Flashdevelop

FlashDevelop offers first class support for ActionScript (2 & 3) and Haxe development. Great completion & code generation, projects compilation & debugging, plenty of project templates, SWF/SWC exploration etc. FlashDevelop is also a great web development IDE with source-control support (svn, git, mercurial), tasks, snippets, XML/HTML completion and zen-coding for HTML.

Work for Flashdevelop?
Rational application developer for websphere software 2x

Learning about Flashdevelop?

Flashdevelop Reviews

Showing 14 Flashdevelop reviews
Flashdevelop review by <span>Kyle J.</span>
Kyle J.

Flashdevelop Review

What do you like best?

I have been using for pretty much my whole career in developing and coding FlashDevelop. Things that I like about FlashDevelop is that it's very easy to get used to, especially if you are new to coding. It's a free application so it's a good alternative for businesses who can not afford the money for other programs that cost money. Granted, those programs are probably better but FlashDevelop works just fine and is something that I would recommend to a lot of people. It's UI is clean and nice so it will help with people who need to have an organized application or workstation. All my employees that have used FlashDeveloped have made huge progress on their projects and get them done much faster than usual. FlashDevelop also has great support for ActionScript and Haxe development. It's a very good application to generate code and compile it as well as debugging code.FlashDevelop can also be used for web development and it is all open source.

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike many things about FlashDevelop, however, FlashDevelop is not close to the other applications that are more popular but it does get the job done and my workers seem to like it so I don't see too many problems with FlashDevelop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really recommend other businesses and people to use FlashDevelop. I have been using this pretty much my whole career and it works fine for me and my employees. This works and I encourage others to try to use this app if they are in a predicament

FlashDevelop is open source which many of my employees like. My whole company uses FlashDevelop and I have realized that for a small company, this program gets the job done as effective as pretty much anything else. Benefits business wise is that it is cheap. Evey employee uses FlashDevelop at my company and I will continue to use it as long as it is being effective for the workers.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Flashdevelop
Flashdevelop review by User in Computer Games
User in Computer Games

Essential for any Flash/AIR/Haxe/OpenFL developers using a Windows Environment

What do you like best?

FlashDevelop is a must-have for anyone developing Flash and Adobe AIR software. Code completion speed by far is the fastest I've ever seen in any IDE for any language. Pressing a key pops up the code completion panel instantaneously, and it has never showed a degradation in performance even in projects with hundreds of source files, some of which being tens of thousands of lines long in some cases. Not to mention the debugger is a godsend.

It is also by far the best windows IDE for developing with OpenFL and Haxe. It gets all the same benefits of AS3 code intelligence for the Haxe language.

What do you dislike?

Its plugin community is not all that well maintained. While there are some extremely useful plugins, some are buggy (and some will break when there is a major update). Its internal update mechanism "AppMan" could also be improved, as some of the tools you choose to install are not a simple one-and-done process (and possibly could be if implemented)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Developers who are still building their Flash/AIR products directly through the Adobe Flash/Animate IDE should migrate over right away. It's very simple and will have a huge impact on the speed of your future workflows. Simply use Adobe Flash/Animate as an asset creation tool instead (.SWCs) and use FlashDevelop for all of your ActionScript purposes.

It has cut down build times for Flash projects significantly compared to using the Adobe Flash (Animate) IDE, and encourages keeping source code out of the Flash .fla timeline. This is made it much easier to maintain code bases of a massive size, especially since loading assets into a project from .SWC files is a breeze with the IDE

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Flashdevelop review by <span>Daniel S.</span>
Daniel S.

Much better than Flash Professional

What do you like best?

Much more robust IDE than Adobe Flash Professional.

What do you dislike?

Not quite as enjoyable of an experience as using other more user-friendly IDEs.

I have written ActionScript in Adobe Flash Professional and it just isn't an effective IDE. FlashDevelop includes many features that Flash Professional does not, even basic things like searching a whole project or refactoring. It's not the best IDE that I have used in my career but for simple ActionScript development it gets the job done comfortably, which cannot be said about Adobe's offering.

Flashdevelop review by User in Computer Games
User in Computer Games

Great AS3 Tool

What do you like best?

FlashDevelop is a great light-weight tool for developing in ActionScript, it makes joint development easy and is very flexible for different project types.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I find myself disliking about FlashDevelop is not being able to figure out all the customization for code style/layout. Somehow, no matter what settings I tweak, the auto layout is never what I want, so I only use it sparingly and then have to adjust.

I have also heard complaints about it not working on Mac, but I never work on a Mac so cannot verify.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your developers will all have access to development on Windows machines, I highly recommend it!

We use FlashDevelop across the company, for developing our AS3 projects. It's flexible and extremely useful. Having a lightweight Flash development tool is key in being productive as a Flash developer.

Flashdevelop review by <span>Luis V.</span>
Luis V.

The best free IDE for AS3

What do you like best?

I like it because It is a very lightweight IDE, it can work in diferent PC without incovenient. You can create several kinds of project like AS3, Adobe AIR, Haxe and even PHP.

I love its shortcuts they are life saver.

What do you dislike?

I should have an auto update option for adobe air sdk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you come for a Visual Studio enviroment, this is almost the same, you will loved as mucha I do

It allow us to organize our projects in more elegant way.

Flashdevelop review by User in Marketing and Advertising

A great dev env to write simulations with ActionScript 3

What do you like best?

We all know that Flash has been modified as a danger due to all it's security issues, but you can't argue as a software developer on how elegant ActionScript 3 is, at least that's my opinion.

The fact that you can get a free IDE to work in Flash, that is compatible with Adobe Flash and Adobe FLEX projects, that it has it's own package manager to download debug tools, compilers, additional packages and more is just awesome.

It's free, it's constantly maintained and updated, has great support, tons of documentation and you can keep working in ActionScript 3, no matter what happened with Flash and with the new HTML5 technologies.

What do you dislike?

This tool runs over Java so sometimes it can literally eat all your RAM memory.

Also, it doesn't have as many plugins compared to other IDEs for similar technologies like PHPStorm, WebStorm vs Eclipse, but I believe that's because not many developers are still working with ActionScript 3.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not much. If you are a software developer, you must have used some IDEs before like Eclipse vs PHPStorm or WebStorm, so you will be just fine.

It's very friendly since it has its own package manager so you won't have to mess with the path or complicated installations.

I have done several simulations with ActionScript 3 since the Flash technology is great for visual stuff, plus my knowledge and experience as a software developer and with Flash made it a good choice for this.

Learning about Flashdevelop?

* We monitor all Flashdevelop reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.