Flex

For more than 35 years, Spillman Flex has provided public safety professionals with innovative software solutions and reliable customer service. Flex is now a part of Motorola Solutions' end to end Command Center Software suite, providing a complete software solution for agencies nationwide.

Work for Flex?

Learning about Flex?

Compare Flex to Similar Solutions

Flex Reviews

Ask Flex a Question
Showing 24 Flex reviews
Flex review by Elizabeth Z.
Elizabeth Z.

"Spillman Flex is a user friendly program"

What do you like best?

Spillman Flex is easy to use and to teach someone to use. I like that I can change the font style and size and also the colors on my screen. I can also move the screens around. I like being able to turn a traffic stop into a traffic call and to be able to put more than one officer on the same traffic stop.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it freezes or runs slow and upgrades often seem to take longer than expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It handles our needs as call takers/dispatchers. We do not use pre-arrival instructions.

Spillman Flex allows us to have precise dispatch times for police, fire and rescue. We are able to time stamp everything and then look up specific times at a later date.,

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Flex
Flex review by Bob A.
Bob A.

"Amazing company and a fantastic product!"

What do you like best?

Spillman's strongest selling point is their customer service. They assign a dedicated account manager who acts as a liaison between their company and the customer. It makes me feel as though I have a direct line to them and that they are sincerely interested in my overall satisfaction. Their product is top-notch and is incredibly stable. We've used it for over ten years and have been extremely happy with it.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint would be development time for new products or product enhancements. It's a double edge sword in that their product is thoroughly tested and thought through before release, which makes it great, but it also requires a lot of time to develop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will not find a more stable comprehensive product on the market. This company is one of the best and considers their customer base to be their number one asset. They listen, respond, and follow through when needed. As a system administrator I have incredible peace of mind knowing their server, and end user clients are incredibly stable.

We are providing a software solution to the officers in the field which enables them rapid access to critical information.

What Other Public Safety solution do you use?

Flex review by Jesse L.
Jesse L.

"The Life Of Our Operation"

What do you like best?

The software is modular and expandable to meet any of our needs. If we need something new out of the software, Spillman listens to their customers and builds everything around what we are wanting the software to do.

What do you dislike?

The price of the modules can be a bit out of reach for immediate purchase for smaller agencies. We have to budget a year or sometimes more in advance to be able to add to the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you ask lots of questions and cover all the needs you are seeking. They usually have a solution available or in the works that will be available soon. If they don't, there is a good chance they will get it into development soon.

The software is an all around solution for Emergency Services. It brings integrity to the operation from the call coming into the dispatch center all the way through to the end process of year end reports or prosecuting that big case.

Spillman also allows us to integrate to other systems that we deal with in a Detention Center or Dispatch Center. It helps to streamline our processes.

The ability to pull data and build custom reports or integrate with software such as Crystal Reports is a major benefit to this agency.

Flex review by Tammy S.
Tammy S.

"Complete package"

What do you like best?

As an administrator for this product for 10 years, I like that Spillman makes you feel like you are part of their family, not just a customer. They have taken the time to teach me how to fix issues I may encounter and encourage me to learn more. Every interaction I have had with a member of Spillman has been positive whether it's a member of the sales team, our account manager or support. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help. If they don't have the answer for you, they find it and get back to you quickly.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any dislikes at this point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spillman is the complete package. They make sure they keep up to date with security issues and needs of the ever changing job. They are very proactive in making sure they develop partnerships with companies to improve the product offering to the end user. They request and take in to consideration users suggestions or ideas on enhancements to the sytem.

Currently our Civil Deputies have been doing their job in an antiquated way. They do everything on paper using 3 part forms for billing and tracking of their services. We are in the process of purchasing the civil module which should help them work more efficiently.

Flex review by Eli E.
Eli E.

"Spillman is a Great Software Company"

What do you like best?

Modifications are easily done within the backside of Spillman. The many logs within the software make it very easy to track down issues that arise and who the user was that was responsible. Support is very helpful in diagnosing any issues that arise and they want to teach you how to fix the problem yourself instead of constantly relying on their help.

What do you dislike?

I can't contact support until 10:00 am EDT. It would be nice if they would open up their support department for those customers in the Eastern time zone, so we don't have to wait a couple of hours to phone in any questions or issues that might come up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a lot of set up involved, but once it is in place Spillman is a great software for any public safety agency.

Making dispatch run smoothly. The software is helping make the police department more efficient. Once we have the software fully implemented and everyone has a handle on how things work the department expects to use the software for many years.

Flex review by User in Legal Services
User in Legal Services

"Learning curve "

What do you like best?

I like that the interface is visual & not a drastic change from the pre ious version

What do you dislike?

The appearance has softened and things aren’t as crisp and clean as they were make g it sometimes hard to determine what the icon really is

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s worth using because it really can do a lot

Data procrssing & info management

Flex review by Mike G.
Mike G.

"Great Company with Flexible Software"

What do you like best?

Their software is versatile. We use it as our CAD software, on patrol's mobile data terminals, for records management, and for the jail. Spillman's customization is another strength. Many things were changed to fit our specific needs. It has the ability to provide the information needed to create a report for almost anything. Their customer support is also helpful.

What do you dislike?

While helpful, their customer support is only available after 10AM EST as they are based in Utah. Also, while most of our calls to customer service are solved quickly, some more complex problems have taken weeks or months (or even years in one case...).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your ESRI/mapping data is immaculate. Many aspects of the CAD rely on it to function properly.

In attempting to solve all of the problems related to computer aided dispatch systems we have realized how flexible the Spillman software is.

Flex review by John R.
John R.

"Solid Platform"

What do you like best?

Super stable environment, we've been using this software with multiple law agencies, jail, and dispatch for over 10 years and have had no unexpected/unscheduled downtime.

Great support and customer service as well!

What do you dislike?

The tradeoff for stability is a very slow upgrade cycle and UNIX server platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find customers similar to you that use the product (outside Utah if possible - they get a little special treatment) and spend at least a half day with end users. Do ride-alongs, sit-alongs, etc. You will be pleased, and you will find the right questions to ask and the right functionality to insist on in your contract.

Multi-agency law records management - huge benefits in data sharing and accessibility, outstanding reporting capabilities and very, very granular security controls.

Flex review by Jessica B.
Jessica B.

"Thrilled to be a part of the Spillman community!"

What do you like best?

Our agency went live in June 2014. Though we have only been on for a short time I am extremely pleased with the system. We have more ways to report and gather information/statistics than we ever have. Being able to map incidents to see what hot spots need more attention is very useful. Sharing data between our local agencies connected to the system is a huge asset.

What do you dislike?

There are hundreds of reports available with the system but it seems like in some modules we can't find an exact one for what information is needed.

This is the first time our specific agency has had mobile devices. Being able to communicate to those on the road has solved several time and safety issues.

Flex review by Sabrina H.
Sabrina H.

"I would never consider switching CAD programs"

What do you like best?

Spillman is a very sound, dependable user friendly CAD program. Not to mention the customer service with this company, they go above and beyond to make sure their customers are getting everything they need. They are quick to answer of find the answers to any questions you may have. Our dispatchers love this system, we are excited to be currently moving forward utilizing the system to more of it's potential than we have been using it in the past. The user conference is a great place to pick up more information from other agencies and Spillman.

What do you dislike?

At this point in time I can not say I have any dislikes of this program. If there is a certain module you don't own, normally there is a work around within the system you just need to become creative.

We have currently brought the Sheriffs Dept on with the MDC, purchased Spillman Touch, and RIP & RUN. RIP & RUN we are hoping to have going within the first quarter of 2015. Also, recently within the past two weeks we had a trainer come in and give us training on our system to help us learn how to utilize it correctly. The amount of knowledge we gained within that 3 day period was amazing. We intend to implement these changes as soon as our migration is completed. Our jail will also, hopefully be coming on with us soon.

Flex review by Edna B.
Edna B.

"Strong Evolving Company"

What do you like best?

Spillman is a company that listens to it's customers to look at enhancements of the applications. Law enforcement, fire and EMS are an ever evolving business. Spillman has taken this seriously to make it the best dispatch, records management, and jail management system. Our agency has been with Spillman for over 25 years and have been very pleased with the product.

What do you dislike?

Spillman is a company that looks to the future but they cannot be all thing to all agencies. Because something works for our agency does not mean it will work for another. They do have limitations as we all do. The maintenance and new modules are pricey.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would and have recommend Spillman to other agencies.

Our agency pretty much covers all areas of records/jail management, dispatch with Spillman. The benefits of having a one stop shop for our records and applications is very nice. Spillman has good reports within the system and if there is not a report in the system, then crystal reports works well with spillman to pull additional statistics.

Flex review by Santresia D.
Santresia D.

"Excellent solution for any Public Safety organization!"

What do you like best?

The customer service that I receive from Spillman is extremely good. A service representative is always available whenever I call & able to either resolve my issue or direct me to the appropriate department to help resolve the issue. Although my organization uses an older version of the software, which I believe is no longer supported, the tech support team is always willing to go over & beyond to do the best that they can to help. The staff is always friendly & courteous. The solution itself is one of the better solutions that I've seen & is very user-friendly. I also love the yearly User Conference that's held at their corporate office in Salt Lake City, Utah. You have to opportunity to meet so many wonderful & knowledgeable people from all over the country. Each region has their own group of municipalities, so attending the conference affords you the opportunity to meet individuals that you may communicate via email/phone face to face. The events are well put together, very informative, & super duper FUN!

What do you dislike?

For the version that my organization currently uses, the only drawback that I have with the solution, is that it's Unix-based. However, I know that Spillman currently offers a Windows-based solution as well, which we are possibly looking into migrating to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that any organization looking to use Spillman as their solution of choice for public safety needs, reach out to one of the many helpful account managers & see if they are willing to set up a meeting on site to discuss the various modules/services that are offered. I've worked to a couple of their account managers & all of them were always extremely helpful & would regularly reach out to me to see if there was anything that they could assist us with. Whenever they are in the area, we can usually expect to receive a visit. I would definitely recommend Spillman.

We mainly use the solution for our police officers, which allows them to effectively & efficiently patrol our city. We also use Spillman in our records department for records management & in our communications departments. The software allows our dispatchers to manage their calls & appropriately dispatch officers to the accurate location in a timely manner.

Flex review by Ukish K.
Ukish K.

"I have been an administrator for almost 10 years"

What do you like best?

Since Spillman is a relational database, it is easy to gather information. With little effort, you can see all involvements for an incident, or a person. I also like how the CAD and Mobile systems work together so we can see exactly what is going on with ease. The Spillman system is stable, so we have very minimal down time, which is critical. We are also a host agency for our neighboring police department, which is very conducive for joint efforts. Everyone at Spillman has made me feel like I'm part of their organization.

What do you dislike?

Patching. It's the only time our system is down, and we're a bit spoiled in that area.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any time you are considering a major software purchase, conduct site visits of other organizations running the software. Product demos by the vendor are great, but seeing the product in action at a similar agency to your own, is very valuable.

We are working toward keeping officers out on the road as much as possible. Spillman Mobile has come a long way, and they are constantly working with us to make it even better. Being able to write most of our reports from the vehicle has helped us to keep our officers highly visible in the community.

Flex review by Brodie H.
Brodie H.

"top notch"

What do you like best?

I like the family atmosphere that they have from their techs to the sales reps. They become part of your work family and can rely on them for anything. They take the time to get to know you and touch base throughout the year to make sure you are a happy customer.

What do you dislike?

This is very hard to come up with one. I will go with their time zone!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely. I have used a competitors software as well for a few years prior to using Spillman. They both did basically the same thing, but Spillman customer services we here far superior!

We have converted over to tablets in the cruisers. Even though they have their issues do to some settings within the Spillman software, they have taken the time to listen and founds ways to work within the system.

I have realized that we can be part of a solution because they do listen to me.

Flex review by Julie M.
Julie M.

"A Great Public Safety Software Solution"

What do you like best?

I've been working in public safety for 33 years and am the Spillman Applications Administrator for an Arizona agency, of about 50 employees, which has been using Spillman's CAD/RMS since 1997 for law enforcement, fire, and EMS agencies on a UNIX platform. I've used other CAD/RMS solutions. Without hesitation I am happy to say that Spillman Technologies is our vendor of choice. Beyond the downtime required for upgrades, our Spillman system has been 100% reliable. I appreciate the fact that development of Spillman's software is user-driven, providing real solutions for today's public safety personnel. The applications are developed with an eye on emerging technologies and with the flexibility to meet a wide range of needs and preferences. I have a strong belief that you get what you pay for and, although there may be less expensive CAD/RMS systems on the market, what Spillman delivers is worth every penny. The after-sales support is very good. Spillman's support team is friendly and anxious to help wirh on-demand problem resolution. Spillman seems to make every effort to staff their support team at a level that meets the demands of it's customer base. One of the many ways Spillman Technologies provides opportunity to improve the customer experience is through continued education. Every year Spillman hosts a training conference for it's user agencies. Development tracks cover topics such as system administration, CAD, RMS, Mobile, Corrections, GIS, R & D, and operational leadership. I believe Spillman's applications to be an excellent investment of taxpayer dollars for the value received.

What do you dislike?

There have been a few occasions when I've experiences a unique, non-critical, application issue and had to wait for the availability of a technician with a specialized skill set but have never experienced wait time when faced with a mission-critical issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before selecting a CAD/RMS vendor, conduct site visits at Spillman agencies to evaluate the user experience. In order to gain a clear understanding of how Spillman integrates applications, spend time with Spillman end-users as they use the software. Take time to see how information is extrapolated from the database(s). Contact Spillman Administrators to learn, first-hand, what is involved in the applications' management and their experiences with product support. Once you've done that, do the same thing at agencies using a different vendor. This will help guide you to the right solution for your agency.

Spillman Technologies' applications are providing us with a comprehensive solution for the integration of CAD and RMS as well as GIS and Mobile data.

We are able to leverage real time information and share it across jurisdictional boundaries. Spillman's Mobile applications allow our mobile users access to critical resources in the field.

Flex review by Rick L.
Rick L.

"Spillman public safety software is a one stop platform for your Police, Fire and Dispatch needs "

What do you like best?

You can just select the modules of the software that you need for your city/agency, and the support is outstanding, From the initial "go live" start up to the help desk support down the road every effort is made to ensure everthing is running smoothly.

What do you dislike?

some of the modules are "one size fits all" we have a small jail (9 beds) and the module is written for a much large facility. This isn't too big of a problem, but there are screens we have to skip over because we will never use them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest going to a Department that runs the software, to get a first hand look at it in action. Speaking to the front line folks using it will give you a better feel for if it's right for your agency.

We use this software to run our entire Department, from Dispatch, Records, Property and Evidence, Jail, and the personnel training, everything can tracked and located in the Spillman software.

Flex review by Karl H.
Karl H.

"SPILLMAN Technologies-Where SUPPORT is the key."

What do you like best?

Spilln Technologies support after the sale is second to NONE in the software field. Their support technicians are knowledgeable AND helpful whenever I call in with a problem. I know that if the answer is not readily available, the support tech will find the answer or have another support tech call back with the answer.

What do you dislike?

I have been with SPILLMAN since 1996, and I really liked the company when users and support staff knew each other personally. Don't get me wrong, the current support staff is very good,it was just more FUN in the old days !

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't think twice, you will be happy if you let it work for you !

Ease of records management.

Flex review by Teresa C.
Teresa C.

"Top Software in its Category! "

What do you like best?

Spillman is reliable, stable and an excellent product for computer aided dispatch. It is easy to use and makes the already chaotic job of dispatch simple and streamlined.

What do you dislike?

We have not disliked anything about this product. We do find the constant changing of support technician a little frustrating. Sometimes it makes troubleshooting take a little longer because you have to bring the technician up to your experience level. However, they are always very polite and eager to do whatever I need them to do in order to solve my problem.

I am constantly working to utilize Spillman to be as effective and efficient to promote excellent Public Safety Records for the Agencies and Public we serve.

Flex review by Steve E.
Steve E.

"Not an open platform, impossible to work with"

What do you like best?

Spillman is a fairly complete product that is well accepted.

What do you dislike?

If your looking to integrate with other solutions I would look elsewhere. The supposedly have a SDK, but you have to go through their sales force and get approval just to get it. I have been trying over a year to get access to their super secret software development kit. As a developer, any product worth anything has an open to the public SDK that enables anyone and everyone to integrate with and improve / extend their products.

I have been trying to improve user integration with Spillman

Flex review by User in Mental Health Care
User in Mental Health Care

"Old Tech "

What do you like best?

Attaching pictures to cases and CAD is helpful.

What do you dislike?

Flex reminds me of MS DOS. It feels like old tech.

Recommendations to others considering the product

None

The workflow feature tracks to the last person to work on a case was. If it's not finished, we know which user needs to finish their project.

Flex review by Administrator in Law Enforcement
Administrator in Law Enforcement

"I have had a great experience with Spillman Technologies. "

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use; ability to extract a large variety of data not to mention its stability.

What do you dislike?

Cost can be an issue for smaller agencies wanting this reliable software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great reliable product that is well worth the investment.

This software is used for a variety of law enforcement issues. The primary benefit is the documentation permitted.

Flex review by User in Law Enforcement
User in Law Enforcement

"Spillman"

What do you like best?

The interface of the software and the ease of getting around

What do you dislike?

Bugs and flow from one database to another

It is a good piece of software for housing many different databases so you can access a lot of information in one place

Flex review by Vickie T.
Vickie T.

"Easy use for end user."

What do you like best?

Ease of use for end user. Once the program is mastered, the finished reports, etc, are unlimited.

What do you dislike?

Inability to always find a report I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visit other agencies that currently use Spillman.

Pin mapping - used monthly by our Patrol Captain to show where accidents happen in the county. This also fulfills a state statute.

Flex review by Billie L.
Billie L.

"Love their product "

What do you like best?

The ease of use and their search function

What do you dislike?

Moblie map is the only thing I can think that I don't care for, it needs some updating

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visit a site that uses the product

We use this system to connect and add regional cinnectivity

Learning about Flex?

* We monitor all Flex reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Flex to Similar Solutions