GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite

3.9

Civil Engineering Road and Transportation Infrastructure Design Software

Work for GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite?

Learning about GEOPAK?

GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite Reviews

Showing 31 GEOPAK reviews
GEOPAK review by Tyler D.
Tyler D.

"Seriously is there a better option?"

What do you like best?

Most days it's not great but i have used it to place cells in our plans and it allows me to do things much much quicker. But for the most part it's very buggy and crashes a lot.

What do you dislike?

It's very very buggy and tends to crash a lot. we've had instances where it crashes by simply hovering over a CAD element. It however is the only thing we can actually use for what we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you find a better option out there make it known to the world. my guess is that you won't, Geopak works fine, it just really loves to crash often.

It's the only software we have to cut cross sections, draw alignments, draw profiles. I will say that I have used it to play many of my erosion control items and when it doesn't crash it does quite well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite
GEOPAK review by Tri T.
Tri T.

"Microstation GeoPak"

What do you like best?

For a junior roadway engineer, learning GEOPAK may not be a big deal. However as technology keeps evolving, more experienced and higher level engineers would need to learn how to use road design software and GEOPAK is definitely not recommended. The work flow is not user friendly. It is more time consuming to go thru the Project manager tool and the use of the GPK file than its counterpart Inroads. Furthermore, GEOPAK is only used in North America as opposed to InRoads which is widely used outside of the US.

It is intersing to note that GeoPak modeler is similar to InRoads modeling tool.

What do you dislike?

The work flow is not user friendly. It is more time consuming to go thru the Project manager tool. All the files associated with the software have to be loaded correctly before you can start doing any designs. Sometime this process is tremendously frustrating for beginners.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have no useful recommendations to anyone considering using GEOPAK as this software can be difficult to mastered. You may want to consider using InRoads instead.

I have only used GEOPAK twice in my career thus far to design roadways and encountered so many problems with the software. It has a tendency to crash a lot. Nowadays I use InRoads or PowerInRoads for my designs and have someone familiar with GeoPak convert Inroads files into Geopak compatible files for me if the files need to be transferred to any DOT agencies that use GeoPak.

I truly do not see any benefits with GeoPak so far in my career.

What Civil Engineering Design solution do you use?

GEOPAK review by Preston K.
Preston K.

"Geopak for Civil Design"

What do you like best?

Geopak is a really powerful software package for civil design. In my experience it is more customizable and precise than Civil3d, but that comes at the cost of simplicity. Proper training is really essential, but provided you have some guidance, there is so much you can do with Geopak.

What do you dislike?

User-friendliness is definitely not the strong suit of Geopak. A lot of the nomenclature is not intuitive, and the amount of customization is overwhelming as a new user. It is definitely most useful for someone with a lot of time and patience to dig through the tutorials and training - a luxury I did not always have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your clients will accept projects in Geopak. Then, be prepared to dedicate some time to training. It is not something you can pick up just from playing around with.

I've primarily used it for linear alignment-based projects such as canals and levees. We used the road tools in these cases, but without any real issues. It was generally straightforward to lay out the alignments and profiles. Surface grading was a bit of a challenge and bit laborious. Basically the choice to use Geopak comes down to what the client wants, and what our people have experience in. In my case, TxDOT uses Geopak, and my PM came up in the Transportation group, so we built these projects using Geopak.

GEOPAK review by Megan A.
Megan A.

"I am a daily user for transportation related projects."

What do you like best?

I think corridor modeler, aside from being quite buggy, does enable the use to produce and detailed 3D surface accurately and efficiently on fairly standard projects. It also enables a user to very quickly get a rough estimate of earthwork and ROW. It takes only a few minutes to make a profile, grab a template often provided by state DOT's, and get a preliminary idea of what a corridor is going to look like.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how many menu options there are. I wish there was one concise control panel for everything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find out what your client wants. That's really the determining factor.

We are currently using microstation geopak too design a roadway within predetermined ROW limits. Being able to quickly update profiles and ditch grades has been helpful.

GEOPAK review by Paul N.
Paul N.

"20+ years using Geopak Suite"

What do you like best?

I like the direction Geopak is taking the software. Corridor modeling is good, still needs more tools. Since the Site Component has been taken out, there really hasn't been a replacement. This needs further development.

What do you dislike?

Like any software that has bugs, anything that courses the software to crash is an automatic dislike. The lack of publication and instructions in the help is frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get proper training, there is a learning curve. For an engineer at least 2-3 years of CAD experience. for a CAD tech at least 10 years of CAD and good engineering/survey understanding.

Geopak Site and Geopak Criteria had been without a doubt the most used features I have used to solve numerous problems with design and also with creating models for 3D presentations.

"Geopak Review"

What do you like best?

Geopak is great for determining specific point elevations, stations, offsets, etc. which is very important for bridges. The various features allows many ways for checking roadway cross section and plan elements.

What do you dislike?

With more complex files, Geopak can cause the Microstation to freeze and exit the program. Geopak can be difficult to learn, but with a good training program it is a beneficial program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Might be good to take a training course if possible to get the best out of all the features available.

Structural roadway items.

"Great for Productivity"

What do you like best?

The ease of using civil engineering principles for Roadway design, the ease of working on Microstation in sync with GEOPAK. A lot of the tasks that would take a very long time can be down fairly quickly, I specially like the ease of computing earthwork quantities, it used to take us a very long time pre GEOPAK days, but now it's done fairly quickly.

What do you dislike?

Switching between projects is a pain, during my day since I check the work done by my engineers, I'm switching between projects multiple times and I feel it takes a lot of clicks to load up respective job.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As the Roadway Engineering department manager for my organization I saw an exponential increase in productivity of my engineers, when we started using GEOPAK to its full potential, I would strongly recommend it to anyone.

The biggest benefit for me is the increase in efficiency and productivity of my engineers, the jobs that were taking us days in the past can now quickly be done in hours.

GEOPAK review by Gary B.
Gary B.

"GEOPAK review"

What do you like best?

The best thing about GEOPAK is since lots of people are forced to use the difficult product, there are lots of documentation. Even the DOT maintains a fairly current website detailing how to use its features to produce plans according to their standards. So I like the unofficial support the best about GEOPAK.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the unintuitive difficulty of the program. Some complex and robust programs one can start using with very limited knowledge because button layout has a certain logic and tooltips are explanatory. One just cannot self teach themselves GEOPAK without very specific guides and instructions. And usually there is only a single way to do something . For example, creating multiple layouts and sheets for a plan set is a very detailed list of instrucitons, and if you miss one command or have instructions for a different version of GEOPAK than the one you are using, so the commands are slightly different, you are basically up the creek without a paddle. The program is very difficult to use without a solid set of instructions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have good instrucitons on how to accomplish the tasks at hand and you should be fine when using the program.

I use geopak mainly for bridge plans and road plans. Another benefit is at the various companies I've worked for, there is usually a guy thats very familiar with the program and he can get it to sing. So when a task comes up, having accurate knowledge assists me in creating a set of plans quickly, though there isn't much room for optional embellishments, which is something I enjoy.

GEOPAK review by Ricky H.
Ricky H.

"geopak civil suite"

What do you like best?

I like how all the programs work together. I've been in the transportation field for over 20 years.

What do you dislike?

I dont like the fact that you basically need two screens for all the toolboxes it opens. I don't like that Bentley is starting to take a hit with many of the DOT's because autodesk is giving free product and free training for them to switch, meaning we are having to switch or have multiple expensive software platforms. Very expensive for a company who has 80 plus licenses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest looking at what your clients want. Our company is basically moving away from geopak only because most of our clients require autodesks civil3d. The users were quite reluctant but that is the nature of the business. It just sucks when you end up with $60k of software on your computer to do your job.

We are a multidisciplinary firm and using geopak civil suite allows all the disciplines to collaborate more efficiently.

User in Civil Engineering

"I have been using GEOPAK on Transportation projects for almost two years."

What do you like best?

I love the fact how easy it is to create Horizontal and vertical curves with GEOPAK. Plan, Profile, or Cross Section labeling is also very simple to use, and a huge time saver when doing a large projects. I also try to use GEOPAK for calculating quantities as much a possible.

What do you dislike?

GEOPAK can be difficult to learn at first, especially getting all of the COGO and USER Preferences correct when initiating a project. Some of the bugs that come with the program, like freezing up or slowing down when a lot of references are involved in the project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn how to set up the user and cogo preferences well right at the beginning of your learning process. Also get used to using the Project manager.

I am involved with the design aspect of civil engineering, not the buisness side.

GEOPAK review by Gerardo T.
Gerardo T.

"Geopak CE Suite is excellent for roadway design but Civil 3D is fastly graining ground on them."

What do you like best?

The flexibility to work with Raster files, especially aerial pictures. It handles large files with ease and doesn't slows down your computer.

What do you dislike?

The work flow is not user friendly. It is more time consuming to go thru the Project manager tool and the use of the gpk file than the AutoCAD Civil 3D. In addition, changes require time consuming updates on multiple files and drawings. NOTE: I haven't work with the latest version of Geopak or with the Corridor Modeler tool.

Our firm provides roadway design services for the Florida Dept. of Transportation and other municipalities.

GEOPAK review by Matthew R.
Matthew R.

"CAD Platform without the "

What do you like best?

The interface is easy to use and customize. The visual based command buttons help improve workflow.

What do you dislike?

They have the same command button shown multiple locations. The visualization interface needs work. It is too complicated for the average user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When switching to GEOPAK make sure that you get training and be willing to get into the program to explore its multiple functions.

We are able to utilize Bentley GEOPAK to complete design needed for our clients. We have been able to start using the 3D function to provide our clients with a more complete package.

GEOPAK review by Lizardo C.
Lizardo C.

"Lizardo's Review"

What do you like best?

Ability to make my design of highways easier and more efficient. I like the new way GEOPAK is headed with all the new corridor modeling and 3D.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the old way of doing cross sections with criteria.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an excellent product that should be the recommended program to use in all highway and roadway engineering projects.

Our design is able to be completed faster (if the user is capable of using the program). Using the new 3D features helps the Engineer look at aspects that were previously hard to look at.

GEOPAK review by Matt P.
Matt P.

"Geopak Reciew"

What do you like best?

The ability to use Geopak is very easy with many different types of functions and uses. I specifically used it for transportation, which allowed me to do many different things such as stationing and modeling.

What do you dislike?

The issue with Geopak that I found was that I do not know what else it could've been used for besides the transportation aspect. Although I am sure there are many other ways to use it, I didn't get to see them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to learn as much of the program as possible

The creation of models and highway corridors was the biggest use for myself. What I realized is that Geopak allows for the combination of all areas of the transportation design to be implemented into one program.

"Geopak Corridor Modeler"

What do you like best?

I started liking Geopak Civil Engineering Suite when the SS2 series was introduced. The best part is the option to use the Corridor Modeler instead of writing lengthy criteria files for plotting cross sections. If you know how to play with the conditions in the corridor modeler only couple of Cross Sections Templates would be enough to get the job done.

What do you dislike?

Should be more user friendly. Initial setup for a job particularly working with Corridor Modeler sometimes become too cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Should come up with easier options particularly for quantity computation inputs.

For cross sections jobs writing criteria and debugging them were very time consuming and hectic. Use of Geopak Corridor modeler has substantially lessen this burden.

"Only CAD suite i use."

What do you like best?

Overall it is very easy use and like that there are mulitple ways for a command - using an icon, drop down menu, or short keys. I really like using the data clean up command before doing quantity work. It is a way to find if there are any gaps, overlaps or duplicates in the drawing file.

What do you dislike?

There are times where the suite locks up for no apparent reason and you have to restart the program. It is very frustrating when you are in the middle of doing something and have to restart.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you are given a pcf file from the client, it would be great have someone in the office that is well verse with computer code and GeoPak Civil in creating a workspace file. It will make a huge difference.

Our company is mainly a roadway and bridge company and the benefits of using GeoPak Civil is determanining what areas are going to be our main cut and fill areas and how to limit how much earth we disturb.

GEOPAK review by Consultant in Telecommunications
Consultant in Telecommunications

"Geopak Review"

What do you like best?

Geopak is a really powerful software package for civil design. Proper training is really essential, to get the most from the product. As with most design packages out there the more time you put in with it the more you can get out. It is definitely most useful for someone with a lot of time and patience to dig through the tutorials and training

What do you dislike?

User-friendliness and workflow is definitely not the strong suit of Geopak. A lot of the nomenclature is not intuitive, and the amount of customization is overwhelming as a new user. If you are not trained or have someone to assist you, this program will drive you crazy

Recommendations to others considering the product

We primarily used it for Transportation projects. It was generally straightforward to lay out the alignments and profiles. Surface grading was a bit of a challenge and bit laborious. Basically the choice to use Geopak comes down to what the client wants, and what our people have experience in.

GEOPAK review by Paresh T.
Paresh T.

"Essensial for every successful engineer"

What do you like best?

The Geopak Civil Engineering Suite has made itself very essential to today's civil engineering work environment. It is widely used in today's civil/ transportation design process. It is very easy to use and learn and provides accuracy as well as time saving to the project.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike for the software. Though in my experience, has some difficulties with Geopak drainage. It may be due to just not being used as much or could that I am not exposed to it much. Although I do think it can be improved and made more user friendly.

I am currently using the software for alignment, cross-sections and for roadway design features.

Consultant in Civil Engineering

"Essential for Roadway Plan Preparation"

What do you like best?

Speed of Software and Commands (vs AutoCad/Civil 3D).

What do you dislike?

Although being improved upon, Horizontal and Vertical profiles have always been evaluated and reviewed separately.I do know that in Select Series 3 and ultimately 4, the software will begin to review these aspects side by side with greater ease.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used both GeoPAK and Civil 3D. Both software can do great things and for the most part, the same kind of things. The biggest difference is that Civil 3D has always had a more clunky processing background which directly slows down a designers ability to be as efficient as possible when further developing a design.

I am no longer in Private Consulting and massive Plan Preparation since moving to County work, I have seen a lot of benefits in how Geopak is going in the way of using "Corridor Modeler / Typical Section Generator", The codeing is being captured in a more user friendly and more visually friendly way that ultimately corresponds directly back to what your "Proposed Typical Section" plan sheets should be like (I.E. what section from Station X to Station Y).

User in Civil Engineering

"Bentley Geopak for Roadway Engineers"

What do you like best?

The COGO, Cross Section, DTM and Survey tools greatly streamline the design process. The work together to create a 3D design in a 2D environment.

What do you dislike?

The software can be very glitchy. There are certain functions that are known for not working or crashing the program and the user just has to accept that it will not work on the first attempt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The 3D modeling tools that are being developed have great potential but there are common glitches that inevitably will be encountered. However, it is a very useful software.

Currently, our company designs state highway reconstruction and resurfacing projects. Microstation with Geopak is the required software for our client.

GEOPAK review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"GEOPAK user for the past 3 years. "

What do you like best?

What I love about GEOPAK is the Project Manager. It will guide you to the tools you need to complete your project. I think that especially for beginner users this can be very helpful. I also like using GEOPAK for my quantity calculations.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the bugs that pop up at certain times. The program also seems to freeze up when you have alot of references and large files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn the user preferences first so you understand the behind the scenes works of the software. for example: where your chains/points are being stored.

I use GEOPAK for design purposes mainly, I don't deal with the business aspects.

GEOPAK review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"Excellent Software For Civil Engineers"

What do you like best?

I enjoy using Corridor Modeler to quickly make cross sections. It is also great for creating existing cross sections, proposed alignment, profiles, and TIN models.

What do you dislike?

I honestly cannot think of anything that I genuinely dislike about the product.

I am incorporating Geopak to create geometric elements such as proposed alignments, profiles, and cross sections which serve the clients needs to improve their community with designs that will be utilized by commuters/pedestrians

Consultant in Civil Engineering

"Civil Engineer GEOPAK Review"

What do you like best?

I like and use the Cross Section Navigator quite often.

What do you dislike?

Custom Settings can be frustrating at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Personally being educated in the use of Auto CAD Civil 3D in college, I never used or knew what GEOPAK was. But once I started with my company I was introduced to GEOPAK. There was a time of learning and studying the software, but once I used the program on several work projects, I quickly preferred the use of GEOPAK software verses AutoCAD.

With that being said, if a company is looking to update or upgrade there design software, I would highly recommend the switch to GEOPAK.

My company and I have used GEOPAK in developing and solving several IDOT and Tollway transportation projects tasks. With the use of GEOPAK, we have saved time and increased production in our Structural and Roadway designs.

GEOPAK review by Robert B.
Robert B.

"Geopak is a great software for road and highway design."

What do you like best?

Working in road and highway design, Geopak seems to have all the tools I need. The workflow is seems to be very logical

What do you dislike?

I can honestly say it's hard to come up with something I don't like about Geopak

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend using Geopak for transportation and civil design projects.

Bentley is the required design software of our primary client.

"Solid, easy to use"

What do you like best?

Ease in updating alignments. Design Computation manager is also great forcalculations. Cogo and plan/profile labeler is great for finding elevations, offsets, etc. Converting design files to sheets is a very easy step by step process.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was easier to edit a geopak file. For example, to see each alignment updated in the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very similar to AutoCAD. Customize-able features and easy calculations are performed with Geopak.

Designing roadways and sewer systems. This product saves me a lot of time from doing tedious calculations.

User in Civil Engineering

"I use this product on a daily basis."

What do you like best?

The complex tools that GEOPAK allows me to use in order to improve my design.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of bugs I tend to deal with pretty regularly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this product. It has a lot of great tools and features that will greatly help in design projects to help save time and money and help ease the stress of a deadline.

The more I learn about to tools of GEOPAK the more I discover techniques that allow me to save time.

Consultant in Civil Engineering

"Great for Roadway Design"

What do you like best?

The easy interaction to work in multiple views between plans, profiles and cross sections makes it simple with roadway design. This is a great feature, especially when you need to visualization from all views of your design.

What do you dislike?

As with any complex program, some applications can be hard to follow and understand. A tutorial within the software for each application can be helpful.

I work in roadway design and the benefits of Geopak help make roadway design faster and efficient.

"Geopak"

What do you like best?

I like the interoperability of the software in conjunction with Microstation. The software helps integrate a variety of tools such as DTM manipulation, plans preparation tools, a great cross section interface, etc. Geopak definitely aids in the design and engineering of roadway systems, include multiple disciplines such as drainage, lighting, signing, etc.

What do you dislike?

The main thing I dislike is having to load up specific project files if I switch CADD files between projects. The easiest fix I've found is to exit Microstation and re-start in the next project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Geopak for any roadway design.

We are solving roadway design problems and Geopak helps with ease of reviewing several what-if scenarios.

"Bentley Geopak"

What do you like best?

The easiest function in Geopak is the cross section navigator. Very easy to use compared to other Geopak functions.

What do you dislike?

I think some of the thinks in COGO are unnecessarily complicated, or more so non-user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For DOT projects, Geopak is useful as many DOTs use Bently Microstation and would expect the consultants to use the same.

The product is great for highway design. It helps for solving earthwork quantities, drawing cross sections, etc.

GEOPAK review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

"Nice software, no lagging. Could be easier to navigate"

What do you like best?

There is no lagging, it's quick and responsive.

Easy to use once you get the hang of it. A lot of options to customize once you know what you want and need

What do you dislike?

I wish the set up would be easier.

Out of the box would be a little bit more user friendly. Once you start using it and know what you want, you can set it up right. But to start when you are not sure what you need or what it can do, it might be difficult to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has it's benefits, very nice for roadway projects.

No business problems.

"Geopak"

What do you like best?

3 dimensional capabilities, quantity manager and wide usage by DOTs.

What do you dislike?

Not very user friendly; GUI is archaic; not transparent with background calculations

Used in developing roadway plans and had cost an schedule savings in overall design.

Learning about GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite?

* We monitor all GEOPAK Civil Engineering Suite reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.