GIMP

GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

Work for GIMP?

Learning about GIMP?

GIMP Reviews

Showing 383 GIMP reviews
GIMP review by <span>Olimar P.</span>
Olimar P.

design and color as an expert: Gimp

What do you like best?

If you need to design, illustrate, transform images or color them, your tool is Gimp. It does not matter that you do not have the skills of a painter, this tool has them for you. With it, you can transform images, change them in size, lengthen them, shrink them to fit the size you need. This tool has a lot of functions to do with your images, practically anything, sometimes it's just a matter of having good taste, because Gimp has everything you want: with the option: transform images: you can crop, scale , and give any shape to your images. With the "Paint Tools" you can give color effects to your images, draw freehand, give effects of erasure, clone pate of the image, copy colors or drip the color. With the "color tools" you can make color transformations of your images: balance the light, change the colors, change the effects of saturation of the colors, effects of brightness and posterization, and best of all, is that before accepting the effects that you apply, you can see a preview of what will be the final result. In the section "filters" you have more than 100 options to give special effects to your images: with GIMPressionist-Flowerbed you can become Monet, with GIMPressionist-Cubism you will be Picasso and with GIMPressionist-Patchwork, you will be your grandma. It is a great tool, excellent also for the design of icons or images for buttons, headers, backgrounds and borders for applications. It is also open source, works on Windows, Linux or OS X and many programmers who contribute to make this application one of the best.

What do you dislike?

the scalar function does not work well when you need to enlarge a lot. could improve algorithms that work with image scaling functions and improve their accuracy

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can imagine it, Gimp designs it for you

the design of icons for my applications and in general everything that has images

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about GIMP
GIMP review by <span>Jessie J.</span>
Jessie J.

Great graphic design and editing program

What do you like best?

I've been using GIMP for years for both personal and business use and I love it. Its a great, free, alternative to using Photoshop and offers many options for designing. You can create and edit images and then save and export them as various file types. I also like that I was able to teach myself to use the program and that it is easy to search for tutorials on the web to help when you need to learn to do something on GIMP.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything that I don't like about using GIMP. Over the years I have not had any issues using it. As long as I keep doing the updates as they are made and put on the website I don't think I will have any issues in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Search for videos on how to use the program and check with GMP community members who have answered questions you may have. Be sure to do updates if it has been a while since you have downloaded the program.

With GIMP being a free program I haven't had to ask for money in our budget to purchase it. In the past I had tried to ask to purchase a graphic design program but was denied as it is not necessary for my position. From time to time I need to do some image manipulation and this is my go to program.

What Photo Editing solution do you use?

GIMP review by <span>Ben T.</span>
Ben T.

Free, Effective Design Tool

What do you like best?

Since I work in a small company without licenses for Photoshop, I use GIMP in two ways: to edit photoshop files that others send to me and so I can do quick touch ups, color manipulation, and masking. The best thing about the product is of course its price -- it's free. There are a lot of tutorials out there regarding use and for beginners it's definitely easier to learn than Photoshop is. Also, if I already knew how Photoshop worked, and because there are a lot similarities getting used to GIMP was a breeze. This program is great for someone who wants to step up from the built-in editing tools in Photos or other native apps.

What do you dislike?

The layout is a bit confusing if you've used Photoshop in the past. Also, since it is a free product, it doesn't have some of the more power tools that Photoshop does -- so you getting what you pay for.

I can easily change photos' contrast, the light balance, and perform quick transforms to make sure they are client ready. I can work on photoshop files others send me without having to pay for the product.

GIMP review by <span>Jacob H.</span>
Jacob H.

Good alternative design program.

What do you like best?

Gimp is a very straightforward design program. I like how the tools are laid out. The tools include many different tools that can be found on other more advanced design software. The filters look really nice and there is a large selection to choose from. You can also customize your own filter and save them. I also like how the software is compatible with many different types of files.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the layout of Gimp. I can be very hard to learn when you are first starting with a design program. I also do not like the brushes and the brush engine that comes with the software. The brushes do not have a lot of good presets to choose from. I have also found at times that brushes will lag slightly. The text editing features also do not work very well. I find it very hard to preview and edit text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend others to try gimp. Start by watching tutorials.

I use gimp for my graphic design work. Gimp is a free software and it is updated regularly so it has benefited me by not adding an additional cost.

GIMP review by <span>Ho&#39;omana Nathan H.</span>
Ho'omana Nathan H.

Outstanding free photo editing software to rival Photoshop

What do you like best?

As someone who used Adobe CS when I got it free through my job, I have a lot of experience with high-dollar creative software. In my current position, I don't have access to a license (and don't really need one), but GIMP is more than enough for my needs. It allows you to edit files that come from Photoshop (.PSD) and to do most of the things I need (layers, export in multiple formats, etc.).

What do you dislike?

It's definitely a free product, so don't expect super high-end interface or support, but it's incredibly powerful and has great support from the developer and lots more around the internet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend a little time familiarizing yourself with the basics, especially if you're coming from Photoshop. It does most of the things PS does, but many of them are named differently or look different. It's worth just googling the functions you use in PS followed by "GIMP" to figure them out rather than stumble around looking.

I use this to produce various graphics for a Linguistics program and occasionally for use in linguistic geography presentations.

GIMP review by <span>Gary H.</span>
Gary H.

Free photo editing software

What do you like best?

Gimp can do just about anything that Photoshop can do, although it is a bit more cumbersome to use. But it is free software download with many features which would be useful to individuals, businesses, and organizations that need photo editing software, but don't have the funds to purchase.

What do you dislike?

Gimp isn't as user-friendly as Photoshop or other photo editing software. Instead of saving the file you've been working on, you have to export it to get it in JPEG or PNG formats.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the help manual, and take the time to learn the ins and outs of the program. While it's not as user friendly as I'd like, it has the capacity to do about anything you need when it comes to photo adjustments and graphics creation. If you're not sure, it's a free download, so it's worth a look.

Gimp can help you convert color profiles, adjust brightness/contrast, work with layers, etc. with the purpose of creating vibrant photos and graphics for your organization. Since it's free, budgetary constraints are not a problem.

Learning about GIMP?

* We monitor all GIMP reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.