FreshBooks

A fast way to invoice clients, track time & run your small business in the cloud. Join all of FreshBooks users who are making billing painless. Try it Free!

Work for FreshBooks?

Learning about FreshBooks?

FreshBooks Reviews

Showing 210 FreshBooks reviews
FreshBooks review by Brandon L.
Brandon L.
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about FreshBooks
FreshBooks review by JULIO MANUEL R.
JULIO MANUEL R.

" Effective payroll for self-employed and remote workers"

What do you like best?

The Employer benefits from the process in which the employee is paid only at the hours the employee has been productive. Every minute is worth paying as time is maximized and used. With the details of the work included, management can see if the worker followed the assigned tasks and what has yet to be completed. The employee can link their PayPal for the payment option or the salary payment method

What do you dislike?

One of the shortcomings that our companies see is the lack of time tracking. It is the least intuitive part of the whole experience. The browser extension would be much better if I did not disconnect as often as it does

Recommendations to others considering the product

Freshbooks is a time saving for accounting. I can track the expenses right here. I do not have to use another application

the effectiveness of creating invoices, many other tools related to accounting to choose from with your subscription, has the ability to convert a budget and bill. This allows you to start working on a project quickly

What Small-Business Accounting solution do you use?

FreshBooks review by Asia M.
Asia M.

"Solopreneurs, freelancers, and invoicers, rejoice!"

What do you like best?

The beauty and ease of the platform. Sending invoices is an actual JOY. Being able to configure specific details for every single invoice is also awesome.

I also really like the ability to brand invoices and create them with clarity. They're not confusing to read or understand when you receive one. That gives me confidence that my clients will have just as good of an experience as I will.

What do you dislike?

There are some things about the experience I wish I could more actively control or automate. For example, when taking a deposit on an invoice, the recipient gets the email and it says that it's for the full amount (even though I know it's not, the client doesn't necessarily know that).

There are tiny things that are confusing for clients that receive the invoices. I wish there was a way to adjust the experience so clients don't end up super confused about something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say if you're looking for a simple, easy tool to use to invoice your clients, check out FreshBooks. It doesn't matter what your business is - you'll be able to send beautiful, simple invoices that anyone can understand.

I've seen (and used) a lot of really clunky invoicing platforms. As a marketer and solopreneur, it's important that I both save time *and* provide an amazing experience to my clients. It shouldn't be a pain or a hassle to pay me. It should reflect what it's like to work with me. FreshBooks does that for me and my business.

FreshBooks review by Marly D.
Marly D.

"Fantastic Invoicing, Lackluster Bookkeeping"

What do you like best?

The invoicing and time-tracking system is seamless. I've never had an issue tracking time worked for a client, and then quickly generating an invoice that is clear to read, easy to use, and accepts all of the appropriate methods of payment. The user interface is easy to navigate, allows you keep track of your invoices, proposals, estimates, and clients.

What do you dislike?

When generating a new invoice based on Client B's time, I want Client D's hourly rate to be present. However, if I invoiced Client A first their rate will often pre-populate Client B's invoice. You then have to individually change each line's rate (if you use the detailed listing). Very frustrating and time-consuming for a simple oversight. The accounting/bookkeeping system is also very lackluster. I don't need it to be as thorough as QuickBooks, but some printable or downloadable expense sheets would be better. Perhaps an easier way to add vendors as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Freshbooks is definitely not an intuitive enough system for bookkeeping. I would use it primarily for time-tracking, invoicing, and proposals.

I use Freshbooks to track time worked for clients and easily transfer it over to an invoice. This is fantastic for me because the UI is clean, and easier to navigate than other applications.

FreshBooks review by Udi U.
Udi U.

"Customer Support - Freshbooks or XERO?"

What do you like best?

Customer Support is far better than XERO. I was in contact with both providers due to a data migration. Freshbooks support is WOW.

What do you dislike?

Bank reconciliation (Australia). XERO bank reconciliation is better as it has 2 way integration

I used Freshbooks for years. Probably since 2007. But due to few matters with the business I had to go to Xero. I was in chat with Melanie and Rich B from customer support asking for help with data migration. They were extremely helpful I have to say. I kept changing the goal post but they were kind enough to accommodate my needs until I was able to fully migrate my data successfully. I requested support from XERO as well during the migration. But I have to say Freshbooks support was off the roof. Thanks Melanie and Rich B :)

FreshBooks review by Johnathan L.
Johnathan L.

"Great for the Solo Entrpreneur Start-Ups"

What do you like best?

The price point is perfect, the ease of setting up an account. The ability to set up my services in the application, no software to install since it is cloud based, the mobile app, ability to set up the invoice and estimates template, connection to my business bank account, ability to track when an invoice has been opened.

What do you dislike?

It is a good simple account receivable system to use. I don't have many dislikes. Perhaps it would be nicer if they had more templates to choose from? Also, the manual entry for each service is annoying. Also, I would like to have an auto-incrementing Invoice number system for each client. It wants to have the auto0incrementing across all clients and my system does not work that way. I have to remember each clients invoice number and increment it manually, again annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely, try the free trial. The trial gives you all of the features you would with the paid version. Also, I entered previous invoices so I can have a more fuller picture of how I have been doing for the year as a whole. I recommend you do the same. In doing so, you are also able to really test out the software to make sure it is a good fit for you.

I used to invoice and provide invoices using Excel and Word. It took up time for me to do this. I ended up delaying a few times in getting invoices out. This is, in turn, caused me not to get paid faster. Using FreshBooks has eased this for me so I am able to create and send invoices much faster. Also, the invoices I send out now are very professional looking and having the ability to track my client's actions on the invoices saves me from having to do as much follow up with them to get paid.

FreshBooks review by Tom H.
Tom H.

"Simple, effective, cloud based time-tracking & invoicing"

What do you like best?

Being cloud based, I can access this from any of my myriad computers or even client-owned computers. There is also an iOS app. The invoices look professional, and I can send them via either PDF attachments or even snail-mail. Responsive help-desk too.

What do you dislike?

I wish that reports were somewhat more customizable, and I wish that I could access my data directly without going through an API call.

Freshbooks recently lowered the limits of the number of clients I can manage and recently increased prices. It's still quite reasonable, but all the same, I was getting more capacity for less money a few months ago (May 2018)

As an independent consultant, I need a low-overhead, simple effective solution for time tracking and invoicing (it also tracks expenses and I use it for that when I have expenses as well).

FreshBooks review by Ashish C.
Ashish C.

"Great accounting application for small businesses! Fast access and nice and easy user interface"

What do you like best?

I really liked all the features of this fresh and cool looking accounting application- Freshbooks. It takes a fast and easy sign up. Everything in this invoicing application looks great and understandable. Great for freelancers also as I used it as a freelancer for long. I can't stop recommending this application to everyone

What do you dislike?

Trial period is short which is only 30 days and after that you have to pay for continuation. They should limit clients list for at-least 2-3 clients and keep the trial period free forever.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go for it! Great accounting application which is easy to use. You can maintain all your invoicing and billing on this cloud application.

Online invoicing and billing, keeping billing and payments history. Creating estimates. Easy sending of invoices through email and complete relaxation in terms of accounting.

FreshBooks review by Jeniriana R.
Jeniriana R.

"A fresh, useful and manageable software."

What do you like best?

I like that your payment method is for credit cards, it makes it easier when canceling the service you provide to my company. And it helps me a lot at the time of the accounting life that my company takes in its day to day, everything is more effective with FreshBook.

What do you dislike?

Customer service may be a bit late, they do not always respond very efficiently, I can not personalize my newsletters and that seems to me a big flaw to improve.

it is good software, it is effective although its version for Android may be a bit slower, I like the organization that carries my data, my company has become more dynamic and excellent since I use this system.

FreshBooks review by Joel K.
Joel K.

"With them from the beginning, and likely to stay!"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks is absurdly easy to use, and for the most part, does everything I need it to. I make heavy use of invoicing and expenses, and both have performed perfectly well for me. I also appreciate that they automatically calculate Stripe fees and other payment platform fees as expenses. Their team really cares about their users, and they listen when I offer feedback.

What do you dislike?

I wish multi-currency support was stronger; not being able to enter expenses in USD is frustrating. Sometimes, the way reports display numbers (what is included and what is not) is not always clear.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. While there are lots of alternatives in the field, support at Freshbooks is second to none and well worth the yearly cost.

I can quickly and easily generate invoices, track expenses, notify clients I've received payment, and even generate invoices on the go. Reporting, while not perfect, gives me a decent picture of how I"m tracking for the year, so I can plan taxes and keep track of profit/loss.

FreshBooks review by Zeke B.
Zeke B.

"Fresh Books - Solving Hard Issues with Simple Solutions"

What do you like best?

I like that although Iʻm not the primary person using the software, I still am able to have access to the different parts of it. I also like being able to see how much time Iʻve spent on each client and essentially know where I could better focus my time. The other thing I like is the ability to do monthly billing, weekly, and daily if necessary!

What do you dislike?

What I do not like is the the "who has done what" is not broken down in to billable versus on-going clients. I also do not enjoy the fact that you have to enter in things manually sometimes. It seems silly that something that you do every week isnʻt able to stay saved for the full amount of time youʻre entering your hours - if you do so like I do, at the end of the billing cycle, as opposed to daily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a small business, this is a great way to view everything all in one spot - Iʻm also almost certain they have a mobile app that allows you to take pictures of receipts used for accounting in general.

We had issues with people not being able to view invoices we sent from the previous software. When we got this, not only are we able to see when they view it but how many times and resend if need. Another issue we had was too many people were doing things that were not getting billed for because only one person was entering information. As such, weʻd miss out on crucial client billing situations - especially ones that were and are commission based. Allowing the company to have several users has greatly helped with this problem.

FreshBooks review by Cassandra C.
Cassandra C.

"Freshbooks is an easy to use platform for any Small Business owner."

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use for the invoicing system. Invoices look clean and beautiful, and my clients have the ability to easily pay in any way that works best for them.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the reporting system. There could be more detailed reporting to provide to my accountant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need an easy way to send invoices, collect payments, and track your clients activity, use Freshbooks! The easiest way is to set up a recurring template - Freshbooks will do it all for you.

I have solved the problem of easy invoicing as well as tracking payments from clients. I have realized that it is easy to lose track of a client and if they have paid, but Freshbooks keeps me reminded (as well as reminds my clients) for me.

FreshBooks review by Consultant in Graphic Design
Consultant in Graphic Design

"Currently using but looking to upgrade"

What do you like best?

I liked that at the time Freshbooks was a decent solution to send invoices to my design clients. Later features to add deposits (via percentages) and expenses were a nice add-on. There's even a plan (not on site, contact them) where you can get a small plan, where to start you can have up to two clients at a time to try out.

What do you dislike?

The fact that there is a newer version, but I wasn't included in the upgrade or asked to upgrade to check out new features. Also, as a Designer I am in need of more such as a portal where clients can login, online contracts, upload my logo vs showing Freshbooks logo. I want my clients to have a great experience working with me and a way to balance my needs. Freshbooks just handles invoices, where as I need more. I don't need a bunch of apps to get things done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a designer and are looking to try something to send invoices and accept payments this is a start. If you are looking for a bit more, there are other options. Dubsado is where I am headed. They have 2 Facebook groups (one of them for designers), online seminars, awesome customer service, tons of ways to automate your process and to look and feel professional. They implement features that I feel like every professional designer needs (including the option of payments via PayPal, Square and Stripe.

Invoicing and payments.

FreshBooks review by Tori F.
Tori F.

"Simplifying Time Tracking & Billing"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks streamlines the process of tracking time spent on various projects for various clients. I love that you can list a number of different projects underneath one specific client. This comes in handy especially at my job where we are constantly completely multiple different tasks for a single client. One other aspect I appreciate is on invoices, you can enter items or time entries. We do wholesale projects as well as hourly design work so the flexibility to include both these options is very important to us.

What do you dislike?

The one problem I've had with Freshbooks is I haven't figured out how to delete clients or projects, and this clogs up my list. We have projects for whom we have not worked for several years, but they still appear on my time tracking list. This may be something only the administrator has access to, but I would love to have a way where I could pick and choose what assigned projects I'm currently working on, rather than having to scroll through our entire list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't have experience using any other time-tracking software, so it is difficult for me to offer a fair comparison, but I can say the FreshBooks is highly user-friendly and diverse in features.

FreshBooks has allowed us to easily keep track of time spent on projects, which helps us create more accurate estimates for future projects or proposals. For example, we can look back and see how long we spent creating the past 3 Squarespace websites, and with that information adjust future Squarespace development proposals. Furthermore, I know my boss has really taken advantage of the accounting features of FreshBooks and keeps track of various purchases made.

FreshBooks review by User in Internet

"Awesome Invoicing and Expenses Mangement System for Small Businesses, Freelancers and Agencies"

What do you like best?

FreshBooks is easy to use, available on web and mobile app, manages clients, creates one-time and recurring invoices, creates estimates, tracks project time (and billing) and manages expenses, all very well and intuitively. Perfect for small businesses that provide services, especially online, freelancers, agencies or consultants.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is in the new version (which I didn't have to upgrade to), they don't suport paypal for accepting payments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you require using Paypal to accept payments, then the new version of Freshbooks won't suit you. But if not, I highly, really highly recommend Freshbooks for anyone needing a cloud based invoicing, project time tracking, and managing expense system. Freelancers, small service businesses working online, agencies all will benefit greatly. The iphone app is easy to use to manage expenses and can do most everything you can do on the web app and is fast and intuitive.

We manage all our client billing and expense management with Freshbooks and have save hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars by using it. Quick reporting helps us keep on top of receivables and expenses and accepting payments online has made billing quick and easy. Time savings is the biggest and being able to just export files or reports yearly is a huge time saver as well.

FreshBooks review by User

" Best Way to Manage Invoicing and Accounting!"

What do you like best?

I like how easy Freshbooks is to use. It pulls up your expenses from your back accounts so you can quickly and easily keep up with expenses. I also like how it's mobile friendly. Invoices are a breeze too! I essentially keep track of all business related management through Freshbooks. They have a lot of features, so take some time to see what works best for you business. Features like time tracking, tax planning, etc...are some of their bells and whistles.

What do you dislike?

I really think Freshbooks is great, but payment processing fees are always annoying and I just bill through PayPal or another service separately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any small business owner needs accounting and invoicing software. I think you have to dive into all of their offerings - invoicing, expenses, time tracking, etc..and see how it fits into your life. Also look at integrations to see if it works with the other software that you use.

Freshbooks is solving my invoicing problem. No more manually sending invoices. The creation and management is excellent. I also love how it keeps track of my expenses. Over the years, their features have gotten better too. The benefit of using Freshbooks is that I can keep track of everything, stay organized and stay efficient in my small business.

FreshBooks review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"Perfect software for solopreneurs"

What do you like best?

For a soloprenuer that needs a feature rich, flexible software, Freshbooks is a great choice. The different pricing tiers - depending on how many customers you have - is great for scaling your accounting as your business expands.

What do you dislike?

I've had a little trouble getting into some of the more advanced features. It's taken some time and research to figure out what they are. I wish there was stronger onboarding support. The lengthy URLs for each invoice are also kind of frustrating (when you do a "create sharable link).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free trial to assess the features. Dedicate time up front to learning how to implement it for your business.

The biggest business problem that I've solved is efficient invoicing. Previously, I used word docs that took forever to put together and didn't always look professional. Tracking down payments was also frustrating - here, I can see with just a click if they've been viewed or paid. It's cut down the time I spend on invoicing and helped me get paid faster.

FreshBooks review by Jennifer S.
Jennifer S.

"Good customer support and easy to get started"

What do you like best?

I love how this software has changed the way I run my business. After linking my bank account and selected credit cards, it makes bookkeeping so easy. Everything is so intuitive that i rarely need support and if I do, they actually have a phone number you can call. They have a support key that allows them to quickly access your account. They have a great refund policy - upgrade or downgrade without fear! Lastly, it generates the very basic reports you need - expense reports, P/L, client billing - this has made it easy to keep my business running the way it should. For my small, one-person shop, I don't need Quickbooks (it's also too expensive) but this is just the right fit for my solo law practice.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, other than if you prepay for the year (you save 10%) but then upgrade to a monthly plan, the refund

for the unpaid portion of the year does not come automatically and you have to email them for it. I'm trying really hard here to think of something I dislike because really, I love everything about Freshbooks.

Accounting

Cash flow

Bookkeeping

Being ready for tax season

Billing

Collecting payments

FreshBooks review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"Best invoicing software for freelancers"

What do you like best?

I use the Classic version of Freshbooks and find it easy to use. I like being able to email invoices and then see when my clients have looked at the invoice. Reporting features are also easy to use and make it a breeze come tax time or to just see strategic information. Also, LOVE the customer support. They have real people who answer on the first ring and will be able to help you solve your issue.

What do you dislike?

Not much--I find it easy to use. I do like the Classic version better than the new interface they just released, but I honestly didn't spend a lot of time in the new version, so it just may be a case of being comfortable with what I'm already familiar with. However, I did appreciate how easy Freshbooks made it to try out the new interface but stick with the old if you prefer. Most companies force you into their new upgrades and I really appreciated that FreshBooks didn't (another sign of their great customer service).

Easy, fast invoicing and time tracking. Easily able to keep track of expenses and business receipts. Able to generate several reports that give me insights into my clients and how many hours I'm spending on certain projects.

FreshBooks review by Administrator in Printing
Administrator in Printing

"Freshbooks was a quick and easy transition"

What do you like best?

I love that Freshbooks offers a 30 day free trial to first time users. This is important because not all accounting software is equally applicable across industries. The complete ease of set up was crucial when our company needed a quick fix to invoicing issues with our antiquated hardware and installed system. Since Freshbooks is cloud based, we can send from anywhere, anytime. I chose Freshbooks after my research indicated that we could upload images, which is a great and important feature for our unique needs.

What do you dislike?

While I enrolled with Freshbooks for the image upload feature, I learned that it is only available to be utilized when creating proposals. I hoped to use this feature on invoices or at least, estimates. While we are a graphics company, we also manufacture and produce goods. When a client has approved a design and is ready to order, it's important for the invoice to reflect that they agree to pay for any given mock up or print proof provided. Freshbooks also does not have a feature that allows us to add items with set pricing; each time an invoice is created, the last price and item description is all that is remembered. We need to be able to easily add listed items that always have the same price, with the same item description, then adjust as necessary instead of re-writing each item description and price. This costs us more time than it should. For this reason, Freshbooks would work best in a graphics only or service only based business where each invoice is completely personalized to it's project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best for use in industries whee each project or job is highly unique. Do not expect to create stored lists of services or items.

Generating proposals with the ability to upload images is a favorite feature. Customers can now accept estimates and proposals after viewing the invoice which leaves a virtual paper trail. No more quibbling over what was agreed upon.

FreshBooks review by Sandra G.
Sandra G.

"FreshBooks "

What do you like best?

I love that I can combine time tracking with invoicing and an accounting app all in one. I can track my time and create invoices from that time, send out invoices, and get paid, all in one easy-to-use package. I bought it for the time tracking features, and I stay because invoicing and payments are so easy.

What do you dislike?

The only drawback is that when I run out of my allotted number of clients/projects, I have to archive or delete some. I often have repeat clients and this seems like a disadvantage—but it's easy to reinstate a client I've archived. It would be nice to have added features at a later date, or the ability to customize the way invoice numbers are assigned for each client, but these are not deal breakers. FreshBooks is a bit expensive for my uses since I'm a freelancer and don't always have tons of invoices or clients. Would appreciate a smaller plan for my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Freshbooks is great for a freelancer or small business that needs to track time, invoice, and receive payments.

Seamless time tracking and invoicing plus payment app. It's amazing. I used to find it so cumbersome to have to track my time in one app, then calculate the rate on that, then open up my invoice app and add in the amount due, then export it and email it to a client ... now I can do all that in one place, plus I can see when the client opens the invoice. So it's a seamless process and it helps me get paid faster.

FreshBooks review by Agency in Computer Networking
Agency in Computer Networking

"Easy to use account managment"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks is easy to use and creates nice looking invoices. I am able to set up recurring invoices for clients and they can set up automatic payments. Also categorizing expenses is pretty easy and helpful during tax season.

What do you dislike?

The time tracking and creating invoices from projects needs to improve. Here is why. Many of us freelancers are trying to move away from hourly rates and charging based on monthly fixed retainers. The way freshbooks works is not geared toward this. For instance, I have a team of contractors that work for me. All of them track time in freshbooks and charge me an hourly rate. I want to translate that hourly rate into my fixed retainer when i invoice the client but to make it so that the client does not see my contractor's hours I have to manually go through the entire invoice and delete the time recorded by my contractors.For some invoices this means 40 to 50 lines of tasks that need redacting. A simple way around this would be to have a function that simply allows me to exclude the amount of hours from the client facing invoice. At the moment there is no way to do this. Also in regard to time tracking, i would love a way to integrate tasks from basecamp to Freshbook's invoices and track time for each one. Now there is a chrome app for this but it's buggy and doesnt integrate well. The thing that is a bit frustrating about these limitiations is that Freshbooks talks about and encourages freelancers to move away from hourly rates but doesn't provide the tools to make it easier for us to do so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a way to manage a large company Freshbooks will probably be limiting for you. Also if you want an easy way to track time and integrate it with your invoicing don't expect too much.

Organizing my expenses, invoicing clients and accepting recurring automated payments.

FreshBooks review by Christine N.
Christine N.

"I Couldn't Live Without FreshBooks"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to time my work and record it for invoicing. I also like how you can see when your client has reviewed or paid your invoice.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything about it, but it would be nice to be able to customize my invoicing more in the free version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a small business, and have under 3 clients it's free, which is great! Upload your own logo and make your invoice look even more professional. It's easy to forget to switch jobs when you're working on different projects, so make sure you're aware of what job you're timing for.

I'm solving my need for quick and easy invoicing. It's also been super easy to see how many hours I spend working on specific projects.

FreshBooks review by Travis N.
Travis N.

"Helped me focus on my job"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks is a God send! I hated keeping track of hours and sending invoices. As a creative professional I'm just not wired for that kind of work. Once I started using Freshbooks I was able to easily track hours and submit invoices--and not to mention sleep better! And come tax time, all my data was organized and ready to go!

What do you dislike?

I supposed if one were to be nitpicky it would have been nice to have had more invoice templates to choose from. Also, it was a hard to set up multiple rates for the same client depending on what project/task I was working on for them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you hate doing the books, this is the app for you! It will give you more time to do the things you love instead of worrying about how to invoice your clients, trackign hours, and keeping records for taxes.

I was able to make the financial side of my business effortless. As for benefits, I had more time to spend making money and sleeping. It really was a no-brainer solution for me as I was starting out on my own.

FreshBooks review by Suzana S.
Suzana S.

"Using for Years - Great Platform - Minor Limitations"

What do you like best?

- Automatically brings in your purchases and expenses from your Bank Accounts (TD Canada recently not supported)

- Automatic recurring payments structures for billing clients

- Items for fast invicing

What do you dislike?

- No Automatic currency conversions (lets say my account is in primarily CAD, and i have a USD credit card linked. I have to automatically convert the amounts to Canadian to expense them.

- Some expenses are duplicated, especially if you link Paypal and your credit card. They should have AI to presume they are the same.

- The design options for the invoices / limited!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your bank is supported if expenses are important to you!

I wanted a cool, modern software to take care of billing my clients, sending out automatic recurring invoices, and have a sort of expense reporting system to easily find out what I am spending and compile it for my accountant at the end of the year.

This is the best software for this so far, I have been using it for years and I am very comfortable using it.

FreshBooks review by Robert L.
Robert L.

"Freshbooks is a "refreshing" way to manage your accounting needs!"

What do you like best?

To start off my review, I like that the program is based in the cloud. This allows me to access my information in real time from anywhere on the go. Another great feature with FreshBooks is the ability to setup multiple company profiles. FreshBooks also implements intuitive features to allow you to easily generate and manage invoices or client information. As well as features such as time tracking to watch how much time you may spend on a particular task. Other features that add great value to this program is the ability to create and manage projects. Using the Project feature, I have been able to coordinate with my business partner accurately and timely. Ensuring that deadlines are met!

*** In comparison to quickbooks... you get more for your money using FreshBooks***

What do you dislike?

At this moment I have been highly satisfied with FreshBooks. I especially enjoy all the features that its competitors lack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with any type of product... It is imperative to make sure that it meet your specific needs. Although FreshBooks checks all the boxes for my company. For somebody else, it may not. And this is where you need to see if a competing software such as quickbooks may be better. Essentially it's all about figuring out and knowing what are the requirements to your line of work and will this potential solution full-fill the needs of my demand.

With the use of fresh books. I have been able to manage all task related to accounting. Being able to generate accurate reports and maintain accurate records allows me to manage my company and increase profitability.

* Primarily due to the nature of my business I use FreshBooks for more accounting purposes than actual billing of customers.*

FreshBooks review by Cindy F S.
Cindy F S.

"Freshbooks is easy to use as well as increases productivity"

What do you like best?

Easy to understand, get information, invoice and track payments and hours without steep learning curve. The tone of communications with the company is informative, relaxed, helpful and valuable. The CEO wrote an ebook and shared it and it was inspiring and helpful in reframing how we talk about and think about our services and pricing.

What do you dislike?

not all my banks sync with it - my local bank has not updated to provide access. Would prefer to pay less fee to accept online payments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start off with one client and use all the features - then build out the categories and tracking on an as needed basis. You can archive inactive clients without paying higher fees.

Easy invoicing and tracking payments - the timing of project per calendar is a great discipline for tracking actual time involved for each project. This has enabled tracking and billing of all different types of clients, products, and services as we scale up and down on our offerings.

FreshBooks review by Lisa K.
Lisa K.

"A Time and Sanity Saver"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks has helped me turn an onerous monthly task into a quick and simple one. I love the ability to have automated invoices, reminders, and late fees. The automation has made such a difference for me, since I would occasionally forget to send certain invoices or get them out later than I should have. The reminders also keep it from being too personal, since it's obvious they are automated so I don't feel like I'm harping on anyone. Another big perk are the integrations with Toggl time tracking software and MailChimp, and others through Zapier. New invoices automatically show up on an old Google spreadsheet that I've had for 10 years, allowing me to create complex charts and graphs using historical data to demonstrate my business growth.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were easier for my virtual assistant to create invoices on my behalf, and I really want a way to turn payments into credits. That way, when people pay in advance it automatically applies those advance payments to future invoices. I'd also like to have more than three invoice reminders. Sometimes clients just forget to pay, and having one or two extra reminders that can be sent closer together would make a difference.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend using Freshbooks to any freelancer or small business that needs to collect money in a painless fashion.

Freshbooks makes it really easy for me to spend less time on administrative tasks like invoicing and more time on doing paid work. With several dozen clients, different hourly rates and different flat fees, managing monthly invoicing was taking me hours. Since implementing Freshbooks, my productivity has grown and my cash flow has improved immensely.

FreshBooks review by Scott I.
Scott I.

"Increased my efficiency and sped up how quickly my invoices are paid."

What do you like best?

FreshBooks is simple to use and has a very clean interface. The iPhone apps makes billing and time tracking a breeze. I have been using it for years, and found that it fits the bill perfectly [pun intended]. I don't currently use all the features of FreshBooks, but I do subscribe to their blog which keeps introducing me to features that make the entire experience great. They keep introducing new features, so I may never get caught up, but thats okay, because they keep improving my efficiency. On the rare occasion that I need to contact support, I have been pleasantly surprised that a real-human answers the phone on 1 ring and is happy to help solve the issue.

What do you dislike?

I wish that FreshBooks would allow for time tracking separate from time-billing. [Updated 11/2016: the new version of FreshBooks does allow this.]

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, I was hooked almost immediately.

Invoices need to be created with ease while onsite with a client. FreshBooks does this using their iPhone app. The client is instantly emailed an online invoice, allowing them to pay the invoice immediately. Being an Apple Consultant, design astetic is important, and I wanted my invoices and payment portal to reflect that. The received FreshBook invoices, statements, website/ portal and other client contact are easily customizable with very little effort.

FreshBooks review by Ashley M.
Ashley M.

"Freshbooks changed my business in a way no other program (including photoshop) could do."

What do you like best?

K.I.S.S

I mean, as an artist I didn't realize the impact business has on the creative mind. Not being successful was impacting my creative side dramatically, I just didn't realize to what extent. I never did really well at keeping track, my invoicing was predominantly paper and pen, and often I'd simply use an excel sheet to keep track (ha!) of things. I later upgraded to Quickbooks, that was great until I was audited and the mistakes I had made in that program were so bad I ended up paying thousands of unpaid taxes, that almost closed my business entirely. I switched to Freshbooks as a friend of mine was recommending it. They do things right, they keep it simple. Now as my business grows, I know exactly problem areas and deal with them before they become too large to deal with. I also can project monthly's, that allowed me to hire a part time assistant to help, freeing me up to focus more on photography.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact I heard of this 3 years too late! The fact it's 100% online is a very slight irritation, I sometimes wish I had access to a program on my PC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a creative, looking for a simple, yet powerful accounting and billing option, Freshbooks is where to look. Starting up is easy, and integration with contractors and accountants is an absolute breeze. In fact, my accountant even gives me a discount based on how organized I am now VS before! Can't speak highly enough of it, well priced, solid platform.

By taking the guesswork out of my accounting, accounts aging etc I have effectively freed up more time and creativity. I am a photographer, I get paid to do that job. Thats my strength, and having time sucked away from that into accounting was a problem that freshbooks solved.

FreshBooks review by Betsy M.
Betsy M.

"Great for solo workers to quickly create invoices"

What do you like best?

When you get that first freelance gig, the first thing you need to do is learn how to create an invoice so you can get paid. Freshbooks makes it super easy to do so you can get that payment faster than ever.

What do you dislike?

As I've taken on more clients, Freshbooks isn't always the best tool. I tried using this expense tool and it didn't work very well for my purposes. I still only have one employee (myself), but I find that Freshbooks is no longer amazingly suited for my needs. It seems like Freshbooks is geared more towards people who are just getting started in their business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As the all-in-one tool that Freshbooks is trying to be, I'm not sure if they are succeeding. If you simply need to create invoices, then this will serve your purposes.

Well, it certainly helps me get paid! Helped me create invoices from the start and that's one less thing I have to worry about.

FreshBooks review by Kaziah H.
Kaziah H.

"Great platform"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use and how much time and energy it saves me when it comes to my accounting needs. Freshbooks is the new age and should be considered the standard for accounting software. Any small business owner should take the time to do this. Lightyears ahead of Quickbooks. It really consolidates all the "money" areas of the business into one place, making your life endlessly easier.

What do you dislike?

There is little to dislike. This has been a hugely valuable tool that has saved me countless hours! I wish that I had taken the time to learn about FreshBooks before now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

USE THIS! I have never been so impressed with a product that I have used and its ability to meet the user's needs. Incredible and a huge asset.

They are incredibly nimble. The few items that I did have issues with about use, I emailed support about, and literally everything I have ever suggested to them about their platform, they have implemented very quickly afterwards, and even contacted me to alert me of the changes. They are awesome!!!

FreshBooks review by Andre L.
Andre L.

"Every small business should start using Freshbooks right away!"

What do you like best?

As a website design and Internet marketing company, our clients pay monthly for hosting and marketing services. Using Freshbooks, I setup a monthly recurring invoice which provides a "set it and forget it" level of comfort that is invaluable to a small startup. Our clients can save payment details when they pay their first invoice, so we get paid faster each following month. Knowing that I will have a deposit 3-5 days following the first of each month is very helpful. In short, Freshbooks gives us the power of a full accounting department in a very affordable package.

What do you dislike?

One thing I would like to see added is the ability to procure a small business loan or line of credit using all of our Freshbooks data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start today!

We don't have to worry about invoicing anymore, and we get paid much faster! Freshbooks even sends out preset late invoice reminders that are completely customized - both the content and timing. With the reports available in Freshbooks, we can now see our business health in just a few clicks.

FreshBooks review by Jodi G.
Jodi G.

"makes my life much simpler!"

What do you like best?

I love Freshbooks! Especially the app with the time tracking. It's perfect for when I'm on the road and moving from client to client. In general it's super easy to use, looks appealing both on my side and my clients side, and allows me to do so much.

The customer service is also fantastic.

Also, Freshbooks is always expanding what their doing and the product so I like that it can grow with my business.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like is that I can't easily add a discount to specific items only without creating an entire line for the discount. There is a way to discount the entire invoice, but sometimes I discount my time, but not my supplies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's so worth it!

Because I'm moving from client to client throughout the days, it's been challenging to track and invoice them. Freshbooks has made that whole process super simple.

FreshBooks review by Stephanie N.
Stephanie N.

"Complete Lifesaver!"

What do you like best?

Hard to pick my favorite feature but the ease-of-use comes to mind. It's a great looking program along with being easy to navigate. I appreciate that! I need an accounting software that makes the billing, expense tracking nonsense go smoothly!

What do you dislike?

I wish I could set late reminders per client - each client I have has custom contracts so being able to customize all the way down to reminders would be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you've been trying to invoice by hand, like I was using Excel, please give Freshbooks a try. It's worth the small investment in your business to streamline the process, give you a professional brand, and your clients will love it too. My clients love that they can see a history of their invoices. I love having my invoicing and expense tracking all in one place.

Using Freshbooks keeps me organized, makes better use of my time, and keeps my profit/loss tracking for tax time. I don't have any background in accounting or bookkeeping nor do I have the capacity to hire this out so Freshbooks is the perfect solution.

FreshBooks review by Donna H.
Donna H.

"Freshbooks is awesome"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and provides me with the structure I need to easily keep track of my time and my expenses on my projects. It makes me look good too, to my clients - the invoices they receive look attractive and have all the information they need in a simple format, making it easy for them to do their work, too. The less time all of us need to spend doing transactional things like invoicing, the more time we can spend making a difference in our work.

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of much. Perhaps, a bit more flexibility in invoice templates - the ability to provide day rates rather than hours, for example.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software. Seamless, easy to use, makes it easy to sleep at night knowing that part is taken care of.

FreshBooks solves my time tracking, expense tracking and invoicing needs in an effective way, so I can focus on the work that I do. Because those aspects are taken care of, it allows me to spend my time on activities that are a better use of me. It frees up time; the resource that all of us wish we had more of.

FreshBooks review by Will O.
Will O.

"Awesome & Essential...!"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks is a phenomenal solution for freelancers. The way it allows me to invoice easily and produce reports for my accountant at tax time is invaluable, and the interface is clean and easy to use. Customer support is also world-class!

Above all, however, the integrated time-tracking it offers - especially through its mobile app - allows me to track my workload and utilize it for invoicing is wonderfully seamless and precise.

What do you dislike?

All I would like is more of the same - even more types of reports, the ability to access even more payment portals, etc.

I'd also like to be able to customize / theme the interface and invoices beyond a single logo and colour choice.

Everything about Freshbooks is on track, and as they are continuously updating and improving the product, I have no doubt that it will get there...!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot! You can try it before upgrading to a paid plan. I think you'll know pretty quickly if it's the right solution for you.

I have no background or experience in bookkeeping / accounting. Without a solution like Freshbooks, I'd be reduced to stumbling through an Excel spreadsheet or something similar.

Freshbooks allows me to spend far less time on administrative aspects of my business and more on working at developing the business itself!

Also, because of it, I doubt I will ever need to hire a bookkeeper. :)

FreshBooks review by Ana T.
Ana T.

"Excellent Tool for the Small Business Creative"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to track billables, how easy it is to create estimates and turn them into invoices, how wonderfully the app tracks invoices, expenses, and payments. I always know when my client has viewed the invoice. Freshbooks makes bookkeeping and accounting easy, and this is a plus for us with non-traditionally-logical creative brains. It is wonderful that I can use Freshbooks on my laptop and on the go with my cell-phone or tablet. The functionality is great for most users. I do need to track time (sometimes, just for myself to ensure I am on top of the project projections). I love that I can input receipt images - on the go - directly from my phone's camera or can upload them through files on the laptop/desktop app. I have used Quickbooks in the past, and it was far more robust than I needed. I am a one-person creative company and just needed time-tracking / estimate generation / invoicing / payment tracking / and expense tracking. And, of course, the lovely printable reports for my accountant. Freshbooks far surpasses my expectations.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if I could set up invoicing once or twice a week and have it go out automatically on the date specified without having to create a recurring item. I like to do my desk work one day a week and if I knew I was invoicing someone at the end of the week for an already known amount, then I would like it to automatically send the invoice that day rather than me remember to go into Freshbooks and hit the send button on the draft. (I have a client that only wants to be invoiced every other Tuesday, but Tuesdays are busy for me so I do up her invoice for the work completed two weeks behind. I do my desk work after work hours on Fridays as that is the day my hubby is out and it does not interfere with the work day. Every other Tuesday I have a calendar reminder ping me to send her the invoice. It works for me. But, I would really love to schedule it and forget it.

Also, I wish Freshbooks had a tiered system for people who have very few clients and don't make a lot of money. (Small, Medium, and Large business accounts on different payment tiers). And, I wish I was billed in Canadian dollars rather than U.S. dollars.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. You'll like it.

I am working on using my time more productively. I have found that I am always busy but not always necessarily productive. I need to change that. Freshbooks BFF has given me some excellent ideas on changing my mindset from a freelancer to a business owner. I realize now that I need to also offset some of the busy-work to someone else so I can concentrate on the things I need to do in bring in the money.

FreshBooks review by Anastasia C.
Anastasia C.

"The only tool to keep accounting in order"

What do you like best?

That everything is so simple there!

Moving to Canada 2 years ago, I had no idea about the right way of invoicing and keeping my records in new country. Back to Russia it was a nightmare for me, and I was very scared to start my business here without knowledge of local rules. Plus I don't quite know about finances in general, this is pretty far from what I do for life. So I wanted to find a tool which would help me to automate this process.

That's why I felt blessed when I found this service! It does a huge job for me. There is no need to learn all these terms, and create reports: everything is automated, and all I do is write down what I did during the day, and then invoice my clients.

I like that there are a lot of different settings in Freshbooks: for example, I can set my hourly wage in general settings, but can change it for specific clients and projects. Invoicing is completely automated, including late payments reminders! Invoices themselves look beautiful. By the way, invoices and interface can be branded, which I actively use.

A huge benefit for me is their built-in timer. As a freelancer, I work on hourly tasks very often, and instead of using external tools, I just run timer for my tasks right in Freshbooks interface, and count time spent. I can also add descriptions to each track to keep it clear for myself and for a client.

Expenses track is also awesome. I know that this is a pain point for anybody who tries to keep expenses ordered. I love that I can set up repeating expenses there, that I can upload receipts to any entry, and find it later easily if needed.

Automated reports are such a huge time saver! They show various types of data. I use Profit and Gross report for my tax returns, and can't imagine what would I do without it.

I like that my clients can see all invoices in their profiles, and that I can share my accounting data with my bookkeeper, if I want to.

I like that Freshbooks is very popular and has many options for integrations, such as: PayPal, Stripe, Basecamp and more. Freshbooks reports are convertible to many other systems, such as automated tax return services. You can even connect Freshbooks to your bank account, which is very convenient if you have separate account for your business.

Of course, I search for alternate solutions from time to time out of curiosity, keeping myself updated, comparing Freshbooks with its competitors. But none of competitors can't match variety of Freshbooks functions so far.

What do you dislike?

Pricing is a bit higher than I would like to see. Currently it's $20 (which is around $30 in Canadian Dollars) per 25 clients, but I believe $15 would be a more expected price for this option.

Also, probably updating, refreshing design visually wouldn't hurt. :) it's not very important since interface is awesome, very clear, and works perfectly, but more modern look would be beneficial for new users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just start using it! I believe importing your data from another system should be easy (considering Freshbooks general approach). You will appreciate variety of functions there.

With Freshbooks I have properly formatted accounting for my self-employment, having close to zero knowledge in finances. I think this is awesome.

I'm sure that more experiences in finances users will also benefit from this service because it has a lot of different settings.

FreshBooks review by Lawrence B.
Lawrence B.

"Great Software"

What do you like best?

Everything is very easy to use. And I can get paid in different ways. I can select if I want a customer to pay via PayPal, Authorize.net, Braintree, or their credit card processing. Keeps track of my hours and the differant rates for different clients. Also the recurring invoices are really nice so I don't even have to think about sending invoices

What do you dislike?

I'm very happy with Freshbooks, noting really to complain about.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and don't bother looking back. I'm very happy with the software I recommend it to all my friends

Accounting, invoicing, time keeping, payment and expense tracking

FreshBooks review by Elena Y.
Elena Y.

"Save your time when invoicing while staying professional"

What do you like best?

With Freshbooks you can create a great professional image of the company. Another great feature of Freshbooks is the availability of Support Tickets. Your customers will be able to send requests to "support" asking for clarifications and you can close them when the issue is solved.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. During the time we were using Frashbooks for our purposes everything was good. The system really helped us with invoicing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you wish to save your time (and time is money) consider subscribing for this invoicing solutions as you would not only look professional in the eyes' of your clients but also save time by using recurring invoicing and mailing originals of the invoices to your clients directly from the solution.

Еще одной замечательной особенностью Freshbooks является наличие Support Tickets. Ваши клиенты смогут направлять запросы в "службу поддержки", а вы сможете их закрывать, когда проблема решена.

FreshBooks review by Renee B.
Renee B.

"FreshBooks- Simplified Accounting"

What do you like best?

FreshBooks is extremely user friendly. As someone who was fairly new to freelancing, this was a great solution for billing clients and staying organized...to think I almost did everything manually makes me shudder in retrospect. Clean, simple. Very nice.

What do you dislike?

I had wished that FreshBooks offered different payment plans. It is quite a steep monthly fee if you are only using it for a small handful of clients. I wished there was another, lower tier plan for people who are only billing 3 or so clients at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product for billing, particularly for freelancers or small businesses where one person is wearing many hats. Quick, simplified billing.

FreshBooks made my freelance business accounting extremely simple and straightforward. It kept me much more organized and really took a whole lot of extra work/thinking off my plate versus handling my own billing.

FreshBooks review by Nick J.
Nick J.

"Time tracking for all employees"

What do you like best?

Our agency primarily uses the Freshbooks for time tracking and invoices. With multiple clients and projects at any given time we need to make sure all employees are properly tracking their time on projects. Some clients request more work than others so it's important for us to make sure we are delegating the proper amount of time to specific clients.

We can also request invoices through Freshbooks and track who has paid invoices and the amount of funds in the account. We can set reminders and it's simple for clients to pay which is essential.

Clients will often call when employees are away from their browser, the Freshbooks app allows for time tracking on our mobile devices.

What do you dislike?

For time tracking there are two options, the timer or entering your time manually. Often we jump from project to project depending on what needs to be done. It can be difficult switching over the timer constantly. If you enter time manually it can become skewed and it turns into estimates rather than precise times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's lots of different time tracking tools out there, and most are straight forward. Put in your project, press start, press end when done. However, with Freshbooks we can add in invoicing and billing to our clients. Not only can we request invoices, we can allow for clients to view theirs through the program. An all in one product.

Many employees work remotely and it can be difficult seeing what projects people are working on. Instead of getting daily or weekly email updates on how much time was spent on a project. We can simply login, view an employees time card, and see specific projects that were worked on. It only takes employees a few minutes to log their time so there's not time being wasted.

FreshBooks review by Yolanda Q.
Yolanda Q.

"Clean and useful accounting"

What do you like best?

The system is multifunctional, it has helped me in the day to day of my company, the payment is excellent since it generates invoices to keep track of my clients and their arrears in payments.

What do you dislike?

It has limited features when customizing, however, it is a very useful service.

The software is useful, easy to use and manageable, I highly recommend it since it helped my company with the accounting part of itself.

FreshBooks review by Chantelle R.
Chantelle R.

"A lifesaver..."

What do you like best?

Freshbooks has been a staple in my business. From invoicing to estimates and staying on top of payment schedules, Freshbooks has been the assistant that I've always wanted. It also integrates well with other services that I use. They have made some adjustments that I love like being able to include a deposit request that is amazing.

What do you dislike?

I dislike paying a monthly fee because I just hate spending money lol but it is SO worth it. So, I purchase the annual plan to ease my pain when I have to add something else to my expense list. I wish there was a way to enter a discount amount and not a percentage. After I've consulted with a client and discussed a certain discount, I have to calculate the correct percentage to give them the exact amount I quoted during the consultation. That is my only complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering Freshbooks, I highly recommend that you do. Check out the free trial and see for yourself why business owners and freelancers love Freshbooks.

From invoicing to estimates and staying on top of payment schedules, Freshbooks has been the assistant that I've always wanted. It sends automatic thank you emails and payment reminders, it even adds the late fee for me.

FreshBooks review by Carey P.
Carey P.

"Amazing service and easy to use software"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature is how is easy it was to integrate time tracking with invoicing. As a service based business, this was imperative.

What do you dislike?

I wish it a little more robust reporting

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend it for small businesses who want ease of use along with a great client experience. It was easy to create invoices that my customers could pay online directly from the invoice. Automated reminders were also helpful. The interface is nice. Beyond anything, the support is amazing. You talk to a real person in less than 4 rings. I highly recommend it.

It saved me so much time to use the built-in time and expense tracking when working and then easily turn it into invoicing.

FreshBooks review by Luisa S.
Luisa S.

"Invoicing tool that easily integrates with CRM"

What do you like best?

The ability to create recurring profiles. I also like that by clicking on a profile, I can easily see a history of the customer's payment history.

What do you dislike?

The Q&A resources should be easier to solve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Freshbooks for the ease of creating invoices, ability to create recurring profiles and quick reports that show a customers history of completed payments or missed invoices.

Freshbook has empowered us to streamline the invoicing process. The ability to create recurring profiles is a great way to make sure we don't miss payments.

FreshBooks review by Tia J.
Tia J.

"An excellent tool for a personal business "

What do you like best?

I love that you can add different clients and have preferences for each of those clients. Each client has a dropdown and everything is automatic. I also loved that you could really organize all of your invoices in one secure place.

What do you dislike?

There was not much that I disliked! I had a problem once with my account and the staff at FreshBooks were very attentive, timely, and fixed my issue immediately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to stay organized! FreshBooks does a great job with numbering the invoices for you, but you need to organize by client and within the invoice itself. Make sure to manually upload your HST or tax numbers so that you can automatically apply tax to your invoice.

I needed a place for my invoices for my personal business. I was creating weekly invoices and needed a cleaner look rather than an excel file, but something that still had all of that same customization. FreshBooks was excellent for that.

FreshBooks review by Peter M.
Peter M.

"Excellent features; even better customer service!"

What do you like best?

I love that FreshBooks makes it so easy to record expenses and generate professional-looking invoices. Even better is that when you call FreshBooks they answer right away - and with someone who can actually solve your problems, not just a call center grunt (I use that term lovingly as that's what I do in my day job).

What do you dislike?

It would be great if the reports could be set to a default time window, or if custom reports could be saved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a large company with complex accounting needs, FreshBooks may not be for you. For our small mom-and-pop startup, Freshbooks was and is perfect!

It's so nice to have an easy way to generate professional-looking invoices, allow online payment, and keep track of how my business is doing!

FreshBooks review by Renea H.
Renea H.

"What did we do before Freshbook?"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love this product! I love the mobility factor, first. There are many reasons I love Freshbooks.

The next is their awesome support. They are always friendly and helpful. The MAKE you want to recommend them by their friendliness alone.

You can add items right there. No going back to the office to input data. I do it right from my phone! I give estimates while I am speaking with people. I have met people that asked me for a quote which I was able to handle right then and there.

I like the fact that when I send an invoice, I know when my client has opened it. No more second guessing if my email went to spam. Another cool thing about that is it has saved my client's time. They appreciate how great it works and have actually told me, I didn't see it. I asked them to check spam and notice them opening the invoice as we are speaking. Voila! Payment made right then and there.

It has Stripe and other payment integration available. I prefer Stripe.

They also have an ability to scan cards with their reader right then and there.

What do you dislike?

The pricing for the card reader is a bit expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sign up today! Your accountant will thank you:)

Invoicing and payments. We have increased the time our clients pay 100%. No longer waiting on a check or someone forgetting to send us payment.

FreshBooks review by Mark  S.
Mark S.

"Freshbooks will save you time and money!"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks is so easy to setup & use.

Plus switching over from the third party merchant account / credit card processing through our bank, which had an endless variety of monthly fees, is saving use more than what we pay for Freshbooks.

They are constantly adding new features, bells and whistles and monthly fee stays the same.

What do you dislike?

Really we haven't found anything we dislike with Freshbooks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research. The story behind the guy who invented this service is interesting.

NOTE: This will not replace full-blown Quick-books for accounting.

We use it for billing and reporting on monthly revenues for the company.

This is cheaper than many merchant accounts through regular banks.

We were paying north of $75 per month in fees to our bank, before we ran any credit cards.

Super fast invoicing. Auto-rebills are a breeze to setup. Everything is in one place for one fee. Simple, just the way we like it!

FreshBooks review by Jeff N.
Jeff N.

"Great product, even better customer service "

What do you like best?

Product is really easy to use and it's reliable. My company has been using it for our billing needs for over 5 years. The company's cash flow improved almost as soon as I switched to Freshbooks and my customers love it too.

What do you dislike?

Freshbooks bills itself as a cloud accounting product. That can be a little bit misleading, the product is missing some key features that are needed for it to be considered a true accounting product. But as a billing and expense tracking product Freshbooks is one of the best available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an accounting solution you might want to consider augmenting Freshbooks with a classic accounting product or service (something that can handle double-entry accounting, bank deposits, etc.). But if you're looking for an easy to use billing platform Freshbooks is probably your best choice.

Freshbooks allows me to focus on running my business instead of chasing after customers for payment. My cash flow has definitely benefited from using the product.

FreshBooks review by Lilli K.
Lilli K.

"Simple and intuitive – for people who don't like invoicing, finance reports or expense tracking"

What do you like best?

I've been using Freshbooks since I started my graphic design business. In the beginning, I had no clue whatsoever about the finance side of things – I just wanted to create stuff and get paid. I paid for a business mentoring session, and all they wanted to do was to sell Quickbooks to me, and telling me I needed at least 10 sessions to understand how to invoice... So I found Freshbooks instead. Haven't looked back. The business has grown, and so has Freshbooks. But it's always just so easy and intuitive, it doesn't feel like a chore. I don't have to remember to send reminders, the online payment options and "thank you" messages to clients are automated, and the expense imports are painless. So there's less I need to worry about. The system is robust enough that I get all that my tax accountant needs, yet simple enough for me. So I can focus on the stuff I like to do, not the stuff I don't care too much about.

What do you dislike?

The pricing structure, I wish it was more about how much you're making, than how many clients one has. And there's one button on it that I keep forgetting where it is every month. The "generate invoice" is not under Invoices, but under Time Tracking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have amazing customer service, truly friendly (they are Canadian, after all!), and they go above and beyond to figure out how they can make it right. It's a smallish company (I think?), so they care. A bigger competitor might be cheaper, but they won't care as much about you as a customer. Plus, do other invoicing / accounting systems have an animated squirrel making the wave when you import expenses? I didn't think so.

Freshbooks automates a lot of my business. Since some people want to pay me with Paypal, some with Bill.com, some mail me paper checks, and some do bank transfers or credit card payments, I love that I can do it all with one system. I think the payment reminders and the sleekness of what the clients see makes me look like I know what I'm doing. It's also great for me, since some of my clients are in the US, and some in Europe, so I can invoice everyone with their currency and receive payments from everyone with ease.

FreshBooks review by Timothy C.
Timothy C.

"Easy To Use cloud based Accounting software"

What do you like best?

I love that I can access freshbooks from any computer anywhere to manage invoices, expenses and estimates. It also does a fantastic job of integrating with my bank account to keep track of expenses/cash flow.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could bill a flat rate for certain projects. Often I find myself subdividing projects back into hours even when I've quoted a flat rate, and clients have questioned it on occasion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You're free to "delete clients" i.e. mark them as inactive, and the system will save their details and you can restore them if they become active again. This way you can keep your costs down by reducing the number of managed clients. This is great for a part time freelancer who might not do a ton of business all at once.

Freshbooks is an inexpensive easy to use alternative to software like quickbooks. I use it for billing and accounting.

FreshBooks review by Rebecca R.
Rebecca R.

"Everything my small business needs "

What do you like best?

FreshBooks has everything I need to manage my small business accounting and makes everything so easy.

What do you dislike?

My business is very small and I don't use nearly everything FreshBooks has to offer. I wish there was a less expensive subscription for businesses like mine. The iPhone app also rarely works for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it now!

I use FreshBooks to manage time tracking, projects and invoicing. I can easily track hours each month, create an invoice, send invoices, and monitor when invoices have been paid.

FreshBooks review by Linda D.
Linda D.

"Outstanding Customer Support"

What do you like best?

So easy to use and gives me exactly what I need for my business and does not load me up with tons of features and stuff I would never use. Freshbooks is wonderful for invoicing clients and gives me every function I need to have a paperless business!

What do you dislike?

I wish the payment processing services were not so expensive, but I know that is not something Freshbooks is doing, but I wish Freshbooks could offer a more affordable payment processing and know down these huge fees charged by so many of the other services, like Visa, Paypal, etc.

Paperless billing system and cloud based so I can eliminate any additional overhead or labor that would eat into my business overhead.

FreshBooks review by Lindsay N.
Lindsay N.

"Freshbooks keeps my small business running!"

What do you like best?

I originally started using Freshbooks as a time-tracking device when I was doing hourly freelance work. I could log my hours easily (even with a time to be extra-precise) and pop invoices out to clients when the project was completed. I love the professional look of the invoices, and even more -- how I can track incoming payments as I deposit them. I also can add expenses that I have accrued for clients and it will automatically pull them into an invoice later (and track reimbursement). It also allows online payments through PayPal easily. I use FB as a CRM, too, since my client base is relatively uncomplicated, so this is the platform where I store contact info and notes about clients.

What do you dislike?

I have some occasional issues with the credits feature -- when I owe clients money -- but overall it's pretty ideal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love the clean simplicity and the functionality!

Tracking expenses, time worked, and payments made by clients. Looking professional in my email communications with clients.

FreshBooks review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Easy to use invoicing system"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the customization. I can select how my invoices appear, change the script for my emails and adjust any client setting with ease.

What do you dislike?

If you don't send the email to the client the moment you send the invoice, you cannot customize the letter to the client after that. It will default to the last saved version. This has led to some confusion with my clients at times, and the ability to adjust that would be a huge help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free version only allows you to load in three clients, but gives full functionality.

I enjoy being able to keep all of my client invoices in one place. I can run reports and see who has paid and who hasn't. i can also see whenever a client logs in to view their invoice, which is a huge help. It lets me know if I need to follow up or not.

FreshBooks review by Michelangelo v.
Michelangelo v.

"FreshBooks making invoicing easy for small and medium businesses"

What do you like best?

FreshBooks is an easy to use, online accounting platform that allows you to manage all your invoices easily and track your customers. With its integrated time tracking and advanced follow-up functionality it makes it the easiest tool for freelancers, small and medium companies. Conveniently they also provide an expense tracking option so you can attach your expenses immediately to the client you're working with.

FreshBooks also comes with a mobile app so you can start billing clients on the go, making it extremely useful for consultants, freelancers and self-employed professionals who need to move quickly. They can bill their customers now on the fly based on a fixed price, worked hours or a mix between the both.

If you have recurring business you can offer a link for your clients so they get to see all invoices they received from you, which boosts your company's transparency and improves the trust level. A subscription based periodic invoice is easy to set up and allows you to offer monthly, quarterly or yearly recurring invoices so you don't miss a payment.

A nice feature is you can invite your accountant or financial advisor with a read-only account so you don't have to remember to send in your invoices and expenses.

They offer top-noch support through email, social media and phone. No matter if your question is financial or technical related, you get always an answer that will solve the issue or offers a different way to achieve your goals.

What do you dislike?

Even though FreshBooks is easy to use, it was missing an important but useful functionality to track time on your computer. When working as knowledge worker, it's convenient to have a timer running in the dock so I can keep track of my actual time instead of guessing afterwards how much time I had spend.

Their business is located in Canada and their primary focus is the North-American market which is not always helping if your business is not located there. But their splendid support team go beyond expectations to accomodate your needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have billing requirements that goes beyond just simple time-to-invoice, consider FreshBooks. You can try it for free for 30-days.

Customize FreshBooks so it reflects your business' corporate identity and start billing your clients.

I needed something easy to track my time, expenses and invoice my customers. I used different tools to manage each part of my requirements, but nothing solved it in one solution except FreshBooks.

Since the day I started using them, I love working with it and I'm looking forward what the future brings as they are constantly innovating and following up on the requests from their customers.

FreshBooks review by Michael F.
Michael F.

"A great tool for small business"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks has made it simple for our team, as a small charity, to clearly track and bill time across projects and grants. Aside from that, it also allows all of our team members to invoice partners and clients for projects without needing to access our legacy Quickbooks accounting system.

What do you dislike?

Freshbooks has been a little behind in the mobile space - the time tracking in the app is sluggish and could be vastly improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Jump in and try it! Free trial.

Freshbooks has made it much easier for us to track time spent across a projects, and has made project audits a breeze. We have had some funder refer people to us because of our great audit results, enabled by Freshbooks time tracking features.

FreshBooks review by Merrilee M.
Merrilee M.

"Freshbooks will Genuinely make billing a pleasure. "

What do you like best?

The iPad app is beautiful and allows you to snap photos of receipts, saving them straight to the cloud. -The people who work there are clearly awesome. -You can create projects with time budgets and generate invoices from time entries. -You can customise the colours and logos even on the free plan. -Freshbooks integrates with tons of other applications (Google Apps, Xero, Basecamp etc). -There are real people available to help you and they actually respond to emails! -You can add people as sub-contractors and create teams to track time/ projects/ billing.

What do you dislike?

no longer a 'forever free' option available, so you will have to pay to use after a month.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's amazing

Saves me hours of time in saving and reviewing expenses. Plus automated recurring invoices prompt me to bill recurring clients and get paid more regularly.

FreshBooks review by Patrina P.
Patrina P.

"Awesome software for the non-financial entrepreneur!"

What do you like best?

The ease of use, and reporting features.

What do you dislike?

Very little, but I would like to see a feature where I can split transactions into two or more categories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I often tell others that this is not the software program for you if you need detailed and expansive accounting, but is perfect for the entrepreneur who is just launching their business and needs to manage their accounting system. I recommend it frequently for those clients. I would like to see Freshbooks continue to advance the software.

One software to invoice and receive payments. Many of my clients like using WePay versus PayPal; I did not expect that. Additionally, when I use contractors, it is easy for them to submit their invoices to me.

FreshBooks review by Andrew B.
Andrew B.

"good for starting business, but are stubborn about any simple improvements since horse&buggy days"

What do you like best?

ease of use, easy desktop and mobile use ( The app SUCKS and they they as always refuse to fix it) desktop on the phone works great, just zoom in as you navigate. connecting payment optiosn can change your entire business, because when people pay, it getst recorded automatically, and its such a timesaver.

What do you dislike?

they wont allow an estiamte to be snail mailed with the" snail mail button". they allow invoices to be snail mailed with the click of a button. they haven't changed thsi in 3 years. This matters because in yahoo.com emails and comcast.net emails, the estimates commonl go o junkmail or dont get delivered at all and are rejected entirely, but there is no mailer daemon warning back throgh to you to your email to let you know. so you go to do $5000.00 landscaping sales call and plan and estimate and the cusotmer doesnt get it at all. woudl be really nice to be able to mail it to them instead of being embarrassed 5 days later when you see the estimate hasnt been opened and you start to winder why and you call and the customer says its not even in their junk mail . THis happens so often, I am actively looking for other services to train on other than freshbooks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Support answers right away, but they fail miserably because they don't care about making any changes to the product.

accomodates growth of the business up to 300K revenue for my landsacping company and ease of use for billing and accounting and taxes. It has started to get harder to use after the 300K threshold.

FreshBooks review by User

"Easy Invoicing for Small Businesses"

What do you like best?

I like that Easy Books is very user friendly and easy to use. It is also fairly cheap.

What do you dislike?

So far, I have not found anything I really dislike about Fresh Books. Overall pleased with the service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are running a small business and do much of the work yourself, Fresh Books makes your life as a business owner simpler. I can easily set up my client's accounts and send invoices to them via Fresh Books. Fresh Books is a great service for you if you are also looking to streamline the process of billing clients or customers. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Fresh Books makes it easy to send invoices online to my clients. I set up their account and it sends them an invoice before their payments are due. This is much easier than physically mailing invoices every month. I can also send reminders if they are nearing their payment deadline. More efficient for me and less worry.

FreshBooks review by Jeff L.
Jeff L.

"FreshBooks gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks is a small business accounting software whose value proposition is centered around billing and receivables best practices. It is designed for and ideal for a small business with neither a full-time office manager nor a person in charge of billings and collections such as an accounting manager. FreshBooks is best suited for a sole proprietorship or a company where all of the employees except the owner are technicians - meaning that their daily activities involved only executing the delivery mechanism of the work required by the client.

What do you dislike?

The software is not truly a full-suite accounting package the way that certain competitors are. Instead, this is mostly a quick and easy way to know how much revenue was earned, billed, and collected during given time periods. You would need to bring in outside help to get the financials ready for financial statements or taxes if this was the only platform that was being used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a lag when changing the list of active customers

The business problem that is best solved with FreshBooks is instituting clarity around the amounts that are owed to the business and by who. This information is entered and summarized in a very user friendly way which allows for a better use of the owner or CEO's time. An additional benefit is also quickly knowing what amounts are outstanding when new work is billed through the system without needing to review an accounts receivable subledger.

FreshBooks review by Joel K.
Joel K.

"Simple and Straightforward"

What do you like best?

I love how simple and straightforward Freshbooks is to use. I've never had an issue using the software - either on the web or in the app. It makes it incredibly easy to track hours for projects, expenses for my business, and send invoices to clients.

What do you dislike?

Freshbooks is not the cheapest option out there. Though I didn't use any alternatives too much, from the research I did prior to upgrading from the free account, I did decide it would be worth it for the benefits to my company.

Time tracking, invoicing and expenses. The time tracking I have been using less and less recently, but the invoicing and expenses have changed the way I organize my business finances.

FreshBooks review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"The Lifeblood of a Growing Business"

What do you like best?

I love the automation that freshbooks provides. Once set, the system handles recurring invoicing and even allows for automated reminders. The customization options allow me to invoice in a way that works with my business model. The reporting makes end of year reconciliation a breeze and the ability to connect to my bank account to auto-import expenses saves so much time that it makes the difference between having to hire an assistant or just do it myself.

What do you dislike?

I like to see the expense function allowed batch process updates to expense categories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Freshbooks has been critical to the management of my accounts receivables. The automation that the system allows will free you up to focus on growing your business. It saves enough time that you can handle bookkeeping yourself or at minimum, greatly reduce the amount of time needed for a staff member to manage your accounts.

The customer service is top notch and they are constantly adding and improving features. Being in the cloud, updates are automatic and don't require inhouse IT attention.

Freshbooks offers an integrated credit card processing system that has a reasonable rate and auto deposits into your bank account. Great for businesses that do not use a merchant account outside of the system.

When I started my business I was manually producing invoices every month and it didn't take long for that to get out of hand. Saddled with all of the other responsibilities i found myself missing invoices and having a hard time keeping up with who had paid and who had not. The accounting function was added after initial adoption and it has become a valuable tool as well.

FreshBooks review by Tony S.
Tony S.

"Great product that our company cannot do without."

What do you like best?

Great product and with over 350 clients world wide we could not manage our reoccurring monthly and annual billing without it. The reminders to pay and pay online are also key features which just work!

What do you dislike?

Not really a dislike but would love a multi currency payment solution to be integrated for USD CAN and GBP all in one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can highly recommend this product for any company with multiple clients who have either monthly or annual fees to bill out. Once a customer profile is setup you never need to touch it again and takes minutes.

Reoccurring billing, chase for payment and the convenience of pay online are all features we love about this product and really free up a huge amount of admin time when all this use to me managed from a spreadsheet and manual.

FreshBooks review by Bree E.
Bree E.

"Perfect for a freelancer or sole-proprietor too!"

What do you like best?

I love how easy the interface is to use both in the browser and on the mobile app. Setting up clients, invoices, terms, payments/expenses and downloading reports is a breeze.

Most importantly, giving your accountant access so that they have everything they need come tax time, is worthy of a cheers.

What do you dislike?

I haven't been able to find a way to denote certain invoices who have deposits paid not to apply the system's late-fee penalty after a certain date, so I have to manually remove that line when it's added to an invoice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy enough to get a free trial to see what all the hype is about and with the excellent support from FreshBooks, you can get answers to any your questions. If you want to sign-up with the smallest option and you find that your business grows or you need more out of the software, you can upgrade your account or only pay for the add-ons that you need. If you take payments from customers or clients in-person, you can also purchase a card reader - if not, you can take credit card payments directly through an invoice.

I have saved so much time since switching over to Freshbooks both with the ease of use and automation of certain requirements for my business.

FreshBooks review by Josh B.
Josh B.

"Financial management done right!"

What do you like best?

Their functionality, pricing, and support can't be beat. With FreshBooks, I have everything I need to run the financial side of my business.

What do you dislike?

Every once in a while I find a feature that is lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for one solution to handle your invoicing and accounting needs, look no further.

With FreshBooks, I am able to automate payments, expense tracking, and reporting. Tax time is super easy thanks to FreshBooks powerful reports.

FreshBooks review by Jim C.
Jim C.

"FreshBooks is very easy to use"

What do you like best?

FreshBooks does exactly what it says it will do and does so extremely well. It is not an overpromised solution.

What do you dislike?

The doc feature could use some work, but it would certainly not disqualify FreshBooks by any means.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sign up and use it for a month; you'll see the ease of use and great value therein.

I am solving the problem to be able to quickly bill my consulting clients.

FreshBooks review by William H.
William H.

"Great for service businesses"

What do you like best?

Time tracking directly to invoices is great. The mobile apps are great as well. Freshbooks saves us a lot of time with our technicians in the field and tons of time invoicing clients. Once it is all setup it automates invoicing in a way that almost no other system can. It also offers an excellent customer portal where they can see anything you allow them to and make payments to outstanding invoices quickly and easily.

What do you dislike?

So as we have grown this list has become longer and longer unfortunately.

Freshbooks does not do the following:

Packing Slips - If we sell products there is no way to just print a copy of what would essentially be an invoice with no pricing.

Shipping Addresses - Can't store a separate shipping address from a billing address, this is a huge problem for us.

Monthly Customer Statements - There is no way to send a customer an aggregated statement of charges without including all the detail for everything from the account forever. In some cases this is years of invoices.

Invoice Tags - It would be really nice if we could add tags to invoices that the customer does not see so we could easily find them without having to make them visible to the customer.

Roles and Permissions - Your staff are basically staff or the one and only administrator, there is no in between and no other options. For companies greater than like 4 people this becomes an issue.

Accounting is really lacking here, again for a team of 1-3 maybe 4 people its probubly fine. Once it gets more complicated this is really a drag.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have been using freshbooks since it was called SImpleSIte or something forever ago and it is a great product that fits very specific requirements. Think about your future expansion before you get too invested, we are constantly trying to figure out ways to manipulate it into doing what we need but at some point will have to migrate because as far as I can tell development of Fresbooks has pretty much stopped in the last 3-5 years.

Freshbooks totally takes the hassle out of invoicing customers. They do everything from electronic delivery and payment collection to mailing the invoices for you. It is a great SaaS solution.

FreshBooks review by Michael A.
Michael A.

"PRICELESS!!!"

What do you like best?

Everything ... this is an amazing tool especially for small businesses / freelancers! I've been using it for quite a few years now and there is nothing else I would use on the market. Even when things don't work like I would like them to, the support is amazing at helping me find a solution to make it work!

What do you dislike?

The only glitch i've found is when creating invoices on the mobile app, it doesn't always go to the next invoice number so you have to manually change it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! It's seriously so easy to use, accessible everywhere, and their support is amazing! I couldn't be more happy with an online invoicing program and really the customer support is phenomenal.

I keep track of clients, payments, expenses, pretty much all of my accounting needs in one place!

FreshBooks review by Jules W.
Jules W.

"FreshBooks making tracking time and invoicing easy for small businesses"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks makes it easy for me to keep track of my time, projects, clients, invoicing, and expenses.

What do you dislike?

I like that I can associate an expense to a client, and easily add it to an invoice---But it would be nice it there was a way to o add a markup percentage to the cost of goods.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Freshbooks works VERY well for me, but I'm a freelancer and my needs are fairly basic. Do your research and find out what's right for you and your business.

Great for billing customers. Freshbooks makes it easy for my clients to pay me. From emailing invoices to electronic delivery of the money directly into my account.

FreshBooks review by Andres G.
Andres G.

"All you need for Accounting on a small business"

What do you like best?

Freshbooks is simple to use, and easy to configure. But also It's very powerful, because offers everything you need for your business: Create Invoices, create clients, create estimates, receive payments, customize the inteferface according to your needs, manage projects, track time, manage expenses, integration with the bank account.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how they integrate external time tracking systems.

The projects limitation.

the interface to track time.

The bank synchronization fails often.

There is only one Invoice design.

Invoicing clients.

Receive payments.

Manage Expenses.

Track accounting.

Recurring invoices.

Freshbooks has helped me to focus more on my business and less on the accounting/billing part.

FreshBooks review by User

"Easy, user-friendly cloud accounting"

What do you like best?

The invoices are easy to create and send. I like being able to drag a photo of a receipt in to document expenses.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could set up a way for clients to pay a refundable deposit. Also, the new version does not let us accept payments through Braintree or PayPal. It also does not allow for us to not accept American Express.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The newer version is more user-friendly, but the "original" has better options for accepting payments.

Having everything in the cloud makes it easy to access from multiple devices. It allows me to send invoices and keep track of expenses anywhere I am.

FreshBooks review by Daniel R.
Daniel R.

"Easy to use cloud-based accounting software that is always improving"

What do you like best?

I like how often FreshBooks introduces new features and small quality-of-life changes to the application. These often show up when logging in as helpful little splash screens telling about new features, with links to quickly see them in action. This really helps the discover-ability of new things that you may not have known you wanted or needed. At the end of the day though, this is accounting software, and it helps me to quickly and easily manage the flow of money in and out of my small company.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I'd like to see changes is the categorization of expenses. I track and categorize most of my expenses on a different platform, for both personal and work, and I'd like to see an integration there, instead of duplicating that tagging in FreshBooks to see expense breakdowns. Because of this, I usually don't categorize my expenses in FreshBooks and manage it elsewhere.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This company seems to be growing and doing well, and the software reflects that. Features are always being added, I get useful updates via e-mail that are not too frequent, and with a low entry price, I think this software is a slam dunk if you are an independent contractor like myself.

I use FreshBooks as a solo contractor, so it is used for tracking my time, and sending invoices to my clients. It makes this very easy to manage, and lets me keep on top of outstanding invoices and gives me an idea of what my anticipated cash flow will look like from month to month. At the price point, this is a great value for me as a solo contractor, but the number of features far exceeds what I need today. This sets me up to grow into more of the features without having to change platforms, FreshBooks will be ready when I decide to grow my business.

FreshBooks review by Gabrielle F.
Gabrielle F.

"FreshBooks is the best billing software to maximize cash flow"

What do you like best?

FreshBooks is unmatched in how well it handles invoice follow up. It makes it very easy to not only create and send out bills, it is quite flexible for accepting online payments as well as reminding clients -- automatically -- that their invoice is due. For service-based businesses, there's nothing else that even comes close to helping to keep the cash flowing. That's what it's all about, right?

What do you dislike?

FreshBooks is not a full double-entry bookkeeping system. In particular, it only tracks income and expenses. There is no way to reconcile bank accounts, handle deposits other than from invoice payments, or track Balance Sheet things, like purchases of new equipment (assets) or bills owed to suppliers (accounts payable). It also does not truly integrate with QuickBooks Online.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It depends on your needs, but if you're a professional service-based firm with simple needs, FreshBooks will fit the bill. It's easy to work with and hits the sweet spot when it comes to online software in that it is simple to use AND reasonably flexible. There are some very nice "hidden" features too. So my advice would be to definitely try it out and learn to use the software properly, and your bank account will thank you... oh yeah, one of those extra features is that your clients can even give you feedback / testimonials. Nice touch.

With FreshBooks it's easy to keep track of billable expenses, including attaching receipt images, which is a really nice feature. It also makes time tracking against projects a snap and helps me keep an eye on how much I expect a project to take vs. how much work is actually involved. My clients have also commented on how easy it is to pay my bill, so that means I'm getting paid MUCH faster than prior to using FreshBooks.

FreshBooks review by Nicholas S.
Nicholas S.

"The easiest billing software on the market!"

What do you like best?

FreshBooks fills an important gap in my business. I am NOT an accounting or bookkeeping person by any means. In fact, this is the least favorite part of running my business. So I was looking for something that would get the job done with ease, that anyone could understand. FreshBook does all of this and so much more.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick something, I wish there was a browser extension for the time tracking timer. It's really not a big deal, but it would be nice, as that is a feature I am using a lot lately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want something that is easy to use for accounting and billing, this is it. If you need more bells and whistles, look elsewhere, but for small businesses like mine, everything else on the market is overkill.

I am able to generate invoices, track time, track expenses, and generate reports with ease thanks for FreshBooks.

FreshBooks review by Andrew H.
Andrew H.

"Good Product, Right Price."

What do you like best?

We only use the invoicing portion of FreshBooks. The automation of recurring invoices (we bill monthly or annually), overdue payment notice emails, and late fees added to overdue invoices are killer! We have been able to really buckle down and manage our A/R using this program.

Sadly, we were using Word based invoices prior to FreshBooks, and now save considerable time in every aspect of invoice and A/R management.

What do you dislike?

No integration with Quickbooks Online, but really, what integrated with Quickbooks Online?

Recommendations to others considering the product

For SaaS companies, I found FreshBooks to be a great fit. It may not be though if you are a consultant looking to track time and then automate billing from there.

Less time spent creating and sending invoices. Quicker followup on overdue invoices. No more wondering if they got the invoice, since it tells you when they open it. Above all else, shorter timeline from invoice sending to payment receipt!

FreshBooks review by Heather M.
Heather M.

"Great Invoicing Features for Someone Starting Out"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, great sortable information for taxes and reporting, clean dashboard, easy for clients to use as a payment platform. Time tracking feature keeps me on task, as well as allows me to easily pay designers who contract for me.

What do you dislike?

Bills based on the amount of clients you have, which can get expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up all of your client information the first time, rather than going back and adding later.

Great as a starter invoicing / payment platform for designers.

FreshBooks review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Okay for small business but there are better programs out there."

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it is really easy to create invoices from scratch for beginners. The classic freshbooks platform is aesthetically pleasing as well.

What do you dislike?

Something that came into my mind immediately was their support staff. Although they try to sell to their customer that their support staff is awesome, I personally did not have that experience with them. Our account manager at freshbooks scheduled two different meetings with me and completely missed them. Our bill had went up by $20 without any notice. When I contacted the support about this, it took almost half a year before they had correctly fixed our monthly bill. I literally had to contact their support staff every month to get the additional $20 waived. There is no integration with accounting softwares on their classic platform as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Extremely easy to start invoicing clients, however, their support staff is a deal breaker for me.

We were originally still on Quickbooks 2013 which was why we started using Freshbooks. But to be honest, we are moving off of Freshbooks this month as we saw added benefits from using Quickbook invoicing.

FreshBooks review by Administrator in Public Relations and Communications
Administrator in Public Relations and Communications

"Don't Know How I Lived Without Freshbooks"

What do you like best?

In short, everything. My entire work life as a small business owner/freelancer has been changed because of Freshbooks' easy and intuitive processes. I especially like the ability to add team members without making them staff, and also the ability to track time in the same software that I invoice, estimate, track expenses etc. Oh, and I LOVE that it syncs with MileIQ - so many good things!

What do you dislike?

Occasionally, for my line of business, there is a slight change I'd desire - for example, I have flat rate retainers every month, but would still like to keep track of hours (without changing the flat rate billing). It's my way of making sure I stay close to "time budget," but by doing that it seems there's no way to set up recurring invoices each month for those clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool that integrates a lot of needs for small business/solopreneurs hoping to gain back some of their time! As a creative, my energy needs to be spent on client work, not endless hours of my own account management. Freshbooks has solved SO many of my time and logistical concerns.

HUGE time savings by integrating Freshbooks. I used to spend half a day doing invoices and billing, now it's done quicker and as I go without any stress. I've also really come to enjoy that I can send clients thank you notes as soon as I deposit their checks. It's the little things that make people see you for the organized company you are (even if you're small), and Freshbooks makes me look that much more professional.

FreshBooks review by Joshua M.
Joshua M.

"GREAT small business accouting"

What do you like best?

-easy to use

-good iphone app

-easy admin

-perfect mix of power and simplicity for small business

-good integration with bank

What do you dislike?

-needs better quoting system

-needs more configurable dashboard with more information and summaries available

-"NEW" version still needs some tweaking

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you run your own-business, or small business freshbooks will make all your accounting and billing needs super easy. It's not the cheapest option out there...but its the best!

-all accounting, invoicing, expenses..basically day-to-day accounting. All of it!

FreshBooks review by Jackson M.
Jackson M.

"FreshBooks is a game changer. "

What do you like best?

I can't believe I ever did business without FreshBooks. Being a solopreneur all my life, I have struggled with receipts and shoe boxes. FreshBooks was easier then neglect. Having my books organized not only made tax time better, but gave me real time data about where my business was at, so I could make adjustments on the fly, instead of at year end. I can't recommend FreshBooks enough.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I have yet to come across anything I dislike about FreshBooks, I've had a few tech issues, but their helpful staff crushes customer service and I was set in minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just sign up.

The number one benefit is being organized which leads to a lot of good things for a small business. I now feel in charge of things instead of reacting to uncertainty.

FreshBooks review by Cherise B.
Cherise B.

"Very clean interface, easy to use"

What do you like best?

I love the interface! I also love the "diamonds" that help you learn how to use it. It's very easy to use, and has great help/support.

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of anything I dislike about Freshbooks

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the file types for the receipts (but it's really easy to take screenshots as jpeg or png, or create PDFs)

Invoicing, expense tracking

FreshBooks review by Jaime H.
Jaime H.

"Great starting point for new entrepreneurs"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, especially for those who don't have much or any education in accounting.

What do you dislike?

In my previous business, we eventually had to upgrade to Quickbooks in order to manage certain levels of expense and income categorization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about how much you plan to grow, and whether FreshBooks will meet your long term need. In my previous company Freshbooks worked well for us for about 4 years, but when we eventually had to make the switch to QuickBooks, the changeover process was a pain.

With my new business, the easiest problem to solve with Freshbooks was setting up and invoicing clients quickly. It took less than ten minutes to get set up and send my first invoice.

FreshBooks review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Simple, Effective, and gets me paid"

What do you like best?

This software focuses on one thing and gets it done perfectly: Making invoices. No crazy features that a small business owner would never use. Just a simple UI that produces a professional invoice. It is also nice to be able to email the client right out of the software. No saving PDFs and writing up emails to send invoices.

What do you dislike?

I find the UX to be a bit clunky with adding payments manually. Clients send me checks so I have to go login, find them, create a payment, etc. I wish I could just click "PAID" or something more simple. Also I've not been able to figure out how to easily duplicate an invoice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Super simple to setup and deploy. Highly valuable for small businesses.

Getting paid. Clients react quickly and send checks when they see the professional invoices.

FreshBooks review by User in Internet

"Great product for those tracking time"

What do you like best?

I work at a small business, where we don't have an accounting department -- it's just an additional line on the CEO's already long job description. FreshBooks helps us invoice quickly and efficiently without hiring another person -- or spending a lot of time. It also allows our team to track time. This helps us monitor the hours we’re spending on each client work, as well as internal projects.

What do you dislike?

We wish there was a way to program in a recurring task, so we didn't have to manually enter some of the things we do every day during time entry.

In a service-focused business, time is money. We need to know how much time it takes to complete the work we're assigning to our team, and Freshbooks helps us track that and identify areas where we need to become more efficient. When it comes time for reviews, we use the FreshBooks log to figure out if an employee is overwhelmed by client demands or needs more training.

FreshBooks review by User in Real Estate