FME

4.8

FME lets you connect and transform spatial data. Build workspaces in a few quick clicks using FME's drag-and-drop interface. Workspaces are repeatable and can be run again and again. No coding is required, which means you can spend more time using your data and less time fighting with it. (And if you really want, FME Desktop also supports Python)

Work for FME?

Learning about FME?

FME Reviews

Ask FME a Question
Showing 10 FME reviews
FME review by Michael K.
Michael K.

"Best Data Translator Available"

What do you like best?

Sets the standard for geospatial and non-geospatial data translations. The software allows you to do simple point-and-click data translations, graphical user interface (GUI) translations and code-based script translations.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike about the software, it is the best data translator available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wouldn't waste a bunch of time considering other GIS/CAD data translation tools, the FME suite of products provides virtually every type of translation you could ever need. Just like any new software, there will be a leading curve, but the tech support and training options are solid. They are fairly active in going out and doing seminars around the world.

Typical applications are to translate CAD drawings to GIS data formats and vice versa, also we do customized script translations for format CAD drawings to meet our organization's needs. The software allows us to streamline operations when we receive data (GIS and CAD) from external sources as we can quickly convert to match our base information (formats and projections).

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about FME
FME review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"FME - More powerful than ArcToolbox"

What do you like best?

When you build an FME tool, you can set it to run on a spatial database while Arcmap is still open, and the tool will not lock! As if that's not enough, FME is continually adding new transformers to their toolbox. When you want to learn a new FME skill, all the training and chat support is free. They offer beginner training as well as advanced training on FME Server.

What do you dislike?

FME has a lot of transformers, and the names are not the same as Arc Toolbox. For the beginner, you have to get used to this. The good thing is, FME chat is free. You can tell the chat box what you are trying to achieve, and the FME support specialist will give you some ideas. Sometimes you have to request a few times before finding the transformer that works best for your task. The transformers work differently tan Arc Toolbox tools, so you have to think about solving your problem from an FME perspective, not an Arc Toolbox perspective.

Recommendations to others considering the product

FME is a great addition to your toolbox, but not a replacement for ArcMap. It has a graphical interface, similar to ArcToolbox. There is free, instructor-led training available online, from beginner, to advanced to server. The training includes access to remote desktop computers, and the manual.

I use FME to analyze and manipulate data from pipeline databases, particularly PODS relational and spatial. For repetitive tasks, I put these new tools on the FME server.

What On-Premise Data Integration solution do you use?

FME review by Scott F.
Scott F.

"Fantastic tool for ETL automation"

What do you like best?

We have primarily used it for the purposes of ETL's (export, transform, load) and really like the way we can leverage so many different transformers to build the ETL's and once pushed to the server are able to automate the tasks quick and easy.

What do you dislike?

Can't say there has been a whole lot with the server we haven't liked but we are still working to learn all of its potential capabilities and how we can better integrate and use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While this is a robust program keep in mind it is definitely more spatial oriented so if you are planning to do ETL work there may be some better options out there and will be best determined by your data and workflow needs.

We do heavy work with ESRI data and often get data in non-spatial formats or in more historical data formats. One of our challenges has been working to migrate this data to newer database platforms and when possible build the spatial components of the data. In cases where we are pulling data from live systems we created nightly ETL's (export, transform, load) jobs that are automated and run through FME server. This ensures daily updates of the data and provides us with consistent enterprise data across our environments. This saves the time of manually running dozens of jobs and because it can be automated we run them overnight during off-peak hours. It's been a true saver of our resources and allowed the organization to make better decisions from the data we provide.

FME review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Utilities
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Utilities

"FME and GIS"

What do you like best?

I like that FME can process large workflows and has many options to translate data based on the needs of our company. FME has saved me hundreds of hours of manual labor and has allowed me to speed up data updates.

What do you dislike?

Some of the translators have a bit of a learning curve. Sometimes updates seem to change or break things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a 60 day free trial. Try it first! Support was a great help for me while I was trying it.

I am solving the issue of manually doing all of the data processing. The automation of lot of this work is a phenomenal benefit. We have been able to meet strict time requests because of FME.

FME review by John G.
John G.

"FME rocks"

What do you like best?

Ability to connect to almost any web API

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I dislike. Maybe the need to install a local client but I think Safe has a plan to make their studio 100% available in the cloud.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best tools you can find for managing all kinds of data

Analyzing, transforming, storing, and reporting spatial data. Pulling data from various web APIs and integrating it in our reports

FME review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Fme server "

What do you like best?

Very powerful, integrates with a huge range of systems and file syrictures/types/databases

What do you dislike?

Some of the transformer names are a bit funny, but you learn them

Systems intergrarion, streamlining and automating processes. Developing new systems

FME review by Consultant in Market Research
Consultant in Market Research

"FME Review"

What do you like best?

I like that you can connect and transform your data. You can also connect your platforms using any format. I also like that there is no coding.

What do you dislike?

Currently there is nothing that I disliked

I am able to convert my data without the use of coding. The benefits are that there is no coding and I can convert my data into whatever platform I choose.

FME review by User

"Works as expected"

What do you like best?

Put in one file type and another one (desired) will come out on the other end. It does exactly what you can expect it to do.

What do you dislike?

The interface and whole ux could use a bit of a revamp into 2018

Able to now perform complex automated analysis in the form of FME workbenches.

FME review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Awesome product"

What do you like best?

Data flexibility and overall usability. Great support

What do you dislike?

Limited to license level based on base product

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use arc toolbox often consider the switch

GIS analyst and big data

FME review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"I have used FME Server for two years."

What do you like best?

To schedule the tasks and the real time application.

What do you dislike?

The configuration is more complex than other software.

To schedule the data re-write task at night. Update the database.

Learning about FME?

* We monitor all FME reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.