Fusion 360

Fusion 360

(84 reviews)

Fusion 360 unifies design, engineering, and manufacturing into a single platform.

Work for Fusion 360?

Learning about Fusion 360?

Fusion 360 Reviews

Fusion 360 review by Kenny C.
Kenny C.

"Strong Modeler, Light on Industrial Tools"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 is a great 3D solid modeler and advanced TSpline surface modeler that offers fantastic usability and performance. The software runs on Mac or Windows which is nice for a mixed environment. Fusion 360 also supports just about any CAD data out there and makes working with other people's data a breeze. The CAM package and render engine inside Fusion 360 provide great results and the pricing is right in the sweet spot.

What do you dislike?

Fusion 360 stores data in the cloud. While the system has wonderful up-time, the simple fact that your data resides on a server outside of your control may sway some high security entities from pursuing Fusion. The platform is always being updated as well - generally with a quarterly big update and then smaller incrementals as needed. Unfortunately, this means that features may be inadvertently broken during these many updates or new bugs may present themselves. Lastly, the software lacks many of the powerful tools found in Inventor or Solidworks - like gear generators, shafts, springs, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect Fusion to replace your desktop solid modeling software - yet. If you're using Inventor, Solidworks, ProE/Creo, Catia, or NX you will likely need to hang on to your heavy license for a while. Fusion 360 is a very capable modeler and the simulation and CAM packages are quite robust, but they lack the more powerful design generators, mechanical simulation, and documentation tools needed to replace the heavy engineering tools found in the other softwares out there. If you're trying to decide between Fusion and OnShape - go with Fusion. Autodesk supports the tools very well and there is an active community of users who help out one another.

Fusion 360 is an all-in-one industrial design and mechanical engineering package. Using Fusion has allowed us to streamline our conceptual development and our mechanical development into a single tool and speed the process from sketch to 3D printed or machined prototype parts. Previously, we were using an integrated but discreet toolchain to achieve these results - which meant moving data from package to package and often from user to user. With all the tools we need in one software, our designers can go from idea to validated design and on to prototypes in hours or days instead of weeks or months.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Fusion 360
Showing 83 Fusion 360 reviews
Fusion 360 review by Tyler G.
Tyler G.
View Original

"Easy to use CAD software"

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Fusion 360
Fusion 360 review by David S.
David S.

"Learning how to use the tool and teach others"

What do you like best?

I like the power of the platform and how similar it is to using Inventor. Being able to take a design and send it to a 3D printer, or run it to the CNC, or to create an animation helps me teach design and manufacturing concepts to the High School Students I mentor.

What do you dislike?

1. The learning curve and the paradigm shift. I am a 2+ decads user of AutoCAD 2D tools - I still use them in my professional work. So using the sketch and the extrusion tools is a gear shift that took time to overcome.

2. It appears that Students using the application can't share the files I create in my hobbyist/start-up mode system. Of at least I have not figured out how to do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Super Powerful, but a steep learning curve.

For my business, I am working on a number of R&D applications for robotic grippers and machine interfaces. I also mentor a FIRST FRC Robotics team and use the platform to develop designs with the students on the team. Several of the students also use Fusion360 for design and development work for the team robot.

What Product and Machine Design solution do you use?

Fusion 360 review by Timothy P.
Timothy P.

"Perfect for small start-ups and large corporations"

What do you like best?

The value for Fusion 360 is unbeatable. I worked at an academic entrepreneurial institute and we emphasized principles of thrift but hypocritically taught 3D design and analysis with expensive CAD packages. Good luck with that when you go out on your own and have to start paying for software. The value for Fusion 360 is incredible. I don't know how they offer it at such low of a price with all of the capabilities and features that it has.

What do you dislike?

I have been using it for over a year and there is nothing so far that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! I want to see this pricing strategy for Fusion 360 to succeed. I hope they make a lot of money on all of the other strategies they have so that it is a success and adopted by enough users to make it sustainable. Autodesk must have put alot of money into its development and I hope that they get the volume of users to make it happen.

In my start-up we have reduced the our software expenses significantly. In addition, as a small start-up we work remotely so the collaboration and online platform have saved us time and money.

Fusion 360 review by Tim S.
Tim S.

"Growing business, a huge variety of different parts - no problem for Fusion 360!"

What do you like best?

We really got hooked on the workflow. It's all set up in a way that Everything makes sense. I use Fusion 360 mainly for the CAM-Environment - I make my DMG DMU 75 run parts every day of the week using only Fusion 360.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I really dislike is the fact that I can't run a custom form tool in multi-axis Flow. But I mean, that's something I can live without but it would be pretty cool if it becomes available in a future update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a shot, I mean - they offer a free trial. I think most of the people who are willing to try it out won't get dissappointed.

We don't have to deal with local or server storage for all our files anymore, that's something that helps us along the way. I work alot during the evenings at home, preparing new programs to be run - with all files being cloud stored this is really simple to achieve. The guys working at the shop floor also really like how easy the software is to use. We have become that much faster at making programs, on the go, at the floor that we don't even see it as a problem anymore.

Fusion 360 review by Tom A.
Tom A.

"Fusion 360 - the future of CAD systems"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 has some serious features which really make it stand out from other CAD systems. While each one has its benefits and downsides, Fusion has some features which other CAD systems are nowhere near having. Mainly things such as the Cloud capability. I can access all my files from anywhere in the world, on any computer, also there are IOS apps so you can take your designs with you on the go, which I have done when I have visited clients, I have taken my iPad and shown them the designs in 3D.

I also like the fact it has multiple features already built into the package - such as CAM and analysis software. Then finally, it's great value, there's no crippling seat fees and annual subscriptions into the thousands, All in all it's great for small and large businesses a like, and also great for hobbyists and students to learn on.

What do you dislike?

Suitability to HD oversize screens - every update (this may have been fixed now, I'm not sure) the interface errors out when you initially run Fusion 360 on it, and makes it unusable. There is a fix for this, but it's quite laborious, and tedious as it has to be "fixed" after every update.

Lastly, the CTRL to orbit is so annoying and unnatural. This is a must change in your preferences so that you can orbit a model around properly with just the mouse.

I am able to render designs for use in demonstrations for clients. The render tool is really easy to use and looks great.

I am also able to keep all my files in an ISO-style directory, all stored in the cloud, rather than being worried about storing clients details on a HDD or server.

Fusion 360 review by Mauro R.
Mauro R.

"Powerful 2D/3D design tool, with some limitations"

What do you like best?

Adobe Fusion 360 is a very powerful, very complete tool for modeling and designing all sorts of objects in 2D or 3D. You can design anything from simple, flat stickers to a complex, multi-part engine with many moving parts (and see them working together) to a house. This program can be used by designers, engineers, architects, you name it. The range of applications is mind-boggling. You can even get a free license if you only want to use as a hobbyist, so even the price is right. The pro license is also pretty affordable if you use it for your business (just over $40/month if you pay yearly, at the time I'm writing this).

What do you dislike?

Can be a little complicated to use, with the user interface being a little arcane sometimes, e.g. extended tooltips describe the tool in a vague manner which doesn't provide much info to the user. Although there are a number of video tutorials available, most of them refer to older versions. There were a number of big changes in the software fairly recent and a lot of the tutorials, even in their own website, are outdated, using commands or tools that are no longer available or have changed since the video was made. Most of the tutorials/help articles are in video format, which can make it hard to follow along while trying to reproduce what they're teaching you. Also, most of the answers you find in the forums refer to older versions too.

I've encountered some stability issues, with the program sometimes freezing or crashing, so make sure you save your projects often.

I also wish their support for meshes was better. As it is, it's almost nonexistent... other than importing the meshes and displaying them on the screen, you can't really do much if you only have a STL or OBJ file that you need to modify. You might have to end up redesigning the whole thing from scratch if you want to change it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I currently use Fusion 360 alongside with a couple of other applications, depending on the specifics of the project. Sometimes it's easier to model objects in simpler applications like Vectary or even Tinkercad, especially if you have to start from existing STL/OBJ files.Fusion 360 definitely has a lot of functionality and it is very powerful, but it can be overkill for simple applications if you only need to sketch something out really quickly.

Some prototyping for packaging and product ideas.

Fusion 360 review by Jack S.
Jack S.

"Fusion 360: Great 2D/3D CAD and FEA, but with an Achilles heel."

What do you like best?

The price: Around 1/10 the cost of Solidworks (software + maintenance) for your first year, and 1/4 the cost thereafter.

Complete functionality on a Mac: Solidworks isn't likely to go there soon, but you can have it today with Fusion 360.

Cloud-based system: Every time you open Fusion 360, you are automatically logged onto the cloud and have access to all the latest updates. Your files are there too, no matter what computer you were working on yesterday, or what continent you were working from.

What do you dislike?

Autodesk has been silent about if, how, and when they intend to get their cloud-based services like Fusion Lifecycle PLM and their Fusion 360 CAD to comply with U.S. export control regulations such as EAR (Department of Commerce) and ITAR (Department of State). My company has customers who will not allow us to work from the Autodesk cloud for this reason, which essentially negates much of the value of using Fusion 360 in the first place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The lack of export controls certification with the Autodesk cloud may or may not be an impediment to some companies enjoying the significant capability and excellent pricing of Fusion 360. Consider this carefully before committing to purchasing and learning this product.

For private consulting, Fusion 360 offers an economical way to access a powerful 2D and 3D CAD application without worrying about whether you'll earn enough just to break even on the annual cost of your CAD maintenance. The start-up costs are an order of magnitude cheaper than Solidworks or other so-called mainstream CAD software programs.

Fusion 360 review by Varun B.
Varun B.

"Good procedural software, missing a few features."

What do you like best?

I love the procedural modeling workflows used in Fusion, as you're able to save a lot of time if you have to go back edit a small piece of a part. I also like the ability to parametrically design the parts, which allows for easy clearance inputs for different manufacturing processes without having to go and edit the clearance of each part one by one.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the lack of features coming from other CAD software as well as media production software like Autodesk Maya. Certain simple tasks, like selecting a loop of edges aren't implemented, which means when you want to do something as simple as filleting/chamfering an edge, you'll have to click on each edge part of the loop. Also, the error messages are extremely cryptic, having more information there would be useful. The online discussion pages for the issues people have had also seems lacking, and I think could be vastly improved by having more tutorials on platforms like YouTube.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this for highly technical projects with stiff requirements.

This software is great when you want to iterate on a part only making small tweaks until your parts fit or perform just right. In addition, many content creators, specifically those providing 3d printing related content are users of the software. This has made it quite easy to learn how to start rapid prototyping designs that would otherwise require entire redesigns each and every time a part would have to be modified.

Fusion 360 review by Chris J.
Chris J.

"My favorite CAD platform!"

What do you like best?

I really like how clean the program is. I've used several CAD programs in the past and I have found that Fusion 360 provides more features in a very organized and attractive manner. I also love the versatility of being able to model and stress test all in the same platform. Perfection!

What do you dislike?

I occasionally run into little hiccups where things just don't work as expected. Typically I don't have issues, but when I do they can be very time consuming and frustrating to work through.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great platform. If you are considering getting it, look into a free trial. They let you test the program for about a month so you can really dig in and find out if you want to use it long term.

I mostly design and build camera parts and motorcycle parts for several companies.

Fusion 360 review by David F.
David F.

"Transformed My Workflow"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 is amazingly well integrated. It includes a modeling and a sculpting workflow. I've also used the finite element analysis to test structural loads and optimize materials. I've used it to collaborate with others on drawings. And I've used its integration with EAGLE to produce mechanical drawings of my populated PCBs automatically so that I could design enclosures and mounts.

What do you dislike?

Fusion can be buggy. But it's getting better. I've asked for and gotten specific bug fixes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free trial to see if it works for you. Use the support videos to learn how to use it. Pay particular attention to the measurement and analysis options.

I've in-housed my hardware design and I've used its integration with on-line machine shops and McMaster-Carr to streamline my manufacturing and ordering.

Fusion 360 review by Lucy R.
Lucy R.

"Excellent CAD and CAM package"

What do you like best?

The flexibility to jump between CAD and Cam facilities. As I mainly use our models to produced CNC machine files the ability to jump between the two saves a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

Some the build features could be improved, solidworks I think does a better job at creating accurate models quickly. I think fusion could improve the accuracy element, sometimes feels a little childish/google sketch up with the way components are produced compared to Solidworks

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a machining program to create GCode fusion is very easy to use, has excellent customer service and help sections if you get stuck. It also is very flexible allowing you to create toolpaths you wouldn't be able to in other programmes.

Creating g code in order to machine parts, without Fusion 360 we would be unable to do this

Fusion 360 review by Alejandro Daniel C.
Alejandro Daniel C.

"Fusion 360, the circle of the CAD"

What do you like best?

* It's the perfect environment to create 3D models. It's very friendly with all the tools that you have to make powerful renders.

* The features to make inserts, hinges, gears, extrudes, etc. are very simple to use and have a perfect match between them.

* You have all the tools and a lot of shortcuts juts with a few touches of your mouse or keyboard.

* The transition of the different camera angles and the views of Fusion 360 are very smooth, even if your computer is not the best.

* Even the representation of complex parts is very fast, having the best machine or not having it.

What do you dislike?

* At the moment you have to import your old STL files that you had created with other CAD software, Fusion 360 imports the piece with many triangles and makes it very difficult to work on it. Sometimes, it's easier to start over with this directly in Fusion 360 and forget about the old.

* All the files that you create are save in the Cloud, and you have to "download" every time that you want to use it. It's a very good idea when you have an internet connection, but when you do not have it, like in a plane flight for example, you can not work on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You don't have to be afraid to switch to Fusion 360 from other CAD software. It's very simple to lear to use and very intuitive tools.

In my organization, Fusion 360 is used to design our 3D prototypes for make 3D printings and test the products before the final version. I am working in the electronic development department, but we collaborate a lot with the design department because all the electronics have to fit in the prototype perfectly. We make the stuff at the same time all together.

Fusion 360 review by Mark T.
Mark T.

"Easy, complete very professional... and free!"

What do you like best?

The business model is unique: Free for startups and hobbyists... no time limit. After that it's reasonably priced.

CAD/CAM is beautifully integrated in one package.

Don't need to worry about upgrades and backup solutions. It's cloud based and everything just works.

What do you dislike?

3D rendering is not great. If we really needed this functionality we would have to look elsewhere or perhaps a plugin/integration partner.

Until recently the functionality of the drawing module (output of 2d drawing for printing purpose or dxf) was very basic and inadequate. This has been addressed in recent updates and is now quite good and very useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. It beats everything else we have compared it to.

We are a startup and this type of functionality would be completely impossible for us to obtain with the traditional expensive solutions.

Going from CAD to CAM is an absolute breeze. Keeping track of versions works well and takes the manual error prone old school methods out of the equation.

Fusion 360 review by Tommy R.
Tommy R.

"Fusion 360 only one issue that is trying to keep up with all new fetchers."

What do you like best?

-Cloud based software.

-One software does it all.

-Always being updated.

- Issues seem to be addressed quickly.

-Strong Forum backing

What do you dislike?

-No radius in the rapid links Like Powermill has.

-As far as I can figure out Fusion doesn't have the ability to be driven by macros to automate programming like Powermill

-There is no boundary automation as in Powermill

If these three things were addressed I know of another company that would switch over to Fusion 360.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion 360 the best all around software. Solidworks and Mastercam might want to start taking notes.

-Designing and Cam all in one software

-Remote access to my files when I'm at a customers place.

-Model updates also updates Cam

Fusion 360 review by Phillip S.
Phillip S.

"Looks promising but lacks critical features"

What do you like best?

Generally good modelling tools. Free for hobby and education. Cam and simulation tools. not to hard to learn comming from other modeling tools.

What do you dislike?

In a sketch you can not snap to two things at once. ie I cant snap to an intersection between two lines. This is crazy and limiting. I often want to extend a line (by hovering over it) and snap to where it intersects another line (possibly also extended)

Creating drawings is very very limited to the extent of being useless for engineering applications. its not possible to exactly rotate and orient lines to the page coordinate system. not possible to dimension paralleled to the page coordinate system. there is no drawing tools so I cant draw lines to show how something lines up, or explain something to the manufacturer. You can not edit any lines drawn from the 3d model.

Recommendations to others considering the product

wait until features mentioned are implimented

free for hobbist

Fusion 360 review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"Somehow this old dog learned new tricks"

What do you like best?

Several major things work really well for me. Designing automation the integration of McMaster Carr's catalogue is game changing , as well I can quickly export directly to my 3D slicer and run a prototype in minutes. And for fun the CAM features allow me to post process to my cnc machines although takes a little longer.

What do you dislike?

Being a long time AutoCAD user I find someoff the things I can do in AutoCAD 3D are far more intuitive than Fusion. And weird little things like trying to copy paste an object or 3DALIGN one componenet to another is poorly coded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recomend you stick with it, it took me sometime and poarts still frustrate me but there are great online free resources for training, especially youtube. I think this is incredibly valuable software to learn if you are at all involved in product design.

I am creating one off automation projects. Benefits are simulation and integration into various manufacturing tools, so speed of process. And lately I have been working in more organic shapes, the ability to work in a sculpt enviroment and move to an more rigid model enviroment is a game changer.

Fusion 360 review by User

"Excellent program, Modest System Requirements, Cloud Sync for File sharing & Rev mgmt is great!"

What do you like best?

Modest system requirements, cloud data management is great and I love being able to run this from multiple computers. I collaborate with others not located in the same area as me and that works very well, I can't imagine trying to manage file revisions etc when working with others. I have enjoyed occasional use of the smartphone app for viewing and rotating models to give quick feedback. Amazing that can run on a modest smartphone (Galaxy S6) so well. That's a good testament to how efficient the viewer is! With the high number of users most questions you run into have been explained well online.

What do you dislike?

Nothing major, some features hard to find in the menus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great program to try, great for hobbyists, Startups and small companies. Requires more moderate PC hardware than other programs and it runs smoothly. I haven't use CAM or FEA functions and I haven't tested functionality with larger organization so I can't speak to that.

New Product Design, Creation of Instructions

Fusion 360 review by Nathan M.
Nathan M.

"Fantastic piece of software"

What do you like best?

I've been using Fusion 360 as my main 3d design software for almost 2 years and have still not found any faults with it. It is very intuitive, easy to use and makes designing very quick and enjoyable. I have never used a 3d modelling software as good as this before, its fantastic.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that you cannot open an stl file to measure or review you have to use a different software from elsewhere for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it, you wont regret it, the software is fantastic and easy to use.

My personal benefits are, creating 3d designs faster, taking the 3d model and projecting it in orthographic views, getting my product completed faster, etc.

Fusion 360 review by Jonathan B.
Jonathan B.

"Excellent design and manufacturing environment!"

What do you like best?

Integrated CAD/CAM. We are a CNC machine shop which has used other big name CAM softwares and who also had a Solidworks license. After trying Fusion we are very satisfied. The integrated CAD/CAM is very useful for improving efficiency and has improved the quality of our machined parts by allowing us to tailor a customers CAD model before machining without having to switch software.

What do you dislike?

I wish the file management were slightly different. I do like having cloud access to our files, however I wished it stored everything locally and synced to the cloud, like DropBox, as opposed to their implementation which stores on the cloud and caches locally for a fixed amount of time. I know they do this for collaboration purposes, however I would still prefer a "DropBox" style approach.

I also wish they supported 2 and 4 axis wire EDM. This is the only thing I have not switched over to Fusion from our old CAM system (running a perpetual expired license just to keep wire EDM). I can hack this to work by using the 2D cutting tools like plasma/waterjet/laser then merge two 2D programs to create a 4 axis wire profile, but I am holding onto hope they may eventually implement wire EDM before I go through that effort.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it, it's free to try.

Fusion has helped us dramatically increase our CNC machining efficiency. The CAM environment is very easy to use and offers many high end features which we used to have to pay extra for with our prior CAM vendor. The quality of parts coming off our machines has also improved due to the more efficient programming strategies as well as the integrated CAD environment, which our prior CAM vendor did not implement very well.

Fusion 360 review by Gerald H.
Gerald H.

"Collaboration and multiplatform use is excellent"

What do you like best?

The ability to easily view and model using multiple platforms has been so valuable compared to modeling software with a substantial installation. I have only used the collaboration tools a few times, but that has already made modeling with a lot of stakeholders much easier than other modeling software,

What do you dislike?

The online help is spotty for resolving an issue. The tool typically directs me to community instead of formal help tools. My preference is formal tool then community for support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion 360 is worth considering. The Easter Egg hunt of finding the tools and different modeling workflow was a short learning curve that the online help system made helped adequately enough.

I needed a tool to model a part as a base for my manufacturer to optimize my design for manufacturing. The manufacturer uses a competitor modeling software so the sharing was batched not real time so not ideal, but good enough.

Fusion 360 review by Administrator

"Great price point for the functionalitly"

What do you like best?

We are SolidWorks users that needed an affordable CAM package so that is what got us into Fusion 360 about 2 years ago. We now use Fusion about 50% of the time compared to SolidWorks. The software is constantly evolving and it is almost always for the best. There is a huge network of users and it is easy software to use personally as well due to the price point and the fact that it is free to hobbyists and students. The cloud features are convenient for sharing libraries and being able to work on projects from any work station without having to carry the files around. It also will now open native SolidWorks files so we no longer have to convert to a generic file format. The price point for the functionality you get in Fusion 360 can not be beat right now.

What do you dislike?

What I don't like is that every now and then a update will hit that will have a bug and at times that has impacted our production. We also do some ITAR work, so due to the cloud based nature of the software, we can not do everything in Fusion. It does not have as many features for creating and maintaining drawings. It is not as easy to create and manage assemblies as in SolidWorks, but in all fairness, it take a different approach using bodies and components instead of components and assemblies like SW.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. It is too easy and affordable to not try it.

Fusion is our CAM work horse. It has be able to do everything we have needed so far.

Fusion 360 review by Oral T.
Oral T.

"Best free professional CAD on the market: Fusion 360"

What do you like best?

It's a parametric CAD program. You could have the chance to modify 3d models after finishing the job. This feature eliminates redesigning of the projects again and again.

You could reach most used design tools easily via right mouse click which opens a tool widget.

Fusion 360 is a comprehensive CAD software which has a clean and understandable user interface.

What do you dislike?

Fusion 360 has a cloud platform. That's good. But if you have a slow and unsteady internet connection then you could be encounter lagging and unnecessary waiting times in Fusion 360.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that it is better to use it on the off-line mode. Thus you could avoid lagging in Fusion 360.

I designed a lot of 3d models which were needed by my customers. It is a great solid modelling tool for 3d printing.

Fusion 360 review by Matthew P.
Matthew P.

"A real contender to the heavyweight CAM market"

What do you like best?

Price point for the power! Keeps my overhead low while allowing me to do the same thing a $5k competitors software does.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to find something i don't really like about it. I will say i use this software strictly for CAM but have been able to learn enough between several of the work spaces to be productive in all aspects of how i use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! For the price point and power its a no brainer.

low overhead gives me the ability to quote low and gain new clients.

Fusion 360 review by Christopher A.
Christopher A.

"Fantastic software for designing product prototypes"

What do you like best?

Like other CAD software, the mathematical precision of the operations one can perform within the software is absolutely invaluable. Add onto that the ability to create animated rigs for simple machines with an incredibly intuitive animation kit, and product demonstrations can be easily made. The shading and material library is fantastic as well, and objects can be shaded with a simple drag and drop operation. A prototype product can be designed, animated, and shaded all within the course of a few hours, rather than tens of hours.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the animation tools can be a tiny bit confusing when setting the direction of object motion, for instance, when creating a piston system, sometimes it can be rather easy to make the animation occur in the direction opposite to what is desired, but this is just a minor gripe to a comparatively fantastic CAD software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is incredibly easy to pick up, and if you have a background in CAD or know the general 3D Design terminology, then you will find this software to have a relatively low learning curve, meaning it's easy to pick up.

Whenever an idea for a product is considered, Fusion 360 is usually my go-to software to create and animate the aforementioned product, as a cost effective means for creating a rudimentary simulation of that particular product and what it would achieve.

"Amazing product"

What do you like best?

I love Fusion 360 – ever since I was a beta tester in 2013. It has been a pleasure to see how well your team has evolved this product to the point where companies like mine can significantly increase our productivity. It has been great for working with subcontracted engineers who still use solidworks (for whatever reason) – your team’s approach to direct modelling makes interoperability an issue of the past.

What do you dislike?

Limited ability to take ownership of models created by employees.

To support our company's growth, we require, scalable, flexible, cost effective software tools which are focused on innovation and value rather than squeezing maximum revenue from dated software. Fusion has so far exceed our requirements for mCAD.

Fusion 360 review by User in Aviation & Aerospace
User in Aviation & Aerospace

"Great value for the price"

What do you like best?

I like the integration of CAD and CAM and Simulation all in one package. Being able to switch back and forth between those 3 in the design process has been a huge time saver. I'm not sure how this works but the program allows for offline design work. I have a Microsoft surface and do most of the CAD and CAM work offline and everything loads just fine.

What do you dislike?

CAM and CAD still feel a little like a beta release at times. Some of the functionality is buggy and will perform differently at different times. One other example is that the mouse hover help feature when establishing a tool path. When trying to understand more about what a feature does, they will have a pop box to explain it. This is really helpful for some. Others have a half filled in help box with a missing image or text. Program will unexpectedly close or not open the first time you try clicking on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great value for the price. Can work well without needing a CAD computer set up. CAM and CAD can feel clunky at times. Sketch tools are a little confusing at first and it can be hard to tell where constraints are.

Designing something that needs to be machined and creating those tool paths has been overall a good experience with Fusion 360.

Fusion 360 review by Dave K.
Dave K.

"Best step forward in years"

What do you like best?

I love the CAM function. I've been using Vectric previously and while it is a great programme it didn't have the functionality I was looking for and when I came across Fusion 360 it did exactly what I required without the cumbersome and time consuming work around.

What do you dislike?

I'd really like the ability to customise your mouse and keyboard shortcuts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd say go for it. I'm a novice with CAM and I managed to get my head around it fairly quickly and still managed to stay sane.

I needed the ability to cut past the base of the part to avoid tool changes. This has allowed me to reduce the production tome by nearly 80%

Fusion 360 review by User in Industrial Automation
User in Industrial Automation

"The best software I've found that allows me to design and manufacture in the same program."

What do you like best?

Fusion is an all inclusive platform that will allow the design of all the types of assemblies I do and it allows me to take each part all the way through the machining process. I really enjoy that it is cloud based so I can work in my office then go home and decide i want to try something or look at something and I can hop on my home computer and all my designs are there. And it does not require the powerhouse computer that solidworks does.

What do you dislike?

Updates without permission and sometime looses all my preferences and I have to reset up my post processors. Would like better support for post processing as well. The no local support or hard to find corporate support is also a little annoying. I would really like to be able to create sketches in the cam workspace to use for machining.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a shot it might work differently than your used to but it works well.

Its one software that I can use for everything but the electrical design.

Fusion 360 review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Fusion 360 - CAD for the Beginner to the Pro"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 incorporates easy-to use CAD tools, incredible rendering capabilities, CAM software, and even sheet metal fabrication tools. The state-of-the-art software not only features parametric modelling, but also features advanced surfacing and free-form modeling capabilities. It is easy to use and cloud-based, so files can stay put when you are working on different computers.

What do you dislike?

It does lack certain features which make working on other file types a little bit of a pain, but with the amount of updates and additions the Fusion team adds in a timely manner, more features are being added to help with this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If price is a concern and you need great CAD and surface modeling tools, then Fusion 360 is for you.

Fusion 360 allows me to download and analyze customer models so that I can consult with them on their projects.

Fusion 360 review by Luciana M.
Luciana M.

"Fusion 360, the easiest 3D modeling app you can find!"

What do you like best?

It's amazing how CAD programs just keep getting harder to use. Except for this one. With Fusion, everything is smooth and easy to do. All features are well explained and really intuitive.

What do you dislike?

Some of the views features don't work as good as they could work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's one of the easiest and fullest CAD program you'll find on the market, if you are doubting, give it a try!

We could finally use a CAD program that didn't need hours and hours of preparation before starting to design. You just sit there with Fusion 360 and start creating.

Fusion 360 review by Robert G.
Robert G.

"Fusion 360 is our number one CAD !"

What do you like best?

Fusion is the best quality price CAD software out there for modelling 3d printing part. At Lezar3D, I use it on a regular base. It's easy to use and possible to edit .stl file and get plug in for extra fonction. We will recommend to any one starting to a new software related to 3D printing. Other software like Netfabb and Meshmixer are great complement with it.

What do you dislike?

If you let the software to do other thing and come back, it happen to bug sometimes, so be sure to save when you quite for a break.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Related to 3D printing

We use it for modelling our 3D models.

Fusion 360 review by Hector R.
Hector R.

"Good Tool for Concepting"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 has a really easy to use interface without too many bells and whistles to confused a newcomer. It's also free to use (depending on criteria) and has the ability to send the files for 3D printing. Since the program is cloud based, it is easy to switch computers and start off where you left off on a previous device. Fusion 360 also has a way to record the steps taken to build an object so if modification needs to be made on one part, it will change it, while keeping the other steps that might have been done before.

What do you dislike?

There is no easy way to export or convert the CAD objects into an obj file if one needs to take it into a creative 3D program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to have a pretty descent machine.

It's a great way to create hard surface models with a nice enough render for a presentation.

Fusion 360 review by User in Higher Education

"THE Tool for 3D Print Projects"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity of the layout and that Fusion 360 is yet very powerful, and can be complicated. With power comes complexity is many cases of course. You can design your 3D project / image(s) and then export it as an .obj or .stl file and it is ready for opening in your slicer - be it Simplify3D or Cura or any other application. Then export to .gcode and print your 3D image. The community of users is large enough that it is easy to find help if you are new to 3D applications.

What do you dislike?

I can only think of one item that I dislike and that is the lack of intuitiveness - but at the same time, I think that is to be expected in a 3D application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you delve into using Fusion 360, do not be discouraged as it is very different compared to most applications - yet very similar to other 3D or CAD applications. Go into using it with some time on your hands that you can put toward exploring and looking up videos or other types of tutorials. They are out there. Just don't expect it to become simple over-night

I oversee the 3D printing that students need to do for class assignments and I also help them with personal items they produce. Often this has been useful to developing prototype images for planning.

Fusion 360 review by User

"Still adjusting, but worth it for the cloud-based system"

What do you like best?

Fusion is great for simple builds. I love the cloud system that allows me to be able to access one license from anywhere, as well as the files. Makes so much sense.

What do you dislike?

Fusion can have trouble with complex builds (freezes and closes). I also don't care for the interface and usability compared to Solidworks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion is great, and the industry is definitely starting to use it more and more. It's a great way to learn CAD and decide if you want to invest in Solidworks, or stick with Fusion.

I use fusion to build my designs to send out to factories to have produced. There are lots of features that help make it manufacturable, and I also like that someone else on my team can pick up where I left off. I also like that it has surfacing- kind of like solidworks and alias combined.

Fusion 360 review by User

"Fusion 360 for product development"

What do you like best?

It's very powerful, and intuitive. I love how well I can manage my files using the cloud. The versioning is amazing.

What do you dislike?

Sharing files with team members isn't always the best. Especially team members who don't have a fusion 360 subscription. Right now I can not figure out a way to make my data decentralized. Right now i have to share all my projects with several team members in case something happens to one of us. Ontop of that my boss who doesn't use Fusion can not access any of my work without me sending him a public link to the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More options to share your Data with a team.

I work in product development for a furniture company, mostly office focused products. We have used Fusion to help design desks, chairs, lighting, room dividers, couches, coffee tables and many other items.

Fusion 360 review by todd s.
todd s.

"great cad package with more features for less money !!!!!"

What do you like best?

I love the timeline at the bottom for scrubbing through various stages of the design. Very easy to edit cad files in a nonlinear format. Also, love innovative features like the sheet metal add-on and the new and improved hole wizard

What do you dislike?

I wish they had a more robust selection of pre-made fasteners and basic parts used most commonly in part design and manufacturing. Would be nice to not have to always be creating screws etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anyone looking to do simple to advance CAD will love fusion. I have heard there are model limitations but I have not hit them.

Allows us to quickly build and test CAD parts and even allows for the easy pipeline to 3d printing.

Fusion 360 review by Carl S.
Carl S.

"Extensive user of Fusion 360"

What do you like best?

I like that it has a variety of functions( T-spline, solid modelling, Rendering, CAM, etc) that I can seamlessly switch between within the same design. I also like that it is a powerful program with a clean and intuitive interface. The cloud storage of designs and could rendering features are also extremely nice.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there are limited options for exporting designs from Fusion 360 into other programs( Even other Autodesk ones).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion is a great software for creating CAD models quickly and accurately. It lacks some of a complex assembly functions of other software, and its rendering engine is not as powerful as dedicated rendering programs such as Keyshot. Overall good for smaller designs, but surprisingly powerful.

I solved a variety of business problems including: a wearable worker safety device, a new system for loading cars onto trains, and a retail booth model for Cameras. The benefits I have gained are rapid iterations, easy rendering using the cloud rendering engine, and the ability to share designs with others without them needing CAD software.

Fusion 360 review by Melissa H.
Melissa H.

"Learning curve but not to bad"

What do you like best?

It's a step up from tinkercad, which I have been using in the classroom. The fact that students and educators can get it for free has me trying to create lesson plans to incorporate it in to my class.

What do you dislike?

Learning curve. I have experience with basic CAD programs and this was not out of the box intuitive. I'm still learning it through Lynda videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the Lynda videos

More robust CAD program than Tinkercad reddish I have been using to introduce students to 3D printing.

Fusion 360 review by Scott R.
Scott R.

"Overall I like the prouct.... its complicated, but I like it. "

What do you like best?

The variable based design and the ability to generate CNC prifles.

What do you dislike?

CAM Is really confusing. I wish the inputs for the setup and the inputs for the dimensions for where to start a certain cut were better defined in the windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be ready... its complicated, but really powerfull.

I build furniture and do a bunch of CNC work. Fusion gives me a platform to 3D model, and also show what I can build. It really helps me get an idea of what materials are needed and gives me a really good cut list to use later.

Fusion 360 review by Kunal S.
Kunal S.

"NEW IN TOWN!"

What do you like best?

The best would be the smooth cloud backup feature, the new proposal of a cloud rendering system, which works pretty smooth. A mix a polygon modelling and engineering precision, fusion360 can make it to the top in a few years. The tools are pretty much straight forward! the UI simple and extremely user friendly. it makes fusion360 very smooth and easy to handle. it makes you happy with many features like direct 3d printing,etc.

What do you dislike?

It's new, still a lot to learn. You can't build everything in fusion! there are still things which it lacks, and they are not small features. you cannot trust the cloud rendering, for immediate renderings fusion is not something i would rely on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say, fusion is best for product design, interiors and drone design as well. it has the power to create concepts with real dimensions. sounds funny, but true. the cloud storage and backup with the app support is really well done.

rapid modelling of products and promoting use of fusion360. the benefits would be the new age design / UI and smooth cloud backup and access.

Fusion 360 review by Ujwal I.
Ujwal I.

"The compact software with multiple characters."

What do you like best?

The software has a potential to replace many existing softwares- the reason is because of its unified tools and ease of learning. It has multiple tools right from parametric modeling to sculpting as well as surface modeling which then can be used to model the industrial designed product that can be tested with inbuilt simulators. Its built in rendering tools also allows a quick visualizing interpretation, allowing the user to share the progress of the model for quick feedbacks for changes to be done in real time.

It does have the option for cloud storage allowing the safety of our files, and the easy access from any system/laptop/mobile to showcase and present the 3D model.

What do you dislike?

Not much is there to dislike on the software for the time being, apart from its rendering abilities is quiet weak when compared with other software. It's a bit irritating- due to its cloud storage option that we as users have to remind ourselves to keep a backup of the file on the system so as to not depend on internet every time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the time being it is the software to invest your money on- As an industrial designer this is one software that allows me to get the results that I seek for quick 3D development, from sketch to a 3D printing ready model - which can also be directly fed into a 3D printer. It requires a very short time to be trained to use the software and once you get the hang of the method on how to create things the software allows us to develop the product even further.

It is light on the hardware of our computer systems and takes the complete advantage of the cloud synchronization - giving us the ability to share and visualize our models without any extra add ons of softwares

none

Fusion 360 review by Paul D.
Paul D.

"Build shell for IT product"

What do you like best?

Provide similar tools that you can find in solidworks. It is lighter to use it, and it works on Mac os x. you can build parametric 3D easily, and export them or use the software to 3D pring or manufacture your model in a CNC machine. You can directly manage the drilling head and there specifities depending on what you have available and the need of precision of your object

What do you dislike?

I don't like the interface, despite it is modern, it doesn't work correctly when your model become too complexe. The simulation tools are not advanced as other like the one in solidworks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion 360 is a good alternative to solidworks, providing usefull tools such as, parametric modelisation, rapid prototyping, rendering, physical test.

I am conceiving shell pieces for existing technologies. I modelise the package of the technology, and build the shell around it. All the build in feature allow to have a fluide workflow

Fusion 360 review by Bonne W.
Bonne W.

"Fusion 360 is the powerhouse of CAD for SME's and hobbyists"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 is first off is accessible.

Using a subscription based model and provided content for free for low level users and start ups. Fusion 360 really enables anyone to jump into a professional CAD CAM software and start a project without the need to purchase traditional CAD packages which easily run into the thousands.

An all in one. it really is.

Free form modeling T spilnes, paramentric modeling, animation (needs work) rendering (cloudbased), CAM and simulation all in one product. means as a small company or freelancer you have access to all the tools you could possibly need to design and produce real products.

The extensive online tutorials makes the learning curve very easy and with so many features this is really important.

What do you dislike?

It can be slow and crashes a fair amount, however in the defense the support is very good and as it it cloud based data is normally always safe, although i have had a few large files corrupt on me.

The Clodbased rendering while great sometimes struggles with large complex files. cloud credits also soon add up and can be expensive. however if rendering is important there are plugins from Keyshot, and Thea Render.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a industrial design student, freelancer or a small SME i would strongly recommend download the free trial and testing it out.

I use fusion 360 for my own personal projects and my start up.

it has allowed us as a start up company to design our products to a stand

Fusion 360 review by Sirisha A.
Sirisha A.

"Powerful Software, fairly Priced"

What do you like best?

The best thing I like about Fusion 360 is its ease of use and the cloud sharing capabilities which will make designing a smooth process. A high school student can start modeling his ideas and the manufacturer has the tools to give shape to it all within the software. Small components can be directly programmed to 3d print and large assemblies can be animated well.

What do you dislike?

In assembly modules, I am looking for more motion study elements

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product

I am trying to create everyday consumer goods for the FMCG market.

Fusion 360 review by Rajesh P.
Rajesh P.

"Simple To Use And A Product For Engineers"

What do you like best?

Simple To Use ,Response To Any Kind Of Problems,Simple Interface,Provides A Variety Of Actual Situation Solution.

What do you dislike?

Size Of Software Is Bit Large In Terms Of Space

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very efficient as compared to other software available

Solution Of Various Mechanical Model ,Their Practical Situation Analysis .

It Is Useful To Provide Various 3D Models Of Nearly Anything.

It Also Has A Mobile Friendly App Which Is Very Helpful To carry And Show Your Work In A Go.

Fusion 360 review by Luca F.
Luca F.

"An amazing a powerful tools for designers"

What do you like best?

Lot of functions and surfaces sculpting features, cooperative working in the cloud (for free!), ridiculously cheap for companies. This software bring to you the power of a 3D software like Solidworks and Rhinoceros totally free: the Autodesk team let the users decide future features and the communities offers cools plug-ins.

The app for iOS or Android give you the possibility to take notes or see in 360 your models from remote.

What do you dislike?

Still have to improve the plugins store as, at the moment, it’s a little bit empty.

Primely I’m working with an amazing 3D software with a free license, second working with surfaces it’s never been easier for me. Some features like “wrapping surfaces around a body” are just amazing and very useful.

Fusion 360 review by Vittorio C.
Vittorio C.

"This is the future of CAD and design work"

What do you like best?

I love the collaboration tools readily available right out of the box, allowing you to share and critique quickly and easily.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike here! I've used a number of systems in the past, and Fusion I picked up and with little to no guidance, starting mocking up a product within minutes. beautiful!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it... You'll easily see the difference from other softwares.

Cost, very manageable for startup or anyone for that matter.

Collaboration/Transparency, the share tools work really slick.

Fusion 360 review by Adam .
Adam .

"Its powerfull and easy to learn. Maker dream."

What do you like best?

It's really easy to lear and very intuitive and powerfull at the same time. You can found thousands of tutorials and courses and the community is very helpfull. It's great for 3d printing designs.

What do you dislike?

Stability and update process could be improved. Changing size of certain parts of the project could be difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's cheap or free and very powerful tool for 3d design. Great for makers, students and startup!

3d designs for non commercial and commercial use. I'v realised that 3d modelling could be easy and fun.

Fusion 360 review by Karl E.
Karl E.

"F360 is my new best friend in the world of 3D CAD/CAM"

What do you like best?

It's free for a startup company like mine, and it's easy to learn and use!

What do you dislike?

The initial learning curve, but that's more me than the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If it seems overwhelming at first, I highly recommend joining Titans of CNC Academy and going through all of the tutorials.

My old software was limited to 2D paths. I can now run 3D surface contours.

Fusion 360 review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Difficult to master, but extremely powerful"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 is extremely powerful, there is a steep learning curve, but once you grasp the basics you can create most anything. I use it to create models for my 3d printer, the automatic export for printing is very useful. The maker edition is really awesome if you're just getting started with 3d printing or computer-aided design.

What do you dislike?

This program has a very steep learning curve. Be prepared to watch all of the introduction videos in order to get comfortable with the toolset it provides. The cloud storage can sometimes be painful to work with. Having to upload a model before being able to import into my creation is painful. It is also slower than most cloud applications, so it is very noticeable that you're working on the cloud (e.g. long load times to close the app because it has to sync work in progress). Sometimes the GUI can be buggy, or do unexpected things.

I used this application to create 3d models.

Learn more about Fusion 360

Fusion 360 Videos

Learning about Fusion 360?

* We monitor all Fusion 360 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.