GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite

Civil Engineering Road and Transportation Infrastructure Design Software

Work for GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite?

Learning about GEOPAK?

GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite Reviews

Showing 31 GEOPAK reviews
GEOPAK review by <span>Tyler D.</span>
Tyler D.

Seriously is there a better option?

What do you like best?

Most days it's not great but i have used it to place cells in our plans and it allows me to do things much much quicker. But for the most part it's very buggy and crashes a lot.

What do you dislike?

It's very very buggy and tends to crash a lot. we've had instances where it crashes by simply hovering over a CAD element. It however is the only thing we can actually use for what we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you find a better option out there make it known to the world. my guess is that you won't, Geopak works fine, it just really loves to crash often.

It's the only software we have to cut cross sections, draw alignments, draw profiles. I will say that I have used it to play many of my erosion control items and when it doesn't crash it does quite well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
GEOPAK review by <span>Tri T.</span>
Tri T.

Microstation GeoPak

What do you like best?

For a junior roadway engineer, learning GEOPAK may not be a big deal. However as technology keeps evolving, more experienced and higher level engineers would need to learn how to use road design software and GEOPAK is definitely not recommended. The work flow is not user friendly. It is more time consuming to go thru the Project manager tool and the use of the GPK file than its counterpart Inroads. Furthermore, GEOPAK is only used in North America as opposed to InRoads which is widely used outside of the US.

It is intersing to note that GeoPak modeler is similar to InRoads modeling tool.

What do you dislike?

The work flow is not user friendly. It is more time consuming to go thru the Project manager tool. All the files associated with the software have to be loaded correctly before you can start doing any designs. Sometime this process is tremendously frustrating for beginners.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have no useful recommendations to anyone considering using GEOPAK as this software can be difficult to mastered. You may want to consider using InRoads instead.

I have only used GEOPAK twice in my career thus far to design roadways and encountered so many problems with the software. It has a tendency to crash a lot. Nowadays I use InRoads or PowerInRoads for my designs and have someone familiar with GeoPak convert Inroads files into Geopak compatible files for me if the files need to be transferred to any DOT agencies that use GeoPak.

I truly do not see any benefits with GeoPak so far in my career.

What Civil Engineering Design solution do you use?

GEOPAK review by <span>Preston K.</span>
Preston K.

Geopak for Civil Design

What do you like best?

Geopak is a really powerful software package for civil design. In my experience it is more customizable and precise than Civil3d, but that comes at the cost of simplicity. Proper training is really essential, but provided you have some guidance, there is so much you can do with Geopak.

What do you dislike?

User-friendliness is definitely not the strong suit of Geopak. A lot of the nomenclature is not intuitive, and the amount of customization is overwhelming as a new user. It is definitely most useful for someone with a lot of time and patience to dig through the tutorials and training - a luxury I did not always have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your clients will accept projects in Geopak. Then, be prepared to dedicate some time to training. It is not something you can pick up just from playing around with.

I've primarily used it for linear alignment-based projects such as canals and levees. We used the road tools in these cases, but without any real issues. It was generally straightforward to lay out the alignments and profiles. Surface grading was a bit of a challenge and bit laborious. Basically the choice to use Geopak comes down to what the client wants, and what our people have experience in. In my case, TxDOT uses Geopak, and my PM came up in the Transportation group, so we built these projects using Geopak.

GEOPAK review by <span>Megan A.</span>
Megan A.

I am a daily user for transportation related projects.

What do you like best?

I think corridor modeler, aside from being quite buggy, does enable the use to produce and detailed 3D surface accurately and efficiently on fairly standard projects. It also enables a user to very quickly get a rough estimate of earthwork and ROW. It takes only a few minutes to make a profile, grab a template often provided by state DOT's, and get a preliminary idea of what a corridor is going to look like.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how many menu options there are. I wish there was one concise control panel for everything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find out what your client wants. That's really the determining factor.

We are currently using microstation geopak too design a roadway within predetermined ROW limits. Being able to quickly update profiles and ditch grades has been helpful.

GEOPAK review by <span>Paul N.</span>
Paul N.

20+ years using Geopak Suite

What do you like best?

I like the direction Geopak is taking the software. Corridor modeling is good, still needs more tools. Since the Site Component has been taken out, there really hasn't been a replacement. This needs further development.

What do you dislike?

Like any software that has bugs, anything that courses the software to crash is an automatic dislike. The lack of publication and instructions in the help is frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get proper training, there is a learning curve. For an engineer at least 2-3 years of CAD experience. for a CAD tech at least 10 years of CAD and good engineering/survey understanding.

Geopak Site and Geopak Criteria had been without a doubt the most used features I have used to solve numerous problems with design and also with creating models for 3D presentations.

GEOPAK review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering
Referral to G2 Crowd from another user

Geopak Review

What do you like best?

Geopak is great for determining specific point elevations, stations, offsets, etc. which is very important for bridges. The various features allows many ways for checking roadway cross section and plan elements.

What do you dislike?

With more complex files, Geopak can cause the Microstation to freeze and exit the program. Geopak can be difficult to learn, but with a good training program it is a beneficial program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Might be good to take a training course if possible to get the best out of all the features available.

Structural roadway items.

Learning about GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite?

* We monitor all GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.