adobe Clip does for Premiere. Time will tell.

Final Cut Pro X review by Mark A.
Mark A.

"A solid tool"

What do you like best?

I like the interface a whole lot. I've never used the older versions so I don't have the gripes the seasoned guys have. Most things are where I believe they should be.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how the things that I feel should be easy to find or do, never really are. I also find that a lot of questions I have require extensive searches. Lots of bad info at the top of google for some reason.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have to choose between Final Cut Pro X and something else, give it a shot first. Choose something you can learn the fastest. This is powerful stuff, but there other tools that are just as powerful, if not more. Pick the one you'll get the most out of.

I use this to edit videos that our publishers would like created for their pages.

Final Cut Pro X review by Charlie S.
Charlie S.

"Final Cut Pro X - An Editing Software for Everyone"

What do you like best?

FCPX is a great tool for all editors. Although it does lack some features that other software includes, FCPX has an amazing set of tools, like the chroma keyer, that out of the box does an awesome job. Final Cut Pro X shines in it's ability to package files and keep the entire workspace organized. It is a very fast software and handles video editing very well. Apple consistently updates the software and is very attentive to any bug reports and solving them. I highly recommend FCPX for editing.

What do you dislike?

Final Cut's Multicam features are a bit lacking. In addition, the user interface seems a bit too much like iMovie. It does not really feel like a professional editing software like FCP7 did. Some of the transitions and effects aren't exactly "professional" quality and seem more like a cheap slideshow transition/effect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like iMovie, you will probably enjoy FCPX. FCPX is a great piece of software and is extremely powerful. I love using it for smaller projects where I don't need a ton of customization. Manual controls and customization are probably better on other pieces of software, but for the price of FCPX you can't go wrong. (And you pay once to own the software forever!)

One business problem that FCPX solved was sharing files. FCPX has a wonderful file system that allows me to bundle everything I want and share it with other editors, clients, etc.

Final Cut Pro X review by User

"Best movie production software!"

What do you like best?

I use Final cut to edit all of my videos. It by far is one of the best softwares offered for movie/video production. I love how it comes with all of the different transitions, text themes, and more, which usually don't come included in a lot of other movie suites.

What do you dislike?

I wish apple made the price a lot cheaper. A lot of people could use the software to help bring their business to the next level, but just cant afford it, so making the price a little cheaper would benefit so many.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would take some training courses online, especially if you are coming from iMovie (Apple's Free video editing software), or other programs like Adobe Premier, or Power Director,

One of the biggest issues I solved with final cut is how im able to export in so many different formats, which on a lot of other programs, you are limited too.

Final Cut Pro X review by Otis B.
Otis B.

"A smooth and intuitive high end video editor"

What do you like best?

I like being able to quickly cut clips with my mouse cursor and drag the clips around in the timeline. Unlike some other similar programs, Final Cut Pro X can to a good job of snapping adjacent clips together as you position them in the timeline. This really helps to finish project more quickly. There are a massive amount of effects that allow you to do things like correct color, resize, and change the speed of the clips you add. There are extensive sound editing tools to help sharpen up your sound to make your overall video more professional. Even if you have low quality sound from the poor microphones, Final Cut Pro X has tools that can help you to greatly improve sound quality.

What do you dislike?

As an advanced video editor. Final Cut Pro X can take a great deal of time to learn. Creating video that are actually watchable and professional isn’t really an easy thing. When you start out using Final Cut Pro X, you're going to be presented with several workspace windows, which can be overwhelming. Learning how to manage the different windows and the tool inside them will take some time. Once you do learn how to use everything, you can actually run through your editing very quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Final Cut Pro X is one of the more powerful programs in the Mac software library. Compared to Adobe Premiere Pro, I think that using the slice tool, which is one of the most common tools you'll use, is more intuitive and can help you to piece your videos together more quickly. However, some people might find the precision of Adobe Premiere Pro to be more to their liking - as I do sometimes. So you should definitely give both of these programs a try.

I can put together quick corporate videos that are professional just by adding simple graphics and transitions. Using the basic features of Final Cut Pro X is actually not that complicated after maybe an hour or two of training. If you need to get an inexperienced user to come in and cut video and maybe lay down some background music, that actually won't take a long time to do. As far as more advanced features, we can do things like stabilize video and correct many of the problems that come with recording with lower end equipment.

Final Cut Pro X review by Cathrynne G.
Cathrynne G.

"Easy Video Editing Software for Beginners"

What do you like best?

The software is one of the best in editing video field. It fits for both professional and amateur users and a valuable upgrade if you were using free editing software before like window movie maker. Final Cut Pro allows users to really have fully control over their footage. You are able to adjust the color, the look, and add more effects to the footage. You can easily change the tone & the style of the footage in the way you want it to be.

What do you dislike?

The post processing time is still long if you have a computer with Core i3 processor. Importing movie is somehow still lagging and sometimes you have to do it multiple time in order to import sucessfully.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to look for tutorials on youtube, due to the complication in the layout of the software, it could be overwhelming for new / novice users.

It makes my life easier with editing vlog and enhances the quality of my footage dramatically.

Final Cut Pro X review by Jacob G.
Jacob G.

"High Quality Video Editor with a Low Impact Price"

What do you like best?

The user-friendly interface and smooth rendering features help push FCPX way ahead of its predecessors. The background rendering is truly spectacular for streamlining the video editing process. From dragging and dropping clips, making selections, and exporting videos, FCPX makes the whole process plain and simple. The built-in transitions and effects are far more customizable than in previous versions of the product, and very high quality. I've so far had tremendous success implementing third-party effects and transitions as well.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is a bit steep, especially if you're used to old versions of FCP or Adobe Premiere. I found the magnetic timeline especially frustrating to work with at first until I learned to work with it. I wish there were more export options. Unfortunately, Compressor is needed in conjunction with FCPX in order to achieve certain compression requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

FCPX assumes the user has some basic video editing skills. Even if you don't, with a little time and training you can pick it up, but the learning curve can be steep.

FCPX cuts to the top of the competition by providing a background rendering function that takes the wait time out of video rendering. High-quality videos are ready to export in no time. FCPX also makes it quick and easy to share compatible videos on social media. The magnetic timeline is frustrating at first, but a boon once you learn to work with it.

Final Cut Pro X review by User

"One of the best video editing tool for apple OS"

What do you like best?

Very easy learning curve, if you are looking to use this just for basic video editing. No render time, you can view the video right away on the timeline with minimal dropped frames at a reduced quality than recorded. Has alright audio and color correction built in and you can set it to scan over the footage to fix any loudness issues as soon as it imports. Export times are not unreasonable, but do take longer cause this is when the footage is being rendered

What do you dislike?

You still need to connect with other programs if you want better audio (currently using Reaper 5 and Adobe Audition) , special effects(using Adobe After Effects) ,color correction( motion graphics(using Adobe After Effects) and things of that sort like Photoshop. Do note they do offer connections with their own software, so this is on a personal preference. It is very different if you are moving from Final Cut Pro 7, it has more of an imovie feel and looks a bit less professional.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using an apple os this is the right program to go with

Be able to edit and produce videos on a quick time frame. Sometimes looking to have a video edited and be live in less than an hours time and this software has helped me make that happen.

Final Cut Pro X review by John C.
John C.

"Final Cut Pro X meets all of my editing needs and then some!"

What do you like best?

FCPx is a very intuitive platform that provides a clean and beautiful approach to video editing. Coloring with the VectorScope tool is absolutely brilliant (particularly correcting skin tones). The timeline and tool set that comes along with it is robust and easy to understand.

What do you dislike?

The disadvantage will always be the size and speed of your computer. It is a bit more pronounced on with this software as say Adobe Premiere, because the video files are copied into the project file as opposed to being referenced. That is the default setting, but it can be changed. Beyond that, FCPx has not yet been updated to handle the 4K 10 bit recording as can be utilized on the Panasonic Lumix GH5. It's about time.

The software is intuitive and easy to use.

Final Cut Pro X review by Monnelle B.
Monnelle B.

"Good for small projects"

What do you like best?

It's easy to navigate and use even if you are just starting out. It renders fast and exports way faster than any other editing software. The hot keys make simple editing fun. Simple effects and really good for making vlogs.

What do you dislike?

No tracks for editing. Audio is always connected to the video and complicates things whenever you delete a video file. Applying effects to text always creates the effects on the whole video file. Constantly having to make compound clips just to do simple things. Not being able to lay audio or video tracks above and below the main timeline really makes this software hard for editing anything other than a 5 minute project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple and use as a starting editing platform

Not much business problems with live people going on here. I mostly trouble shoot by looking up stuff online.

"Editor"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is a very user friendly editing software and works great. It has various levels from simple non linear editing to more complex features, most notably being able to support 360-degree and VR video editing. This new version has also added support for high dynamic range (HDR) video.

I also like the reliable and outstanding customer support from the Apple.

What do you dislike?

The major drawback for Final Cut Pro has always been that it only works on Mac. And that has always been an issue for professionals that decided to opt for Adobe Premiere. The latter is also a bit more easy to use if you are a beginner. Also, sometimes Final Cut Pro X crashes when trying to open the library.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The learning curve may be a bit steeper than other editing softwares.

I edit footage shot on video and also media created on a 2D/3D application.

Final Cut Pro X review by Agency
Agency

"Final Cut Pro X is the final solution for video editing, bar none."

What do you like best?

FCPX provides editors with a fast, elegant and intuitive editing environment unlike any other video editing software. Its unique and innovative Magnetic Storyline makes clip management a snap, quite literally. The FCPX user interface layout is logical and well thought-out, putting peak features and functionality at the editor's fingertips.

What do you dislike?

There have been infrequent incidences over the years that Apple did not release an update to Final Cut Pro X. However, when a new release was made available, it was always worth the wait. Other than the frequency of updates, there is nothing about Final Cut Pro X that I don't like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only caveat I have before recommending that all video editors should adopt Final Cut Pro X is that the software is available for Mac OS users only. That said, for Mac users who edit for fun or for profit, there is absolutely no other video editing software available that compares to Final Cut Pro X in terms of speed, ease of use, creativity and power. Just get it, already.

Final Cut Pro X allows me to create beautiful videos for clients in record time. Its features flexibility that provides me with countless opportunities to easily make client revisions, which saves me time I can devote to servicing more clients.

Final Cut Pro X review by Matt R.
Matt R.

"Brings your videos together and such a simple way."

What do you like best?

I like the UI of final cut pro the best as it keeps things simple. It makes editing videos fast, quick and offers a lot of effects etc. Final cut also works very well on Macs and takes full advantage of the hardware, keeping the performance very good throughout editing.

What do you dislike?

It sometimes lacks that extra threshold when it comes to effects and the colour grading via final cut can be complicated and little limited compared to other video editors. The fact that you can only use final cut on a Mac is another let down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're on a Mac and looking for something more professional that iMovie then this is a great program. It can lack some of the features that something like Premier can offer but it really does create videos and relatively simply.

For my simple video edits final cut always helps me out. It keeps things simple, performance is normalyl great even with 4K editing and I'm always happy with the final outcome.

Final Cut Pro X review by Troy F.
Troy F.

"It's not perfect but it suits my needs just fine"

What do you like best?

I've used Final Cut Pro for the past twelve years or so. I've had both ups and downs with this software, but it's been a mostly positive experience. The biggest challenge for me was learning every from scratch when they changed the UI for Final Cut Pro X; that took some getting used to, but now I like it. Probably my favorite feature is the multi-camera editing workflow. FCPX can identify and sync files from several different camera angles and then you just have to hit a button to change cameras. It's just like sitting in the director's chair of a live broadcast, only with the option of fixing a mis-take.

What do you dislike?

I am not particularly fond of the new UI, but it's growing on me. Some of the features are in not-so-obvious places, but a quick google search gets me back to editing in no time. At first it felt a little too much like iMovie, but I've realized that it was just being streamlined.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you're ready to move into professional video editing, there is really no there option on the Mac, except for Adobe Premiere. It's really a matter of personal preference, but I prefer FCPX.

I've used FCPX for editing music videos, documentaries and weddings. It is a very versatile and easy to use workflow - once you've learned where all the features are hidden. It has really increased my productivity and allowed me to work so much faster.

Final Cut Pro X review by Loren S.
Loren S.

"User friendly video editing program"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use with Final Cut Pro X. It's not as complicated as the Premiere Pro program, it just cuts to the chase. It's similar to Final Cut Express combined with Live Type, which I first started on, but with much more needed bells and whistles. I also love the auto-rendering feature in Final Cut Pro X. I feel it is much faster with rendering and exporting than previous Final Cut programs.

What do you dislike?

I somewhat dislike the audio options. I feel I can't manipulate the audio as I want, especially when adding an audio fade in. I also wish Final Cut Pro X gave more import media format options. I often have to work with older video (mpg) and Final Cut Pro X will not accept that format. I have to convert the video to mp4 or another acceptable video format. Other than that, I really have no other complaints with Final Cut Pro X. It gets everything done that I need it too!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommend this program to anyone who needs video editing software. It is very user friendly.

I have used Final Cut Pro X to share videos from our trade shows and to communicate with our audiences through social media video sharing. I also created a web ad with Final Cut Pro X. It was much easier than creating a gif!

Final Cut Pro X review by Jamie W.
Jamie W.

"Plug Ins make this software worth it."

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is very simple to use, but also offers all the tools you would want as a semiprofessional user. Keeping your files organized is easy and it also allows you to store files on separate drives for mass media storage.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how many plugins are needed to make original creations. I don't like how presets can't be changed unless you permanently change the text preset, as an example, in Motion which is another hefty purchase.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have been stuck using iMovie because it came on the flashy new laptop you just bought, then this is a great and smart upgrade for you. If you are a professional editor I would highly recommend that you look into Adobe Premier Pro as well.

We produce a large number of videos on a monthly basis. Final Cut Pro X lets me complete these task in a timely fashion and it's greatest weakness in my mind is being meet by content creators.

Final Cut Pro X review by Keith B.
Keith B.

"Powerful video editing software, yet easy enough for the relative beginner to use"

What do you like best?

I like the easy to use user interface which lets you quickly get to grips with the basics, and over time to become more and more familiar with the more powerful features as you get more used to it (although I'd definitely recommend getting a good book to learn the full power of it, the online and supplied manual is pretty basic on that front!)

What do you dislike?

Could do with much better documentation - really, to use the more advanced features, you need to get a good book to teach all that stuff and show where everything is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is more complicated to use than simple video software (like iMovie), BUT it is not THAT complicated - you an quickly get to grips with the basics, and then pick the more advanced bits up as you go along.

Producing trailers, videos, training materials, etc.

It is much more powerful than iMovie, and the resultant videos are much less "standard" / "canned" in terms of look, so you really can produce video truly customised to your branding. And the more powerful features are all sat there ready for you when you are, but they do not get in the way.

Final Cut Pro X review by Michael Q.
Michael Q.

"Final Cut Pro X is a great program for professional video editor."

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is a video editing program that is very powerful, yet user friendly. I appreciate how great the program is for both small and large projects. There also plenty of great tutorials and "how to" videos on the web for Final Cut Pro X. The program has a great library of sound effects and music clips that can be great editions to any video. Also, for three hundred dollars you cannot beat that great price!

What do you dislike?

Although Final Cut Pro X is a great editor, there are some areas in which it can improve to be even better. One such area could be the addition of an effects editor. A fix to this could be to combine some of the features of Apple's Motion program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Final Cut Pro X is an affordable, yet professional video editing software. It is easy to learn, and there are many helpful tutorials found online. If you are familiar with iMovie, you will have no problems transitioning to Final Cut Pro X. I completely recommend Final Cut Pro X to anyone who is a filmmaker, or creative.

One business problem that I am solving is improving low enrollment at the private school that I work at. I utilize Final Cut Pro X to create promotional videos and commercials. The benefits that I have realized are Final Cut Pro X's ease of use, and power to create professional quality content.

Final Cut Pro X review by User

"Final Cut Pro X is the best video editing software!"

What do you like best?

One time purchase for this software. No annual subscriptions.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any complaints about Final Cut.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price up front is more than a month of Adobe's video editing software, however the cost is minimal when you consider the fact that you will own the software and never have to continue paying in order to use it. After only a few months, you will have paid the same for Adobe but will not have the program if you don't keep paying monthly for however long you plan to use it.

Personally, I find Final Cut Pro to be MUCH more user friendly and can quickly put videos together and edit them. I have both Adobe and Final Cut; I never use Adobe. Final Cut wins by far!

It was extremely easy to learn and keyboard short cuts are very simple to use.

Just take some time to learn the program, it is far more advanced than iMovie and has so many great features and plug-ins available.

Video editing, marketing videos, post production editing.

Final Cut Pro X review by Bradley P.
Bradley P.

"Final Cut Pro X makes Video Editing Simple and Professional"

What do you like best?

All the included features, filters, effects, and transitions make it very easy to create a quality project in a timely manner.

It's not only limited to video either. I can edit, correct, enhance the audio of my recordings as well. The "real-time" rendering is great as it allows me to sample my changes immediately.

What do you dislike?

A lot of features take lots of practice to be able to find the tool. There are keyboard shortcuts for a lot of the tools, but even they are complicated, sometimes encompassing several different keys.

There are a few times where a particular toolbar I need is hard to find, though generally, its because the toolbar has opened "behind" the main window.

Note: This is a Mac OS product and is only available on an Apple Operating System.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time on youtube. There are many helpful tutorials to new and exciting features that you could use in your future projects.

Always be willing to spend some more time playing around with different features. You're bound to find something new to use on current/future projects.

It gives me the ability to create professional quality videos for my clients, internal staff, and recruiting.

It's a simple, user friendly, piece of software that I've utilized for several different projects in the last couple of months since purchasing it. My manager and VP of my professional job love the video's I've been creating about our products and events.

I've also used it as a freelance producer to assist a small business with some ads for social media!

Final Cut Pro X review by Scott G.
Scott G.

"FinalCut a great video production app"

What do you like best?

I really like the magnetic timeline. It was different at first but it has grown on me. Also, it seems like the overall organizational structure is much more intuitive to navigate. They have made the application much easier to use which has cut down on production time.

What do you dislike?

The older FinalCut had a much better encoder that came with the main application. The new version has lost this functionality and the available outputs are few and far between. You can still get the main file extensions you want but it was nice having so many options before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking at several other production applications you won't be disappointed with FinalCut.

I am solving video production problems for my clients. The new FinalCut has made production much faster.

Final Cut Pro X review by Jie F.
Jie F.

"Flexible, yet Limited"

What do you like best?

Very powerful, full-featured (now it is) video editor.

What do you dislike?

Its very pro-sumer when compare to Final Cut 7. I absolutely hate the magnetic timeline. It's as if Apple thought so high of themself that they tried to reinvent the wheel...and failed. Worst part (unfortunately, a major part)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a must have if you want to have a powerful, fully-featured, ready-to-go Video Editor that can run on an Apple Laptop.

Very fast Iterations

Low set up times

Uses the same plugin as Logic so no need to take up additional hard drive space!

Final Cut Pro X review by Aaron F.
Aaron F.

"Final Cut Pro X is Video Editing at it’s finest"

What do you like best?

The best feature of Final Cut Pro X is it’s simplicity and ease of use. It takes an easy to understand layout and feature-set and combines it with powerful options for pro editing.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, Final Cut Pro X requires a lot of maintenance to keep it running at a reasonable speed. After a while, a lot of cache files build up and tend to slow it down.

Final Cut Pro X has been the perfect solution at our church. We make videos on a weekly basis, often on a tight timeline. Final Cut has allowed us to create a very efficient workflow.

Final Cut Pro X review by Cassidy G.
Cassidy G.

"Final Cut Pro X: A Step Above iMovie, A Step Below Previous Versions"

What do you like best?

I love the amount of precision I have when it comes to making cuts within Final Cut Pro X, and I also believe inserting clips into Final Cut Pro X is easier than in the previous version I've dealt with. It comes down to the greater amount of control I have with this program, in contrast to iMovie.

What do you dislike?

Final Cut Pro X is definitely a step above iMovie, which I was using previously to edit video content for my job. For personal projects, I use Final Cut Pro 7. I believe that Final Cut Pro X's similarities in layout to iMovie are what cause it to feel "cluttered." The biggest issue I have with this program is the way that it automatically links certain clips and audio together, which begins to become annoying after awhile.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While this meets my needs at work, I would still be hesitant to recommend this product to others. I still feel much more comfortable using Final Cut Pro 7 (I'm old school). I'm not a fan of switching the layout to essentially look like iMovie.

This is definitely a nice program to have on hand to edit videos. It's much faster than iMovie, and the speed of my workflow has increased since switching to this from iMovie.

Final Cut Pro X review by Sara T.
Sara T.

"Final Cut Pro X"

What do you like best?

I like that it's user friendly, has a lot of pre-made traditions/effects and the multi-cam syncing is phenomenal. It also automatically creates a copy of your media, which can be nice, but can also clog up space on your computer/hard drive. I also really appreciate the export to YouTube function. It eliminates having to export and then upload. I really like the magnetic timeline and that you can turn that off if you need to fine tune your edit.

What do you dislike?

It is pretty basic, the color correction leaves something to be desired and it crashes quite often. The interface can also be a bit confusing. You have to make an event and then make projects within that event and then put your media in the projects. I want to be able to organize it the way I want, not the way it makes me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the end of the line for Final Cut and there are other options that are much better. It's nice when you're trying to whip something together pretty quickly, or make a funky video that requires a lot of effects, but I don't recommend using it on any professional products.

I used to use it for a lot of multi-cam shoots and it made it effortless. It's better than Adobe Premiere Pro's multi-cam setup.

Final Cut Pro X review by Jon V.
Jon V.

"Quality Video Editor "

What do you like best?

Easy video editing and friendly user interface.

What do you dislike?

It is pretty bare bones compared to products like Premier Pro, but still gives you most functionality that any casual video editor needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It works flawlessly on a mac computer. It is optimized to run on this OS. It out performs premier running on any other operating system. Rightfully so since it is made by apple and for apple computers.

It is an affordable, one time payment, video editing software. I use it to edit videos for my church, weddings, and events.

The benefits would be a piece of software that I can purchase one time and to have to worry about purchasing another update in a couple of months.

Final Cut Pro X review by Will F.
Will F.

"Sleek and user-friendly interface that makes editing easy"

What do you like best?

The interface is pristine. I love how the program stacks the layers of video and sound and prioritizes whichever layer is on top. The video and sound editing tools are simple, yet extremely effective and the transitions and effects are easy to use and easily customizable through layer opacities and other adjustments.

What do you dislike?

My major dislike with the program is more of an issue with Apple themselves. Whenever the next big operating system update comes out, Final Cut almost always has major glitches that have to be fixed by either waiting for a new patch from Apple to come out or by uninstalling and reinstalling the program in simpler cases. When Os Yosemite first came out, I wasn't even able to open Final Cut until the new driver was patched into the new operating system update. The recent upgrade to Os Sierra deleted almost all of my effects and transitions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an incredible program as long as you don't update your computer to the newest operating system. Wait for Apple to work out all the kinks with their new operating systems before updating. Otherwise, you're going to experience major glitches in the program.

I use this program for editing videos for my multimedia company and it speeds up the process immensely. My coworker uses Windows Movie Maker and it seems so clunky and pales in comparison to Final Cut.

Final Cut Pro X review by Scott W.
Scott W.

"Fantastic Video Editing Software"

What do you like best?

There's really only two platforms to choose from. Adobe & Apple. We started video editing post Apple's switch to Final Cut Pro X, so, we didn't experience the big shift from Final Cut Pro 7 to X. So that's a moot point for us. Editing in the software, by and large, is fairly easy and powerful. We can do just about anything we want. Anything else we want to do we use Motion, but for FCPX, we like it's ease of use and it's power.

What do you dislike?

Some of the timeline functionality isn't intuitive. The way Final Cut Pro 7 was organized, it allowed for more flexibility with clips on the timeline, but now with the magnetic timeline, there's some "tricking" you need to do. This isn't a deal breaker, you just need to know how to use it in your workflow. Simple stuff like pushing "p" then moving a clip in the main timeline allows for you to drag it anywhere you'd like. Without pushing "p", the clip will snap back to it's original location. It's fairly un-intuitive in some of those elements, but once you get the hang of it, it's not a big deal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's really down to Adobe or Apple. Do some research and determine which eco system you want to get tied to. Then, it's a really easy decision. I would say that FCPX is easier to use than Premiere for us, but that's your call to make.

We were looking for an easy & powerful way to edit and organize videos we are producing for marketing clients. This was a good solution and allowed for us to remain in the Apple native app ecosystem. We like how it works with Motion and Compressor as well.

Final Cut Pro X review by Anthony M.
Anthony M.

"Implementing Final Cut Pro at Nonprofit"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro is much faster than Adobe Premier for exporting clips. And handful of team members learned a few basics to create social media videos using footage shot on mobile, and Final Cut lets us quickly import, cut and overlay some basic effects.

What do you dislike?

It’s a little too much like iMovie at first use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For basic to complex projects, Final Cut is worth the investment in money and time.

We are able to quickly edit and export videos for our social media platform. It has given us a way to bring video to our followers in a space where video has high engagement.

User in Entertainment

"Final Cut Pro Is An ease For Anyone"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro is a great tool for users of all experience levels. From editing simple projects to working on grander scales the product is always easy to use and never fails to produce stunning work for all to enjoy. FCP has fantastic export options as well that make creating your media for various outlets a breeze.

What do you dislike?

I would almost love Adobe to build in After Effects or something similar so you could achieve both your film and footage editing on one program. FCP really lacks in basic footage editing and it can sometimes be a bummer. The workload it causes on the computer you're using is also sometimes stressful as there are occasional that if FCP is not the only thing running it will crash.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely would recommend another program called Compressor- it makes exporting to various media outlets a breeze and it only one click away in FCP as a built in extension. Makes everything a breeze.

A simple program to use that nearly anyone can use makes projects a breeze.

Final Cut Pro X review by Dan K.
Dan K.

"Different but the same"

What do you like best?

If you are willing to learn in the product and move beyond how different it is, you'll realize that's it's still a powerful tool and somewhat intuitive. Because I'm a power user from the original line of FCP, I end up forcing FCP X to work like I want. Which I think is the best feature. It has the ability to be different, but the flexibility, if you willing to learn it, to be function just as before.

I also teach editing and I've found that with new editors, it's somewhat easier to learn than the traditional NLE's.

What do you dislike?

There's a lot to dislike about FCP X. It's a complete departure from what 'editing' is supposed to look like and how it functions. It has the steepest learning curve of most professional products and can be very hard to get used to. It does feel like an upgrade to iMovie and a downgrade from the original lines of FCP.

One of my biggest issues, well two, is the inspector based corrections. The color corrector has less functionality than before and editing audio is almost pointless. These are the two major mistakes Apple made when revamping FCP.

Lastly, while the price is nice, stripping FCP of the rest of the suite and then discontinuing it was ridiculous. Gutting the audio editing was one thing, but then you discontinue soundtrack. Plus no DVD Studio Pro, which is why many are moving to Adobe, they still offer such peripherals.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the price, it's worth it. If you have younger/newer editors, they will love it. It's missing some features, but overall, it's a powerful editor.

With new learners, FCP X is easier to understand and break the ice on. It is intuitive, once you get past the overall feel. Also, the direct exporting/converting to different social media saves valuable time.

It's easier for me to upload a client's video as they can come into an edit session, log in to their account and then I upload privately. They can then go set it up themselves later. Save time on shipping or transferring content and forces them to come in for final/exit meetings.

Final Cut Pro X review by Brandon P.
Brandon P.

"Easy to use Professional NLE"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of this software is next to none. It has many incredibly powerful features. Importing is a breeze. The magnetic timeline can be a huge time saver. There are a ton of amazing plugins to make the software that much more powerful.

What do you dislike?

The magnetic timeline can be annoying at certain times and the ability to turn it on and off would be great. It is lacking some of the features of Adobe Premier in terms of color grading and fine tuning adjustments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can deal with the downsides of FCPX, it's a great, amazingly affordable NLE.

Speed. This product to me is really all about turn around time. I can edit faster in this program than other NLEs because of the streamlined workflow.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Printing
User in Printing

"Final Cut Pro Review"

What do you like best?

It's easy for short, uncomplicated promo videos. You just drag and drop things in.

What do you dislike?

The interface is not very appealing for more complicated editing or longer video cuts with a lot of layers. It would be easier if it were put together more like Adobe Premiere, where you didn't have to view all the layers at once. Also, I don't like many of the built in transitions, so I would recommend downloading new ones and using those. Working with transition timing is also kind of annoying on this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this to marketing departments who are making short videos for marketing purposes. If you are making more complicated videos that have to do with your main content on your website or your products, I would go with another program. If you do use FCP X, I would find other transitions and effects to use other than the built in ones.

I make promo videos for our products as well as other marketing videos. It's easy to just throw together a little video clip for marketing purposes, but if I'm doing more complicated editing for some of the content on our website, it gets a little tedious and annoying.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Bringing Ideas To Life"

What do you like best?

Very precise and detailed program. Able to handle large video files. I like that you can edit each frame's saturation, contrast, brightness, etc. Good for layering audio levels as well. I'm very impressed with the quality of the videos, and the saving options. For example, you can save a version compatible specifically for Youtube.

What do you dislike?

Hard to save. I always get scared my hours of work will be lost. Exporting the file takes a long time and it's a very large file so it's not easy to keep saving. Program takes up much of a computer's memory space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

View online video tutorials and/or have a peer walk you through it if it's your first time using it. You'll thank yourself for that patience later. Take time to explore all different features and play around with it before creating your first project. Final Cut X is my go-to for video editing that looks professional and aesthetically pleasing. I highly recommend.

Creating quality, professional videos with plenty of detailed options to choose from. Takes some time to adjust if it's your first time video editing, but it's very easy to get into a good rhythm with Final Cut X and feel comfortable with it. I don't have to hire a video editor - now I can do it myself and trust the quality.

Final Cut Pro X review by Dan T.
Dan T.

"Great for the Intermediate User"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is a user-friendly video editing software, packaged with motion graphic and lower third templates, reducing the prep-work for quick video productions.

What do you dislike?

FCPX is exclusive to the Apple Mac platform with no compatible software available for Windows (the main alternative is an entirely different software, Adobe Premiere).

FCPX has an intuitive user interface, but sacrifices advanced controls in the process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Final Cut Pro X is fantastic for creating quick, efficient videos. FCPX is limited to the Apple (Mac) platform, so you will need a Mac-based computer to take advantage of this software. Final Cut thrives with it's "Generators Browser," which includes stock backgrounds (both static and motion graphics), textures, and common video elements. The "Titles Browser" is also efficient, providing text templates for credits, lower third graphics, and title cards.

This software is also a one-time purchase, compared to it's main competitor Adobe (which uses a subscription model).

Working as the multimedia coordinator for a religious organization, I am in charge of creating graphic designs, photography, video production, and audio production with a minimal production crew (typically 1 - 2 other people per week on a volunteer basis). Final Cut Pro X has been a great solution for creating visually appealing video productions quickly and efficiently. FCPX has an intuitive user interface, making it easy for beginner and intermediate users within our organization to create impressive productions, without having to spend too much time training in the software.

Final Cut Pro X review by Internal Consultant in Sports
Internal Consultant in Sports

"I like that they made it similar to a movie so I could easily adapt when I crossed over."

What do you like best?

Drag and dropping media right into projects. I like that they made it similar to a movie so I could easily adapt when I crossed over.

What do you dislike?

For some reason from my Mac I am on able I am unamble to find the libraries that hold the projects and the project media When I would like to temporarily cut and paste those files into an external drive to save space. On previous versions of Final Cut Pro I was able to do this I don’t know if this is a FCPx issue or a Mac issue. Also, It would be neat if there were some tutorials with in the program, and some media-responsive compression tools that would pop-up upon upload, so that your projects don’t swallow up your whole hard drive.. which can be the case if you don’t know all the tools and tricks of the trade. I would like it if I could cruise through my collections and videos easier. There doesn’t seem to be enough options to organize the viewer to make my workflow easier. That is a big deal. I end up having to go through every single piece of video stored in Final Cut to see what I want to delete Just by scrolling through them- that takes way too long.

I am able to continually produce documentaries proving and illustratingclients’ damages to defense attorneys, juries and judges which in turn typically results in higher recoveries for our clients and better fees on our cases. Also produce weekly video shorts for all of our social platforms which aid in branding and recognition efforts.

Final Cut Pro X review by Leah P.
Leah P.

"Some learning curve, major pay-off"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, integration of color correction, generators and audio effects, ability to convert and edit almost any media type natively and seamlessly, extensive ability to sort and organize media.

What do you dislike?

Certain things are "dumbed down" a little too much, such as "sharing" (vs previously "exporting") completed files can feel restrictive in the lack of options and automatic settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a chance and allow yourself to think differently about how you approach an edit. I do the bulk of my story-building in the extensive organization abilities of the Browser window, then bring what I need to the Project timeline, which in itself is very different from before. Be wary of the magnetic primary storyline, because it takes some getting used to. Learn the difference between your Arrow and Position cursors.

While the magnetic primary storyline initially felt like a challenge, as I learned more about how it worked, it ended up changing my approach to editing and actually sped up and simplified my story-building process. Now, it's my favorite feature.

Final Cut Pro X review by Tony P.
Tony P.

"Useful tool for video enhancing & editing"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro not only allows me to enhance my colorless footage but also enable me to sharpen the footage which creates more dynamic to my footage. In additions, the interface of the software was super easy to use and totally friendly to newbie. The timeline is one of the feature that I find very convenient to preview the footage in order to choose the best shots for editing.

What do you dislike?

Post-processing exportation of file sometimes freezes unexpectedly. In order to fix this, I have to re-install the software. This is the quickest fix I know. It creates a bit of hassle if you are on the move. Beside from that, there is not much to complain about Final Cut Pro

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very friendly with amateur in Video Editing. Do not worry that you will bump into a maze like Premier Pro

Enhancing my footage for traveling blog & promotional footage which I use for my works in marketing field.

Final Cut Pro X review by Kyle C.
Kyle C.

"Excellent Video Editor for Pros & Non-Pros"

What do you like best?

It's easy use of hotkeys and straight forward non-linear editing capabilities. It's easy to use interface is non frighting and less scary looking when compared to Adobe Products such as Premiere and After Effects.

What do you dislike?

Apple tends to make their applications easy and user friendly. When editing certain values they tend to use dials and nobs and this can be quite annoying in my opinion, it does not hinder your video editing abilities. This is just something I noticed with FCX and Apple Motion. Its audio integration is not the best either, I normally edit my videos, take the audio into another DAW, Logic or ProTools, and then bring the audio into the Final Cut project and finish small edits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check it out, You will not regret going this route if you have not used any Adobe products. If you are familiar with Adobe products check out Premiere. It has worked for me and increased my own workflow. It was an excellent software to learn the basics on and to be honest I SOMETIMES use this over Premiere.

Fast pace non-linear editing software for school projects. We were taught this program before Premiere because of its simplicity, which was a good thing. It has also been easy to adapt hotkeys and learn basic video editing techniques.

Final Cut Pro X review by Dieter G.
Dieter G.

"Awesome Product"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, simple to operate, great with multiple screens, I think it's the ultimate film editing software. Loads of plugin's available as well

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately most plugins are not free, but there are some that are free. But really, everything else is amazing about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great, movies, time-lapses and even stills, are easily editable, with great transitions, effects, overlays, and thousands of plugins to choose from. Unfortunately, most of the really good plugins are not free, but there are enough that come with the product when you purchase it to get by, and get started. If you're looking to make the next blockbuster, you will need to spend a little more. Overall, an amazing product, and I recommend this product for all film editing solutions, from small to large.

Other than it's exceptional video, and film editing abilities, it helps me organise my 5 TB of drone footage, as well as all the plugins I use.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Easy, professional video editing"

What do you like best?

It's rendering time blows other editing programs off the charts! It's a fairly easy program to use in a professional and affordable package. It's the program that I'm exclusively using now, including projects for high end clients.

What do you dislike?

My biggest frustrations are problems that I would find anywhere (with Avid, Premiere, etc) which are bugs that show up with the editing software. Usually these bugs are quick to get fixed. Some people think that FCPX does too much for you, and doesn't allow the editor as much control -- but I would disagree on that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an intuitive app for editors and with great results.

It's created an easy-to-use, professional and affordable solution to editing video projects.

Final Cut Pro X review by Bob S.
Bob S.

"Excellent Video Editing Solution!"

What do you like best?

At first when I moved from Final Cut Pro 7 to Final Cut Pro X, I completely disliked the magnetic timeline! But now, I think it's one of the best parts of Final Cut Pro X. This feature has allowed me to move very fast through projects to get set up and then begin all my edits. Another bonus is the ability to view the clips as thumbnails in the project.

What do you dislike?

One dislike I have with Final Cut X would be the rendering in the background. It's never really rendering in the background unless you stop what you're doing on the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've used several other non-linear editing systems, and Final Cur Pro X has always been the one solid application I use for video editing. It's fast, efficient and very reliable to get the job done.

Final Cut Pro X has been an excellent solution for getting videos out quickly. Aside from its time effectiveness, it also affords you all the features you have in many other non-linear editing systems.

Final Cut Pro X review by Joshua G.
Joshua G.

"Awesome program that grew into itself nicely."

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is made for mac, which I use exclusively. It has a host of plugins made specifically for the program that expand its capabilities to almost limitless. One of my favorite features is the ability to create Proxy media on import. Proxy media is 1/4 of the size of the original or optimized file and allows for faster editing with real time results. I really enjoy the new libraries feature that they've included in the past year. It facilitates greater organization and allows the user to easily close libraries. This is extremely important as it frees up precious room on your ram and system processor.

What do you dislike?

A lot of the features are almost hidden. You have to really do some research to find all the little bells and whistles. However, when you do find them they often save you a ton of time. I do wish that they had more features for export to DVD. They have slowly eliminated different parts of this feature in each upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great program. If you still have to create DVD's for customers you should probably look for an additional program to do so. If you need help getting to know FCPX check out MacBreak Studio on Youtube for awesome tutorials.

I use FCPX for editing videos that I have been hired to create for various people, organizations, etc. I have used it since I started in the business 4 years ago and although I do find premiere to be a fantastic program, I personally would choose FCPX for it's ease of use and compatibility with other apple programs.

Final Cut Pro X review by Travis G.
Travis G.

"Still not great."

What do you like best?

It's a perfectly fine editing program, but still has some shortcomings compared to the previous version of Final Cut and other NLEs out there. I like being able to move clips around easier and inserting them into the sequence where they may fit better and having the rest of the clips afterward push out to accommodate the new clip (instead of making a hole, then moving the clip, then closing the gaps), but not one of the features that makes me drop everything and switch systems. I like that I have everything available for audio and color editing, so Final Cut Pro X is my go to for short one off projects.

The file/clip library is much easier to use than any other system I had in the past as well. I like that I can work on multiple jobs that may have overlapping clips, and keep them all in the same self-contained library. Then I can dump it all on a hard drive, and move to another computer if needed.

Clip importing and tagging is very easy to use, but also not a giant needed improvement over the old version of Final Cut.

I do also like being able to upload directly to Vimeo for some projects, so I can let it run overnight and not have to worry about it, but sometimes I don't have the options I want for exporting without following additional steps anyway, just like previous systems.

What do you dislike?

Everything I like best, has shortcomings. Inserting a clip into a new spot without having to create a hole for it was never a problem I really had. The implications around this feature make it more difficult to use in other situations. The way the clips are attached to the sequence makes it tough for when I do want to create holes for working on drafts. You can create gaps to insert into the timeline, but now it's an extra step, whereas before I could just move clips around and create the holes in one move.

Having the audio and color editing in the system is nice, but it's also not as robust, so when I'm used to being able to fine tune things, I can't, and it's harder to move to another system just for those pieces. Final Cut Studio (previous version) was great when being able to export the project in its correct format for color editing, or audio editing, in their same suite of applications, and each gave me the features I needed to do proper audio and color editing. Even if I wanted to use another application, exporting an EDL that could be recognized by other 3rd party apps was great. The EDL that FCP X exports is not easily useable by other applications.

For how great the clip library is for FCP X, it's also not exportable as easy for other systems. I want to be able to work on a project in one application, and if an outside vendor is using something slightly different, I want to be able to send files to them as easily as possible.

Clip importing doesn't have the standard obvious feature of adding take and scene numbers when importing. Very important for working on narrative pieces.

Live rendering also isn't as great as it sounds. It still doesn't render if you're doing any editing, and when it's working on renders, it slows the system down. I was ok with stopping every now and then and rendering what I needed in previous systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not bad for $300 to have on hand, or even just getting into editing, especially from iMovie. But if you're looking for more robust features and a traditional NLE, look at other applications first.

If I'm working on a quick project that doesn't need a lot of fine tune editing, and has a simple basic structure, it's perfect. But sometimes even adding titles or something I would think is simple ends up adding more time to the project overall and I wish I had used another editor. Even my simple edit jobs end up turning into something more complicated, but then I'm stuck with FCP X and this creates further delays.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"They blew up the NLE, and made it way better"

What do you like best?

Speed is the biggest benefit with Final Cut Pro X. I'm able to edit faster on this platform than I was on FCP7 or in any version of Adobe Premiere.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the labels or names for tools are unintuitive. In the process of blowing up the whole NLE concept, they changed a couple thing that maybe didn't need to be changed.

We're on a fibre channel server in a team production environment. FCP X lets us smoothly pass work between different editors, producers and videographers. It handles a variety of codecs well, even on the same timeline, which is helpful when we're editing footage from a variety of sources.

Final Cut Pro X review by Monique G.
Monique G.

"Best Video Editing Software to Date"

What do you like best?

I enjoy how user friendly it is while not compromising the editing capability of the program. It works smoothly and rarely crashes or freezes.

What do you dislike?

At the moment there's nothing I truly dislike. I wish it didn't take as much memory on my computer, but it's worth the storage space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to have a lot of space on your hard drive before jumping in. Each new project takes up tons of space, so for ease of use keep that in mind.

Quick and easy editing for fast video output.

Final Cut Pro X review by Ethan S.
Ethan S.

"A different type of nonlinear editing software "

What do you like best?

The layout is very nice. Its appearance seems much more updated than other nonlinear systems. It’s customizable too which is a huge plus.

What do you dislike?

The magnetic timeline is what I dislike, however at the same time the magnetic timeline is what can also be helpful. If it could be turned on and off through settings, that would be extremely helpful instead of being forced to use the magnetic timeline. Not having an internal menu creator is a negative as well.

Quickly creating professional videos that in other editors seem to take a considerable amount longer. Thus I would say that the main business problem I’m solving would be lack of time.

Final Cut Pro X review by David S.
David S.

"In some ways, the future; but overall, it's not for me"

What do you like best?

Apple excels at making computing approachable, and nothing is different about how they've handled Final Cut Pro X. It is a program that makes video editing as easy as using iMovie—which is almost always a good thing. I love the modern approaches FCPX takes to file management, proxy generation and online/offline, metadata, and tagging.

What do you dislike?

To balance out all the modern advantages of Final Cut Pro X and all the problems it solves, FCPX also "solves" problems that never existed and creates so many new ones. One of the most notable areas of weakness is audio—FCP X sucks at audio. It's not a simple feature lack, either—it's an inherit limitation of going "trackless". Audio should always exist in tracks. Unlike video, where you typically only see one thing at a time, audio is best when layered, mixed, and meshed. Layering dialogue, music, and sfx requires mixing, and you cannot mix without tracks.

Other, basic editing functions in FCP X take so much more time than necessary—a classic example is a J/L cut, which is a classic video editing technique that FCP X makes more difficult. Apple also tried to reinvent the color wheel with the color board, and failed–miserably. The color options in FCP X are awful.

Apple get so many things right with FCP X—but they get basic, everyday things wrong. And it causes so much frustration that however much I've tried, it can't be my everyday NLE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a download and try it out. If it works for you, that is great. It has a rich ecosystem of plugins, plays very nicely with Apple hardware, and does a lot to make editing a more accessible experience. However, if you are a seasoned editor, you might find it frustrating to do everyday tasks in FCP X.

Organization is a big problem FCP solves. Another is editing on underpowered machines—the perfect proxy system in FCP X makes it so easy to edit with easier media and switch to full quality media when it's time to export.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Apple's proffesional video editor"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and able to handle variety of different video formats. Has powerful tools and background rendering is amazing. Interface has improved dramatically from Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Pro X.

What do you dislike?

Lack of different options for video exporting. It's only available on Mac so bad luck for PC users. It also has very limited audio handling options and effects. The cost of software is also quite pricy. I use After Effects alot for special effects or motion graphics which in most case is not doable in Final Cut Pro. But bringing in the work done in After Effect is not easily transferable and cause a lot of issues without compromising the video quality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it if you are an Apple fan, but make sure you try out Adobe Premier as well before you make the decision.

I use Final Cut Pro X mainly for quick video editing with just basic colour correction. No special effects etc.

Final Cut Pro X review by User

"Final Cut- the video editor friendly to all skill levels and needs"

What do you like best?

The interface is nice and clean. The software is highly intuitive and provides everything novices need, but also scales up to everything I need as a video pro. I also like that when I bought FCPX, I own the program. No monthly fee like the Adobe Suite.

What do you dislike?

It could use a bit more compatibility with LUTs, in general, but especially with DaVinci Resolve. One of the reasons I don't bother with Resolve is due to increased time spent in work flow to get the two programs to talk well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

FCPX is a great software. Many people also enjoy premier, but I find FCPX has everything I need, even as a professional videographer.

I've solved several video problems for small businesses. The software is affordable and with no monthly cost, my over-head expenses are low. So that allows me to keep an affordable price for my services. Plus, FCPX lets me export and create new project libraries for each company or event.

Final Cut Pro X review by Seth P.
Seth P.

"Final Cut Pro X Review"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you are able to create movies in a fraction of the time of what you would do with iMovie. Final Cut Pro X has far more options than iMovie which makes it more of a one stop shop movie editor. I also enjoy the fact that there are many keyboard shortcuts which allow you to be able to do the work in a fraction of the time verses clicking up on the toolbar and searching for what you are looking for.

What do you dislike?

I learned Final Cut in college, and was accustomed to the older version of the product. I find that visually, Final Cut Pro X looks more like iMovie, which to me I find frustrating at times. I liked the layout of older versions better. I also find that configuring with the fade in and out options is a bit of a pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an Apple program which allows you to do most anything with video, I would suggest looking into Final Cut Pro X. One you learn the ins and outs of the program, you'll most certainly be able to create quality looking video, and more than likely be able to do it faster than with iMovie or other editing programs.

I used Final Cut Pro X to put together a promotional commercial for our credit union. Previously we had been using iMovie and this was an easier way to create professional looking content. I also realized how well Final Cut Pro X can work with the Adobe Suite products, which is important to me. I have learned to utilize After Effects, and I find that it works well with the Final Cut Pro X product.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Higher Education

"A great step up for video editors"

What do you like best?

The workflow is smooth and intuitive for video editors. It's very easy to skim through footage and add in the clips you want. A wide variety of text implementation, transition effects, and color correction options are a natural progression from the limited freedom of other video editing software.

What do you dislike?

Unless you're already familiar with basic video editing, the options can seem overwhelming and it may be hard to find exactly what you're looking for. The program takes up a lot of processing power, so if you're working on an older computer or with super high quality footage, expect to deal with freezes or crashes.

Final Cut allows for the creation of relatively quick video editing and allows for the end product to appear extremely professional and well put together. Especially for Mac users, Final Cut Pro X is the natural choice for video editing software.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Glad I Switched To Premiere"

What do you like best?

The only thing that I like about FCPX is the plugins that 3rd party companies have made for it and the ability to put animated text elements into my timelines.

What do you dislike?

I think this whole program was a big step back in time for Apple and really took away the professional functionality to editing video. It's basically iMovie on steroids or iMovie Pro if you will. Apple has failed to keep up with the "Pro" Aspect in Final Cut Pro X. The timeline is obnoxious with the magnetic timeline destroying entire projects with the adjustment of one clip. It's buggy, it crashes and if it's rendering in the background you can forget being able to do anything with the program because it will freeze.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend skipping over FCPX and going straight to Adobe Premiere. You're going to have advantages and disadvantages for both but I feel as though Premiere will save you a lot of time and hassle.

Truthfully, I solved all of my problems by avoiding FCPX like the plague and moving over to Adobe Premiere. I can't see any benefits from working in FCPX other than a few plugins and text effects that make life a little bit easier.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"Editing pro "

What do you like best?

Final cut is the basis of all media editing programs. What I like best is how easy it is to render footage or a video on there and the large amount of outlets the software supports. I can even digitize and render tapes from back in my college days when the cameras weren’t so nice

What do you dislike?

I dislike how little options there are when it comes to color correcting with Final Cut Pro. It’s a bit confusing and encourages you to just get a better shot. It’s getting a bit out of date too and Adobe is taking over

I’ve been able to edit any video with ease using Final Cut Pro. It’s also been very helpful by supporting the large amount of files that it does and works just as fine on a PC as it would a Mac (I have a PC). It’s been around for so many years and has become a source of reliablity in editing.

Final Cut Pro X review by Harry S.
Harry S.

"Getting Better"

What do you like best?

Apple Returned a lot of removed features Final Cut Pro is incredibly fast for certian projects and has an awesome Keyer (like imovie) Great for users moving from imovie up to more substantive editing programs takes full advantage of the capabilities of your Mac very fast rendering

What do you dislike?

Still Feels like iMovie UI can take some getting used to if you've used other Pro Level Editing programs such as Premiere or Avid

No cross platform support for Windows

No import for Legacy versions of Final Cut Pro

Teaching students all available editng platforms and preparing them for any platform they might encounter in college or their career

Final Cut Pro X review by Zeke K.
Zeke K.

"A Student's Perspective of Final Cut Pro X"

What do you like best?

The progam is simple and runs on my macbook pro. Most footage-editing software tends to get slow but this one is always processes film smoothly. The biggest benefit is the intuitive experience when using the application. Most tools are exactly where you would think they are and the application feels streamlined.

What do you dislike?

The product has an excellent user-interface but can become cluttered when adding large amounts of footage for editing. This causes the software to become difficult to use. In general I have to keep down the amount of footage I am using at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Personally, my school paid for my version but I would recommend it at full price.

As an upper-level medical student, I have to edit video projects for my classes. Film Cut Pro is a simple alternative to using more difficult software. Final Cut Pro gives my presentations a sense of professionalism it allows me to have an advantage in the classroom.

User in Entertainment

"Great if it operates on your OS (Check first!)"

What do you like best?

If you've been trained for editing on FCP, it's hard to edit on anything else. You start to have a sort of flow, that's hard to turn away from.

What do you dislike?

Had some troubles recently when I updated my OS system to High Sierra only to find out FCP 7 does not operate on this. If I want to fix this, I have to completely wipe my computer, reboot everything, re-install a previous OS system, and probably re-purchase FCP.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check your OS system. If you're brand new to editing, it's probably a smart idea to learn editing on a different platform, like Avid or Premier. Since FCP is slowly going away, it will likely start being compatible with less and less operating systems, so save yourself the hassle and learn on a different software. If you're already a FCP user, well, we're in the same boat. Will probably have to transition soon.

Editing films, short films, other small projects.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Easy product to make videos on!"

What do you like best?

well I’m probably biased because I enjoy making video but hopefully if you’re looking at this tool you enjoy it also. I imported clips to this tool and easily added audio and pieced videos together. Easy to navigate. Never really had to be “taught”

What do you dislike?

I can’t think of anything I really couldn’t do on this tool that I needed to do. Sometimes my videos didn’t save or the system would freeze and I would have to restart but I blame the system for some of that and not necessarily the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love the product. Great If you’re just getting started or doing little projects.

I used this to make commercials, music videos and edit interviews. I used this tool for everything I possibly could. Even made some personal videos by taking some of my home videos and piecing my favorite parts together for my parents.

Final Cut Pro X review by Joe C.
Joe C.

"Power editing software. A must have!"

What do you like best?

This is an amazing too that is just to good to not have. This can make video editing easy and look professional too. You don't need to be an expert but just have an understanding in what the software can do and features can manage.

This software is very much power in its plugins and enhanced software digital editing and converting capabilities.

I like that it takes the pressure when working with layers and using video and sound to deliver a very nice presentation. something that you wouldn't think would come from a standard computer but from a professional sound video editing room.

With its new features being integrated and upgraded, it can now upload to multiple media fan websites. Its saving projects makes it easy to return back to a project without losing any settings or changes.

If your not a guru in video editing, not to worry, as there are many websites that have helpful guides and i love the people who made tips n tricks on how to's. Especially youtube has tons of videos that can make a notice to a semi professional video editor with this software.

What do you dislike?

some features are a little too overwhelming but its more of a user issue and not a software issue. I am not the skilled video editing person but i do enjoy using it and i just wish it had some easier methods of delivering what i want with a little less scratching my head on what an item can do.

on once instance i had a coworker say it crashed but i think it was based more on a computer issue rather than a software issue. since it was not a replicated issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this software, as it can have large amounts of features and abilities that can manipulate video and sound at a high quality grade. Very professional looking designs and features will leave you wanting to make more changes to projects.

I really liked that it made it easy as i started to use templates and there are many online websites that have helpful guides and tips n tricks.

Nothing that i can tell since its a very power software with multiple features. Much more than what i will ever need this for.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Internet

"Better than most software. "

What do you like best?

I've used both Avid and Final Cut Pro, as well as Sony Vegas briefly. I definitely feel like Final Cut Pro is easier to learn and pick up on your own. I took a course that used Avid Media Composer, but that was much less user friendly and it took a lot of time to really understand what I needed to do to get my clips spliced and onto the timeline. FCP, on the other hand, is fairly straight forward and after a few quick tutorials I was able to get myself up and running

What do you dislike?

It uses up a lot of my computer's power and drains the battery extremely quickly, though this is true with most video editing software. I've found that Final Cut Pro can be particularly taxing on my Macbook.

We've been using videos to communicate important organizational changes, and also to highlight interesting employee stories. The video software helps us easily edit together the short videos that we need.

Final Cut Pro X review by David M.
David M.

"Intuitive and powerful video editing"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. From the very skilled to the rookie user, FCPX bridges the gap. It seems intuitive when it comes to moving things around.

What do you dislike?

It seems to be cumbersome when editing video with a lot of text assets. It doesn't seem as though you can move clips around on the time line without them being anchored somewhere. You have to go through a few extra steps to lift a clip off the time line to move things around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure the computer you are running FCPX on is very powerful. You need a strong engine to run it. Graphics Card should be strong too.

It works well with our other software and equipment. We use both native Apple software and an Adobe CC and it works well together.

Final Cut Pro X review by Nicola F.
Nicola F.

"Ease of workflow"

What do you like best?

I love how user-friendly Final Cut Pro X is. Every feature I need is there for the jobs I need to get done.

What do you dislike?

Maybe more control in transitions for clips that don’t affect the entire shot. For example, a slide out for a graphic or text box that doesn’t slide the original base clip.

Recommendations to others considering the product

play around with features, become acquainted, utilize it to the best of its ability

It is everything I need it to be at the moment. I enjoy the features and creative control it offers but more control is always appreciated.

Final Cut Pro X review by Brennan B.
Brennan B.

"Final Cut Pro X - Nice Work"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is a great medium for producing awesome videos.. The tools and effects that are embedded in the program are up to date and make the editorial process streamlined from the start. With the recognition of advanced codecs this software handles whatever you can throw at it.

Editing with proxies also frees up a great amount of headroom on the processors so big-big projects are easier to manage.

Once you understand how intuitive the front end interface is, the program is super easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The change from Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Pro X was a big change. The interface is greatly improved from the older version. This took a minute to re-learn, but the engine underneath is stronger than ever.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a minute to look at the re-designed interface. It carries with it a lot of the known shortcuts and works well with most new camera codecs.

Final Cut Pro X is a standard amongst Mac users and having the ability to hand off a project that is completely encapsulated in one place is very handy.. So many times you spend hours trying to pull together media from internal and external hard drives to deliver a complete project. With Final Cut Pro X, the project is self contained, so it transfers easy in the real world.

Final Cut Pro X review by Mike K.
Mike K.

"Professional Video Editing Simplified! "

What do you like best?

My favorite feature that Final Cut Pro X offers is excellent HD video editing capabilities. Final Cut Pro also has a simple interface that will take little time to get used to, which is good if you are working with people who aren't so tech savvy

What do you dislike?

Final Cut Pro has limited export settings. With the version that I am using, it offers no export options for Hi-Resolution JPG, PNG support, or TIFF files. Also, if a file doesn't get properly saved, expect that it will get corrupted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Macs are RAM-hungry, so the more RAM, Processing power,

Finding a new video editing program besides the basic iMovie.

Final Cut Pro X review by Caleb M.
Caleb M.

"Best editor I've ever used"

What do you like best?

*The user interface and workflow is incredibly intuitive and simple. The magnetic timeline keeps things clean and in order while still providing freedom to organize things however I please.

*It's FAST. I never have trouble importing/editing. The great thing about FCPX is that you don't have to wait for files to finish importing/transcoding/rendering before you edit them. It does it all in the background so you never have to think about it.

What do you dislike?

*Rendering can sometimes make editing laggy. FCPX is usually good about knowing when to background render, and you can customize how much time it takes before BR kicks in, but sometimes it gets in the way

*The effects tab is too simple/generic. Generators/transitions aren't nearly customizable enough. The entire effects library makes it feel very iMovie-like

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're used to other editing software, the workflow may seem tricky. Once you get used to it, however, you'll wonder how you ever edited any other way.

If you're new to editing, FCPX is an incredible tool for inexperienced users to understand editing in a very user friendly way. The beauty of this product is that it services inexperienced editor and professional editors alike.

Final Cut has the ability to get things done quickly and efficiently for all types of projects. Everyday I am working with videos that need to be exported as a full pro res project and then cut/exported for social media. The workflow allows for seamless non-destructive editing that has saved me a lot of time and headaches.

Final Cut Pro X review by Josiah W.
Josiah W.

"Magnetic Timeline is a Gamechanger"

What do you like best?

I've used just about all of the major NLE's out there. From the low end one's like WMM, iMovie, Sony Vegas, going up to Final Cut Express, FC7, Avid, Smoke, Adobe PP and Final Cut X. Out of all of those, FCP X is by far my favorite. My speed while editing in X is unrivaled. And trust me, I'm fast in Avid and Premiere. But the magnetic timeline boosts my editing speeds dramatically because it cuts down the amount of times I have to move items around on the timeline when rearranging clips. In FCP X, clips stick together, and snap around. This means that clips stay connected/in synch. Getting used to this paradigm takes some time, but it's worth the investment of your time and money. Additionally, FCP X really takes advantage of all the hardware in your Mac. Export times and render times are significantly faster than an equivalent project in Premiere Pro on the same machine.

What do you dislike?

I really miss the interplay between other programs that FCP 7 offered. You used to be able to select a clip and send it to one of the other parts of Apple's FC suite. Most of those apps are gone now, and that interplay between apps is as well. This is one area where Premiere/After Effects/Audition have a strong advantage.

Overall, my biggest disappointment with Final Cut X is audio mixing. There needs to be a better way to mix roles (since FCP doesn't use Tracks). Without it, I would never do any major narrative editing in FCP X. I mainly uses it for shorter form content, like ads, maybe music videos, or other videos without complex audio needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's one of the cheapest full featured NLE's out there. If you have a Mac, buy it ASAP and give it a solid week of real world testing. You can also download a trial from Apple's website if you're less sure about making the plunge.

I need to be able to edit a high number of videos, some with great complexity, at a fast pace. Final Cut X makes that easy.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Must have!"

What do you like best?

I love that this software is really easy to use, it takes the hard work out of video editing, and makes it a more enjoyable experience. It didn't take long to get to grips with what I had to do when I first started working with it, having come from lower quality packages, it was definitely a good decision to purchase it.

Rarely crashes which is one pro over other packages I've used, really annoys me when a program has so many bugs that it makes it hard to be able to do work.

What do you dislike?

If you haven't had previous experience like I did when first starting, it can be a bit daunting to understand, it's definitely a package for experienced users.

Wish that it had more features for the price of it, would prefer it if there were more options to make things stand out, everything seems a bit generic and copies most other packages, they need to implement things that will make them stand out more from other competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for if you want to be able to do video production, as well as editing and creating great pieces of work.

Editing videos and creating videos for my own personal use, but also for clients as well. This piece of software makes the process a lot easier, and saves a lot of time meaning I can get a lot of videos done in a day.

Final Cut Pro X review by Garret Y.
Garret Y.

"Using Final Cut X in Minor League Baseball"

What do you like best?

I have used Final Cut X and older versions of Final Cut Pro for the past five years. What I really enjoy about Final Cut X is how easy it is to develop my video projects to meet my deadlines. I can easily import my footage and start editing right away. The snapping tool makes it easy to organize the my footage and the direction I want my video to go. I can adjust audio levels or fix audio issues. I can fix color correction issues and other issues that may occur when filming. In minor league baseball we produce quite about of content for every game and it's important to have a video editing system that is easy to use and can produce content quickly. It also is important to be able to export files in different codecs, which Final Cut X allows you to do.

What do you dislike?

Just like any other video editing system Final Cut X will have moments when it will crash. Other than that I really haven't had any other issues develop while using this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although the price may scare some people away from considering using this product, I think it's worth every penny. In minor league baseball we produce quite about of content for every game and it's important to have a video editing system that is easy to use and can produce content quickly. It also is important to be able to export files in different codecs, which Final Cut X allows you to do.

The biggest problem solved using Final Cut X is creating highlight reels for each game. We can easily import our footage and put together a quick package to show our fans highlights from previous games. With the new 3D features it allows us to create 3D graphics that fans will enjoy on our Daktronics video board.

Final Cut Pro X review by G2 Crowd User
G2 Crowd User

"Quick way to edit video with professional results"

What do you like best?

Much cheaper than buying into the Adobe suite of video editing. Quick to import and manipulate items on the timeline. It's been great that Apple has provided all upgrades free of charge to users. The app is well integrated into the Mac OS system.

What do you dislike?

Wish it was quicker on my Duo-Core Intel MacBook Pro but I've never heard a video editor complain that their system was 'too fast' as everyone wants more speed for rendering video. Apple should make it easier to add favorites to the directory paths, editing text needs to be more responsive and intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a Mac OS user and want to produce professional results Final Cut Pro X is a great option. If you need to work cross-platform onto Mac and Windows then you'll have to go with Adobe. If you're coming from Final Cut Studio then the learning curve is high and it might actually be easier for you to go to Adobe but if you clear your mind and learn Final Cut Pro X you'll be rewarded with a great workflow.

Quickly editing news video where video needs to be ingested and pushed out in a hurry.

Final Cut Pro X review by Jessica M.
Jessica M.

"Great Program for video editors"

What do you like best?

I love Final Cut Pro X. I've tried other video editing software programs and always come back to this one. It seems like the best interface. I especially like the 'favorite' feature when logging my video. It makes it easy to string the best shots together quickly.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it acts slow and then crashes. It saves automatically, so most of the time, nothing is lost when it crashes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot. There are also lots of templates you can download to use in the program. Some of the templates are even free!

Telling stories through video

Final Cut Pro X review by Stephanie S.
Stephanie S.

"Great, and my personal favorite."

What do you like best?

It is simplistic and easy to catch on to. Even if you have used very minimal video editing software in the past using Final Cut only a couple of times it is easier to catch on with and remember the short cuts. Also, all edit can be done in Final Cut; audio, video, text, effects, etc. You only need this one program. Unlike Adobe Premiere if you want to do anything other then the basics adjustments you pretty much need the other programs. Examples to edit audio in another one of their programs, and adobe aftereffects for text/titles.

What do you dislike?

The price point I believe is why EVERYONE isn't using this everywhere.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Impressive piece of software. It does so much for so little, and once you overcome the learning curve (depending on previous use of other programs) you’ll most likely be editing faster than before, but after taking the time to learn the software you might learn to love it like I do.

It is a great product and more businesses should be using it.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Pro Editing Software - User Friendly!"

What do you like best?

Final Cut X definitely has a learning curve, and takes a while to actually get the hang of the shortcuts and tricks, but overall it's actually pretty user-friendly. It's great for working with HD/4K footage, and renders much faster than Premiere. Exporting doesn't usually take long either, and it's easy to create multiple projects and folders for your footage. Auto-save is a great feature too.

What do you dislike?

The flip side is it does take getting used to. I've been working with Final Cut X for about a year and I certainly know all the basics, but I'm not a pro at it yet. Takes lots of practice, as any skill does. In terms of specifics, sometimes you use the wrong tool or delete something you didn't intend to, but it's easy to undo everything, thankfully. It crashes sometimes and can get slow or glitchy when other apps are running or you're editing 4K footage, and that usually goes away if you restart the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great! Really well-made editing software, everyone uses it. Lots of advice and support when you need it.

We're a production and editing company, so it's the main software we use. All of us have some experience in it and have it on our computers so it's easy to transfer around projects between teammates. I personally have it on my own laptop as well to use for personal projects at home, it's now my go-to.

Final Cut Pro X review by Siddartha l.
Siddartha l.

"Movie makers wake up - This is best video editor for MAC OS"

What do you like best?

High end video effects with good 3Drendering as it uses all cores of processors. I have made many short films with this which is much handy and good takes effects to its next generation. Magnetic timeline is the most i like with this product editing timeline without knocking any other tabs is very effective. Many awsme plugins can be installed which reduces editor tasks. Multicam support is also good to use which handles 64 angles of photos and videos.

What do you dislike?

The main disadvantage is it is only available in MAC OS for which i have to shift to other OS for using this software. It takes lot of time to compose a full video compared to other softwares like imovie but at worth to much more effects compared to other softwares. Difficult to learn the softwares in small duration. Sometimes file gets corrupt while saving the composed video.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Movie makers wake up this is for you. For people with short time learners i dont prefer this becuase it takes some time to learn the software. And for professions this is the final step for them for making movies with good visuals as already movies like focus and fun house were made using this software only.

I create and edit videos depending on the necessity. We make some small movies with good effects then Final Cut Pro Ten helped a lot for coming up with good effects and plugins with easier way.

Final Cut Pro X review by Peter L.
Peter L.

"Best for fast work!"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is super fast if you want a quick workflow! I always use Final Cut when I need to do something simple like an interview. It's just so user-friendly!

What do you dislike?

Final Cut feels like a downgrade when you are accustomed to Premiere Pro, mostly because the features are tuned down in order to make it more user-friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a Mac, then Final Cut Pro X is for you!

We've been able to turn out many videos quickly because of how easy Premiere Pro is to use!

Final Cut Pro X review by Doug L.
Doug L.

"High Quality Video Editor, Great Results"

What do you like best?

= Color-correction controls = Very easy to use and non-destructive to the source video. While working on interior-location shoots, I found the white balance filter a time-saving tool.

= Stability Enhancement = There are very effective sliders to account for handheld shaking or tripod smoothing.

= Workspace Layout =

What do you dislike?

= the learning curve was steep = I recommend taking a class, as FCPX is a hard program to self-teach. The naming of Library/Project was difficult to understand at first.

= the keyboard shortcuts aren't intuitive = I wish they resembled the Adobe/Premiere toolbox.

Recommendations to others considering the product

See if your department/employer can find a training center nearby to help with learning.

My company used Adobe Premiere and found the walking footage was too bumpy and sweeping. Various plug-ins helped, but increased production time. After moving to Apple workstations, we found FCPX corrected stability issues to our satisfaction

Final Cut Pro X review by User

"Great software for movie editing"

What do you like best?

I like FCP because you can download plugins and effects and incorporate them to your movie. Also, the software is very easy to use if you are into computers, maybe a little bit of training if you are not. FCP keeps your work organized and efficient is made easier with the "roles feature, each video or audio asset can be assigned to a role.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I don't like about this is that it cannot be installed in a Windows platform. Also, sometimes an approach to timeline editing will turn off, but this is once every 4K loading.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read before you use, sometimes it might help some tutorials online before using the software.

This makes it easier to edit movies or files instead of hiring high cost editors.

Final Cut Pro X review by User

"The best video editing software in the world!"

What do you like best?

Ive been using it for roughly 5 years now and it ages like fine wine. The more you learn and discover, the better FCPX gets!

What do you dislike?

nothing! I love it.... aside from the random crashes sometimes, but that could be OSX related...

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend definitely reading tutorials on youtube or other final cut pro x videos on apple.com.

Professional video editing is one of the best things i captured with final cut pro x. its easy to use as a professional editing software and allows you to create fully professional movies with it.

Final Cut Pro X review by Alessandro C.
Alessandro C.

"Video editing for small YouTube production"

What do you like best?

Easy interface with the built-in support for pretty much every type of file format.

Lots of effects and customization options. What made me switch from Adobe Premiere is the rendering and export speed. With my 2011 MacBook Pro I can export a 30 seconds 4k video in 2 minutes, compared to 15 minutes in Premiere.

What do you dislike?

Bounded to the App Store and to the OSX environment, no interface customization available, and sometimes the magnetic timeline moves stuff around by itself. The first week was a bit of a nightmare in terms of usability.

Removing the monthly payment for Adobe Premiere and finding a faster rendering options for heavy videos.

FCPX is more suited and optimized for OSX, and from a performance prospective doesn't have equals.

Final Cut Pro X review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Final Cut makes the cut!"

What do you like best?

Final Cut Pro X is a phenomenal video editing tool from Apple, that is flexible and easy enough for the introductory user to use, but also detailed and advanced enough to be used in Hollywood!

What do you dislike?

Exporting and sharing video options is more convoluted than I'd like it to be, as I believe Apple is trying to make this a very user friendly interface.

Final Cut Pro X allows me to quickly mock video options up and send for production, as well as utilize built in effects to easily build a quick video.

Final Cut Pro X review by Samia N.
Samia N.