GIMP

GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

Work for GIMP?

Learning about GIMP?

GIMP Reviews

Showing 371 GIMP reviews
GIMP review by <span>Ben T.</span>
Ben T.

Free, Effective Design Tool

What do you like best?

Since I work in a small company without licenses for Photoshop, I use GIMP in two ways: to edit photoshop files that others send to me and so I can do quick touch ups, color manipulation, and masking. The best thing about the product is of course its price -- it's free. There are a lot of tutorials out there regarding use and for beginners it's definitely easier to learn than Photoshop is. Also, if I already knew how Photoshop worked, and because there are a lot similarities getting used to GIMP was a breeze. This program is great for someone who wants to step up from the built-in editing tools in Photos or other native apps.

What do you dislike?

The layout is a bit confusing if you've used Photoshop in the past. Also, since it is a free product, it doesn't have some of the more power tools that Photoshop does -- so you getting what you pay for.

I can easily change photos' contrast, the light balance, and perform quick transforms to make sure they are client ready. I can work on photoshop files others send me without having to pay for the product.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about GIMP
GIMP review by <span>Jacob H.</span>
Jacob H.

Good alternative design program.

What do you like best?

Gimp is a very straightforward design program. I like how the tools are laid out. The tools include many different tools that can be found on other more advanced design software. The filters look really nice and there is a large selection to choose from. You can also customize your own filter and save them. I also like how the software is compatible with many different types of files.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the layout of Gimp. I can be very hard to learn when you are first starting with a design program. I also do not like the brushes and the brush engine that comes with the software. The brushes do not have a lot of good presets to choose from. I have also found at times that brushes will lag slightly. The text editing features also do not work very well. I find it very hard to preview and edit text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend others to try gimp. Start by watching tutorials.

I use gimp for my graphic design work. Gimp is a free software and it is updated regularly so it has benefited me by not adding an additional cost.

What Photo Editing solution do you use?

GIMP review by <span>Ho&#39;omana Nathan H.</span>
Ho'omana Nathan H.

Outstanding free photo editing software to rival Photoshop

What do you like best?

As someone who used Adobe CS when I got it free through my job, I have a lot of experience with high-dollar creative software. In my current position, I don't have access to a license (and don't really need one), but GIMP is more than enough for my needs. It allows you to edit files that come from Photoshop (.PSD) and to do most of the things I need (layers, export in multiple formats, etc.).

What do you dislike?

It's definitely a free product, so don't expect super high-end interface or support, but it's incredibly powerful and has great support from the developer and lots more around the internet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend a little time familiarizing yourself with the basics, especially if you're coming from Photoshop. It does most of the things PS does, but many of them are named differently or look different. It's worth just googling the functions you use in PS followed by "GIMP" to figure them out rather than stumble around looking.

I use this to produce various graphics for a Linguistics program and occasionally for use in linguistic geography presentations.

GIMP review by <span>Gary H.</span>
Gary H.

Free photo editing software

What do you like best?

Gimp can do just about anything that Photoshop can do, although it is a bit more cumbersome to use. But it is free software download with many features which would be useful to individuals, businesses, and organizations that need photo editing software, but don't have the funds to purchase.

What do you dislike?

Gimp isn't as user-friendly as Photoshop or other photo editing software. Instead of saving the file you've been working on, you have to export it to get it in JPEG or PNG formats.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the help manual, and take the time to learn the ins and outs of the program. While it's not as user friendly as I'd like, it has the capacity to do about anything you need when it comes to photo adjustments and graphics creation. If you're not sure, it's a free download, so it's worth a look.

Gimp can help you convert color profiles, adjust brightness/contrast, work with layers, etc. with the purpose of creating vibrant photos and graphics for your organization. Since it's free, budgetary constraints are not a problem.

GIMP review by <span>Vuchentala B.</span>
Vuchentala B.

good software to photo editing.

What do you like best?

I like that it is a relatively easy software to use. It isn't as complex as Adobe Photoshop, and will obviously be limited in some ways, but most things can be figured out using google.

Learning how to use it is easier than Learning other softwares. The look is simple and intuitive. Also they provide you regular updates, with fixes and new features.

What do you dislike?

I would like for Gimp to have an option for me to turn my art into a vector... Currently I do that with Inkscape. But overall, I prefer the usability of Gimp to other programs.

The UI for Gimp is not nearly the clean and usable as its pricey competitors, and some of the more advanced features, filters and plug-ins don't work *quite* as well. But hey: free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not have the possibility to access more "noble" but also more expensive instruments, this can be a valid solution. Consider however the fact that you will have to waste a lot of time learning how to use it and where all the tools you really need are.

If you don't have a lot of experience with other photo editors, it can be tricky to navigate and learn how to use different features.

I was initally going to have to spend almost up to $500 hiring a graphic designer for my sample library interfaces. But GIMP alone has allowed me to easily design my interfaces by myself. I am thankful for GIMP and it's easy to use interface, as well as it's low price of FREE!

GIMP review by <span>Adam R.</span>
Adam R.

A Graphic Design Software better than most, but still missing features

What do you like best?

GIMP is a great graphic design software, because it lets you manipulate the image using many of the same features found in Photoshop. You can create layers, edit and create shapes, cute images intelligently to then overlay over layers, angle and change perspectives of images, use countless paint brushes and shapes, paint exact colors and more. And for people new to the software, there are endless tutorials to teach you how to use the software. Both the program and the training are free.

What do you dislike?

My main dislike for GIMP is the lack of some features, including text manipulation, stronger selection tools, and an easier UI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GIMP is a great program for those looking to take a deeper step into graphic design before committing to purchase and use Photoshop. Photoshop definitely does more than GIMP can do, but most of the features it is missing is not necessary except for serious graphic designers. Give GIMP a try to learn how to do layering and manipulation of images first, and if you need more editing features, consider the step beyond it.

I am using it to create advertisements and website graphics for the church I work at. Since we are on a tight budget, I am not able to invest in expensive design programs. However, even though GIMP is free, it does so much more than many other generic and general photo and graphic design software programs available on the market.

Learning about GIMP?

* We monitor all GIMP reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.