Fishbowl Inventory

Fishbowl is a solution for QuickBooks users looking for manufacturing and warehouse management software.

Work for Fishbowl Inventory?

Learning about Fishbowl Inventory?

Fishbowl Inventory Reviews

Ask Fishbowl Inventory a Question
Showing 29 Fishbowl Inventory reviews
Fishbowl Inventory review by <span>Stephanie C.</span>
Stephanie C.

"Fishbowl is a great product for a small to mid-sized company using Quickbooks "

What do you like best?

I like our implementation specialist, Anthony Mann, the best of all of the features of fishbowl. He has been amazing to work with. Extremely responsive, he has an amazing understanding of the product, he has gone above and beyond in helping us with both issues and just simple questions. Additionally the software is compatible with many platforms and if there isn't a native integration already available it is somewhat simple to have a new integration created. It is pretty user friendly, and anyone with moderate IT experience/interests will be able to set up the product. I implemented the system entirely on my own (I'm a CPA and have a decent understanding of IT and how systems communicate with each other.)

What do you dislike?

I think the reporting capabilities are limited. You are able to set up as many custom fields as you want that are specific to your business, but unless you get a custom report created or understand how to write in jasper files. The reporting in quickbooks is way more robust. This has been probably the biggest frustration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you fully understand the implementation process and follow the set up steps in order. They all build on each other. I would also request that a test database is set up for you (this was done for us for free which I think is standard) so that you can test transactions without messing up your real inventory or sales channels. I made the mistake of not doing this and had to have fishbowl reverse a bunch of transactions for me. It was a nightmare, but totally my fault. Had I tested everything in a non-live version I could have avoided this headache. I also recommend purchasing the number of training hours they recommend based on your consultation. You will definitely need them, even if it isn't used for training, but help in implementing. It's worth it.

The biggest reason we implemented fishbowl is because we were trying to find a system that was user friendly enough that someone who was not an accountant could process orders from start to finish. Additionally we needed to be able to track our inventory more automatically. Quickbooks was too manual.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Fishbowl Inventory
Fishbowl Inventory review by <span>Sheldon Z.</span>
Sheldon Z.

"It feels "half baked""

What do you like best?

It allows us to more easily track what is being manufactured and to make work orders that can go through the factory with the product as it is being made. Sales order entry is pretty easy.

What do you dislike?

Things I hate about Fishbowl -

- Their tech support. When you're selling a product that someone is going to run their entire company with, you'd better have outstanding tech support. Not so with Fishbowl. Their chat support staff are next to useless unless one of their canned responses helps out. Don't count on them unless you have an easy problem that you could figure out on your own unless you had to. If you need remote assistance, the chat people can't help out there either. You'll need to call the phone support and wait your turn.

- You can't customize it. Our salesperson told us of all the super awesome features that Fishbowl would do. Once we started setting it up, we found out that most of them cost between $300 and $1000 extra to use. You can't even customize a report to your liking. You've got to pay them to do it.

- Shipping. Shipping is a giant pain in the a**. We bought their $1000 ShipExpress plugin to make it easier. Ha! Not so much. ShipExpress works fine if you're shipping a single package per order because it will only print one UPS label. If you're shipping more than one box, you've got to use the Fishbowl shipping option. Unless you're shipping UPS 3rd party or Internationally. Then you've got to use UPS Worldship. Sound confusing? It is.

- Finance. You're still stuck with Quickbooks as well. Now you've got to maintain and be good at running two programs.

- Their updates. Every time a new update comes out, be prepared to limp along for a few days because something is pretty well guaranteed not to work for a while.

- The server. Be ready to have to restart the server, kicking everyone out of Fishbowl every week or so. It seems to be the best way to fix access issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd say don't do it. Save your money until you can afford a proper ERP.

The learning curve is so steep and the support is so poor, we're basically doing things the same way we did with Quickbooks, just using Fishbowl.

What Inventory Control solution do you use?

Fishbowl Inventory review by <span>Lisa S.</span>
Lisa S.

"It's almost a good program"

What do you like best?

It does keep track of inventory well, and it syncs with Quickbooks. Once it's synced with Quickbooks nothing can be changed or corrected, so that's a pain.

What do you dislike?

No one with Fishbowl seems to have any idea what a business does on a day to day basis, or what features would actually be helpful to someone who is selling the inventory Fishbowl is helping them keep track of. Being able to quickly and easily print a receipt is a tiny little detail that they evidently don't find important. It's a three-step process and it required a phone call to support to find where to go to find the option of printing it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking at Fishbowl because it's compatible with Mac... spoiler alert--it's not.

Be prepared for a friendly, helpful support staff that's very familiar with how the program is coded and absolutely no idea of how a business works or the day to day requirements. For instance, the most recent upgrade made printing a paid invoice receipt a three-step process. It doesn't sound like a lot, but I have to print a receipt for every order and now EACH ONE takes three times as long.

Another for instance... it took THREE MONTHS and probably 80 hours on the phone with support for them to figure out how to make Fishbowl sync with Woocommerce, a feature that the program supposedly already had. I honestly felt like I was the only client they had and they were figuring out how the program worked as we went along.

It does keep track of my inventory, and it syncs with Woocommerce so inventory stays current as orders come in. One of the reasons I went with Fishbowl was because it advertised the ability to sync with Woocommerce. I guess that was just an aspirational thing though, because it took three months of never-ending support phone calls for them to figure out how to make it sync.

Fishbowl Inventory review by <span>Jason F.</span>
Jason F.

"Great Product, make sure to get the onsite training and implementation package."

What do you like best?

The implementer that worked with me did a great job and we got a very personalized experience and a lot of up front training and support. They took care of all the hangups you're going to have when you implement new software to every employee at the company

What do you dislike?

If you want to split hairs this is a box type software and if you want to customize things in the UI there really isn't an option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to get at least an on-site training, and preferably an implementation package. They will even migrate your data for you if needed.

Solved all of my manufacturing tracking problems including tracking serial numbers and warranty expiration, and serial number tracking throughout my manufacture process.

Fishbowl Inventory review by <span>Laurie E.</span>
Laurie E.

"Stay away from this product"

What do you like best?

This program might work for a company that is all in one location, but I have several remote employees - this did not serve my business needs as I had hoped.

What do you dislike?

Technical support was lacking in knowledge and not always available for scheduled training; delivery of barcode scanners was not timely, couldn't customize the way I wanted to. Took five months to get the system mostly running, then when I tried to return the product because I was tired of the aggravation, they told me I was out of the return policy period and I had to involve my lawyers. Not good customer service at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stay on top of the 30 day return policy, if you have any doubts what so ever, CANCEL IMMEDIATELY. The management will try to make it difficult for you to make that decision within the 30 day period.

I wanted to be able to see my inventory in real time, QB's online cannot do that. No benefits from this product, just aggravation.

Fishbowl Inventory review by <span>Bradley D.</span>
Bradley D.

"Worst decision in my business history"

What do you like best?

It had a lot of advanced features, which, if set up and used correctly, could make a business more organized and proficient.

What do you dislike?

Fishbowl is a very misleading company that does not have the customers best interest in mind. The software layout is quite difficult to navigate and understand. It claims to integrate well with Quickbooks, but you will constantly find things which are not transferred. They give you a demo bike company system to start out with, but no instruction on how to start a fresh company or to connect it with quickbooks. We also came across a "bug" in their system which doubled our customers grand totals on sales orders & invoices. Customer service has unwilling to try and make things right. We attempted to get our money back after 45 days and are not being heard. Fishbowl does not care about their customers, after they are past their (hidden) 30 day return policy. Save yourself the stress & find another company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not recommend switching to fishbowl with an established company. It may work better if starting from scratch, but I wouldn't risk the merge of data.

None, it only created more.

Learning about Fishbowl Inventory?

* We monitor all Fishbowl Inventory reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.