FishEye

Make better decisions, faster. Visualize and report on activity and search for commits, files, revisions, or teammates across SVN, Git, Mercurial, CVS and Perforce.

Work for FishEye?

Showing 11 FishEye reviews
FishEye review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

Invaluable SVN-supporting code browser

What do you like best?

Being able to track changes back years and thousands of revisions in a simple manner is absolutely invaluable. Integration between FishEye and Jira is useful, being able to link revisions to issues and vice-versa helps when trying to see why a change was made at a future date.

Paired with a good IDE, FishEye fits practically all of my requirements from a developer standpoint. Whether providing other team members with the tools to prove that it was you who made the erroneous change is a good idea is an exercise for the reader!

What do you dislike?

Upgrading and installation process for FishEye is a little complex owing to its nature as a Java application. It seems a little voodoo-like at times, but that's just the nature of Java.

Sometimes the integration between FishEye and Jira isn't quite as straightforward as it could be, but this seems to have improved in recent updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd definitely recommend FishEye to anyone developing or maintaining software out of SVN or similar. The interface is well featured, intuitive and everything works as you'd expect.

We use FishEye as a means of easily reviewing changes done by different members of the team. It's useful to be able to see who changed which line of code and in which revision. We use a pretty old fashioned SVN-based repository, and FishEye handles this well without us needing to forklift replace the existing repositories.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about FishEye
FishEye review by <span>Patrick L.</span>
Patrick L.

Good tool if you are not using DVCS

What do you like best?

Just like any Atlassian products, it integrates tightly with the rest of the stack, giving you a complete development experience.

The ability to visualize what is going on in your code repository is also nice, as sometimes, you just need to be able to look at a piece of code without having to check out the entire code base. You can also perform diffs online in the browser.

It also indexes your code base, so searching through your code (if your code base is large) can be very handy as well.

What do you dislike?

For some reason, FishEye (at least when I was using it) feels very inconsistent with the other Atlassian products. For example, the user management part is clunky compared to other products. It now supports DVCS solutions such as git, but Bitbucket feels like a much better tool to use instead. Maybe it is the product's history, feels more like a tool for traditional VCS such as SVN.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using SVN or CVS, it would get the job done, but if you are using DVCS, such as git or mercurial, you should really consider using Bitbucket instead.

Mostly as an online code browser to view code without having to check out the entire code base. Diffing between revisions to find changes during team meetings.

What Enterprise Search solution do you use?

FishEye review by <span>Praveen K.</span>
Praveen K.

Perfect fit to track your code changes and code comparisions

What do you like best?

In my company, tech-team used to work on Jira to plan, track and report the each stage of development project. But being an Open Source Software and equipped with advance features and different capabilities, we integrated Jira with Fisheye. Now we have better track and monitoring for any changes or revisions in the code.

The best thing about Fisheye is:

1. Tracking is easy as it provides user-level notifications via email.

2. Integration with the traditional software development platforms.

What do you dislike?

It is not able to compare two different revisions such branches of a folder or two different folders.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is one of the best software for tracking and following what's happening in the project.

Our users can track any request/ticket raised by them to the support team. Our software development is able to track and visualize any code changes.

It has improved the SLAs for support services to clients.

FishEye review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

Will do the job - it's eh for me

What do you like best?

My company was only using FishEye when I first started working here. I had no complaints. I keeps track of our repositories and commits pretty well. It was integrated with our JIRA tickets so tracking everything was clear. My favorite thing was the logs it keeps of all commits. It includes the messages so if your developers and using good messages, you get a really clear timeline view of what's going on.

What do you dislike?

After a while of working here, we also started using BitBucket. That's when I started comparing the two products. Since I got used to BitBucket, I hate having to use Fisheye. It seems so much clunkier. As I mentioned the overview is really good on FishEye, but if you're trying to see specifics, navigation is a nightmare compared to BitBucket.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you must, it's not a bad option. (We used it with our SVN housed repos). But if you use git, get Bitbucket instead.

Code base tracking

FishEye review by User in Retail
User in Retail

Good product

What do you like best?

I like seeing each diff shown in each file. I like the fact that you can assign users to review submitted code.

What do you dislike?

It’s not extremely intuitive and when you assign multiple people to review, if one completes the review, I’d like to close the review instead of waiting for the other reviewers to review.

We are constantly having to get our code reviewed and fisheye allows us to integrate within Jira

FishEye review by User in Computer Software

The Revision Control Software Included with the Atlassian Suite

What do you like best?

The integration with FishEye and the other Atlassian tools is fantastic. FishEye is, in particular, one piece of software that makes up the Atlassian Suite of products. FishEye is the revision control piece of the entire suite that supports CVS, git, and subversion. It really integrates nicely with the other tools of the suite, allowing seamless integration with the review tool and issue tracking tool.

What do you dislike?

As state previously, the FishEye tool is not a free product. If you need a simple, free revision control tool, you could check out BitBucket which is another revision control tool owned by Atlassian.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in need of both revision control and a code review process, the combination of FishEye and Crucible is a fantastic tool for increased productivity and workflow. If you only need revision control, you might want to look into BitBucket which is a great alternative (and free for personal use).

I've used FishEye at my company to backup and share code with fellow teammates and other devices. It has saved our team a couple of times when we needed to roll back to a particular check-in or at least view old code that had been removed. The visual browser that it uses to manage the repository has saved our team countless hours and headache.

Learning about FishEye?

* We monitor all FishEye reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.